Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (92056 Views)

Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 11:36pm On Aug 24, 2013
Someone mentioned the Igbo word for child is nwa. The Tsonga and venda word for child is nwana. The Zulu word for child is (um)twana from I'm guessing umuntwana which literally would mean little person. The plural is abantwana. Could be a connection or it could just be coincidence. I'm curious to know what are the west African language equivalents of commonly shared Bantu words like meat(nyama), goat(mbuzi), chicken(nkukhu), drink (nwana). Maybe simple words might be more likely to be shared like words for 123 or water, animal, tree, hair, mother, father etc.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 25, 2013
Tony Spike: I don't speak French. Quite sorry about that. Learnt very little French in my high school though. These are my views about the Bantu expansion theory:

A) The Bantus once occupied areas around the ancient Misri and Sudan pre-2500 BC.

B) Political upheavals around Egypt and its vassal states (Sudan and Kush/Nubia) affected the Bantus which led to their early migrations out of their homelands.

C) These migrations started as far back as 2000 BC.

D) SOME of the INITIAL migrants settled around Western Cameroun/Eastern Nigerian. These migrants may have taken advantage of the large water body occupying the areas around modern Chad, Niger and Cameroon to transport themselves.

E) Again, certain conditions led SOME clans to start migrating Southwards in search of political autonomy and economic prosperity in terms of land ownership.

F) The migration eventually ended at the Southernmost tip of Africa (South Africa) approximately after over 2000 yrs of wandering around Eastern Africa, Central Africa and Southern Africa.

G) The Nigerian/Cameroun route was not the only migration path of the Bantus. It is believed that some migrated through other routes e.g. through Kongo into Kenya and Tanzania. Infact, there are several possible routes too...

These are my views...

I think this theory is spot on!
it explains a whole lot!
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 6:39am On Aug 25, 2013
brainwave360: Someone mentioned the Igbo word for child is nwa. The Zulu word for child is (ntwana) singular is mtwana from umuntwana which literally would mean little person. The plural is abantwana. Could be a connection or it could just be coincidence. Since the word is really a play on the word for people, so Sothos for eg. who use Batho for people could have used bathonyana for children which would literally mean little people but their word for children I think is bana. I'm curious to know what are the west African language equivalents of commonly shared Bantu words like meat(nyama), goat(mbuzi), chicken(nkukhu), drink (nwana). Maybe simple words might be more likely to be shared like words for 123 or water, animal, tree, hair, mother, father etc.

West Africa has over 300 languages. You need to have a target group to have a fruitful comparison. In my opinion, the Igbo language might be a good place to start. Most of the 'basic' words in Yoruba and Igbo tend to have emerged from the same source. This might interest you:

Chicken - Okuko(Igbo), Akuko (Yoruba), Nkukhu(Zulu)

Could it be a coincidence?

Meanwhile, Water is almost the same in Yoruba and Igbo. The word is a variation of the ancient Egyptian version.

Water - MW (ancient Kemet/Egypt) - Omi(Yoruba) - Mmiri(Igbo)

I'll give you other comparison later. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 10:18am On Aug 25, 2013
brainwave360: Someone mentioned the Igbo word for child is nwa. The Zulu word for child is (ntwana) singular is mtwana from umuntwana which literally would mean little person. The plural is abantwana. Could be a connection or it could just be coincidence. Since the word is really a play on the word for people, so Sothos for eg. who use Batho for people could have used bathonyana for children which would literally mean little people but their word for children I think is bana. I'm curious to know what are the west African language equivalents of commonly shared Bantu words like meat(nyama), goat(mbuzi), chicken(nkukhu), drink (nwana). Maybe simple words might be more likely to be shared like words for 123 or water, animal, tree, hair, mother, father etc.

