Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,551 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (17009 Views)

Funeral Service: Casket HID Awolowo Was Laid In (Photos) / I Dropped My Presidential Ambition For Buhari — Saraki / I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:17pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: I take it that you grew up in the US, right? You do realize that reconstruction in the American South was aborted, ended prematurely? And this is something Southerners are to some extent still bitter about?

The USSR stripped Germany of many assets, at first. Factories dismantled and shipped over. They may later have poured resources into East Germany so that it wouldn't be too weak relatively to West Germany, but their intentions there were anything but good.

And yes, Japan received asisstance. But Germany after WW1 did not. How can you only pick and choose examples that suit you, and ignore the fact that reconstruction for the losing side is not the norm in war?

Reconstruction was largely hindered by the south who was not fond of the new power given to blacks. The process ended when a deal was made that the Rupublican candidate would be allowed to win if the Federal government pulled out of the South. However the South was by no means left out, under FDR the greatest electrification project occured in the South with the TWA. The South by and large today is subsidized by the western and Northeastern states with bulk of their funding coming from the Federal Government.

Does the SE get any of those perks?

Yes, they received little assistance after WWI but times were much different. The league of nations (precursor to the UN) was created after and the rules that govern how wars are to be fought came after that. Before that, war were a win/lose thing period. Geneva and the like did not come until much later and it was in that climate that the allies had a change of heart on the matter. Not out if love but out reason that if a man is left bitter and broken he's much more prone to taking up arms.

Had Japan fought in WWI it would have not received the assistance it did.

The Allies were not propping up West Germany out of kindness either, it was out of the belief that the USSR was trying to advance its communist ideals and Germany was a set piece in that battle. The reason East Germany was crap was because the economic policies of the Soviets were awful. Period. East Germany was supposed to show the positives of communism and instead put on display why its a poor economic plan.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: Did this same military governor not successfully remove all the northern soldiers from the eastern region, or not, prior to the Aburi accords?

So, essentially all of the soldiers in the Eastern region at the time of the Aburi accords were under his command, yes?

If it were me in that position, then I would be in no rush. I would take my sweet time.

for gowon and more importantly murtala muhammed, the whole thing was a continuation of the july 1966 coup
the only thing that would make them stop was ojukwu's complete surrender to them, his ouster or his death
they would have removed him later
stop taking these northerners for fools
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Ufeolorun(m): 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2012
van bonattel:

Blaming ojukwu for the war is childish , and its upside down reasoning like this that will continue to hold us back in this cesspit called naijiriya. Until people own up and apologize for blood letting, the gods of justice will continue to turn its face from our unholy union. Let's dream on. A thousand years from now and maybe we shall still be blind to reason because some will love to support the mistakes of their grand fathers.
Achebe has since been vindicated, a people who fails to mend their past are bound to suffer their future.

Nope!it maybe a shared fault but the major part should go to him.the singular problem of the union is greed and nothing will change(not even the apology) if we don't work on it.
We can mark the death of millions of innocent people,it wont harm/cost anyone but 'we are right,they are wrong' approach wont work.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ufeolorun:

Nope!it maybe a shared fault but the major part should go to him.the singular problem of the union is greed and nothing will change(not even the apology) if we don't work on it.
We can mark the death of millions of innocent people,it wont harm/cost anyone but 'we are right,they are wrong' approach wont work.

but what if (as in nigeria's case) history has shown that the biafrans were right and the nigerians were wrong?
should we simply accept a fallacy?
i keep saying that africans are just plain dumb
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ACM10: 9:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: What is even the connection between them being massacred and the declaration of independence.
The massacre occured twice in a space of 3 months. Ojukwu tried to calm the situation. He got assurance from Gowon government and some leaders in the north that easterners are free to return to their bases and that their lives and properties will be protected. Ojukwu actively encouraged the easterners to return to their bases. Only for the massacre to occur again. Mr.! What will you honestly do if your life is not protected in your country? Remember that the death of one man led to the outbreak of the first world war. So, why do you fail to see the connection between the death of 30,000 easterners and the declaration of independence? undecided

Are you saying that those within Biafra were being massacred, and declaring independence saved them?
How does staying in the same union with their tormentors save them. You are reasoning with your cauda equina.

If you are referring to those outside of Biafra, say still in the north...how on earth does seceding save them? Doesn't that actually increase the jeopardy they'd face?

Honestly, you are not making sense

I think that you guys aren't thinking very clearly or critically about this stuff.

