Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,583 members, 7,955,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:54 PM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30694 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 4:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
Here is something to consider. It takes 6hrs for most flights from Naija to EU, so if GEJ gets heart attack, he's going to die before he gets to EU, but a Naija in EU gets that world class medical attention immediately.
You live in Naija with all ur money, your life span is less than 50 years, you live in EU/US your life span is above 70yrs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by kpolli(m): 4:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
Totally agree with u, I know the amount of fake Nigerians who only gist others about the bad in Nigeria. . . . I know Nigeria's worth, call it rubbish but the place is the best.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe: @OP

I don't know if it is entirely "bitterness". I think Nigerians in the diaspora have a patronising attitude towards Nigeria. Not good I concede, but I don't think you can entirely blame them for that. We cannot always reduce everything to money and frustration either. Some diasporans are just extremely upset at the slow pace of things back home. Always negative news of extreme corruption, terrorism, lawlessness and general lack of progress.

They see things that would be done ,in days, in their diasporan Nation take several decades to achieve in Nigeria. Many diasporans are just disappointed and this can lead to their negative outlook , towards Nigeria, you term "bitterness".

In the end, I like what you are saying. You make some great points. You are totally correct that we cannot achieve anything "hating ourselves". Good or bad, we are all Nigerians and you are indeed correct to note the patriotic diasporans Nigerians contributing to Nigeria because they are far more in number than other categories in the diaspora.

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by saintneo(m): 4:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
@thelastpope
dude! Not all Nigerians in diaspora are bitter about Nigeria & Nigerians. Some Nigerians might have had bad experiences in Naija but they still like Naija. There is no place like home.
Naija might not be as easy as the developed nations but we all have to push hard tomake it better

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by kokoye(m): 4:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
nagoma:

... which is so intence billious and malignant..

Someone get me a dictionary please!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by eelvismd(m): 4:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.

I love your use of words my bro. I can't help the laughter any more o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nagoma(m): 4:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.
In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.
Typical good for nothing parasite. A hitch-hiker who doesnt seem to realize that all those good things in the orderly environment are other peoples hard work. The didnt just happen.How about you coming down to do some work once in your life even if is killing a few mosquitoes.You could be counted in the list of the developers of Nigeria in 1000 years, but for now you are a whiteman's nigga and a pest.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nagoma(m): 4:22pm On Oct 05, 2012
kokoye:
Someone get me a dictionary please!

Sorry I meant to say intense.

bilious and malignant you should know. Afterall you live in oyinboland.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
@OP like you said, it's not all the Nigeria's in diaspora but some of them. Some of them sicken me. I am international student, so I'm in an out of the US like every year and when some of these my diaspora uncles/ aunties find out my school fees and the fact that I don't use any sort of loans or whatever, they begin to question my dads or mums integrity saying they must be looting money, like!! WTH? They earn salaries. Recently my mum came visiting and on Nigeria's independence she told one of my uncles "happy independence", he replied her with the same words too then later added "52 years of nonsense and failure", my mum got mad and told him that it's people like him that failed Nigeria and generally that's how I feel about these bitter diaspora Nigerians. It's funny how some feel they have ALL the ANWERS to the problems Nigeria is facing yet they are living with next to nothing. Some can't even acknowledge the fact that there are Nigerians making it in their homeland with no connection to corruption or whatsoever. That being said, I would repeat that not all diaspora Nigerians act this way and obviously there are Nigerians that would do anything to relocate to some western country because they are generally brainwashed that its all rosy on the other end.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by deluckiest(m): 4:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
Jenams: i call it transfered aggression, they actually thought it was all rosy in diaspora, but i'm too certain they met a brick wall, hence, they choose τ̅o locate anything nigerian both online & offline for attack! i ℓoℓ wen i watch them bn humilated on UK border force & †ЂΞ likes. They so pathetic! Wetin una find go anoda man backyard? ℓoℓ some of my cousins on facebook r guilty of dis trash. Unu sorry o

Hahaha..pls take it cool with them na, the op has already pampered them enough.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
adconline: Here is something to consider. It takes 6hrs for most flights from Naija to EU, so if GEJ gets heart attack, he's going to die before he gets to EU, but a Naija in EU gets that world class medical attention immediately.
You live in Naija with all ur money, your life span is less than 50 years, you live in EU/US your life span is above 70yrs.

just curious- can you, personally, tell me of any nigerian overseas who has resided permanently there (with minimal or no visits to naija) and lived to up to 70 years while doing so.

i dont seem to know of any, for some reason.

