Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,906 members, 7,841,404 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Berti Vogts Must Go - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Berti Vogts Must Go (12164 Views)

Poll: Should Berti Vogts be sacked?

Yes: 74% (182 votes)
No: 25% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

Ex-Germany Boss Berti Vogts Tells Why Gareth Bale Won't Make It / Berti Vogts Pelted With Toilet Paper In Azerbajan. / Berti Vogts Drags Nff To Fifa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by ife01(m): 11:44pm On Jan 26, 2008
Na wa o!!!
Since dey don born me wey I dey watch Naija play for Nations Cup, @ least we dey pass 1st round - this tournament is worst.

Synonym for Berti Vogts na Failure, NFA na disappointment and Super Eagles Nonsense.

HOW THEM NO GO QUALIFY? HOW?

see wetin this guy write for here sef http://ghana2008.bundublog.com/2008/01/26/nigeria-gradually-going-out-of-the-nations-cup/
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by princekay1(m): 12:00am On Jan 27, 2008
its over for super failures!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by triistar86: 1:09am On Jan 27, 2008
Every body don speak ma mind finish, Na wa Nigerians dey quick vex sha. Make una take am easy wif Vogts,NFA and the players. My prayer be say Tomorrow go better 4 nigerian Football even though it seems as if all hopes don waka go CIV and the other countries wey dey dazzle for the competition make una no worry the crawling eagles go fly again. And somebody said Amen,
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by RuuDie(m): 1:43am On Jan 27, 2008
Vogts, vogts, vogts. . . . . .
Pls give d man a break. This man tried his best, when was d last time a naija team reported 2 camp a full 2wks b4 a tourney

Sm pple have mentioned names like odia, ayila, oruma, obodo etc. When was d last time have u seen or heard that this playas kicked a ball
Yes vogts took 7 strikers, do we have any recognized wingers anymore
Those that were asking 4 uche, nsofor, osaze after the CIV game, shebi they played? What difference did they make
With 1 or 2 xceptions, vogts picked just about naija's best & in form set of playas, for sm reason they just refused 2 perform or maybe they're not as good as we make em 2 be. Yes, the manager always takes the fall, but we also have 2 xamine the playas!
Look @ cameroon, did the coach do any magic No! The boys knew the onus was on them, so they gave it their all. Or are u all tryna say vogts trained our lads 2 play without spirit, without commitment
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by RuuDie(m): 1:44am On Jan 27, 2008
Vogts, vogts, vogts. . . . . .
Pls give d man a break. This man tried his best, when was d last time a naija team reported 2 camp a full 2wks b4 a tourney

Sm pple have mentioned names like odia, ayila, oruma, obodo etc. When was d last time have u seen or heard that this playas kicked a ball
Yes vogts took 7 strikers, do we have any recognized wingers anymore
Those that were asking 4 uche, nsofor, osaze after the CIV game, shebi they played? What difference did they make
With 1 or 2 xceptions, vogts picked just about naija's best & in form set of playas, for sm reason they just refused 2 perform or maybe they're not as good as we make em 2 be. Yes, the manager always takes the fall, but we also have 2 xamine the playas!
Look @ cameroon, did the coach do any magic No! The boys knew the onus was on them, so they gave it their all. Or are u all tryna say vogts trained our lads 2 play without spirit, without commitment
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by McOmo(m): 2:45am On Jan 27, 2008
what is the job of the gaffer ? undecided

get ur boys to do the job . . . if they dont get the job done term them SABOTEURS and resign ur appointement, it an be that hard for the man to do or is it ? undecided

for now, he deserves whatever flaks comes his way . . .TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED tongue

they had all it should take to do the job, so why didnt they do it ? undecided

have u forgotten that not all Coaches RESIGN before they are sacked ? grin

VOGTS-wagen should resign and now ! cool
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by gbolio4(m): 2:49am On Jan 27, 2008
Most pitiable sight i have ever seen, ,

The Great Eagles of Nigeria, that great and infallible footballing master of Africa, using Long balls tactics!!

Whatever happened to our well-known and feared wing-based play? Finidi on the right and amunike on the left??

Now i believe the saying that "Everything that has a beginning will have an End".

