Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe (3994 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi Tweet: Chinue Achebe Said Worse Things About Nigeria / Why Wole Soyinka Won Noble Prize Award Against Late Chinue Achebe. / In Responce To Obasanjo's Comment Against GEJ And The Niger-delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by dayokanu(m): 3:28am On Oct 10, 2012
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by ebere1712: 3:52am On Oct 10, 2012
demmy:

Keep denying it. We know it was true.

http://books.google.gr/books?id=KxiKPeQyiakC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=landing+fees+biafra+ojukwu&source=bl&ots=9b32DbMfDR&sig=xPMnD19K0czQY9pPkxa1WRXEBlI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Atl0UPmcKInOswbwmYBo&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=landing%20fees%20biafra%20ojukwu&f=false
Awolorat had already stated his intentiton to kill biafran children and confiscate the property of their fathers, and you want Biafra to allow food aid coming through Nigeria; which awolorat would gleefully lace with some of the poison with which he killed himself. What awolorat demanded was that the food pass through him first, so he can lace them with poison. Nigeria threatened to attack relief agencies if they went in by themselves. Yoroslaves, I am tired of educating re.tards. Just for the sake of foreigners in this forum. Nigeria has no food to feed itself, and still doesn't have food to feed itself, disregard any yoroslave or ret.arded Nigerian trying to claim that they offered aid. Aid was offered by missionaries, after the pink brits and cow fuc.king egyptians and russian apes and their devil friends aerially bombarded biafran markets and farmlands. It is a war and although we didn't expect attacks targeted on civilians (we thought it was a sane world after all the treaties signed in UN), we still are not blaming anybody for that. We take responsibility for our war and we have reiterated that we would fight even a more bloody battle if them devils rare up their ugly heads again. This time everybody would feel the pain and CHUKWU must reign supreme. Yoroslaves want everybody to share their stupidy with them, like a national madness sort of thing. Identify with your devils, don't try to make it look like "everybody was like that; lets move on". Awolorat was your leader, embrace him, with his goods and ills. Don't try to cover up his wrongs undecided
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by emiye(m): 4:01am On Oct 10, 2012
ebere1712:
Awolorat had already stated his intentiton to kill biafran children and confiscate the property of their fathers, and you want Biafra to allow food aid coming through Nigeria; which awolorat would gleefully lace with some of the poison with which he killed himself. What awolorat demanded was that the food pass through him first, so he can lace them with poison. Nigeria threatened to attack relief agencies if they went in by themselves. Yoroslaves, I am tired of educating re.tards. Just for the sake of foreigners in this forum. Nigeria has no food to feed itself, and still doesn't have food to feed itself, disregard any yoroslave or ret.arded Nigerian trying to claim that they offered aid. Aid was offered by missionaries, after the pink brits and cow fuc.king egyptians and russian apes and their devil friends aerially bombarded biafran markets and farmlands. It is a war and although we didn't expect attacks targeted on civilians (we thought it was a sane world after all the treaties signed in UN), we still are not blaming anybody for that. We take responsibility for our war and we have reiterated that we would fight even a more bloody battle if them devils rare up their ugly heads again. This time everybody would feel the pain and CHUKWU must reign supreme. Yoroslaves want everybody to share their stupidy with them, like a national madness sort of thing. Identify with your devils, don't try to make it look like "everybody was like that; lets move on". Awolorat was your leader, embrace him, with his goods and ills. Don't try to cover up his wrongs undecided

Till when will you continue to bury your head in sand like an ostrich ?

Till when will you stop living in denial ?

Till when will you realise your supposed role model was a rotten model ?

Till when will you accept the fault and the loss?

Till when will you realise that your tribe will not achieve the much needed political strength and relevance in Nigeria, except they seek for a friend and ally in the Yorubas?

5 Likes

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by ebere1712: 4:35am On Oct 10, 2012
emiye:

Till when will you continue to bury your head in sand like an ostrich ?

Till when will you stop living in denial ?

Till when will you realise your supposed role model was a rotten model ?

Till when will you accept the fault and the loss?

Till when will you realise that your tribe will not achieve the much needed political strength and relevance in Nigeria, except they seek for a friend and ally in the Yorubas?

Chukwu damage you already damaged spine for telling me to seek alliance with yoroslaves. The same mistake my fathers made thinking yoroslaves are human. Ojukwu released Awolowo, the chief of your slave race (incacerated ). The other slaves that he safely sent home from the east (including adekunle your hero), turned around and bit the finger that freed them. Yoroslaves have never had any relevance in anything, why would I seek relevance in the irrelevant. Nigeria doesn't even have any relevance in the world today. A nation filled to the brim with imbeciles. I can't believe you think you have anything to be proud of. Look around you, your country is a big dump. Run down by the same heroes that fought Biafrans. Your military depends on import, to the very last pin. And you are not ashamed. I don't want relevance in Nigeria, I want to dissociate myself and the pride of my fathers; from the dump you call a nation. Again Amadioha damage the mouth with which you requested I seek relevance with yoroslaves.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:09am On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

If I have a black heart then you have a fish brain. You stated and I quote, "What i can gather from what he said was that if Biafran gov't got financial assistance (didn't see where he said mandatory payments) it would help with the war effort.....or were you expecting him to just clap his hands together and money would appear like magic?". You were implying that it was normal for Ojukwu to expect payment from aid agencies to fund his war effort.

Sir David Hunt stated that Biafra would refuse the aid without the payments and in the very next clip Ojukwu justified the landing fees by stating that it was going to be used in the war effort. But before that, St. Jorre had stated that the aid agencies used the network of churches and schools to distribute the aid. So what was Biafra charging landing fees for?

In any case, why would anyone charge charities landing fees for bringing in FREE food for starving children? Clearly, the problem isn't Ojukwu evil men such as yourself whom he led. You are the heartless who sees nothing wrong in that despicable act. But I am not surprised; it is inline with your philosophy of everyman or child for himself.