Igbo
meat - anu
goat - ewu
chicken - okuko
drink - mmi
water - mmiri/ mmili (can't see how it's almost same as "omi" )
animal - anuohia/ anuofia
tree - osisi ("oshishi" )
hair - mkpuru isi (mkpuru "ishi" )
mother - nne
father - nna

I think the word for chicken may have been borrowed. Have we always had chickens in our part of the world?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by moksofafrica: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2013
I am a Bakweri from the Cameroonian coast, Limbe or Victoria if you wish, interested in the origins of the Bantus.I understand several centuries ago they originated from the area between the Niger Delta and Lake Chad to settle in Central, Eastern and Southern Africa.The tribes of the Cameroonian Douala language group, The Barondos,Bakossis, Bakundus,Bakweries,Doualas,Mungos, Pungos,Bimbias etc of Cameroon constitute one of the northern most extremities of the bantus in Africa. I suppose some Nigerian groups are bantoid or partly bantoid? The distinguishing characteristic of the group has been their name for people\men bantu\plural and muntu\singular.In my dialect men are wato\plural and moto\singular. In the related Douala dialect the words used are bato and moto.I would like to present a short list of words which can be used in determining linguistic and lexical similarities:
man moto (lingala)moto
men wato (douala)bato
meat nyama
cow nyaka
goat mboli
elephant njoku
house ndawo (douala)dabo
mother nyango\nyange
father sango\sange
water maliwa (douala)madiba

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2013
moksofafrica:
I am a Bakweri from the Cameroonian coast, Limbe or Victoria if you wish, interested in the origins of the Bantus.I understand several centuries ago they originated from the area between the Niger Delta and Lake Chad to settle in Central, Eastern and Southern Africa.The tribes of the Cameroonian Douala language group, The Barondos,Bakossis, Bakundus,Bakweries,Doualas,Mungos, Pungos,Bimbias etc of Cameroon constitute one of the northern most extremities of the bantus in Africa. I suppose some Nigerian groups are bantoid or partly bantoid? The distinguishing characteristic of the group has been their name for people\men bantu\plural and muntu\singular.In my dialect men are wato\plural and moto\singular. In the related Douala dialect the words used are bato and moto.I would like to present a short list of words which can be used in determining linguistic and lexical similarities:
man moto (lingala)moto
men wato (douala)bato
meat nyama
cow nyaka
goat mboli
elephant njoku
house ndawo (douala)dabo
mother nyango\nyange
father sango\sange

Njoku is an Igbo name...would never have thought it means elephant in a different language, interesting.

man - nwoke, okorobia (young man), okenye (older man)
men - umu nwoke, umu okorobia (group of young men), okenye (older men)
cow - ehi
elephant - enyimba
house - ulo/ uno/ uyo

I've left out words I translated in an earlier post.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 12:48am On Aug 26, 2013
Tony Spike:

Meanwhile, Water is almost the same in Yoruba and Igbo. The word is a variation of the ancient Egyptian version.

The word for water in zulu is (a)manzi, in other SA languages Venda & Sotho its madi and metsi. In Swahili its maji in Lingala its mayi. So the proto bantu word can be assumed to have a Mmm sound at the beginning and end with an ee sound. Since that seens to be the common denominator. So there could be a connection with Mmiri and MW. In Arabic its Maa, hebrew its maam in berber its amazi and for kicks in Japanese its mizu grin .

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 1:00am On Aug 26, 2013
moksofafrica:

man moto (lingala)moto
men wato (douala)bato
meat nyama
cow nyaka
goat mboli
elephant njoku
house ndawo (douala)dabo
mother nyango\nyange
father sango\sange

The zulu equivalents are

man(as in human/person) umuntu
Man (as in a male) indoda, umlisa
men(as in people) abantu
Men (as in many males) amadoda, abeslisa
In the basotho languages spoken here in South Africa they also use moto and bato for person and people.

meat nyama
cow nkomo
goat mbuzi
elephant ndlovu
house muzi, indlu, ikhaya
In zulu the word ndawo means place

mother nyoko, mama, mage, unina,
father yihlo, yise, baba/babe
water amanzi
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 4:46am On Aug 26, 2013
brainwave360:

The zulu equivalents are

man(as in human/person) umuntu
Man (as in a male) indoda, umlisa
men(as in people) abantu
Men (as in many males) amadoda, abeslisa
In the basotho languages spoken here in South Africa they also use moto and bato for person and people.