The End has surely come for our 1nce great eagles
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by 9ja4eva: 3:49am On Jan 27, 2008
Vogts must go
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by Ibime(m): 4:23am On Jan 27, 2008
Look, this thing is simple. I see a lot of people blaming Mikel and Olofinjana etc.

The fact is that Mikel and Olofinjana have sweat blood for Naija in this tournament. The only reason Olofinjana did not make the tackle on Kalou is that he was on a yellow card and he did not want to get a red card which would have jeopardised our chance of winning anyway.

The problem is simple. Our attackers are not skillful enough and we have no wingers. People say Mikel is not creative but Mikel has not been able to cross the half way line. This is because the strikers are not holding the ball up giving the midfielders time to catch up with them. You need a skillfull strong striker to be able to do this (like Amokachi). We could see that Kanoute was doing this very effectively for Mali. Martins simply does not have the technique or skill to do this (but at least he works hard unlike pregnant Yakubu who is too old and too unfit to even chase any pass played up to him). He also lacks the skill.

BTW, did you know that the man who discovered Yakubu said he was a painter and a "poor man" when he discovered him. He trained him for two years before Yakubu went on to play for Okomo oil in 1997 and Julius Berger in 1998. If he was already a painter and a "poor MAN" two years before he started playing ball in 1997, how old does that make Yakubu? No wonder he is pregnant. He didn't want to play for us when he was in his prime. Why should we accomodate him now he is finished. I have seen him play live in Premiership many times and I can tell you this guy cannot run despite his goals (which are mostly tap-ins.)

Another problem is the lack of wingers. Berti Vogts obviously does not know his squad otherwise he would know that Odemwingie and Utaka are the closest thing we have to wingers. BOTH OF THEM HAVE TO PLAY TOGETHER!!!. Odemwingie on the left and Utaka on the right.

Concerning Odiah and Obodo, there is no way they could make the squad as they have both just come back from long term 6 month + injuries. They need to win back their places at their respective clubs and they are both not fully match fit. As for Ayila, he is good but not better than Olofinjana or even Eromoigbe. I don't see how having him in the team would have changed anything. Our problem is creativity, not defending. Therefore I don't think he would have changed much. As for Oruma, he could have possibly been a solution on the left of midfield (ala Zidane for Real Madrid) but for the last two years he has hardly played much for Marseille so there are questions about his fitness and form.

My problem is this. Why do we always name a squad with ten strikers and no wingers. There is no need for people like Makinwa to be in the squad or even Nsofor sef. We already have too many of those type of players. We have Edu aka Chinedu Ogbuke who can play left midfield as well as striker if he is needed. Otherwise, let us get some home based wingers or others based in other parts of Africa who play wing.

I attended the Naija-Ghana match when they hammered us 4-1 and the same problem we had in that match is the problem we are having now. We are trying to accomodate too many strikers by playing them on the wing. Our strikers are not creative. They are greedy and they do not cross when they need to. PLEASE GET US SOME WINGERS EVEN IF THEY ARE LOCAL BOYS!!. Infact, Haruna should have made the squad at least as a back up to Utaka because we have no wingers.

On the positive side, I am impressed with Shittu, Yobo and Taiwo. Taiwo is now a proper defender unlike before when he used to leave his position open too much. Ejide looks European standard. Enyeama did some good things but I have to say that Ejide is much better at dealing with crosses and corners and that makes him a better goalkeeper. Mikel and Olofinjana have also played well. Utaka is OK, not special but not bad so far. Odemwingie the same. Martins has worked hard but is not up to scratch technically. Everyone else has been a big dissapointment. 

Finally,

MAKINWA AND YAKUBU, please make una go dive bush somewhere and leave Super Eagles alone.

Eguavoen was a small player and cannot command the boys. Please give to job to SiaSia. Berti Vogts, please go home. Greedy Politicians, please leave our football alone!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by davidif: 7:20am On Jan 27, 2008
This is the problem with Nigerian leadership; knee jerk reactions and spur of the moment decision making. They need to teach our leaders and administrators not to make decisions in the heat of the moment when they are all impassioned and emotional. They should step back for like a month, cool off, assess the situation from a broader perspective, gather info. from every corner and make decisions without outside influence (public sentiments). Last time we hurried to make a rash decision was in the 2002 Nations Cup when we lost to Senegal, our brilliant minds at the FA thought it would be a great idea to disband the national team just 3 months before the World Cup and see what happened. Meanwhile Germany who got destroyed by England in Berlin 5-1 (worst defeat ever) and had a uneasy road to the world cup kept their cool and ignored public sentiment to fire the coach and they got all the way to the world cup finals loosing narrowly to Brazil (who knows what would have happened if Michael Ballack had not being suspended for the match?).