I don't remember telling you that I share the same country with you but to address that point, you should take your question to Zik's grave.

^^^I think what you're finding difficult to grasp is the difference between 'expecting' payment as a mandatory action which you say i 'implied' (but i didn't say outright) in my post; and on the other hand 'asking' for help with the logistics in the administration of the aid, seeing as the country was cash-strapped owing to the war......i don't see anything wrong with this provided the Biafran gov't didn't make it a condition for conituation of said aid provision.

Now the issue is if Ojukwu alluded to 'expecting' payments as a condition for the food aid to continue......going from the 'conveniently' edited video (most likely edited by an evil awo sympathizer like you), i don't see such an allusion; what i see is an old fat colonial brit giving his own take on the situation, and i wouldn't expect any different from such a person knowing where their allegiance lay during the civil war.

I'm still waiting for the unedited 'confession' from Ojukwu himself and not spin.

On sharing the same country with murderers like you: unlike you, i don't hold anyone up as being infallible, and trully believe Zik fuc/ked up in believing too much in this fake union for whatever reason....when i see something bad, i call it as it is (esp' when it concerns murder) not minding whether the person is my kinsman or not.

Cheers.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Demdem(m): 10:24am On Oct 10, 2012
ACM10:

[s]I hate no one. I relate well with Yorubas in real life. I'm a pragmatist and a realist. I relate with my professional colleague based on their capability and not tribe. I've never allowed political consideration to colour my judgement. Meritocracy is my watchword! Unlike you who sees nothing good in Ndigbo. I have problem with people who turns history upside down. I'm only here to disabuse the minds of my fellow Ndigbo.[/s]

Finally, are you a clown in real life?

Thrash. The issue is was ur questioned answered or not?

1 Like

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by AndreUweh(m): 10:36am On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

You just need to lay low sometimes. Are you watching a different video from the rest of us?

You have been demanding proof with regards to Biafra charging landing fees to charities. You refused to accept the names of the charities arguing ignorantly that you have never heard of charities such as YMCA.

In the video provided by Eko ile, one can hear Ojukwu justifying the collection of landing fees from charities who were bringing in free food for starving Biafrans. One can also hear Sir Hunt saying that the Biafrans wouldn't accept the aid without the landing fees. One can see how insensitive the Biafran high command were towards the people they were claiming to be protecting. Little wonder, Ojukwu took off in the middle of the night, taking the places of little girls that were being rescued, and killing a few girls in the ensuing drama.

Where were you during the civil war?. When are you going to stop spreading lies in this forum?. Who are these girls that Ojukwu killed?.
Can you name any member from your family or your community who was there in the East when Ojukwu comitted the acts you accuse him off?. Failure to do that means you should forever hold your face in shame?.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Arsenate(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
O Gawd. Even in the face of evidence our ibo brothers are still living in denial. I mean the video is there, very much there. Any unbias neutral would agree that Ojukwu played a big role in starvation of his people, at least after watching that clip. O well na Yorubas get time.

2 Likes

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Katsumoto: 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^I think what you're finding difficult to grasp is the difference between 'expecting' payment as a mandatory action which you say i 'implied' (but i didn't say outright) in my post; and on the other hand 'asking' for help with the logistics in the administration of the aid, seeing as the country was cash-strapped owing to the war......i don't see anything wrong with this provided the Biafran gov't didn't make it a condition for conituation of said aid provision.

Now the issue is if Ojukwu alluded to 'expecting' payments as a condition for the food aid to continue......going from the 'conveniently' edited video (most likely edited by an evil awo sympathizer like you), i don't see such an allusion; what i see is an old fat colonial brit giving his own take on the situation, and i wouldn't expect any different from such a person knowing where their allegiance lay during the civil war.

I'm still waiting for the unedited 'confession' from Ojukwu himself and not spin.

On sharing the same country with murderers like you: unlike you, i don't hold anyone up as being infallible, and trully believe Zik fuc/ked up in believing too much in this fake union for whatever reason....when i see something bad, i call it as it is (esp' when it concerns murder) not minding whether the person is my kinsman or not.

Cheers.

First, Ojukwu would never say that it was a mandatory request that had to be complied it. The aid agencies made the claim, Ntieyong Akpan, Biafra's secretary confirmed it in his book "Struggle for Secession", and it was also voiced by Sir Hunt in that BBC documentary.

Second, let me explain something to your heartless soul. Charities are non-for profit organizations. They are run by donations and grants given by individuals and governments. They don't have deep bottomless pockets of cash. By asking for payments for bringing in FREE food, the charities HAVE to reduce what they spend on FOOD and MEDICINE. The result is that more children will die so that Ojukwu can buy more guns to fight a war he has no chance of winning. He has no chance of winning because he has no money and no food to feed his people. They (charities) would have a budget of say $5 million for the Biafran crises. Instead of that $5 million being used for food and medicine, they would have had to set aside say $2 million to pay fees. Who suffered, starved, and died?

Third, charities decided to supply food and aid because Biafra's propagandan machine cried to the world for help. Its people were dying, it couldn't feed and protect them. The world responded with aid. But alas, when they got to Biafra, Ojukwu demanded money so that he could buy arms. Do you see the moral bankruptcy in such a move? Mr Ojukwu begged his neighbour Mr Thompson for money to feed his children. Mr Thompson said 'I don't have money but I can give your children food'. Mr Ojukwu then said 'that's ok'. But when Mr Thompson got to Mr Ojukwu's house, Mr Ojukwu said 'you have to pay me entrance fee before you bring your FREE food into my house to feed my starving children'.

