Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? (18574 Views)

UBA Security Collects Bribe At The ATM From Customer, Fight Ensues (Video) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by JojoArmani(m): 2:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
Basic:
If we all share your kind of mindset, we'll all check soft drinks for dirts after buying them before drinking them, we'll all request to see how neat Mr Biggs kitchens are before buying from them, we'll all check that each page of a brand new dictionary is intact before leaving the bookshop, in fact, when we receive a delivery report after sending a text message, we'll still call the recipients to confirm, when our car fuel meters indicate low fuel, we'll still dip a long tiny stick in the tank to confirm...
Stop thinking like the early man!
seconded.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Godpinkin(m): 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
illiterate or not.......... count your money if u hav the time. This is naija.
Still waiting for that day it will overpay me.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by chemashie(m): 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
On top of small coins wey i wan collect make i no come count? Tell dat to marines.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pafestula(m): 2:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
I shake my head . . most people here are saying machines were made by humans, hence are bound to make errors. I laugh.
Are you guys learned at all? Most machines (or computers) operate on an advanced GIGO level. (Garbarge IN- Garbage out)
Okay, try pressing 2 + 2 on a calculator. You will always get 4.
Whether it's a new calculator with new batteries or old batteries, put Tiger battery or Flash if u like, 2 + 2 = 4 on a calculator
Do calculators make mistakes? The only mistake is you typing the wrong digits.
You should learn how ATMs work. It's very precise and the chance of making such an error of dispensing
a lesser amount of money is 0.00000000000000000000001%
u and I know much about ATM, lets free them, our posts so far speaks better bro
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pafestula(m): 2:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
I shake my head . . most people here are saying machines were made by humans, hence are bound to make errors. I laugh.
Are you guys learned at all? Most machines (or computers) operate on an advanced GIGO level. (Garbarge IN- Garbage out)
Whether it's a new calculator with new batteries or old batteries, put Tiger battery or Flash if u like, 2 + 2 = 4 on a calculator
You should learn how ATMs work. It's very precise and the chance of making such an error of dispensing
u and I know much about ATM, lets free them, our posts so far speaks better bro, wat they dont knw is.... Any mistake by ATM is powered and sponsored by human carelessness...GBAM!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by hassymo5(m): 2:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
but let me ask dis,,,, after counting and you short paid,,, who are u going to complain to? Lets say ur witdrawal is around 8pm nobody is there!!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olabiz2010: 2:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
. Sharap!!! Mr i know it all, why are you adamant and refuse to learn from others, are you saying you know more than everybody here, see let me tell you i have been shortpaid and overpaid before so what the f**k are you saying, it happens all over the world not only in naija. I have 2 borthers who are bankers are they both confirm it as well, though it's very rare
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by spyder880(m): 2:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.

I was paid counterfeit N1000 among the N20k I was paid. I took it into the bank and the money was collected and changed quickly. Is the ATM machine an illiterate?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
spyder880:

I was paid counterfeit N1000 among the N20k I was paid. I took it into the bank and the money was collected and changed quickly. Is the ATM machine an illiterate?
Exactly. The machine is mostly only as good as the people that put in the bills.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pafestula(m): 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
spyder880:

look at this irrelivant comment...So ATM machine still looked for d fake note itself and paid u? That is GIGO in GIGO out, now I see Nig re very far way back from technology and innovations...am out of this debate
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by slap1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
I count my money before leaving. I've once been overpaid by the ATM, I went to withdraw 5k and got 6k. I got a call from the bank, informing me that the excess 1k will be debited from my account. So, to those who believe machines are infallible, think again.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
olabiz2010: . Sharap!!! Mr i know it all, why are you adamant and refuse to learn from others, are you saying you know more than everybody here, see let me tell you i have been shortpaid and overpaid before so what the f**k are you saying, it happens all over the world not only in naija. I have 2 borthers who are bankers are they both confirm it as well, though it's very rare
If at all you have banker brothers, then they must have gone through school, but the school never went through them.

logica: Dude, if the circuit board is faulty, you will not get 4.
If the circuit board is faulty, the calculator's power won't come on

@all
NL members are mostly cave-men. If there's a problem with the ATM dispensing incorrect cash (higher or lower), it's not from the physical machine.
The physical ATM works flawlessly. Tell ur presido, Goodluck, to improve your network performance. Most problems arises when the messages are being trasnmitted.
Most of the ppl blabbing dont even know how it works.
There's a super computer located in the machine that does send the atm number, and encrypted pin, to the relay server.
The relay server is located at the ATM'S provider building. If the atm is located inside a bank, then the relay server is located right there in the bank
that's why most people prefer to use atms inside the bank's building at their particular branch.
If it's a roadside ATM, then the relay server is probably located at INTERSWITCH office (or the manufacturer of VERVE cards) depends on the type of ATM card you're using.
From there, the message is transmitted to your banking for confirmation of account details and balance.
Then it goes back to the server (INTERSWITCH OR VERVE head office) and back to the CPU . . the machine inside the ATM compartment.
once there's a glitch in network along these path, en error often occurs, e.g. debit without pay, more cash, less cash etc.

