Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan (5409 Views)

Judge’s Absence Stalls Trial Of Kanu, Radio Biafra Director - Vanguard / If APC Wins Presidency 2015, I Will Cease To Be A Nigerian - Himkers / Presidency 2015: Court Determines Jonathan’s Eligibility Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by semid4lyfe(m): 6:42pm On Oct 18, 2012
The inexplicable absence of Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi of an Abuja High Court on Thursday stalled the scheduled delivery of the judgment in a suit instituted by a Peoples Democratic Party chieftain to prevent President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2015 Presidential election.

The court had earlier scheduled to deliver its decision on the matter for today but the event was stalled as the judge was said not to be around to deliver the judgment which, P M News learnt, was ready to be delivered.

A female court official who declined to be named said the judge traveled out of the jurisdiction but could not say whether the judge was attending a conference or any other official assignment that made him to be absent from his duty post.

The President’s party chieftain, Mr. Cyriacus Njoku, was miffed with Jonathan’s statement earlier in March that he is serving his first term in office as the elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Njoku subsequently dragged him to court urging that Jonathan should be declared unfit to contest the 2015 election as he is currently serving his second term of office.

Mr. Njoku, before the present suit, had attempted to stop the President from contesting the 2011 Presidential election on the ground that Jonathan’s candidacy violated the zoning principle of their party, PDP.

He however failed to get Jonathan disqualified as the court declined to stop the President from running for office. Jonathan went on to participate in the election and was declared winner by the Independent National Election Commission, INEC.

The President and his aides have consistently maintained that he is currently serving his first term of four years in office as the President of the federal Republic of Nigeria as provided by the 1999 constitution.

Jonathan has also emphasized that he has not indicated or announced anywhere that he would contest the presidential elections in 2015 and had described the suit against an undeclared ambition as frivolous and vexatious.

A Senior Special Assistant to the President, Mr Mattew Aikhionbare and Dr Reuben Abati, the Presidential Spokesman, both spoke in support of their principal whom, they argued is currently doing his first term of 4 years in office as the president of Nigeria as provided by the 1999.

They argued that the Nigerian constitution only makes provisions for a president to contest for not more than 2 terms of 4 years each and that their principal has not indicated or announced anywhere whether in words or in writing that he will contest for the presidential elections to be conducted in 2015.

The court official promised to contact the lawyers for a new date for the judgment to be delivered.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/18/2015-judges-absence-postpones-verdict-on-jonathan/
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
Why should anyone even be debating whether Jonathan is qualified to run in 2015. Doesn't the constitution give rule for two terms? He's more than qualified to run in 2015 but whether i want him back is a topic for another day.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Policewoman(f): 6:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
And who is the dumba$$ questioning Ebele's suitability to run in 2015? On what grounds if i may ask?
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
People have let their hatred for GEJ to make their reasoning very biased.
Fine, he may have acted as president, but dat was different from being elected. Take it or leave it, he's just serving his first term as an ELECTED president, and is very fit for contesting come 2015.

But hey!, woe betide my arrse if i vote for the retardeen in 2015! angry he shouldn't even try re-contesting, i've had enough of his cluelessness. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by packman: 7:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
space for sale TIRED OF GEJ THREADS(to buy call) 08099980080 grin grin grin grin
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
I wil miss gej by d time he finishes his 2nd term in 2019

3 Likes

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by danjohn: 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the President on this one. He finished Yaradua's term and now he is serving his first term. It will be a very bad precedent if the court rules against him.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by manny4life(m): 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
Truth be told, GEJ is qualified for a second term. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by mu2sa2: 7:16pm On Oct 18, 2012
The plaintiff is surely raising a valid legal issue. And timely too. Gej contested on one tikect with Yar'adua. In presidential and governorship elections the candidates and the deputy candidates contest on joint tickets - so has held the courts (Atiku/Boni haruna in Adamawa governership). When Yar'adua died Gej assumed his position and completed his first term as president. In 2011 Gej contested again and was declared winner. He is therefore now serving his second and final term in office as president. It's good for the court to declare the legal status of Gej now so that we can face 2015 squarely without the distraction of whether or not Gej has declared his intention to contest. D only saving grace for Gej is that judges are now corrupt and therefore unreliable- he can do what he did before to hav the courts to say what he wants. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
I think the plaintiff is ignorant. He needs to differentiate the word "ELECTED" and "APPOINTED". Constitution stated maximum of 2 terms of 4 years single terms each to be ELECTED, and also made provision for APPOINTMENT of vice president to become president in the event of the demise of President. I doubt if the plaintiff had a copy of the constitution when he filed this case. No put sand sand for my garri oh.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by MadCow1: 7:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
This is a matter of jurisprudence..