If yours is critical thought, then I'd rather be dumb.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Antivirus92(m): 9:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear:

Of what relevance is this to me? It isn't as if I am seeking your approval or something. Either rebut the point I made or keep it moving.
and you are a product of awolowo free-education? GOD HAVE MERCY!
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
1a) Certainly the political parts of reconstruction were opposed by southerners. But not the economic parts, which also ended prematurely.
1b) FDR came quite a bit after the civil war..
1c) Yes, the south is subsidized by the coastal states today. But that isn't very relevant to what occurred immediately after the US civil war.

2) There is nothing in the Geneva conventions that says that blockades are not permitted, nor that you must do a Marshall plan for the side you defeat in war. Again, cool that the US did it, but by no means par for the course.

3) Well, agreed, it certainly wasn't kindness. The point is that with a strong European economy, everyone is better off. But my point is, this was a unique thing...it certainly wasn't the standard at that time.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: 1a) Certainly the political parts of reconstruction were opposed by southerners. But not the economic parts, which also ended prematurely.
1b) FDR came quite a bit after the civil war..
1c) Yes, the south is subsidized by the coastal states today. But that isn't very relevant to what occurred immediately after the US civil war.

2) There is nothing in the Geneva conventions that says that blockades are not permitted, nor that you must do a Marshall plan for the side you defeat in war. Again, cool that the US did it, but by no means par for the course.

3) Well, agreed, it certainly wasn't kindness. The point is that with a strong European economy, everyone is better off. But my point is, this was a unique thing...it certainly wasn't the standard at that time.

you want me to post a proof?
hate wasting time with dumb lots though
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by T9ksy(m): 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
Antivirus92: it takes a man to do what ojukwu did. For your information-stop mistakening ojukwu for a fighter(a soldier who just shoot gun). Do you know what ojukwu was? Ojukwu was the brain box/engine room. A brain box never die in a war or the war is lost. Ojukwu never ran out but was asked to leave by biafrans. Yes ojukwu never fooled his people like awolowo/abiola did,instead he told them what the outcome would be and they asked him to go on. For the hunger stuff, it's a normal thing during a waring period. Ojukwu and igbos knew that such would happen cos nothing comes easy. But we are bent to get our freedom not minding the cost. Do you think that nigeria can wipe out igbos? NO,if they can,they would have done it. Nigeria really fought to the elastic limit. They knew they fought really with men and not boys even with russia/britain/arab league on their side.

If ojukwu as a seasoned soldier knew that he and his people were going to be blockaded, why then didn't

he do something to avert the numerous deaths of women, children and old folks in biafra? In fact, ojukwu used that opportunity to solicit for more guns from friendly nations.

It wasn't nigeria but the northerners who ojukwu claimed were prepared to wipe the ibos out. He went as far as inferring

that even when they are in biafra, the northern army will still follow them to their ancestral land and liquidate them.

This definately wasn't true and ojukwu knew that.

So Ojukwu was asked to leave by his people? That's a blatant lie!!! Ojukwu fled in the middle of the night, precisely

3am after hiding in the bush for over 4hours.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 03, 2012
achebe has spoken and we know he spoke the truth
all the yaribas can keep kidding themselves

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2012
Two quite simple questions.

1. How does seceding preserve the lives of those still remaining in the North or West? After seceding, are their lives more safe or less safe?
2. For those in the East prior to secession, were they in any danger of being massacred? If not, then again, how does seceding preserve their lives?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2012
re@lchange:

you want me to post a proof?
hate wasting time with dumb lots though

Indeed. Post evidence that a blockade during a civil war violates Geneva conventions (or any international law, for that matter).
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Antivirus92(m): 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2012
T9ksy:

If ojukwu as a seasoned soldier knew that he and his people were going to be blockaded, why then didn't

he do something to avert the numerous deaths of women, children and old folks in biafra? In fact, ojukwu used that opportunity to solicit for more guns from friendly nations.

It wasn't nigeria but the northerners who ojukwu claimed were prepared to wipe the ibos out. He went as far as inferring

that even when they are in biafra, the northern army will still follow them to their ancestral land and liquidate them.

This definately wasn't true and ojukwu knew that.

So Ojukwu was asked to leave by his people? That's a blatant lie!!! Ojukwu fled in the middle of the night, precisely

3am after hiding in the bush for over 4hours.
you've just spoken according to the capacity of ur brain. He hid in the bush for 4 hours before leaving? Is that what awolowo told you? . He moved on a helicopter to abidjan, who and who planned for the helicopter? Do u think he can do it alone or did awolowo told u that he travelled to ivory coast on foot?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ACM10: 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: In any case, if someone hates Awolowo, no wahala. I'd probably hate him too if I were Igbo/Biafran.

But, it is pretty dishonest to make the other side appear to be demons and make yourself look like an angel, as Achebe seems to be doing.