I bet your brothers at the bank do not know this, rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
ATM tech is nt perfect. Can anybody explain to me hw Diamond Bank Plc ATM in Calabar managed to dispense a FAKE 1,000 naira note?

The same bank identified and destroyed it as fake when my friend wanted to pay the sch fees of his daughter. It was a loss to him at the end as he ran out of grammar.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olabiz2010: 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
pafestula:
look at this irrelivant comment...So ATM machine still looked for d fake note itself and paid u? That is GIGO in GIGO out, now I see Nig re very far way back from technology and innovations...am out of this debate
. Look at this maggot calling someone comment irrelivant, you think you know it all whereas you know nothing. The dude said ATM paid him counterfeit money and you called that irrelivant? Your case na sorry
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.

I totally disagree with your statement. Even a well programmed robot could malfunction, sometimes...wink

Once, I was overpaid in a GTBank ATM. I had to get inside the bank to return the sum (N1,000) to one of the Managers.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Mucokey(m): 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2012
As for errornous services by ATM ..definitely, buh usually on rare cases cos I was opportuned to over_hear a man confirming from a money loader abt a short_change or sort. This banker owned up to a likelihood of malfunction of the ATM which can warrant such buh as for me ooh , I neva try to stand out at dat open to count and confirm and so far , no issues yet.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Aniah4u: 3:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
swaggerific: Sometimes some of the money gets stuck in the "dispenser"...as in the money will come out but a piece of it will be in the atm. And you can easily forget grabbing it. For me, I count my money ohhh...dont want to hear stories about my money after hustling all day and all night for
smiley
swaggerific: Sometimes some of the money gets stuck in the "dispenser"...as in the money will come out but a piece of it will be in the atm. And you can easily forget grabbing it. For me, I count my money ohhh...dont want to hear stories about my money after hustling all day and all night for
Typical Naija Man. Notin do U jare
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Anjasor(m): 3:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
@Mxxpunkxx
Ur post is very informative tanx.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olabiz2010: 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

If at all you have banker brothers, then they must have gone through school, but the school never went through them.

@all
NL members are mostly cave-men. If there's a problem with the ATM dispensing incorrect cash (higher or lower), it's not from the physical machine.
The physical ATM works flawlessly. Tell ur presido, Goodluck, to improve your network performance. Most problems arises when the messages are being trasnmitted.
Most of the ppl blabbing dont even know how it works.
There's a super computer located in the machine that does send the atm number, and encrypted pin, to the relay server.
The relay server is located at the ATM'S provider building. If the atm is located inside a bank, then the relay server is located right there in the bank
that's why most people prefer to use atms inside the bank's building at their particular branch.
If it's a roadside ATM, then the relay server is probably located at INTERSWITCH office (or the manufacturer of VERVE cards) depends on the type of ATM card you're using.
From there, the message is transmitted to your banking for confirmation of account details and balance.
Then it goes back to the server (INTERSWITCH OR VERVE head office) and back to the CPU . . the machine inside the ATM compartment.
once there's a glitch in network along these path, en error often occurs, e.g. debit without pay, more cash, less cash etc.

I bet your brothers at the bank do not know this, rubbish.
. Mr machine, you have justified yourself and i don't need to argue with you anymore because if you are in a court of law and Ɣ☺ΰ wrote such comment that means Ɣ☺ΰ be jailed. Let me ask you a question According to your comment'once there's a glitch in network along these path, en error often occurs, e.g. debit without pay, more cash, less cash etc' what do you think that will happen to the cash Withdrawn at that particular time. I think you are the first person to encourage people to count their money before leaving ATM stand coz as Ʊ have rightly said error can occur anytime. As ƒör ♏Ɣ brothers that are working in bank, what they confirm to me is that peolple do complain about being shortpaid by ATM
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 3:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

