Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN (11175 Views)

Buhari Economic policy is very sound and Pragmatic. by Tuale4u / Our Growth, A Result Of Jonathan’s Economic Policies – Dangote / BUHARI:I Will Reverse Jonathan Economic Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 12:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

What do want to ask? Not sure I get your question.

Your said the YOUWIN isn't creating jobs by your conviction and i asked how you arrived at that conclusion . . . .
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
bubadaniel13: Only the short sighted will believe this evil report,they are just envious.

At Hammed and Buba...this is where I think you are both wrong. Yes, the U.S has a new interest in Nigeria's Agriculture....let me explain a few things to you. This is where China differs from the U.S. When the U.S enters into deals with African Country and with Nigeria's foolish leaders, its a WIN-LOSE situation, with the U.S winning. When its China - China understands that Nigeria always gets the short end of the stick, so sometimes, they try to be nice. Nigerian leaders lack appropriate negotiation skills. Even when they negotiate, it is for their pocket and nothing else.

U.S claiming to invest in Agriculture will
1. Allow them access to Nigeria's land - in the name of farming. They will lay claim to land and lots of it.

2. When they do, they will begin drilling for other things...and not really plant.

3. Even if they do, they will hand off the lands to Americans that want to live in Africa and export products into other African countries.

When America goes to work or invest in places like Africa, they DO NOT think of Africa. They think of themselves.

So you posting that article, to me, doesn't make sense. 2 billion investment in Nigeria is for America's interest and NOT Nigeria. Do you know how long America has been investing in Nigeria? Nigeria hasn't progressed much now has it? Well its improving but still.

China does more.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

Sure. Every development program has SWOT. So setbacks are expected. I didn't create the program so I can't speak to if folks behind the program will address the setbacks. For now though, winners of YOUWIN have received their funds.

Then I hope the folks behind the program spoke to the people that it's meant to target to address this sort of setback.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:30pm On Sep 19, 2012
jmaine:

Your said the YOUWIN isn't creating jobs by your conviction and i asked how you arrived at that conclusion . . . .

YES! Not by my conviction but looking at the numbers at hand. The program has not yet created the expected job numbers. I arrived at the conclusion because I work closely with program winners and we are creating tools that will allow us to track job numbers. So far it hasn't created the expected job numbers.

It might be too early to tell as Winners, received their funds not too long ago. But it looks gloom.

Pls before you argue: look at the overall money spent on the program vs. Job creation (or expected job creation)
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Idokojimmy: 12:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
Nigeria: Statistics Bureau Reports 6.28% Economic Growth

Posted on September 17, 2012 04:00 pm under Business, Strategies & Solutions
Enlarge image

VENTURES AFRICA – Nigeria’s economy is on the rise, achieving a 6.28 percent increase in the second quarter of 2012, attributable to the non-oil sector, as oil remains depressed.  Inflation has lessened, lingering at 11.7 percent in August.

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) released its report yesterday, in which it details a turn-around in the pace of economic growth in Nigeria, which has over the past few years seen a significant slowing of growth – culminating in a three-year low of 6.17 percent in the first quarter of 2012.

This slowed growth in Africa’s second largest economy is largely attributable to the dip in oil-related trade over the past years.  Over 80 percent of Nigeria’s government revenue comes from the oil sector, with oil accounting for 95 percent of the country’s foreign exchange earnings.  As consumer countries in the developed world have experienced financial troubles over the past years, Nigeria has felt the knock-on impact with disruptions in the sector to both sales and production.

The NBS report shows that the building and construction sector has contributed substantially to the recorded growth rates, while the oil sector continues to display a depression in the market.  While crude-oil production rose nominally as compared to the first quarter 2012 – from 2.35 million barrels per day (bpd) to 2.38 million bpd – this still reflects a significant decrease from Q2 2011, when the figure for the second quarter was 2.45 million bpd.

GDP growth has seen a mixed-bag of sector-specific results, as the largest contributing sector- agriculture – suffered a hit, as growth slowed to 3.97 percent for Q2 2012, as compared to 5.95 percent in Q2 2011.  Surprisingly, the telecommunications sector also saw a slowing in GDP growth, down to 29.77 percent for Q2 2012, as opposed to 33.70 percent a year ago.  Conversely, GDP growth was fuelled by the manufacturing sector which expanded to 7.45 percent in Q2 2012, from 7.34 percent in the corresponding period last year.  Nonetheless, the report concluded that the quarterly nominal GDP had seen an overall increase as compared to the same period 2011, with the figure rising to 9.84 trillion naira ($62.4 billion) from 9.17 trillion naira ($58 billion) for Q2 2011.

Inflation has seen a recent dip to 11.7 percent in August, down significantly from 12.8 percent in only July – the report concluding that this good news can be attributed to the drop in food inflation over the same period; with food inflation falling to 9.9 percent in August from 12.1 percent in July.

