Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30328 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by InvertedHammer: 9:42pm On Oct 06, 2012
[b]This is how I see it...For all those who think Nigeria is heaven on earth.....just keep enjoying it. I don't envy you!
Sooner than later, you will be the same ones to run to this forum to complain how shit a place Nigeria is. grin grin grin

Take a trip to US or British Embassy in Nigeria
When people get visa to escape Nigeria, it is all jubilations!
Take a trip to MMIA or other International Airports in Nigeria
When people are sent back to Nigeria, it is all lamentations!

I live in both world, Lagos/Abuja vs. Irvine/Houston.
Heck, I was in Dubai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Dubai, Paris, London, Guangzhou, Amsterdam....
I have been around the world...

But no where have I seen the level of infrastructure decay, corruption, dirt, insecurity as in Nigeria.
When I showed someone my house in Lagos, she thought it was a prison yard.
Thanks to the 20 coaches with barbed wire fence. Is that life?

When a dog barks down the street at night, everyone on the street becomes acutely hypertensive.
God forbid there is a loud bang at any gate at night, that one is real hypertension!
Yeah, and this is where I want to live and raise a family under the guise of patriotism.

I have to buy gas for my generator, dig borehole for water, dispose my trash, and at the end
of the month, NEPA brings their bill, municipal council brings one levy or the other, water corporation
brings their water rate. And I am supposed to shout....ELDORADO!!!

Leadership is 20% of Nigeria's problem. The ignorant mass who think they are wise constitute 80%.
Why? Because someone who stands for nothing falls for anything. Nigerians stand for nothing so fall for
anything forced down their throat. As inter alia stated, if Nigeria is heaven on earth, just enjoy it. Don't
take out your frustration on someone who opt not to subject himself to the psychological trauma called Nigeria.
Just enjoy it!

Nigeria is about the only place you work hard to make money, then you work hard to spend it by overtly and covertly.

People keep praying not to go to hell when they die, and I ask: What hell?
If you live in Nigeria, YOU ARE ALREADY IN HELL!
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by mickjagger(m): 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2012
In Africa, the conventional wisdom is that life is much better abroad, especially in the developed countries in the west. Many people, especially the unemployed, the ambitious and the optimistic believe that life abroad must offer much more promising to their home country. This is the reason why some people will go to any lengths to acquire a visa and other travelling documents in a bid to leave the country at the earliest opportunity.

Some Nigerians who travel abroad, especially to America and Europe usually go there with unreasonably high expectations. This is partly due to lack of awareness, not doing enough research before migrating to downright ignorance or desperation back at home. After enduring the poverty and low expectations of fulfillment back home, they imagine that they are moving to a land of milk and honey, an Eldorado where life is smooth, jobs are available and where one can achieve beyond their wildest dreams.

This is the common understanding by people who have not seen the reality of life in the US. Not that the belief is entirely misplaced, no. There have been many success cases among Nigerians, but the sob stories almost correspond with number of successes. The problem lies with the misconceptions that people have about life in the west. Then there is the issue of the green card, which enables people to move to America and become citizens.

There have been numerous cases of people’s lives changing for the worse after winning this elusive card. Many people do not understand the ramifications of winning the green card. They imagine it is their key to a new prosperous life, and they embark on the migration to America without doing thorough research and without any preparations apart from hope and prayer.

In short, they plunge into an unknown world and hope or believe that things will work themselves out once they have settled in America. Cases have been heard where people who have won the green card cut off all roots to their homeland in the believe that they are going to start a new life and, as it were, turn over a new leaf and wash their hands of a regrettable origin and past. They sell all their property, resign from their jobs, withdraw children from school and generally cut all links to their lives in Nigeria.

In some extreme cases, some people have been known to tell their friends, foes and family members the unflattering truth about what they really think of them. In short, they burn their bridges since they are leaving, forever. Wrong move.

For those who have no relatives, friends or contacts, many arrive in the United States virtually broke. No home to live in, no job, no information about where you are going to settle. What many people don’t know is that once you step out of the plane after arrival in the US after winning the green card, you are literally on your own! The American government does not provide any freebies at all to immigrants and woe unto you if you arrive without a plan for survival.

Other realities sink in, and very fast. Your certificates and papers may not be recognized. You might think that you will become a teacher or doctor since it was your job back home, only to realize that the education system in America is very different and has no place for you. Due to this misconception that one can automatically get a new job similar to the one they used to have at home, many frustrated Nigerians end up doing lowly jobs (compared to their previous ones). That is why we get people who have degrees doing such menial jobs as dishwashing, toilet cleaning, serving in the homes for the elderly and such other things that they would not have thought of doing.

In this time of a world recession, even more Americans are finding themselves out of jobs. What chances are there, therefore, for an immigrant Johnny or Jane Foreigner? This culture shock and lack of orientation has led to various problems including depression, drug taking, suicide and generally being a nuisance to friends and family whom you find there.

Cases of immigrants to America juggling two, three or even four casual jobs are commonplace. This is because life is very expensive in America and in Europe. So one might come across an unhappy Nigerian, doing a job they don’t like and generally living unhappily and in frustration.

