Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate (24049 Views)

FG Seeks Abolition Of Visa Requirement Among D-8 Member Countries / Tinubu Calls For Revolution / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 9:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
Anyway, back to the topic of the initial post...is Tinubu correct?

In the US, the initial purpose of the senate was to serve as a counterbalance to the house of representatives. So that the voice of small states like Wyoming will not be overwhelmed by populous states like Illinois.

Is this actually appropriate for a regionalistic sort of Nigeria? Probably not...the lines of tensions are not small, less populated states complaining about political domination from more populous ones. But more South vs. North, oil-producing states vs. non-oil producing, Igbos complaining about marginalization, various groups wanting true federalism, etc.

So, are there other good reasons to have 2 legislatures? Reasons strong enough to outweigh the redundancy and increased cost?

In my personal opinion, no.

So, Tinubu is correct in making this call.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Having skimmed through this thread, I still don't quite understand how the initial conversation degenerated like this.

Desola and Gbawe: You are both posters I like and respect, and in my opinion your political disagreements can be discussed w/o devolving into the personal.

I have a request for you both.

Let's relax and calm down. At a minimum, let's keep the discussion focused squarely on the issues and relevant actors.

So no more personal attacks...issues only. Can we agree to this?

Beats me that both descended so low. Maybe because of the ringside rif rafs cheering them on..
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 9:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
I don't get it.

If you see a cockroach like fstranger cheering your fight on, and various partisans from the other side like ACM10 also cheering...shouldn't you stop, pause and say, "Hey, maybe I need to calm the fvck down! or perhaps this discussion needs to be moved to a private email conversation rather than NL."

Cockroaches are only attracted to filth and chaos. So if one shows up in your thread and appears happy, then you are probably doing something wrong.

Whether you like it or not, we are all on the same side. So rather than Desola tearing down Gbawe or Gbawe tearing down Desola, why not find another way?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 9:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Anyway, back to the topic of the initial post...is Tinubu correct?

In the US, the initial purpose of the senate was to serve as a counterbalance to the house of representatives. So that the voice of small states like Wyoming will not be overwhelmed by populous states like Illinois.

Is this actually appropriate for a regionalistic sort of Nigeria? Probably not...the lines of tensions are not small, less populated states complaining about political domination from more populous ones. But more South vs. North, oil-producing states vs. non-oil producing, Igbos complaining about marginalization, various groups wanting true federalism, etc.

So, are there other good reasons to have 2 legislatures? Reasons strong enough to outweigh the redundancy and increased cost?

Yes

But is Tinubu not a hypocrite for making his wife, I mean IMPOSING HIS WIFE AS A SENATOR IN LAGOS CENTRAL THE HIGEST REVENUE GENERATOR IN LAGOS STATE ?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 9:52pm On Sep 20, 2012

I think you'll find that not many people disagreed with his call but most were looking into the real implementation of his suggestion.

personally, I don't think we should do away with the senate but to overhaul our governmental structure. Not be removing but restructuring our core values and governance as a whole. The problem is not the institution but the people who run the institution.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Ufeolorun(m): 9:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
The fight here isn't really about this thread but a spill over from the 'nada' thread. https://www.nairaland.com/1050126/2015-jonathan-pdp-fail-s-west
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 9:54pm On Sep 20, 2012
Gbawe:

Stop with the patronage. What low EQ are you talking of? Guy, I have proven my point about a malevolent shrew who is nothing but a hateful banshee from hell. That said, you only inadvertently shown things about yourselves here with how you display a perverse and unpleasantly biased nature that cannot let you simply adjudge wrong or right in the spirit of equity and fairness.

You are willing, like a feral pack, to castigate someone who has done nothing wrong and praise a foul-mouthed shrew who is anathema to everything considered decent in Yoruba women and only deserves to be told to tone down the hatred and uncouthness . All this merely because you think you are defending a female ID? Is that all it takes to compromise your character? Let us leave issues as they are.

