Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,549 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit (10201 Views)

Court Grants Metuh N600m Bail / Breaking News: Wike Vs Dakuku : Supreme Court Shifts Hearing To Next Week / Tinubu Vs AIT - Court Grants Tinubu Accelerated Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Ndoz(m): 6:34am On Oct 25, 2012
JUSTICE Aishat Opesanwo of a Lagos State High Court in Ikeja, Wednesday, granted accelerated hearing to the suit filed by some commercial motorcycle operatorsagainst the Lagos State Government for banning their operations in some federal highways in the state.
The trial judge, however, struck out an interlocutory application, filed by the claimants, where theyprayed the court to restrain the government from implementing the new Lagos State Traffic Law.
The suit was filed by Bamidele Aturu on behalf of the commercial motorcycle operatorsunder the aegis of the All Nigerians Autobike Commercial Owners and workers Association, ANACOWA.
The defendants in the suit are the Lagos State Government, the Lagos State House of Assembly and the Attorney-General of Lagos State, Mr Ade Ipaye.
When the matter came up for mention, counsel to the claimants, Mr. Bamidele Aturu, informed the court that they were withdrawing their application for interlocutory injunction and that they intendedto substitute it with another application for accelerated hearing.
According to him: “There is a need for us to withdraw our interlocutory application so that the court can hear the substantive suit in an acceleratedmanner. We believe that there is a need for the court to urgently deal with this matter because it is in the interest of the generalityof the populace.
“Many of them have been suffering from this draconian action of the government to restrict the motorcyclists from operating in federal high ways.”
The state Attorney General, Mr. Ade Ipaye, who is the third defendant and counsel to Lagos State Government, informed the court that the law was already being enforced in the state.
”My Lord, take judicial notice thatthe law came into effect on August 2, 2012. It was in reaction to the enforcement of the law that the claimants herein only on Monday, October 22, 2012 went on rampage.

Source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/court-grants-accelerated-hearing-to-okada-riderssuit-against-lagos-state/
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by geeez: 7:47am On Oct 25, 2012
Isn't this the way to go instead of destroying public property. I don't see them winnin anyway

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 25, 2012
Future president, General Fashola should have done a survey before starting this project.
Okadas have been helping the state solve 50% of it's transport problems, to withdraw them all of a sudden it very foolish.
Yes, It kills, so does cars.
Yesterday's queue has never been witnessed before in the history of Lagos
well, that's nothing compared to what lagosians will witness when the fuel scarcity subsides.
"Go-slow" will become "Go-stop"

You need to fix all road before embarking on this project.
and to imagine he went ahead with instructions to destroy seized bikes without setting up a system that will curb the protest that will follow afterward shows our leaders can't see the nearest future.

8 Likes

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by achi4u(m): 8:43am On Oct 25, 2012
They can't win this case with lagos govt.
better look for some other thing to do.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by luvinhubby(m): 8:43am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez: Isn't this the way to go instead of destroying public property. I don't see them winnin anyway
Their property was confiscated without court order and destroyed, that also is vandalism by govt. Anyway, let's wait for the courts to decide.

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 25, 2012
Some policies aint wat it. D gov shd just put certain tinz into consideration here, d movt of pipl wil be hamperd bcox of dis ban., d gov pls just allow comon sense to prevail
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Crown128(m): 8:44am On Oct 25, 2012
Is this the right time to do that? A lost case already
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by searay(m): 8:45am On Oct 25, 2012
So Okada has been ALUUed out of Lagos.
ThREAD CLOSED!
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by chemashie(m): 8:49am On Oct 25, 2012
What will happen to the govt properties earlier destroyed by these hooligans? The lawyer must have taken up their cases to enrich himself more, or how do you expect the judge to allow them to ply our express roads?
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Marcela04: 9:00am On Oct 25, 2012
D okada riders made a big mistake of destroyin govt properties, dey should ve done peaceful protest wit thier enitire family i.e wife & children.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by geeez: 9:00am On Oct 25, 2012
luvinhubby:
Their property was confiscated without court order and destroyed, that also is vandalism by govt. Anyway, let's wait for the courts to decide.

