Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,581 members, 7,958,793 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30723 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Burger01(m): 1:10am On Oct 06, 2012
van bonattel:

Dont mind them with their lame excuses, instead of admitting he has no money to visit or that his papers are incomplete
Mostly, papers are incomplete.. I know of two same blood brothers who travelled the uk over 8 years ago. During this period their mum departed and we all thought they would come home for their mum"s burial rites. Believe you me, we did not see either of them. On the said burial day, the elder brother who is my friend called and asked me sebi I know how jand be like nau, that he couldn't just come home like that. I answered sure I knew. Bottom line, no papers to travel come naija come do mum's burial. Visa got expired and he probably apllied for asylum.. Naija people in diaspora, wake up. Come out of your delusions...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by dare2think: 1:22am On Oct 06, 2012
Alot of self-delusion/ self denial going on. It is only natural to go into over-drive when under scrutiny!

Fact is; I dont think it is anybody's father's business that some folks go abroad to better their lives in anyway they deem fit. Likewise is anybody's farher's business that some chose to stay behind.

Nigerians both home and abroad contribute to the welfare of Nigeria in one way or another. And both groups have the right to criticise in any way they see fit.

To claim dominion or advantage over another is ridiculous and myopic. There are Nigerian millionaires both home and abroad. And there are suffer heads both home and abroad. It is inevitable.  

The op is very ignorant  and is projecting  is bitterness to a group if nigerians that made individual choices to travel out. Some of these folks have raised families abroad or were even born abroad. They criticise 9ger because they have that right to do so just as you criticise them as well. This is not a military regime where fos is curtailed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by portage(m): 1:24am On Oct 06, 2012
ballabriggs: It is simple. You live in a country that does not have a quarter of the resources Nigeria has but they are able to organise themselves and use the little they have to uplift humanity. We cannot simply provide basic healthcare for our people in spite of the resources we have, how pathetic. You call it corruption, I call it cannibalism. It is people eating their own. True talk there and may God bless you.

Secondly it is absolutely false to say these guys do not contribute anything to Nigeria. Part of their earnings are capital flows to Nigeria in the form of remittances. That is a source of foreign exchange earnings to Nigeria. Also most of them spend their time studying abroad. That is contributing to the stock of human capital for Nigeria. I sincerely hope they realize this valid point In addition, some of them have foundations and societies that contribute to development in Nigeria. For example, some of my relatives and I in the US and the UK have a foundation and we know how much that foundation has contributed to humanity in Abonema our immediate constituency.

It is myopic to think most of them make no contribution to uplift Nigeria. They are not under any obligation to make known what they have done. The mere fact that they contribute in debates on Nairaland brings a diverse perspective Most Nigerians back home are myopic now to issues and the least that should be done is to appreciate them as Nigerians interested in Nigeria and not vilify them.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by dare2think: 1:37am On Oct 06, 2012
Burger01:
Mostly, papers are incomplete.. I know of two same blood  brothers who travelled the uk over 8 years ago. During this  period their mum departed and we all thought they would come home for their mum"s burial rites. Believe you me, we did not see either of them. On the said burial day, the elder brother who is my friend called and asked me sebi I know how jand be like nau, that he couldn't just come home like that. I answered sure I knew. Bottom line, no papers to travel come naija come do mum's burial. Visa got expired and he probably apllied for asylum.. Naija people in diaspora, wake up. Come out of your delusions...  

Do you know what tommorow has in store for them? You are already diminishing them, as though some people in Nigeria don't experience worse. No place is a bed if roses, and only they - the protagonists- in your story know what's best for them. Do they tell you how to run your own life?

People get stuck anywhere in life? Be it papers, money, or whatever.  People in diaspora should not make it seem as if all is rosy there, but people in Nigeria do not have the right to do the same either!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by james1(m): 1:50am On Oct 06, 2012
Its bad been away,terrible been in the wrong climes.they see a working country and want nigeria to be like that,overnight.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Burger01(m): 1:58am On Oct 06, 2012
dare2think:

Do you know what tommorow has in store for them? You are already diminishing them, as though some people in Nigeria don't experience worse. No place is a bed if roses, and only they - the protagonists- in your story know what's best for them. Do they tell you how to run your own life?