But I don't expect you to understand that since you are from a 'every man for himself' society.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Katsumoto: 1:22pm On Oct 10, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Where were you during the civil war?. When are you going to stop spreading lies in this forum?. Who are these girls that Ojukwu killed?.
Can you name any member from your family or your community who was there in the East when Ojukwu comitted the acts you accuse him off?. Failure to do that means you should forever hold your face in shame?.

You got tired of posting as Ngodigha, Mr Uweh?

I wasn't born during the war. In any case, read the excerpt below for more information.

3 Likes

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by nduchucks: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
Is this not the same Remi Oyeyemi, Adedibu's boy who sold his soul for naira? mtcheeeeuw

1 Like

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by aljharem(m): 1:33pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

I wasn't born during the war. In any case, read the excerpt below for more information.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by dayokanu(m): 3:54pm On Oct 10, 2012
Andre Uweh:

ngodigha, now that you have been shown the evidence of Ojuku killing children in his cowardly escape I fully expect you to claim that the Newspaper article was doctored or it was Awolowo who published the Sydney newspaper

1 Like

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Dipwater(m): 9:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
I wus brought up in a hate environment where people judge u based on tribe and religion
A lot of thngs we discuss here affect me psycologically

I have learnt a lot about the war ,I read somewhere that more than 2 million ibos were killed during the war

Peoples comment are building serious hatred in my life,some of us might be saying things here to help our tribe win the debate

For those that said let sleeping lie are just ignorant of wat this thing can cause in the future,let's argue now and solve the problems once and for all

There is a lot of wickedness in this cuntry,I don't care who is at fault .wat I want is the truth. I will bring out time to study evri thing about the war .awolowo and ojukwu have a lot of things to tell us

I will try not to hate the yoruba people cuz I wus brought up in the west and have a lot of them as very close friends

We are just deceiving ourselves nigeria is not one

I think I hate this cuntry so much ,u can blame me if u want to .but I will not blame me cuz I wus brought up in a hate environment

I will surely go back to europe and never come back here again cus this environment is doing so much damage to my brain and it s turning me into an animal

I don't biliv in the christian god neither do I have any respect for the muslim god .africa is a cursed land .we are our brothas killer

Thank u all for making me hate ,I tell people that nigerians are the same those condeming the aluu people have done worst than the aluu people with their mouth
I wuld have said god will save us but I don't biliv in a god ,
Besides we have all repeated that line severlly and it doesn't work so I will say let's help ourselves if we wnt to move forward
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Dede1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

I say shame onto you for reposting this conjectural crap. Which bridge was blown? There was only one bridge blown up at Owerrenta and it was not on Christmas day which should be December 25 even though you disingenuously omitted the year in the clip you posted. I guess you remember we have debated this nonsense in a previous thread.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Eziachi: 9:40pm On Oct 10, 2012
baqina:

Am not bothered with what Awolowo said, my main concern is d way this thing has turned out to be especially on social media, it is as if d war was between the Yorubas and the Igbos, we have all forgotten how the war started which was the killing of igbos in the northern part of the country (that was the genesis of the crisis) and the Yorubas should keep quiet, they did not start and win the war.

My biggest problem is in what Achebe said, no reasonable people will hear that and not respond. Why is that only it is only Achebe that is talking 45 yrs after?,45 yrs is a long time, some people that were born that time have started having grand children. He Achiebe did not make a public declaration or statement about the war but quoted it in his book he is about to sell...can you imagine?

Why are the principal actors alive today not talking? Gowon & co.

Awolowo did not deny the seizure of the food, he said the federal govt ordered the food to be stopped because the foods were not getting to the masses, the soldiers hijacked the foods to themselves....what else do you want him to say or do? And he did clarified this before he died but for somebody to now come up and accused him again after so many yrs..haba...wt all fairness and sincerity let us all judge it.

Let us stop ds fights, it won't lead anywhere. If Yorubas were bad we won't have millions of Igbos in Lagos and thousands in Ibadan.

Yorubas too need to at least be less noisy, they did not start nor win the war.

It seems you have read the so-called offensive book. Which page and paragaph are you refering to?
Your lame argument about Igbos residency in Lagos as Yoruba's humanity is not only childish but meaningless. Lagos is part and parcel of Nigeria and Ndigbo were killed in their millions in order to be part of Nigeria, I don't see how living in a city in your own country translates to generosity.

There are more Igbos living in DouaIa or Libreville by double than Igbos residing in lagos. Still Igbos doesn't go all day prostrating to them. If they don't like them, they will revoke their visas.

If you hate anybody outside your tribe in your perceived land please, don't get ants in your pants anytime you hear about dissolution of Nigeria. Support it and then you can close your doors like North Korea. You can't have it both ways- one Nigeria on one hand and stay in yours on the other hand and every month your governor will go to Abuja to collect money that was derived from another persons land.
Lagos is not better to Oron. Ikot Abasi, James Town, Atabong without one Nigeria and the owners of Lagos ( Aworis) knew that fact, hence they go about their business without fuss. Its only those as arrivals as Ndigbo that kept making noise in a city they had very little stake in its wealth.

I had never heard the English asking the Scots to be grateful of living in London, just because they wanted full independence for Scotland from GB.
Any Hausa, Yoruba, Efik who decide to live in Umuahia is welcomed and doesn't owe any Igbo man any gratitude, THAT IS HOW A SANE PERSON SHOULD REASON.

1 Like

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Katsumoto: 10:06pm On Oct 10, 2012
Dede1:

I say shame onto you for reposting this conjectural crap. Which bridge was blown? There was only one bridge blown up at Owerrenta and it was not on Christmas day which should be December 25 even though you disingenuously omitted the year in the clip you posted. I guess you remember we have debated this nonsense in a previous thread.

So because you question when a bridge was blown, the rest of the news should be disregarded?

In any case, your rebuttal to a newspaper article is the data in your brain? Are we supposed to accept that you as an embodiment of knowledge when you get simple things wrong. Just yesterday, i had to correct and educate you when you stated that there was no blockade of the south in the US by the union navy during the American civil war.