The question is on what basis was their property confiscated? In violation of their rights or in violation of the laws of the land? The Law is supreme and when it says don't do this, you don't or you face the consequences and if the law has said they will impound your vehicle, you can't object to it when the law enforcement agenst do following your violation of the law
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by polokor60(m): 9:04am On Oct 25, 2012
chemashie: What will happen to the govt properties earlier destroyed by these hooligans? The lawyer must have taken up their cases to enrich himself more, or how do you expect the judge to allow them to ply our express roads?
what will happen to the siezed okadas that were destroyed by the lagos state government without the backing order from the court of law?
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by jigawatts(m): 9:05am On Oct 25, 2012
chemashie: What will happen to the govt properties earlier destroyed by these hooligans? The lawyer must have taken up their cases to enrich himself more, or how do you expect the judge to allow them to ply our express roads?

EXACTLY, Firstly, Okadas were mostly banned from highways and major roads (So I dont see what the lawyer wants to go and say in court), The main Okadamen protesting are the ones that ply highways and take pple to far distances, that's where the real money comes in not dose inter-street Okadas. Thirdly, they knew they wanted to go to court, they decided to destroy BRT buses .... THEY WILL NEVER WIN.

The road has been quite safer these few days, they long queues and hold-up experienced is majorly from the fuel scarcity issue and a lil bit from the Okada ban.

OKADAS WERE BANNED MOSTLY ON THE HIGHWAYS NOT IN THE WHOLE STATE
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by geeez: 9:10am On Oct 25, 2012
polokor60: what will happen to the siezed okadas that were destroyed by the lagos state government without the backing order from the court of law?

Are you a lawyer? Okay I presume you aren't but I will assume for the sake of this argument that you are learned. You may want to read the traffic law and see for yourself if the destruction was in violation of the law.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by lekzy007(m): 9:14am On Oct 25, 2012
Let wait and se...okada rider vs BRF
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 25, 2012
I didn't realise the extent of the ban on Okadas until I set out to some business within the Ikeja GRA Yesterday. Since I couldn't find an Okada to take me from Adekunle Fajuyi Street to Joel Ogunnaike Street (both within the GRA), a short distance for which the bikes ordinarily charge about N100, I had to take a taxi - guess what - for N600. At the end of the day, my three-way shuttle within GRA alone on taxis cost about 1,600! Ordinarily, it would have been N300 if it were through Okadas. By the time I was done for the day, I had spent about N4,500 on taxis. It would have been cheaper if I had gone out with my car, but I didn't have fuel and didn't have time to queue endlessly in a filling station. Then again, what about those who do not have their own cars? How do they afford to move conveniently around inner-city areas/routes not covered by buses? Taxis? If so, how many ordinary Lagosians can afford this?

You needed to see people trekking like refugees all around GRA and environs. I shook my head in pity; what kind of government puts the cart before the horse in making these kinds of wicked decisions to punish poor people? Where are the alternatives? Abuja can do without Okadas because its abundant taxis are relatively affordable, partly because of the wide roads and absence of traffic jams. In Lagos, that is not the case.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the ordinary man, you would clearly understand how senseless this policy is.

8 Likes

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by mediainspired: 9:18am On Oct 25, 2012
Fashola's real motive is to chase Nigerians from other regions of the country out of the state, since they're perceived as constiuting the major population of Okada riders. Sadly, that's a jaudiced &ethnocentric view, of which dis governor is a champion. I laugh wen ppl call dis arrogant &tribalistic dictator d future president. We are all in dis country, &som of us will be waiting till then. If it ever happens (which is a 1/1000000th chance anyway), we shall know if som immediate coups are not moral... Som ppl act like they own d country &its people. But olori oko mbowale. I just hope he doesn't hav any future political ambition, even tho dat stil does not really guarantee he &his record-corrupt daddy &their ilk anywhere in Nigeria won't face prosecution wen justice takes over in dis country

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by wizzymate(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2012
Pls which governor gave okada riders
helmet nd afta winning he wants to
drive dem away frm the state

2 Likes

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 25, 2012
Sorry.next time u should trek.
pro01: I didn't realise the extent of the ban on Okadas until I set out to some business within the Ikeja GRA Yesterday. Since I couldn't find an Okada to take me from Adekunle Fajuyi Street to Joel Ogunnaike Street (both within the GRA), a short for which the bikes ordinarily charge about N100, I had to take a taxi - guess what - for N600. At the end of the day, my three-way shuttle within GRA alone on taxis cost about 1,600! Ordinarily, it would have been N300 if it were through Okadas. By the time I was done for the day, I had spent about N4,500 on taxis. It would have been cheaper if I had gone out with my car, but I didn't have fuel and didn't have time to queue endlessly in a filling station. Then again, what about those who do not have their own cars? How do they afford to move conveniently around inner-city areas/routes not covered by buses? Taxis? If so, how many ordinary Lagosians can afford this?