Another problem we have is lack of continuity in the coaching ranks. Who knows what we might have accomplished had we kept Clemens Westerhoff, we might have been on the same level with the big boys by now, instead, our geniuses at the FA decided to send him packing since they claimed that they couldn't afford to pay him (i guess Alex Akinyele, Sanni Toro and the others wanted part of the money that FIFA gave us for getting to the world cup and making the second round: over $10 million).

Truth of the matter is that the only problem we had in the Nations cup was that we didn't have a good midfield to supply our strike force with the ball, we shouldn't just overhaul the entire team because of what the fans think, remember leaders are meant to lead and do what's best for the organization and not do what the fans think is right.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by Dawid: 7:33am On Jan 27, 2008
Esss:

THE GLORY OF GOD HAS DEPARTED FROM THE SUPER EAGLES OF NIGERIA

maybe he got tired of being used as a cover for our government ineptitude and fire-brigade approach to tournaments.

I'm sure the Ivorians are also praying to God . . . perhaps He has chosen to pitch His tent with the serious.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by maxjax(m): 7:55am On Jan 27, 2008
$UPER FOWL$ tongue
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by bibiking1(m): 8:00am On Jan 27, 2008
you guys dont even think long term, instead of you people to allow this man build a team for the future you emotional-freaks are beginning to call for his head!
NIGERIAN FOOTBALL WILL NOT ADVANCE IF WE CONTINUE LIKE THIS
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by edwardaigb: 8:28am On Jan 27, 2008
I think we should live the poor coach alone. the problem has to do with NFA.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by winnipeg(m): 8:51am On Jan 27, 2008
Ibime

Apart from your reason as to why Kalou was left to score, I say you are spot on with your comment
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by candlux: 10:30am On Jan 27, 2008
Berti vogts must gooooooooooo!!!! i dont understand Y sum pips would still want this olodo around.

I value continuity, but not wen handled by sum1 that doesnt know is onions. Vogts has failled & doesnt seem to have the acapability to take nigerian football to the next level. all he asked for waz granted-friendly matchs, pre Nation' cup camp in spain, free hand to select his player etc. sum nigerian coaches never got half of wat he was given & we still achieved our gentleman's bronze medal.

all i want now is 4 NFA to sack him & get sum1 that can take our football to the next level.

we need a coach that can source for extremely good players within & outside the shores of niaja

GOD bless naija & make our 1ce formidable eagle great again!!!!!!!!! ; wink
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by Bedoski(m): 10:53am On Jan 27, 2008
He must go by fire by force! He must goooooo he must goooooo!!!!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by Opoki(m): 11:40am On Jan 27, 2008
We should all must believe that Berti Volt or wot is it called has done his best but to us,
his best is a trash, Now let us criticise ourselves,Why was Okocha not invited for the
Tournament,Is he too old not to be able to control ball,dribble and give passes, ,
Wot of Obodo,better still Oruma, But we all believe in young chaps like Mikel,well he
Performed very well but still yet all they've done is nonsense,infact i blame myself for
watching their last match,

now the Camerounians have wake up,
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by hustler(m): 12:40pm On Jan 27, 2008
All i can say is Berti Vogts is a tactically dead coach. All he can do is identify quality players that he's seen and put em on the field.

As per tactics and setting a pattern of play for a team he cant do it. ANother thing i'm angry about is that he let the public dictate his starting 11 for the Mali game. Every body shouted abt flanks,|Osaze(justifiably so) Uche and Nsofor and he caved in. This shows he's tactically dead. Imagine Nigeria playing long ball like a lower division team. What a shame

Ask Capello wherever he's been ppl always complain abt him being too defensive , playing 11 players behind the ball. But he never listens. Sunmtimes he loses, most times he wins. Not even the English press will dictate his team to him.

This has shamed NFA cuz Eguavoen and Siasia did way better last AFCON wne were in a tough group then too. If they are going to sack they should just revert to Egu and Siasia but only thing is they will not get the respect of the players and might end up inviting the ones they brought up from youth competitions as na dem go hear word.