Wow! Your back and forh wih her spanned several pages and Ive been on this conversation from very early on, i did not entr into your confrontation. You invited my patronage when, as she correctly observed, you attempted to twist and score points with my statement. I did not invite myself into your confrontation, you invited me in.

Emotional Quotient is a fairly new term relative to IQ and it expresses need for one to reach out with the heart and embrace others in goodwill and grace. On a forum like this where the need to express and respond mentally and logically is desired, the IQ is very active and on high speed, we supress the warmth in our hearts and impress with the coldness of our thoughts.

I dont know who is from hell and who is not, i dont know who is male or female behind the different monickers we portray here for our individual identities but I hope that people are, to a degree, honest in who they claim their gender to be. Besides, desola is a unisex name but this particular desola you are comfronting is a female and everyone in nl who have interacted wih her will tell you this. So please drop that abstract theorizing and come back to reality.

Praise in Yorubaland is part of the EQ. When a child is upset, the mother embraces and praises. When a wife is upset, the husband embraces and praises her. When a King is troubled, the drummers sings his glory and praises him with cheer. When a human specie anywhere is afflicted the human race generally respond with humility and support. What part of EQ is it that you do not understand?

Even myself, honorable Chief Negro, when I piss off the Igbos I sometimes turn around and appease their bruised senses. grin grin

Gbawe, beneath the mental capacity of intelligence and logic there is a warmth in your heart. You have said some cold things to desola and ahe has returned wih cold statements to you. The female nature is naturally warm but in an environment such as this forum she must raise herself to the demands......that does not in any way make her less of a woman. Her contributions is brilliant and thought provoking and if she attacks its because thats what the discussion calls for. However, for you to carry on with her for as long as you have done , going into maybe the 10th or 11th page now since you started, speaks more against you as a man than it does to portray her in any negative manner. You are respected here as well and you have a credibility to guard......if two or three women get in here and jump on her side they will tear that image to shreds, trust me!

I am not biased.....I present it the way i see it. Do you have the fulani heads yet? .....if no fulani grab a gambari. grab ndu_chucks . grin

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 9:55pm On Sep 20, 2012
alj harem: Yes

But is Tinubu not a hypocrite for making his wife, I mean IMPOSING HIS WIFE AS A SENATOR IN LAGOS CENTRAL THE HIGEST REVENUE GENERATOR IN LAGOS STATE ?

How is it hypocritical?

If you and I are playing a game of chess, and in the middle of the game I think that it would be better if the rules for the knight are different, can I immediately implement those rules before our game is finished?

Tinubu is playing by the rules. That he thinks the rules should be changed doesn't mean he is a hypocrite.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 9:55pm On Sep 20, 2012

Oh God bless you for bringing us back to what is important.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by olivertwist: 9:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Yorubas are their own enemies. Bad governance, we complain, good governance we complain, what else do we want this Tinubu to do. He rescued SW from the grip of PDP, if he didn't care for the SW people, he could've done away with the likes of Fashola and bring in the likes of Akalas and nothing will happen, but he didn't. Why can't we for once look at the message and not the messanger.

Tinubu call for state police, No way.
Tinubu call for SNC, No way.
Tinubu call for new revenue formula, No way.
Tinubu calls for the privatization of Power, No way...and what is GEJ doing now?
Tinubu wants INEC to be the one to elect state resident electoral officers, No way.
Tinubu calls for the scrap of the senate, not minding the fact that it'll affect his wife, No way.
Tinubu calls for equity and fairness in election, No way.
Tinubu calls for regional autonomy, No way.
Tinubu calls for creation of more local govts in Lagos state, No way.
Tinubu calls for constitutional review, no way.

[b]Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu

[/b]
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 9:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
alj harem: Yes

What a re]tard. Lagosians went to the polls and voted for the best candidate without any gun placed next to their heads forcing them to do so. Did Tinubu promised to marry you and instead dumped you for his wife you foggott?? You've wished the man ill health and death for what what? Because Tinubu refused to put a ring on your finger? See jealous bitchhhh.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 9:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
Desola:

I think you'll find that not many people disagreed with his call but most were looking into the real implementation of his suggestion.

personally, I don't think we should do away with the senate but to overhaul our governmental structure. Not be removing but restructuring our core values and governance as a whole. The problem is not the institution but the people who run the institution.

