Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,026 members, 7,838,576 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ (18950 Views)

South-East Will Get Additional State Before Any Other Zone – Jonathan / General Buhari Did Not Buy A Single Rifle For Military As Head Of State – GEJ / Jonathan Set To proclaim Additional State In South-east. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by FSU: 4:56pm On Sep 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Did you not see the part where he said "Ika, a dialect of Igbo"
Please ask him if he is Igbo. Ask those who speak Igbo yet claim they are not Igbo, what they are grin grin
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by olisaokere(m): 5:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
duality:

are you from anioma? you seem so interested in its creation. and why do you want it in the south east.is it because of their language. i think the aniomas have mixed culture looking at it holistically.

@duality,I am from Aniocha South in delta state and with Culture and language anioma should be added to the South East.What you could see in western igbo(anioma)region is a bit borrowed culture from the neighbouring south south state.Thank you
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
FSU:
Please ask him if he is Igbo. Ask those who speak Igbo yet claim they are not Igbo, what they are grin grin

The situation of Anioma people is quite similar to that of the Yoruba-speaking people of Kwara and Kogi states. We are sort of an internal irredenta, linguistically and culturally part of one region but politically a part of another.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Afam4eva(m): 5:12pm On Sep 13, 2012
HNosegbe:

The situation of Anioma people is quite similar to that of the Yoruba-speaking people of Kwara and Kogi states. We are sort of an internal irredenta, linguistically and culturally part of one region but politically a part of another.
You're right. Anioma people are culturally and linguistically Igbo but don't necessarily have to agree with the entire Igbo race politically. But if i may ask, does the south-south have a political ideology that's different from that of the south-east?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ignis: 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
afam4eva:
You're right. Anioma people are culturally and linguistically Igbo but don't necessarily have to agree with the entire Igbo race politically. But if i may ask, does the south-south have a political ideology that's different from that of the south-east?
Sure.... Completely different
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 13, 2012
Well I don't know if anyone in Nigeria has a political ideology.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ChinenyeN(m): 8:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
Did someone say that Igbo people should unanimously agitate for Anioma? grin
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by OldWizard1: 9:18pm On Sep 13, 2012
Igbo should forget new state. We ll not approve it. Full stop.

The Western Region has been balkanised to -8 states(Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Ekiti, Edo, Delta plus Lagos former capital) and Eastern Region-9 states(Enugu, Ebonyi, Abia,Anambra, Imo, Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River).If any, the Western Region should be clamoring for one more state and not the Eastern Region?

And for On shore/ off shore dichotomy, GEJ presidency expires in 2015 and with it does the dichotomy.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by FSU: 11:17pm On Sep 13, 2012
Old Wizard: Igbo should forget new state. We ll not approve it. Full stop.

The Western Region has been balkanised to -8 states(Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Ekiti, Edo, Delta plus Lagos former capital) and Eastern Region-9 states(Enugu, Ebonyi, Abia,Anambra, Imo, Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River).If any, the Western Region should be clamoring for one more state and not the Eastern Region?

And for On shore/ off shore dichotomy, GEJ presidency expires in 2015 and with it does the dichotomy.

Please delete Edo and Delta from your calculation. They left your region long time ago. Ever heard of the term Mid western region?

As for you not approving a state for the Igbo, who the effing hell are you?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by FSU: 11:19pm On Sep 13, 2012
HNosegbe:

Okay!! Let me stop beating about the bush and ask you pointedly. To which ethnic group do you belong and what language do you speak? I mean you, personally.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ezeagu(m): 2:34am On Sep 14, 2012
FSU:

Thanks, however you answered one-half of the question. The other one-half you did not answer: which ethnic group is Ika? Is there an ethnic group called Ika in Nigeria or do they belong to a larger ethnic group?

Keep in mind there are only 22 thousand Ika people according to available information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ika_language_%28Nigeria%29

It depends on who you ask, most will loosely identify with Igbo (many Ika fought in the Biafran Army), others wouldn't. The problem is, the ones who don't identify as Igbo are the most vocal and belligerent. Why is it a problem that they do not want to identify as Igbo? Well first of all, they can be whatever they like, but they usually make blanket statements that imply every Ika person is against an Igbo identity (these people are usually anti-eastern-Igbo and hurl insults and derogatory stereotypes), they also ignore the fact that Nigeria, and the rest of Delta State in particular, view all of the Igboid speaking peoples west of the Niger as Igbo, and deal with them accordingly.