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2012/09/nbs-reports-6-28-economic-growth-for-nigeria/
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
naijababe:

Then I hope the folks behind the program spoke to the people that it's meant to target to address this sort of setback.

Let's hope so.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by bubadaniel13: 12:35pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

At Hammed and Buba...this is where I think you are both wrong. Yes, the U.S has a new interest in Nigeria's Agriculture....let me explain a few things to you. This is where China differs from the U.S. When the U.S enters into deals with African Country and with Nigeria's foolish leaders, its a WIN-LOSE situation, with the U.S winning. When its China - China understands that Nigeria always gets the short end of the stick, so sometimes, they try to be nice. Nigerian leaders lack appropriate negotiation skills. Even when they negotiate, it is for their pocket and nothing else.

U.S claiming to invest in Agriculture will
1. Allow them access to Nigeria's land - in the name of farming. They will lay claim to land and lots of it.

2. When they do, they will begin drilling for other things...and not really plant.

3. Even if they do, they will hand off the lands to Americans that want to live in Africa and export into other African countries. So because China is doing more we should go back to our cocoons,my problem is some of us are sympathising with every report that emerge from everywhere,we all know how this country was misruled for years,we should not expect magic but there are indications that this govt is serious,why shoul I believe a report that is foreign?

When America goes to work or invest in places like Africa, they DO NOT think of Africa. They think of themselves.

So you posting that article, to me, doesn't make sense. 2 billion investment in Nigeria is for America's interest and NOT Nigeria. Do you know how long America has been investing in Nigeria? Nigeria hasn't progressed much now has it? Well its improving but still.

China does more.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by NiceKid2(f): 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
naijababe:

YOUWIN, SURE-P and whatever else. It's IBB all over, stupid slogans that enable some obese men and women to corner more of the national cake for their personal use.
DFRRI, NDE, MAMSER, Better life etc where are they all today. Same same but different, sigh!
But people are already benefiting from the SURE programme. There was even a second batch for women only. Soft loans are actually being given to people to set up businesses. It is not a story at all, people are really benefiting.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
@IdokoJimmy - can you read to understand this article and not just post something from a website?? Thx.

What's the point of it? The argument here is not whether or not Nigeria's GDP is growing or whatever else. The UN has a criteria for claiming why Jonathan's policies are failing. Unemployment and extreme poverty are amongst these reasons.

What is in it for the "common man"? How does a growing GDP translate into wealth or growth, or merely a job for the common man?
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
Nice-Kid:
But people are already benefiting from the SURE programme. There was even a second batch for women only. Soft loans are actually being given to people to set up businesses. It is not a story at all, people are really benefiting.

If this is true, I am glad to hear it.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
@bubadaniel13: LOOOOL - who works at the UN ? aliens? You don't want to believe the report because its "foreign" you forget that Nigerians and other Africans work at the UN...

Guy, abeg park well joor.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 19, 2012
My two year old niece knows!
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by bubadaniel13: 12:48pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi: @bubadaniel13: LOOOOL - who works at the UN ? aliens? You don't want to believe the report because its "foreign" you forget that Nigerians and other Africans work at the UN...

Guy, abeg park well joor.
he who pays the piper dictates the tune....
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by lacasa: 12:51pm On Sep 19, 2012
GEJ is synonymous with Failure, thats all tђere is ϯo it angry
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:53pm On Sep 19, 2012
Pls stop being a conspiracy theorist. Thxs..LooL

Even Rock Ross (aka Rozay) knows Nigeria always has a failing Economic policy. Hope you didn't miss his video.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 12:53pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

YES! Not by my conviction but looking at the numbers at hand. The program has not yet created the expected job numbers. I arrived at the conclusion because I work closely with program winners and we are creating tools that will allow us to track job numbers. So far it hasn't created the expected job numbers.

It might be too early to tell as Winners, received their funds not too long ago. But it looks gloom.

Pls before you argue: look at the overall money spent on the program vs. Job creation (or expected job creation)

I don't argue for the sake of it . .but i only seek to address points . . . .

I intentionally wanted to guage how current you were with the program before i delve in . .and my verdict says you have a fairly limited knowledge on the program so far . . .

We are all aware that the target of Youwin was to give 6,000 awardess with 1,200 awardees already listed and given their first tranche of loans

The grant was divided into 4 phases with stipulated targets meant to be met before the major disbursement is released which is the secong and third tranche . . .

The first tranche payment was to enable awardees get the rudiments of what their businesses need and also to act as a double check for seriousness in the winners . . .The first tranche payment was to cater for issues like, purchase of equipment,renting of office space, getting the requisite permits the various businesses will need E.G NAFDAC, SON e.t.c if any . .And their monitors also did come to verify if those things are in place to merit the second major push.