There are some who are beggars and homeless, and there re other qualified and specialized people who are doing menial jobs that they would never have contemplated back home. Some have died and been buried abroad as paupers. Some people, when faced with the harsh reality that their dream was but a mirage, are reluctant or unwilling to return home. This is because they feel they have failed the expectations of their people, and are ashamed to go back even poorer than they left. This is more so of those who won green cards and burnt their bridges back home. They feel that they will be the laughing stock once they go back. This is because many people leave home with wild expectations of getting rich. They host ‘farewell’ bashes where talk of a new prosperous life abroad is spoken.

Amid such great expectations from relatives, some opt to stay put in America, living their unhappy lives and even cutting contacts with the people back home. These are the frustrated, bitter lot that you see in Nairaland all the time.

It is imperative to conclude with a little advice to so called "Diaspora". If you are leaving to look for a better life abroad, do not burn your bridges as you might need them to walk on when things don’t work out and you have no option but to go back home.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 12:29am On Oct 07, 2012
InvertedHammer: [b]This is how I see it...For all those who think Nigeria is heaven on earth.....just keep enjoying it. I don't envy you!
Sooner than later, you will be the same ones to run to this forum to complain how shit a place Nigeria is. grin grin grin

Heck, I was in Dubai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Dubai, Paris, London, Guangzhou, Amsterdam....

But no where have I seen the level of infrastructure decay, corruption, dirt, insecurity as in Nigeria.

When a dog barks down the street at night, everyone on the street becomes acutely hypertensive.
God forbid there is a loud bang at any gate at night, that one is real hypertension!
Yeah, and this is where I want to live and raise a family under the guise of patriotism.

I have to buy gas for my generator, dig borehole for water, dispose my trash, and at the end
of the month, NEPA brings their bill, municipal council brings one levy or the other, water corporation

Leadership is 20% of Nigeria's problem. The ignorant mass who think they are wise constitute 80%.
Why? Because someone who stands for nothing falls for anything. Nigerians stand for nothing so fall for
anything forced down their throat. As inter alia stated, if Nigeria is heaven on earth, just enjoy it. Don't
take out your frustration on someone who opt not to subject himself to the psychological trauma called Nigeria.
Just enjoy it!

Nigeria is about the only place you work hard to make money, then you work hard to spend it by overtly and covertly.

[/b]

You are obviously a very poor man....smh

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by EkoIle1: 4:08am On Oct 07, 2012
This what you animals do in Nigeria...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsI45X7Oy28
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ezicat: 4:12am On Oct 07, 2012
I think I've grown bitter reading through the 14 pages of this thread. 14 pages of stating all the ills of Nigeria over and over and over again (as if that is some great revelation); 14 pages of defeatist attitudes on the part of some diasporans over and over and over again (as if revolutions are STARTED by the many and not the few); 14 pages of speculation of why some diasporians are so bitter over and...well you get the picture...14 pages of preaching to the diasporians to come home and contribute and 14 pages of talking about how solutions are the answer not more complaining

Yet not ONCE, not ONCE did I see anyone of you actually suggest a TANGIBLE solution. Sounded a lot like the Nigerian senate - all talk, no DEFINITIVE game plan. SMH

We all know that it is our attitudes that is holding the country down. Yet in this era of the internet, television, social media we're still wringing our hands and whining about it. I've always thought that since Nigerians are inherently proud, we can use it to our advantage to better the country. When I see those incessant advertizement of the poor African children with their bloated bellies, circling flies, slum-like conditions; that Bono song about whether Africans even know what Christmas is and those myriad of media stories all of which portray ONLY the negatives of my society, it makes my blood boil because it's such a one sided story - marketing for aid money/ratings...

But, then I think if only Africans at home knew what the rest of the world thought of them, would it get them to see the poor around them, actually SEE them for a change instead of walking all over them? Would it set them on the path of collective wealth over individual wealth in a bid to prove the world wrong? Would it pull them out of their complacency by making their blood boil? Would it make them as critical of the country as diasporians?

If WE started a campaign to have these adverts and news clippings and songs played continuously throughout Nigeria with a challenge to make a change that would stop giving negative fodder to foreigners and the like, would we start something? Would we give Nigerians the gift of another perspective?

I don't know, but it's worth a try, and I'm willing to put my money and time into such an endeavour. Are you? If not - do you have any other TANGIBLE suggestions of how we can change the attitudes of the average Nigerian (at home AND abroad)?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by AfroBlue(m): 5:29am On Oct 07, 2012
[b]recent news from yankee

Protesters Force Labaran Maku To Abandon New York Independence Day Parade
Posted: October 7, 2012

Members of the New York-based Nigeria Liberty Democratic Forum (NLDF) earlier today staged a dramatic flash protest that forced Nigeria’s Minister of information, Labaran Maku, to abandon the annual New York City Independence Day parade. The parade is an annual event organized by the Nigerian government and some Nigerian organizations in the US.

The NLDF protesters were led by Bukola Oreofe, an official of the group. The protesters had joined the colorful parade from 51st Street and 2nd Avenue when word spread that Mr. Maku was the “Parade Marshal” and led a troupe of Nigerian diplomats who waved the Nigerian flag at different groups as they danced the Nigeria House on 44th Street.

The NDLF members staged their traditional protest march past the Nigerian government officials. Shortly after, the protesters penetrated the area where the Nigerian minister and other officials were and began a flash protest. The protesters sang protest songs against the Goodluck Jonathan administration. Facing the minister, they shouted, “Go Home!” They also accused Nigerian officials of corruption and insensitivity to the plight of the vast majority of Nigerians.

