Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,587 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41483 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:

grow a brain abeg...this your foolery is annoying....what prompted the legalization of arms in the u.s?where do u even stay?who started all these gang wars and everything? do u watch csi channel atall? the only good thing about the western world is that they have good press that hardly report all the crimes that take place there...i will accept that naija is worse than u.s crime wise the day i see or hear a 15yr old kid carry a gun and go on a shooting spree,or some dude eating up another live human being or terrorists hijacking two aircrafts and crashing them into uba or union bank towers...until then STFU

Dude eating another one? I guess you didnt hear of Clifford orji.

15yr carrying gun to kill, How is that different from 15yr old Guys who carry gun in Kano , Yobe and Kaduna to shoot people? How about the 15yr old who strap bombs to themselves to kill 200 ppl

At least, 200 persons were killed in the multiple explosions that rocked Kano metropolis last Friday from attacks by suspected Boko Haram fighters, Sunday Trust findings have revealed

http://sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9101:boko-haram-insurgency-spreads-to-north-west-200-killed-in-kano&catid=54:lead-stories&Itemid=127

This is less than 9 months ago. A bunch of youth killing 200 people at once.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:
grow a brain abeg...this your foolery is annoying....what prompted the legalization of arms in the u.s?where do u even stay?who started all these gang wars and everything? do u watch csi channel atall? the only good thing about the western world is that they have good press that hardly report all the crimes that take place there...i will accept that naija is worse than u.s crime wise the day i see or hear a 15yr old kid carry a gun and go on a shooting spree,or some dude eating up another live human being or terrorists hijacking two aircrafts and crashing them into uba or union bank towers...until then STFU

Dude, please don't just say grow a brain. Make sure you have one before you tell another to grow one.

What legalization of arms in the US? For pete's sake it has almost always been legal in the US as a core part of the American constitution. What are you yapping about?

Who started all these gang wars? What are you yapping about? You seriously want to claim that history of Gang wars started in America? So you watch the CSI Channel*(a channel I watch regularly as well) and you conclude that it all started in America? shocked shocked shocked

You will accept that Nigeria is worse than U.S crime wise the day you see a 15year old kid carry a gun on a shooting spree or some dude eating up another live human being? Really? WOW . . . you are quite SELECTIVE in what you consider crimes, huh??

Your case is a good example of why I tell people to step away from the TV and visit reality often.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Freddieyankee(m): 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude: It is not rosy in this US economy o! The economy is very bad coupled with the illegal immigrant issues. Mexicans are more liable to get a good job before an African, even if they are illegal.

It isn't rosy at all o.

If dem tell u to go work the kind job wey those Mexicans dey do... You go fit do am... So shut ur mouth if u av nothing to say. Yeye goat
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by mylunch: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . the sort of analysis you go hear from people on these issues leaves you in stupor sometimes.

So because you heard of ONE CASE of a robber leaving an elderly person, you have conveniently concluded that is the case in ALL of Nigeria? The old people, beggars, etc that have been killed, ,maimed etc in the various crime sprees, bombings, etc across Nigeria in just the last year alone are what? Rubber dolls? undecided undecided undecided
Try not over personalizing this issue,i hv taken into account other crimes,and my analytical conclusion is that don't dare crimes here,it's definitely beyond what we experience back home,even when this guys are aware they will get caught much after the crimes,they still go ahead.I mean real hard crimes,not moi moi.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:
as per the crime rate..its only boko boys that are giving naija a bad name security wise...here in lagos,night club business is thriving wella...i normally roll with ma friends every wkends..we move from chevron down to clubs in allen,from there to festac and end up at v.i and lekki every weekend..all these happen btwn the hours of 10pm and 3am b4 we retire home around 3.30am and honestly i have never experienced any form of crime...lagos is relatively safe at night..all you gats do is tip (like 200naira) those alaye boys at the parking lots of the various night clubs scattered all over,they will guard your car wella...

I have told you to limit your lies to people who never worked in Nigeria.

As at 2008 every week there are always Robbers on osborne Road in Ikoyi. I dont leave office till 10pm to avoid traffic because the robbers thrive in traffic.

