Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,087 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (92053 Views)

Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:

Yes, I believe that the ancient dwellers of Sahara were the long-lost ancestors of the Bantus and Nilotes. They very much existed before a differentiated migration occurred due to dried-up Sahara. As a confirmation, I understand some parts of Sudan are still marshy till date. Infact, Lake Chad was about 25 times its current size some 8,000 years ago. I think a major climatic change altered the migration patterns.
Yes in south sudan there is the Sudd, i think after the Okavango it's the largest swamp in Africa, but none or few of the nilotes there farm cause they are river lake nilotes who depend on fishing. You mean the Chad was larger than lake Victoria, if so then it might have been where the Nilotes concentrated. Have they found farm tools, or any other trace of settlement in the heart of the Sahara?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 11, 2015
pkjag:

The teso are nilotes? I have a teso friend called Barasa/baraza, i thought it was a luhya name, what does it mean, cause its like everywhere in luhyaland. Is that Bungoma county?

Not mine, i think its for the tribes that had relatively long contact with the Nilotes or other groups, the central and coastal bantus do not have any word starting with O, not even the zulus, or any other tribe other than the Luhyas, kisiis and maybe the Baganda (correct me if i am wrong). If there are, they must be very very few, at least not that i know of.
That's Bungoma.

Baraza is a luhya name. He's probably mixed. Yes the Teso don't even circumcise. Have you heard them speak?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by VudulessAyisien(f): 4:56am On Apr 11, 2015
This is very very very fascinating. I'm of Benin descent and Cameroon. My moms DNA test had a small percentage, very small of Bantu. But I wish it was more! Maybe after testing my dad I will find out. Bantu cultures are probably the most fascinating and defining in all of Africa. The West focuses too much on Egypt, which to me, becomes VERY boring after so many invasions by Greek then Roman the Arab conquest. Those cultures are watered down, non-mysterious and cold/rigid. The older the Egyptian stuff is more cool than the most recent. Today it's hardly interesting at all.
The life blood and soul of Africa is Bantu. The best music is Bantu. Zimbabwe has the best music. The shona have the best sculptures. The ndebele have the best dolls. Zulus have the best sounding language and beautiful traditional clothing. Kenya has by the far the most lovely cultures and people. Kongo has a rich history and strong people.

this is not to put down others because I uplift mostly West African cultures too. But the least boring are the Bantu groups. I'm "west African biased" haha. But at the end of the day, BANTU RULES FOREVER.
All Africans should unite, mingle, trade amongst each other, and eliminate the need for outside interference. It's very embarrassing to be the neediest continent and diaspora on earth (according to mainstream knowledge, anyway. In my opinion, Indigenous Australia is worse off. So is Oceana in general even India and parts of Asia)

Respect from a Haitian. Proudly African by DNA!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 7:16am On Apr 11, 2015
pkjag:

Yes in south sudan there is the Sudd, i think after the Okavango it's the largest swamp in Africa, but none or few of the nilotes there farm cause they are river lake nilotes who depend on fishing. You mean the Chad was larger than lake Victoria, if so then it might have been where the Nilotes concentrated. Have they found farm tools, or any other trace of settlement in the heart of the Sahara?

Actually, I have seen research works that says Lake Chad was more than 700 times its size (not 25 times) as far back as 7,000 years ago. It was a megalake back then, more like the status of a sea. Some researchers believe that it was connected to Nile River at some period and was among the four largest lakes around the Sahara back then. Like i said, the Sahara was a lush Greenland back then with abundance of wildlife and people. There are several evidences of early African civilisation in the Sahara which have been proven with satellite images. I believe the people who once dwelt in the Sahara were the Proto Nilotes and Proto-Bantu ancestors. The dessication and consequent desertification of the Sahara led to their migration in groups, making use of transport bodies like Lake Chad, River Nile and River Niger. From this knowledge, I could say the Bantu group must have dwelt around the Lake Chad area for a long time before splitting in waves into Congo and then, Cameroun. It must have been a long journey, I must say: such resilience.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 7:18am On Apr 11, 2015
VudulessAyisien:
This is very very very fascinating. I'm of Benin descent and Cameroon. My moms DNA test had a small percentage, very small of Bantu. But I wish it was more! Maybe after testing my dad I will find out. Bantu cultures are probably the most fascinating and defining in all of Africa. The West focuses too much on Egypt, which to me, becomes VERY boring after so many invasions by Greek then Roman the Arab conquest. Those cultures are watered down, non-mysterious and cold/rigid. The older the Egyptian stuff is more cool than the most recent. Today it's hardly interesting at all.
The life blood and soul of Africa is Bantu. The best music is Bantu. Zimbabwe has the best music. The shona have the best sculptures. The ndebele have the best dolls. Zulus have the best sounding language and beautiful traditional clothing. Kenya has by the far the most lovely cultures and people. Kongo has a rich history and strong people.

this is not to put down others because I uplift mostly West African cultures too. But the least boring are the Bantu groups. I'm "west African biased" haha. But at the end of the day, BANTU RULES FOREVER.
All Africans should unite, mingle, trade amongst each other, and eliminate the need for outside interference. It's very embarrassing to be the neediest continent and diaspora on earth (according to mainstream knowledge, anyway. In my opinion, Indigenous Australia is worse off. So is Oceana in general even India and parts of Asia)

I can say you must have strong West African features. Cool to have you here. ..
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 7:25am On Apr 11, 2015
Here is a model of how Lake Chad and Lake Congo must have looked back in those days.

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 11, 2015
TonySpike:
Here is a model of how Lake Chad and Lake Congo must have looked back in those days.
Waaaah, that is huge, definitely larger than my country, i really wonder why it dried up, it would have cleared so much confusion about where we came from, i just don't understand how somewhere so fertile could turn into a desert in a few thousand years sad I never knkew there was a lake Congo, but where were these gigantic lakes getting their water, i understand they must have been depression lakes, but to accumulate that much amount of water
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 11, 2015
VudulessAyisien:
You also think zulu sounds good, i think many people also agree on Swahili, it sounds very good when you hear the natives at the east african coast speak it, it's like the Americans listening to british english, its very elegant and some might say sexy grin.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 10:46am On Apr 11, 2015
pkjag:

Waaaah, that is huge, definitely larger than my country, i really wonder why it dried up, it would have cleared so much confusion about where we came from, i just don't understand how somewhere so fertile could turn into a desert in a few thousand years sad I never knkew there was a lake Congo, but where were these gigantic lakes getting their water, i understand they must have been depression lakes, but to accumulate that much amount of water
I want to believe that they were depression lakes, a natural containment for runoff water, as a result of a long period of deluge. The right question could be, how long did this deluge last for? Certainly, it must have been for years. From my findings, it appears it was a global flood as signs of megalakes have been found elsewhere. When I think about this, I indeed believe that part of Africa was once a paradise with exotic animals everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 11, 2015
TonySpike:

I want to believe that they were depression lakes, a natural containment for runoff water, as a result of a long period of deluge. The right question could be, how long did this deluge last for? Certainly, it must have been for years. From my findings, it appears it was a global flood as signs of megalakes have been found elsewhere. When I think about this, I indeed believe that part of Africa was once a paradise with exotic animals everywhere.
What about the bantus in cameroon and south eastern nigeria if there are any, has there been any study comparing them to the others? Also what happened to the Nok culture in central Nigeria, what have the white men found? I really wish more Africans would be interested in this stuff, we would make more headway if we carried out our own archaeological projects, these white people come and take away our relics then display them in their museums. angry

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by VudulessAyisien(f): 6:13pm On Apr 11, 2015
pkjag:

What about the bantus in cameroon and south eastern nigeria if there are any, has there been any study comparing them to the others? Also what happened to the Nok culture in central Nigeria, what have the white men found? I really wish more Africans would be interested in this stuff, we would make more headway if we carried out our own archaeological projects, these white people come and take away our relics then display them in their museums. angry

this is so true!!! With all the resources in America, afro-Americans should be DYING to study African archeology alongside brothers and sisters on the continent. It would stop foreigners from tying to claim our achievements and hide them from us. Have you heard what silly people are speculating about the Nok? I even heard one claim "but they had admixture". Admixture?? What?.....

the Nok and Igbo-Ukwu are MYSTERIOUS and obviously very African! It's very obvious. The crazy trolls blog I scathingly nickname "Madildo's Anthropology Blog" claims west African phenotype didn't exist beyond 10,000 years. Is this true? And who is to say this is solid fact? We share common origins, this is for sure. And why do the people of Andaman islands and Melanesia resemble us? Dark skin with beautiful kinky hair and strong features must be very ancient indeed.

We have a common origin. All of us. But changed and warped with time and location.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 12, 2015
VudulessAyisien:

this is so true!!! With all the resources in America, afro-Americans should be DYING to study African archeology alongside brothers and sisters on the continent. It would stop foreigners from tying to claim our achievements and hide them from us. Have you heard what silly people are speculating about the Nok? I even heard one claim "but they had admixture". Admixture?? What?.....
the Nok and Igbo-Ukwu are MYSTERIOUS and obviously very African! It's very obvious. The crazy trolls blog I scathingly nickname "Madildo's Anthropology Blog" claims west African phenotype didn't exist beyond 10,000 years. Is this true? And who is to say this is solid fact? We share common origins, this is for sure. And why do the people of Andaman islands and Melanesia resemble us? Dark skin with beautiful kinky hair and strong features must be very ancient indeed.
We have a common origin. All of us. But changed and warped with time and location.
Sadly i don't think many african americans want to be indentified with africa, or are interested in the place, it is ironic that white people are more interested than them, you can also see this in the tourists we receive each year. I mean what's wrong, they'd rather go to paris or rome for holiday because they do not want to be identified with black people, it's really sad sad.

But what i've seen is increasingly many carribean people who do identify with africa, there are more reggae artists that make multiple visits to africa and not just developed parts like in South africa where most hiphop artists frequent but really poor countries, like Konshens has been to Kenya twice in a span of less than 5 years, alaine has been here about thrice in the same amount of time, same with cecille, I can not recall the last time a hiphop artist came to Kenya and probably none has ever visited twice, could you shed some light on this?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2015
TonySpike:

Hey do you know of stories that are published about great african women who are not that famous internationally in the pre-colonial times, in west africa? Can you give me a link as i am doing research on them, all the ones i know are from my country?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by VudulessAyisien(f): 6:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
pkjag:

Sadly i don't think many african americans want to be indentified with africa, or are interested in the place, it is ironic that white people are more interested than them, you can also see this in the tourists we receive each year. I mean what's wrong, they'd rather go to paris or rome for holiday because they do not want to be identified with black people, it's really sad sad.

But what i've seen is increasingly many carribean people who do identify with africa, there are more reggae artists that make multiple visits to africa and not just developed parts like in South africa where most hiphop artists frequent but really poor countries, like Konshens has been to Kenya twice in a span of less than 5 years, alaine has been here about thrice in the same amount of time, same with cecille, I can not recall the last time a hiphop artist came to Kenya and probably none has ever visited twice, could you shed some light on this?

afro-Americans are much less connected to African culture as a whole because America is a racially biased European country. Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad etc are African-based countries. We Caribbeans know who we are, we even speak with African words and know what tribes were from (those of us who actually care unlike the Americanized ones). You'll find more afro-conscious Americans in the south like Louisiana. Or places like Nea York where groups of the diaspora mingle (and where culture revivals have happened like in Harlem and Brooklyn).

in America, Africa is seen as devil-land. Whereas in Jamaica, Africa is seen as home. In Haiti, Africa is Ginen (Guinea) land of the Ancestors. We have love for the motherland. But don't worry, more Aframs are waking up and reconnecting with their culture. They are more diverse than Caribbeans (they mixed with too many diff tribes to name) but I have questions....

In Jamaica we call okra "okra", an Akan word. But the Americans call it Gumbo which I hear is Congo (Bantu). Is this true? Both words are used in Haiti (Haiti has a significant Congo influence besides Fon and Wolof).

Anyone here recognize deity names Simbi, Ganga? The Congo ancestors were included into the Haitian variant of Vodou, alongside the Fon deities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AkanIgbo: 11:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
VudulessAyisien:

afro-Americans are much less connected to African culture as a whole because America is a racially biased European country. Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad etc are African-based countries. We Caribbeans know who we are, we even speak with African words and know what tribes were from (those of us who actually care unlike the Americanized ones). You'll find more afro-conscious Americans in the south like Louisiana. Or places like Nea York where groups of the diaspora mingle (and where culture revivals have happened like in Harlem and Brooklyn).

in America, Africa is seen as devil-land. Whereas in Jamaica, Africa is seen as home. In Haiti, Africa is Ginen (Guinea) land of the Ancestors. We have love for the motherland. But don't worry, more Aframs are waking up and reconnecting with their culture. They are more diverse than Caribbeans (they mixed with too many diff tribes to name) but I have questions....