You have to do better than that; i have exposed you far too many times to accept your word over a newspaper.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
WHY CHINUA ACHEBE IS STILL ANGRY
Snippets from Chinua Achebe’s memoirs on Biafra-‘There was a country’, has already began to generate controversies. The most unfortunate part of this controversy is its ethnic dimension, Yoruba vs Igbo. Prominent Yoruba leaders believe that the good name of their icon Chief Obafemi Awolowo is being toiled with, while Igbo leaders feel that Professor Chinua Achebe said what needed to be said. Other Nigerians from my generation and younger are probably like ‘what the F%&&$k??’

Of course I did not experience the Biafran war but my parents did and so I have ‘indirectly’ re-lived their various war experiences.
My father was born and bred in Lagos during the 1940s, he grew up on Lagos Island, Lafiaji to be precise and his mastery of the Yoruba language was and still is flawless. My mother was born in Lagos too and her Yoruba also flawless. The war broke out long before my parents even met each other but they both had distinct life changing experiences.

As at the time Biafra was declared,[b] my father was a young banker in Lagos, a bachelor and a typical ‘Eko for show’ fun loving guy. As soon as my father noticed the suspicion his presence elicited among his Yoruba hosts he quickly moved to a new location and wait for it...changed his name. My father became known as Mr Johnson in his new location, spoke his Yoruba even more fluently and being very dark skinned no one could mistaken him for an Igbo.

But eventually, he was ‘outed’ by a former neighbour; his story is that in spite of Federal government’s stance on unity, there were some rogue ‘unknown Northern soldiers’ who were fond of rounding up Igbos in Lagos and summarily executing them. And these soldiers did come to Mr Johnson’s compound, all my Dad could remember on that fateful morning was sounds of people outside shouting, [size=14pt]“Igbo ni wan, Igbo ni wan.”[/size] He quickly made for the back door balcony of his first floor apartment, and jumped out dislocating his right leg in the process. He then limped towards the back fence and scaled over it, still landing with the same dislocated leg. My dad describes the pain as ‘unbelievable’ but he escaped, that’s why I’m here today. He still walks with a limp till this day.[/b]

On my mother’s side, she and her family ran out of Lagos and moved to her father’s house in Port-Harcourt, thinking it was a safe haven. Port Harcourt quickly fell to Federal forces and they all moved to their ancestral home in the present Imo state. What my maternal family experienced in their own village was probably worse than all her experiences with the non-Igbos combined.

Apparently, returnee Igbos from outside the Eastern region were discriminated against by their own people. Back then, Igbos weren’t fond of building solid houses in their villages, many had built their houses in Lagos, Port Harcourt and the North. And so, as my mum and her family became penniless returnee Igbos, many people within her community who even benefitted from her family’s pre war benevolence mocked them. They said things like, “Foolish people, you all went to build houses on foreign lands, why didn’t you carry the houses on your heads and bring it over?”

The Biafran soldiers on the other hand were something else, young boys were summarily conscripted into the army. Molestation by Biafran soldiers was so rampant that young girls were advised to make themselves ugly and smelly on their way to the market so that soldiers will not find them attractive.

So, as it were, the Federal government slapped Biafrans on one cheek and the Biafran authorities also slapped Biafrans on the other cheek. But the most decisive slapped ended up being the ‘food blockade’ allegedly designed and implemented by Chief Obafemi Awolowo. I heard stories of how thousands of ‘Aje butter’ Biafran children died off within weeks into the food blockade.

Chinua Achebe’s position is that this singular action eventually wiped off over two million people mainly children and can safely be termed as genocide. Those on Awolowo’s side believe that it was a ‘necessary evil’ needed to make the war end quickly; afterall, how can you feed your enemies? Giving them energy to keep on fighting you.

Both schools of thought are correct.

We have seen wars in Africa that have lasted for over fifteen years, but the Biafra war lasted for just three years. Ironically, many of the ‘long term’ wars in Africa boasted of casualties in their thousands while the Nigerian Civil war of just three years posted a ‘gallant’ figure of over two million dead.

I feel Chinua Achebe’s pains; a man that lived to see an entire promising generation wiped out right in from him. I understand Obafemi Awolowo’s stance, ‘the war just needed to end quickly so that the nation can move on.’

However, the question is, could there have been a better way to end the war? What if the ‘Aburi accord’ had been strictly adhered to? What if the South west region which today is the most vocal on the call for a sovereign national conference stood by the Eastern region back then and demanded for true federalism or con-federalism? I have never met Chinua Achebe and maybe I never will, but I’m thinking these are some of the thoughts that haunt him every day. Especially when he looks at todays Nigeria and the persistent calls for true federalism by many, including ‘descendants’ and ‘followers’ of Awolowo.

I’m an Igbo man and I guess I 'deserve' the right to be biased about this issue. However, I strongly believe that all the parties involved in the Nigerian civil war meant well for the Nigerian nation. Although, there’s a popular saying that ‘the road to hell is filled with good intentions.’

Did the deliberate food blockade on Biafra lead to a quick end to the Nigerian civil war? It did, Chief Obafemi Awolowo was right.

Did this deliberate food blockade also lead to the untimely deaths or genocide of over two million Biafrans? Yes it did. Chinua Achebe is right.

Unfortunately, many still believe that the word ‘Genocide’ is only appropriate when the instrument of death used are gas chambers, guns and machetes.

Starvation is also an instrument of death and unlike others; it’s very slow and extremely painful.

