Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:56 PM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30682 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.
typical example of who this thread is all about. Keep cryin over mosquito & snake bite while Ūя̅ mates back home rake in millions into their accounts.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.
typical example of who this thread is all about. Keep cryin over mosquito & snake bite while Ūя̅ mates back home rake in millions into their accounts.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arkti3(m): 3:13pm On Oct 05, 2012
ballabriggs:

Hehehehe Dede inyoburule. For the very first time I have to agree with an omekome like you.

My brother abeg tell that FOOL.....he was deported from the UK that's why he's angry. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 3:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
@OP

I don't know if it is entirely "bitterness". I think Nigerians in the diaspora have a patronising attitude towards Nigeria. Not good I concede, but I don't think you can entirely blame them for that. We cannot always reduce everything to money and frustration either. Some diasporans are just extremely upset at the slow pace of things back home. Always negative news of extreme corruption, terrorism, lawlessness and general lack of progress.

They see things that would be done ,in days, in their diasporan Nation take several decades to achieve in Nigeria. Many diasporans are just disappointed and this can lead to their negative outlook , towards Nigeria, you term "bitterness".

In the end, I like what you are saying. You make some great points. You are totally correct that we cannot achieve anything "hating ourselves". Good or bad, we are all Nigerians and you are indeed correct to note the patriotic diasporans Nigerians contributing to Nigeria because they are far more in number than other categories in the diaspora.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
Jenams: typical example of who this thread is all about. Keep cryin over mosquito & snake bite while Ūя̅ mates back home rake in millions into their accounts.

Your stream of thought is the basic conflict of this discussion. Everybody should not rake millions into an account to be regarded as human. In USA, whether a customer of any bank had deposit of $100.00 or $1, 000,000, he or she attracts the same cordial respect from the bank.

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arkti3(m): 3:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

I know a few Nigerians, who live in Nigeria like you, are bitter. But you are a small minority. Most Nigerians are not happy with the state of affairs but will not ridicule or insult their country.

Yea.....that's true.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2012
ndu_chucks: There is always something frustrating about being stuck abroad while your mates are making millions back home. They blame Nigerian leaders for their failure while ignoring the fact that they themselves have personally contributed zilch towards the betterment of Nigeria. These people are in effect worse than the leaders they are quick to attack

Let me also add that a few of them return to run for various offices and start businesses, but these are exceptions.

My brother, It is amusing to read talk about diasporan Nigerians envying their fellow Nigerians, based in Nigeria, "making millions". How many Nigerians are making millions? Besides, how are those millions spent if not to turn Private houses into fortresses and 'Islands' where citizens must provide their own electricity, water and security?

The misconception promoted about diasporans envying "better-off" home-based Nigerians is regrettable in my opinion. It stems from how Nigerians are materialistic and eager to quantify everything in relation to money. While some diasporan Nigerians may feel as you conclude , because of the "grass is greener" ethos, most are ultimately happy and pragmatically grateful they are not in Nigeria where it is "survival of the fittest" and a Paradise for the elites where ordinary folks are non-entities and virtually nothing works and you may still die of easily treatable ailments if you have no money.

A comparatively small number of folks may make millions in Nigeria but , for example, they will spend millions also attempting to educate their children privately , to the highest standard, only for that child to be no better than children of diasporans who have gone to State Schools in the West. Many things balance out.

Diasporans may work hard and face heavier tax/expenses obligations but a "cash and carry" society , dehumanising of as much as 60% of it's people, is not an envious model either.

I don't think anyone who truly puts issues in perspective would be comfortable with the model of nationhood Nigeria displays to the world. I.e hideous opulence for a few and terrible poverty for the majority. A better model would be a Nation where people, even if they feel they work too hard and pay too much taxes, still have all their basic needs guaranteed to the extent majority of citizens can enjoy a dignified existence.

20 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by stagger: 3:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
Most of them (90%) are frustrated and cannot come back out of shame because they have nothing to show. Some of us that have been there briefly and decided to come back were not fools.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by redsun(m): 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
It is the frustration of seeing you people down yonder live like rats,dog eat dogs and you dont seem to notice.Most of you have cable stateliite,ascess to to the internet,yet,you cant see that the world has moved on.