In Jamaica we call okra "okra", an Akan word. But the Americans call it Gumbo which I hear is Congo (Bantu). Is this true? Both words are used in Haiti (Haiti has a significant Congo influence besides Fon and Wolof).

Anyone here recognize deity names Simbi, Ganga? The Congo ancestors were included into the Haitian variant of Vodou, alongside the Fon deities

What you wrote is completely untrue. African Americans are deeply interested in their culture and they have been amongst the most active group of Africans anywhere in leading Africans everywhere out of this mess that we have found ourselves in. To begin with most African Americans trace their ancestry to Igbo, Akan, Mande and Yoruban people; but particularly to Igbo and Akan.

What a lot of Africans from the Continent don't know and seem happy to not know is that it was against the law for African Americans to speak any of their ethnic languages or to pass down anything about your culture. Against the law as in "being tortured and killed." So most African Americans never knew anything about Africa, because there was never anybody to teach them and the White man convinced African Americans that Africa was a jungle; the people where cannibals and they didn't have any history. Who was there to teach African Americans any different?

The good thing is that a lot of African Americans have roots in the Southern part of the United States and we learned a lot from our old relatives about family, customs and culture. We didn't realize that they were actually passing on African lineage to us. They may not have even been aware of it, but used words, phrases and music clearly connects African Americans back to the continent of Africa. However, we had no way of connecting to any particular group because that was not something within our ancestors knowledge.

Now if you want to discuss how the Cuban-Africans; Bahamian-Africans; Brazilian-Africans; Cuban-Africans; Jamaican-Africans, etc.; knew more about Africa than African-Americans, then here is your answer: those groups were kept on large plantations and they could keep speaking their languages and practicing their African religions like Santeria. The vast majority of African-Americans were not kept on large plantations; they were by and large kept on small farms and they lost all contact with their heritage. The few groups of African-Americans that were kept on large plantations in States like Virginia, South Carolina, Louisiana and Georgia ended up keeping a lot of their African customs and culture and you will see many Igbo, Yoruba and Gullah settlement in all of those places. But by and large African Americans were kept on smaller farms and it was common to have their mothers, fathers, grandparents and siblings sold off to other farms in other States. So how was a little baby supposed to know anything about Africa or Africans if the people to teach them were gone?

As for your initial post, it is fully of conjecture that you know is not true if you know the history of African Americans. One most watched programs in US History was "Roots." Which was a program about a Mandika taken from Gambia to Virginia. The show follows his descendants as they take their American journey from Virginia to North Carolina and eventually into Tennessee. That is show is what typically happened to Africans taken in the slave trade. How was Kunta Kinte's relatives supposed to keep up with African culture once Kunta Kinte died? As it was they kept up with words and phrases, but as the television show showed; without other African people there how were the descendants of Kunta Kinte supposed to know much about Africa when all that that they had around them were Europeans?

Here is the thing; African Americans set up their own universities even when they were not allowed to attend White universities. Scholars like WEB DuBuois, Malcolm X and numerous other Americans knew the history of Africa and African Americans; so in later times we became knowledgeable about Egypt, Ghana, Mali, Songhan, Oyo, Nri and Akan people . So African Americans have always studied African history, but without anyway to connect it to your experiences then it is hard to understand the people and languages. And it didn't and still doesn't help when Africans come to school in America and act all arrogant as Hell and act as if African Americans are beneath them because we don't understand the history, language and people of Africa. Here is a newsflash; African Americans don't understand the history of Africa, because the ancestors of the Africans that come to America for school sold the ancestors of African Americans into slavery. So if someone is going to look down on something or someone; then African students should be looking down on their own ancestors because they were the heartless ones that caused all of us to be lost and the ancestors actions eventually allowed the Europeans to colonize Africa, because the Ancestors virtually depopulated Africa by selling slaves. That is the reason that all Africans are in the position that they are in right now. And it wasn't just the people of Dahomey or the Bini people; it was the also the Aro-Confederacy, an Igbo people that sold out of Calabar and the Bights of Benin and Biafra.

That is a long rambling answer, but African Americans are taking DNA test at all time, to locate where their ancestors are from. African Americans also visit Africa a lot, especially Ghana, because the Ghanain government has apologized for there role in the slave trade and Ghana's first president and all the rest of the that Country's President has come to America and made appeal after appeal to African Americans to come as tourist to visit the slave forts and castles and to invest in the Country. Is there any mystery as to why so many African Americans know so much about Ghana and why people from Ghana know so much about African Americans or why Ghana is doing so well economically? There are African Americans that live in and retire to Ghana and now they are looking to do the same thing in the Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Cameroon is another place that African Americans are visiting more. Look for more investments to go there.

The question I have is why hasn't Nigeria made a plea to African Americans to come as tourists? Why hasn't Nigerian cultural officials come to American Historically Black Universities, grammar and high schools to talk to kids about the slave trade and explain how most African Americans ancestors originated in Igboland, Yorubaland or in what is now Cameroon. Why aren't the slave ports in Calabar, Biafra become a tourist attraction; because African Americans want to know? What haven't Nigeria's government over the years made it a point not to align with African Americans the way the Ghana has? Long rambling answer but there is a lot of crap floating around about African Americans that is not true and a country like Nigeria is not doing all it can to repair relations with African Americans. Fwiw, my DNA test results are 48% Igbo and 36% Akan.

6 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:21am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:
And it wasn't just the people of Dahomey or the Bini people; it was the also the Aro-Confederacy, an Igbo people that sold out of Calabar and the Bights of Benin and Biafra.

Your post was interesting and you made some good points, but just one correction: the Bini were not huge players in the transatlantic slave trade and the transatlantic slave trade was of limited importance to the precolonial economy of the Bini. In fact in precolonial times, the Bini were not even engaged in the transatlantic slave trade for most of their history. I have seen people just assume that the Bini had some sort of major slave trading state without checking if this is true or not on multiple occasions, and unfortunately, the reason for the assumption (without doing research) pretty much every time is because of preexisting stereotypes about precolonial African history.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AkanIgbo: 3:53am On Apr 29, 2015
PhysicsQED:

Your post was interesting and you made some good points, but just one correction: the Bini were not huge players in the transatlantic slave trade and the transatlantic slave trade was of limited importance to the precolonial economy of the Bini. In fact in precolonial times, the Bini were not even engaged in the transatlantic slave trade for most of their history. I have seen people just assume that the Bini had some sort of major slave trading state without checking if this is true or not on multiple occasions, and unfortunately, the reason for the assumption (without doing research) pretty much every time is because of preexisting stereotypes about precolonial African history.

