Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,787 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? (32030 Views)

Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / I was Locked In a Room For 7 Months and forced to marry Him: Wife tells judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 2:21am On Aug 12, 2012
debosky: grin grin grin

A man (platonic friend oh) must pay for your hair (even if you earn more than him) to prove he will be the type of husband to 'provide' for his wife. cheesy

Even the educated, 'very comfortable financially' ones are thinking this way - can you imagine how the gold diggers are thinking? undecided

I pity single Nigerian men these days.

Pity single Nigerian men ? Aren't the men also helping fuel the problem by making these kids think they need to be "pampered" in such a way. Where are there fathers to teach the girls that they are not to reduce themselves to mere commodities/slaves to men by such actions? Abeg, no even let me start.

I am almost certain that this particular woman did not start thinking this way in recent years. She was probably allowed to believe or trained in such a way as to believe that this her idea of "traditional men" is what she ought to be consider. How else can you explain how an EDUCATED being could say such things.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 2:23am On Aug 12, 2012
ileobatojo:

Of course you are; while she is cooking 3 square meals for the entire family and doing everyone's dishes and getting the kids ready, putting them to bed etc everyday, you are replacing her flat tyre that flattens everyday and mowing your garden grass that surely overgrows daily too! Good job!

Abeg stop!! She can easily ask that her husband share in the burden . . like any human with intelligence should. I know a man who takes care of his kids -- baths them, makes them breakfast, and drops them off at school etc. His wife goes to work earlier than he does, so he gets to handle those chores while she handles whatever is left when she gets home later on. This couple are human beings and Nigerians too.

Abeg, make una stop whining about these silly situations AFTER you are done helping create it.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abeg stop!! She can easily ask that her husband share in the burden . . like any human with intelligence should. I know a man who takes care of his kids -- baths them, makes them breakfast, and drops them off at school etc. His wife goes to work earlier than he does, so he gets to handle those chores while she handles whatever is left when she gets home later on. This couple are human beings and Nigerians too.

Abeg, make una stop whining about these silly situations AFTER you are done helping create it.

i kept reading ileobatojo's posts and scratching my head. I know men who cook, do the laundry and clean in their homes. The wife can always speak up and ask the man to help out.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I know a man who takes care of his kids -- baths them, makes them breakfast, and drops them off at school etc. His wife goes to work earlier than he does, so he gets to handle those chores while she handles whatever is left when she gets home later on.

Before nko? Who will do it if not him? Should we give him a medal?

I'm just calling out hypocrisy when I see it that's all.

"She can easily ask that her husband share in the burden"

Really? And when he says but you're the woman nko? All the while forwarding her the bills as they arrive.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Aug 12, 2012
ileobatojo:

Before nko? Who will do it if not him? Should we give him a medal?

Oh Please! Don't now try to side step the point. Men can do things as well, especially the non-handicapped men. IF more women, before or after tieing the knot, demand their fiances/husbands shoulder some of the chores, and stand their ground, then we would probably have less of these cases you speak of.
Instead, what I see are many more women who, in the beginning, essentially DECLARE that it is their place to do it, and then WHINE about how hard it is and how their husbands don't even help, later on when the love-scales fall off their eyes. You don't take on the whole house work from the get go,and then wonder why he is not helping later on.

ileobatojo:
I'm just calling out hypocrisy when I see it that's all.

You are not calling out any hypocrisy, but simply whining about a problem that our women/mothers play a big role in creating. You have mothers who train their daughters how to be wives (essentially to do all the chores),but the same mothers NEVER spend, even a minute training their sons on how to be good husbands.
ileobatojo:
Really? And when he says but you're the woman nko? All the while forwarding her the bills as they arrive.
um . . . it is not by force to marry. If a man says such a thing to you, back away if you are not ready to do all the chores yourself. For a woman to come complaining AFTER ACCEPTING MARRIAGE to the same man, the problem is with her, and she needs to find a way to either fix the problem or LIVE WITH IT.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 12, 2012
Kobojunkie, we are saying the same thing except that you want to put the blame solely on women. Abeg go your way and allow me expose the hypocrites jare. They know themselves.