A fit Obodo is better than Olofinjana in the holding role anytime. But truth is we are at a point in 9ja football where our players are not doing well enuff and we do not have the amt of talent as b4. Check the CAF top 3 players for the last 2 yrs.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by LoveKing(m): 2:28pm On Jan 27, 2008
There's no competition for shirts, they just call-up the "big" boys and game on! bringing up a huge chunk of players from the last fifa youth world cup would have been a radical decision but we will be building and growing a league of SUPER EAGLES compared to the Atlanta 96 team.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by pnkydbrain(m): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2008
The Nations Cup is not where superEagles Dare!!!

This was meant to be a Nation's Cup of records. Samuel Eto is know joint top all time scorer with Laurent Poku with 14goals. Nigeria is set to break many records.

1) 3 hrs of open play and no goal scored. It is a dismal failure for the Super Eagles
2) By Game2 Benin had already scored a goal, and may have scored more
3) Best rated team in the continent not able to qualify for the second round.
4) A coach thats very lost playing 4-3-3. He should consult 'The Special One' Jose Mourhino
5) It seems obvious that Siasia and Eguavoen are better that Vogts and his assistants. They just collected free money thanks to GLO

Comment in Passing
1) Our football is declining and we aren't even noticing it
a) Didn't qualify for World Cup 2006 because of coaching error. It had been getting progressively difficult to qualify after 1994
b) Nigeria has always made it to the semi final round of the AFCON since 1976 with the exception of 1984
c) We don't even have a player nominated as African Footballer of he Year. Our football is loosing its shine as Cameroun lost its in the mid 90s

If FIFA and CAF want to deceive us with rankings and the likes, we don't have to deceive ourselves.

Okay. Now speaking objectively, if, if and only if, Cote D'Ivoire wins Mali 1-0, and we beat Benin 1-0.
Q1)Who qualifies Mali or Nigeria. There is no Head to Head.
Any answers.?
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by gidig(m): 4:10pm On Jan 27, 2008
The sum total of all your angers and emotional outburst was exactly the same as it was when Westerhof (now called a hero) came in 89 and we did not qualify for the world cup because of the decision he was making not very popular with many Nigerians. Everyone called for his head but the powers that be decided to keep him. In 1990, he got a silver, in 92, a bronze and in 94, he goty the gold and a place in the world cup as well as giving Nigerians a generation of footballers who made a difference and even got an olympic gold.

We forget very quickly in this country. The Malian team we drew against have been together for about a decade.THEY ARE A TEAM!!! Same with the Ivorians! WE do not have a team. Individually capable footballers, YEs. A team? NO! It is that reality that we do not want to confront. Leave Berti Vogts and his players and lets look towards 2010! The world cup qualifiers are starting soon! Two weeks in Malaga cant cancel out a decade ot even five years of lnowing the individual connections between players.

Westerhof took five years to build a formidable team of players who are familiar with one another! They did not play for any particularly big European teams but they were a team. If we can be patient enough to create that team, the sky is the limit especially with the youing talents that are emerging.Otherwise, we will be back to sqaure one and we will not just be changing coaches, we will be exchanging on scape goat for another!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by gidig(m): 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2008
The sum total of  all your angers and emotional outburst was exactly the same as it was when Westerhof (now called a hero) came in 89 and we did not qualify for the world cup because of the decision he was making not very popular with many Nigerians. Everyone called for his head but the powers that be decided to keep him. In 1990, he got a silver, in 92, a bronze and in 94, he goty the gold and a place in the world cup as well as giving Nigerians a generation of footballers who made a difference and even got an olympic gold.

We forget very quickly in this country. The Malian team we drew against have been together for about a decade.THEY ARE A TEAM!!! Same with the Ivorians! WE do not have a team. Individually capable footballers, YEs. A team? NO! It is that reality that we do not want to confront. Leave Berti Vogts and his players and lets look towards 2010! The world cup qualifiers are starting soon! Two weeks in Malaga cant cancel out a decade ot even five years of lnowing the individual connections between players.