People get stuck anywhere in life? Be it papers, money, or whatever.  People in diaspora should not make it seem as if all is rosy there, but people in Nigeria do not have the right to do the same either!
Sir, I am not deminishing them. I am just saying facts and what they are faced with. Thank you sir. Its well with us all.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by kennyeast(m): 2:28am On Oct 06, 2012
Funny thread,
@ op, I think u have a hanging bitterness about those in diaspora and see these reasons of urs as a means of venting it.
Who is happy about the situation of Nigeria? SUFFERING AND SMILING, why is it that ppl don't like it when u call a spade a spade?
U said Nigerians in diaspora don't contribute to the economy, let me tell u, every nigerian abroad sends more than 60% of their savings home into Nigerian banks, so u don't think that has any effect on the economy?
Someone made mention of Nigerians at home racking millions into their account, I'll tell u the truth, America is not as rossy as we think back in Nigeria, trust me I don't have millions in my account but the kind of comfort I live in with the little I get after tax, talking about my car and my apartment, so many millionaire back home can't afford it.
Finally, I know nigerians back home who call Nigeria hell fire. I knw some of us in diaspora go to the xtreem at times but its definitely not worth the thread.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by mickjagger(m): 2:41am On Oct 06, 2012
HiiiPower: Are those road sweepers at Euston and Victoria stations diasporans?
Are those on early morning cleaning also diasporans?
Are the security guards diasporans?
Are the care workers and factory workers diasporans?
Those are the majority of Nigerians outside Nigeria.
Heck, they live hand to mouth daily. Yet in the process
of gagging and trying to create new identities, they label themselves
as "diasporans" just to feel better than the rest. It's naff!

I'm Nigerian and I love Nigeria.

grin grin grin

Go easy on them FOOLS, lol!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Anyigala(m): 2:49am On Oct 06, 2012
Nigerians in diaspora are disappointed not bitter. Disappointed because when you have lived in a country where things work the way they should and your country is not making any progress its bound to frustrate you and maybe to some extent make you bitter. Sometimes one has to get out of the box to see how uncomfortable the box really is.
A friend came to visit me from Nigeria and I was driving around town explaining to her why we cannot back in a double yellow and red line marks on the road. She she told me that she cannot wait to go back to Lagos that UK has so many rules. This is a clear case of stepping out of box to see how bad the box is,unfortunately my friend still couldn't see it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by MacLovington(m): 3:35am On Oct 06, 2012
HiiiPower: What's "diasporan?"
I saw more than 50 Nigerian road sweepers on my way from work,
are they also "diasporan?" Life's hard everywhere and we all need
some senses knocked back into our oblong skulls, that we're Nigerians
no matter where we find ourselves.

If you feel "foreign" because you have lived outside Nigeria for a while,
then something is wrong with you. Those from those countries built their countries,
and they will discard you when your services are no longer needed.

Silly Nigerian buffoons!

Would you prefer them to be fraudsters instead of cleaners?

I know of a Nigerian former cleaner in diaspora who set up business now employing about 6 people in Lagos.

Another street sweeper (with a degree from a top Naija university) was able to save up enough money to build a house, two cars and some money for investment. He has returned to Naija since. I thought he was dreaming when he told of of his plans years earlier.
Those cleaners you see are very determined. There's dignity in labour.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by linearity: 3:37am On Oct 06, 2012
ndu_chucks: There is always something frustrating about being stuck abroad while your mates are making millions back home. They blame Nigerian leaders for their failure while ignoring the fact that they themselves have personally contributed zilch towards the betterment of Nigeria. These people are in effect worse than the leaders they are quick to attack

Let me also add that a few of them return to run for various offices and start businesses, but these are exceptions.

According to world bank, Nigerian in diaspora pulp over $10b into the Nigeria economy in 2011.