As to what makes them Igbo, their culture is Nri-Oka based, with other Igbo influences, and their language is at least 60% Igboid.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by OneNaira6: 4:28am On Sep 14, 2012
afam4eva:
I also want to know.

Anioma should just be created and added to the south-east. Chikena.

About my favorite post on this thread so far. I support the anioma state creation and i wouldn't mind if that is the new state SE get.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by OneNaira6: 6:13am On Sep 14, 2012
ChinenyeN: Did someone say that Igbo people should unanimously agitate for Anioma? grin

First question: what is wrong with that?
Second question: what is so funny about it?
Third question: do you or do you not agree with it?
Last question: Ever since I've been on NL, anytime i read a post from you concerning delta igbo, it always comes of negative therefore i ask what did anioma ever do to you? Why do you dislike us so?

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 14, 2012
FSU, I speak Ika.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 8:08am On Sep 14, 2012
PointB:

Impossibility is defeatist. And it is only those who don't think out the box that tout that term these days! How did your hausa master sign up to the Onshore - Offshore derivative principle? How did GEJ, a minority, become President, how was Obj edged out of PDP? Dude, leave these talks of 'impossibility' to thugs and area boys! If there is one thing we all know, it is that, in Nigeria every is possible, it only take time! I won't be shocked if the two states ends up in the SE.

Besides, we SE can get the new state(s) and still get the constitution review achieved for equity. This is Nigeria!

The process of accepting the derivative principle can not be compared to creating states. All the politicking in achieving this probably didnt leave Abuja. It didnt involves IMO going so all state assemblies where majority is required. Besides, the kind of grasp OBJ had on the NASS and abuja generally then cant be compared to what is applicable today which is loose and weak. its wrong to compare the both.
below is the process in achieving states creation and i insist that under this present system and structure its near to imposibility.
OBJ may no longer be the BOT chair of the killer party but it will be wrong for u to conclude that he has been edged out. He is still influetial inside there no doubt.

An Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of creating a new State shall only be passed if-

(a) a request, supported by at least two-thirds majority of members (representing the area demanding the creation of the new State) in each of the following, namely -

(i) the Senate and the House of Representatives,

(ii) the House of Assembly in respect of the area, and

(iii) the local government councils in respect of the area,

is received by the National Assembly;

(b) a proposal for the creation of the State is thereafter approved in a referendum by at least two-thirds majority of the people of the area where the demand for creation of the State originated;

(c) the result of the referendum is then approved by a simple majority of all the States of the Federation supported by a simple majority of members of the Houses of Assembly; and

(d) the proposal is approved by a resolution passed by two-thirds majority of members of each House of the National Assembly.

Besides, when u are doing ur calculation for simple majority, count out the whole south west support. I have this feeling (i could be wrong)that Tinubu may play his card here. Ur refusal to approve Lagos new Local government despite going through all that needs to be done in achieving it. If he plays this card, i will surely support it.

Secondly, i dont think the middle belt will support because they themselves desire such seriously. With the cold war going on between SS and SE, it could go anywhere and for the north, dont even think about it.
U now tell me where the majority will come from when we dont have a leader as imposing like OBJ who may even blackmail in making sure his desires comes to past. I will like us to face reality here. U dont sit down in Abuja promising that states will be created. Its impossible.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 8:16am On Sep 14, 2012
Taking another critical look at this state creation move, I would like to lend my voice to the clamour for Anioma State! Anioma State is not only viable, but the Aniomans seem to have done more groundwork and sensitisation. So personally, I'll go for Anioma, and as far as Igbanke (if they so desire to be part of Anioma State). Anioma State can retain Asaba as their Capital, but I would rather Agbor, or another rising city, for even development. Asaba can thus be a commercial capital.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 8:45am On Sep 14, 2012
@Demdem, the problem with your analysis is the fixation with the current practice. You seem to base your argument on the premises that things will not change! But you forget quite easily that the state creation will be part of the constitution amendment. As such obstacles will be eased out, slowly but surely. In any case the vulture is a patient bird!

And why are you bringing Tinubu into this matter, I thought you lots argued he is a private citizen? Is he a private citizen when you desire, and powerful politician when it suits you? Guy, careful, you are edging closer to your boss, AC.N laptop #1, in hypocrisy!

Anyway, I'll let you into something you so called intelligentsia often fail to understand about Tinubu. Tinubu's past and present makes him very susceptible to blackmail, that is why he is left to roam around. You count on him at your own peril, if in doubt ask Ribadu. Obj is overrated, in reach and influence! Exactly who rely on him these days? Pray, say!