meat nyama
cow nkomo
goat mbuzi
elephant ndlovu
house muzi, indlu, ikhaya
In zulu the word ndawo means place

mother nyoko, mama, mage, unina,
father yihlo, yise, baba/babe
water amanzi

Interesting, I'm glad you've finally found a good comparison with Zulu words. I think all the variations of the word 'water' came from the ancient Kemet version which is 'MW'. This is same as 'people' which means MTU in ancient Kemet. The Igbos of Nigeria are classified as Proto-Bantu, and as such, they have fewer Bantu words in their lexicon.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 7:31am On Aug 26, 2013
Tony Spike:

Interesting, I'm glad you've finally found a good comparison with Zulu words. I think all the variations of the word 'water' came from the ancient Kemet version which is 'MW'. This is same as 'people' which means MTU in ancient Kemet. The Igbos of Nigeria are classified as Proto-Bantu, and as such, they have fewer Bantu words in their lexicon.

it's Cameroonians who are proto-bantu apparently, as they are a cross between bantu and West African groups.
Based on proximity, natives of Cross River and Benue should be proto-bantu or even full on bantu, which they aren't.
Efik/ Ibibio has no "ch" alphabet in their lingua which Igbo has.

All languages must have originated from the same source hence some similarities, but there are no glaring similarities between Igbo, Efik/ Ibibio languages and bantu.

moksofafrica and brainwave360, how do you personalize in your respective languages. How do you say: my house, for example?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by 740megawatts: 8:40am On Aug 26, 2013
some-girl:

it's Cameroonians who are proto-bantu apparently, as they are a cross between bantu and West African groups.
Based on proximity, natives of Cross River and Benue should be proto-bantu or even full on bantu, which they aren't.
Efik/ Ibibio has no "ch" alphabet in their lingua which Igbo has.

All languages must have originated from the same source hence some similarities, but there are no glaring similarities between Igbo, Efik/ Ibibio languages and bantu.

moksofafrica and brainwave360, how do you personalize in your respective languages. How do you say: my house, for example?

Tell me, what does Njoku mean in Igbo language. Although, I still think the Igbos did absorb some Bantu words although not too glaring like their Cameroonian neighbours...

Apparently, The Zulu word, Ndlovu, for Elephant is a corruption of the original Bantu word, Njoku. Somebody must have been playing around with consonants in ancient times...interesting
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 9:09am On Aug 26, 2013
740megawatts:

Tell me, what does Njoku mean in Igbo language. Although, I still think the Igbos did absorb some Bantu words although not too glaring like their Cameroonian neighbours...

Apparently, The Zulu word, Ndlovu, for Elephant is a corruption of the original Bantu word, Njoku. Somebody must have been playing around with consonants in ancient times...interesting

Yeah, you might be right about the Igbos still. Still on this, the Zulus of Kwazulu-Natal province have a way of naming their locations. A cursory survey of such names are as below:

Umlazi
Umhlanga
Umtata
Umlaas

In Igboland, you have locations named as thus:

Umuoji
Umuahia
Umuokpu
Umunya

Isn't this interesting?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 1:01pm On Aug 26, 2013
740megawatts:

"Njoku" apparently is the name of an Igbo deity associated with yams.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Tony Spike:

Yeah, you might be right about the Igbos still. Still on this, the Zulus of Kwazulu-Natal province have a way of naming their locations. A cursory survey of such names are as below:

Umlazi
Umhlanga
Umtata
Umlaas

In Igboland, you have locations named as thus:

Umuoji
Umuahia
Umuokpu
Umunya

Isn't this interesting?

Prefixed place names like that are common in the East
Umu - children
Thus Umuahia - children of the market.
"Rumu" in Ikwerre
Ibibios have place names beginning with "ikot" like "ikot-ekpene" and "ikot-abasi"
What does the "um" in the Zulu place name mean?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2013
740megawatts:

Yes, I think many bantu languages play around with consonants. Swapping Rs with Ls or vice versa. Even within dialects. for eg. where Zulus use Z Swazi us t etc like zami/zakho (mine/yours) and tami/takho (mine /yours).