They did this without been a burden on the system, without using Nigeria resources,roads or pollute the environment with waste, etc....pure $10b cash dump....Yes, you living in Nigeria also contributes into the economy by spending your hard earned money....but you use that money to buy fuel for your car to pollute the environment, fuel on your generator to pollute, you contribute to waste in wastelands across Nigeria, you consume Nigeria electricity, water, roads, public parks, zoo, bridges, hospitals, stadium, etc......Ask yourself, who have done a better net contribution towards the betterment of Nigeria, you that burden and live off the system while you make your contributions or someone who does it without living off the system?

OP, you paint with too wide a brush. Home based and diaspora Nigerians are all the same. There is no place like home. Many diaspora are just frustrated because they have seen simple things work elsewhere except their beloved home. If they do not care, they would be coming to sites like these or bordering to post. We all have the same objectives but are going about it differently because of our different perspectives.

Just like you are making millions in Nigeria, many Nigerians abroad are also making millions....just like they are jobless Nigerians on the streets of Nigeria, the same is applicable to some Nigerians abroad. I think you should thank God for many Nigerians that have left Nigeria, because they make the competition at home less fierce thereby giving you the space and time to make your millions. Imagine what the situation would be if all Nigerians in diaspora relocate and add their demands to the limited resources available in Nigeria today?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by MacLovington(m): 4:06am On Oct 06, 2012
Burger01:
Mostly, papers are incomplete.. I know of two same blood brothers who travelled the uk over 8 years ago. During this period their mum departed and we all thought they would come home for their mum"s burial rites. Believe you me, we did not see either of them. On the said burial day, the elder brother who is my friend called and asked me sebi I know how jand be like nau, that he couldn't just come home like that. I answered sure I knew. Bottom line, no papers to travel come naija come do mum's burial. Visa got expired and he probably apllied for asylum.. Naija people in diaspora, wake up. Come out of your delusions...

I also know of somebody who couldn't go home because he had exhausted all his annual leave at work and compassionate leave is only 3 days! He had all his papers. Rules have to be followed in some climes.

Your cousins were not the eldest children. Going would have been good though if they were able to. But many other circumstances could have caused it. For example, the waiting list at Naija High Commsion in London for passport processing can be up to 6 or 7 months after online payment! I waited for over 5 months for my daughter's. Except you pay £600 under the table. Meanwhile her British Kpale took 6 days to process. Oyinbo value their citizens.

A friend's elder brother told him not to bother to come for their dad's funeral and should instead add the ticket money to the money he was remitting to Naija for the funeral! I advised to go to Naija and pay khis last respects to his dad because years down the line the senior brother could boast with it that he single-handedly did their father's funeral while you remained abroad. I have seen such cases before.

Home Office (immigration) process of obtaining a residence permit can also take ages in their office. It took someone I know nearly 2 years as they kept asking for more documents. Maybe there were other details e didn't tell me. Meanwhile he had just used his 5 years stay and visited Naija many times.

I know of a youth corper wasn't given leave from camp for her grandmother's burial even in that same Naija. Civil servants in Naija only get a few days compassionte leave.

A friend's father died when his papers were being processed for 5 years stay at immigration. He couldn't go. His mother died five years later while his papers was being processed for indefinite leave (IL). He couldn't go. I guess some people would be saying he's illegal abroad going by your reasoning.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by TippyTop(m): 5:20am On Oct 06, 2012
Those whinning at the OP have not bothered reading what the OP said on page one. I feel ashamed when I see some post by diasporan Nigerians refering to Nigeria as a "poo place", "a dung" etc. Some dolts here tried blaming it on frustration, but if anyone is frustrated about Nigeria, it must be the ones living in Nigeria who are most frustrated, telling Nigerians what they already know is a no brainer.

Anyigala: Nigerians in diaspora are disappointed not bitter. Disappointed because when you have lived in a country where things work the way they should and your country is not making any progress its bound to frustrate you and maybe to some extent make you bitter.