Link http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2012/10/therewas-indeed-country-why-chinua.html
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by AnitaMandy: 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
what an old man sees while sitting a young man won't even when standing on top of the tallest tree. Achebe lived the war I didn't. he wrote a memoir(a written account of event one remember); the war did not end today, he did not start written the memoir today. this is years of work and research.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
Yoruba cannot be your neighbor
they are evil
they masterminded the deaths of innocent children
today they rush igbo women like scarce commodity
they want to spread their curse to igboland!

stop marrying Yoruba
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by emiye(m): 10:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
Dipwater: I wus brought up in a hate environment where people judge u based on tribe and religion
A lot of thngs we discuss here affect me psycologically

I have learnt a lot about the war ,I read somewhere that more than 2 million ibos were killed during the war

Peoples comment are building serious hatred in my life,some of us might be saying things here to help our tribe win the debate

For those that said let sleeping lie are just ignorant of wat this thing can cause in the future,let's argue now and solve the problems once and for all

There is a lot of wickedness in this cuntry,I don't care who is at fault .wat I want is the truth. I will bring out time to study evri thing about the war .awolowo and ojukwu have a lot of things to tell us

I will try not to hate the yoruba people cuz I wus brought up in the west and have a lot of them as very close friends

We are just deceiving ourselves nigeria is not one

I think I hate this cuntry so much ,u can blame me if u want to .but I will not blame me cuz I wus brought up in a hate environment

I will surely go back to europe and never come back here again cus this environment is doing so much damage to my brain and it s turning me into an animal

I don't biliv in the christian god neither do I have any respect for the muslim god .africa is a cursed land .we are our brothas killer

Thank u all for making me hate ,I tell people that nigerians are the same those condeming the aluu people have done worst than the aluu people with their mouth
I wuld have said god will save us but I don't biliv in a god ,
Besides we have all repeated that line severlly and it doesn't work so I will say let's help ourselves if we wnt to move forward

Go through this thread, a greater part of the truth is staring at your face. Receive it slowly, gently but surely, then your healing process begins I wish you luck
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by emiye(m): 10:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
ebere1712:

Chukwu damage you already damaged spine for telling me to seek alliance with yoroslaves. The same mistake my fathers made thinking yoroslaves are human. Ojukwu released Awolowo, the chief of your slave race (incacerated ). The other slaves that he safely sent home from the east (including adekunle your hero), turned around and bit the finger that freed them. Yoroslaves have never had any relevance in anything, why would I seek relevance in the irrelevant. Nigeria doesn't even have any relevance in the world today. A nation filled to the brim with imbeciles. I can't believe you think you have anything to be proud of. Look around you, your country is a big dump. Run down by the same heroes that fought Biafrans. Your military depends on import, to the very last pin. And you are not ashamed. I don't want relevance in Nigeria, I want to dissociate myself and the pride of my fathers; from the dump you call a nation. Again Amadioha damage the mouth with which you requested I seek relevance with yoroslaves.

With this level of bitterness, you soon might be diagnosed of cancer !

No form of denial will change the facts, i feel your pain, it is not easy changing what the revisionists had fed you with all your lifetime, BUT, game over, time to fashion out new strategies for a greater ibo or BIAFRA(whichever calms your nerves). If you and your ilks continue this way, your biafra will be a pipe dream in the next 100 generations.

2 Likes

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by demmie1: 1:33am On Oct 11, 2012
re@lchange:
WHY CHINUA ACHEBE IS STILL ANGRY
Snippets from Chinua Achebe’s memoirs on Biafra-‘There was a country’, has already began to generate controversies. The most unfortunate part of this controversy is its ethnic dimension, Yoruba vs Igbo. Prominent Yoruba leaders believe that the good name of their icon Chief Obafemi Awolowo is being toiled with, while Igbo leaders feel that Professor Chinua Achebe said what needed to be said. Other Nigerians from my generation and younger are probably like ‘what the F%&&$k??’

Of course I did not experience the Biafran war but my parents did and so I have ‘indirectly’ re-lived their various war experiences.
My father was born and bred in Lagos during the 1940s, he grew up on Lagos Island, Lafiaji to be precise and his mastery of the Yoruba language was and still is flawless. My mother was born in Lagos too and her Yoruba also flawless. The war broke out long before my parents even met each other but they both had distinct life changing experiences.

As at the time Biafra was declared,[b] my father was a young banker in Lagos, a bachelor and a typical ‘Eko for show’ fun loving guy. As soon as my father noticed the suspicion his presence elicited among his Yoruba hosts he quickly moved to a new location and wait for it...changed his name. My father became known as Mr Johnson in his new location, spoke his Yoruba even more fluently and being very dark skinned no one could mistaken him for an Igbo.

But eventually, he was ‘outed’ by a former neighbour; his story is that in spite of Federal government’s stance on unity, there were some rogue ‘unknown Northern soldiers’ who were fond of rounding up Igbos in Lagos and summarily executing them. And these soldiers did come to Mr Johnson’s compound, all my Dad could remember on that fateful morning was sounds of people outside shouting, [size=14pt]“Igbo ni wan, Igbo ni wan.”[/size] He quickly made for the back door balcony of his first floor apartment, and jumped out dislocating his right leg in the process. He then limped towards the back fence and scaled over it, still landing with the same dislocated leg. My dad describes the pain as ‘unbelievable’ but he escaped, that’s why I’m here today. He still walks with a limp till this day.[/b]

On my mother’s side, she and her family ran out of Lagos and moved to her father’s house in Port-Harcourt, thinking it was a safe haven. Port Harcourt quickly fell to Federal forces and they all moved to their ancestral home in the present Imo state. What my maternal family experienced in their own village was probably worse than all her experiences with the non-Igbos combined.

Apparently, returnee Igbos from outside the Eastern region were discriminated against by their own people. Back then, Igbos weren’t fond of building solid houses in their villages, many had built their houses in Lagos, Port Harcourt and the North. And so, as my mum and her family became penniless returnee Igbos, many people within her community who even benefitted from her family’s pre war benevolence mocked them. They said things like, “Foolish people, you all went to build houses on foreign lands, why didn’t you carry the houses on your heads and bring it over?”