As i speak, most of the awardees are waiting for the mega second tranche which will propel job creation cos they are expected to begin productions and[b] your third tranche depends on how many people you were able to employ and how viable your business is going[/b] . . .

YOUWIN is no free launch as there are numerous checks in place to keep awardees focussed . . .not after some eloped with their first tranch payment after winning VISA lotteries grin . . .

Moral of the post ====> Don't be too hasty to cast doubt in the process when you don't have the full details at your disposal . . .Yes, it taking time but the FG is very methodical in their approach . . . .

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:55pm On Sep 19, 2012
lacasa: GEJ is synonymous with Failure, thats all tђere is ϯo it angry

Easy there...its not easy to rule Nigeria. Let's take Nairaland as a case study of Nigeria. Hope you didn't miss the Moderators complaint thread...heheehehe
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by ganye1: 12:55pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko: It's difficult to say the policy is failing, actually.
Much of the policy hasn't even been implemented. There's also a significant lack of alignment between the tiers of government, and even inside the executive.
Everybody is running around in different directions, all chasing moving targets.

The partisan-ship is also at its highest level since the military left the reins of power.
This is exactly what failure is.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 12:55pm On Sep 19, 2012
double post . . . .
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Idokojimmy: 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2012
2012: IMF Predicts 7.1% Growth for Nigeria’s Economy
17 Apr 2012

The    IMF also Tuesday predicted a 7.1 per cent growth in Nigeria’s economy  this year.

Growth in sub-Saharan Africa will pick up to 5.4 percent this year thanks to new mineral and oil production and the growth of export markets outside Europe, according to the fund's latest world economic outlook.

But South Africa, the region's largest economy, will grow by a modest 2.7 percent this year, as it struggles with weaker terms of trade and a decrease in business confidence.

"Sluggish growth in South Africa may require some policy support," the report said.

According to Reuters, South Africa depends on Europe as a market for its high value-added exports, and has seen soaring unemployment, stock market volatility and currency depreciation, due to the eurozone's sovereign debt crisis.

South Africa's 2012 growth forecast was revised up from2.5 percent in January, while a projection for regional growth in 2012 was revised down modestly from 5.5 percent.

Many other sub-Saharan countries have benefited from limited exposure to Europe as well as rebounding agricultural sectors after last year's droughts, the report said.

Oil exporting sub-Saharan countries are projected to grow by7.3 percent in 2012, buoyed by Angolan oil production

According to Reuters report, IMF  also  said that Nigeria, another major oil producer, will grow by 7.1percent.

Despite the generally rosy predictions, the IMF warned of knock-on effects to African economies if Europe tumbles further.

Such a shock would likely be transmitted via South Africa, and would hit African exports, remittances, aid and private investment.

"Adverse shocks affecting South Africa can quickly spread to neighboring economies, through their effect on migrant workers' incomes, trade, regional investment, and finance," the report noted.

South Africa should consider further monetary easing if the slowdown continues, the report noted, as long as inflation remains low.

Tags: Business, World, Okonjo Iweala, IMF
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by free2ryhme: 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2012
even the common man on the street knows dis ..sshs
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by DisGuy: 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2012
Stop posting predictions jare

one minute some people say UN na bad belle the next minute someone is posting IMF predictions of growth-

post Quarterly job creation stats preferable from NBS
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2012
jmaine:

I don't argue for the sake of it . .but i only seek to address points . . . .

I intentionally wanted to guage how current you were with the program before i delve in . .and my verdict says you have a fairly limited knowledge on the program so far . . .

We are all aware that the target of Youwin was to give 6,000 awardess with 1,200 awardees already listed and given their first tranche of loans

The grant was divided into 4 phases with stipulated targets meant to be met before the major disbursement is released which is the secong and third tranche . . .

The first tranche payment was to enable awardees get the rudiments of what their businesses need and also to act as a double check for seriousness in the winners . . .The first tranche payment was to cater for issues like, purchase of equipment,renting of office space, getting the requisite permits the various businesses will need E.G NAFDAC, SON e.t.c if any . .And their monitors also did come to verify if those things are in place to merit the second major push.

As i speak, most of the awardees are waiting for the mega second tranche which will propel job creation cos they are expected to begin productions and[b] your third tranche depends on how many people you were able to employ and how viable your business is going[/b] . . .

YOUWIN is no free launch as there are numerous checks in place to keep awardees focussed . . .not after some eloped with their first tranch payment after winning VISA lotteries grin . . .

Moral of the post ====> Don't be too hasty to cast doubt in the process when you don't have the full details at your disposal . . .Yes, it taking time but the FG is very methodical in their approach . . . .

Where have I cast doubt on the program? Pls indicate in my post where I have cast doubt about the credibility of the program You don't have to indicate to me any morals. Keep your morals for yourself.

