Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,455 members, 7,850,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:55 AM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (342314 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:26am On Apr 26, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:30am On Apr 26, 2013

south african singer Lira... smiley

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:32am On Apr 26, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:35am On Apr 26, 2013
smiley smiley

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:17am On Apr 26, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 28, 2013
smiley

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 2:50am On Apr 28, 2013
How do you manage the new "baby hair" growths? This is my biggest struggle as it can make the whole hair style look messy.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 9:25am On Apr 28, 2013
Here are Photos since I last shaved my hair. It's grown but my hair grows inwards making the hair look dense instead of outwards to make it look longer. Anyway, at first glance someone would think it hasn't grown much but it has, the length's just hiding underneath. smiley
I have literally gone overboard with the 'less is more' by completely neglecting my hair. Can't remember when I laast shampooed and conditioned it and creamed it-i mean the whole shibam. LAWD have mercy!! Thank God for wigcaps. grin

Luckily for me, my hair is soft so it's not dry even though I have not conditioned or creamed it in a while. Just get bits of strands on the side that can get dry. Probably because I sleep on it.

Erm, can someone recommend a good cream that's not oily based. Oil products just sit on my hair doing nothing.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2013
Kandiikane, when you're trying to choose a hair moisturizer, you should make sure the first ingredient is water. Oil doesn't moisturizer the hair, that's why it just sits on the hair. Your hair looks like a 3-something, I'm thinking 3a-3b. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In might work for you.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 28, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 28, 2013
I'm trying to decide what to do to my hair next. I'm so tired of regular braids undecided. I'm strongly considering yarn braids, but they take too much time to do (I used to do them). If I do end up doing them this time, I would like to twist them instead of braiding, BUUUUT ....I don't know how to twist, so I gotta learn that if I want to do them. undecided

Here're pictures of yarn braids and twists (I'm not in any of them):

[img]http://kinkynichelle.files./2012/09/yarn.jpg[/img]

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 2:45pm On Apr 28, 2013
@yield, I like the idea of the yarn braids. I've always wanted to do dreads, I guess this is the closest I can get to doing it. Erm, how do you mean it takes long. Is braiding it different to braiding normal hair extension and which exact yarn do you use. I want to try it. smiley

P.s. I had to go google tthe 3a/b hair. I've never been sure what my hair type was because it wasn't in the 4s. Just found a website that just got me my exact type- 3c. I will try you the cantu shea butter. smiley

lol, pray I continue in this journey, I give up easily growing my hair. I shall not shave my hair ever again, I will let it grow past my feet. lol grin

But i seriously love this below.

Going to save it to do for summer.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 2:51pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://aliciajames.files./2012/11/41-48-months-natural-hair.jpg?w=812[/img]

This right here gives me hope. I think I've got to be serious with maintaining my hair. Too much negligence too can stop the hair from growing to it's full potential.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by BlackKenichi(m): 2:59pm On Apr 28, 2013
kandiikane: [img]http://aliciajames.files./2012/11/41-48-months-natural-hair.jpg?w=812[/img]

This right here gives me hope. I think I've got to be serious with maintaining my hair. Too much negligence too can stop the hair from growing to it's full potential.

She's got great hair! smiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 3:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

LOL you are a trip!! grin grin
But yeah some of our ancestors came from Nigeria..not all though. We have ancestry all over the western shores of africa..heck even Madagascar believe it or not. tongue

But Igbos definitely have influenced our language for sure. We even still use an old Igbo banking system cool..we call it "padna (partner) draw" smiley its where you have a group of people and they all put a certain percentage in the "group" with one acting as the banker. Every draw week one person in the group will inherit the money and it continues until everyone gets a lump sum. and it goes on and on..you can even borrow from it. smiley

anyway, i had the thread closed down because i am about to take a hiatus from nl soon
(i can have it unlocked if you want)...and i didn't want it to get ruined by haters in my absense. tongue tongue but it'll be up and running when i come back. smiley

Oh this padna you talk of is very common especially across west african women. We call it 'susso'
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 29, 2013
kandiikane: @yield, I like the idea of the yarn braids. I've always wanted to do dreads, I guess this is the closest I can get to doing it. Erm, how do you mean it takes long. Is braiding it different to braiding normal hair extension and which exact yarn do you use. I want to try it. smiley

P.s. I had to go google tthe 3a/b hair. I've never been sure what my hair type was because it wasn't in the 4s. Just found a website that just got me my exact type- 3c. I will try you the cantu shea butter. smiley

lol, pray I continue in this journey, I give up easily growing my hair. I shall not shave my hair ever again, I will let it grow past my feet. lol grin

But i seriously love this below.