The Shona word for witches is baroyi and the Sotho one is baloi. What's cool about this is the word abaloyi makes sense as witches in zulu since it would mean people who perform witchcraft but a different word for witch is used which also means someone who performs witchcraft umthakathi which uses a synonym for loya which is thakatha.

Back to consonant changes Swazi also changes th in Zulu to ts and d to dz. A lot of words are identical with just letter substitutions. Like is thanda in Zulu, in Swazi its tsandza and in Tsonga its rhandza. Words for eat too in zulu you say idla, idya in Tsonga and ija in Sotho. So yeah its possible ndlovu was once Njoku however simply being a language from Cameroon doesn't mean it hasn't changed as much as any other bantu language over the same time period.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by EMG1195: 1:22am On Aug 27, 2013
Tony Spike:

West Africa has over 300 languages. You need to have a target group to have a fruitful comparison. In my opinion, the Igbo language might be a good place to start. Most of the 'basic' words in Yoruba and Igbo tend to have emerged from the same source. This might interest you:

Chicken - Okuko(Igbo), Akuko (Yoruba), Nkukhu(Zulu)

Could it be a coincidence?

I'll give you other comparison later. Stay tuned!

Kenyan bantu here i have been interested in the west african origin of of bantus for a long time... here are my surprising views on this issue:

1. East and south african bantus originated in west africa from the cameroun/nigeria border 1000 to 5000 yrs ago.

2. But here is where it gets interesting all west and east african bantu's and proto bantu's including yoruba and Ibos, the ancient egptians, etc, originally came from south africa!...10, 20,000, years ago.

3. Apparently the greatest ancient civilization that ever existed, is to be found not in egypt but in southern africa where there are more ten million mysterious stone structures, gold mines and astronomically oriented megaliths.

4. Something happened 10,000 years ago that forced the proto bantus who lived in southern africa to abandon the SA region and to settle in the then green Sahara desert.

5. When the sahara desert dried up the proto bantus moved again to west, east and southern africa.

6. There is one thing that east, west and south africans have in common and that is metallurgy... gold and iron mining and also circumcision and many other cultural traits.

check out these videos to learn more about he so called Anunnaki sumerian civilization which in fact is nothing more than the great black Anu civilization... which created ancient egypt and the so called Mesopotamian civilization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6b9-lXtKTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVShn1vKV0
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by EMG1195: 2:02am On Aug 27, 2013
moksofafrica:
man moto (lingala)moto
men wato (douala)bato
meat nyama
cow nyaka
goat mboli
elephant njoku
house ndawo (douala)dabo
mother nyango\nyange
father sango\sange

I am a kenyan bantu from the kikuyu tribe and i think your tribe and mine are directly related.

Firstly the kikuyu have a very strange naming system which is not found in any other tribe in east africa but which i am informed is common in cameroon. The children are named after the grand parents and other relatives in a very strict order: the first and second born children are named after the grandparents...the first born boy is named after the father's father while the first born girl is named after the mother's father, the same thing happens to the girls.

Secondly, the name of your tribe "Bakweri" is interesting in kikuyu and swahili languges the name "kweri" means "truth"

man moto - (lingala)moto - [kikuyu] modo [swahili] mutu [meaning person or human]
men wato (douala)bato - [kikuyu] adu [swahili] watu
meat nyama [kikuyu] nyama [swahili] nyama
cow nyaka [kikuyu] ng'ombe [swahili] ng'ombe
goat mboli [kikuyu] mbori [swahili] mbuzi
elephant njoku [kikuyu] njogu [swahili] ndovu
house ndawo (douala)dabo [kikuyu] nyumba [swahili] nyumba
mother nyango\nyange [kikuyu] maitu/mami [swahili] mama nyanya[grandmother]
father sango\sange [kikuyu] vava [swahili] baba
water maliwa (douala)madiba [kikuyu] mai [swahili] maji
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 2:16am On Aug 27, 2013
welcomemy Bantu Brothers. How about restoring the Bantu Kigndom or at least Friendship. more trade between nations.
I would like to congratulate the East African especially Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania which are really working toward an integration between the people and are fast removing colonial barriers.