OP, sorry for derailing your thread.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Ishilove: 4:26am On Aug 12, 2012
Seerer: @poster, I understand what your fears are, some are getting the 'salon'funds wrongly.
Majority misunderstood that part of her post
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Hman12(m): 5:40am On Aug 12, 2012
I fink dat lady in questn is rude, let d guy investigate what's kipn ha dis late n stil no sign of bn humble may God elp us.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Eldashab(m): 5:59am On Aug 12, 2012
No
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by nwapastor: 7:40am On Aug 12, 2012
andromida: You are marrying him out of fear of being single at 30+. Almost all decisions made out of fear are wrong because you are not thinking straight.3 years and he never bought you anything? Hmm did u have a talk with him about this behaviour of his anyway Listen to your heart. Better single with options than married and miserable.
Good advice.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by authenticblack: 7:56am On Aug 12, 2012
Follow your heart,once you are not attracted to him there is no point going further. Don't take a step you will regret just because you are 30 yrs and preoccupied with society and what they would say.Marriage is for your decision alone and your happiness to decide
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by nwapastor: 8:21am On Aug 12, 2012
Efemena_xy:

grin grin grin na which wan come be dudu osun?? Dudu osun bu afa ncha

Come, Cooger - how you take know every single item detail of their needs? shocked shocked shocked

What aren't you telling us, man?? grin grin grin
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by illuminaty(m): 8:32am On Aug 12, 2012
Luckily.....In̶̲̥̅̊ ma lifetime,v met gals who believe I dnt v 2 fund dia bills weda its 100naira recharge card or 10naira pure water.v always assisted dem finacially only wen I dim it fit....smh for gal who depend on guys for finances In̶̲̥̅̊ dis 21st century
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Ubexist: 8:51am On Aug 12, 2012
Half bread is better than none,you can change him or her to what you want if the love is there
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 9:24am On Aug 12, 2012
ileobatojo: Kobojunkie, we are saying the same thing except that you want to put the blame solely on women. Abeg go your way and allow me expose the hypocrites jare. They know themselves.

OP, sorry for derailing your thread.

No we are not really saying the same thing. I am saying that women bear the most of the blame here. From mothers to wives who ACCEPT the behavior. If it was not so accepted, you would not be here thinking the men are the hypocrites to begin with.
It is everywhere. A couple of weeks ago, I had lunch with some friends(Americans) who talked about their marriages. The one talked of how she did everything in the house as if she needed us to pity her and at the same time think her a superwoman, something I have noticed a lot of women who allow this behavior(everyone ignored her). The others went on to talk of how they share the chores with their husbands/wives. At the end of the lunch, the first woman started feeling ashamed of herself for thinking in this day and age, women are still considered superwomen for allowing their men sit back and do nothing while they bear the bulk of the burden of taking care of the home.
No more pity. Women who do that are not considered superwomen but voluntary slaves. And no one cares anymore. Either they change the situation or live with their choice. If you don't want a lazy man, then don't marry one/encourage the man to be lazy. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by brut(f): 9:26am On Aug 12, 2012
Efemena u are the one who needs to think here.This lady isn't married to the man yet so why do you put'husband/wife'.Remember that if one can't tolerate smth in a rship,its better not to get married cos it might get worse.If they r married n he probably loses his job or smth n OP aids him then fine but they aint married yet.OP that guy has a mission

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by mirob(f): 9:43am On Aug 12, 2012
emiye: @OP

If "your" man starts earning twice as much as you do, will you start loving him?

It is not †ђξ matter of earning twice as much as she does, it is †ђξ matter of giving, †ђξ man might be earning much but is not responsible in †ђξ sense of taking care of †ђξ family, that is what †ђξ OP is concerned about.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by mirob(f): 9:51am On Aug 12, 2012
Ishilove:
Majority misunderstood that part of her post

That shows majority here are not mature enough for this topic. tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 12, 2012
I don't see a biggie in bathing MY OWN kids or feeding MY OWN kids...or dressing MY OWN kids...I actually love dressing up kids...Notwithstanding these are women roles...but I'll gladly do them for MY OWN children.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 11:00am On Aug 12, 2012
12 inches!:
I don't see a biggie in bathing MY OWN kids or feeding MY OWN kids...or dressing MY OWN kids...I actually love dressing up kids...Notwithstanding these are women roles...but I'll gladly do them for MY OWN children.

Well, let uS start with where you get the idea that they are women's roles?

3 Likes

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2012
mirob:

It is not †ђξ matter of earning twice as much as she does, it is †ђξ matter of giving, †ђξ man might be earning much but is not responsible in †ђξ sense of taking care of †ђξ family, that is what †ђξ OP is concerned about.