One of the protesters told a correspondent that Mr. Maku “should return to Nigeria and sympathize with millions of Nigerians who are currently besieged by a massive flood disaster that has affected 22 states.” So far, the floods have claimed the lives of 148 Nigerians.

Other protesters demanded that the minister help to fix Nigeria’s myriad problems to ensure that Nigerians can celebrate their Independence Day in public without fear of terrorist attacks.

As the protests became charged, the Nigerian officials called in police officers from the New York Police Department to drive the protesters away. However, the NYPD officials showed no inclination to force out the protesters. Instead, the officers stood guard around the protesters to forestall any breakdown of law and order.

Once it became clear to the Nigerian delegates that NYPD officers would not force the protesters to leave, Mr. Maku and the diplomats left the stage and hurriedly retired inside the Nigeria House. Their disappearance brought the parade to an abrupt end.

The jubilant protesters continued to sing protest songs and addressed onlookers about the deplorable condition of their country. They warned that more protests against Nigerian officials visiting the US would be planned and staged.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arsenate(m): 8:07am On Oct 07, 2012
InvertedHammer: [b]This is how I see it...For all those who think Nigeria is heaven on earth.....just keep enjoying it. I don't envy you!

Just enjoy it!

[/b]
I still feel is better for me to be here than in a place where they see me as a parasite, pest, sub human or monkey. But of course calling some of you all these names doesn't mean anything. After all u got no shame. Btw what are you looking for in HELLs forum? Why don't u completely disconnect Yourself from the hell that is Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 07, 2012
Arsenate: I still feel is better for me to be here than in a place where they see me as a parasite, pest, sub human or monkey. But of course calling some of you all these names doesn't mean anything. After all u got no shame. Btw what are you looking for in HELLs forum? Why don't u completely disconnect Yourself from the hell that is Nigeria?

You are on point. Many have got no dignity.

Talk about identity crisis.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 07, 2012
If you say the Nigerians living overseas do not contribute to the Nigerian economy, you can check with the Central Bank how much of our foreign reserves is earned from remittances made via Western Union. The Big question is not if they contribute, It should be how do the receivers spend the money sent ---

As for the bitterness, I would agree that we are bitter... But these are for good reasons; We are bitter because we have traveled enough to understand that other countries with less resources end up better than ours - China, Malaysia, Singapore etc

We are bitter because we are treated like ATM machines by friends and families who are immediately only concerned about what you can offer them instead of what you can do together to benefit everyone. Even in cases where businesses have been set up, how often do we get our capital back talk less of making profit.

So before you blame the Nigerians overseas - please ask yourself. what has been your general attitude to your friends and family who moved abroad to make a new life? have you supported them in their efforts or have you really only wanted money from them - the answer will inform you of the outcome.

Nigeria is its people, the politicians are a product of our society and a reflection of ourselves, so we cant always blame the country's situation on politics, it is a moral situation that is manifested in the way our politicians behave - maybe we should look within ourselves and change our ways.

Making a move overseas is never easy, you leave your friends and family behind, sometimes you don't even have enough money to survive but you embark on it anyway- you end up as an outsider in a society that you barely understand and sometimes not even properly equipped to fit in; Your education is average at the most, your skills at blue collar jobs are non-existent. Immigrants suffer emotional burdens that you are unable to understand unless you embark on the journey yourself, but to make it worse... the people you left behind don't ask you how you manage to pay rent, feed or fees (if you're studying) - the first e-mail is a request for a mobile phone or laptop. Sometimes, they throw insults at you and make you feel like you've forgotten them because you say NO to their requests... Now, Tell me - would you be bitter or not? I'm struggling to pay rent, while he lives for free in his papa's house in Jabi and wants me to send him cash what would you do?

But that's not even all, You manage to gather up some funds so you can make a visit just so you can catch up with them - but they tell you; if you were not prepared properly, you shouldn't have made the visit and send the money instead... So now money is more important that our friendship?? They also forget that you know 100 other people and they all need a new phone - but no-one remembers to ask How much do you really earn monthly?

Na una they make some people do 419 just to be able to meet up to your demands.

We want to help make the country better, we have tried and some of us are still trying - we can bring skills that you don't have, we can get investments from foreign companies whom we have worked with and trust our character - It can grow the economy, we can create jobs. But we will not succeed until your attitude towards us change, We are partners, and together we can grow! ''TOGETHER''

The reason we left was so we can come back and partner with people on ground someday to make our society better, but the reality is you continue to chase us away by the demands and the lack of honesty - Ask yourself, have you supported your cousin in UK to make the move back or have you insulted him for not sending you that 2003 Toyota Camry you wanted badly...

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arsenate(m): 11:36am On Oct 07, 2012
Olodostein:

You are on point. Many have got no dignity.

Talk about identity crisis.
can you imagine. Even Somalis in diaspora have more pride and dignity than these guys. who calls his home all sorts of derogatory names, do nothing about her ills and shamelessly live in another man's home whose parents toiled so hard to make it what it is today if not cowards without an ounce of dignity or pride.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by justwise(m): 12:12pm On Oct 07, 2012
Arsenate: can you imagine. Even Somalis in diaspora have more pride and dignity than these guys. who calls his home all sorts of derogatory names, do nothing about her ills and shamelessly live in another man's home whose parents toiled so hard to make it what it is today if not cowards without an ounce of dignity or pride.