The cold war between SS and SE, I suppose is a figment of your imagination, guy SE/SS have never been more united; and seeing the benefit of the unity, it can on continue on a roll!

As for the middle belt, I doubt you qualify to talk for them. They certainly know what they want, and can articulate it!

SW, will have to choose it friends wisely, as every region is finding the region unreliable as partner, time is running out!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:10am On Sep 14, 2012
PointB: @Demdem, the problem with your analysis is the fixation with the current practice. You seem to base your argument on the premises that things will not change! But you forget quite easily that the state creation will be part of the constitution amendment. As such obstacles will be eased out, slowly but surely. In any case the vulture is a patient bird!

We obviously need a lawyer at this juncture. There are some things NASS simply cant amend in the constitution. it will involve going through all the states before it can be ratified. This issue falls into such. if u base ur hope on the basis that this constitutional process of creating states will have to change before u get ur states then u are basically saying that u want it to be re-written which the advocates of SNC are really calling for.

And why are you bringing Tinubu into this matter, I thought you lots argued he is a private citizen? Is he a private citizen when you desire, and powerful politician when it suits you? Guy, careful, you are edging closer to your boss, AC.N laptop #1, in hypocrisy!

Tinubu being undoubtedly influential person politically especially in the SW region doesnt change the fact that he is a private citizen. He is his party's cheiftain and can influence policies within the party. hate him or love him, his support will be needed to influence the ACN SW assemblies in acheiving ur aim. Ignore it to ur peril

Anyway, I'll let you into something you so called intelligentsia often fail to understand about Tinubu. Tinubu's past and present makes him very susceptible to blackmail, that is why he is left to roam around. You count on him at your own peril, if in doubt ask Ribadu. Obj is overrated, in reach and influence! Exactly who rely on him these days? Pray, say!

exactly my only issue with ur kind. peddling words u will claim as facts but when called upon to substantiate, u go cold. ur allegation against Tinubu has no basis. wont want us to dwell on that on this thread though. its diversionary.
Obj may be overrated but like i said earlier, he is still influential even within the killer party.

The cold war between SS and SE, I suppose is a figment of your imagination, guy SE/SS have never been more united; and seeing the benefit of the unity, it can on continue on a roll!

u think so grin grin grin Anyway, i have been residing in the SS region for close to a decade now till date and in all honesty i know what i am talking about. Ur best chances still remain with the SS people though no matter what.

As for the middle belt, I doubt you qualify to talk for them. They certainly know what they want, and can articulate it!

U certainly dont know what they want and where there votes will lie. Thats a fact. what we all know is what we hear them say which i also echoed which is their desire also to have another state of theirs (of cos they also have their own good reasons). u tell me why they will sacrifice theirs for urs?

SW, will have to choose it friends wisely, as every region is finding the region unreliable as partner, time is running out!

Majority of SW has decided what they want which is against what u desire which is to be with ACN and of cos Tinubu comes to the picture again much to ur hate. i only gave u a taste of what to expect. they are basically asking all other regions to go ffuck off with PDP grin they dont give a damn about what other regions think of them as long as they are forging ahead. and surely they are.

Its good to know that u are not even thinking of any support from the north for ur new state, at least we both agree on that. U tell me where the majority will come from now cool
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 9:20am On Sep 14, 2012
^^^
Basically, you stuck to your guns. For my reply, re-read what I wrote earlier. This time slowly!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:22am On Sep 14, 2012
PointB: @Demdem, the problem with your analysis is the fixation with the current practice. You seem to base your argument on the premises that things will not change! But you forget quite easily that the state creation will be part of the constitution amendment. As such obstacles will be eased out, slowly but surely. In any case the vulture is a patient bird!

Demdem: We obviously need a lawyer at this juncture. There are some things NASS simply cant amend in the constitution. it will involve going through all the states before it can be ratified. This issue falls into such. if u base ur hope on the basis that this constitutional process of creating states will have to change before u get ur states then u are basically saying that u want it to be re-written which the advocates of SNC are really calling for.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:24am On Sep 14, 2012
PointB: ^^^
Basically, you stuck to your guns. For my reply, re-read what I wrote earlier. This time slowly!

Done cool
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ChinenyeN(m): 1:06pm On Sep 14, 2012
One_Naira:
First question: what is wrong with that?
Second question: what is so funny about it?
Third question: do you or do you not agree with it?
Last question: Ever since I've been on NL, anytime i read a post from you concerning delta igbo, it always comes of negative therefore i ask what did anioma ever do to you? Why do you dislike us so?