Being ruled by criminals and what you know as norms and precedences seems to be all the negatives of life,yet,you think a rational person will only but feel pity for you.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by AjanleKoko: 3:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, It is amusing to read talk about diasporan Nigerians envying their fellow Nigerians, based in Nigeria, "making millions". How many Nigerians are making millions? Besides, how are those millions spent if not to turn Private houses into fortresses and 'Islands' where citizens must provide their own electricity, water and security?

The misconception promoted about diasporans envying "better-off" home-based Nigerians is regrettable in my opinion. It stems from how Nigerians are materialistic and eager to quantify everything in relation to money. While some diasporan Nigerians may feel as you conclude , because of the "grass is greener" ethos, most are ultimately happy and pragmatically grateful they are not in Nigeria where it is "survival of the fittest" and a Paradise for the elites where ordinary folks are non-entities and virtually nothing works and you may still die of easily treatable ailments if you have no money.

A comparatively small number of folks may make millions in Nigeria but , for example, they will spend millions also attempting to educate their children privately , to the highest standard, only for that child to be no better than children of diasporans who have gone to State Schools in the West. Many things balance out.

Diasporans may work hard and face heavier tax/expenses obligations but a "cash and carry" society , dehumanising of as much as 60% of it's people, is not an envious model either.

I don't think anyone who truly puts issues in perspective would be comfortable with the model of nationhood Nigeria displays to the world. I.e hideous opulence for a few and terrible poverty for the majority. A better model would be a Nation where people, even if they feel they work too hard and pay too much taxes, still have all their basic needs guaranteed to the extent majority of citizens can enjoy a dignified existence.

Well said.
There is very little that is of any value in Nigeria. Yes, it is our country. However, it does not work, and the frustration with everyday living can drive any sane person nuts. All this talk about money sef. Which money? With all our monies, our backyards are lined with 50-liter jerricans.

Also, people in Nigeria should forget about the people in the diaspora for crying out loud. We that are back home, let us work to fix our country. People should stop chasing shadows and looking for distractions.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Afam4eva(m): 3:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Well said.
There is very little that is of any value in Nigeria. Yes, it is our country. However, it does not work, and the frustration with everyday living can drive any sane person nuts. All this talk about money sef. Which money? With all our monies, our backyards are lined with 50-liter jerricans.

Also, people in Nigeria should forget about the people in the diaspora for crying out loud. We that are back home, let us work to fix our country. People should stop chasing shadows and looking for distractions.
I doubt if the ones at home can fix the country because the country has already fixed them into a tight spot. It's very difficult for them to think out of the box.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 3:51pm On Oct 05, 2012
ballabriggs:

Hehehehe Dede inyoburule. For the very first time I have to agree with an omekome like you.

ballabricks

I know common sense does not exist in your miserable life. However it is good to understand you appreciate intellectual discussion when your junkie mind is not tribally tinted, olodo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by AjanleKoko: 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
afam4eva:
I doubt if the ones at home can fix the country because the country has already fixed them into a tight spot. It's very difficult for them to think out of the box.

That's why people keep coming up with threads like this.
Total waste of typing time.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by redsun(m): 3:55pm On Oct 05, 2012
Success in nigeria is characterize by how much an individual is able to steal from the system and buy the respect of fo-oolish gullible nigerians who even in the universities will be aiming to come out,irrespective of his or her brainwashed education and become a big thief with ogbonggbo minus grammer minus common sense.That is the vicious circle in nigeria.

A fundamentally flawed projection of society,human endeavours and fulfillments.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by achinu(m): 3:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
Bitter about what? The insecurity, bad roads, no electricity, everyone trying to get over on you, lack of basic necessities? Look, I cannot speak for everyone Diaspora but whenever I visit naija even though I am glad to see my family & friends, I always look forward to returning back to my base where things work like they ought to. If some folks in Diaspora seem bitter, it's because most Nigerians have settled for mediocrity & less than they deserve. I contemplated splitting my time btw naija & my base but there are just certain things that I cannot deal with in Naija, my sanity is just too important for me to deal with all the horse shyte naija has to offer grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
iykak47: Op you mean Nigerians in diaspora are bitter while those in Naija are happy? Maybe happy over corruption, boko haram and death traps we call roads.