Long live the Bantu race

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 27, 2013
maybe kikuyu are an extension of bakweri..hum the world Is small
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by EMG1195: 2:37am On Aug 27, 2013
From theodora.com we get the following info on bantus:

"(literally Ba-ntu) is the most archaic and most widely spread term for "men," "mankind," "people," in these languages. It also indicates aptly the leading feature of this group of tongues, which is the governing of the unchangeable root by prefixes. The syllable -ntu is nowhere found now standing alone, but it originally meant "object," or possibly "person." It is also occasionally used as a relative pronoun - "that," "that which," "he who." Combined with different prefixes it has different meanings. Thus (in the purer forms of Bantu languages) muntu means "a man," bantu means "men," kintu means "a thing," bintu " things," kantu means "a little thing," tuntu " little things," and so on."

common bantu words across africa:

chiken = kuku (nkuku, ngoko, nsusu, nguku, nku)

ox = (-nombe, -ombe, -nte)

goat (-budi, -buzi, -burl)

pig (-guluba)

buffalo (nyati)

dog (mbwa)

hippopotamus (-bugu, gubu)

elephant (-jobo, -joko)

house (-zo, -do, -yumba, -anda, -dago, -dabo)

water (-ndi, -ndiba, mandiba)

drum (ngoma)
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by EMG1195: 3:14am On Aug 27, 2013
A small list of Ancient Egyptian words which survive in the Igbo language [compared with kenyan kikuyu/swahili languages]

EGYPTIAN | IGBO (Onitsha and Uburu dialects used) KAKA(God) | Ka (greater, superior) --- [kikuyu/swahili] Ka = small or tiny
Khu (to kill, death) | Nwu/Gbu (die/to kill)--- [kikuyu/swahili] = Ku = to act, to do, to become.

Em (smell) | Imi/Emi (nose, associated with smell)
Bi (to become) | Bu (to become)
un (living being) | Ndu (life)
Feh (to go away) | Feh (to fly away)
Budo (dwelling place) | Obodo/ubudo (country, dwelling place)

Dudu (black image of Osiris) | Mmadu (person) --- [swahili] = dudu small animal
Un (living person) | Ulo/Uno (living area, house)
Beka (pray/confess) | Biko/Beko (to plead, please)
Aru (mouth) | Onu (mouth) & kooh/Kwue (to speak)
Dor (settlement) | Dor-Nor (sit down, settle)

Ra -Shu (light after darkness) | La -Shu (sleep)--- [kikuyu] ri-owa [sun]
Aru (rise) | Anu/Kulie (up, rise)--- [kikuyu] Ara hu ka = to rise

Wu (rise) | KWu-ni/Kunie (rise)
In- n (negation) nh-n (negation)

Ma (to know) | Ma, Ma-li (to know) --- [kikuyu] maa = truth, --- [ancient egyptian] maat = truth, order, harmony.

Se (to create) | Ke (to create) & Se (to draw)
Hoo (rejoice) | Goo, ta-Goo (dance, rejoice)
Omijener (deep water) | Ime-me (deep inside)
Nen (the primeval water mother) | Nem (mother)

Ro (talk) | Kwo (to talk) --- [kikuyu] Kwaria = to talk
Penka (divide) Panje (break it)
Ala (Land of) | Ala (Land of, ground, boundary)
Amu (children) | Umu (children)

Ani (ground land below) | Ani (ground land below)--- [kikuyu] Athi = ground
Ka (higher) | Ka (greater, higher, stronger, above)
Pa (open) | Meghee (open)
Isi (leader) | Isi (leader, head (body part), female name as in igbo: “Isioma”)
Oni (AE City) | Oni-tsha (Igbo City)

Ikhenaten (name of a Pharaoh) | Ikh-em (Igbo name for a male representing high power) --- [kikuyu] Tene = long time ago

Au-nu (Crocodile) | Anu/Anu-Ma-nu (animal, beast) [kikuyu] andu = people
Miri (water) | Miri (water) --- [kikuyu] Kirima = spring of water

