Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,675 members, 7,837,490 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ (18948 Views)

South-East Will Get Additional State Before Any Other Zone – Jonathan / General Buhari Did Not Buy A Single Rifle For Military As Head Of State – GEJ / Jonathan Set To proclaim Additional State In South-east. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by estyvino(m): 5:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
The Governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sullivan Chime,
has reiterated the commitment of his government
and the people of the state to the creation of
Adada State out of the present Enugu state.
Chime who made this known Monday on the
occasion of the Public Hearing of the Senate
Committee on the Review of the 1999
Constitution stated that the zonal public hearing,
without doubt, is the Senate’s solemn
commitment to engage the participation of
Nigerians in the proposed alteration of the
provisions of the 1999 Nigerian Constitution.
According to him, the beauty of every country’s
constitution is that though it guides the
behaviours and directs the actions of the
citizenry, certain provisions of it could be
changed when the need arises in order to reflect
contemporary concerns and challenges of each
distinct society.
“As a people, we feel deep in our hearts that the
time has come for such an exercise.”
Governor Chime, therefore, commended the
Senate under the leadership of Senator David
Mark, and the entire National Assembly for
understanding the pulse of Nigerians, pointing
out that it would be to their eternal credit, both
individually and collectively, if they could, for the
benefit of all Nigerians, change certain provisions
of the constitution that deserved to be altered.
Governor Chime made It clear that one demand
that is clear to the Government and people of
Enugu State is Adada State, pointing out that
there could be other agitations for new states
from different zones and places but none
compares to Adada .
It is on record, he pointed out, that of all the old
provinces in the then Eastern Nigeria, “it is only
Nsukka province which constitutes the areas that
make up Adada State, that has not been
accorded state status. Besides, it is also the oldest
outstanding state creation agitation in Igboland.
It may also be important to recall that precisely
on March 16, 1983, the National Assembly moved
a motion in its order paper, calling for the
creation of Adada State.”
He further explained that there were subsequent
requests in 1996, 2005 among others, adding
that despite these past disappointments which
sometimes left the people of the state choking
with tears, “ we have borne no bitterness, malice
or hatred towqrds anybody, group or interests.
Focusing on the members of the Senate,
governor Chime went on to say, “I know that it is
not always an easy task but as committed
democrats that you are, the time has come for us
to prove to the entire world that our politicians
can also create states, certainly not by military
fiat but this time, by the consensus of all
Nigerians as represented in the National and
State Assemblies.”

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by gurujoe(m): 5:36pm On Sep 12, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]
If it's about land mass, then the North should have at least one hundred states. I also don't think Nsukka has a good population to be given their own state. Except they're merged with another town in another state. I also don't see any landmark of note in Nsukka except for the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.[/quote keep quiet if u dnt knw fact. Only Igbo eze north is equivalent 2 ekiti state in terms of populatn. U tink nsukka zone only comprises of unn n opi. Ewu Congo!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by toboy: 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2012
REALIKUKU: Please accept this revelation, the the new state will be called Uransi state and all the five state will donate some LGA,eg Abia will give Isikweatu and Umuneochi, Anambra will give Orumba north and south.Enugu will give Udi and Nkanu,Eboyi will give isiagu and ivo while imo will give Idiato north and south, osu ,nwangele, uguta, oru west nkwere. men this is a nice combination
enticing!!. but i think nsukka is more organized now for a new state. good colleges and secondary schools, federal college of education, the reputable bishop shanahan teaching hospital, shcool of nursing , the one and only Federal Uiversity of Nigeria Nsukka, Ogige Main Market Nsukka, paddy oil company, kenol paharmaceutical industry,Adada River, newly discovered oil well in uzo uwani and eha-ndi agu,nice hotels both in Obolo town(the hilly Grace Manor Hotel, ikenga hotel, Millipat, conis hotel, etc) with all commercial banks scattered both inside university of nigeria and the towns simultaneously, Police and Army barracks, and many more other minor edowment. i think the new state will definately suit nsukka.i am a student at UNN and putting sentiments aside the state should go to them!!

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by folahann(m): 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2012
Are trying to make us forget about the stupeed 5000 note by bringing up different news?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Noiseless2: 5:44pm On Sep 12, 2012
I wouldn't mind if my area URUMBA SOUTH & NORTH are removed from ANAMBRA STATE,in order to make alaigbo equal to others but they must make sure the name is Igbo and not English or any other language.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by MadCow1: 5:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mr Everest: I put it to you that indeed you are suffering from mad cow disease!

WOW!!!..Did you come to that conclusion all by yourself?!!