And I'm pretty sure you guys have it all...heavenly roads, no corruption, no terrorist group, no racist crime, no burglary, robbery, nothing like someone coming into the cinema and shooting people randomly......I'm sure it's all Rosy for you guys.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
Arkt!^3:

My brother abeg tell that FOOL.....he was deported from the UK that's why he's angry. grin

It is nice to notice your acts of buffoonery in the public arena.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Ask your politicians and their friends why they want to die abroad. Stella OBJ , Yaradua and Patience all sought medical treatment abroad. A Nigerian in abroad is light years ahead of you. Get over it! Their abode is your dream. Ask your politicians, rich and powerful.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe: @OP

I don't know if it is entirely "bitterness". I think Nigerians in the diaspora have a patronising attitude towards Nigeria. Not good I concede, but I don't think you can entirely blame them for that. We cannot always reduce everything to money and frustration either. Some diasporans are just extremely upset at the slow pace of things back home. Always negative news of extreme corruption, terrorism, lawlessness and general lack of progress.

They see things that can would be done ,in days, in their diasporan Nation take several decades to achieve in Nigeria. Many diasporans are just disappointed and this can lead to their negative outlook , towards Nigeria, you term "bitterness".

In the end, I like what you are saying. You make some great points. You are totally correct that we cannot achieve anything "hating ourselves". Good or bad, we are all Nigerians and you are indeed correct to note the patriotic diasporans Nigerians contributing to Nigeria because they are far more in number than other categories in the diaspora.

Gbawe, I am not entirely sure I understand why you are conceding ground here, despite @OP's blanket characterization of Nigerians abroad.
What bitterness do you speak off when most Nigerians based abroad go to great lengths to satisfy the whims of kindred (back home) who only see them as 'cash cows'?

Is it not the case that some of our "happier compatriots" make it abundantly clear on these boards that becoming "self-made" requires no more than the sale of one's principles? They sometimes travel in an e-convoy as our politicians are wont to do too.

If we are not being reminded about the miraculous feats of a god of Man (gOM) who just happened to have discovered the cure for AIDs, we are being scammed by land owners - who see us for the mugs we often are.
How can anyone talk about a nuisance value and not mention the forex traders who spend all day on NL making millions per the minute, while trying to win more converts to virtual pyramid scheme?

As someone who has been offered very good money to organise pro-government protests (rent-a-crowd) by thieving bast>ards based in Nigeria, I know well enough that corrupting influence travels in both directions.
At the very least, what @OP needs to do is tender an unreserved apology for making claims that fly in the face on empirical "facts" tendered by @Dede1 grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2012

Please, when last were you in Nigeria ?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by greaterlove(m): 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
its a common practice with we nigerians, its not only attributed to those in diaspora. those in the city will always want to prove that those in the rural areas are savages, everybody wants to oppress, the rich wants to oppress the poor and those in diaspora will want to oppress those in nigeria with their new found knowledge and accent, our proffessors and politicians will always brag about the standard of education and scholarships they got and how they were served chicken with cheap meal tickets in the university, but they will never do anything to make the citizens enjoy what they had. my guy its not just because they are in the diaspora, this 'you no know who i be?' ' wetin you know?' is already in the blood.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
We don't hate Nigeria.

We just don't feel Nigeria is treating us well. The main aim for most of us is to get a more competitive education and create more opportunities for ourselves, but the fact that we are Nigerians is sometimes a burden that we have to bear. However, I still rep 9ja in public, but privately i am like ''What the f*ck''.

We do try to assist our immediate circle of influence (friends, family) and we are learning new cultures of orderliness, lawfulness and sanity, so it's always a culture shock all over again when we visit and things back home seem totally different from what we have become accustomed to. Then you come online to discuss with your own, just to realize that you have been categorized by tribe/ethnicity/region and labelled as either a terrorist, drug dealer or prostitute.

It just makes you wonder, how did i end up here.