Nahasu (other Blacks) | Ahasi/Ani-hasi (Evening, night)
Ak (man) | Ok-a (man)
Ehn/Hen (yes, nod head) | Eh (yes, nod head)
Paa/Faa (fly) | Feeh/Faa (fly)
Utcha (dawn) | Uchi-chi/Utchi-chi(night)
MM (among) | Imme (inside, among)
W (they) | Uwe (they, them)

mag or magi [leader] --- [kikuyu] maki or mutamaki = leader.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 4:24am On Aug 27, 2013
Thanks all for bringing this thread alive. I've long suspected a distant cultural and social relationship (in time) between the Igbos (Nigeria) and kikuyus (Kenya). Some of my Kenyan friends and I have discussed this over and over again. At least, EMG1195 has confirmed this to some extent. I would advice Igbo and Kikuyu groups to read more about one another. They might stumbled across a lot of things.

On the other hand, I think the Luos and Yorubas once belonged to the same ancient Nilotic group some 3000/5000 years ago. The Yoruba language is more Nilotic than Bantu, this itself is sort of mysterious. I suspect the Yorubas are one of the earliest Nilotic groups that first migrated from the Upper Egypt. This is a topic for another time though...

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 7:40am On Aug 27, 2013
I fail to see any remarkable similarities between Igbo and Swahili or Zulu. I think words are being twisted around to appear similar.
Some of the Igbo translations I've seen here are inaccurate or don't apply to most ancient Igbo groups.

Igbo like most languages have things in common with many other languages especially surrounding ones.

One could decide that because me in french is moi and in Igbo mua, pronounced same way, they could be related.

Turkish is the only language apart from Igbo, I've come across, where possessive pronouns are m suffixes. Most other languages use a mi suffixes and others prefixes.

e.g
life - Uwa(Igbo); Turkish (Hayat)
my life - Uwam (Igbo); Hayatım (Turkish)

I want - A chorom (Igbo); Istiyorum (Turkish)

The above example doesn't demonstrate any remarkable similarities between both languages.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
^^Whenever you are translating words, it is better you do them in context.
It occasions better clarity and understanding.

Life (being alive)= Ndu

My life= Ndu m

My life (as per my existence and relationship with and to the world)= Uwa m

Uwa= World

Cho= Want, find (depending on the context of its use)
#JustSaying
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 3:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
kwangi: ^^Whenever you are translating words, it is better you do them in context.
It occasions better clarity and understanding.

Life (being alive)= Ndu

My life= Ndu m

My life (as per my existence and relationship with and to the world)= Uwa m

Uwa= World

Cho= Want, find (depending on the context of its use)
#JustSaying

I agree,hence my argument in my previous post. Contexts have been twisted to suit, in order to find few and unremarkable, if any similarities between languages.
I didn't bother to explain context as it had nothing to do with my point.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
some-girl:
I fail to see any remarkable similarities between Igbo and Swahili or Zulu. I think words are being twisted around to appear similar.
Some of the Igbo translations I've seen here are inaccurate or don't apply to most ancient Igbo groups.

Igbo like most languages have things in common with many other languages especially surrounding ones.

One could decide that because me in french is moi and in Igbo mua, pronounced same way, they could be related.

Turkish is the only language apart from Igbo, I've come across, where possessive pronouns are m suffixes. Most other languages use a mi suffixes and others prefixes.

e.g
life - Uwa(Igbo); Turkish (Hayat)
my life - Uwam (Igbo); Hayatım (Turkish)

I want - A chorom (Igbo); Istiyorum (Turkish)

The above example doesn't demonstrate any remarkable similarities between both languages.

True. I don't think anyone is saying there are lots of similarities between Igbo with specifically Swahili and Zulu, i think finding links between bantu and west african languages would be really interesting, we look the same so surely we have a common ancestry. Taking words slightly out of context for the sake of comparing is not always wrong. For example Thetha in Xhosa (a fellow Nguni language dialect with Zulu) means to talk but in Zulu it means to shout, the two words definitely have a common origin but the meanings of the words have changed. sometimes the meanings of words change slightly when languages are separated.

Now I'm not saying french is related to Igbo but many languages use a short word beginning with an M for me/mine/I. It could be a case of an ancient common human word which hasn't changed very much.