I guess you must be one of those invaluable human resources that Afam was talking about!! angry

APKA AMU!!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by cstan(m): 5:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
good one by GEJ..xpecially making the local governments an autonomy of them selves...i think is a very wise move...cos most of the masses that are seeking for dividends of democracy are mostly from the grass root and can only be reached through the local governments but the states government have refused them this benefits and most at times use the care taker commitee to embezzle funds...i think the idea of the state creation should come to aba...cos they gat all the desired qualities to stand as a state!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 12, 2012
adaifeoma: Which state are dey going to create d new one from(s/east) cos i love my state, esp now we have oil
lol, we're in the same shoes sis.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 12, 2012
I am Anioma... But I'm not sure I want to be called a South-Easterner. Make them no create abeg.

Left to me, states should even be merged sef.

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Afam4eva(m): 6:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
HNosegbe: I am Anioma... But I'm not sure I want to be called a South-Easterner. Make them no create abeg.

Left to me, states should even be merged sef.
What's wrong with being called a south-easterner? Are you not Igbo? Btw, what part of Anioma are you from?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by vanstanzy(m): 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
erico2k2: BIG FAT LIE, ONLY THE MILITARY CAN CREATE STATES

Its a great PITY u dont know what u r saying.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 6:33pm On Sep 12, 2012
Create Anioma State and add it to the Southeast and also add Rivers State to the Southeast. That gives the Southeast two additional states.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by joshuajo: 6:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mr man, where do you know at Nuskka, how many towns makes-up Nsukka?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Orblonde: 6:59pm On Sep 12, 2012
Carve out Igbo areas in the SS into a state (or two) and re-zone them to the SE and I will be sooooo happy. They will eventually get used to it, plus the SE will make some emipirical effort to appease them to make them feel welcome. That way I will all my people with me and we can truly be a nation at last. Nigeria will then just be an empty shell politically with no Igbo Abuja puppets leading us like sheeps leading lions.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Theblessed(f): 7:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
[size=18pt]Hmmm! At this rate soon, they will start to divide families for more State creation in this country - let's continue to watch this space. [/size]
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 7:33pm On Sep 12, 2012
aribisala0:
We are not talking about what is good or right or fair but REALITY.

What is actually going to happen. That is human nature. I'm afraid those who won the Civil War are "SENIOR" partners in this project and plucking at sentimental strings will not change that. Any correction of injustice will not happen through peaceful dialogue.
The North have a VETO on State Creation under our present constitution and they are happy with the status quo. They have 19 states and the south 17 = 57 senators to 51

WHY would they agree to any changes

With southerners like you, who need enemies? Rather than Southern folks to support the agitation of fellow southerners, folks like you are gloating over some imaginary VETO powers of the North. In anycase, despite the this and many obstacle, what will be will be. SE will not only get what they rightfully deserve, but they will continue to blaze the trail.

Nigeria, at 52 is still a very young nation. If Nigeria will live (as one) for 50 more years. A lot of things would certainly change, or agitation for change would cause serious upheaval, which the so-called victors will not be able to contain.

Bottomline, SE will get new state(s); SE will produce democratically elected presidents, get international airport, and whatever it is we want as people if this country remains one. If it doesn't, their is nothing to worry about. It is simply myopic to think the status quo will last forever! So you are right, if peaceful, change cannot be achieved, other options should always be on the deck!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 7:57pm On Sep 12, 2012
Orblonde: Carve out Igbo areas in the SS into a state (or two) and re-zone them to the SE and I will be sooooo happy. They will eventually get used to it, plus the SE will make some emipirical effort to appease them to make them feel welcome. That way I will all my people with me and we can truly be a nation at last. Nigeria will then just be an empty shell politically with no Igbo Abuja puppets leading us like sheeps leading lions.

Exactly. Anioma State must be created and added to the South-East. Also, since Rivers State is 90% Igbo, it should be added to South-East.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by nke001: 8:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
aribisala0:
We are not talking about what is good or right or fair but REALITY.

What is actually going to happen. That is human nature. I'm afraid those who won the Civil War are "SENIOR" partners in this project and plucking at sentimental strings will not change that. Any correction of injustice will not happen through peaceful dialogue.
The North have a VETO on State Creation under our present constitution and they are happy with the status quo. They have 19 states and the south 17 = 57 senators to 51

WHY would they agree to any changes

Think Social Engineering!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by skyflash(m): 8:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
marabout:

Anioma is not big enough to make a state. Except they carve a couple of LGAs accross the Niger and add to Anioma.

They should seriously consider Okun state and maybe one for the Beroms if only to stop the killings over there.