So we don't hate Nigeria, it's just that it seems to be getting messed up. If i can help out people in my circle and you do same, hopefully things will get marginally better for us in the 'old middle class'

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
adconline: Ask your politicians and their friends why they want to die abroad. Stella OBJ , Yaradua and Patience all sought medical treatment abroad. A Nigerian in abroad is light years ahead of you. Get over it! Their abode is your dream. Ask your politicians, rich and powerful.

LOOL Please whose dream?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!
grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Twy: 4:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
To the OP. I think your take is quite pedestrian. It seems more like a jingo coming from the mouth of a politician. It is okay for me for some section of diaporeans to dislike Nigeria and okay for me for some home based Nigerians to dislike some aspects of the country. The point I am making is that to make a country better, it is best to help dignose the significant problems afflicting it and bitterness by some in dispora is minuscle to the problem at large, in fact it may help to diagnose the problem by asking what are they bitter about? I know thata lot of Nigerian abroad get a lot of criticism when they come home and don't take the usually nonsense, but those at home to have to realise some of the things like extra marital infidelity, corruption (in which >75% support in one way or the other), lack of employment opportunities, inflation, over dependence on imports, lack of customer service are things to be concerned and be deeply disliked in other to remedy the situation without a deep concern for something you can well adapt to it. First of all, a large scale brain drain is a significant indicator of a problem in the country and a rise in the population of bitter diasporeans frankly is not good for the country.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by redsun(m): 4:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

And I'm pretty sure you guys have it all...heavenly roads, no corruption, no terrorist group, no racist crime, no burglary, robbery, nothing like someone coming into the cinema and shooting people randomly......I'm sure it's all Rosy for you guys.

You guys just think nigeria is only yours because you live there.By the time we come home,people like you will be placed where you belong if you refuse to sharpen up and the country will be sanitized.

A good example of sanitization is what fashola is doing in lagos,minus tinubu magomago.It is not going to come easy,but it has start from somewhere.It requires sensible rules being made that people will abide by sensibly.And most of all,accountabilities on all sides,all must be accountable for there to be a functional society.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 4:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Look, nowhere is paradise. We then have to deal with the concept of what obtains for the majority. Doing that will quickly make you see that ,whatever you say, many diasporans are averagely better off than their counterparts in Nigeria.

It is not about pointing to the Senator, Otedola-type oligarch or political jobber, with their ten ten policement per big man "baller lifestyle", as proof Nigerians in Nigeria are better off that those abroad are simply envious. We should always look at the majority and how they live. That is how it is done worldwide.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by solomonkane(m): 4:10pm On Oct 05, 2012
@OP: Nigerians in the diaspora have something to compare Nigeria to hence their bitterness. They see somethings (not everything) working well in their adopted nations and they wonder why their homeland cannot be the same way. Yes some are unbelievably arrogant and patronizing but not all of them. Nigerians in the diaspora used to remit about $12Billion annually before the recession, now its reduced to something like $5 billion. I laugh at the "people making millions in Nigeria" analogy. What is the ratio of that to the general population who are not making millions. Fact is Nigerians; home and abroad are angry, singling out only the ones in the diaspora is beyond dumb. Nigerians do not hate Nigeria, if you want to know, let another national abuse Nigeria and see how Nigerians react. When Rick Ross made his controversial video, Nigerians in the diaspora were the biggest critics so stop with the generalization, everybody must not think the way you do.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nagoma(m): 4:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
bokohalal: The topic should read"why are some Nigerians in diaspora and at home so bitter?"

While we know that many Nigerians at home are also bitter, it is important to examine the diasporian bitterness which is so intense bilious and malignant. They have special haterd for Nigeira and seem to be always hoping for destruction and actually fuelling hostility and disharmony.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Siga: 4:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
So with all the so-called millions they are raking in....how come dem no get rest of mind....Why is it all about Money money money

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by deshclones(m): 4:13pm On Oct 05, 2012
Sagamite is a perfect definition of frustrated nigerian eking out a living on the lonely deserted streets of aberdeen...dude is slowly loosing his lil sense of sanity.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / Governor Shettima Climbs On Top Of A Car, Dances With APC Broom. Shocks Nigerian / EFCC Forced Me To Admit Taking N30 Million From Diezani - INEC Official(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.