These are some words for me/I/mine in different languages

French - moi
Portuguese - mim
Spanish - mi

English - me
German - mir/mich
Dutch - mijn
Polish - mnie
Danish: mig
Norwegian: meg
Swedish: mig
Greek - mou
Hebrew - me/mi
Marathi - mee
hindi - main
divehi - mashe

Yoruba - mi
Wolof - ma
Igbo - mua
Swahili - Meme
Zulu - Mina

It could be a coincidence since there are many which don't conform to this. Words for mother and father I've noticed have common variations mama, ma, nana, papa, pa, baba, tata and variations of these too.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
The first image is a map of Y-DNA haplogroup E distribution. The second is of the E1b1a subgroup and the third of the E1b1b.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about. All men have a Y chromosome. Because women don't have a Y chromosome the fathers Y chromosome is passed directly to his son. You can therefore study lineage this way, because it is passed on relatively unchanged, but it can mutate over time. The two most common lineages in Africa are E1b1a which is associated with sub saharans and E1b1b which is associated with horn and north africans and is also found in south europeans and middle easterners.

Something interesting is that they say E split from an ancient group DE to form E and D however D is no longer found in Africa only asia. Only 5 people have been found to have DE and they were all Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 12:54am On Sep 06, 2013
E1b1a

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 1:06am On Sep 06, 2013
E1b1b

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by EMG1195: 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
moksofafrica:
man moto (lingala)moto
men wato (douala)bato
meat nyama
cow nyaka
goat mboli
elephant njoku
house ndawo (douala)dabo
mother nyango\nyange
father sango\sange

Hey man from cameroon, i think i found another kenyan tribe that you maybe related to... the luhya/wanga tribes who live on the kenya/uganda border.

The Bakweri may originally have come from east africa, in her book the "THE NOUN CLASS SYSTEM OF BAKWERI" cameroonian linguist BATE Beatrice BESSEM, claims that the bakweri came from an area in east africa between the nile and the congo.

http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:403421:3/component/escidoc:403420/bakweri_bate1987_o.pdf

Secondly the the ancestral "father" of the Bakweri, Douala, Bakoko, etc, is a man called Nambongo, who is suggested to have migrated from Uganda.

The name "Nambongo" is the traditional title of the king of the AbaWanga/luhya tribes of kenya which are related to the Baganda tribe of Uganda.

The Cameroonian connection. The Wanga claim that:

"The Wanga community originated from ancient Egypt from a person known as Makata between 4th and 5th century. They passed through Cameroon, Ethiopia, Uganda through Busoga; the Lake Victoria area in Kenya and as far as Naivasha and Kapsabet. They settled near Kaimosi in the 16th century under the rule of Nabongo Muwanga I who had sons: Wamoyi and Muwanga II. The title Nabongo refers to King. Muwanga II succeeded his late father as the Nabongo."

http://wangakingdom.com/index.php/wan-kinship/history

http://abawanga./2012/04/15/the-abawanga-tribe/

Luhya/wanga words:

Luhya - English - swahili

Nombi-i have constructed
Yaho- there - hapo
Shivuyi-Jerrican - mtungi
Inguvu-clothes,- nguo

Mboni-I am healed -,nimepona
Ambele-he/she has given me,-amenipea
Etsa-Look,-angalia
Muliango- -door
Mavuyu-egg
Milembe- hallo -Salamu
Ingo-Home,-nyumbani
Lupanga- machete -panga
Lijembe- hoe -Jembe

Mundu-a person,mtu
Makura-Oil,- mafuta
Shikombe-Cup, -kikombe
Amba-Nails,-kucha
Shitabu-book
Ivedia-Radio
Itsu-house
Shiteli-Bed
Matuma-maize

Tsingutsa-cabbage

Musala-Tree
vilao-shoes
tsikwuyi-firewood
Isimu-Phone,simu
Vunyasi-grass,nyasi
Ingokwo- chicken -kuku

Injira-road
Mabwoni-potatoes
Maremwa-bananas
Musatsa-A man
Mwana-a child
Mukhali-A woman
Matsi-water

Libokisi-box
Vusi-Unga - corn meal
Itivi-Television set
Isugari-sugar
Mulinjeti-blanket
VUnyasi-grass
Makhayo-cooked maize and beans,pure,githeri
Inguleme-Pig

