Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,561 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Comments/complaints/suggestions - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Comments/complaints/suggestions (143703 Views)

Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue / Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments / Make Comments On The New License Plate Number By Frsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 5:06am On Apr 12, 2013
Please, am begging, lets not be derailing threads intentionally. I will use a thread below as a case study:

https://www.nairaland.com/1206432/funny-things-non-car-enthusiasts-say

The above thread was created by me actually. Someone, a member, came into the thread to cause trouble, simply because he had an issue with me in another thread. At a point, i tried to make him realise with some posts how wrong he was, not knowing that i was derailing the thread and giving room for more troll in that thread. I had to go back and started from the 1st page of that thread to remove all the wrong posts in that thread, including mine. But two members here deliberately, intentionally and consistently kept derailing that thread that i had no option than to ban those usernames. One came back with his another username and continued with the troll. Usernames involved here are Trac and nony30.

If one doesnt like a topic, you could as well not bother to check out the content of the topic or simply lay your complain here. Or you could as well open another thread to counter the other thread and start your campaign the other thread. But going into a thread to cause trouble simply because you dont like the topic of that thread is wrong. There is a difference between having a different opinion about a post and not liking a topic. One has the right to state his different opinion about a post in a thread, but not start causing trouble in a thread simply because you dont like a thread. Thats what this thread is here for. Lay your complaints here, please am begging everyone. This case was the very first time i banned members here in car talk for troll. I didnt enjoy doing it. Thank you.

Moderator.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by yungboss(m): 12:49am On Apr 14, 2013
okay bro...understood. But here is a suggestion:
i think it would be okay if someone who has been suspended be tagged, i.e., all will see that the person has been suspended by "redflagging" the name. E.g. "youngboss"
suspended
Then it should be explicitly stated on their profile that they have been suspended for so and so reason...an automated mail could also be sent onwards informing the user that his profile has been banned for stated reasons, this way people will be aware of what it is...it's just a suggestion though.

1 Like

Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
yungboss: okay bro...understood. But here is a suggestion:
i think it would be okay if someone who has been suspended be tagged, i.e., all will see that the person has been suspended by "redflagging" the name. E.g. "youngboss"
suspended
Then it should be explicitly stated on their profile that they have been suspended for so and so reason...an automated mail could also be sent onwards informing the user that his profile has been banned for stated reasons, this way people will be aware of what it is...it's just a suggestion though.

All you stated above have been the practice. Have you checked the profiles of those that complained they were banned unjustly? The reasons for their ban were/are stated in their profiles, and mails were also forwarded to them regarding their ban/status and the reason for the ban.

Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Emperoh(m): 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2013
Nna m, someone needs your attention and assistance here

https://www.nairaland.com/1258477/beware-car-dealer-francismic#15287906
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by chronique(m): 2:00pm On Apr 24, 2013
help!!! pls it looks like i have been banned and i do not know for what reason this is. someone should pls help me out as this is affecting my biz. to the best of my knowledge,i've conducted myself properly in this section and have not gone against the laid down rules and regulations governing this section(auto section). thanks.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
chronique: help!!! pls it looks like i have been banned and i do not know for what reason this is. someone should pls help me out as this is affecting my biz. to the best of my knowledge,i've conducted myself properly in this section and have not gone against the laid down rules and regulations governing this section(auto section). thanks.

Sorry, you were banned in Autos section by Anti-spambot, not in Car Talk section. Can you send you a PM to the moderators of Autos section? Because i donot have the permission to unban you in a section i dont moderate.

Or you wait, since the ban will expire by 6pm today.

Moderator.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1268376/hidden-posts-unnecessary-banning-no

Seun: The AntispamBot is one thing and the rules of the section are completely different and unrelated things, so let's not mix them up.

Seun, I agree. The AntispamBot is one thing. But at that's why we have Moderators, so in the event of the AntispamBot tagging posts, or a poster having his / her posting privileges revoked, they can be contacted.