If you're disappointed, try and effect a change and stop justifying these people who're frustrated with life abroad. Mind you, I've lived abroad long enough to know home is Nigeria, I wish you and the rest of your ilk realize one day you don't belong where you are now.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 6:32am On Oct 06, 2012
The fundamental problem here is actually the way many Nigerians see Nigeria. One expression that borders me is the use of the term "they". I don't understand why some Nigerians use the term "they should provide security". Whi her "they". This mindset of us and them when we refer to government is one of the fundamental problems of Nigeria. We probably developed this mentality during the military years but its really wrong. The government is not "they". The government is us. When we understand this, everything will change.

The idea that about 100 people sitting in Aso Rock villa and another 1000 people sitting in the NASS decides every aspect of our lives in just dumb and a lazy excuse for failure. Ask yourselves how countries like germany came back after the 1st and second world wars. These Nigerian haters seem to give the impression that no other country has been this financially and socially backward before but that isn't true. The difference in that in other countries, everyone came together to change it. In Nigeria's case, people are walking away and abandoning the project and crying from whereever they are that someone else should change it. Its called trying to eat your cake and having it. You can't reap from where you didn't sow
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Burger01(m): 6:39am On Oct 06, 2012
MacLovington: .

I also know of somebody who couldn't go home because he had exhausted all his annual leave at work and compassionate leave is only 3 days! He had all his papers. Rules have to be followed in some climes.

Your cousins were not the eldest children. Going would have been good though if they were able to. But many other circumstances could have caused it. For example, the waiting list at Naija High Commsion in London for passport processing can be up to 6 or 7 months after online payment! I waited for over 5 months for my daughter's. Except you pay £600 under the table. Meanwhile her British Kpale took 6 days to process. Oyinbo value their citizens.

A friend's elder brother told him not to bother to come for their dad's funeral and should instead add the ticket money to the money he was remitting to Naija for the funeral! I advised to go to Naija and pay khis last respects to his dad because years down the line the senior brother could boast with it that he single-handedly did their father's funeral while you remained abroad. I have seen such cases before.

Home Office (immigration) process of obtaining a residence permit can also take ages in their office. It took someone I know nearly 2 years as they kept asking for more documents. Maybe there were other details e didn't tell me. Meanwhile he had just used his 5 years stay and visited Naija many times.

I know of a youth corper wasn't given leave from camp for her grandmother's burial even in that same Naija. Civil servants in Naija only get a few days compassionte leave.

A friend's father died when his papers were being processed for 5 years stay at immigration. He couldn't go. His mother died five years later while his papers was being processed for indefinite leave (IL). He couldn't go. I guess some people would be saying he's illegal abroad going by your reasoning.
I think I understand You may be correct to some extents... Thank you sir..
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 6:42am On Oct 06, 2012
kennyeast: Funny thread,
@ op, I think u have a hanging bitterness about those in diaspora and see these reasons of urs as a means of venting it.
Who is happy about the situation of Nigeria? SUFFERING AND SMILING, why is it that ppl don't like it when u call a spade a spade?
U said Nigerians in diaspora don't contribute to the economy, let me tell u, every nigerian abroad sends more than 60% of their savings home into Nigerian banks, so u don't think that has any effect on the economy?
Someone made mention of Nigerians at home racking millions into their account, I'll tell u the truth, America is not as rossy as we think back in Nigeria, trust me I don't have millions in my account but the kind of comfort I live in with the little I get after tax, talking about my car and my apartment, so many millionaire back home can't afford it.
Finally, I know nigerians back home who call Nigeria hell fire. I knw some of us in diaspora go to the xtreem at times but its definitely not worth the thread.

This post is really not an attack on Nigerians in diaspora but an attack on the idea of hating and running your country down. Those of you living abroad have a right to but running your country down with every opportunity is just wrong. Who will build it? Americans?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nduchucks: 6:49am On Oct 06, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, It is amusing to read talk about diasporan Nigerians envying their fellow Nigerians, based in Nigeria, "making millions". How many Nigerians are making millions? Besides, how are those millions spent if not to turn Private houses into fortresses and 'Islands' where citizens must provide their own electricity, water and security?