Now answer me! Did Achebe level any false accusation against Awolowo? If yes, can you pinpoint it from the excerpt of his memoir?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: Two quite simple questions.

1. How does seceding preserve the lives of those still remaining in the North or West? After seceding, are their lives more safe or less safe?
2. For those in the East prior to secession, were they in any danger of being massacred? If not, then again, how does seceding preserve their lives?

secession came after, not before easterners left the north and west

they were in danger of being wiped out
take it or leave it
if you doubt, pick up a book and read
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:46pm On Oct 03, 2012
re@lchange:

secession came after, not before easterners left the north and west
So secession certainly could not have been for the purpose of saving lives in the north and west, you seem to agree.

they were in danger of being wiped out
take it or leave it
if you doubt, pick up a book and read
By whom? The non-existent northern troops in the Eastern region? You do know that the only soldiers at that time in the East were controlled by Ojukwu, yes?

So:
a) Who was going to massacre these folk in the East?
b) How does seceding prevent that from happening?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear:
So secession certainly could not have been for the purpose of saving lives in the north and west, you seem to agree.

By whom? The non-existent northern troops in the Eastern region? You do know that the only soldiers at that time in the East were controlled by Ojukwu, yes?

So:

have you read any book about the counter -coup of july 1966?
if you have, you wouldn't be asking these types of questions

the war itself was because the counter coup failed in enugu
the north wanted to subjugate and rule the whole country
they succeeded in the west but failed in the east
go and read what they did in areas where they succeeded
nothing else would have stopped them if ojukwu didn't secede the east
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:51pm On Oct 03, 2012
ACM10:

Now answer me! Did Achebe level any false accusation against Awolowo? If yes, can you pinpoint it from the excerpt of his memoir?

Well, he says nothing that can be pinned down to the level of true or false. Everything he says in this article is pure speculation and innuendo.

E.g.: "It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people."

Am I supposed to respond to "It is my impression" with TRUE or FALSE?

The point I am making is that the story he is weaving makes it seem as if only one side is to blame. Which if this is his claim, is false.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by whitecat007: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
That goes to show you that, for you to see a non tribalistic ibo is as easy as passing an elephant through the eye of a needle.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ACM10: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear: Two quite simple questions.

Can you give us an estimate of Ndigbo population in the north after the massacre? Can you name any Igbo resident in the north after the massacre?

This shows that you are ignorant on this topic. Gowon has already launched war at Gakem and advancing on the east from the north and south. They were committing genocide already in many border towns of the east.
"Were they in the danger of being massacred?" sounds dumb to me. They've committed massacre twice and were committing genocides at the border towns. Then you are asking whether they are in the danger of being massacred. SMH
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
So I take it you won't answer questions (a) and (b).

Nor will you provide a quote from the Geneva convention condemning blockades in civil wars, I take it.

Anyone else who can answer (a) or (b), or show where blockades are banned, feel free to do so.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 03, 2012
Quick help in the discourse:

Since 1945, the UN Security Council determines the legal status of blockades and by article 42 of the UN Charter, the Council can also apply blockades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade

Article 42

Should the Security Council consider that measures provided for in Article 41 would be inadequate or have proved to be inadequate, it may take such action by air, sea, or land forces as may be necessary to maintain or restore international peace and security. [i]Such action may include demonstrations, blockade, and other operations by air, sea, or land forces of Members of the United Nations.[/i][i][/i]
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_VII_of_the_United_Nations_Charter

I'm out..
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2012
the safest truth about nigeria is that the country is not one, cannot be one and will never be one
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2012
ACM10:
Can you give us an estimate of Ndigbo population in the north after the massacre? Can you name any Igbo resident in the north after the massacre?
Are you claiming that the # in both the north and west was zero?

This shows that you are ignorant on this topic. Gowon has already launched war at Gakem and advancing on the east from the north and south. They were committing genocide already in many border towns of the east.
"Were they in the danger of being massacred?" sounds dumb to me. They've committed massacre twice and were committing genocides at the border towns. Then you are asking whether they are in the danger of being massacred. SMH
So prior to the declaration of independence by Biafra, you are claiming that Gowon had already commited genocide near the east

Are you very sure that you know what you are talking about?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear:
Are you claiming that the # in both the north and west was zero?