However, i do know of my grandparents who never set foot overseas in their lives, yet every one of them clocked over 80. Despite not being educated or having access to state of the art healthcare systems.

just wondering.

of course I'm not knocking abroad but one occasionally notices such things.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Gbawe, I am not entirely sure I understand why you are conceding ground here, despite @OP's blanket characterization of Nigerians abroad.
What bitterness do you speak off when most Nigerians based abroad go to great lengths to satisfy the whims of kindred (back home) who only see them as 'cash cows'?

Is it not the case that some of our "happier compatriots" make it abundantly clear on these boards that becoming "self-made" requires no more than the sale of one's principles? They sometimes travel in an e-convoy as our politicians are wont to do too.

If we are not being reminded about the miraculous feats of a god of Man (gOM) who just happened to have discovered the cure for AIDs, we are being scammed by land owners - who see us for the mugs we often are.
How can anyone talk about a nuisance value and not mention the forex traders who spend all day on NL making millions per the minute, while trying to win more converts to virtual pyramid scheme?

As someone who has been offered very good money to organise pro-government protests (rent-a-crowd) by thieving bast>ards based in Nigeria, I know well enough that corrupting influence travels in both directions.
At the very least, what @OP needs to do is tender an unreserved apology for making claims that fly in the face on empirical "facts" tendered by @Dede1 grin

My brother, it is not so much that I concede ground. I agree with a few things he said. He did acknowledge that many "patriotic" diasporans contributes possibly to Nigeria. Also, there are diasporan Nigerians who are over the top in their condemnation of Nigeria and Nigerians. My point to him is that I personally don't think most diasporans are in that category. Most diasporan Nigerians just resent what Nigeria is.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by eelvismd(m): 4:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, It is amusing to read talk about diasporan Nigerians envying their fellow Nigerians, based in Nigeria, "making millions". How many Nigerians are making millions? Besides, how are those millions spent if not to turn Private houses into fortresses and 'Islands' where citizens must provide their own electricity, water and security?

The misconception promoted about diasporans envying "better-off" home-based Nigerians is regrettable in my opinion. It stems from how Nigerians are materialistic and eager to quantify everything in relation to money. While some diasporan Nigerians may feel as you conclude , because of the "grass is greener" ethos, most are ultimately happy and pragmatically grateful they are not in Nigeria where it is "survival of the fittest" and a Paradise for the elites where ordinary folks are non-entities and virtually nothing works and you may still die of easily treatable ailments if you have no money.

A comparatively small number of folks may make millions in Nigeria but , for example, they will spend millions also attempting to educate their children privately , to the highest standard, only for that child to be no better than children of diasporans who have gone to State Schools in the West. Many things balance out.

Diasporans may work hard and face heavier tax/expenses obligations but a "cash and carry" society , dehumanising of as much as 60% of it's people, is not an envious model either.

I don't think anyone who truly puts issues in perspective would be comfortable with the model of nationhood Nigeria displays to the world. I.e hideous opulence for a few and terrible poverty for the majority. A better model would be a Nation where people, even if they feel they work too hard and pay too much taxes, still have all their basic needs guaranteed to the extent majority of citizens can enjoy a dignified existence.

May God bless you richly. I couldn't have said it better

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by IleIfe2(m): 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
Nigerians are not bitter, we are angry and disappointed. a bitter man is jealous and envious. Nigerians are not jealous of kleptomaniacs we have as leaders, we are angry and mad at them, and we should start acting against them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
The "real" Nigerians in diaspora and the "real" Nigerians in Nigeria do not post derogatory statements about nigeria or the diaspora.
The real Nigerians in diaspora are those that continually send money home to help their folks - if you hate nigeria, would you keep sending money?
The real Nigerians in nigeria are those that accept this money and continually pray for their brothers/sisters rather than opening up threads that spew hate.