Overall many states are not robust enough. I wonder if merging some states is not even better.
Do that in the berom area and you will have world war 4 in your hands
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by aribisala0(m): 8:25pm On Sep 12, 2012
PointB:

With southerners like you, who need enemies? Rather than Southern folks to support the agitation of fellow southerners, folks like you are gloating over some imaginary VETO powers of the North. In anycase, despite the this and many obstacle, what will be will be. SE will not only get what they rightfully deserve, but they will continue to blaze the trail.

Nigeria, at 52 is still a very young nation. If Nigeria will live (as one) for 50 more years. A lot of things would certainly change, or agitation for change would cause serious upheaval, which the so-called victors will not be able to contain.

Bottomline, SE will get new state(s); SE will produce democratically elected presidents, get international airport, and whatever it is we want as people if this country remains one. If it doesn't, their is nothing to worry about. It is simply myopic to think the status quo will last forever! So you are right, if peaceful, change cannot be achieved, other options should always be on the deck!
I do not agree with the status quo or believe it will or indeed CAN last for ever. But creating new states will NOT HAPPEN by appealing to the HUMANITY of the "OPPRESSOR" or other sentimental claptrap. It is important to recognize the nihilist nature of whom we are dealing with and that is why the bravado of some past and present is amusing. First know your enemy is a dictum that testoterone filled champions of the past ignored. Hopefully some sagacity has been learnt since.
Creating new states will not solve the Nigerian problem. The whole structure of states is flawed and does not necessarily work for ALL Nigerians.

What needs to happen is to define UNITS of NIgeria that are equal to other UNITS in terms of how they relate at the CENTRE. THose units should decide HOW THEY wish to organize themselves. Some may choose states others LGA etc that should have no bearing on what occurs at the centre. So state creation is NOT the issue but something even more fundamental which eludes many here. The fact hat we can wake up in one part of the country and kill hundreds of others because of religion.ethnicity is a clear portent we are not a nation so why deceive ourselves with state creation.IS THAT THE ISSUE?

Regarding the talk of southerners supporting other southerners the structure is such that FOR YOU TO GET OTHERS MUST LOSE and man by nature is selfish.
If the situation was that state creation in the south doe not affect revenue allocation or national assembly representation who will care if you have a million states. So rather than deal with proxy issues let us negotiate this REVENUE AND NATIONAL ASSEMBLY REPRESENTATION once and for all. I Bet NIgeria will soon revert to 10 states.

WHY SHOULD NIGERIA HVE MORE STATES THAN INDIA??
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by ujukala: 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
Igbo ga adi o!

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Tropilo(m): 9:19pm On Sep 12, 2012
marabout:

Anioma is not big enough to make a state. Except they carve a couple of LGAs accross the Niger and add to Anioma.

They should seriously consider Okun state and maybe one for the Beroms if only to stop the killings over there.

Overall many states are not robust enough. I wonder if merging some states is not even better.

Anioma is part of Delta State which has 25 LGA's. Of this 25 LGA's the area referred to as Anioma has 13 of the 25 LGA's with a population of over 3.5million human inhabitants.
How many LGA's make up Edo State? What about Ebonyi? Not forgetting Kano State that has a "million" LGA's without humans, just land mass, cos besides Kano metropolis, the rest are basically farmsteds. So also Zamfara, Bauchi, Gombe, Katsina, Yobe, Jigawa etc.
Anioma area, has enough reasons to justify its agitation for autonomy, both in human and mineral resources.
Human Resources: Pat Utomi, Ngozi Okonjo Iwuala, Jim Ovia, Tony Elumelu, Nduka Obiagbona etc.
Natural Resources: Crude Oil, Bauxite, kaoline, Gold, Aluminum, Cooper etc.
Agricultural Produce:
Yam, Palm Oil, Cassava, All Cereals etc.
On the lighter side. When put in place it will be the state with the most reasonable name. ANIOMA: meaning: Beautiful, Luxurant land!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Tropilo(m): 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
marabout:

Anioma is part of Delta State which has 25 LGA's. Of this 25 LGA's the area referred to as Anioma has 13 of the 25 LGA's with a population of over 3.5million human inhabitants.
How many LGA's make up Edo State? What about Ebonyi? Not forgetting Kano State that has a "million" LGA's without humans, just land mass, cos besides Kano metropolis, the rest are basically farmsteds. So also Zamfara, Bauchi, Gombe, Katsina, Yobe, Jigawa etc.
Anioma area, has enough reasons to justify its agitation for autonomy, both in human and mineral resources.
Human Resources: Pat Utomi, Ngozi Okonjo Iwuala, Jim Ovia, Tony Elumelu, Nduka Obiagbona etc.
Agricultural Produce:
On the lighter side. When put in place it will be the state with the most reasonable name. ANIOMA: meaning: Beautiful, Luxurant land!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Tropilo(m): 9:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
marabout:

Agricultural Produce:

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
I prefer anioma state. But ike ekweremadu(the deputy senate president) is seriously pursuing creation of equity state which his basically on selfish interest. I hope ohanaeze will do away with all these selfish interests and make a wise decision. At the same time be courageous enough to attack any move by other regions to bring in 'divide and rule' tactics which they have been using to mess up south south and south east.