So prior to the declaration of independence by Biafra, you are claiming that Gowon had already commited genocide near the east

Are you very sure that you know what you are talking about?

guy your reasoning capacity is almost infantile.
so, if you have 20 igbos hiding in the north, you would disregard the 30,000 that had been killed already, just to satisfy your logic?
the igbo in the west were all hiding and they weren't statistically significant

not that you care for the truth though

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:02pm On Oct 03, 2012
ekt_bear:

My dear, it's better to fight and secure a honourable peace than to play coward in the face of grave danger that threatened to wipe off you people

This is why I commented earlier that your are ignorant as far as this topic is concerned. Do you know that there was skirmishes at the border towns which was initiated by the Nigerian troops? The skirmishes displaced many easterners and forced them to flee to eastern heartlands.

So:
You are beginning to sound monotonous. Seems like you are bereft of ideas.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by whitecat007: 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
Cos Achebe lied!
oshyno: Y has dis not made d front page mod ? Bcuz of d tribal war or home dry truth frm Achebe ?
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by CyberG: 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
Antivirus92: this is one of the reasons why nobody took yorrobbers serious in nigeria. So according to you, you see the war as a power tussle between ojukwu and gowon? May God grant biafra independent! We can't continue living with people who are back-stabbers,liars,saboteures,hypocrites. People who sees the truth but will decide to call black green. What do ojukwu have to do with creation of states? Though he may not like it but he knew that it's beyond his power. And for the last time, ojukwu never singly declared biafra. We igbos asked him to do so after trailers of dead igbo people killed by muslims in the north landed in onitsha. There was mourning all over igboland. Ojukwu told us what the outcome of the war would be but the igbos asked him to go on since the government led by gowon -a northerner,is not ready to do anything significant. If ojukwu or probabbly igbos had wanted war,they would have taken time to plan and prepare. But everything in that war was impromptu on the igbo side. And again there was never a time killing stopped in the north. I heard you say it. They only pause when they are drafting another strategy.

First, there's no mystery or big deal about Achebe. He is just another human being, mortal, finite and limited by his personal experience so he can just air his views like every other person. Now to the issues you raised, I will respond briefly:

1. Iboz who were known to be loyal to the biafran secession were selected to be in the people's assembly that you supposedly told ojukwu to declare secession. This is well-documented only if you would read - they were not just ordinary, regular, clear thinking people, for the ones whose loyalty were in doubt were removed. So, stop lying like this was some decision he had to take because he was told to do it.

2. It is in fact a poor leadership without any foresight that will take such a big step to jeopardize the lives of 3 M+ when he could lay it down to them clearly what would happen. Did he not study history? Does it mean that rather than provide leadership, ojuku would rather follow his followers who thought he was leading them and later today, someone rather than blame the leader turn around and blame the so called iboz?

3. Sad trailers of dead iboz landed in Onitsha but did this just happen out of the blues? Did you remember that after the iboz coup of 1966 killed leaders of every other part of Nigeria while preserving ibo leadership, those dead iboz or their kins and relatives were the ones making fun of the northerners in their own land? "Shi maganin ne" they sang as they pointed out how the iboz soldiers had killed their Sadaunna. Ha, you think that was okay? Ironsi had several months to punish his fellow ibo coupists, but what did he do: NOTHING. But when the northerners responded in kind, iboz are crying till today while the northerners and westerners whose leaders were killed have moved on.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by ektbear: 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
Let me break it down for you, since you aren't seeming to get it.

1. Secession did not in any way preserve/prevent any massacres:
a. It didn't help those who remained in the north.
b. It didn't help those in the west.
c. Those in the east were in no danger of being massacred, as the civilian populace there was not Hausa, and moreover the military and police in the East at that time were under Ojukwu's command.

Do you get the point now?

You saying that the #s in the North and West were minuscule actually improves my point for me.....
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by whitecat007: 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
The article in its entirety is BS
nku5: Sup supa troll!! You are one multi-talented hack. You can keep your head far up tinubu's ass blowing sycophantic air and type at the same time.

Where in the article was tribalistic

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by CyberG: 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
re@lchange:
the safest truth about nigeria is that the country is not one, cannot be one and will never be one

Good, and what are you doing about it? I hope you know no one will vote iboz because this is their mindset which every other part of Nigeria knows too well. Since you cannot understand the value of teamwork, community and unity, let the people who do continue to be in leadership positions. Iboz apparently are only for division not building-up.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by whitecat007: 10:09pm On Oct 03, 2012
Your father is the criminal, thou shall not insult Awolowo
Truckpusher: Ojukwu was a warmonger and Awolowo committed war crimes and crimes against humanity,both them are EVILMEN.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

LSPWC Begins Rehabilitation Work On Lasu-iba Road Intersection(photos) / NITDA Issues ‘Code Of Practice’ To Regulate Online Platforms In Nigeria / An Imperfect Democracy Is Better Than A Perfect Military Dictatorship - Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.