The misconception promoted about diasporans envying "better-off" home-based Nigerians is regrettable in my opinion. It stems from how Nigerians are materialistic and eager to quantify everything in relation to money. While some diasporan Nigerians may feel as you conclude , because of the "grass is greener" ethos, most are ultimately happy and pragmatically grateful they are not in Nigeria where it is "survival of the fittest" and a Paradise for the elites where ordinary folks are non-entities and virtually nothing works and you may still die of easily treatable ailments if you have no money.

A comparatively small number of folks may make millions in Nigeria but , for example, they will spend millions also attempting to educate their children privately , to the highest standard, only for that child to be no better than children of diasporans who have gone to State Schools in the West. Many things balance out.

Diasporans may work hard and face heavier tax/expenses obligations but a "cash and carry" society , dehumanising of as much as 60% of it's people, is not an envious model either.

I don't think anyone who truly puts issues in perspective would be comfortable with the model of nationhood Nigeria displays to the world. I.e hideous opulence for a few and terrible poverty for the majority. A better model would be a Nation where people, even if they feel they work too hard and pay too much taxes, still have all their basic needs guaranteed to the extent majority of citizens can enjoy a dignified existence.

Oga sir, you completely missed the mark this time arround. Your epistle does nothing to nullify the fact that the diasporans I referenced in my post, majority of who are working very hard abroad to make ends meet in a very difficult economy, find it very frustrating to be stuck abroad as economic refugees, while many of their mates are making millions back home. The frustration is very real and turns into bitterness. That's all I am saying nothing more.

The idea that my observation stems from materialism is uninformed. Those who are honest know that the frustration I described is a major factor in the bitterness experienced by many of our brothers abroad. It is what it is.

I do not disagree with the rest of your post. While dismissing my post outright may endear you to many posters, you are avoiding the glaring truth.

linearity:

According to world bank, Nigerian in diaspora pulp over $10b into the Nigeria economy in 2011.

They did this without been a burden on the system, without using Nigeria resources,roads or pollute the environment with waste, etc....pure $10b cash dump....Yes, you living in Nigeria also contributes into the economy by spending your hard earned money....but you use that money to buy fuel for your car to pollute the environment, fuel on your generator to pollute, you contribute to waste in wastelands across Nigeria, you consume Nigeria electricity, water, roads, public parks, zoo, bridges, hospitals, stadium, etc......Ask yourself, who have done a better net contribution towards the betterment of Nigeria, you that burden and live off the system while you make your contributions or someone who does it without living off the system?

Sometimes I wonder whether some people have a comprehension problem. The frustration I pointed out in my post is very real and is a major cause of the bitterness felt by you folks. That's all. All the other issues in your post do not nullify what I wrote. No one is disputing the contribution of you people to the Nigerian economy. Stop making up issues and then responding to them when I never suggested that Nigerians at home are better off.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nduchucks: 6:58am On Oct 06, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 7:01am On Oct 06, 2012
ochukoccna:
All those who you mentioned are the elites
Who do you think profits from the crazy way Nigeria is currently run angry angry
There's money to be made in Nigeria[tomes of it], don't get me wrong, but level the playing field wink

I think that is rather been simplistic
What of improved standard of leaving? angry angry
Except your dad is very rich to offer you that over here in Nigeria shocked shocked
Your dad probably went to school back when Nigerian universities where the ish cool cool
Currently even by African education standards[note African], Nigeria lags behind
All the BRICS& CIVET nations[emerging economies] have globally competitive universities
Check it up
Any wonder they are driving world trade& innovation now that Europe& America are stagnating economically?
But is Nigeria up there with them? A mono-economy embarassed embarassed embarassed
The world is only interested in our oil& large population which makes them money from exports embarassed embarassed
Go figure shocked shocked