How can you make a generalization that Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter. Of the millions of diasporans, how many do you know? Since when did nairaland become a reliable statistical database. How do you know that those who post on here and claim to be diasoporans are actually diasporans? Are you tracking IP addresses?
How can you make comments that diasporans live in 15s or 20s per room and come here to post. Trust me, the guys in diaspora that are still hustling do not even have time for nairaland because they are busy working 70plus hard hrs earning a living while still sending money back home to the same naija you claim they are bitter about.
Making generalisations without solid evidence to back you up is shallow and expected of an "illiterate".

The ones who post here are probably those who have the spare time due to some comfort in their lives e.g students, 9-5 workers. If they actually are as bitter, why would they keep coming back here?
Your job as a nigerian in nigeria is to actually encourage the diasporans to keep doing what they do because they are doing so much to help nigeria that you claim they are bitter about e.g the billions in wester union /money gram per year, the investments, the new ideas brought back to the country by repats etc.
Get a life and stop promoting hate among your fellow kinsmen.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by LongOne1(m): 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
OP, I am a Nigerian in Diaspora, and I am not bitter about the situation back home. Heck, I travel down there often, and even though the situation is positively depressing, I hope that one day, things will get better. In the meantime, I think of ways in which I can develop myself, so I can one day contribute positively.

Do not go around generalizing just because of a few bad eggs. Nice message, but wrong delivery – typically, what you would expect of a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bokohalal(m): 4:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
nagoma:

While we know that many Nigerians at home are also bitter, it is important to examine the diasporian bitterness which is so intence billious and malignant. They have special haterd for Nigeira and seem to be always hoping for destruction and actually fuelling hostility and disharmony.
Wow!
Bokoharam,OPC,Niger Delta militants etc are diasporans.
Pirates,cultists,armed robbers nko?
Zo,I am yet to see a house with barricades. Na ji?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, It is amusing to read talk about diasporan Nigerians envying their fellow Nigerians, based in Nigeria, "making millions". How many Nigerians are making millions? Besides, how are those millions spent if not to turn Private houses into fortresses and 'Islands' where citizens must provide their own electricity, water and security?

The misconception promoted about diasporans envying "better-off" home-based Nigerians is regrettable in my opinion. It stems from how Nigerians are materialistic and eager to quantify everything in relation to money. While some diasporan Nigerians may feel as you conclude , because of the "grass is greener" ethos, most are ultimately happy and pragmatically grateful they are not in Nigeria where it is "survival of the fittest" and a Paradise for the elites where ordinary folks are non-entities and virtually nothing works and you may still die of easily treatable ailments if you have no money.

A comparatively small number of folks may make millions in Nigeria but , for example, they will spend millions also attempting to educate their children privately , to the highest standard, only for that child to be no better than children of diasporans who have gone to State Schools in the West. Many things balance out.

Diasporans may work hard and face heavier tax/expenses obligations but a "cash and carry" society , dehumanising of as much as 60% of it's people, is not an envious model either.

I don't think anyone who truly puts issues in perspective would be comfortable with the model of nationhood Nigeria displays to the world. I.e hideous opulence for a few and terrible poverty for the majority. A better model would be a Nation where people, even if they feel they work too hard and pay too much taxes, still have all their basic needs guaranteed to the extent majority of citizens can enjoy a dignified existence.

You made great points, but wouldn't Nigeria be regarded as a first world nation if all these things were in place? That is generally what the country is aiming at....increasing the middle class, providing the basic amenities like power, education, healthcare, better roads, and putting the youths to work but all these cant be achieved in 5 years, Nigeria is growing at a pace and will eventually get there.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 4:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Please, when last were you in Nigeria ?