You don't know what you are talking about. Not all circuit problems will be that severe. In any case, your analogy using the calculator does not make sense. The point being, the ATM is only as reliable as the people that put in the notes. If there are errors in the denominations, then it will certainly suffer errors in dispensing. And then back to the point of this thread: even though I know errors are possible, I don't bother counting because it is pointless.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Elebiju: 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
I don't think u are a thoroughbred Nigerian cos u should know nothing is real here on this green space
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
@mxxpunkxx,pls shut up and stop misleading people.A computer at any level be it a calculator or more sophisticated machines is like a dummy variable and works on d basis of what is known as PROGRAMS....a set of instructions that tells it what to do.A program has 2 aspects which are d SYNTAX and LOGIC.Syntax has to do with maybe or not d program is well written in d language while d Logic asseses maybe or not d program is correct.Back to ur calculator question,if d program written for d calculator is altered e.g maybe to add a +1 to every answer,wen u type 2+2,it will never give u 4,it will give u 5.With ur argument so far,it is obvious u seem to know only about hardware,u know nothing about software and programs.If U are still in doubt,go get a c compiler or pascal compiler and install it on ur system so I can give u tutorials so that u can see things for urself.Back to d Atm topic,a very skilled programmer can make an Atm misbehave simply by changing d program,infact,that is a small thing for hackers/crackers to do ok? Just try and learn huh? And stop insulting people. Infact if U are still in doubt,here is a link that u can see ti confirm.A live case to see ow someone tampered with d Atm.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/programming_atm.html

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by adefash(m): 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
afolabom:
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?
you complain to the bank.of cause there can be mistake on the part of the custodian,loading 500 in 1000 tray.you have to complain to the bank.there are some errors whose cause can be established.u have to count your money even if u have to step aside for others to use the atm while u count it.i'm an atm engineer and i'm speaking as a professional.no system is perfect.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by DammyFx: 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
I Only count at the atm if i withdrew less than 10k
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by korrej(m): 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Basic:
If we all share your kind of mindset, we'll all check soft drinks for dirts after buying them before drinking them, we'll all request to see how neat Mr Biggs kitchens are before buying from them, we'll all check that each page of a brand new dictionary is intact before leaving the bookshop, in fact, when we receive a delivery report after sending a text message, we'll still call the recipients to confirm, when our car fuel meters indicate low fuel, we'll still dip a long tiny stick in the tank to confirm...
Stop thinking like the early man!
In terms of dirts I have seen someone collecting over 2hundred thousand naira from coca cola
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
adefash:
you complain to the bank.of cause there can be mistake on the part of the custodian,loading 500 in 1000 tray.you have to complain to the bank.there are some errors whose cause can be established.u have to count your money even if u have to step aside for others to use the atm while u count it.i'm an atm engineer and i'm speaking as a professional.no system is perfect.
You might be able to get a refund if the mistake is not a one-off error. But in most cases, it is simply a one-off (unintentional) error that will be difficult to trace (for instance four 500 notes mixed in with 1000 bills). If it is a case of large scale fraud, then it can be easily tracked.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Afodot0022(m): 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
me i count my money 4 atm o even though na 1 tousin i day always dey collect. Atm machine they also pay fake money. I wonder how this happens. This manipulation.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Afodot0022(m): 3:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
me i count my money 4 atm o even though na 1 tousin i day always dey collect. Atm machine they also pay fake money. I wonder how this happens. This manipulation...

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by DANILSA(m): 3:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
grin
mxxp ;Dunkxx!:
I strongly disagree with u, because the so called sensor can malfunction and short pay u. This is preventive measure. Be wise and count ur money stop claiming oversabi. if not, one day na wind go blow foul nyash.

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by RichEstate(m): 3:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sometimes, when it pays with both 500 and 1000 notes,there can be mix-up and you are shortipaid. I have seen it happen. It happened to me o! I withdrew 20k but 500 was loaded with 1k notes and it paid me 19,500. But dint count it cos i thought atm could not make mistake. When i got back to d banking hall, i was not believed and i had to bear the brunt cos it's a friend that used my account.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ocheejemb: 4:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
Some of you are just here claiming expert on stuff you know nothing about.

When dealing with any kind of computer, you must be aware that errors that no one could have foreseen can happen.

The same way an ATM can overpay you, is the same way it can under pay (people have already given countless scenarios, easiest is when who ever loaded the machine has put in the wrong denomination).
Is it not better to count the money before you pocket it and leave the vicinity of the ATM.
And if you have been mispayed wont it make sense to see how your account balance has been affected?

Someone has already mentioned the PARTIAL DISPENSE option when resolving ATM issues. Do you know more than the very designers of these systems who admit that
this is a possible occurrence and have put in the measures to handle this kind of exception?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fruit Juice Packaging In Nigeria / 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations / Sowget Exchanger: Bitcoin, Perfect Money, Deriv, USDT, PayPal, Skrill, AstroPay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.