Improved standard of living? c'mon man its not like we live on trees in Nigeria. I can tell you that I personally live a better life in Nigeria and so do many people I know who are schooling abroad, not to brag but we have 3 houses to live in (Lag, PH and in the villa). In each house there are security men/gate men and theres a driver to run errands for you.... just to say a few. I don't get close to that comfort here... I share a house with my friends, its nice but not the same. you could make an argument that these western countries have a greater standard of living for the poor and a poor man in the US is far better off than a poor man in Nigeria because of the government aides and all what not but when it comes to the middle and upper class/ elite....we pretty much live the same lives and in some cases, even better.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Goldieluks: 7:18am On Oct 06, 2012
Nigerians back home should say to bitterness, claim what rightful belong to them from the political leaders, say NO to barbaric acts such as setting innocent people on fire, say no to wickedness and transfer their aggressions to the government instead of the citizens.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by lastpage: 7:26am On Oct 06, 2012
HiiiPower: Are those road sweepers at Euston and Victoria stations diasporans?
Are those on early morning cleaning also diasporans?
Are the security guards diasporans?
Are the care workers and factory workers diasporans?
Those are the majority of Nigerians outside Nigeria.
Heck, they live hand to mouth daily. Yet in the process
of gagging and trying to create new identities, they label themselves
as "diasporans" just to feel better than the rest. It's naff!

I'm Nigerian and I love Nigeria.

coogar:

utter crap....
what would you have them do? online begging like the army of youths in nigeria? you see nigerians who are doing their jobs honestly and you are casting aspersions? it is from those menial jobs that many of them feed families @ home, build houses and support young ones in school. a security officer abroad earns more than most bank managers in nigeria - so i ask, what's your grief with a nigerian female cleaning euston station? there's more dignity in that than your sisters fücking politicians every weekend to make ends meet!

Seems that our Naija brother is suffering from SELECTIVE AMNESIA!

How did you forget to mention the thousands of Nigerians in the same U.K who are Doctors, Engineers, Computer Scientists, Lawyers, e.t.c (qualified professionals!)

Even the Otedolas, Jim Ovias, Dangotes, that you mention.......all have "Homes" in these foreign countries, HOMES where they come to get "real rest of mind" from the chaos that is Nigeria!
wink wink

All those peeps you mention up there are very proud Nigerians!

They do Nigeria more good than the hordes of yahoo-yahoo "locals" that send thousands of E-mails to foreigners, looking for a way to scam them!

They work hard and they get paid.
At an average of 500GBP/week (2,000GBP monthly = #500,000 averagely), how many of your local champions who don "suit and tie" in the burning sun, earn just #200,000 monthly?.
Or is it not that same country where the "dream of a University Graduate" is to DRIVE a "DANGOTE TRAILER"? grin grin

If most Nigerians are as diligent as those people you mention, our image would not be this bad world-wide......and the culprits are those millions of unemployed youths in Nigeria, who are just desperate to survive.

I would rather be a street sweeper in U.S, than be a "Kidnapper or Ritualist" in Nigeria! shocked shocked
I would rather wash Easton station in U.K than "steal money" meant for a Children's hospital in Nigeria, to live like a big-man in Nigeria!

There is always dignity in labor, "Oole lo'bomo je"!

Granted, a Nigerian is a Nigerian, whether home or abroad.
This "differentiation" is a waste of energy and completely stewpid!

Everyone, local and abroad, should contribute something to the betterment of our country.
It seems the real bitter people (for reasons l still cant fathom) are those that accuse Nigerians in Diaspora, as being bitter.
I remember that Dora Akinyuli also said the same thing, like two years ago (the woman has suddenly become a multi-millionaire and Governorship aspirant, after working in Government for a few years!..Hmmmm)

Most "Diasporeans" come home regularly, we even bring our kids home on holidays, yet someone says "they are stuck abroad"? We build houses in Nigeria, we "invite" family members for visits, we have "well funded" account in Nigeria.....yet they say we are bitter?
Bitter over what? The very few Nigerians that loot the treasury and live large? Or those that use fellow humans in money rituals? What is there to envy in "blood money"?
Most of you guys are just suffering from DELUSION OF GRANDEUR![b][/b]

Diasporeans are not bitter, we are just unhappy with our folks back home, who fulfill the "cave man's theory"!
Until you leave the confines of the cave, you may never know that "light" exist outside.
We are unhappy that despite all the natural resources and man-power we have, we are one of the poorest people on earth!
Wetin sef?