Mikhonye-sugarcane
Machani-tea
Nguni-i am asleep,-nimelala
Navi-i have knitted,nimeshona
Mukoye-kamba - rope

Musahi-blood
Muchele-rice
Inda-stomach
Liswi-hair

Vulwale-sickness/ugonjwa
Shisinjiru-bathroom
Mushele-grandmother/old woman
Musakhulu-Old man
Mukhali-a mother
Musatsa-a father
Muyahi-young man
Mukhaa-young girl

Ikavati-cupboard
Vusala-porridge
Isutsi-fish
Vwina-deep hole/shimo

Imbuli-goat
Likondi-sheep
Linyonyi-bird/ndege
Nyasaye-Mungu/God
Shivala-Earth/dunia
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by brainwave360(m): 11:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
Where are all the Igbo or other west African translations ? Are there any Nilotes around here ?

Really interesting info EMG.

Luhya/wanga words:

Luhya - English - swahili

- Zulu

Nombi-i have constructed
Yaho- there - hapo

- Lapho

Inguvu-clothes,- nguo

- Izingubo, izimpahla

Mboni-I am healed -,nimepona

- Ngilaphekile

Ambele-he/she has given me,-amenipea

- ungiphile

Etsa-Look,-angalia

- Buka, bheka

Muliango- -door

- umnyango

Mavuyu-egg

- iqanda

Milembe- hallo -Salamu

- sowubona, kunjani

Ingo-Home,-nyumbani

- ikhaya

Lijembe- hoe -Jembe

- ikhuba. izembe is an axe.

Mundu-a person,mtu

- umuntu

Makura-Oil,- mafuta

- amafutha

Shikombe-Cup, -kikombe

- ikhomishi

Amba-Nails,-kucha

- fingernails is izinzipho. Metal nail is isipikiri.

Shitabu-book

- ibhuku, incwadi

Ivedia-Radio

- iwayilesi

Itsu-house

- indlu, umuzi, idladla

Shiteli-Bed

- umbhede

Matuma-maize

- umbhila

Musala-Tree

- isihlahla, umuthi

vilao-shoes

- izichathulo

tsikwuyi-firewood

- izinkuni

Isimu-Phone,simu

- ucingo, umakhalakhukhini

Vunyasi-grass,nyasi

- Tshani

Ingokwo- chicken -kuku

- nkukhu

Injira-road

- umgwaco, isitradi

Mabwoni-potatoes

- amazambane

Musatsa-A man

- indoda

Mwana-a child

- umtwana

Mukhali-A woman

- umfazi

Matsi-water

- amanzi

Libokisi-box

- ibokisi

Itivi-Television set

- iTV, umabonakude

Isugari-sugar

- ushukela

Mulinjeti-blanket

- itshalo, ingubo

VUnyasi-grass

- utshani

Inguleme-Pig

- ingulube

Mikhonye-sugarcane

- umoba

Machani-tea

- tiye

Nguni-i am asleep,-nimelala

- ngilele. Lala is used in a different tense

Navi-i have knitted,nimeshona

- ngithungile

Mukoye-kamba - rope

- intambo

Musahi-blood

- igazi

Inda-stomach

- isisu

Liswi-hair

- izinwele

Vulwale-sickness/ugonjwa

- ukugula

Mushele-grandmother/old woman

- gogo (grandmother),
Isalukazi (old woman)

Musakhulu-Old man

- umkhulu (grandfather), ixheku (old man)

Mukhali-a mother

- umama

Musatsa-a father

- ubabe

Muyahi-young man

- insizwa, indoda (man), umfana (boy)

Mukhaa-young girl

- intombi, intombazane

Ikavati-cupboard

- ikhabethe

Vusala-porridge

- iphalishi

Isutsi-fish

- inhlanzi

Vwina-deep hole/shimo

- umgodi (hole) ojulile (deep)

Imbuli-goat

- imbuzi

Likondi-sheep

- imvu

Linyonyi-bird/ndege

- inyoni

Nyasaye-Mungu/God

-nkulunkulu

Shivala-Earth/dunia

- umhlaba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.