Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (340430 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2013
i co washed my hair tuday

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 8:24pm On Jan 03, 2013
nice cheesy ^
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 3:33am On Jan 25, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 5:48pm On Jan 25, 2013
I wish I was able to do twists..I don`t know if its my girls hair, or the way I do it, but it just does not stay, AT ALL. Any tips?
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 12:52am On Jan 26, 2013
Here's my hair after shaving it. It's grown grin and the curls have started to show. This was taken after I washed it and used olive oil. It's not clear because I was in dim light but you can make it out.

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 2:20am On Jan 28, 2013
JallowBah: I wish I was able to do twists..I don`t know if its my girls hair, or the way I do it, but it just does not stay, AT ALL. Any tips?

Do braids instead grin grin grin - My daughters hair will stay in braids but not twists.. They have to be TIGHT in order to stay and it bothers her.

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 4:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
I already braid herwink It just seems like twists would be more quick and easy at times, but..pffft.

Her hair is very soft for being a mixed kid, most of the kids I know have more of the african texture, but hers is almost babylike, still. I am guessing that is what makes twisting more difficult..
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
Oh yes. Its probably the texture then. My friend has a little boy with very soft hair.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 8:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Oh well, she looks beautiful with braids, as do your kidsmiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 29, 2013
Thanks.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 7:07am On Jan 29, 2013
JallowBah: I already braid herwink It just seems like twists would be more quick and easy at times, but..pffft.

Her hair is very soft for being a mixed kid, most of the kids I know have more of the african texture, but hers is almost babylike, still. I am guessing that is what makes twisting more difficult..

It's because she's still young. Some kids take longer to get their adult texture. Her hair will become strong and easier to manage as she grows up.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2013
kandiikane:

It's because she's still young. Some kids take longer to get their adult texture. Her hair will become strong and easier to manage as she grows up.

Everyone is saying that, and I kinda hope so, even though it will be even more difficult to maintain.
But a friends kid, who is also mixed, has the same texture, and is 9 years old..so we will seesmiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by tiebe: 8:31am On Jan 30, 2013
abeg, who has seen this hair do? am i the only one who's on fire for the hair?

ok, having issues uploading the image o. but u can look up teyonah parris at the SAG awards!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 3:28am On Jan 31, 2013
JallowBah:

Everyone is saying that, and I kinda hope so, even though it will be even more difficult to maintain.
But a friends kid, who is also mixed, has the same texture, and is 9 years old..so we will seesmiley
My hair was very curly when I was younger, but now I barely have curls whatsoever (mixed) and requires nearly no mainteance. It still goes dry like a lot of African hair, so I use shampoos for dry hair, and some high quality creams. My sisters have all relaxed hair, so can't tell you much about that. But like your child, my hair does not stay if I try to do anything with it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 4:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
StarFlux: My hair was very curly when I was younger, but now I barely have curls whatsoever (mixed) and requires nearly no mainteance. It still goes dry like a lot of African hair, so I use shampoos for dry hair, and some high quality creams. My sisters have all relaxed hair, so can't tell you much about that. But like your child, my hair does not stay if I try to do anything with it.

I kinda wish her hair would go to ONE of the sides, lol. Finding the right products is the biggest challenge. Where I live now, there are no african or arabic shops, so the cocoa oil and Ambla I used before, that really worked, are no where to be found. Can`t wait to move back to the capital..

The next thing I will try is a mixture of pure shea butter, coco oil, and water. Any tips that you use yourself?
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 4:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
JallowBah:

I kinda wish her hair would go to ONE of the sides, lol. Finding the right products is the biggest challenge. Where I live now, there are no african or arabic shops, so the cocoa oil and Ambla I used before, that really worked, are no where to be found. Can`t wait to move back to the capital..

The next thing I will try is a mixture of pure shea butter, coco oil, and water. Any tips that you use yourself?
Right now I use a cream with shea butter and cocoa butter. It makes the hair silky smooth, but doesn't help with making it stay. I've pretty much given up on it, so sadly, no magic tricks tongue

When you do get to the capital though, go to Bobby's (on Karl Johan) and Edge Barber Shop (on Stenergata, close to Oslo Spektrum), they are really good and got plenty of creams and tips for you to try out.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 6:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
StarFlux: Right now I use a cream with shea butter and cocoa butter. It makes the hair silky smooth, but doesn't help with making it stay. I've pretty much given up on it, so sadly, no magic tricks tongue

When you do get to the capital though, go to Bobby's (on Karl Johan) and Edge Barber Shop (on Stenergata, close to Oslo Spektrum), they are really good and got plenty of creams and tips for you to try out.