The Biafran soldiers on the other hand were something else, young boys were summarily conscripted into the army. Molestation by Biafran soldiers was so rampant that young girls were advised to make themselves ugly and smelly on their way to the market so that soldiers will not find them attractive.

So, as it were, the Federal government slapped Biafrans on one cheek and the Biafran authorities also slapped Biafrans on the other cheek. But the most decisive slapped ended up being the ‘food blockade’ allegedly designed and implemented by Chief Obafemi Awolowo. I heard stories of how thousands of ‘Aje butter’ Biafran children died off within weeks into the food blockade.

Chinua Achebe’s position is that this singular action eventually wiped off over two million people mainly children and can safely be termed as genocide. Those on Awolowo’s side believe that it was a ‘necessary evil’ needed to make the war end quickly; afterall, how can you feed your enemies? Giving them energy to keep on fighting you.

Both schools of thought are correct.

We have seen wars in Africa that have lasted for over fifteen years, but the Biafra war lasted for just three years. Ironically, many of the ‘long term’ wars in Africa boasted of casualties in their thousands while the Nigerian Civil war of just three years posted a ‘gallant’ figure of over two million dead.

I feel Chinua Achebe’s pains; a man that lived to see an entire promising generation wiped out right in from him. I understand Obafemi Awolowo’s stance, ‘the war just needed to end quickly so that the nation can move on.’

However, the question is, could there have been a better way to end the war? What if the ‘Aburi accord’ had been strictly adhered to? What if the South west region which today is the most vocal on the call for a sovereign national conference stood by the Eastern region back then and demanded for true federalism or con-federalism? I have never met Chinua Achebe and maybe I never will, but I’m thinking these are some of the thoughts that haunt him every day. Especially when he looks at todays Nigeria and the persistent calls for true federalism by many, including ‘descendants’ and ‘followers’ of Awolowo.

I’m an Igbo man and I guess I 'deserve' the right to be biased about this issue. However, I strongly believe that all the parties involved in the Nigerian civil war meant well for the Nigerian nation. Although, there’s a popular saying that ‘the road to hell is filled with good intentions.’

Did the deliberate food blockade on Biafra lead to a quick end to the Nigerian civil war? It did, Chief Obafemi Awolowo was right.

Did this deliberate food blockade also lead to the untimely deaths or genocide of over two million Biafrans? Yes it did. Chinua Achebe is right.

Unfortunately, many still believe that the word ‘Genocide’ is only appropriate when the instrument of death used are gas chambers, guns and machetes.

Starvation is also an instrument of death and unlike others; it’s very slow and extremely painful.

Link http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2012/10/therewas-indeed-country-why-chinua.html
this is the way everyone should have reasoned before they turn to hate. nice piece of write up man.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by demmie1: 1:35am On Oct 11, 2012
re@lchange:
Yoruba cannot be your neighbor
they are evil
they masterminded the deaths of innocent children
today they rush igbo women like scarce commodity
they want to spread their curse to igboland!

stop marrying Yoruba
then again, you've gone crazy.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by cfours: 1:38am On Oct 11, 2012
" We saw Ojukwu's departure. That wasn't a pretty sight either... " He arrived in his huge Mercedes. He had them load nearly three tons of luggage on board his plane and then...Good-bye, everybody."

-The Sidney Morning Herald - Jan 27, 1970

DAMN!!!! shocked shocked cheesy grin shocked

and these were French doctors, mind you. They formed medicin sans frontiers (doctors without borders) during the war to help starving kwashiorkor ridden biafrans. Only to get there and realize their mistake. Ojukwu was a monster not a savior hahaha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:39am On Oct 11, 2012
Katsumoto:

First, Ojukwu would never say that it was a mandatory request that had to be complied it. The aid agencies made the claim, Ntieyong Akpan, Biafra's secretary confirmed it in his book "Struggle for Secession", and it was also voiced by Sir Hunt in that BBC documentary.

Second, let me explain something to your heartless soul. Charities are non-for profit organizations. They are run by donations and grants given by individuals and governments. They don't have deep bottomless pockets of cash. By asking for payments for bringing in FREE food, the charities HAVE to reduce what they spend on FOOD and MEDICINE. The result is that more children will die so that Ojukwu can buy more guns to fight a war he has no chance of winning. He has no chance of winning because he has no money and no food to feed his people. They (charities) would have a budget of say $5 million for the Biafran crises. Instead of that $5 million being used for food and medicine, they would have had to set aside say $2 million to pay fees. Who suffered, starved, and died?

Third, charities decided to supply food and aid because Biafra's propagandan machine cried to the world for help. Its people were dying, it couldn't feed and protect them. The world responded with aid. But alas, when they got to Biafra, Ojukwu demanded money so that he could buy arms. Do you see the moral bankruptcy in such a move? Mr Ojukwu begged his neighbour Mr Thompson for money to feed his children. Mr Thompson said 'I don't have money but I can give your children food'. Mr Ojukwu then said 'that's ok'. But when Mr Thompson got to Mr Ojukwu's house, Mr Ojukwu said 'you have to pay me entrance fee before you bring your FREE food into my house to feed my starving children'.

But I don't expect you to understand that since you are from a 'every man for himself' society.

^^^Your two-faced nature is quite evident in this thrash you posted; on one hand, you evil lot post a video purporting to show Ikemba allude to charging fees BEFORE aid could be delivered.....when i expose the useless video for the Igbo-hating/Biafra bashing/Awo-sanctifying rubbish that it is, you then make a volte face and now posit that "....Ojukwu would never say that it was a mandatory request that had to be complied it...."; and you now want me to go ahead and take the word of turncoats, revisionists, and the very people that supported the war against Biafra?....sorry, no can do mate!