Sometimes i wonder why supposedly educated human beings like you think and write things like this, where did you get the idea that every Nigerian abroad are being treated like subhuman being or called monkey? Who told you that Nigerians abroad are not proud of their identities?

Yes there are discrimination but the same can be said about Nigeria, discrimination along tribal line exist even more pronounced here in nairaland.

Have you traveled out before and was treated like a subhuman being or you are repeating what people told you?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ochukoccna: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
Godogwu:
Improved standard of living? c'mon man its not like we live on trees in Nigeria. I can tell you that I personally live a better life in Nigeria and so do many people I know who are schooling abroad, not to brag but we have 3 houses to live in (Lag, PH and in the villa). In each house there are security men/gate men and theres a driver to run errands for you.... just to say a few. I don't get close to that comfort here... I share a house with my friends, its nice but not the same. you could make an argument that these western countries have a greater standard of living for the poor and a poor man in the US is far better off than a poor man in Nigeria because of the government aides and all what not but when it comes to the middle and upper class/ elite....we pretty much live the same lives and in some cases, even better.

I think it is delusion to equate better standard of living to boy boy messengers, having big rim cars and villa to indwell embarassed embarassed

What of security of lives and property, infrastructure, quality healthcare etc.?
Will the rich fly over the bad roads or live in sky castles because of insecurity? tongue tongue
With all the wealth in Africa, why is she still the poorest continent with the most deprived people? Serious food for thought
Typical black man sees wealth in form of cars ,resources and houses[19th century thought patterns reinforced by black rappers& Nollywood], wise men see wealth in terms of information& knowledge
Spot any difference lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

And talking of living a bling life in school, are you not supposed to be a student? undecided undecided
If you have it, flaunt it but as a made man, my children will have the best in life but not that they go to school and show off like spoilt brats
I got's to train them to be responsible, it's my money damn it cool cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by chinkelly(m): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
Arsenate: I still feel is better for me to be here than in a place where they see me as a parasite, pest, sub human or monkey. But of course calling some of you all these names doesn't mean anything. After all u got no shame. Btw what are you looking for in HELLs forum? Why don't u completely disconnect Yourself from the hell that is Nigeria?
@Asenate, SHUTUP! you and the poster are dumb! you and your kind can't even fit into a civilised environment. Its obvious why you feel better in this dungeon You call a country. If we are monkeys abroad it does not change the fact that you are a baboon at the hell hole you call home. Even at home you are still not recognized as a human being. With the likes of you and the poster how can Nigeria move forward? Lets call a spade a spade. This country is rotten. I once heard someone say he would rater be a slave in a foriegn land than be a slave in his own fatherland. Its a shame!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
^^^^ Don't mind the likes of Arsanate, the OP and Billoynaire or whatever he calls himself. Theirs is the same mindset that has put Nigeria in the sorry state it is today.

All the big men politicians i know are all running abroad buying houses and sending all their children to school there. To the same countries that see us as pest and monkeys and all that. I wonder if their own children and themselves are now whites because they are very rich. delusion of the highest order. I bet Arsanate and co are now saving every kobo of theirs to do same for their children.

They are just too blind to see that there are disporans who have better lives than them simply because we chose to live in foreign lands. They claim they are helping to re-build the country because that have managed to build a house and now travel abroad to do buy and sell grin^^^^

Remind them that diasporans also build houses in the same Nigeria and if they are sincere enough to do a survey of all the houses on their road, diasporan probably owns half of them. Yet they say we should not complain about that lovely Nigeria that they are all helping to 'rebuild' into a hell-hole. Mtchewww

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
;
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
ochukoccna:

I think it is delusion to equate better standard of living to boy boy messengers, having big rim cars and villa to indwell embarassed embarassed

What of security of lives and property, infrastructure, quality healthcare etc.?
Will the rich fly over the bad roads or live in sky castles because of insecurity? tongue tongue
With all the wealth in Africa, why is she still the poorest continent with the most deprived people? Serious food for thought
Typical black man sees wealth in form of cars ,resources and houses[19th century thought patterns reinforced by black rappers& Nollywood], wise men see wealth in terms of information& knowledge
Spot any difference lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

And talking of living a bling life in school, are you not supposed to be a student? undecided undecided
If you have it, flaunt it but as a made man, my children will have the best in life but not that they go to school and show off like spoilt brats
I got's to train them to be responsible, it's my money damn it cool cool

Dude, I never said I was living a bling life in school... If you read well you I said I live a better life in Nigeria than in the US that is all. As for the security of property, infrastructure, healthcare and all...I'd rather stay in my country and watch it grow to have all these things or do you think these western countries had all these things in place at 52?. Fact still remains that if you are sick, there are hospitals, infrastructure is growing daily and security can never be guaranteed but Boko haram is a terrorist group plaguing Nigeria and cannot be seen as a fault of the government. You need to get your facts right...Nigeria is the second largest economy in Africa and amongst the pillars that hold up the continent. Then again you said Africa is poor, like did you expect every country in Africa to compete with countries in Europe, America and all? Please don't be daft.. When did these countries gain independence?, when did the westerners stop exploiting them. Finally, I want to know why exactly you are saying these things?, what are you trying to put across....like, what's your point exactly?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2012
OilSubsidy: ^^^^ Don't mind the likes of Arsanate, the OP and Billoynaire or whatever he calls himself. Theirs is the same mindset that has put Nigeria in the sorry state it is today.