What of in Apongbon? is there any week they dont rob in Apongbon

So which part of lagos is Safe? Lekki phase 1 and VI?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 5:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
kingoflag:

In the 6 months you lived out here, I bet even if you lived to be 300 yrs old in Naija, u'll never get the same level of "comfort" you did here and I don't care if you're sitting on $1million!
When you have mint Naira notes packed in a brief case in Naija you can get all the comfort you wished for,guess you mean good roads,constant power,security e.t.c
With your dough in Naija you are well to go,though I am thinking of relocating to Canada in few years but that can only happen if I have $1m in my account,that way I will have all the comfort without hustling or roaming the street of Vancouver job hunting.
A British friend of mine who used to the financial adviser to Best Western Hotels once told me that no Nigerian is supposed to travel out of this country in search of wealth because all the wealth you can think are in Nigeria and that's the reason why they left their families behind in the UK to come to Nigeria,think about that then you will understand that there is a goldmine in everything you do in Naija.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Typical Nigerians...The topic says one thing and they've turned it into a battle between the NRA and boko haram
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
semid4lyfe:

You applied for a job in a pharmaceutical company. . . .I thought you were a medical doctor abi na surgeon? undecided

You can't practice medicine here without going through a series of certifications do I decided to start somewhere a bit close to my vocation.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
mylunch: Try not over personalizing this issue,i hv taken into account other crimes,and my analytical conclusion is that don't dare crimes here,it's definitely beyond what we experience back home,even when this guy are aware they will get caught much after the crimes,they still go ahead.I mean real hard crimes,not moi moi.

Can you tell me what crime is bigger than going to church and blowing up everyone

or which crime is greater than Fulani herdmen wiping out a whole village killing women and children mainly.

Just tell me which crime

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by jydux(m): 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny,rhino,deshclones,hrhob,afam,dayokanu...pls guys dont stop commenting. Y'all are giving us the best comedy ever.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ocelot2006(m): 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
mylunch: You must be very smart to do this.

Yes, my decision was a smart one. At least I'm not cleaning toilets at Heathrow or mopping the floor at ASDA or Tesco. Down here in Nigeria my monthly wage (after tax) as an engineer is pretty decent (no, I don't work in an oil coy). At least I can easily take care of a wife and the bills for 2 homes. And I sure as hell don't have to pay a lot tax-wise. What most Nigerians fail to understand is the current challenges Nigeria faces are actually opportunities that we can take advantage of. I'll rather do that than live as a 2nd/3rd class citizen in another man's country.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Freddieyankee(m): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

cheesy
Don't be silly. He must have had a Mexican last name like Perez or Santiago.

Eg. Joseph Perez or Joseph Santiago.

I knew someone was gonna ask that question. grin

You must really have something against the spanish people and come to think of it they ain't the only countries without papers in this country... Simple if u do interview and u no do well apply for another one.... Let's give credit to the mexicians cuz this pple come here and they work there ass out to make minimum wage so abeg free them..... I don't no wat state u live in but don't blame ur unemployment on Mexicans..... Obama is black and just so u know I b true naija blood
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 6:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
omanzo02:

And u believe all that?

Even if she prostitut.e or deals in drug, don't she have overhead cost to pay?, because nobody is going to take u indoor without contributing to payoff bills, not in the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand some countries in asia. Did u bother to ask her monthly savings etc? grin grin grin grin

It could be possible if she is a yahoo yahoo girl.

You mean someone I know very well? in 2011 alone she made 115k a year . Thats like 18.4m Per annum

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 6:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
hrhobi1:

MANNY MY MAN, U WAN MAKE I SHOOT U AGAIN? THE ONE SCARFACE DO U NEVER REACH??

Nna no shaking , my body is bullet proof and aggressive like Jason Statham, tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
Freddieyankee:

If dem tell u to go work the kind job wey those Mexicans dey do... You go fit do am... So shut ur mouth if u av nothing to say. Yeye goat

Does my comment warrant insults?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 6:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

I have told you to limit your lies to people who never worked in Nigeria.

As at 2008 every week there are always Robbers on osborne Road in Ikoyi. I dont leave office till 10pm to avoid traffic because the robbers thrive in traffic.

What of in Apongbon? is there any week they dont rob in Apongbon

So which part of lagos is Safe? Lekki phase 1 and VI?

the fact that you tell lies doesn't mean everybody does...ask anybody that plies the route i mentioned...most tyms i get into lagos way past midnight cos of my job..i still drive all the way from ikeja down to my base and i have never been harassed nor robbed....crime rate in lagos has reduced drastically..call home and verify..don't make baseless arguments here.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
Freddieyankee:

You must really have something against the spanish people and come to think of it they ain't the only countries without papers in this country... Simple if u do interview and u no do well apply for another one.... Let's give credit to the mexicians cuz this pple come here and they work there ass out to make minimum wage so abeg free them..... I don't no wat state u live in but don't blame ur unemployment on Mexicans..... Obama is black and just so u know I b true naija blood

I was just giving my personal opinion on an experience I had. I don't blame anyone for anything. It was just an assumption.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
mylunch: Try not over personalizing this issue,i hv taken into account other crimes,and my analytical conclusion is that don't dare crimes here,it's definitely beyond what we experience back home,even when this guys are aware they will get caught much after the crimes,they still go ahead.I mean real hard crimes,not moi moi.