No need to beef each other, we s should all work for the greatness of our country.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by jaybee3(m): 7:41am On Oct 06, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 06, 2012
jay bee: Thelastpope=> buzugee

Hmmmm.... Any similarity?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by kurga(m): 8:33am On Oct 06, 2012
From my personal view, the bad in nigeria out weighs good by a long stretch so the citizens, who are the most hit by this embarrassing state have a right to cry out. The government just don't seem as concerned as they should be about the country, and u want people to talk good? We are even polite.what will happen to america if they were to be like nigeria? Do u imagine how they would react? If our government was sensitive and caring, they would be trying to change how most nigerians and the world at large think about nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by eaglechild: 8:54am On Oct 06, 2012
THE EMOTIONAL CYCLE OF A DIASPORAN

OPTIMISM
This is usually the case before leaving the shores of the country. They believe they are going to a place where u can achieve whatever u want to, by determination and hardwork.
This is of course not entirely false, but they forget that thay are disadvantanged already as they are 2nd class citizens.

REALITY
It clearly dawns on them that life is not a bed of roses and their degrees(if any) do not count.
They have to stoop pretty low to make any head way. This is the point of make it or break it. The choice to go the honest way(often harsh) or the easy way (crime).

ACCLAMATIZATION/ADJUSTMENT
After many years(variable) of doggedness, they finally learn how to live and thrive in an alien society, which is no longer alien to them.
They start gaining acceptance frm the citizens. The fortunate ones, would have invested in their careers getting PGDs and sitting board exams to revive their previously moribund primary degrees.
"This could be the entry emotional phase for the informed migrant".

SUCCESS/FAILURE
After years of hardwork. A good number can look back at what they have achieved and smile. Many others are not so fortunate and are caught in the "matrix".
The successful ones are "happy", and some(good ones) begin to see the need to give back to their TRUE ROOTS.
Others degenerate to BITTERNESS skipping the other phases.

FRUSTRATION
Many who attempt to give back(on a larger scale), discover that this is almost a futile task. Only the very determined ones succeed.
Frustration usually sets in at this point.

BITTERNESS
Many inevitably end up here and for so many reasons
1. Those with failed dreams.
2. The successful ones who cant give back to their roots
3. Those(successful or not) who continually wish that they can return to their country, knowing fully well that they still remain 2nd class citizens, but realizing they cant THRIVE in such a society any longer.
These pple are NOT necesserily to be blamed, they are products of betrayal by their country.

INDIFFERENCE
These pple no longer care abt their roots.
They have become fully hardened frm all the experiences.
Many pple BORN in diaspora drop straight into this category.
Those who never left for Nigeria are not really "considered" Nigerians, strong parenting may however incline them to still believe they are.
Those who left in early chilhood and returned much later, find it harder. They feel they have been forced upon the society that MUST accept them as citizens.
They stand the danger of quickly lapsing into indifference, but will often go thru the other phases.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by felifeli: 9:16am On Oct 06, 2012
thelastPope:

So let me ask you a question. If you are not happy with your family, will you go around talking them down and refering to them in degrading and despicable ways?

Imagine words like "that poo country". "That dung of a country". "That hell hole". "Do people still live in that useless place?" And so on. Please don't defend their bitterness

You have made relevant observation, but you have in your original post been guilty of same generalization. In fact I have heard native citizens of USA and UK describe their own country in the same equally despicable terms, but they have often been the jobless and down-at-luck so you can understand their frustration. If I were a Nigerian living abroad (and I have certainly done a fair share of this), whatever any relative comfort that I may be feeling in a place where I am only an "honorary" member of the community, I would certainly be so bad that my country couldn't be like this so that I could return home where I am lord. It is well though, no place is perfect.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 06, 2012
I met one of your diaspora Nigerians. And I must say, he did your Nigeria proud!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 9:42am On Oct 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Oga sir, you completely missed the mark this time arround. Your epistle does nothing to nullify the fact that the diasporans I referenced in my post, majority of who are working very hard abroad to make ends meet in a very difficult economy, find it very frustrating to be stuck abroad as economic refugees, while many of their mates are making millions back home.