Well, I would argue that there is also a problem with the institution, in addition to the people.

What purpose does having two legislatures serve? What value does the Senate deliver? If it doesn't deliver additional value, then it is a waste of funds, is it not? And if it wastes funds, then the institution is flawed, yes?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 9:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Oh God bless you for bringing us back to what is important.
cool
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by peckhamboi: 10:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
This is quite unlike Gbawe but he is definitely in the wrong here.
He is fighting a very wrong battle and one you can't win.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by danjohn: 10:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
fagamite: Another person on the prowl!

Didnt he? Didnt he create all those companies in Lagos?

DId he not? He carried them in his womb for 9 months and delivered them to us just at the right time, not to talk of how he nurtured them through their formative years

Must you resort to name calling?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 10:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

How is it hypocritical?

If you and I are playing a game of chess, and in the middle of the game I think that it would be better if the rules for the knight are different, can I immediately implement those rules before our game is finished?
e
Tinubu is playing by the rules. That he thinks the rules should be changed doesn't mean he is a hypocrite.

I don't think that illiterate sabi the meaning of hypocrite.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Johndoe100(m): 10:03pm On Sep 20, 2012
Desola:

Lesson 101 from page 1, the spineless effeminate sissy!

Honestly, i'm sorry to have ripped you n.aked in the village square like this but you gave me no choice. I do hope that at some point today, you would thank me and apologise for being the sorry mess you have become. How would your minions ever look at you the same now? Being bi.t.ch slapped on NL by a mere female is not a good look, you know. And you keep coming back for more!

Are you into leather and whips? Seems to me that you like being dominated by a woman. Well...i'm a part-time dominitrix so come here and let me whip that black charcoal backside of yours with pleasure.

Haggard ke? Boya lo mo!

Gbawe, I wanted to berate you on your sycophancy, however you have been bitch slapped by a woman already. Oma she oh!!! Is this what a man becomes when he sells his soul?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

How is it hypocritical?

My brother, that is a wrong analogy cuz there is no way you can call a rule change after you have just used the move. You would NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUS.

With that said Tinubu is not focusing on the important things as a party leader. Scarping the senate which I support would not bring any improvement in his own department. Infact it is none of his busy if not he is being hypocritical, Let GEJ do this and let him focus on SW governance if he is serious
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 10:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
The heart of the matter is that many people don't like Tinubu.

So unfortunately, every time he opens his mouth, rather than discussing what he said and its merits, people instead talk about why they don't like him.

Even if he says 1+1=2, then people will disagree.

For me, even if Satan says something, I will first check what he says before blindly disagreeing.

Look, I don't like Tinubu very much myself and am starting to have pretty serious doubts about the ACN in general.

But...this thread isn't about that. So it is probably best to start up another thread on that topic.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:08pm On Sep 20, 2012
olivertwist: You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Yorubas are their own enemies. Bad governance, we complain, good governance we complain, what else do we want this Tinubu to do. He rescued SW from the grip of PDP, if he didn't care for the SW people, he could've done away with the likes of Fashola and bring in the likes of Akalas and nothing will happen, but he didn't. Why can't we for once look at the message and not the messanger.

Tinubu call for state police, No way.
Tinubu call for SNC, No way.
Tinubu call for new revenue formula, No way.
Tinubu calls for the privatization of Power, No way...and what is GEJ doing now?
Tinubu wants INEC to be the one to elect state resident electoral officers, No way.
Tinubu calls for the scrap of the senate, not minding the fact that it'll affect his wife, No way.
Tinubu calls for equity and fairness in election, No way.
Tinubu calls for regional autonomy, No way.
Tinubu calls for creation of more local govts in Lagos state, No way.
Tinubu calls for constitutional review, no way.
[/b]

Thats another lie I dont like you Tinubu fans do. When he called for SNC, REVENUE FORMULA review, privatazation of power etc WHO SAID NO WAY. WE ALL SUPPORTED HIS CALL

MOREOVER CREATION OF MORE LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN LAGOS STATE WHICH HE HAS ALREADY DONE IS ILLEGAL AND TINUBU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED IF NOT FOR NIGERIA CORRUPTION
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

How is it hypocritical?