Edge, nope. They charge up to four times more for the same products as the nigerian shops up in Storgata does. I love the people working there, but the prices? Naaah.

Bobbys, on the other hand..inside near Skippergata, if I remember correctly. Gonna stop by there in some weeks, will absolutely check it out, thank yousmiley
( And I find it funny that I get better tips about Norways shops in a nigerian forum, than I do in norwegian forums... )

Feel free to share the recipe for your cream, and how you use it, by the way. Its the smoothness I need, for whenever the hair is not braided.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 8:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
JallowBah:

Edge, nope. They charge up to four times more for the same products as the nigerian shops up in Storgata does. I love the people working there, but the prices? Naaah.

Bobbys, on the other hand..inside near Skippergata, if I remember correctly. Gonna stop by there in some weeks, will absolutely check it out, thank yousmiley
( And I find it funny that I get better tips about Norways shops in a nigerian forum, than I do in norwegian forums... )

Feel free to share the recipe for your cream, and how you use it, by the way. Its the smoothness I need, for whenever the hair is not braided.
Hehe yeah, love the people at Edge.

Never cut my hair or anything in Storgata, so can't compare the prices to Bobby's, but my sisters have been somewhere in Storgata with 2 women (sisters I think) cutting hair, maybe you know it.

Anyway, the cream I use now is an already mixed one. It's from Kera Care - Everyday moisturizer 3. It has shea and cocoa butter, as well as amla (bought it from Bobby's). It has worked very well for me so far. It's a bit stiff the first 30min - 1 hour after application, but after that my hair feel very good. I've used a couple of other products through the years, but this one is the best one in my opinion (at least for my hair). I apply it when I wake up (or after my hair has dried after taking shower), and it keeps my hair silky and moisturized through the entire day. I wash my hair 2 times a week, and the cream gets cleaned out then, but you can reapply it everyday without the need to shower. Kera also had a shampoo to go with this cream, but that shampoo didn't work out too well for me.

I've generally been sceptical about buying shampoos from the grocery store, because they're usually bad. But I actually got my hands on this shampoo from Define Hair care - argan oil shampoo (also some cocoa in it). It works REALLY well, I was shocked when I saw the result. So right now I'm using these two, and I'm very happy about it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 9:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
You should go up to Scorpius in Grunerloekka, and check their Herbal Shampoo. It is the second best I have ever tried..I used hemp-shampoo from the hemp-shop not far from Aker Brygge earlier, but they stopped selling it, damn fools. That shampoo works great both for my white hair, her mixed hair, and his african hairwink

I will check by Bobbys when I go down, absolutely. Or google a little bit and see if I find a way to fix it myself..I brought back around 1kg pure shea butter from Gambia grin Best lotion ever.

How does it work now in the winter, though? When I used coco oil after shower on her, it just got HARD and white-ish colored after ten minutes outside, not very nice..Gonna braid her tomorrow, will make sure to post picturessmiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 11:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
I will definitely check that out, always looking for better hair products!

Well, I haven't had a problem with it. Just massage it thoroughly with moderate amounts, if you do that, it shouldn't go white. But from my experience, make sure the hair is dry, so it gets properly absorbed.

1KG pure shea butter??! Oh my cheesy
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 12:31am On Feb 01, 2013
StarFlux: I will definitely check that out, always looking for better hair products!

Well, I haven't had a problem with it. Just massage it thoroughly with moderate amounts, if you do that, it shouldn't go white. But from my experience, make sure the hair is dry, so it gets properly absorbed.

1KG pure shea butter??! Oh my cheesy

I was adviced to d it while the hair was still a little wet..and it looked and felt damn nice until we got outside in the cold. Lol.
I will try with dry hair next time.

Yep, 1kg. I love it, it is the only lotion I can use all year around that works on EVERYTHING. After shaving, on rashes ( I react to certain food and fabrics, start scratching like crazy ), dry feet, dry skin, dry scalp, even lip-balm. And number one fav about it; You know in the summer-time, walking with dresses, up between your thighs gets effed up from sweating? Not with pure shea butter on your thighs. Best product ever grin Let me know if you wanna buy some, haha!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 1:19am On Feb 01, 2013
JallowBah:

I was adviced to d it while the hair was still a little wet..and it looked and felt damn nice until we got outside in the cold. Lol.
I will try with dry hair next time.