I don't know any YOUwin Nigeria winner that have run away with American visas...

I have questioned whether the amount spent on the program will translate into the amount of jobs the program is expected to create.

You don't know the program as well as I do. I won't argue with you.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 1:03pm On Sep 19, 2012
Jmaine: money miss road. If you have a learning or reading disorder, don't come and embarrass yourself here. I've never claimed Youwin is a free launch and once again, I don't know any you winners that have run with UK or American visas....so pls I beg- this is not the romance section. Get off drugs if ure on it.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Dpeacemaker101: 1:03pm On Sep 19, 2012
The UN should actually conduct their researches well, Nigeria is more populated than so many African countries and the birth rate increases everyday. The federal government does its best to create employment in the country of which so many of us are beneficiaries of, but the fact still remains that you can't satisfy everybody at the same time due to our population. They should also look into other economic growths, rather than just capitalize on one. For me, I believe the GEJ administration is heading for the promised land.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by ziccoit: 1:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
3 in 4 and 3 in 5 of general population and youths are unemployed respectively. Itsookaay. That is 60 to 75% of armed robbers, terrorists, kidnappers, political thugs etc in training.

Dont worry, I just spoke with the president. We are on top of the situation. grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by obowunmi(m): 1:10pm On Sep 19, 2012
ziccoit: 3 in 4 and 3 in 5 of general population and youths are unemployed respectively. Itsookaay. That is 60 to 75% of armed robbers, terrorists, kidnappers, political thugs etc in training.

Dont worry, I just spoke with the president. We are on top of the situation. grin grin grin

If he doesn't give a DAMN, he will create a committee that will give a damn,
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by ziccoit: 1:11pm On Sep 19, 2012
Dpeacemaker101: The UN should actually conduct their researches well, Nigeria is more populated than so many African countries and the birth rate increases everyday. The federal government does its best to create employment in the country of which so many of us are beneficiaries of, but the fact still remains that you can't satisfy everybody at the same time due to our population. They should also look into other economic growths, rather than just capitalize on one. For me, I believe the GEJ administration is heading for the promised land.

High Population translates to powerful market strength in a sane society.

The answer to your curiosity is HIGH LEVEL OF CORRUPTION and LACK OF WILL (BALL grin) to fight it.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by vislabraye(m): 1:11pm On Sep 19, 2012
What are the criteria for development? Job creation and poverty alleviation are the two most significant criteria. This is not rocket science, there are things we can see to know whether the country is moving forward or not.
The president has down quite well in the power sector after a huge price from the consumer. If this can stabilize many SMEs will survive.
There's still more work to be done. But having stable security and good judiciary system would go a long way to help the economy.
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by jmaine: 1:12pm On Sep 19, 2012
obowunmi:

Where have I cast doubt on the program? Pls indicate in my post where I have cast doubt about the credibility of the program You don't have to indicate to me any morals. Keep your morals for yourself.

I don't know any YOUwin Nigeria winner that have run away with American visas...

I have questioned whether the amount spent on the program will translate into the amount of jobs the program is expected to create.

You don't know the program as well as I do. I won't argue with you.

Sure you know so much about the programme, but you never knew about the periodicity of the funds, reasons behind it and what condition/mile stone were attached . .Cos your assertion indicated full funds were released which isn't so

And are you also aware that some awardees were blacklisted for irresponsible conducts and unverifiable claims . . .Bet you didn't know that as well smiley

Bros, forget YOUWIN matter jare . . .make we face the thread grin . . . .Cheers . . . . .wink
Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by ZeusI: 1:13pm On Sep 19, 2012
United Nations should shut-up their stinking mouths, they have failed, both as a body and in delivery of their agreed duties. They are not ashamed that they cannot stop the settlement programme in Israel(annexing of palestinian lands) or control any of the world powers when they violates international laws and sovereignty of less-powerful countries, but when they see any third world country, their energy will project beyond the brim. Nigerian youths a mired in the myopic concept of white collar job while opportunities abounds in other sectors, that is the problem of Nigerian youths. If U.N has nothing else to offer, they should disband like the fomer un-performing world organisation that precede them, and let Nigeria be.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN by Toktee(m): 1:14pm On Sep 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Nobody is over-intellectualizing anything.
And your comment is the example of the partisan-ship I mentioned in my post. Most of Jonathan's touted policies have not even gotten off the ground yet. This isn't a defect of his administration, everybody in Nigeria knows that execution is our greatest challenge. Not that I was defending the man. He just has not gotten started yet, simple.
Sir,when is he going to start,just accept the facts and figures,sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cross Rivers Lawmakers Attempted To Mislead The Court - High Court Judge / Electricity Grid Rises To 4,133mw / Election: Prosecute, Don’t Kill Nigerians – Ben Bruce Tells Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.