Look, let's call a spade a spade. It is sheer nepotism, is Lagos State that devoid of people that best that Lagos Central could put forward is Remi Tinubu?!

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eko_Ile has been shockingly quiet today...

Cheer up, brudda.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2012
alj harem: cool

Alhj , the royal son of Aworis, na you I see so?

Olivertwist, please teach me how to play that trick. How did you pull that through and didnt get blocked by nl bot?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Alhj , the royal son of Aworis, na you I see so?

Olivertwist, please teach me how to play that trick. How did you pull that through and didnt get blocked by nl bot?

Thank you oga mi grin grin grin grin grin How things na ?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
The message is the most important thing, not the messenger...

Enjoying the discourse!
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

Look, let's call a spade a spade. It is sheer nepotism, is Lagos State that devoid of people that best that Lagos Central can put forward is Remi Tinubu?!

Thanks, Mama. Awori l'a n lo. wink

Now, am I fawning?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 10:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

Look, let's call a spade a spade. It is sheer nepotism, is Lagos State that devoid of people that best that Lagos Central can put forward is Remi Tinubu?!

Sure, let me even concede that it is nepotism.

But...nepotism is a different sin from hypocrisy.

And nepotism has nothing to do with whether his call for abolishment is wrong or right, does it?

Why can't we discuss the issue on its own merits rather than making it again about Tinubu?

If you like, pretend that it was some random person unconnected to politics at all who made this proposal.

Do you agree with the proposal, or not?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one:

Thanks, Mama. Awori l'a n lo. wink

Now, am I fawning?

Not so quick. Tinubu's ACN maybe slow in action but I'd still take a thousand Amosuns over Oloshious fellows like OGD. Devil punish him ati gbogbo irandiran e wherever he is!!!

@ektbear, I don't because it no longer is democracy if we do away with the Upper House. If the Upper House is really duplicating the roles of the lower house, we should restructure their roles rather than scrapping it altogether.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

Thank you o !!!!
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

Sure, let me even concede that it is nepotism.

But...nepotism is a different sin from hypocrisy.

And nepotism has nothing to do with whether his call for abolishment is wrong or right, does it?

Why can't we discuss the issue on its own merits rather than making it again about Tinubu?

If you like, pretend that it was some random person unconnected to politics at all who made this proposal.

Do you agree with the proposal, or not?

Yes he is right but he is also a benefactor of the same issue he is now against after he had enjoyed his turn.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Politics is a dirty game and democracy is the platform... Ronald Reagan is one of the most revered politicians in American history, but we all know what he did during the Iran Contra... Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, and Tony Blair are the most revered in the UK - and we all know these people were/are not saints... Churchill was a racist... Thatcher was an elitist and was also pro-apartheid... And Tony Blair's sins are still haunting him...

Tinubu isn't a saint but the message is worth looking at..
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 10:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
Alj Harem:

Then no matter what he says, you will condemn it.

If he says, "The senate should remain", you will say it is because his wife is a senator.

If he says, "The senate is redundant and should go", you will say his wife got the chance to benefit from it.

So it seems to me that there is absolutely no answer he can give on this topic that will satisfy you.

Doesn't that seem unfair? I get that you hate the man...but if you will disagree if he says YES and will also disagree if he says NO, then that suggests confusion on your part.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Soludo's LGA Under Attack, Aguata LG Headquarters Set Ablaze / Supreme Court Rules: Saraki's Appeal Lacks Merit,Trial At CCT Continues / Osinbajo Replaces Babachir At New Boards Committee: Dailytrust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.