Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (341294 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Azmarie(f): 1:52am On Jul 17, 2013
kandiikane: I recently got braids for the first time to help with the growth since shaving my hair off and got this dude come up to me saying it's scaring him. He said it looks like snakes. grin

Hehehe grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Imsovain(f): 1:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
Thanks for the inspirational thread. We're just starting, but have some beautiful naturals over 40 on http://www.naturalover40.com
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Gotta get this for my daughter
Love those dolls. When I have kids (daughters), I would totally get them black dolls. We need more black dolls in the market. Love their hair, big eyes and cheeks. You would never find a white doll with cheeks. undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
lepasharon: grin
Lmao
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by JallowBah(f): 7:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Yield: Love those dolls. When I have kids (daughters), I would totally get them black dolls. We need more black dolls in the market. Love their hair, big eyes and cheeks. You would never find a white doll with cheeks. undecided

You can find them with cheeks, but for me, it is about the kids having a doll t play with that LOOKS LIKE THEM.
Something they can relate to, and love. My daughter have one white, the black one in the picture, and one that actually looks mixed. She loves the mixed one more, probably because it looks more like her wink

That is one thing I will truly miss when she grows up; no aunties or grandma in the same country for her to look up to. I have african friends, african/scandinavian friends as well, but still..I wish she had an auntie to go spend they night at, cause lets face it; a white mama can`t teach a mixed child everything about actually being a black girl in the western world.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 25, 2013
I'm doing my big chop on Saturday after transitioning for 8 months, can't wait!
grin cool grin

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by BlackKenichi(m): 8:52am On Jul 26, 2013
Awesome hair!

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by ifeoma92(f): 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2013
Cori_corde: I'm doing my big chop on Saturday after transitioning for 8 months, can't wait!
grin cool grin
ride on sister! i BCd november 25th last year, it was a spontaneous thing and since then i've been rocking the natural look. i just wish we had some natural hair saloons in nigeria, it'll make things easier.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by aaanu: 8:52am On Jul 27, 2013
ifeoma92:
ride on sister! i BCd november 25th last year, it was a spontaneous thing and since then i've been rocking the natural look. i just wish we had some natural hair saloons in nigeria, it'll make things easier.
actually we have if u live in lagos then Amisha total concepts in Ogudu GRA is d place for oyu they have treatments for natural hair I went natural last year n they have bin superb so far a trial will convince u.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by ifeoma92(f): 10:17am On Jul 27, 2013
aaanu: actually we have if u live in lagos then Amisha total concepts in Ogudu GRA is d place for oyu they have treatments for natural hair I went natural last year n they have bin superb so far a trial will convince u.
wow thats great, though i stay in benin but now i'm hoping i get posted to lagos for my youth service that would mean a lot for my hair. thanks for the info :-)
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
*Kails*:

cool cool

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
Black Kenichi: Awesome hair!

cool cool

black women look soooo much better with our natural hair.
that my opinion btw... tongue
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
Old picture of a woman from Madagascar cool cool

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
I will be doing a post about the Science behind black hair smiley

but here is something interesting i found on wiki

Terminology[edit]

In many post-Columbian Western societies, adjectives such as "kinky", "nappy", "wooly," or "spiralled" have frequently been used to describe natural afro-textured hair. More recently, however, it has become common in some circles to apply numerical grading systems to human hair types. One particularly popular version of these systems describes afro-textured hair as being 'type 4' (as opposed to the straight type 1, wavy type 2, and curly type 3), with the subcategory of type 4C being most exemplary of this hair type (Walker, 1997). However, afro-textured hair is often difficult to categorize because of the many different variations it has from person to person. Those variations include pattern (coils, springs, zig zags, s-curves), pattern size (watch spring to chalk), density (sparse to dense), strand diameter (fine, medium, wide) and feel (cottony, wooly, spongy)

very interesting cool cool
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
Structure[edit]

There are differences across ethnicity in the structure, density, and growth rate of hair. With regards to structure, all human hair has the same basic chemical composition in terms of keratin protein content.[6] However, Franbourg et al. have found that Black hair may differ in the distribution of lipids throughout the hair shaft.[6] Afro-texture hair was not as densely concentrated as other phenotypes.[1] Specifically, the average density of Afro-textured hair was found to be approximately 190 hairs per square centimeter. This was significantly lower than that of Caucasian hair, which, on average, produces approximately 227 hairs per square centimeter.[1]
Further, Loussourarn found that Afro-textured hair grows at an average rate of approximately 256 micrometers per day, while Caucasian hair grows at approximately 396 micrometers per day.
[1][7]

In addition, due to a phenomenon called 'shrinkage', Afro-textured hair that is a given length when stretched straight can appear much shorter when allowed to naturally coil upon itself.[8] Shrinkage is most evident when Afro-hair is (or has recently been) wet.