If they played a role at all then they played a big role in the destruction of the motherland. There is no minimizing of roles. There were real lives that all of the slave traders ruined, no matter how big or small that role may have been. The impact has been horrible and the horror just keep getting worse 200 years after the trade ended. Look at all of us sons and daughters of Africa. We are hated and despised all over the World, because of the actions of those ancestors that did those abominable acts.

Now the White man is walking around telling everybody everywhere how horrible black people everywhere are. They tell the Nigerians that African Americans are terrible people with no class. They tell African Americans that Nigerians are terrible crooked people with no class. The truth be told it is White people that terrible and crooked and have no class. But instead of African Americans and Nigerians getting together and seeing the real problem; we are only interested in showing compliance to the White man. We all are one big lost tribe and our women and men are despised and they hate themselves for being what God made them, which is brown and black; and for that we have the ancestors to thank.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:16am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:

If they played a role at all then they played a big role in the destruction of the motherland. There is no minimizing of roles.

There is no "minimizing" of roles intended here. The only thing intended is to have at least some historical accuracy and to apportion the appropriate roles to the appropriate states. You grouped the Bini with Dahomey and the Aro Confederacy with regard to the slave trade, which is ridiculous (and I mean no disrespect to the Fon or the Aro by that statement, but the reality is that the slave trade was never as big a factor in Benin's economy as it was in those states). What's ironic is that many of the slaves the Benin kingdom traded during the brief periods it traded slaves wound up in southern Ghana and Sao Tome rather than outside of Africa (though the Bini did not know where the traded slaves would ultimately end up, of course). I agree with you that the transatlantic slave trade had a hugely negative effect on Africa's development and on the lives of black people worldwide, but what I don't get or agree with is why you think Benin played some "big role" in the destruction of Africa. I think this issue is an instance where the details actually matter.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by bigfrancis21: 4:40am On Apr 29, 2015
VudulessAyisien:

'Okra' is actually from Igbo language, in full 'okwuru'.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AAinEqGuinea: 4:43am On Apr 29, 2015
I thank God for slavery because Africa has only expanded, with Bantu descendants influencing every continent. It seem to always go back to black.

Unlike many, I don't see Africa as a continental vacuum, the people have only expanded and contributed to thriving societies but slavery pales in comparison to the mental slavery blacks are under right now. I'd rather know that my ancestors were kidnapped and forced to leave Africa taken to new lands but later the evil of mental slavery.... Thats all another talk for another time..

Speaking of "ancestors", I too took a DNA test comparing my DNA to modern populations, not an ancestral test. Africans dont owe me an apology for slavery...lol... But any help on interpreting my DNA test would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by bigfrancis21: 4:52am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:

What you wrote is completely untrue. African Americans are deeply interested in their culture and they have been amongst the most active group of Africans anywhere in leading Africans everywhere out of this mess that we have found ourselves in. To begin with most African Americans trace their ancestry to Igbo, Akan, Mande and Yoruban people; but particularly to Igbo and Akan.

What a lot of Africans from the Continent don't know and seem happy to not know is that it was against the law for African Americans to speak any of their ethnic languages or to pass down anything about your culture. Against the law as in "being tortured and killed." So most African Americans never knew anything about Africa, because there was never anybody to teach them and the White man convinced African Americans that Africa was a jungle; the people where cannibals and they didn't have any history. Who was there to teach African Americans any different?

The good thing is that a lot of African Americans have roots in the Southern part of the United States and we learned a lot from our old relatives about family, customs and culture. We didn't realize that they were actually passing on African lineage to us. They may not have even been aware of it, but used words, phrases and music clearly connects African Americans back to the continent of Africa. However, we had no way of connecting to any particular group because that was not something within our ancestors knowledge.

Now if you want to discuss how the Cuban-Africans; Bahamian-Africans; Brazilian-Africans; Cuban-Africans; Jamaican-Africans, etc.; knew more about Africa than African-Americans, then here is your answer: those groups were kept on large plantations and they could keep speaking their languages and practicing their African religions like Santeria. The vast majority of African-Americans were not kept on large plantations; they were by and large kept on small farms and they lost all contact with their heritage. The few groups of African-Americans that were kept on large plantations in States like Virginia, South Carolina, Louisiana and Georgia ended up keeping a lot of their African customs and culture and you will see many Igbo, Yoruba and Gullah settlement in all of those places. But by and large African Americans were kept on smaller farms and it was common to have their mothers, fathers, grandparents and siblings sold off to other farms in other States. So how was a little baby supposed to know anything about Africa or Africans if the people to teach them were gone?

As for your initial post, it is fully of conjecture that you know is not true if you know the history of African Americans. One most watched programs in US History was "Roots." Which was a program about a Mandika taken from Gambia to Virginia. The show follows his descendants as they take their American journey from Virginia to North Carolina and eventually into Tennessee. That is show is what typically happened to Africans taken in the slave trade. How was Kunta Kinte's relatives supposed to keep up with African culture once Kunta Kinte died? As it was they kept up with words and phrases, but as the television show showed; without other African people there how were the descendants of Kunta Kinte supposed to know much about Africa when all that that they had around them were Europeans?

Here is the thing; African Americans set up their own universities even when they were not allowed to attend White universities. Scholars like WEB DuBuois, Malcolm X and numerous other Americans knew the history of Africa and African Americans; so in later times we became knowledgeable about Egypt, Ghana, Mali, Songhan, Oyo, Nri and Akan people . So African Americans have always studied African history, but without anyway to connect it to your experiences then it is hard to understand the people and languages. And it didn't and still doesn't help when Africans come to school in America and act all arrogant as Hell and act as if African Americans are beneath them because we don't understand the history, language and people of Africa. Here is a newsflash; African Americans don't understand the history of Africa, because the ancestors of the Africans that come to America for school sold the ancestors of African Americans into slavery. So if someone is going to look down on something or someone; then African students should be looking down on their own ancestors because they were the heartless ones that caused all of us to be lost and the ancestors actions eventually allowed the Europeans to colonize Africa, because the Ancestors virtually depopulated Africa by selling slaves. That is the reason that all Africans are in the position that they are in right now. And it wasn't just the people of Dahomey or the Bini people; it was the also the Aro-Confederacy, an Igbo people that sold out of Calabar and the Bights of Benin and Biafra.