When a Moderator is contacted, and the link to the hidden post is emailed across, then one would expect him / her to act upon it. When a week later, a valid (non-spam) post remains hidden, then something's not right. Antispam and Moderators are meant to work together to keep things ticking over, otherwise threads end up with big holes in them, and make little or no sense.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Nobody: 7:47pm On Apr 24, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1268376/hidden-posts-unnecessary-banning-no

Ikenna351: Siena, am really not happy with the content of your post here and the intention of creating this thread. Am still trying to understand why you started this thread? To lay complain or to paint the section moderator, the Admin and the forum bad? How come you didnt state who or what banned you and hid your post? You made it look like the section moderator banned you and hid your post for no just cause. Was it not stated in your profile that it was Antispambot that banned you and hid your post? Since when did Ikenna351 become Antispambot? Please, lets be fair to each other. Now, because of the content or tone of your post, smartchoice had assumed that i did the unjust ban and asked that i clearify the section rule to everyone. How unfair!

You talked about having direct contact with a moderator, but my personal email address and personal phone number are clearly stated in my signature. How many moderators have their personal contacts displayed for everyone to see? Has anyone sent me a mail or called me via the email address and phone number without my picking the call or replying the mail? You have my phone number

Ikenna, nowhere in my post did I blame any Moderator for hidden posts. My gripe was with the means of contact between Moderator and Subscribers when a post IS hidden. I can only suggest you're reading more into my complaint than there is - it's nothing personal.

My tone is pretty neutral, there's no way you can deduce my mood from a typed post, and as for Smartchoice, I honestly can't account for how other's choose to interprete posts. I wasn't having a go at you, I was merely stating things as I see them.

As for calling you to draw your attention to any issues on Nairaland, that's not really practical, given the fact it's long-distance.

My point still stands though - there should be a more direct PM system for Moderators. The email-based one probably doesn't work for everyone, I personally don't always check my emails. A PM system whereby Moderators can read messages without having to log onto their email clients would make things much better.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by obiumuuwa: 4:13pm On May 17, 2013
Please I need help,
I need the unlock code for my 2002 CRV car radio,
The VIN is JHLRD68442C002585
Serial U2300
L7411
Please email me obiumuuwa@yahoo.com
Thanks
Obi
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 5:00pm On May 17, 2013
obiumuuwa: Please I need help,
I need the unlock code for my 2002 CRV car radio,
The VIN is JHLRD68442C002585
Serial U2300
L7411
Please email me obiumuuwa@yahoo.com
Thanks
Obi

Please, could you start a thread on this? This is a complaint thread, not for enquiries on our car issues.

Moderator.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by cretin: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
the thread...what did you do to your car today...
the moderators have killed the spirit of that thread as people are tied of posting...cos whats the use of posting if ur post will be hidden by the moderator?..nairaland moderators..methinks you guys need to check out other car forums and see how things are done....this incessant post hiding isnt a good idea...at all
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 4:52pm On Jun 30, 2013
cretin: the thread...what did you do to your car today...
the moderators have killed the spirit of that thread as people are tied of posting...cos whats the use of posting if ur post will be hidden by the moderator?..nairaland moderators..methinks you guys need to check out other car forums and see how things are done....this incessant post hiding isnt a good idea...at all

Well, am sorry that you felt that way about that thread. I will explain why those posts were hidden.

Fortunately, i belong to not less than 10 online French car forums. So, i know very well how things are done in online car forums.

For example, in 406 coupe club, the forum is broken down into various sections:

1. Petrol section.
2. HDI section.
3. Transmission.
4. Brakes.
5. Steering, suspension, wheels and tyres.
6. Electrical.
7. Body & Interior.
8. Security systems.
9. Project section.
10. Etc.