I'm interested in hearing the verdict on this one..
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by IYANGBALI: 7:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
All I know be say I no go vote for am again lai lai

2 Likes

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by flexya: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
mu2sa2: The plaintiff is surely raising a valid legal issue. And timely too. Gej contested on one tikect with Yar'adua. When Yar'adua died Gej assumed his position and completed his first term as president. In 2011 Gej contested again and was declared winner. He is therefore now serving his second and final term in office as president. It's good for the court to declare the legal status of Gej now so that we can face 2015 squarely without the distraction of whether or not Gej has declared his intention to contest.

Thank u my brother. It requires judicial pronouncement cos it is causin some confusion in legal circles. Only non legal minds think its clear cut. No matter the judgement, this matter will reach Supreme Court. When Alao Akala was about 2 contest in 2011, some people challenged his eligibility on the grounds that he had served 11months as governor when Ladoja was impeached (in 2006). They argued that allowin him 2 contest opened up the possibility of a 3rd term ie 8yrs and 11months as govnor (if he won). The plaintiff argued this was against the constitution. The court (high court) ruled otherwise sayin since Ladojas impeachment was annuled, so was Akalas 11months in power. The case never went 2 appeal/supreme. Now fast forward a few months and the case of Silva, Nyako and idris. The facts wit Akala shared resemblance in the sense that a part of the periods they held sway as governors were annulled by competent courts of law and consequently does not exist in the eye of the law. High Court and Court of Appeal supported this view until the Supreme court stepped in and said "No where in the constitution was it envisaged that anyone would spend more dan 8yrs as the Chief Executive of the State".

Now these two positions av created ambiguity. Take a scenario where a president dies 1 dy into office and the VP takes over. The VP then rules as president for 364days. Will he then be entitled to 2 more (fresh) terms? People keep forgetin that the president cannot/did not run alone. He runs on a joint ticket wit his VP. Dats why they call it "the presidency". Supreme Court, please step in.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by AlterEgoTM: 7:42pm On Oct 18, 2012
Y'all shouldnt forget that the same constitution also says yhu can't be sworn in as president mur than twice. GEJ has been sworn in twice already!
So y'all should just chill and let the court of law in its wisdom interprete this intricate aspect of our constitution for the betterment of our polity.

1 Like

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by flexya: 7:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
mu2sa2: The plaintiff is surely raising a valid legal issue. And timely too. Gej contested on one tikect with Yar'adua. In presidential and governorship elections the candidates and the deputy candidates contest on joint tickets - so has held the courts (Atiku/Boni haruna in Adamawa governership). When Yar'adua died Gej assumed his position and completed his first term as president. In 2011 Gej contested again and was declared winner. He is therefore now serving his second and final term in office as president. It's good for the court to declare the legal status of Gej now so that we can face 2015 squarely without the distraction of whether or not Gej has declared his intention to contest. D only saving grace for Gej is that judges are now corrupt and therefore unreliable- he can do what he did before to hav the courts to say what he wants. Shikena!

@mu2sa2: please enlighten me on the facts of Atiku/Haruna case as I wasn't in Nija then. Was Atiku ever sworn in or was he picked as vp whilst he was still governor-elect cos that case might be the only precedence needed. Also was that a Supreme court judgement of lower court?
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by slimming: 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
The hand of the presidency at work.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
He is Eligible! But he will not be re-elected! Based on his "acting term' and "elected term" performance, he is simply incapable and Nigerians want him fired!!!! Any sort of rigging that might get his sorry as* re-elected will spell the end of Nigeria!!!!

1 Like

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
IYA NGBALI: All I know be say I no go vote for am again lai lai
so you dey among the clueless jumen wey vote am, abi? See ur heard angry shey u see wetin dey cause now shey

My first name prize don high fish grin
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by mu2sa2: 8:11pm On Oct 18, 2012
flexya:

@mu2sa2: please enlighten me on the facts of Atiku/Haruna case as I wasn't in Nija then. Was Atiku ever sworn in or was he picked as vp whilst he was still governor-elect cos that case might be the only precedence needed. Also was that a Supreme court judgement of lower court?
In 1999 Atiku/ Boni haruna were nominated by PDP to contest Adamawa state governorship.They won. Atiku was then picked as Obasanjo's running mate in the presdential election of the same year. Haruna was challenged at the elections petition tribunal on the ground that he contested as the deputy governorship candidate and should not be sworn in as governor. The tribunal ruled that under the 1999 constitution the candidates contested on a joint ticket.Atiku was not sworn in as governor. That's what I can recall.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Maxymilliano(m): 8:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
Like a poster said, it's a matter of jurisprudence, and it's left to the court to decide...
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Obinoscopy(m): 8:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
Even the plaintiff in this case knows the fact. GEJ is eligible to contest. I even suspect the plaintiff is simply acting the script of the ruling class so as to make ready our minds for the possibility of GEJ's rerun. The fact that the plaintiff is also from PDP further deepens my suspicion
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Akpan107(m): 8:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
booqee: People have let their hatred for GEJ to make their reasoning very biased.
Fine, he may have acted as president, but dat was different from being elected. Take it or leave it, he's just serving his first term as an ELECTED president, and is very fit for contesting come 2015.

