Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? (7180 Views)

Oh God!!! See What Akure Indegenes Are Doing To Ndigbo Ooo!!! (must See) / What Are You Doing About Your Phcn Accumulated Bill / Nigerians: What Are You Doing On Nigeria 51st Independence Holiday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 29, 2012
To tell u the truth i have göod intentions 4 dis country,but am thinking of relocating,due to the security sitaution,more grease to ur elbow to those who which to stay behind.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
On a second taught is possible to raise an army and apply some real force.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:41am On Oct 30, 2012
I'll help craft a new constitution for Naija that will guarantee true federalism. Without federalism, the pace of devt in Naija will remain as it is presently.

Also, with enough funds, I'll like to invest in mechanised agriculture, in order to reduce the high levels of food importation in Naija.

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 30, 2012
ACM10: Glad to know that u are in medical field! Pls can you visit the threads below to offer your medical advice? Some folks are in dire need of your help. This is the little that you can do to help Nigerians online.

www.nairaland.com/104493/doctor-house-obstetrics-gynecology
www.nairaland.com/3465/doctor-house-free-medical-advicee

I'm still only a health student, but I'll be visiting there more often. Maybe someone can find the small knowledge I have now useful. Thanks for the heads up smiley
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:22am On Oct 30, 2012
My goal was to come home and try to keep everyone motivated with quotes and excerpts that I have. However, I went through every post in this thread and found that quite a bit of what I wanted to post had been said already. That's amazing. I've always known that Nigerians were capable of this. We know we want to see a better tomorrow. I think if we all continue to network and support each other, we may go far in our endeavors. Anyway, I copied the ones that caught my eye here. I hope people read it. I'll be posting them on the first page as well and will continue to modify the page as more come in. smiley

You have to work on and build yourself first, before you can think of giving back to the society.

"PEOPLE WHO CHANGED THE WORLD WERE BUSY PURSUING THEIR DREAMS AND PRACTICALIZING STUFFS THAT WILL YEILD RESULTS IN REAL LIFE,WHILE OTHERS WERE BUSY LIVING A LIE"

If u want to make a change, u must be open and be a listener. There is a lot of wisdom in it.

*I am training myself to never speak negative about my country Nigeria. When you speak/think negative, you will get negative results.

Anything is possible if the person in question is willing to put their life on the line to better the lives of others.

change can be slow but it is sure as long as you keep at it.

There is nothing more effective than making the people socially aware to think with their own minds on things. And that includes questioning the present value system.

I have young friends that run sucessful biznesses nd what i've learnt from them is (1) They never gave up regardless of what their environment threw at them (2) They belived in what they were doing.

They say there's a lot of opportunities in Africa b'cos there's a lot of problems. Just pick one problem and provide a solution and you are made. Its not as easy as it seems though but that shouldn't stop you from trying.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:28am On Oct 30, 2012
Obinoscopy: Short Term Goal:

1. Send articles to Nigerian newspapers every fortnight on burning national issues.

2. Participate in constructive debates in online forums like nairaland

3. Join a public health oriented NGO

Long Term Goal:

1. Establish my own NGO

2. Join politics

3. Sponsor a list of motherless babies homes

4. Adopt 2 nigerian kids

You've already done many NLers proud with the amalgamation debate. I look forward to seeing more from you smiley
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:29am On Oct 30, 2012
ba7man: Its quite sad a lot of people will avoid this thread. If it was about ethnic bashing, it would have gotten up to 20 pages by now. Thumbs up to everyone that at least opened it to read or dropped a point here.

Kslib: This thread ought to have gotten to page 50 nah.. Come on,tell us what you are planning to do for Nigeria..even if it's a lie,just tell us...

I'm afraid I'll have to agree lol. I'll bump it every now and then in hopes of hearing from others.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:31am On Oct 30, 2012
Very hard to give up on Nigerians when you read things like this!

My contribution is to use my words to tell inspiring stories about unsung Nigerian heroes and to prove to cynics that regardless of how much we think lowly of ourselves, a few Nigerians can actually make a difference that even the world can admire!

Long Term Goal: I intend promoting the positive image of Nigeria through the media.

SHORT TERM GOALS: Speak to as many people as possible on the need to vote credible people and not along tribal/religious lines.

Long term goal: to repair the psyche and orientation of the nigerian child so he/she doesn't pick up from the trash their parents and grandparents left off. Target number of kids - 1 million

I continuously educate people in my community about government actions and inactions.

I don't loiter my environment (meaning a clean Nigeria)
I plant/ grow trees (meaning improved air quality and beatification of Nigeria)

long-term - remind every fellow Nigerian that we are victims because we choose to be, our leaders are villains because we made them so. It lies within every Nigerian to change Nigeria not prayers, not complaining and definitely not the WEST can do it for us.

I'm currently designing buildings that the average Nigerian can afford. Since Dangote refuses to reduce the cost of cememt, I and my partner are researching alternate materials and construction methods that can force down construction time and cost.

I just want to create a platform/enviroment that will enable our talented youths to show-case their talent and at the same time,improve many sectors of our economy..

MY SHORT TERM GOAL IS TO DELIVER THE LIBRARY MY NGO IS DONATING TO A RURAL UBE SCHOOL IN ABUJA

My kids are thought to throw trash where it belongs,garbage bin and not out 0f a moving car.They are also tought to work hard and be independent ,they can achieve anything they set their heart to

* Speak to young people about business/financial education and the need to wake the financial genius in them.