You needed to see people trekking like refugees all around GRA and environs. I shook my head in pity; what kind of government puts the cart before the horse in making these kinds of wicked decisions to punish poor people? Where are the alternatives? Abuja can do without Okadas because its abundant taxis are relatively affordable, partly because of the wide roads and absence of traffic jams. In Lagos, that is not the case.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the ordinary man, you would clearly understand how senseless this policy is.

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 25, 2012
Does lagos traffic law apply to bicycle?
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:31am On Oct 25, 2012
This will be good for them. let the govt give them other business option or as well do something for them.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Gloride(m): 9:43am On Oct 25, 2012
Some lagosians are very useless and unreseanable,imagine callin bike men hooligans like u dnt take bike..as a mata of fact bike has really helped us all in dis same lagos and puttin ban on dem all of a sudden is insanity and anybdy dat tinks dis ban is a gud idea is equally insane...these bikers av family and dia also D̶̲̥̅̊ wans payin dia childerns school fees etc,now dat Dia bikes av bin taken away frm dem ow dyu wnt dem τ̅☺ live obviously dere ll be high rate of robbery attack..

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by greall1: 10:04am On Oct 25, 2012
crazy government
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by tunnypop1(m): 10:08am On Oct 25, 2012
Gloride: Some lagosians are very useless and unreseanable,imagine callin bike men hooligans like u dnt take bike..as a mata of fact bike has really helped us all in dis same lagos and puttin ban on dem all of a sudden is insanity and anybdy dat tinks dis ban is a gud idea is equally insane...these bikers av family and dia also D̶̲̥̅̊ wans payin dia childerns school fees etc,now dat Dia bikes av bin taken away frm dem ow dyu wnt dem τ̅☺ live obviously dere ll be high rate of robbery attack..

I find it hard to believe that you are nt rude and insane.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by kennytidistar(m): 10:19am On Oct 25, 2012
[geeez]

Are you a lawyer? Okay I presume you aren't but I will assume for the
sake of this argument that you are learned. You may want to read the
traffic law and see for yourself if the destruction was in violation of
the law.

my friend thank you for showing your ignorant on social media, you think you know law abi? permit me to call you M/U/M/U of the highest order, dont you know that any law which dose not give room for judicial interpretation is called a decree. why will somebody make a law without given room for defence is lunatic, even FRSC will at most fine you not to confiscate or destroy your properties that is a crime, are you listening. i once called for a psychiatrist test to be conducted on fashola the last time he has issue with doctors some of you still praise him even though he lost wholefully, the danger is dat he might be suffering from unnotice excess stress which may have affected part of his brain. wait for me more to come.

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Aderostock(m): 10:31am On Oct 25, 2012
pro01: I didn't realise the extent of the ban on Okadas until I set out to some business within the Ikeja GRA Yesterday. Since I couldn't find an Okada to take me from Adekunle Fajuyi Street to Joel Ogunnaike Street (both within the GRA), a short distance for which the bikes ordinarily charge about N100, I had to take a taxi - guess what - for N600. At the end of the day, my three-way shuttle within GRA alone on taxis cost about 1,600! Ordinarily, it would have been N300 if it were through Okadas. By the time I was done for the day, I had spent about N4,500 on taxis. It would have been cheaper if I had gone out with my car, but I didn't have fuel and didn't have time to queue endlessly in a filling station. Then again, what about those who do not have their own cars? How do they afford to move conveniently around inner-city areas/routes not covered by buses? Taxis? If so, how many ordinary Lagosians can afford this?