Going to save it to do for summer.

Edity: yarn pics too big

For the yarn braids, you would need 100% acrylic yarn. Other types of yarn can be drying, but 100% acrylic yarn can help retain moisture, that's why this particular yarn is recommended. You can buy the yarn at art supply stores, fabric supply stores or walmart. Red Heart & Bernhat are both popular brands.

Doing yarn braids's the same as doing normal braids. The only difference is cutting the yarn to the length you want. I use 3 strands of yarn, fold them into half and use that to braid one section. Also, with yarn braids you don't have to worry about slippage. New braiders have this problem; I sure did when I stared braiding. The yarn holds well. As long as you make sure your hands are as close to the scalp as possible, they will hold. Yarn braids always took me a while to finish, maybe because I did them very long.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 04, 2013
kandiikane:

Oh this padna you talk of is very common especially across west african women. We call it 'susso'

very interesting.
SniperInADiaper: How do you manage the new "baby hair" growths? This is my biggest struggle as it can make the whole hair style look messy.

when i was young my mom would apply grease to them and shape them in a "side burn" like manner with a brush or comb.

kind of like this.

you see how she brushed the hair forward (down ward) and then brushed the edges toward her ear to blend in with the rest of her hair?

(i hope you understand what i am trying to say lol) grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rify(f): 7:04am On May 05, 2013
Oh very nice thread. I had my last perm in sept 2012 too. One of the beat decisions I have taken for my hair yea? I know.
I haven't startd rocking my hair really, still transitioning. Wigs, braids trying to get to work with my natural. One thing I really wish to do is learn to put my extensions nyself. Pheeew.
Am documenting my journey though. Not much. But am so obsessed with natural hair now.
A lot of negative comments too. Most people haven't really accepted the natural hair thing in Nigeria but boy! Am loving the journey everyday.
www.naturalrify.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 05, 2013
Rify: Oh very nice thread. I had my last perm in sept 2012 too. One of the beat decisions I have taken for my hair yea? I know.
I haven't startd rocking my hair really, still transitioning. Wigs, braids trying to get to work with my natural. One thing I really wish to do is learn to put my extensions nyself. Pheeew.
Am documenting my journey though. Not much. But am so obsessed with natural hair now.
A lot of negative comments too. Most people haven't really accepted the natural hair thing in Nigeria but boy! Am loving the journey everyday.
www.naturalrify.

Nice blog. I co-washed back when I first BCed and it was aiight. I didn't care too much for it, but just stuck with it to see how it would fare. As my hair got longer I didn't think it was giving me that clean feeling I needed on my scalp, so I stopped and have never looked back. Personally, I don't like co-washing. Shampooing works best for me. I need my scalp to be clean. It works fine for some people, but not others and that's okay. Our hair responds to things differently.

Putting in braid extensions isn't difficult. There're different techniques. Some people cut the extension (that you will use to braid) into three, part their own hair that they will braid and add that part to one of the extensions strands, making sure their hand is as close to the scalp as possible. Other people start off by cornrowing the hair from the roots and then braiding up from there, while others just fold the extension into two, wrap it around their hair (again, making sure the hand is as close to the scalp as possible, this's creates a firm hold) and use their own hair as the third strand and just braid upwards from there. There's one more that I know off too, but it's more time-consuming and mainly for people who just have trouble getting a firm hold. I've tried all four when I started braiding, but now I just stick to the third technique. They probably sound difficult the way I explained them, but they're simple. It just takes practice. There're youtube videos that teach how to braid, so you can just look them up.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 05, 2013
Rify: Oh very nice thread. I had my last perm in sept 2012 too. One of the beat decisions I have taken for my hair yea? I know.

www.naturalrify.

cool you stopped perming around the time i did. I like how you said "I haven't startd rocking my hair really, still transitioning. Wigs, braids trying to get to work with my natural."

when i first started i completely avoided EVERYTHING including weave. Hell, i even chastised other natural women who wore extensions grin. But what I have come to realize is that the "guilt" and resentment for weave I felt initially is quite common. Many women who transition begin to feel bad about their past habits (esp. if they are also on a spiritual journey) and then believe going natural means to let go of EVERYTHING. Unless that is the intention, it's not necessary. You can still wear hair pieces, weaves, as well as wigs and still be natural.