All the big men politicians i know are all running abroad buying houses and sending all their children to school there. To the same countries that see us as pest and monkeys and all that. I wonder if their own children and themselves are now whites because they are very rich. delusion of the highest order. I bet Arsanate and co are now saving every kobo of theirs to do same for their children.

They are just too blind to see that there are disporans who have better lives than them simply because we chose to live in foreign lands. They claim they are helping to re-build the country because that have managed to build a house and now travel abroad to do buy and sell grin^^^^

Remind them that diasporans also build houses in the same Nigeria and if they are sincere enough to do a survey of all the houses on their road, diasporan probably owns half of them. Yet they say we should not complain about that lovely Nigeria that they are all helping to 'rebuild' into a hell-hole. Mtchewww

It's obvious you feel you are part of whatever country you stay in, well Nigeria is and always will be our homes ( speaking for billoynaire, the OP and arsanate) . Speaking for myself, I cannot I repeat cannot be bothered about living in any western country...NO thank you. I rather live in my " hell hole" Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by InvertedHammer: 8:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
To Arsenate and Godogwu:

[b]I will let others hammer sense into you. Someone wondered why I still visit Nigeria forum...You missed the point which is typical of an educated illiterate.
I still travel to Nigeria two or three times every year. I have houses in Nigeria. But will I voluntarily live there? HECK NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The ignorant ones (of course, there are decent ones) argue that they have houses, cars, servants, etc. So what? I have all that every few weeks I stay
in Nigeria. So I do partake in your definition of "quality" life in Nigeria. It still does not negate the fact that I consider it a momentary journey to
HELL.
I have been through PH and MMIA. If you come into Nigeria and you have to pass through this two airports, you may throw up. The airports look like toilet.

Nigerians in diaspora are beginning to wake up to the challenge by harassing the politicians when they venture into places like Washington, NY, etc.
But the retards in Nigeria are busy bragging about depreciable items they acquire (cars, phones, etc) and misconstrue that as "living large".
With the high number of civil engineers churned out by the numerous glorified high schools (universities) in Nigeria, why are Nigeria roads death traps?
The half-baked architects ensure that collapsed buildings are not in short supply.

Do you really want to know that Nigeria is a shit hole? A student with just a pass in a University in Nigeria can come to the western world and get
very outstanding grades in schools. Why? It is the enabling environment stupid! The politicians know it. That's why they send their wards out to other
countries (even common Ghana ) to study.

And as I stated earlier, the led are busy here online making excuses for the leaders while the leaders are busy smiling to the banks.
Keep it on Arsenate and [color=#990000]Godogwu
while your life pilfers away. How is the English league? Chelsea, Manchester Utd, Liverpool and other
English Premier teams you sons of guns waste your precious times watching, fighting and maiming over while your lives run yonder. LOL.LOL.LOL.

By the way, the US diversity visa lottery is on now, you might want to fill out the applications and go and pray to whatever god you pray to have mother luck
smile on your behind. This way you will be opportuned to bid farewell to Nigeriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! LOL..LOL....LOL. Ignorance is a bliss~
[/color][/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 10:19pm On Oct 07, 2012
[b]Dude, I never said I was living a bling life in school... If you read well you I said I live a better life in Nigeria than in the US that is all. As for the security of property, infrastructure, healthcare and all...I'd rather stay in my country and watch it grow to have all these things or do you think these western countries had all these things in place at 52?. Fact still remains that if you are sick, there are hospitals, infrastructure is growing daily and security can never be guaranteed but Boko haram is a terrorist group plaguing Nigeria and cannot be seen as a fault of the government. You need to get your facts right...Nigeria is the second largest economy in Africa and amongst the pillars that hold up the continent. Then again you said Africa is poor, like did you expect every country in Africa to compete with countries in Europe, America and all? Please don't be daft.. When did these countries gain independence?, when did the westerners stop exploiting them. Finally, I want to know why exactly you are saying these things?, what are you trying to put[/b]

Still living in delusion of grandeur. You think you are better in Niaja. If a severe heart attack hits you, the closest hospital to take care of you is in South Africa -about 4 hrs away. The most deprived Naija in Abroad is less 30 mins away from the best medical care if hit with same problem. In Naija, if you get in a serious accident that requires complicated medical procedure to be done in less than 2 hrs, you can be guaranteed that you are joining your ancestors. If your private jet, banana island condo,Osbourne estate mansion,Bentley catches fire in Naija, be praying that folks have enough pure water to put out the fire, cos fire service is dead. Go and ask Dana Airline eyewitnesses. You still sound like a well off Nigerian who is bitter that most Naija folks in diaspora can afford the same life style you 'enjoy" in Naija without knowing anybody in government; not inheriting wealth; not being involved in corruption, but through shear tenacity and hard work. You are bitter because hard work and tenacity have catapulted most Nigerians in diaspora to the winner circle in Naija.
Since you are a student with well off parents, tell us how well-off your maids, cooks, gate-men are doing since Naija is a paradise on earth?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 10:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
To adcoline and invertedhammer