Westerhof took five years to build a formidable team of players who are familiar with one another! They did not play for any particularly big European teams but they were a team. If we can be patient enough to create that team, the sky is the limit especially with the youing talents that are emerging.Otherwise, we will be back to sqaure one and we will not just be changing coaches, we will be exchanging on scape goat for another!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by jaguarB: 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2008
I support it also
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by Frando29(m): 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2008
As soon as I heard NFA was shopping for a coach, I knew things would be messed up like this. Eguaveon was doing well as a coach, all he needed was time to make him perfect. He understands our players and where team needs improvement. The whole team was messed up, from the attack to the midfield and to an extent the defence. Voghts should go back to wherever he came from. The last people that need him now are Nigerians.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by stankion(m): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2008
are we not tired of sacking coaches? what is wrong wit the players?

why are they suddenly heavy in Nigeria? Even if volkswagen tells them to play rubbish?, is that

what they do to get rich in their various european clubs? smtin is wrong am sure, but i dnt know who has the problem.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by LoveKing(m): 5:44pm On Jan 27, 2008
pnkydbrain:

Okay. Now speaking objectively, if, if and only if, Cote D'Ivoire wins Mali 1-0, and we beat Benin 1-0.
Q1)Who qualifies Mali or Nigeria. There is no Head to Head.
Any answers.?

Good question. any answers
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by sucess001(m): 6:11pm On Jan 27, 2008
i quite disagree wit a lot of u guys, i think the players owe a lot of the blame, our passin game is not bad, which reflects the work of the coach, as per the finishing, i dont think vogts needs to start teachin our strikers to shoot, martins is off form even for club so its ok if taken off, we all said nsofor shud have been on instead of makinwa in the first game, so his inclusion is not a bad test, i think vogts shud still be given more time even if we dont qualify, remember that the other teams are really good too, wat bout u tellin me why mikel who plays in chelsea is playin like a schoolboy?
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by texazzpete(m): 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2008
Let's stop being silly here
We cast away the indigenous coaches because we felt - and still feel - that the Bronze medal wasn't good enough for us. We saw inept coaching at play, we saw coaches making team selections based on a myriad of factors,with pressure from nigerian bigshots being the highest.

I will always advocate a foeign coach, because no Nigerian coach will ever be immune to lobbying from the people that pay his salary. A decent, first rate foreign coach is far more likely to deliver results. We all saw what Keshi did in Togo, dropping Adebayor in the Nation's Cup simply because the young man refused to allow him become his agent for the arsenal move.

For me, we Nigerians should share the blame for the dismal performances put up by the Eagles. For years, while other african countries have been perfecting defence splitting quick runs and fast, attacking football, we Nigerians have been crowing about our 'Nigerian style' and how we 'Slow the game down'. Now we are forced to watch enviously as teams like Egypt and Cameroun (not to mention Ivory Coast sef0 turnon the blitzkrieg. Now all we are reduced to is aimless long balls, players that amble wildly around the pitch hoping for a lucky break to score an unlikely goal.

Against ivory Coast, not once did i see any counter attack from our boys. Instead our players happily hold the ball until the ivorien defence is fully restored and rested, before making any move to attack.

berti vogts cannot teach our players how to take a shot. these guys are in their twenties and thirties, how do you cope with strikers that insist on playing weak, ground shots in the general direction of the goal? Will Berti Vogts teach yakubu and martins how to shoot accurately?

For years we've emphasized slowness and individual skill (okocha) over the usually more effective speed and skill combination. Now we're paying the price.
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by sod4luv(m): 6:50pm On Jan 27, 2008
tseew!
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by folahann(m): 7:39pm On Jan 27, 2008
Look at the quality of the players Vogts has in Nigeria and i still hear some people that he should be given the chance to build a team. South Africa is a couuntry that's not supposed to blame their coach instead giving a chance to build a team not Nigeria.
Nigeria ahve the players, the only thing needed is a good coach to utilse the players. So if a coach can't score a goal from 2 matches against teams like Mali & Ivory Coast then he should just be buying his plane ticket back to is Country
Re: Berti Vogts Must Go by anyakarl(m): 8:26pm On Jan 27, 2008
Nigerians say dem nid foreign coach no be person like dis we need sack am just as dem sack big sam. our lcal coaches better pass am.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigeria’s 21-player List For Women Cup Of Nations Released By CAF / Nigerian Water SKI & Wakeboard Federation To Establish Facilities For Training / Obafemi Martins Seeks Nigeria Recall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.