Ndu Chucks, the issue is very simple. The OP conclude Nigerians in the diaspora are "bitter". You then simply, in a blanket manner, suggest they are frustrated their "mates" in Nigeria are making millions. This is untrue and entirely simplistic IMO.

Your talk of "mates" is wrong. Perhaps the mistake you make is thinking a Nigerian Senators and AGIP parasites , like Otedola, constitute the "mates" of Nigerians in the diaspora. It is the same way Richard Branson, for the sake of this argument, is not the "mate" of average Britons.

You fail to understand that a better comparison is to simply use the working class and the middle class. If you did that, you will note that most Nigerians in the diaspora don't have mates in Nigeria making millions, as you claim, to even justify any "frustration" or "bitterness" you think they feel.

Here, you continue with more misconceptions talking above about " very difficult economy". Is the economy of the UK, Germany and the USA more "difficult" or failing majority of its people than that of Nigeria? You want to tell me that the diaspora, with it so called "difficult economy", does not present far more opportunity and chance for a decent living , on average, than Nigeria? Once an argument is wrong, in its basic element, it will continue to be wrong.

You make the mistake of taking the views of a few to categorise the majority. What you don't realise is that the legitimate Nigerian in the diaspora is still very happy and secure in himself/herself. Whatever you are saying, you don't speak for legitimate and gainfully employed Nigerians in the diaspora.

Many Nigerians in the diaspora have done the right thing at every stage of the way to eventually secure comfort. In fact many of them single-handedly support many back home !!! If they are 'frustrated' at all, it will be because so many, directly associated with them , are in poverty and unemployed back in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by felifeli: 9:45am On Oct 06, 2012
M-16:
WE are bitter because we hate any thing Yoruba ,everything Yoruba is awkward so irritating living with ARCH enemy .Yorubas nan never like igbo's that is the nature ,you igbo's keep deceiving your self keep risking your life .,you mister buy and sell .stop putting all your trust on buying & selling ,there is no skill's on buying and selling .the only change suitable to over turn Igbo night mare is the development of science and technology ,make it law and ordinance and enforce education .with buying and selling you will not get to no where with out science and technology .OPEN your eye.
Yorubas are our arch enemy surrounded us everyday you know the truth

LOL Were orun !
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by justwise(m): 9:45am On Oct 06, 2012
paris10:

As a "patriotic Nigerian", that should be a bad day for you! You see what we mean? Logic: When you see their mock shots all over the place, it places an everlasting impression on the minds of your white friends how bad Nigerians are. Don't you just get it?

Do you go about agreeing with your white friends that Nigerians are bad? Or would you rather correct their ignorance by asserting that the ones caught are just the bad eggs amongst 160 millions of us!

Think my brother and don't sell your birth right to the crackers!!!

You should be the last person to preach to me, i have being telling you this for yrs here in nairaland, you are an individual with dubious character, you are one of those Nigerian criminals making life difficult for decent Nigerians abroad, get over yourself.

I rather watch my neighbour's knicker dry than taking advice from you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 06, 2012
Muhahaha no
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 10:44am On Oct 06, 2012
@ eaglechild

lots of errors in your write up.

eg this one:

ACCLIMATIZATION/ADJUSTMENT

After many years(variable) of doggedness, they finally learn how to live and thrive in an alien society, which is no longer alien to them.

They start gaining acceptance frm the citizens.

haha, what a joke.

you're very optimistic, i see!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car / Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso Visits Mariya Dantata (Photos). / Hisbah Seize Truck Of 3,600 Crates Of Beer In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.