I still don't see your point. What's all the rubbish you have been saying driving at? One of you said you have buildings in Nigeria, am I meant to be impressed? Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person. I have never lacked anything in my 19 years in this life. I went to very good schools in Nigeria and I'm now a junior in college and frankly I can't be bothered by all the rubbish you spilled. My father makes decent money without ties to any form of corruption same thing goes to my mum and that's the same for millions of Nigerian individuals. How many politicians do you even think there are in the whole country? Like! The way some of you old folks talk atimes is really shameful. For all the medical trash you've been saying, my uncle had a heart attack once and he wasn't flown anywhere ( he is still alive). The most deprived nigerian abroad has the best healthcare less than 30mins away yea? You say this like its free, my mum came to see me once and was hospitalized for just 3 days and she had to pay a bill of over $4,000 which poor diaspora nigerian working at Burger King can afford this? Please spare me the praise of the western society. If you enjoy living abroad then good for you, I am just here for school and when I'm done....I'm gone.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2012
Godogwu: To adcoline and invertedhammer

I still don't see your point. What's all the rubbish you have been saying driving at? One of you said you have buildings in Nigeria, am I meant to be impressed? Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person. I have never lacked anything in my 19 years in this life. I went to very good schools in Nigeria and I'm now a junior in college and frankly I can't be bothered by all the rubbish you spilled. My father makes decent money without ties to any form of corruption same thing goes to my mum and that's the same for millions of Nigerian individuals. How many politicians do you even think there are in the whole country? Like! The way some of you old folks talk atimes is really shameful. For all the medical trash you've been saying, my uncle had a heart attack once and he wasn't flown anywhere ( he is still alive). The most deprived nigerian abroad has the best healthcare less than 30mins away yea? You say this like its free, [/b]my mum came to see me once and was hospitalized for just 3 days and she had to pay a bill of over $4,000 which poor diaspora nigerian working at Burger King can afford this?[b] Please spare me the praise of the western society. If you enjoy living abroad then good for you, I am just here for school and when I'm done....I'm gone.

It is called medical insurance you idi0t!! Have it and you will get the best treatment unlike your folks that had to pay $4,000 stolen money for it. I thought you said Nigeria is a great place for you and your family. Why didn't you mum check into one your hospitals there? Son of a thief!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 11:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
[b]I still don't see your point. What's all the rubbish you have been saying driving at? One of you said you have buildings in Nigeria, am I meant to be impressed? Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person. I have never lacked anything in my 19 years in this life. I went to very good schools in Nigeria and I'm now a junior in college and frankly I can't be bothered by all the rubbish you spilled. My father makes decent money without ties to any form of corruption same thing goes to my mum and that's the same for millions of Nigerian individuals. How many politicians do you even think there are in the whole country? Like! The way some of you old folks talk atimes is really shameful. For all the medical trash you've been saying, my uncle had a heart attack once and he wasn't flown anywhere ( he is still alive). The most deprived nigerian abroad has the best healthcare less than 30mins away yea? You say this like its free, my mum came to see me once and was hospitalized for just 3 days and she had to pay a bill of over $4,000 which poor diaspora nigerian working at Burger King can afford this? Please spare me the praise of the western society. If you enjoy living abroad then good for you, I am just here for school and when I'm done....I'm gone[/b]
[/b]
You are still a spoilt brat who thinks that his parents are better than everyone else. Tell me any rich Nigeria who does not crave to come to the US/EU for business, leisure, medical treatment, education , and all the good things of life? I can show you many successful Naija folks in EU/US who do not miss anything in Naija except their families. Tell me how your maids, cooks, gate guards, servants are doing? How many of them can afford to send their kids to good private schools in Naija? How many of them can afford to go to a teaching hospital let alone likes of Ekoo Hospital, Nicholas,and Niger Foundation? Let’s measure with most deprived in Naija with Diasporans who are struggling overseas. In diaspora, most folks who are of you age -19, stand on their own without their parents unlike in Naija where folks who graduated from universities with no jobs, are still being fed, clothed, sheltered and provided by their families, friends and associates. If western society as bad as you are saying, why are you studying there? Why are your parent visiting? Why are your parents going there for medical check-ups? I guess your uncle survived heart attack, because he was treated in Aso Rock, but Stella OBJ died in Spain, Yaradua in Saudi and Patience trying to surving in Germany.
Naija is dream killer!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by InvertedHammer: 11:44pm On Oct 07, 2012
OilSubsidy:

[b]Do you really have time for a 19-yrs old whose parents are still paying his school fees?

His parents sent him outside to study instead of the almighty Nigeria universities and he did not
ask why. By that evidence and admission, he had just proved my case. By the way, my issue of mentioning
houses in Nigeria is not a bragging right, just to inform the ones that think that they are more Nigerian
than others that perhaps, a good number of us in diaspora have more at stake in Nigeria than most of them in
ground zero. He mentioned working in Burger King...Yeah...this is really someone I really want to engage in
meaningful discussion. I will give him another 5 years to mature. By the way, that kid is never going back
to live in Nigeria...over his parent's dead body. They did not invest all that in his education to let it
go to Nigeria and become a waste. Just as itinerary to the west was not his idea, likewise relocating back
to Nigeria will not be his neither. He is just a mama boy.

Wait until life starts throwing curve balls his way, this small boy will learn.