Do i have to bash open your thick block head and spell it out b/4 you understand that Ojukwus' request for assistance was exactly that....a request, and it wasn't mandatory? If i were in his shoes, and was faced with -in a fight for the very survival of my people- an inhuman, genocidal, and conscienceless enemy, i'd make the same request.....i'd show them exactly what my people are up against, and that if their assistance was just in kind (ie- bags of food and medicine which of course we were grateful for), that they may return one day and find the very people they want to assist all wiped out by the agents of lucifer led by the unconscionable awo.

There you go again with your wild accusation that Ojukwu 'demanded money'....an accusation that's firmly rooted only in the minds of revisionists and sadists like your evil pathetic self.

But we're really getting ahead of ourselves with all this back and forth; the crux of the matter is that if that spawn of lucifer didn't see Biafran women and children as expendable collateral damage, and was prepared to suggest to Gowon to mount an economic/food blockade (with the help of Cameroun on the eastern flank) and use non-combatants as a means to force Biafra to surrender (bear in mind Biafra had no beef with this sadist)....but for this, we wouldn't have been talking of malnourished and dying children in the first place, would we?

Awo joined forces with the federal side b'cos he wanted to lend his support and give suggestions in trying to annihilate Ndigbo who he saw as his ethnic groups main economic/political advesary; this was a man that said that if Biafra succeeds in leaving, that the Yorubas would withdraw from the 'union' as well (so he's ok for Yoruba to be part of Nigeria as long as Igbos are involved? undecided), hence giving the core north the added impetus to make sure they won the war at any cost.....you see how two-faced and treacherous this man was?

After seeing how Igbos were slaughtered like rams up north, he still felt they were not justified in wanting to leave a 'union' in which they were surrounded by vipers?; i think part of his fear was being left alone with the core north, and the south west not having access to Biafran oil....also, i suspect he couldn't bear the thought of a successful Biafran nation awash with oil (and where merit and hardwork would take the nation to first world status), while he would be left fighting off islamic jihadists and chewing cocoa nuts for dinner.

Igbos are a forgiving people (if not adekunle would be dead by now), all we ask for is a truth and reconciliation platform where the truth would come out and everyone (including any Igbo so fin/gered) would 'fess up and apologise for their role in that ignoble war.....barring which, awo can continue fanning the devils hairy singed arrse in the hottest part of hell.

Peace out!
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by Katsumoto: 3:16am On Oct 11, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Your two-faced nature is quite evident in this thrash you posted; on one hand, you evil lot post a video purporting to show Ikemba allude to charging fees BEFORE aid could be delivered.....when i expose the useless video for the Igbo-hating/Biafra bashing/Awo-sanctifying rubbish that it is, you then make a volte face and now posit that "....Ojukwu would never say that it was a mandatory request that had to be complied it...."; and you now want me to go ahead and take the word of turncoats, revisionists, and the very people that supported the war against Biafra?....sorry, no can do mate!

Do i have to bash open your thick block head and spell it out b/4 you understand that Ojukwus' request for assistance was exactly that....a request, and it wasn't mandatory? If i were in his shoes, and was faced with -in a fight for the very survival of my people- an inhuman, genocidal, and conscienceless enemy, i'd make the same request.....i'd show them exactly what my people are up against, and that if their assistance was just in kind (ie- bags of food and medicine which of course we were grateful for), that they may return one day and find the very people they want to assist all wiped out by the agents of lucifer led by the unconscionable awo.

There you go again with your wild accusation that Ojukwu 'demanded money'....an accusation that's firmly rooted only in the minds of revisionists and sadists like your evil pathetic self.

But we're really getting ahead of ourselves with all this back and forth; the crux of the matter is that if that spawn of lucifer didn't see Biafran women and children as expendable collateral damage, and was prepared to suggest to Gowon to mount an economic/food blockade (with the help of Cameroun on the eastern flank) and use non-combatants as a means to force Biafra to surrender (bear in mind Biafra had no beef with this sadist)....but for this, we wouldn't have been talking of malnourished and dying children in the first place, would we?

Awo joined forces with the federal side b'cos he wanted to lend his support and give suggestions in trying to annihilate Ndigbo who he saw as his ethnic groups main economic/political advesary; this was a man that said that if Biafra succeeds in leaving, that the Yorubas would withdraw from the 'union' as well (so he's ok for Yoruba to be part of Nigeria as long as Igbos are involved? undecided), hence giving the core north the added impetus to make sure they won the war at any cost.....you see how two-faced and treacherous this man was?

After seeing how Igbos were slaughtered like rams up north, he still felt they were not justified in wanting to leave a 'union' in which they were surrounded by vipers?; i think part of his fear was being left alone with the core north, and the south west not having access to Biafran oil....also, i suspect he couldn't bear the thought of a successful Biafran nation awash with oil (and where merit and hardwork would take the nation to first world status), while he would be left fighting off islamic jihadists and chewing cocoa nuts for dinner.

Igbos are a forgiving people (if not adekunle would be dead by now), all we ask for is a truth and reconciliation platform where the truth would come out and everyone (including any Igbo so fin/gered) would 'fess up and apologise for their role in that ignoble war.....barring which, awo can continue fanning the devils hairy singed arrse in the hottest part of hell.

Peace out!

1. The evidence is there for all to see that Ojukwu charged fees to agencies bringing in food to his starving people. It is your prerogative whether you accept it or not. But the charge that Awo was responsible for the starvation will NOT stick. Your leaders charged fees and also refused to surrender when it didn't have the means to fight. If you are interested in justice for the dead, then you will analyse the information properly and apportion blame where it is due.

2. It was Ojukwu that saw Biafrans as collateral damage. Afterall, it was he who LED them into war, saw them die for him, and then bolted when he saw death/capture.