The issue is remembering not to neglect your natural hair. wink And to invest as much time and care necessary to keep it healthy without using relaxers of any kind!! Right now I am going on day two of getting my hair braided tongue (small single braids are beautiful but time consuming!!!) and this will be my second time in a year. My hair is still at it's natural state plus it will help protect my hair from me grin as I just so happen to be a habitual hair manipulator..as in i often touch, brush and comb my hair..BIG NO! NO! cool smiley

Anyway, enough with the preaching! I am happy you've decided to jump the "perm ship" and joined us natural sisters. It really is liberating on so many levels!! cool I do look forward to following your complete transition/hair journey!!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 05, 2013
kandiikane: Here are Photos since I last shaved my hair. It's grown but my hair grows inwards making the hair look dense instead of outwards to make it look longer. Anyway, at first glance someone would think it hasn't grown much but it has, the length's just hiding underneath. smiley
I have literally gone overboard with the 'less is more' by completely neglecting my hair. Can't remember when I laast shampooed and conditioned it and creamed it-i mean the whole shibam. LAWD have mercy!! Thank God for wigcaps. grin

Luckily for me, my hair is soft so it's not dry even though I have not conditioned or creamed it in a while. Just get bits of strands on the side that can get dry. Probably because I sleep on it.

Erm, can someone recommend a good cream that's not oily based. Oil products just sit on my hair doing nothing.

try Cantu Shea Butter. I PROMISE you will love it!!! I guarantee it!
It's lightweight, smells good and once applied not only would it not clog your hair but it makes it much easier to comb through or style. smiley It's not in the least bit oily in fact once it is properly distributed in your hair you won't even notice it.

my coworker recommended it to me two/three months ago and I haven't looked back!! cool
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rify(f): 3:34pm On May 06, 2013
Yield:

Nice blog. I co-washed back when I first BCed and it was aiight. I didn't care too much for it, but just stuck with it to see how it would fare. As my hair got longer I didn't think it was giving me that clean feeling I needed on my scalp, so I stopped and have never looked back. Personally, I don't like co-washing. Shampooing works best for me. I need my scalp to be clean. It works fine for some people, but not others and that's okay. Our hair responds to things differently.

Putting in braid extensions isn't difficult. There're different techniques. Some people cut the extension (that you will use to braid) into three, part their own hair that they will braid and add that part to one of the extensions strands, making sure their hand is as close to the scalp as possible. Other people start off by cornrowing the hair from the roots and then braiding up from there, while others just fold the extension into two, wrap it around their hair (again, making sure the hand is as close to the scalp as possible, this's creates a firm hold) and use their own hair as the third strand and just braid upwards from there. There's one more that I know off too, but it's more time-consuming and mainly for people who just have trouble getting a firm hold. I've tried all four when I started braiding, but now I just stick to the third technique. They probably sound difficult the way I explained them, but they're simple. It just takes practice. There're youtube videos that teach how to braid, so you can just look them up.

Thank you for stopping by. Am nt really down with the hair type ish but from I have seen and read I think I may b a 4b. My hair loves moisture and alk the oil to make it really soft. Co-washing doesnt clean my scalp properly and it itches terribly afterwards. Yea, just like you am sticking to shampooing. Lol

I have seen some of these videos on YouTube about putting your extensions yourself, they look pretty easy and makes me want to try it. The way you explained it sounds quite fine especially the part you talked about bending the extension in two and using your hair as the 3rd strand. Nice.
My fear is completing it actually.i think i can do the front but might have a problem braiding the middle and the back and eventually run back to the salon. Lol. Ibso want to try it. Pheeew!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rify(f): 3:34pm On May 06, 2013
Yield:

Thank you for stopping by. Am nt really down with the hair type ish but from I have seen and read I think I may b a 4b. My hair loves moisture and alk the oil to make it really soft. Co-washing doesnt clean my scalp properly and it itches terribly afterwards. Yea, just like you am sticking to shampooing. Lol

I have seen some of these videos on YouTube about putting your extensions yourself, they look pretty easy and makes me want to try it. The way you explained it sounds quite fine especially the part you talked about bending the extension in two and using your hair as the 3rd strand. Nice.
My fear is completing it actually.i think i can do the front but might have a problem braiding the middle and the back and eventually run back to the salon. Lol. Ibso want to try it. Pheeew!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rify(f): 3:45pm On May 06, 2013
*Kails*:

cool you stopped perming around the time i did. I like how you said "I haven't startd rocking my hair really, still transitioning. Wigs, braids trying to get to work with my natural."

when i first started i completely avoided EVERYTHING including weave. Hell, i even chastised other natural women who wore extensions grin. But what I have come to realize is that the "guilt" and resentment for weave I felt initially is quite common. Many women who transition begin to feel bad about their past habits (esp. if they are also on a spiritual journey) and then believe going natural means to let go of EVERYTHING. Unless that is the intention, it's not necessary. You can still wear hair pieces, weaves, as well as wigs and still be natural.