Did you see the picture of the 4 PH boys barbequed in Aluu, Rivers State?[/b]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Eziachi: 12:20am On Oct 08, 2012
thelastPope:

My friend, read my post again. Even the title is clear enough. I said "why are they so bitter". There is no Nigerian that is satisfied with the happenings in Nigeria. I am not satisfied but I am not bitter either. What we see on NL all the time is bitterness and negativity. Read some of my posts and you will see where I have criticized Nigeria too. But I do not disrespect or ridicule my country. Foreigners read this stuff sometimes and its really sad what they see.
Because of the fact that life is infectious and having lived in a very well organised system, those bitter diasporans can no longer buy the lies of your oppressors. They no longer buy the ideas that it takes 200 years of democracy to have a decent life, while the oppressors are looting the common wealth. They no longer buy the idea that suffering and smiling is some form of patriotic act.
They have seen clearly that stealing a common wealth of the people has a zero tolerance. Without the small money they were sending home from your described little apartment with 15 men when your country was a pariah, your economy would be dead by now.
When a million of you were matching for Abacha for life president, they were bitter matching to stop him in the cold and after day, setting up radio Kudirat and making his life hell.
They are not bitter, they are just not fools anymore.
By the way, there is nothing wrong or shameful working in a Burger King. Its called dignity in labour- be proud of whatever that pays your bill. And its far better than armed robbery.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 08, 2012
I find the problem with Nigeria is mostly ignorance.

Some of the folks here have made comments about living overseas as if they know what they are talking about - Yes we do find Nigerians who live abroad under very shameful circumstances - But those are people who had nothing left back home and had to migrate at any cost without making a proper plan. There are desirable ways to migrate and there are illegal ways to migrate, the results in most cases speak for itself! A man who leaves his country on a 6 months business visa without a work or study permit, with limited cash and probably without a proper skill or education would soon find out that diamonds are not picked on trees.

Traveling, migrating and living overseas can be a wonderful experience. It opens your eyes to boundless opportunities and it enlightens you on new ways to do things. You are exposed to new cultures, food, education and it broadens your job or business opportunities. If you decide to stay in Enugu and never leave to see the rest of the world, well that is your choice - But don't act like you know beyond the Enugu scope, because that's really all you have seen.

Some of you speak as if living in another country is a bad decision, you speak as if you are scorned and not wanted in these places...I laugh at your ignorance. Whilst some places are generally unfriendly others are overwhelmingly welcoming (I know this first hand as i have lived in Asia, America and Europe as well as visited 24 countries on every single continent)

In most cases it comes down to integration, if you are too daft to integrate into a new world then its better to stay in your home country. a Hausa man who moves to Ibadan to sell tomatoes but doesn't find the time to learn Yoruba or don't care that pepper is very important in the Yoruba cuisine would never be able to reach the entire marketplace. So when you make a choice to live in another country, you must be willing to adapt to a new lifestyle. Skilled Migrants are welcomed every country as they have something to offer, some of our skills are best utilized outside of our home country where it is in demand and where there might be the possibilities of better pay for our services. there's absolutely nothing wrong in that!!!

BTW, I also find it disheartening that some Nigerians who have moved overseas are equally as ignorant as the village heads of their hamlets. Our issues in Nigeria cannot be solved by our individuality but through partnerships and co-operation. You might be comfortable in your Toronto townhouse but wouldn't you be better off if you were able to enjoy the same amenities back in your home country? instead of making derogatory comments about the motherland, shouldn't you be educating and supporting your local communities, shouldn't you be teaching them the positive things about traveling and the experiences you have gained?

We have a lot to teach; the value of hard-work, commitment and dedication over misleading 'get rich schemes', the ability to plan long term Vs Short sightedness etc

There are opportunities everywhere - In the US, in Europe and back home in Nigeria. The questions is do we want to limit ourselves to the American dream or do we want to also have the opportunity for an African dream. Me personally want to have it all... If you like call me thief! I gree
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 2:10am On Oct 08, 2012
OilSubsidy:

It is called medical insurance you idi0t!! Have it and you will get the best treatment unlike your folks that had to pay $4,000 stolen money for it. I thought you said Nigeria is a great place for you and your family. Why didn't you mum check into one your hospitals there? Son of a thief!