But hey!, woe betide my arrse if i vote for the retardeen in 2015! angry he shouldn't even try re-contesting, i've had enough of his cluelessness. Thank you very much!
You started well but ended badly...
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by chucky234(m): 9:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
Stumbled on this on my FB wall and
thought I should share to put some
laughter on your face and ease the
stress off your day,read below:
GEJ met with the Queen of
England. He asked her, "Your Majesty,
how do you run such an efficient
government? Are there...any tips you
can give to me? I want to help Nigeria" "Well," said the Queen, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people." Jonathan frowned, and then asked, "But how do I know the people around me are really intelligent?" The Queen took a sip off her cup of tea. "Oh, that's easy; you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle." The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. "Please...send Tony Blair in here, would you?" Tony Blair walked into the room and said,"Yes, Your Majesty?" The Queen smiled and said, "Answer me this please. Tony,your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?" Without pausing for a moment, Tony Blair answered, "That
would be me." "Yes! Very good," said
the Queen. Jonathan went back home
to ask N.Sambo, his vice president the same question. "Sambo, answer this for me, Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?" "I'm not sure, said Sambo. "Let me get back to you on that one..." He went to his advisors and asked every one, but none could give him an answer. Finally, one night, he ran into Dora Akunyili Sambo asked, “Dora, can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister.
Who is it?" Dora answered sharply,
"That's easy, it's me! Sambo smiled,
and said,"Thanks!" Then,he went back to speak with Jonathan.
"Sir,I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It's Dora Akunyili" Jonathan got up angrily,frownin, he said to Sambo. No wonder Nigeria isn't moving forward, I don't have intelligent people around me.! You Dummy! The answer is Tony Blair!!!!

1 Like

Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by collins123(m): 9:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
chucky234: Stumbled on this on my FB wall and
can give to me? I want to help Nigeria" "Well," said the Queen, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people." Jonathan frowned, and then asked, "But how do I know the people around me are really intelligent?" The Queen took a sip off her cup of tea. "Oh, that's easy; you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle." The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. "Please...send Tony Blair in here, would you?" Tony Blair walked into the room and said,"Yes, Your Majesty?" The Queen smiled and said, "Answer me this please. Tony,your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?" Without pausing for a moment, Tony Blair answered, "That
to ask N.Sambo, his vice president the same question. "Sambo, answer this for me, Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?" "I'm not sure, said Sambo. "Let me get back to you on that one..." He went to his advisors and asked every one, but none could give him an answer. Finally, one night, he ran into Dora Akunyili Sambo asked, “Dora, can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister.
"Sir,I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It's Dora Akunyili" Jonathan got up angrily,frownin, he said to Sambo. No wonder Nigeria isn't moving forward, I don't have intelligent people around me.! You Dummy! The answer is Tony Blair!!!!

Now that was a very funny piece. So the 'Retardeen' is indeed dumb!!!!
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by barikay: 9:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
From another angle of view, if u are a vp to a siting president and d president rules for 8yrs tenure, u are authomatically nt qualify to contest. If d judge rule against him. Rubbish
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by takedat(m): 10:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
None has deemed it fit to question the rationale behind the Judge's absence but are quick to dispute the motive of the plaintiff.
GEJ and Yaradua were both elected on the same ticket which qualified him to take over from him. So the argument that he was not voted for is base less.
If the constitution states that one is only permitted to contest elections for a max of Two terms and 8yrs. It is only the Court that can interpret then cos if he seeks re election in 2015 then he would have used more than 9yrs.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
gommex: I wil miss gej by d time he finishes his 2nd term in 2019

Are u sure nigeria will remain one?
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Demdem(m): 10:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
manny4life: Truth be told, GEJ is qualified for a second term. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I agree with u. Me think he is qualified. It's good the case is in court, judgement like this will be beneficial for our democratic process.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Demdem(m): 10:28pm On Oct 18, 2012
IYA NGBALI: All I know be say I no go vote for am again lai lai

I feel u. I can only hope that the judge will factor in the sufferings of my countrymen and spare us another 4yrs of cluelessness.
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by Debroslink: 10:32pm On Oct 18, 2012
chucky234: Stumbled on this on my FB wall and

LWKMD................................. This joke just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan by crisycent: 10:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
GEJ will contest and win in 2015 and nothing go happen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where R Those Who Protested Subsidy Removal? / Warning To The Entire Black Race- The Enemies Are Using Our Women Against Us. / Tinubu In Total Shock, As The Minister Of Power, Works And Housing, Babatude Fas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.