Now, in that forum, you are not allowed to post HDI issue in Petrol section. The petrol section is where all issues or discussion about petrol engines used in 406 coupe are discussed. Not even brake issues or headlight issues are allowed to be discussed there. So, if a member or a new one wants to find a solution to his petrol engine issues, he visit petrol section. Likewise, issues concerning other parts of the cars are sought in their respective sections.

In 505turbo forum, they have the following sections:

1. Build/project discussion/section.
2. 50x series discussion/section.
3. 40x series section.
4. General Peugeot discussion.
5. Exterior.
6. Interior.
7. Etc.

In the above forum, you are not allowed to discuss 505 in 40x series thread. Likewise, the other sections.

The thread you were referring to have those hidden posts because members were derailing that thread with good posts in a wrong thread. The thread is about what we do to our cars on daily basis, for those who wants other members to know about them. But some of us suddenly turned that thread into a Truck thread, simpmy because a member posted what he did to his truck on a particular. Yes, we could comment on what he did to his/her car as stated in the post, but when members now start discussing about that particular car and how to do some modifications on such cars and all that, is taking away what the thread was created for. We could as well modify the thread to read " Truck thread" or "How to modify Truck suspension, headlight, brakes, etc. The truck posts took, if not, more than a page. We can always open a thread to discuss about our trucks or SUVs, but not in that thread, please. Its like going into benz thread and start discussing Peugeot. Otherwise, why was the thread created specifically for Benz discussion, yet the Peugeot owners goes in there and messed it up.

The truth is, we are finding it difficult to adjust to the forum rules, which we have been negleting in Car talk, which other sections have been implementing. We have been violating the forum rules against derailing threads, myself included. When i realised the mistake and have been trying to correct it, we find it strange or bully on my part to implement such forum rules. Or we are saying posts are not hidden in other sections? Are we saying Cat Talk should be excluded from the forum rules?

Lets always try and post on topic so that those our informative good posts wont be removed, hidden or deleted, if posted in a wrong thread. There is always appropriate thread to post on. Or we can always start a new one, if not found in Car Talk Library.

Moderator.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by cretin: 1:16pm On Jul 01, 2013
ok,..ur explanation is logical...what am saying is that some leeway is always given to some posts that arise as a reult of what some1 posted on the original thread....not every minor spinoff of a thread/discussion needs a new post to be created....and since this is not a 100% car forum with proper subsections....applying verbatim all the rules of a car forum isnt very apprioprate,

eg if a member posted what he did to his headlights...and another member wants to show a that headlight xzy he saw on another forum is better..................so you recommend, he opens another thread?...just to show the comparism?..the whole thing would hv lost its meaning :fencing:

i think the moderator was too stringent in applying the rules in the what i did to my car thread,.....
but anyways..u guys are the take the last decision,
thanks for even attempting to clarify ur position...some others wouldnt
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 12:11am On Jul 12, 2013
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by kingschild123(m): 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
I am making a suggestion that there should be a subforum for discussing Car Parts and Accessories instead of just focusing on only vehicles in general.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 3:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
kingschild123: I am making a suggestion that there should be a subforum for discussing Car Parts and Accessories instead of just focusing on only vehicles in general.

If i inderstand you, you are suggesting that a Car Parts and Accessories SECTION is created, just like Autos and Car Talk section?

Ikenna
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by jchidi28: 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nice one
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by elviszzz: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2013
hello, please what are functions of multifunction switch in an audi a6 1999 quattro and symptoms of bad multifunction switch,thanks.
Re: Comments/complaints/suggestions by Ikenna351(m): 9:59am On Jul 23, 2013
elviszzz: hello, please what are functions of multifunction switch in an audi a6 1999 quattro and symptoms of bad multifunction switch,thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/810561/audi-volkswagen-issues-resolution-thread/14

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

LIST OF GOOD AUTO WORKSHOPS IN NIGERIA / Do U Know The Abbreviations On Your Number Plates? / Range Rover Sports Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.