A hair's shape is never completely circular. The cross-section of a hair is an ellipse which can tend towards a circle or be distinctly flattened. Asiatic heads of straight hair are formed from almost-round hairs and Caucasian hair's cross sections form oval shapes. Afro-textured hair has a flattened cross-section and is finer, and its ringlets can form tight circles with diameters of only a few millimeters. Asiatic hair can be observed as being the most common [size=18pt]while Afro-textured hair is the most uncommon.[/size][9]

[size=38pt]^^ OUR HAIR IS UNIQUE!!
EMBRACE IT!!!!!![/size] cool

Afro-textured hair strands can also possess "torsion twists", where the hair strand turns around itself. This can be felt as a permanent crimp. The simplest analogy would be the wringing of a cloth where you turn one side clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. These torsion twists may prevent the hair strands from "clumping" together into curls, instead separating them and allowing them to have a fluffier, more undefined look.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-8Ft44TgUC2Q/TiAL5sD5ArI/AAAAAAAAAS0/Xgnb0D7OKQU/s400/Afro%2BHawk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1220974_iloveit_jpgb7f4c3cedf20eecbc94ae9c2da27d064[/img]
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MrsChima(f): 4:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
White women hair rocks! grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
SHUT UP THERE! grin grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
I'm tired of breaking combs Kails. cry

Any detangling advice? Coconut oil barely helps.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MrsChima(f): 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2013
I have my authentic hair and has been chemical free for years. My hair is poly-blend because of my heritage however I can wash hair and oil it without needing pressing comb.

I have a good grade of hair as a non-white woman. Yes good hair isn't a white person thing.

Black women need to be taught how to care for their hair using right products and maintain it.

A white man asked me where he can get my hair from and his wife is black. I said from a place call hair follicles.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 27, 2013
What constitutes as good hair or a good grade of hair?

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
ogugua88: I'm tired of breaking combs Kails. cry

Any detangling advice? Coconut oil barely helps.

grin grin grin

aside from using cantu shea butter with wide tooth combs
and some oils idk sis. undecided

i will see if i can find some videos for you.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 27, 2013
finger detanglng method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDIlfCpRyTk

detangle while in shower using wide tooth comb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0Omsq9pnM

*her intro is long so skip to 0:54 tongue
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2013
different Options for detangling hair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbad4NExC1c

Natural Hair Detangling without Breakage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYE3vu_l8g

taken from her description section:

Quickly Detangle Natural Hair without Breakage, Remove Single Strand Knots without Breakage How to Detangle Natural Hair Without Breakage
Today I wanted to share how detangle my hair. So far so good with this method. Detangling is a lot easier and not as dreaded as it used to be. I get minimal shedding when i use this method, although the hair will shed some which is natural. I also find that I have little to no breakage when I take my time and detangle using this method. If your hair is damaged or brittle you may want to try a protien treatment or use some coconut oil to help strenghten it.

If you have any tips on detangling please share or post a video response. Everybody's got their own way. I just thought I'd share mine.

Enjoy your day and I'll see you soon!

BTW That's not dirt on the comb just conditioner from my daughters detangling. I promise. lol

xoxoxo,
Rachelle
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 27, 2013
here is the url and an entire playlist about detangling natural hair smiley

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73569480BA1C3FFD

i seriously dont understand how anyone would or could detangle their hair dry grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MrsChima(f): 7:08pm On Jul 27, 2013
ogugua88: What constitutes as good hair or a good grade of hair?

Hair that is not bad. undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MrsChima(f): 7:11pm On Jul 27, 2013
Olive Cream Hair pudding is good for detangling hair.

Keratin Cream with wet hair is good for detangling.

Homemade hair conditioner is better for kinky hair.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 28, 2013
I use lots of conditioner... (not even leave in specific) .. and finger comb for my girl.. Its the only way I can do it.. I also have a very sturdy "detangling" comb but I cant get it thru until Ive fingered combed most of the tangles out.. Also.. I have a tangle teaser brush.. I was very skeptical about it for her hair because of the type but it claimed to work on all hair types.. After I tried it I found I prefer it for her hair rather than my white girl hair undecided

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 28, 2013
*Kails*:

cool cool

black women look soooo much better with our natural hair.
that my opinion btw... tongue

Yes we do wink
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:21am On Jul 28, 2013
SniperInADiaper: I use lots of conditioner... (not even leave in specific) .. and finger comb for my girl.. Its the only way I can do it.. I also have a very sturdy "detangling" comb but I cant get it thru until Ive fingered combed most of the tangles out.. Also.. I have a tangle teaser brush.. I was very skeptical about it for her hair because of the type but it claimed to work on all hair types.. After I tried it I found I prefer it for her hair rather than my white girl hair undecided

She so cute.. I never use combs, i put some conditioner and finger detangle my hair, minimise split ends and breakage.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:05am On Jul 28, 2013
Finger detangling takes me a million years. cry

That's one thing I miss about being all relaxed. Detangling was always a breeze.

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. Kails, I'll make sure to go through those videos. smiley Anything to reduce detangling time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.