First Response: There's nothing wrong with it. I just found it so funny.
Second Response: It's funny that the poster of the comment wrote it with such conviction, despite the fact that most Igbo could care less about Anioma state.
Third Response: I neither agree nor disagree. It's not my concern.
Last Response: Who said I dislike you people? Granted, I do find your community annoying (or members of your community, depending on how you want to look at it), but other than that, I'm rather neutral and apathetic to you all and your situation.

It's good that you decided to ask direct questions, rather than proceeding to develop assumptions about my reasoning.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by erico2k2(m): 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2012
Niseamaka:

Are you sure you`re okay?.

GO back to secondary school and read your History and site where Civilians created states then come back and tell me amongst both of us who is OK
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Touchforfree(m): 3:10am On Sep 16, 2012
This GEJ sef and his policies, there are pressing issues in the country un-attended to; Issues like insecurity, energy problem, health, decay of our education standards, inflation and lots which disturb the growth of the economy. All what he is looking at are issues of creating #5,000 Note, creation of more states, his 3rd term agenda. What a mess are we in d country !!!!!!!!!!.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by cjrane: 3:58am On Sep 16, 2012
Balancing the federation is a good way to begin solving our structural imbalance problems in Nigeria. But,i believe the best federating unit would be the six geopolitical zones.

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by bigfrancis21: 6:48pm On Sep 17, 2012
REALIKUKU: Please accept this revelation, the the new state will be called Uransi state and all the five state will donate some LGA,eg Abia will give Isikweatu and Umuneochi, Anambra will give Orumba north and south.Enugu will give Udi and Nkanu,Eboyi will give isiagu and ivo while imo will give Ideato north and south, osu ,nwangele, uguta, oru west nkwere. men this is a nice combination

Choi!! What a wosky remix of Igbo dialects. The igbo language will not be a uniform one. Choi. And where's the capital going to be?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
ChinenyeN:

First Response: There's nothing wrong with it. I just found it so funny.
Second Response: It's funny that the poster of the comment wrote it with such conviction, despite the fact that most Igbo could care less about Anioma state.
Third Response: I neither agree nor disagree. It's not my concern.
Last Response: Who said I dislike you people? Granted, I do find your community annoying (or members of your community, depending on how you want to look at it), but other than that, I'm rather neutral and apathetic to you all and your situation.

It's good that you decided to ask direct questions, rather than proceeding to develop assumptions about my reasoning.
why are they annoying
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ChinenyeN(m): 1:00am On Sep 19, 2012
centje: why are they annoying
They are annoying to me, because they're petty with their Igbo denial.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by norabenok: 12:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
Old East Central state that gave rise to present Southeast zone was first divided into Imo and Anambra states in 1976. The two states got further divided: Imo state became Abia and present Imo states. Anambra state became Enugu and present Anambra states. The last and fifth state in the southeast, Ebonyi, was carved from Abia and Enugu states. So the next and sixth state must be carved from Imo and Anambra states. Njaba/Orlu state, whichever name it is called, needs to be the next and sixth state in the southeast area. The southeast is asking for sixth state for the sake of equity and justice. No other delineation pattern must be devised when carving a sixth state for the southeast except the usuall pattern, else, inequity and injustice lingers after the new state is created.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by agbotaen: 12:24pm On Nov 26, 2012
how many ika people fought for biafra ? or are not confussing aniocha and oshimili for ika ?
the known ika person that fought for biafra was a relative of mine called anuku ,but i can give you a long list of ika people that fought for nigeria army and the fact that majority of ika people rejected being igbo and did not support biafra.
2. some yoruba fought for biafra but the majority of yoruba rejected biafra, that is same for ika people too
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ikeyman00(m): 1:14pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^^ are u from there?

all these ur anger self

hmmm seen fishy lipsrsealed
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Sealeddeal(m): 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2012
SE need atleast one state for sake of equity.the state will be from present SE region.i dont see th reason why Anioma state will be created and added to SE whereby,Anioma is ,presently part of SS region.we need a state that will be carved out of the present SE region.Anioma state could be created but it should remain part of SS region and in such case,SE will get two states and other region with states less than 7 will be given one more state for the sake of equity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2023: Tinubu Denies Link With Poster Comparing Him To Jesus, Osinbajo As Judas / MASSOB Knocks FG Over Eastern Railway Project Cancellation / Century Power Begins 2000mw Power Plant Construction In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.