Is she herself giving him ? Or is it just the man to give?

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by anitank(f): 11:12am On Aug 12, 2012
HYPOCRITES!!! Dats what some ladies here are. They come here and trash out nonsense but in real life they're real screwed. No matter how rich a lady is, there is nothing wrong with a man who wants to marry her giving her as little as 2k for hairdo, wether she can afford it or not. It jst shows he can take care of his family with d little he has.....

And if u're a man here and thinks there's nothing wrong with the woman being the bread winner of d family, then I weep for u!!!!
Am so out of here!

2 Likes

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 12, 2012
@poster, I understand what your fears are, some are getting the 'salon'funds wrongly, am an african woman, I honestly expect my man to treat me this way, I could even spend more money on him, but he should show signs of been sensitive to my needs, that is being responsible to me. But its not a deciding factor, just let him know your values. As for not being in love with him, I will advise you bUy more time and get closer to him and find out if you will eventually love him, only then, you will marry him, else, free him, you might end up hurting him badly. But you need time before you decide.

grin grin grin

Hope you remember that you are an African woman when fire hits the roof. tongue

You guys actually think we are stupid, trying to downplay the salon trips part as 'getting it all wrong'. We sabi you people well well tongue. I know how you blackberry, Brazilian weave crazy Nigerian girls think. A man who spends on meagre things like hair, phones, nails, takes you to tasty fried chicken, shocked buys you common icecream, you automatically deem as responsible, 'oh he's so caring', he becomes Mr. fantastic, Mr. Romantic, Mr. Melody, Mr. Magic, loll while his character stinks like a sewer.

Just realized the Op wasn't really dating the guy per se, and wants freebies already? Lollll.

4 Likes

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Well, let uS start with where you get the idea that they are women's roles?
Let us start with ow old u are......Not that age is linearly related to maturity but atleast I shud be sure I'm not discussing with some teenager...then I cn answer ur question.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 12, 2012
anitank:
Am so out of here!

Good

2 Likes

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 11:18am On Aug 12, 2012
12 inches!:

Let us start with ow old u are......Not that age is linearly related to maturity but atleast I shud be sure I'm not discussing with some teenager...then I cn answer ur question.
Sorry but you are more likely the immature entity here considering the comment you made there. So, please focus on the issue.

2 Likes

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Kobojunkie: 11:20am On Aug 12, 2012
stillwater:

grin grin grin

Hope you remember that you are an African woman when fire hits the roof. tongue

You guys actually think we are stupid, trying to downplay the salon trips part as 'getting it all wrong'. We sabi you people well well tongue. [size=13pt]I know how you blackberry, Brazilian weave crazy Nigerian girls think. A man who spends on meagre things like hair, phones, nails, takes you to tasty fried chicken, shocked buys you common icecream, you automatically deem as responsible, 'oh he's so caring', he becomes Mr. fantastic, Mr. Romantic, Mr. Melody, Mr. Magic, loll while his character stinks like a sewer. [/size]

Just realized the Op wasn't really dating the guy per se, and wants freebies already? Lollll.

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by anitank(f): 11:21am On Aug 12, 2012
jennykadry:

Good
And who are u
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 12, 2012
anitank:
And who are u
I thought you said you are out of here ?

1 Like

Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 12, 2012
anitank: HYPOCRITES!!! Dats what some ladies here are. They come here and trash out nonsense but in real life they're real screwed. No matter how rich a lady is, there is nothing wrong with a man who wants to marry her giving her as little as 2k for hairdo, wether she can afford it or not. It jst shows he can take care of his family with d little he has.....

And if u're a man here and thinks there's nothing wrong with the woman being the bread winner of d family, then I weep for u!!!!
Am so out of here!
So what if in the course of ur marriage the guy shud face hard times or lose his job....he shud go and hang himself abi...Or because the man has a ROLE has bread winner u won't pay school fees or put food on ur family's table if u're still O.K financial...Wa pe n be.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 12, 2012
anitank: HYPOCRITES!!! Dats what some ladies here are. They come here and trash out nonsense but in real life they're real screwed. No matter how rich a lady is, there is nothing wrong with a man who wants to marry her giving her as little as 2k for hairdo, wether she can afford it or not. It jst shows he can take care of his family with d little he has.....