That is a long rambling answer, but African Americans are taking DNA test at all time, to locate where their ancestors are from. African Americans also visit Africa a lot, especially Ghana, because the Ghanain government has apologized for there role in the slave trade and Ghana's first president and all the rest of the that Country's President has come to America and made appeal after appeal to African Americans to come as tourist to visit the slave forts and castles and to invest in the Country. Is there any mystery as to why so many African Americans know so much about Ghana and why people from Ghana know so much about African Americans or why Ghana is doing so well economically? There are African Americans that live in and retire to Ghana and now they are looking to do the same thing in the Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Cameroon is another place that African Americans are visiting more. Look for more investments to go there.

The question I have is why hasn't Nigeria made a plea to African Americans to come as tourists? Why hasn't Nigerian cultural officials come to American Historically Black Universities, grammar and high schools to talk to kids about the slave trade and explain how most African Americans ancestors originated in Igboland, Yorubaland or in what is now Cameroon. Why aren't the slave ports in Calabar, Biafra become a tourist attraction; because African Americans want to know? What haven't Nigeria's government over the years made it a point not to align with African Americans the way the Ghana has? Long rambling answer but there is a lot of crap floating around about African Americans that is not true and a country like Nigeria is not doing all it can to repair relations with African Americans. Fwiw, my DNA test results are 48% Igbo and 36% Akan.

Welcome home, my brother. smiley From your DNA result, you are 84% black. How about the remaining 16%?

An african american, Polite, confirming his Igbo origins (75%):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j09jj9mX54

And he looks very much Igbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfTnZ7v_oo

As for establishing of return programs, Nigeria has so many issues it is dealing with right now that it isn't focusing on establishing connections with diasporan communities at the moment. However, individuals are growing who feel the same way as you do, me too. I do believe that the people most likely to reach out to diasporan communities would be concerned Igbo citizens in Igbo land who feel for the diasporan cause.

Right now, the lower niger of Nigeria (Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw) is agitating for self-independence from Nigeria due to mismanagement of natural resources coming from this region which accounts for over 70% of Nigeria's economy. We enjoin diasporan Igbo and Ibibion citizens to join in the cause with lower niger citizens to create an independent country of ours. That is the right step in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AkanIgbo: 5:00am On Apr 29, 2015
PhysicsQED:

There is no "minimizing" of roles intended here. The only thing intended is to have at least some historical accuracy and to apportion the appropriate roles to the appropriate states. You grouped the Bini with Dahomey and the Aro Confederacy with regard to the slave trade, which is ridiculous (and I mean no disrespect to the Fon or the Aro by that statement, but the reality is that the slave trade was never as big a factor in Benin's economy as it was in those states). What's ironic is that many of the slaves the Benin kingdom traded during the brief periods it traded slaves wound up in southern Ghana and Sao Tome rather than outside of Africa (though the Bini did not know where the traded slaves would ultimately end up, of course). I agree with you that the transatlantic slave trade had a hugely negative effect on Africa's development and on the lives of black people worldwide, but what I don't get or agree with is why you think Benin played some "big role" in the destruction of Africa. I think this issue is an instance where the details actually matter.

The slave trade wasn't a significant portion of the Akan people kingdoms either, but they were involved in it. The Akan people made their money from the gold trade and they (particularly the Ashanti) typically only captured slaves as a result of war to expand their kingdom. They weren't particularly interested in slaving, but they sold the slaves that they took in warfare to the Europeans. However minimal the Akan people role was; the impact was huge and their actions did the Continent no favors.

Btw, I am not even criticizing the Bini people, but the fact of the business is that they were involved in the trade as well as numerous other people including Igbos, Kru people, Akans, etc. It is what it is. There were no winners except White people. The African people that weren't taken in the slave trade probably thought that they were the winners, but come to find out the White man just turned around and colonized them and made them slaves in their own homeland.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by PhysicsQED(m): 5:31am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:

The slave trade wasn't a significant portion of the Akan people kingdoms either, but they were involved in it. The Akan people made their money from the gold trade and they (particularly the Ashanti) typically only captured slaves as a result of war to expand their kingdom. They weren't particularly interested in slaving, but they sold the slaves that they took in warfare to the Europeans. However minimal the Akan people role was; the impact was huge and their actions did the Continent no favors.

I think the difference between the involvement of some of the Akan groups in the transatlantic slave trade and Bini involvement in the transatlantic slave trade was actually significant, though I am aware that the Akan groups had thriving economies outside of the slave trade and that they were not really dependent on it or anything. But I did not comment on the role of the Akan in the slave trade (or most of the other groups you mentioned in your first post in this thread) because my point was about the reality of Benin not playing some big role in the slave trade and the depopulation of Africa that people sometimes wrongly assume it did. I don't see what "big role" in the ruin of Africa Benin played. Every group/society/culture made some mistakes in history but I don't see this issue (the slave trade) as some area where Benin had some huge failure. I am not saying not to criticize or find fault with that kingdom - I have no objection to scrutinizing the history of African states and pointing out their flaws and mistakes - but I do think that accuracy is important when criticizing, especially to avoid perpetuating negative stereotypes and myths. If you like, say the kingdom played a "minor role" historically in contributing to Africa's/black people's problems today and that would at least be accurate and we would have no disagreement, but I just don't see the point of exaggerating Benin's role in contributing to these problems.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AAinEqGuinea: 5:32am On Apr 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Welcome home, my brother. smiley From your DNA result, you are 84% black. How about the remaining 16%?

As for establishing of return programs, Nigeria has so many issues it is dealing with right now that it isn't focusing on establishing connections with diasporan communities at the moment. However, individuals are growing who feel the same way as you do, me too. I do believe that the people most likely to reach out to diasporan communities would be concerned Igbo citizens in Igbo land who feel for the diasporan cause.

Right now, the lower niger of Nigeria (Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw) is agitating for self-independence from Nigeria due to mismanagement of natural resources coming from this region which accounts for over 70% of Nigeria's economy. We enjoin diasporan Igbo and Ibibion citizens to join in the cause with lower niger citizens to create an independent country of ours. That is the right step in the right direction.

Polight is ok, he has his immature moments in my opinion in how he handles his disagreements, although I ultimately respect him.

Two thing factors to point out my Africaness; firstly I'm kinda frugal and so was my DNA test, it was only $30 via groupon but I needed to buy server hardware instead to call myself buying a $300 ancestry test... Secondly, with the little info I got I'm trying to fill in the gaps with as much African specificity.

This test is more like a DNA comparison of modern populations outside the U.S, than a ancestry one.