Is it Fashola's fault that you have to queue at the filling station?
These are opportunities for keke oprators to make more money especially around GRA Ikeja. Thump up Mr. Fashola and I urge you nt to relent sanitations and disciplinary acts. The only governor working while others are sleeping.

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by polokor60(m): 10:32am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

Are you a lawyer? Okay I presume you aren't but I will assume for the sake of this argument that you are learned. You may want to read the traffic law and see for yourself if the destruction was in violation of the law.
After passing a law for the ban of okada's on some routes which is okay to some extent,why not place a huge option of fine for the violators of the law instead of destroying the only means of livelihood for these unemployed citizens of nigeria?I do believe they would obey the new traffic laws if they pay through their tiny nostrils to retrieve these confisticated okadas if they should violate the law.The huge fine would bring more income to the state government and the erring bike men would be afforded the luxury to do what is right sooner than later.Destroying those bikes is tantamout to insensitivity/tyranny on the part of mr fashola(a senior advocate of nigeria)which classify him as brutal dictator because the demand for okadas is directly proportional to the overcrowded population of lagos state.The negative effect will be on the masses of lagos state.Most populated cities in the world have resorted to the use of bikes to avoid huge traffic, beijing in china is more populated than lagos and most of it's commuters prefer using their bikes for time factor.Where are the alternatives to replace these bikes mr fashola?
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by Aderostock(m): 10:39am On Oct 25, 2012
kennytidistar: [geeez]

Are you a lawyer? Okay I presume you aren't but I will assume for the
sake of this argument that you are learned. You may want to read the
traffic law and see for yourself if the destruction was in violation of
the law.

my friend thank you for showing your ignorant on social media, you think you know law abi? permit me to call you M/U/M/U of the highest order, dont you know that any law which dose not give room for judicial interpretation is called a decree. why will somebody make a law without given room for defence is lunatic, even FRSC will at most fine you not to confiscate or destroy your properties that is a crime, are you listening. i once called for a psychiatrist test to be conducted on fashola the last time he has issue with doctors some of you still praise him even though he lost wholefully, the danger is dat he might be suffering from unnotice excess stress which may have affected part of his brain. wait for me more to come.
It is only a lunatic, absurd or an idiot who comments this way! Who needs psychiatric test if its not u? FRSC is on the roads to make money from the commuters while LASG ensures the laws are adhere to without looking back.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by talktimi(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2012
Laalamed: Sorry.next time u should trek.
fool.
Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by princeFAD: 11:48am On Oct 25, 2012
It is only a selfish person that would commend the action of Fashola for banning Okada and destroying the seized ones.How can you feel the pain of common man when u sit in ur and drive anywhere u like.The fact that u are very rich and you hv car doesnt mean that u should not conisderthe plight of the common man.This action of Fashola is only meant to benefit the rich and inflict more suffering on the poor

1 Like

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by kennytidistar(m): 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
[Aderostock]
It is only a lunatic, absurd or an idiot who comments this way! Who
needs psychiatric test if its not u? FRSC is on the roads to make money
from the commuters while LASG ensures the laws are adhere to without
looking back.

i have never insulted on nairaland but because of you i will insult, you are silly, stupid, idiot, arrogant, rude fraudstar, incompetent, daft, rogue, animal, insane, lunatic, and armed robber and you are a bastard. where in the advanced world did you hear that an offender lost is properties for contravening a halfbaked traffik law? ho my gosh. and God of the poor graduate masses who ride those okada will visit you and fashola and judge you both soon! let somebody shout amen.

2 Likes

Re: Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit by luvinhubby(m): 12:31pm On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

The question is on what basis was their property confiscated? In violation of their rights or in violation of the laws of the land? The Law is supreme and when it says don't do this, you don't or you face the consequences and if the law has said they will impound your vehicle, you can't object to it when the law enforcement agenst do following your violation of the law
The state should not play the judge and jury,
we run a tripatide system of govt. and the laws are supposed to interpreted and enforced by judiciary not the executive, Fashola erred by confiscating peoples property and crushing them without recourse to the judiciary, that my friend is illegal, let the courts decide on it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

NUPENG Blames Cabal For Fuel Scarcity / Lagos Guber Debate: I’m Not An ‘election’ Politician – Agbaje / Election Observers Score INEC, Security Agencies 80%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.