I didn't personalize anything I said. I simply followed your own logic there to come to the conclusion that you probably need to get our of your head some.

Don't lie. You definitely did not take other crimes into account because there is no logical way anyone can analytically arrive at the conclusion you did. There is NO EVIDENCE to support your claim that crimes in the US is beyond crimes back in Nigeria. If at all, judging by frequency of reports, and the fact that not all crimes are reported or investigated in Nigeria, it is possible that crimes in Nigeria far exceed crimes in the USA. But not only we can get better numbers from the Nigerian end can we adequately verify this assumption, which seems more plausible than the egghead claim that crimes are worse in Nigeria because one elderly person you heard of was spared.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by jydux(m): 6:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
Freddieyankee:

Bro...if u need someone to insult, y dnt u begin wt u
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:

the fact that you tell lies doesn't mean everybody does...ask anybody that plies the route i mentioned...most tyms i get into lagos way past midnight cos of my job..i still drive all the way from ikeja down to my base and i have never been harassed nor robbed....crime rate in lagos has reduced drastically..call home and verify..don't make baseless arguments here.

I told you to differentiate the people you can bluff and me..Below is a report from the US embassy stating exactly the same thing I said. Robbery on osborne was a regular thing that most colleagues at work would wait till late before leaving

There also has been an increase in reliable reports of armed robberies in and around Ikoyi, but more specifically the area of Osborne Road-Dolphin Estate. The criminals time their attacks to coincide with traffic traveling between Ikoyi and the mainland in the early evening to capitalize on the inevitable congestion and slower moving traffic. Criminals have previously set up roadblocks masquerading as police checkpoints and used other ruses to ambush unsuspecting motorists traveling between the airport and the islands in the Kingsway Road-2nd Avenue area and along the Third Mainland Bridge, particularly in the early morning hours (0400-0500).
http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/wm_07022007.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 6:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
My Yankee guys have so been divided on this issue,why majority of them admitted that things are really hard down there few other still think otherwise.
To be honest things are damn hard in the states,even my big sister (a white American) is hoping that she win her divorce case which is on going so she can be able to pay off her many debts. This is a woman who worked for Exxon Mobile for 12 whole years yet cannot even rasie $5000 conviniently let alone Naija guys who don't even have good jobs,even the few that have average jobs still struggle due to the huge bills waiting for you at the end of every month.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
There was another news of a Young Ibo lady that was killed by Armed Robbers around Apongbon in 2007

She used to work with Ericcson, She was a friend of a colleague of mine
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
chucky234: My Yankee guys have so been divided on this issue,why majority of them admitted that things are really hard down there few other still think otherwise.
To be honest things are damn hard in the states,even my big sister (a white American) is hoping that she win her divorce case which is on going so she can be able to pay off her many debts. This is a woman who worked for Exxon Mobile for 12 whole years yet cannot even rasie $5000 conviniently let alone Naija guys who don't even have good jobs,even the few that have average jobs still struggle due to the huge bills waiting for you at the end of every month.

Well things are tough in America but compare it to Nigeria and see what its like

In US they report an unemployment record of 10%.

Can you guess what the unemployment record is in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
chucky234: My Yankee guys have so been divided on this issue,why majority of them admitted that things are really hard down there few other still think otherwise.

Things are hard doesn't mean people can't afford it. No one asked her to incur the debts she was in, if you don't manage your finance well, the result is DEBT. That she worked for Exxon or Goldman Sachs or even the FG is irrelevant, bottom line is she poorly managed her finance. If after all these years you claimed she worked at Exxon without raising $5,000 then it begs to me wonder how much she really earned at Exxon. People when they're cash need, then turn to savings or investments such as retirement or otherwise, so if she doesn't have none... all I can is is na wa,
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 6:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
Lies!!!!!!! don't let anyone deceive you that it is not rosy in the diaspora. It is defintely not a place for a lazy-man, and i want to make money-quickly-kind-of a person. If you are an illegal immigrant, your woes have just started.

The truth is if you really want to make it big here, "go to school" and study a high- paying course in school, if you settle for dance and linguistic then you have a long road infront of you. create something that no one has ever created, it is a baby that own "face book". start up a business, you can get loans if you have good credit history.