My results:

Strongest match: Africa
closest countries

Eq Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Namibia
Mozambique
South Africa
Tanzania
Sudan
Somalia
Uganda
Gabon
Kenya
Angola
Ethiopia
Rwanda
Nigeria cry

2nd closest match: South and Central America (my mom was part Native American)
Bahamas (slave route?)
Peru
Guyana
Nicaragua
Brazil
Mexico
Chile
Guatemala
Venezuela
Honduras
Argentina
Colombia
Costa Rica
Puerto Rico
El Salvador
Ecuador

Asia:

Indonesia
New Zealand
Malaysia
Bangladesh
Thailand
Pakistan
China
Taiwan
India
Japan
Vietnam
Australia
Bhutan
Nepal
Mongolia
South Korea
Singapore
East Timor
Philippines

Last were, Middle East and European respectively (so sorry, no whitey in me cool despite slavery)

There are too many gaps in their African comparison, but I'm guessing my roots likely connect to the Bantu region.... but I could live with being wrong about my extrapolation from this $30 test cool but I've tried.

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AkanIgbo: 5:33am On Apr 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Actually I am probably 86% to 90% African, because I have Senegal, Mali and North African DNA too. This stuff is incredibly interesting and important to African Americans, because the White people continual lies about Black people is enough to make you not even want to deal with those folks anymore. We are not even human to those folks. No black person anywhere is seen as human to them.

I read up on the Biafran War and the way that things went. That was really sad. I hope that bloodshed can be averted this time around, but if there is any chance that the White man will lose any of the money that he is stealing from Black people; then he is going to put his black lackey leaders up to war against any black people seeking freedom.

On a side note, I truly don't understand why Igbo leaders don't reach out to African Americans; because it is common knowledge that 60% or more of African Americans are part Igbo. Think about that. There are about 45 millions African Americans in the US, so that means that the Igbo are kin to about 25 million African Americans that are descended directly from slaves. The Igbo people in Nigeria are not reaching out and connecting with their kinsman across the ocean, so they feel like they are fighting alone. That is the fault of Igbo people everywhere. We never stick together. We always fight alone. When the White man in England fights anybody anywhere; the White man in the USA joins him. When an Igbo in Nigeria fights, he fights alone and his kinsman across the ocean never even knew that he had kin fighting or what they were fighting for. That is Igbo leaders Nigeria's fault. They need to start blitzing African Americans and reconnecting just like Ghanians did. I will now get down off my soap box.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by bigfrancis21: 10:41am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Btw, I am not even criticizing the Bini people, but the fact of the business is that they were involved in the trade as well as numerous other people including Igbos, Kru people, Akans, etc. It is what it is. There were no winners except White people. The African people that weren't taken in the slave trade probably thought that they were the winners, but come to find out the White man just turned around and colonized them and made them slaves in their own homeland.

Acutally, the binis hardly sold themselves into slavery. DNA testing today can attest to this fact. So far, I am yet to see someone take his DNA test with origins pointed to bini ancestry. At the time of slavery, the bini empire was in full force with territory expanding over a large span of areas, and they sold mostly urhobo (sobo), isoko and Igbo slaves. This is because they considered their men and women too royal to be sold into slavery and thus hardly participated directly in the slave trade.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 11:21am On Apr 29, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Sadly Nigeria has yet to address even more recent atrocities like the pogrom against Igbos and other southern eastern groups. Appears we believe that by sweeping things under the carpet, they'd somehow die away or sort themselves out.
My point is, don't expect an apology or appeal on a national scale or from the government just yet. I hope individual gestures would encourage you to reconnect without your home, should you desire to.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 29, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

Polight is ok, he has his immature moments in my opinion in how he handles his disagreements, although I ultimately respect him.

Two thing factors to point out my Africaness; firstly I'm kinda frugal and so was my DNA test, it was only $30 via groupon but I needed to buy server hardware instead to call myself buying a $300 ancestry test... Secondly, with the little info I got I'm trying to fill in the gaps with as much African specificity.

This test is more like a DNA comparison of modern populations outside the U.S, than a ancestry one.

My results:

Strongest match: Africa
closest countries

Eq Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Namibia
Mozambique
South Africa
Tanzania
Sudan
Somalia
Uganda
Gabon
Kenya
Angola
Ethiopia
Rwanda
Nigeria cry

2nd closest match: South and Central America (my mom was part Native American)
Bahamas (slave route?)
Peru
Guyana
Nicaragua
Brazil
Mexico
Chile
Guatemala
Venezuela
Honduras
Argentina
Colombia
Costa Rica
Puerto Rico
El Salvador
Ecuador

Asia:

Indonesia
New Zealand
Malaysia
Bangladesh
Thailand
Pakistan
China
Taiwan
India
Japan
Vietnam
Australia
Bhutan
Nepal
Mongolia
South Korea
Singapore
East Timor
Philippines

Last were, Middle East and European respectively (so sorry, no whitey in me cool despite slavery)

There are too many gaps in their African comparison, but I'm guessing my roots likely connect to the Bantu region.... but I could live with being wrong about my extrapolation from this $30 test cool but I've tried.

We're you given any specific haplogroups or mtdna?

The Brown area is mostly Bantu and the left out areas especially in the Bantu ateas are more about those tribes in the areas being untested. Mixing while already in the diaspora would explain the connection to purely nilotic areas like the Sudan who have related groups in West Africa.

Studies have shown presence of ancient Eurasian DNA in Bantu as far South as South Africa so that would explain the yellow. The red reflects the point of contact between your early American Ancestors with the natives. It's interesting because that red area was serviced by Portugal in terms of slave trade. The Portuguese sourced their slaves from East and Central Africa, mostly through Arabic traders along the East Coast. I would think that would be the most probable area.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by AAinEqGuinea: 12:35pm On Apr 29, 2015
muafrika:
We're you given any specific haplogroups or mtdna?

The Brown area is mostly Bantu and the left out areas especially in the Bantu ateas are more about those tribes in the areas being untested. Mixing while already in the diaspora would explain the connection to purely nilotic areas like the Sudan who have related groups in West Africa.

Studies have shown presence of ancient Eurasian DNA in Bantu as far South as South Africa so that would explain the yellow. The red reflects the point of contact between your early American Ancestors with the natives. It's interesting because that red area was serviced by Portugal in terms of slave trade. The Portuguese sourced their slaves from East and Central Africa, mostly through Arabic traders along the East Coast. I would think that would be the most probable area.

