Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,116 members, 7,953,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:06 PM

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? (18769 Views)

UBA Security Collects Bribe At The ATM From Customer, Fight Ensues (Video) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
pafestula:

yr generator, car etc can also give u electric shock, even yr TV antenna, why re u talking like this? When something is powered by Electric Enery and Solar energy, so what re u talking about? I guess you re not a scientist! And as for short paid... SIR U RE WRONG!!! Instead it wont pay u kobo, maybe u ask for 10k, and money inside is 3k, yr answer is "temporary unable to dispense cash"
Read my post again, I don't know why dat ATM machine shocks people. It's sometin dat I witnessed @ Ijebu Ode in 2007. Meanwhile, I neva mentioned generator & car. But do u wanna read anoda strange tin? Generators can electrocute u, TV antennas can shock u. Cos u v nt witnesd or seen sumtin does not mean it neva happened. Cos u dnt count d money u recvd 4rm an ATM machine dosnt mean pple who count theirs r stupid. It's ur problem if ur money is been shortpaid. It may sound odd 2 u or any1 wey no sabi 9ja. Bt its real.
As 4 ur reply 2 shortpaying, u sef read am well. U r not communicating.
Lastly I m not a scientist, I m an Artist. But I m a learned man.
Dis is 9ja. Strange tins can happen.

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
Danipassion: I think its advisable to count your money cos there may av been an error and mix up while (the bank staffs) selected the denominations to be used by the machine, eg. Mixing a #500 note in a tray that's meant 4 #1000 notes
Problem is, how do you prove this case to get a refund? Whether you count or not, you've been shanked.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chy22(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
guy that is very untrue. ATM machine has added extra one thousand naira note before to me. So i disagree with u.

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
When you do not do something, do not consider the people that do it foolish! It is wrong.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by bigtt76(f): 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
Outside Nigeria, I fit no count but INSIDE NAIJA? I go count more than 3 times sef. Who say ATM nor de make mistake? You forget say na human being the program am with cash everyday? Na so when fuel dispenser pumps were changed to the computerized version in the country ...we all thought ok now no more cheating of fuel amount dispensed ....you and I know the truth now. So guy forget that thing ...If I can get access to check the authenticity of the currency I will check sef.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by F00028: 1:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
waste of time. if you come up short who are gonna complain to?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by eldagaius(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2012
When a man gives me money, I count it. Why won't I count d money paid to me by a machine made by a man? Na wa 2 u o!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Adebayok1(m): 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
Though I do count my money from ATM, but I still ask my self if am short paid who am I going to complain to ?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ANYPEN(m): 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
afolabom:
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?

Oh, so ATMs are from heaven abi? You don't know who to complain to... MUMU!

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by blank(f): 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
I know a branch where they had to fire the ATM IT person for fraud. He structured it in such a way that the ATM pays one or two notes short. Don't want to mention the bank but its a new generation bank.

They were getting some complaints not a lot cos people don't always count their money. One day, a manager used that particular ATM and was 2 notes short. He insisted that they dig deep and they found out the scam. God knows how long it has been on for.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pafestula(m): 1:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
Oluwo1:

Lastweek i saw a corper counting money from atm b4 ejecting his card.. So no b only illetrate dey do am
Then who told u all NYSC Khaki members can define ATM machine? Or full meaning of the ATM? Abeg!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by cardoso111(m): 1:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
Yesterday I noticed torn notes among the bills dispensed!I took them to be chaged at the cashiers desk
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by dabrake(m): 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
In as much as I do not count mine, machines are not to be trusted. Once upon a time, i wanted to withdraw money via atm. After the whole processes, my money got stuck in the machine. The next guy came to withdraw and the machine paid him with mine own. We had to reach an agreement so as to get mine from him 'cause he thought the Nigerian god had 'blessed' him.

There was another day and on that day, i inserted 98 pieces of N1,000 in a counting machine but the machine counted it as 96 pieces . . .

What i'm trying to say is that every computed machine will always be accompanied with a MTTF
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by tjbash(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
ATM can make mistake ooooo. I handle dispense errors on ATM and there is an option for PARTIAL DISPENSE ERROR. I have treated almost 5 cases of such. what makes it perfect is that there is record for everything and it can be corrected.

On the other hand, I don't support counting money by ATM. Beware of thugs and hoodlums who may be waiting for you after flaunting the cash. You can count ur cash at a secluded environment.