December, 2011.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by kolokolobi(m): 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
nigerians in diaspora tend to be bitter cos a lot of the possibilities they see out there are not rocket science and cant just get it why we cant organise ourselves well enough to get it right here. quite a few times i do agree. do you not feel the frustration of a nation without values....a nation where the law is broken and it seems eveything is normal....ill let you in on a joke....the police sent the report on their investigations on farookgate to the atourney general's office for legal advise....and for two months now farook though not yet proven guilty is still earning salaries and allowances from nigerian coffers. in saner climes the trial may have gone three quarters of the way with the culprits leaving instructions for family members on what should be done while they are in jail. so tell me why you wont feel frustrated and bitter when those in diaspora wonder what is going on here.

amb patrick dele cole was given a national merit award a few weeks back...did you know he collected commission while as amb to brazil cars were being imported to nigeria on the supply.need i say more.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ovie82000: 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
AND WHY SOME NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA ARE BITTER ABOUT NIGERIANS IN ABROAD............

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1:

December, 2011.

And the roads where death traps and all the other rubbish you were saying?.......I'm sure if all the roads are death traps like you were say, Nigeria will have a way lesser population by now.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by valdubem(m): 4:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Please, when last were you in Nigeria ?

why U dey ask dis kain question? The guy neva comot naija before oo; him just copy dis stuff from an article.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by redsun(m): 4:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
tpia@:

just curious- can you, personally, tell me of any nigerian overseas who has resided permanently there (with minimal or no visits to naija) and lived to up to 70 years while doing so.

i dont seem to know of any, for some reason.

However, i do know of my grandparents who never set foot overseas in their lives, yet every one of them clocked over 80. Despite not being educated or having access to state of the art healthcare systems.

just wondering.

of course I'm not knocking abroad but one occasionally notices such things.

It is no long the same in nigeria as regards your grand folks living into their eighties,against all odds.With all the chemicalized,adultrated,pesticized and "sugarized" oyinbo foods nigerians are eating right no,coupled with unchecked industrial and air pollutions,they dont stand much chance with whacked heath care.

The more africans are exposed to oyinbo way of life without due precautions,the more dangerous life becomes in africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, it is not so much that I concede ground. I agree with a few things he said. He did acknowledge that many "patriotic" diasporans contributes possibly to Nigeria. Also, there are diasporan Nigerians who are over the top in their condemnation of Nigeria and Nigerians. My point to him is that I personally don't think most diasporans are in that category. Most diasporan Nigerians just resent what Nigeria is.

I suppose we simply have differing views on the import of @OP's post.

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. [/b]I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by deluckiest(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
nagoma:
Typical good for nothing parasite. A hitch-hiker who doesnt seem to realize that all those good things in the orderly environment are other peoples hard work. The didnt just happen.How about you coming down to do some work once in your life even if is killing a few mosquitoes.You could be counted in the list of the developers of Nigeria in 1000 years, but for now you are a whiteman's nigga and a pest.

Let's stop the hate and embrace love.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by chuckdee4(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
Why don't we all just stop being bitter and carry on like the country is in a good way.
Then you wonder why our leaders have the guts to shit in our faces and walk on like nothing happened in the first place.

The 'e go better' nature of Nigerians is the reason why the likes of IBB, Bankole and OBJ can still walk the streets of Nigeria as free men.

You talk of diasporans being bitter, what you should ask yourself is why are they bitter? Nigeria is ruled by mediocrity, half of these guys in charge would be lucky to wash cars in civilized countries.
The Western world is far from perfect but issues diasporans face such as racism and unfair treatment can be reported to authorities who give a damn.
To think the OP has the sort of mindset is more worrying for the future of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 05, 2012
kolokolobi: nigerians in diaspora tend to be bitter cos a lot of the possibilities they see out there are not rocket science and cant just get it why we cant organise ourselves well enough to get it right here. quite a few times i do agree. do you not feel the frustration of a nation without values....a nation where the law is broken and it seems eveything is normal....ill let you in on a joke....the police sent the report on their investigations on farookgate to the atourney general's office for legal advise....and for two months now farook though not yet proven guilty is still earning salaries and allowances from nigerian coffers. in saner climes the trial may have gone three quarters of the way with the culprits leaving instructions for family members on what should be done while they are in jail. so tell me why you wont feel frustrated and bitter when those in diaspora wonder what is going on here.