Thanks. I'm going to start a thread posting all the information this company supplied soon. Their methodology uses ones entire DNA sequence and doesn't distinguish Y or mtdna for unique results although they give you a "gene" ring with DNA markers. I figured the test wouldn't include much insight, but the test was fun and worth the investment for my NL screen name at least

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 4:03am On Apr 30, 2015
AkanIgbo:

If they played a role at all then they played a big role in the destruction of the motherland. There is no minimizing of roles. There were real lives that all of the slave traders ruined, no matter how big or small that role may have been. The impact has been horrible and the horror just keep getting worse 200 years after the trade ended. Look at all of us sons and daughters of Africa. We are hated and despised all over the World, because of the actions of those ancestors that did those abominable acts.

Now the White man is walking around telling everybody everywhere how horrible black people everywhere are. They tell the Nigerians that African Americans are terrible people with no class. They tell African Americans that Nigerians are terrible crooked people with no class. The truth be told it is White people that terrible and crooked and have no class. But instead of African Americans and Nigerians getting together and seeing the real problem; we are only interested in showing compliance to the White man. We all are one big lost tribe and our women and men are despised and they hate themselves for being what God made them, which is brown and black; and for that we have the ancestors to thank.
This is sadly, true. And this continues to happen even now on the continent.

I love President Museveni of Uganda who once said of the selfish nature of Africans, refering to South Africans who were colonised by the Portuguese as early as the 1400s. He said, (these people could not even come to warn us about them.)

This was true all over. In fact, some tribal leaders took advantage of the white man to oppress and destroy rival African tribes.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by kingston277(m): 10:59pm On May 15, 2015
PhysicsQED:

A good question would be why the Bini had little need for participation in the slave trade. And why other states didn't follow suit.
I've heard that agriculture in peppers/spices is what turned them away from the slave trade but I can't verify if that is the definitive reason.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:50pm On May 21, 2015
kingston277:

A good question would be why the Bini had little need for participation in the slave trade. And why other states didn't follow suit.
I've heard that agriculture in peppers/spices is what turned them away from the slave trade but I can't verify if that is the definitive reason.

This is a good question and I will give my view on things based on what I have read.

In addition to the myth/stereotype I alluded to earlier about precolonial west African states needing the slave trade to prosper economically (even some of those that derived some very significant temporary wealth from it didn't necessarily need it), and the myth that every important/major polity in that area (west Africa) was heavily involved in it, there is another myth that hangs over the historical understanding of some African states which is also due to exaggeration or misunderstanding of the evidence.

This second myth is about trade (in general) with Europeans being so lucrative or economically significant for all west African states that traded with Europeans that it was of great importance to all of them at all times. This second myth applies to Benin as well and in the case of Benin, while some aspects of trade with Europeans were indeed important early on (especially political aspects, such as the possibility in the 16th century of forging closer ties with states like Portugal that had access to guns that Benin could have obtained in significant quantities if the Benin kingdom had converted to Christianity), the actual economic significance was much less important and did not become of any great importance until the 18th and 19th centuries (after the kingdom's stability and power had declined significantly due to its civil wars), yet the economic importance of the trade with Europeans has sometimes been exaggerated. The trade was important, but initially this was not even for truly economic/monetary reasons.

The initial (i.e. before the 18th and 19th centuries) limited economic significance of the trade with Europeans in general for the kingdom of Benin was most likely due to the fact that it was not really that lucrative compared with their other trade (within that region of west Africa) at that time. This notion comes through clearly when one reads the historian Alan Ryder's 1969 book on Benin's interaction and trade with Europeans, but that book is kind of obscure, especially now, so it is not uncommon to see the wealth derived by Benin from trade with Europeans wildly overstated, and even implied to be lucrative at all times (even though Benin restricted trade with Europeans at times - decisions that would not have been taken if the trade were so important to Benin's economy). In lieu of going quote mining through Ryder's book for passages that get across what is meant, I found an excerpt from a 1971 review of Ryder's book that gets across the basic idea in a few sentences, which I will quote instead:

"The primary reason for the European presence in West Africa was trade, from the time of the Portuguese arrival in the late fifteenth century until the end of the nineteenth century. Consequently, trade provides the context for the general narrative of the book. Ryder emphasizes the apparent lack of importance of the European trade to Benin, however, and the lack of Edo dependence on this trade for maintaining the Benin state. He stresses that the Oba and his principal chiefs were in full control of the trading system, with the ability to regulate the market at will and the power to force the Europeans to meet Benin conditions in order to trade. Europeans had to accommodate to local conditions. Special European circumstances, such as a reduced demand in Europe for a Benin product, were very largely ignored by the Benin leadership." - H.M. Feinberg, "Benin and the Europeans 1485-1897 by A.F.C. Ryder," African Historical Studies, Vol. 4, No. 2 (1971), p. 405

Now later on in this article reviewing Ryder's book, this author suggests that trade with Europeans may have been more important for Benin in later centuries (18th and 19th), which is a reasonable suggestion, but it is important to note that Benin had declined significantly by that time due to internal conflicts (although there was some significant recovery of power and stability during the mid to late 18th century and the early 19th century, Benin still was never in possession of the kind of power and prosperity it had seen in former days). When the state was strong and prosperous, trade with Europeans (in general, whether involving slaves or anything else) was of no great importance in terms of economic significance. When the state was less powerful and less prosperous, trade with Europeans became more important than it had been previously.

With regard to the items that were of importance to Benin's economy, we have some examples from firsthand accounts that showed that Benin (like some other important African states) had many things to trade in that had nothing to do with the slave trade. For example the Irishman James Stanfield, who visited Ughoton (which he called 'Gatoe'), an important port town of Benin, in the 1780s, made these observations:

"At Gatoe the markets were regular and well stocked: they teemed with luxuries unknown to Europeans. Their fishermen, hunters, and husbandmen, brought in their stores and delicacies: their smiths, carpenters, and weavers, and believe me, there are such among them, displayed their curious manufactures. Fowls, fish, fresh and dried provisions, fruits of the most delicious kind, various sorts of pepper and spices, potatoes, yams, plantains, calavances, cocoa nuts, sugar-cane, purslane, calliloo, ocra, palm-wine and palm oil, were in plenty there. These added to native coral, mats of a most curious texture, Benin and Jaboe cloths of beautiful colours, ivory, gold-dust, gums, woods, wax, cotton and other commodities, proved a demonstration the inexhaustible store of valuable articles, which they could substitute for the unnatural traffic in human flesh. . ." - James Field Stanfield, Observations on a Voyage to the Coast of Africa, 1788

These are just some of the items Benin traded, and the 1780s and the late 18th century in general were not even the most prosperous period of the kingdom's history.