3. The federal side didn't have to allow food aid in but it did for humanitarian reasons. This stopped because Gowon demanded that aid be flown in day time rather than night time as Biafra was smuggling in arms with food. Gowon also demanded that shipments be inspected. Ojukwu refused preferring to receive no aid from June 1969 to Jan 1970. I am sure you won't see anything wrong with that as well. The decision that led to aid being stopped was made by Ojukwu.

4. Your comments about how Awo saw Ndigbo is pure conjecture; you are not able to read Awo's mind and as Awo didn't make any statements to that effect, you are talking out of your AR.SE. There was a need to keep Ndigbo in the nation. Afterall, Awo didn't really want Nigeria. Bello agreed to Nigeria on the condition that the North ruled and Zik went with Nigeria for whatever reason. Similarly, all the dangerous and violent events which led to the secession bid were caused by Ndigbo anyway. It was Ndigbo that murdered everyone else but their own. It was Ndigbo (Nwafor Orizu and Ironsi) who seized power after the failed coup. It was Ironsi who promulgated decree 34 which unified the nation. Ironically, Ojukwu embraced decree 34 in March 1966 but switched to confederationism after Ndigbo lost out in the power struggle with the North. For those factors, Ndigbo wouldn't be allowed to leave the union. Just the principle.

5. Igbos were slaughtered in the North before Independence but not only did Zik vote for one Nigeria, he delayed independence for three years and aligned with the same North all in a bid for personal power. The pogroms were regretable and Ndigbo had retreated to the East after the pogroms. There was no army marching into Alaigbo to kill anyone. There was no need to declare secession. Ndigbo just needed to stay in Alaigbo just as it would have done had it succeeded with the secession. In any case, the real reason Biafra went to war was because Gowon did not implement one provision from Aburi. Ojukwu demanded that the Head of state not be able to appoint the regional governors. So he could have stayed in power as long as he and/or Ndigbo allowed it.

6. Perhaps it was Ndigbo that coveted Niger Delta Oil.

7. Ndigbo couldn't get Adekunle during the war, so you would have attempted to kill a soldier in peacetime? How brave would that have been.?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by chino11(m): 9:55am On Oct 11, 2012
Awoalowoa was evil no wonder he committed suicide..

He should be exhumed and sent to the Hagues
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by T9ksy(m): 10:24am On Oct 11, 2012
Igbos were slaughtered in the North before Independence but not only did Zik vote for one Nigeria, he delayed independence for three years and aligned with the same North all in a bid for personal power

I have always wondered why the ibos still went and aligned themselves with the north? I mean,
the sardunna and his people have never hidden the way they feel about the ibos but its on record that its on ly the ibos who were for ONE nigeria.

In any case, the real reason Biafra went to war was because Gowon did not implement one provision from Aburi. Ojukwu demanded that the Head of state not be able to appoint the regional governors. So he could have stayed in power as long as he and/or Ndigbo allowed it.

And for the bolded reason above, 3 million nigerians had to die. No wonder ojukwu kept insisting

"on Aburi we stand" without expressing what actually he disagreed with as per the accord signed by the two warring parties.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by ebere1712: 11:21am On Oct 11, 2012
When you debate with fools, you look like one of them. I will let y'all run amok and spread as much lies as you want to. I have better things to do with my time. Yoroslaves, you are on your own, Keep living in delusions. In the right time, you'all would receive the rude awakening. Free yourselves from your stupidity.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by MegaMan2020: 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
ACM10:

cool
Nice comment! Ndigbo have moved on. Events of that era was very painful. But it is not as painful as the present day denials and justification from the Yorubas. The way the Armenians feels whenever Turkey denies or justifies genocide is the way Ndigbo feels whenever Yoruba justifies the shameful conducts of their leaders. In fact, it is an insult to the collective sensibilities of Ndigbo whenever such things happen. Nevertheless, we still extend the hand of friendship to our southern neighbours including the Yorubas. Ndigbo do not hate Yorubas!

Clearly you haven't because you people are still crying about it to this day.
Re: An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe by MegaMan2020: 2:10pm On Oct 11, 2012
Eziachi:
It seems you have read the so-called offensive book. Which page and paragaph are you refering to?
Your lame argument about Igbos residency in Lagos as Yoruba's humanity is not only childish but meaningless. Lagos is part and parcel of Nigeria and Ndigbo were killed in their millions in order to be part of Nigeria, I don't see how living in a city in your own country translates to generosity.

There are more Igbos living in DouaIa or Libreville by double than Igbos residing in lagos. Still Igbos doesn't go all day prostrating to them. If they don't like them, they will revoke their visas.

If you hate anybody outside your tribe in your perceived land please, don't get ants in your pants anytime you hear about dissolution of Nigeria. Support it and then you can close your doors like North Korea. You can't have it both ways- one Nigeria on one hand and stay in yours on the other hand and every month your governor will go to Abuja to collect money that was derived from another persons land.
Lagos is not better to Oron. Ikot Abasi, James Town, Atabong without one Nigeria and the owners of Lagos ( Aworis) knew that fact, hence they go about their business without fuss. Its only those as arrivals as Ndigbo that kept making noise in a city they had very little stake in its wealth.

I had never heard the English asking the Scots to be grateful of living in London, just because they wanted full independence for Scotland from GB.
Any Hausa, Yoruba, Efik who decide to live in Umuahia is welcomed and doesn't owe any Igbo man any gratitude, THAT IS HOW A SANE PERSON SHOULD REASON.

That's because the Scots behave themselves and don't act like they own the place. Unlike the Igbos in Lagos who have brought nothing but fake drugs and kidnappers with them. The truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Owners Of Nigerian Private Jet Seized In S A With $9.3m Cash Release Statement / Abomination!!!!!!! Ikechukwu Arrested For Defiling His 3 Daughters / Top 5 Trade Unions In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.