Creating two states means equity isnt achieved yet,but its still better than not creating at all.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by samkoro: 10:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
Demdem:

if i have my way, all states should be scrapped. read my last post. i dont want another additional entity that begs abuja every month as it is today.

Let there be equity in the begging so that when the time for scrapping comes,it will be equitably scrapped

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 12, 2012
samkoro:

Let there be equity in the begging so that when the time for scrapping comes,it will be equitably scrapped
cool
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by samkoro: 10:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mr Everest: Eze Nri biko wetuo obi, jiriya wayo, awughi mu onye mmai. Now why should we settle for one (Anioma state) when we can still have it by proxy and yet get an extra state? Dont get me wrong, all Igbos wether east or west of the niger are one and have equall right but Anioma should remain in Delta since Asaba is still the capital . Ordinarily they constitute the single largest population in delta( though Ughrobo is wrongly credited with this) and have all it takes to be a state. Ndewo.

Ima ihe ofuma.

2 Likes

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 10:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
aribisala0:
I do not agree with the status quo or believe it will or indeed CAN last for ever. But creating new states will NOT HAPPEN by appealing to the HUMANITY of the "OPPRESSOR" or other sentimental claptrap. It is important to recognize the nihilist nature of whom we are dealing with and that is why the bravado of some past and present is amusing. First know your enemy is a dictum that testoterone filled champions of the past ignored. Hopefully some sagacity has been learnt since.
Creating new states will not solve the Nigerian problem. The whole structure of states is flawed and does not necessarily work for ALL Nigerians.

What needs to happen is to define UNITS of NIgeria that are equal to other UNITS in terms of how they relate at the CENTRE. THose units should decide HOW THEY wish to organize themselves. Some may choose states others LGA etc that should have no bearing on what occurs at the centre. So state creation is NOT the issue but something even more fundamental which eludes many here. The fact hat we can wake up in one part of the country and kill hundreds of others because of religion.ethnicity is a clear portent we are not a nation so why deceive ourselves with state creation.IS THAT THE ISSUE?

Regarding the talk of southerners supporting other southerners the structure is such that FOR YOU TO GET OTHERS MUST LOSE and man by nature is selfish.
If the situation was that state creation in the south doe not affect revenue allocation or national assembly representation who will care if you have a million states. So rather than deal with proxy issues let us negotiate this REVENUE AND NATIONAL ASSEMBLY REPRESENTATION once and for all. I Bet NIgeria will soon revert to 10 states.

WHY SHOULD NIGERIA HVE MORE STATES THAN INDIA??

My guy true federalism even at the fiscal level is what we all agitate for down here in the south. But the fact remains that when push come to shove 'the numbers' will count. You have already state that the odds are stacked heavily against the south (51-57) in the number game. A few more states in the south is very critical to balance the odd.

You have a point when you argue that sentiment may not sway the 'power that be' in achieving this objective, but you are not entirely correct as you clearly have no idea what is being done in the background. So while the word 'fairness' my sound too simplistic to you, the forces at play, might have eluded you. In any case, this matter was a campaign issue in 2011, it will continue to be, and sooner or later, some who really understand the power of 'sentiment' or appeal of fairness in politics will start paying serious attention to these. GEJ, 'clueless' as some of you think he is, might just be the smartest president after all. So guy, 'sentiments' is not at play here, what is at play is 'politics.' Let see how it plays out!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 12, 2012
@ Afam I'm Ika. Ika North-East LGA.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by FSU: 12:02am On Sep 13, 2012
HNosegbe: @ Afam I'm Ika. Ika North-East LGA.

Please which ethnic group does Ika belong in, and what language do they speak; that is, aside English? Thanks
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 12:18am On Sep 13, 2012
FSU:

Please which ethnic group does Ika belong in, and what language do they speak; that is, aside English? Thanks

Ika is a group of Igbo people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NNPC Boss, Baru Reacts To Report Linking Kyari To N50bn Funds Kept Away From TSA / Saraki, Dogara, NASS Members May Leave APC Thursday - New Telegraph / APC Crisis: Govs Back Down As Buhari Supports Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.