Unfortunately, because of the stereotyping of precolonial African polities that I mentioned earlier, the assumption is sometimes made that important African kingdoms (such as Benin) that traded with Europeans were all somehow in a state of dependence on trade with Europeans for prosperity or that trade with Europeans was automatically very lucrative or of great economic significance to their states. Even on the wikipedia article for the Atlantic Slave trade for example, some wikipedist has claimed (without citing any credible source, of course) that Benin "grew increasingly rich during the 16th and 17th centuries on the slave trade with Europe". Trade with Europeans by Benin, although initially significant in other ways, was not economically significant enough in and of itself to claim that Benin could "grow increasingly rich" just off of that, and in any case, Benin was, as mentioned earlier, not a major player in the slave trade. However the two major myths/stereotypes about precolonial African states that I mentioned earlier are so strongly embedded in the minds and popular imagination of many people, whether black or non-black, African or non-African, that even in the case of a kingdom like Benin where the evidence is so clearly contrary to these myths, some people will still just substitute popular myths and misconceptions for research.

However, for an example of a pattern of African-European interaction which ran contrary to that of Benin, we can consider the case of the kingdom of Kongo. They were eager to trade other items besides slaves but their sometime allies (and sometime foes) the Portuguese were mostly interested in slaves and little else. In fact, in 1526, not too long after their leaders had become Christian, and their kingdom had become infatuated with Portuguese ways in general, the Christian king of Kongo, Nzinga Mbemba (Afonso I), wrote a letter to his ally the king of Portugal, in which he made some complaints about the direction the trade with Portugal had taken:

"Each day the traders are kidnapping our people—children of this country, sons of our nobles and vassals, even people of our own family. This corruption and depravity are so widespread that our land is entirely depopulated. We need in this kingdom only priests and schoolteachers, and no merchandise, unless it is wine and flour for Mass. It is our wish that this Kingdom not be a place for the trade or transport of slaves."

"Many of our subjects eagerly lust after Portuguese merchandise that your subjects have brought into our domains. To satisfy this inordinate appetite, they seize many of our black free subjects....They sell them. After having taken these prisoners [to the coast] secretly or at night.... As soon as the captives are in the hands of white men they are branded with a red-hot iron."

The king of Portugal, João III, replied that he simply did not believe this, as he had heard differently:

"You. . .tell me that you want no slave-trading in your domains, because this trade is depopulating your country. . . .The Portuguese there, on the contrary, tell me how vast the Congo is, and how it is so thickly populated that it seems as if no slave has ever left."

You can find some discussion of the significance of this exchange and these quotes in the book King Leopold's Ghost (1999) and several other publications.

Perhaps if the Kongolese had decided to limit or minimize their interaction with Europeans, in trade and in religion, things would not have taken the awful turn that they did. The reason why Kongo participation in the slave trade swelled to huge numbers and was not limited like that of Benin could probably be ascribed to Kongo allowing Europeans (and their trade goods) to have excessive importance in their society beyond what could be easily regulated.

In the case of other major slave trading polities, there were other motivations (such as acquiring guns) that differed from what took place in the Kongo, but I think that a commonality among many of them was that trade with Europeans in general (whether in slaves or other items) had taken on too important/prominent a share of the economic activity of the nation (as was the case at Bonny, for example). The issue of Dahomey's role in the slave trade is a bit complex so I won't discuss it at any length but there is a very informative article on that subject you can read that analyzes (much better than I could) the various theories about why the slave trade was so significant for Dahomey:

"Dahomey and the Slave Trade: Reflections on the Historiography of the Rise of Dahomey" (1986) by Robin Law

(You can find and read that article through JSTOR.)

And as for the most prominent Akan state, a king of the Asante in the early 1800s, Osei Bonsu, gave a specific excuse when interviewed by the British consul Joseph Dupuis, claiming that he had to sell the captured soldiers and civilians of rival states to avoid eventually being overpowered by them:

"I cannot make war to catch slaves in the bush, like a thief. My ancestors never did so. But if I fight a king, and kill him when he is insolent, then certainly I must have his gold, and his slaves, and the people are mine too. Do not the white kings act like this? Because I hear the old men say, that before I conquered Fante1. . .white men came in great ships, and fought and killed many people; and then they took the gold and slaves to the white country: and sometimes they fought together. That is all the same as these black countries. . . .When I fought Gyaman,2 I did not make war for slaves, but because Dinkera [the king] sent me an arrogant message and killed my people, and refused to pay me gold as his father did. Then. . .like my ancestors, I killed Dinkera, and took his gold, and brought more than 20,000 slaves to Kumasi. Some of these people being bad men, I washed my stool3 in their blood. . . .But then some were good people, and these I sold or gave to my captains: many, moreover, died, because this country does not grow too much corn. . .and what can I do? Unless I kill or sell them, they will grow strong and kill my people." - quoted in The Human Record: Sources of Global History, Volume II: Since 1500, p. 188. The original source is Journal of a Residence in Ashantee (1824) by Joseph Dupuis.

[Notes:

1. The Fante arrived on the Guinea Coast sometime after 1600 and established a number of small states before being conquered by Asante in the 1760s.
2. A rival state to the northwest of Asante.
3. A reference to the "Golden Stool," a symbol of Asante royal power.]

But putting aside this obvious rationalization/excuse given by that Asante king, the truth is more likely that he and his ministers were unable to think of a way (or lacked the military power) to maintain effective control over conquered areas without depopulating them and they therefore just saw slave selling as a profitable option that also allowed them to weaken the threat of neighboring kingdoms. If they had had the political or military ability to maintain effective control over the kingdoms they came into conflict with and conquered without depopulating them, they could only have had a stronger and more productive empire and potentially would have been more powerful (barring any great civil wars or other internal conflicts) when the inevitable confrontation with European imperialists/invaders occurred. Unfortunately like many African leaders, they lacked the foresight to see the bigger threat.

Traditional chiefs and government officials from the Republic of Benin (where the kingdom of Dahomey was centered) and Ghana (where the kingdom of Asante was centered) have apologized for the role of their ancestors in the slave trade, and perhaps one day Nigeria will follow suit when Nigerians are more enlightened or aren't so busy squabbling among themselves. I think it's clear that the problems and suffering caused by the slave trade could have been avoided if wiser choices were made by past African leaders and if trade with Europeans in general had been kept relegated to a position of minimal importance in the societies of the peoples that traded with them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.