Am so out of here!

Because you pay for your hair do, your man is no more the bread winner? Olodo rabata.
Which little? As if people like you are ever satisfied with little. grin
Next thing we'd hear is 'this man sef, it's only two two thousand naira he gives me' grin
Freaking hell, 2k is not even up to $20, ewwwwww.
Re: Marrying Someone You Are Not Crazy About.- Should I Marry Him? by drzed: 11:30am On Aug 12, 2012
ACM10:
I don't think that the poster is not attractive. I can't stay in a truly faithful relationship for one month without intimacy, let alone 3yrs. Except the guy is a gay or impotent. Pls poster, don't celebrate the fact that he has not shagged u since u started your affair with him. This calls for some serious questions. You should investigate to know whether he is sleeping-with other babes. A sexually active man cannot stay that long.

maxpro-xl:

As u said uv been friends with this man for 3yrs with no intimacy. The truth is no healthy man can do without sex for 3yrs so your "friend" is definately doing it with someone and respects u for not asking for it since.

ACM10:
I made the same comment and Drzed hounded me. I thought that I'm the odd one out.

@ACM10: I apologise if you felt hounded by my response. It was neither my intention nor my style (to hound people on NL).

My response was rather blunt and I disagreed with most/all of what you said, but only because it was all too focused on the guy's intimacy (or the lack of it) with the OP. Nothing personal.

I felt your comments were chauvinistic, or, for lack of a better term, stereotyping men as sex-maniacs. To say that all men cannot do without sex for three years and/or to equate it to their 'unhealthiness' is not only a blatant lie, but also a dangerous line of thinking. It is not clear to me what you or maxpro-xl's gender is, but regardless, there are many men who will dispute this statement - some vehemently. I for one, am inclined to take it as an insult on men, but hey, this is Nairaland. Thick skin.

Also, I dont know if either you (ACM10) or maxpro-xl are married or single. But it doesnt matter. Assuming either or both of you are female, then invariably, you are implying that your current/future husband will defintely be unfaithful to you IF, (for example, and God forbid), you were indisposed - or your career made you travel out - for an extended period. And just in case either you (ACM10) or maxpro-xl happen to be a man, then you are just assuring us in no uncertain terms, that your current/future wife should not expect you to be faithful for a period ranging from one month to three years, irrespective of the circumstances. WOW!..

In summary, and based on the OP's dilemma, your argument is that women like her should never expect their husbands to be faithful if they are separated or have not 'done it' for up to one month or longer. Really?

Anyhow and regardless of your gender (which is not clear from your userID)...do you sincerely fall into one of these categories of a sex-driven, hormone-dripping, libido-intoxicated and perpetually unfaithful partner? I think not, but correct me if I am wrong.

This is why I stated that such thoughts or beliefs lead to marriages been broken even before the nuptials are done. The seeds of mistrust are sown by such thoughts/beliefs. All that is needed is only an innocent wink/smile at someone else, a few late nights at work, or some private phone calls for such seeds to germinate. Next thing, the opposite partner will 'retaliate' by avenging the perceived unfaithfulness and GBAM! Marriage don scatter be dat!

Many people I know (men and women, inclusive) abstain from sex outside marriage for several reasons, of which religious belief is just one of them. Others will cite the preponderance of sexually-transmitted disease as a reason, while for some, the possibility of a child born out of wedlock is unfathomable. Besides, not every man has super-hyper-active sex hormones constantly flowing through their veins, and driving them nuts day-in, day-out. And for your info, libido not only varies from person to person, but actually wears off with age unless one is addicted to those purple tablets.

In your own case (ACM10) you stated that you could not do without sex for even one month and so you have decided to use that personal fact as proof that this fellow is gay or impotent. Thank God you did not even call him an impotent gay man (wink). But seriously, this is quite unfair and if he was here reading such post, he has every right to feel offended. You could never have known his sexua1 orientation or prowess merely from the OP's cry for help. You went as far as insinuating that he is sleeping with other women since he is not doing it with the OP. Haba!

Please stop measuring people's attitude in a relationship by using sex as the S.I. unit.

It is wrong.

cheers.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Woman Delivers Conjoined Twins In Enugu (picture) / She Didn't Know She Was Pregnant Until She Saw The Baby's Head / Shocking Picture Of A Child Half Buried Into The Ground

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.