Yep, 1kg. I love it, it is the only lotion I can use all year around that works on EVERYTHING. After shaving, on rashes ( I react to certain food and fabrics, start scratching like crazy ), dry feet, dry skin, dry scalp, even lip-balm. And number one fav about it; You know in the summer-time, walking with dresses, up between your thighs gets effed up from sweating? Not with pure shea butter on your thighs. Best product ever grin Let me know if you wanna buy some, haha!
Hehe, awesome! cheesy

Yeah, I believe the general recommendation is to apply it while the hair is still wet, though I really don't understand why. Only thing I've noticed is that it gets white-looking so much easier, and doesn't get properly absorbed in my hair. I guess in summer it's fine to apply it while it's wet, but in winter it doesn't work at all. But make sure you use water with that shea butter and oil, as you said, since it's dry.

Love lotion! Shea butter, cocoa butter and all that. My friends went crazy on my cocoa butter when we were on vacation. How can people not love lotion <(^.^)> Also, looking forward to the pics!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 1:14pm On Feb 01, 2013

There you gosmiley

I don`t know why, but around 3 months ago, she started getting frizzy hair when I am braiding, she gets these small, small parts sticking out...and I have been braiding her for around one year now. Anyone know why??
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2013
Oh my, she has exactly the same hair as my sister before she relaxed! Nice smiley That hair was usually frizzy when braided, not sure if there is an underlying cause.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 3:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
Alright..then it`s probably "just" her hairtypesmiley Good to know, though, cause I have only gotten better, not worse..lol.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by StarFlux: 5:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
JallowBah: Alright..then it`s probably "just" her hairtypesmiley Good to know, though, cause I have only gotten better, not worse..lol.
Hehe, yeah! cheesy
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
Following! I need to get inspired to do more. Have gotten into the lazy routine of doing anywhere from 1-6 braid outs on the weekend (to stretch the hair) and bunning all week!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1037444/beauty-natural-hair-thread/10#13666477

i love it!! i love it!!! cheesy cheesy

awesome updates everyone!!! cheesy
@kandikane i wish i could see your entire hair do!! smiley

@topic: i've found my "natural look" i cornrowed the front of my hair in zig zag/ cross over styles.

then i put the rest in bantu knots with cantu-shea butter cream...i undid the bantu knots after sleeping with them in over night. then this morning separated them...and i gotta say!!! i loooooove it!! cool

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ML_CQ7OUBtw/TxxIidiDddI/AAAAAAAAUS8/6BHobAfvqmY/s200/IMAG0339.jpg[/img]
i kinda looks like this..only i cornrowed the front of my hair!! smiley smiley smiley

i want to go for this look next!!

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
hmmm i just discovered a cool natural hair site. cheesy smiley

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012_01_22_archive.html
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
ileobatojo: Following! I need to get inspired to do more. Have gotten into the lazy routine of doing anywhere from 1-6 braid outs on the weekend (to stretch the hair) and bunning all week!

cool cool
glad you've joined!! going natural is awesome!

i wasn't always patient or super excited about it to be honest. esp. since i realized i'd have to get up about 15-30 minutes earlier each morning to do my hair tongue but now since i've gotten past that "lazy" stage i am loving it more and more. smiley

but i can't say i don't miss my perms every so often! tongue

funny thing...last week i was eyeing this optimum perm set in the local CVS store grin kind of like how a newly reformed crack head does a crack house grin i was sooooo tempted but i over came it and just got bottles of olive and carrot oils instead. cool

btw:
braid outs are cool. maybe you should try two strand twist outs smiley but if you see something else on here you like, try it and don't forget so post examples kiss

God made men first, then he had a better idea.

hilarious! grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 1:20am On Feb 05, 2013
MsDarkSkin: https://www.nairaland.com/1037444/beauty-natural-hair-thread/10#13666477

i love it!! i love it!!! cheesy cheesy

awesome updates everyone!!! cheesy
@kandikane i wish i could see your entire hair do!! smiley

@topic: i've found my "natural look" i cornrowed the front of my hair in zig zag/ cross over styles.

then i put the rest in bantu knots with cantu-shea butter cream...i undid the bantu knots after sleeping with them in over night. then this morning separated them...and i gotta say!!! i loooooove it!! cool

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ML_CQ7OUBtw/TxxIidiDddI/AAAAAAAAUS8/6BHobAfvqmY/s200/IMAG0339.jpg[/img]
i kinda looks like this..only i cornrowed the front of my hair!! smiley smiley smiley

i want to go for this look next!!

Lol, I feel I've put on weight on my face this winter that's why I haven't really taken photos this time round. grin will post some soon.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
kandiikane:

Lol, I feel I've put on weight on my face this winter that's why I haven't really taken photos this time round. grin will post some soon.

lol i understand!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.