Cheers!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 05, 2012
Na naija we dey o. Anything can happen.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chy22(m): 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Adebayok1: Though I do count my money from ATM, but I still ask my self if am short paid who am I going to complain to ?
there is up to 3 cameras in an ATM machine that captures u while make transction so belive me if u are short changed u can complain to the bank and something done to it
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pastie(m): 1:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
idirect: Yeah...I aint trust nobody in my country even machines grin grin grin
Thank you my brother.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by sashaa(f): 1:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
Chylo: Why is this on the front page now?
it is a very good topic. I have just learnt that the ATM can infact shortpay. So, i have to start counting from now onwards

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pafestula(m): 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
chy22:
guy that is very untrue. ATM machine has added extra one thousand naira note before to me. So i disagree with u.
u re still on point jare...But Short paid na lie!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chucky234(m): 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
Its highly advicable that you count your money before leaving the ATM,no forming big boy for there oooo I was shortpaid by one of the ATMs at MMA2,Lagos and only discovered that N1000 was missing from the money when I came out of Abuja's airport. The ATM dispensed two N500 notes instead of two N1000 notes,since then I don't dare leave the ATM without counting my money ooo,it has even become a permanent habit.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 1:48pm On Aug 05, 2012
chy22:
there is up to 3 cameras in an ATM machine that captures u while make transction so belive me if u are short changed u can complain to the bank and something done to it
The cameras are capturing your face and not the bills so where is the proof? And yes, I have been shortchanged before (500 bills instead of 1000 as some respondents have earlier stated).
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chucky234(m): 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
pafestula:
Then who told u all NYSC Khaki members can define ATM machine? Or full meaning of the ATM? Abeg!!!
Guy you no go kill me ooo
IMAO

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Ucheosefoh(m): 1:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
methodman: Well...i do so often just to see if d machine fit overpay me...lol
What if it over pay u ?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chucky234(m): 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
tjbash: ATM can make mistake ooooo. I handle dispense errors on ATM and there is an option for PARTIAL DISPENSE ERROR. I have treated almost 5 cases of such. what makes it perfect is that there is record for everything and it can be corrected.

On the other hand, I don't support counting money by ATM. Beware of thugs and hoodlums who may be waiting for you after flaunting the cash. You can count ur cash at a secluded environment.

Cheers!
Well said but don't you think that any thug(s) waiting to get the money from you will still attack you even without you flaunting the cash,its better you count the money at the ATM before leaving so you can walt into the bank at once if you notice any irregularity.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chucky234(m): 1:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
pafestula:
u re still on point jare...But Short paid na lie!
Guy wait till you experience it,I have been shortpaid once.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Sike(m): 1:58pm On Aug 05, 2012
Why not? Anything can happen you know?? That's why I can and will never trust anything related to MONEY. Thats just me.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Lachimex(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
Have u eva seen wer dey paste notice 4 countin of money at ATM?

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by emanobis(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
pls,dnt call us illitrates coz being ignorant of sumtin doesn't mean u r an illitrate...besides dz money is nt easy 2 cum by...abi my ppl,dz is naija wia a goat or monkey cn even shoot
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by mikymouse1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
Pls always count ur money when an atm pays u, atms in nigeria have recorded cases of over and under payment. Am currently the hop of one of the leading banks in naija. I know wat am telling u, it rarely happens, but it does happen. If u r either short paid or over paid, just make a complain inside the bank and ur case will be investigated n refund made if u have a case
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 05, 2012
I shake my head . . most people here are saying machines were made by humans, hence are bound to make errors. I laugh.
Are you guys learned at all? Most machines (or computers) operate on an advanced GIGO level. (Garbarge IN- Garbage out)
Okay, try pressing 2 + 2 on a calculator. You will always get 4.
Whether it's a new calculator with new batteries or old batteries, put Tiger battery or Flash if u like, 2 + 2 = 4 on a calculator
Do calculators make mistakes? The only mistake is you typing the wrong digits.
You should learn how ATMs work. It's very precise and the chance of making such an error of dispensing
a lesser amount of money is 0.00000000000000000000001%
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Warish: 2:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
so that when it's not complete u will hold the ATM responsible for not paying you complete. grin grin grin grin
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 2:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

Okay, try pressing 2 + 2 on a calculator. You will always get 4.
Dude, if the circuit board is faulty, you will not get 4.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chikki Chicken Foods - Location And Contact Address / What You Need To Know About Mobile Money / Fire Destroys Shops And Houses At Bariga (New Garage) Lagos (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.