amb patrick dele cole was given a national merit award a few weeks back...did you know he collected commission while as amb to brazil cars were being imported to nigeria on the supply.need i say more.
this is bullshyttt. the same nigerians in diaspora who supposedly hate lawlessness in nigeria go abroad and they are the most lawless. they commit all kinds of fraud, always looking for ways to cut corners and if you go to the bus-stop in peckham, while everyone is queueing the naijas amongst them are cutting in line. THE POINT HERE IS NIGERIANS ABROAD ARE NOT MAD AT LAWLESSNESS BECAUSE THEY THEMSELVES ARE LAWLESS, THEY ARE JUST MAD THAT THEY ARE NOT THE ONES IN THE POSITION OF AUTHORITY IN NIGERIA SO THAT THEY CAN STEAL BILLIONS TOO. THERIN LIES THE BITTERNESS grin grin AND YALL KNOW I AM SPEAKING THE TRUTH RUTH. YOU KEEP READING ABOUT HOW SOMEONE HAS STOLEN 100 MILLION POUNDS WHEN YOU IN DIASPORA ARE BURSTING YOUR GUTS FOR £40 AN HOUR WHICH AFTER TAX AND EVERY DEDUCTION YOU ARE LEFT WITH NOTHING. THIS IS THE SOURCE OF BITTERNESS. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 4:46pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu: @OP like you said, it's not all the Nigeria's in diaspora but some of them. Some of them sicken me. I am international student, so I'm in an out of the US like every year and when some of these my diaspora uncles/ aunties find out my school fees and the fact that I don't use any sort of loans or whatever, they begin to question my dads or mums integrity saying they must be looting money, like!! WTH? They earn salaries. Recently my mum came visiting and on Nigeria's independence she told one of my uncles "happy independence", he replied her with the same words too then later added "52 years of nonsense and failure", my mum got mad and told him that it's people like him that failed Nigeria and generally that's how I feel about these bitter diaspora Nigerians. It's funny how some feel they have ALL the ANWERS to the problems Nigeria is facing yet they are living with next to nothing. Some can't even acknowledge the fact that there are Nigerians making it in their homeland with no connection to corruption or whatsoever. That being said, I would repeat that not all diaspora Nigerians act this way and obviously there are Nigerians that would do anything to relocate to some western country because they are generally brainwashed that its all rosy on the other end.

You simply can not eat your cake and have it. Why international student if I may ask you? I guess Nigeria schools are better than schools outside the country. If I were in your shoes as you would want us to believe, I had shunned the idea of studying outside the shores of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by hardbody: 4:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!

Na wa oo. Bros u sef sound bitter. Take it easy nah, you can make the same point without sounding pugilistic.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bokohalal(m): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1:

You simply can not eat your cake and have it. Why international student if I may ask you? I guess Nigeria schools are better than schools outside the country. If I were in your shoes as you would want us to believe, I had shunned the idea of studying outside the shores of Nigeria.
Bros,tank u.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 4:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
adconline: Ask your politicians and their friends why they want to die abroad. Stella OBJ , Yaradua and Patience all sought medical treatment abroad. A Nigerian in abroad is light years ahead of you. Get over it! Their abode is your dream. Ask your politicians, rich and powerful.

LOOL Please whose dream?

Politicians rich and powerful in Naija would love to live in EU/US if they could still be powerful. Why are they buying properties and investments over there? Why do they shop over there? Why are their kids studying over there? Go to EU/US embassies in Naija and see number of people applying for visa. Before you respond, check your gen set to see if there is enough petrol to last you till 12am. Check your GSM to see if there is network, check your bathroom if there is water. BTW, have you pressed your shirt and trousers for work/business before PHCN cuts you off? Is your bank ATM working? Is your bank network working? IS your flight going to be grounded/cancelled because of FAAN? Be worried about you and your Nigeria.
Your dream? Not being harassed by thieves, kidnappers ,boko haram,police and thugs. having a 24/7 constant power,having a telephone network that works, having a bank ATM machine that actually works and dispenses cash-
By living in Niaja, you have sentenced yourself to a shorter lifespan of less than 50 years, while someone who escapes that chaos gains over 25 years.

YOU LIVE IN DELUSION OF GRANDEUR = NIGERIA

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Akpabio’s Vehicle Collided With Ours – US Embassy / Ex-Reps Speaker, Ghali Na’abba Is Dead / Boko-Haram Seeks Bullet Proof Jazz From Oyo State!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.