I know small young boys and girls who are Nigerians, that studied, medicine and engineering, and those who also have their own businesses. omo!!! you do not want to know how much those kids are making.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp: Lies!!!!!!! don't let anyone deceive you that it is not rosy in the diaspora. It is defintely not a place for a lazy-man, and i want to make money-quickly-kind-of a person. If you are an illegal immigrant, your woes have just started.

The truth is if you really want to make it big here, "go to school" and study a high- paying course in school, if you settle for dance and linguistic then you have a long road infront of you. create something that no one has ever created, it is a baby that own "face book". start up a business, you can get loans if you have good credit history.

I know small young boys and girls who are Nigerians, that studied, medicine and engineering, and those who also have their own businesses. omo!!! you do not want to know how much those kids are making.

Very true. But how much of the money you make can you really enjoy?

As for me, I must have something going for me in naija cos the experience gained over here can be used to start something lucrative in naija. In naija, the money you make is yours while abroad the money you make isn't necessarily yours. My 2 pence.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

I told you to differentiate the people you can bluff and me..Below is a report from the US embassy stating exactly the same thing I said. Robbery on osborne was a regular thing that most colleagues at work would wait till late before leaving

dude quit messing with urself...your article dates way back to 2007..thats like 5yrs ago...a kid that was birthed around that time should be in primary one or two...come back to the present...lagos used to be bad crime wise,same as ph..but it is peaceful now...same thing as abuja that used to be peaceful way back becoming a crime haven now...moreover why has no naija based guy countered ma assertion?kindly call home and get in touch with reality.
dayokanu:

Well things are tough in America but compare it to Nigeria and see what its like

In US they report an unemployment record of 10%.

Can you guess what the unemployment record is in Nigeria?

naija has no verifiable statistics man..thats why anybody can open his yap and spew conflicting figures...unemployment is not that bad...any hardworking guy in naija will definitely eat..its a fact..just that so many peeps want white collar jobs,jobs they will sit under a/c and work...you must be privy to the thread on dangote's company's recruitment of graduate drivers..you also saw silly statements lazy youths were making...nobody wants to farm or do other business that will generate money....i was into property business b4 i got my present job and was making average of 70-100k in a bad month..same with so many guys that are making money,same as barbers,recharge card sellers...go to balogun,ladipo,nnewi,etc and see young able bodied youths making mad money..in ladipo for example,you see guys that will approach you,take you to shops where you will get good bargains and earn commission from the sellers....life is tough no doubt but it is not impossible..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
I spent close to 3 years in norway, did my masters there and worked for 1year. Life there was quite comfortable but due to the kind of jobs I was doing there, I had no self fulfilment. But I will forever bless the day I took the decision to return to Nigeria, friends in Norway laughed and scorned at my decision, but I knew what I wanted and I knew my destiny was going to be fulfiled in Nigeria. I returned home, the 1st 3months were quite tough, got duped by a fraudstar who was supposed to be my bestfriend, wrote several tests,my disposable funds were already getting exhausted. But on the 23rd of December 2011, I received 2 great job offers, and I knew my ball had started rolling. And todday, despite the imperfections of Nigeria as a country, I have no regrets returning home, because Nigeria has been a launchpad through which my professional career has smoothly taken off.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Very true. But how much of the money you make can you really enjoy?

as much as possible, if you live within your means and do not incur unnecessary debts. you will have enough to enjoy after the necessary deductions (tax and medical insurance, i mean).
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 6:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

as much as possible, if you live within your means and do not incur unnecessary debts. you will have enough to enjoy after the necessary deductions (tax and medical insurance, i mean).

Did you say enough? Hmm, enough is overstatement, besides the tax bracket is high for most of those folks who earn such amounts. Some one who earns $100,000 here and someone who earns $100,000 in Nigeria, I strongly believe the person in Nigeria has enough money than person here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by boyendowed(m): 6:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
kingoflag:

Riiiiiggghhhht. . . . Joseph Santiago. . . Because, Jesus, Jose, Javier and Juan have mysteriously disappeared from Spanish Lexicon

Y'all with these obviously tall tales. . . . damn!

smh

You guys are funny.He said mexican looking which means the guy is latino.So a Latino can't have an English name? What do you think is Fat Joe's real name? His real name is Joseph Antonio Cartagena
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
boyendowed:

You guys are funny.He said mexican looking which means the guy is latino.So a Latino can't have an English name? What do you think is Fat Joe's real name? His real name is Joseph Antonio Cartagena

Bruv pls don't waste your time arguing with some people here. Some of them have very low IQs and can't think outside a sentence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Which Nice Country Can I Relocate To Legally With ₦8m? / Accident On Calabar Itu Highway (Graphic Photos) / Terrible Accident Along Potiskum Road. Anybody Knows The Victims?(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.