Now we've resulted to insults?...what of those who can't afford medical insurance, there are bums on the street that definitely don't have insurance....how do they pay their hospital bills? ........LOL $4000 stolen money?, dude it's not like I said $40,000 even....well I guess 4 grand is a very huge sum to you......it's nothing compared to my mothers health. My mum was in the US when she took ill, so there you have it, if she were in Nigeria she would not fly abroad for any treatment except every option has been exhausted. Finally, my parents aren't thieves.....they went to school and worked very hard to be where they are today and to secure a future for their kids and that's what I'm gonna do for myself. You can rain insults all you want, you are definitely not my class and I wouldn't trade insults with you Aii.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 2:36am On Oct 08, 2012
adconline: [b]I still don't see your point. What's all the rubbish you have been saying driving at? One of you said you have buildings in Nigeria, am I meant to be impressed? Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person. I have never lacked anything in my 19 years in this life. I went to very good schools in Nigeria and I'm now a junior in college and frankly I can't be bothered by all the rubbish you spilled. My father makes decent money without ties to any form of corruption same thing goes to my mum and that's the same for millions of Nigerian individuals. How many politicians do you even think there are in the whole country? Like! The way some of you old folks talk atimes is really shameful. For all the medical trash you've been saying, my uncle had a heart attack once and he wasn't flown anywhere ( he is still alive). The most deprived nigerian abroad has the best healthcare less than 30mins away yea? You say this like its free, my mum came to see me once and was hospitalized for just 3 days and she had to pay a bill of over $4,000 which poor diaspora nigerian working at Burger King can afford this? Please spare me the praise of the western society. If you enjoy living abroad then good for you, I am just here for school and when I'm done....I'm gone[/b]
[/b]
You are still a spoilt brat who thinks that his parents are better than everyone else. Tell me any rich Nigeria who does not crave to come to the US/EU for business, leisure, medical treatment, education , and all the good things of life? I can show you many successful Naija folks in EU/US who do not miss anything in Naija except their families. Tell me how your maids, cooks, gate guards, servants are doing? How many of them can afford to send their kids to good private schools in Naija? How many of them can afford to go to a teaching hospital let alone likes of Ekoo Hospital, Nicholas,and Niger Foundation? Let’s measure with most deprived in Naija with Diasporans who are struggling overseas. In diaspora, most folks who are of you age -19, stand on their own without their parents unlike in Naija where folks who graduated from universities with no jobs, are still being fed, clothed, sheltered and provided by their families, friends and associates. If western society as bad as you are saying, why are you studying there? Why are your parent visiting? Why are your parents going there for medical check-ups? I guess your uncle survived heart attack, because he was treated in Aso Rock, but Stella OBJ died in Spain, Yaradua in Saudi and Patience trying to surving in Germany.
Naija is dream killer!

First off, I never said my parents are better than anyone!! , like!! Wida!.....secondly tell me which rich US/EU person that doesn't travel abroad for vacations, business or even education and all the other good things of life?. Please can mc Donald workers, Burger King workers, Walmart workers send their kids to private schools? No!!!! And even when it gets to college education they use loans and sometimes are forever in debt of those loans. Don't you believe that ther are meant to be poor and rich people in the world??, everybody cannot be comfortable.....never!! ...it's there for social balance. My maid would eventually get married and live a life of hers, my gateman isn't married, and we provide him with enough, heck! We even feed the guy and give him bonuses on his salary regularly. I am studying in the US for a better level of education so I can compete better in the workforce, my parents are visiting because we have relatives here...my dad also comes for conferences and my mum comes because of her business and also to see me. Trust me when they want to go on vacation it's either obudu cattle ranch, the villa (village, not aso rock) at most Dubai. The US is mostly business. My parents don't travel here for check-ups goddamit!! My uncle is a doctor and owns his own hospital and we all do our routine checks with him. As for my uncle surviving a heart attack, I believe God heals and it wasn't his time to go. Nigeria is not a dream killer Aii smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 2:42am On Oct 08, 2012
OilSubsidy:

You say this as if medical insurance is that great. Close to 50% of the American population would have to go into debt just to pay the $4000 medical bill that Godogwu's mother had to pay for a 3 day hospital say. You also know that most times some dont pay and the rest of us end up with higher premiums to cover that expense.

Lets be honest here, unless you work for a great fortune 500 company with Cadillac health insurance, you're not much better than the average Nigerian living in Isolo. Yes you are less than 30 mins away from the nearest hospital should you fall ill here but at what cost? You'd probably spend the next 4 yrs stuck with huge hospital debts if that doesnt ruin your credit report.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Ilekokonit: 5:04am On Oct 08, 2012
coogar
you live in a cocoon and its because you hardly know better! when you see how it works elsewhere, you would go to a corner and weep for nigeria!

We have to daily keep criticising the Lootocrats who have held us ALL by the jugular in the hope that one day we shall have a critical mass of critics that will force our greedy leaders to change their evil ways.

Our greedy leaders in Nigeria are getting away with blue murder simply because All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do or say nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by InvertedHammer: 5:20am On Oct 08, 2012
Ilekokonit:

We have to daily keep criticising the Lootocrats who have held us ALL by the jugular in the hope that one day we shall have a critical mass of critics that will force our greedy leaders to change their evil ways.

Our greedy leaders in Nigeria are getting away with blue murder simply because All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do or say nothing.

YOU SAID IT ALL
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by lastpage: 6:51am On Oct 08, 2012
Having read all the comments here-in, l am wondering WHO IS MORE BITTER? grin grin

Even the thread itself, was started as a result of "deep-seated" BITTERNESS!
shocked shocked

(Shakes head and whistles; we'd get there, one day!)

Lastpage!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 7:07am On Oct 08, 2012
davidlan@
We don't have to skew facts because we are debating. Only less than 15% of Americans do not have coverage. In UK, almost everyone is covered. Even in the US, people are not refused service; you are not asked to make deposit before being treated like in Naija. The man in Isolo does not have any option, while a crackhead in skid row in LA gets treated any time.
My sister was hit by a hit and run driver, she was rushed to the hospital, they demanded for a deposit, because none of my family was there, they let her die. We were called after she had died. This cannot happen in EU/US.
It's disingenuous to say that someone who dies as a result of no care is at par with someone who goes broke after paying his/her medical bill after they have been treated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Jonathan’s Motorcade Rescues Accident Victims / Nigerians Prefer Imported Ladies To Made-in-nigeria Women - Dino Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.