The issue is remembering not to neglect your natural hair. wink And to invest as much time and care necessary to keep it healthy without using relaxers of any kind!! Right now I am going on day two of getting my hair braided tongue (small single braids are beautiful but time consuming!!!) and this will be my second time in a year. My hair is still at it's natural state plus it will help protect my hair from me grin as I just so happen to be a habitual hair manipulator..as in i often touch, brush and comb my hair..BIG NO! NO! cool smiley

Anyway, enough with the preaching! I am happy you've decided to jump the "perm ship" and joined us natural sisters. It really is liberating on so many levels!! cool I do look forward to following your complete transition/hair journey!!

Thank you *kails* as you follow my hair journey.I personally prefer wigs now just because weaves wont let me moisturize my hair as much as I want to. Its realky so liberating and I love the whole time I put in this process thats the amazing thing.i currently do have wig on now but wld do a sew in or stick to my braids. People keep asking "so when are you going natural"? And am like ... am doing that already, it sholudnt stip me from looking fly if I have to.I just don't put chemicals or use heat and all that on my hair anymore while I still take care of my hair.
Lol.. I could be like you sometimes. I touch my hair a lot, brush etc which is soooo not good. Am getting over that though. grin

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 06, 2013
Rify:

Thank you *kails* as you follow my hair journey.I personally prefer wigs now just because weaves wont let me moisturize my hair as much as I want to. Its realky so liberating and I love the whole time I put in this process thats the amazing thing.i currently do have wig on now but wld do a sew in or stick to my braids. People keep asking "so when are you going natural"? And am like ... am doing that already, it sholudnt stip me from looking fly if I have to.I just don't put chemicals or use heat and all that on my hair anymore while I still take care of my hair.

Lol.. I could be like you sometimes. I touch my hair a lot, brush etc which is soooo not good. Am getting over that though. grin

I agree with you.
going natural is the best decision I have made in a long time..perms kinda disgust me now lol. Hopefully you're wigs/extensions will curve your habit of touching your hair because believe it or not, nothing stops black hair from growing but our bad habits - touching, not wrapping, washing too much, and pulling!! wink smiley

anyway, no pressure but if possible could you post some pix of your progress? smiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 06, 2013
i am obsessed with what i call twist hawks!! grin kiss kiss

[img]http://1.bp..com/-VI_6ksT-pPE/T8uaJPKg4SI/AAAAAAAAANQ/f6jEp-_WpAI/s1600/salon-tajishabu-model-chassity-cornrows1.jpg[/img]

ONE OF THESE DAYS!!
i shall rock 'em!! cool
#patience
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 06, 2013
I think the 'hawks are cute, but with shorter hair. Im not a fan of the big mess on the top with longer hairs undecided

But thats just my opinion kiss
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rify(f): 5:38pm On May 07, 2013
*Kails*:

I agree with you.
going natural is the best decision I have made in a long time..perms kinda disgust me now lol. Hopefully you're wigs/extensions will curve your habit of touching your hair because believe it or not, nothing stops black hair from growing but our bad habits - touching, not wrapping, washing too much, and pulling!! wink smiley

anyway, no pressure but if possible could you post some pix of your progress? smiley

Yea. Sure I would. I am going to BC after a year which would be in Sept. Am always in protective but would you.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 07, 2013
*Kails*:
try Cantu Shea Butter. I PROMISE you will love it!!! I guarantee it!
It's lightweight, smells good and once applied not only would it not clog your hair but it makes it much easier to comb through or style. smiley It's not in the least bit oily in fact once it is properly distributed in your hair you won't even notice it.

my coworker recommended it to me two/three months ago and I haven't looked back!! cool

[size=13pt]Heyyyy! That's my leave-in!! Lmao. I loooooove it. One of the best products I own.

Kails, how far with your natural hair? Completely natural or still transitioning? I'm too lazy to read the whole thread sad[/size]

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 5:49pm On May 07, 2013
Aha, I guess I will try it then.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 9:47am On May 09, 2013
If only Cantu leave in didn't have propylene Glycol in it undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 2:44pm On May 13, 2013
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.