Planning to create a counseling center,drug rehabilitation center and rendering vocational education.

Educate people

Get the people be informed so they take their destiny in their own hands and put an end to their sufferings . . .

I'm hoping to Fight the idea and concept that the Knowledge of English alone will take u evrywhere.

From bad experiences I've learnt a hard Lesson....U NEED TO KNW A NIGERIAN LANGUAGe.it gives. Sense of pride and belonging.
Even iF its not ur Mother Tongue. But a Nigerian Language.

I only dispose of refuse or any form of garbage in a trash can or refuse bin & if there's none at the time I need to dispose of them, I either put them in my pocket or leave them in my car until I get a refuse bin or trash can.
-This was from pretty boi. I ask everyone to find his post on the bottom of the 2nd page as it was excellent smiley

I'll like to invest in mechanised agriculture, in order to reduce the high levels of food importation in Naija.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by born2boink(m): 5:51am On Oct 30, 2012
A lot,a lot
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Niiade(m): 6:42am On Oct 30, 2012
Staying out of crime and corrupt practices.

Law abiding citizen.

The name NGO seems slandered to me so I won't call mine that, I buy books and educational materials and distribute to a school lacking such and I would move on latter to others school. Also run a scholarship programme to intelligent and less privileged students.

Planning to build classroom when I have raised enough capital.

Keep the dream alive

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 30, 2012
Own a poultry farm in the village and employ hardworking youths, take some proceeds and go to thick villages with relief materials! THERE SHALL BE NO HUNGER IN THE LAND!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by 9jafreak: 9:06am On Oct 30, 2012
SHORT TERM GOALS:

1. Creating Awareness on the death of HISTORICAL EXPERIENCE and the absence of recognizable IDENTITY
i.e. Explaining the traumatic effects of our confrontation with Europe, America and Arabia.

LONG TERM GOALS:
1. Be a film director with a difference.
Produce numerous first-class documentaries about Africa's true history by Africans
2. Re-locate and teach at a Nigerian university
3. Build Primary and Secondary Schools with emphasis on local culture as opposed to the overwhelming dominance of Abrahamism which unconsciously perpetuates self-hate and loss of identity.

Ase!

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
Reduce drastically the salaries and allowances of politicians and use part of it to increase that of policemen and teachers. Then the remainder will be channeled into development.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by deviduff(m): 4:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
What is the country doing to improve me?
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
deviduff: What is the country doing to improve me?

"Ask not what can your country do for you; ask what you can do for your country" -President John F. Kennedy (1961).

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
ogugua88:

"Ask not what can your country do for you; ask what you can do for your country" -President John F. Kennedy (1961).

That is coming from a President of a NATION where everyone is born "Free" and "Justice" is pursued in great fevor as a man who thirsts for water ina sunny desert. Nigeria continues to mortgage the lives of yet to be born children year-in year-out. to think our Founding Fathers built the very foundations of the nation we see today. it is sad but what can you do but carry on with the hope that change will come (someday)

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by TheJourneY(m): 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
My goal is to get myself established within the field of cardiology in the US and properly utilize the opportunity I have been afforded. Attaining success within my primary career would provide me with the necessary capital to delve into profitable business ventures that by nature are disproportionately only available to the rich (hence the notion of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer). I hope to then be able to invest in the youth and communities in Nigeria by building libraries to provide a healthy learning environment, providing scholarships to students with the intellectual know how but who lack the financial resources, free clinics to provide basic healthcare to the masses, create community food programs to make sure the youth while trying to pursue an education don't have to do so on a hungry stomach, build technical/trade schools to empower those not fortunate enough/or have the resources to succeed within a traditional educational system, provide low interest loans for small business owners in order to foster their growth etc to name a few of the ideas i have in mind for the future. My overall goal is to do what I can to tackle the issues head on and do what is within my power to be the change that I want to see in Nigeria. Often do i hear of great far reaching policies that are put forth with the supposed intention of helping the masses but only end up enriching the lives of a few, with the average Nigerian still left to face the day to day struggles for survival. These were the people who were my neighbors as a child and who I walked the streets barefooted with in my youth. My desire is to achieve the most I can as an individual and impact the lives of maybe not the average person who is still suffering in naija today, but maybe their children and their grandchildren in the very near future. By Gods grace these desires will be granted! sad
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 10:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
centje: Reduce drastically the salaries and allowances of politicians and use part of it to increase that of policemen and teachers. Then the remainder will be channeled into development.

I take it, you are a politician because the question is asking what you would personally do in your power as a citizen .
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 10:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
Curious_city:

Greater % of Nigerians don't know how to do anything that will benefit others. Volunteering is alien to most people here.
All we know is criticize the government, without offering suggestions. We see each other as the source of our predicament.
Hence, the none participation of many on this thread.

A poor person blames his poverty on the rich/elites(tho this maybe true in the case of today's political class), while the
rich blame the poor for being lazy.

We need to contribute our quota to see the change we demand to see, after all, whoever will be in government tomorrow will
from among us. Our government is a reflection of who we are as a nation!!

TRUE
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 11:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
ba7man: Its quite sad a lot of people will avoid this thread. If it was about ethnic bashing, it would have gotten up to 20 pages by now. Thumbs up to everyone that at least opened it to read or dropped a point here.

It’s because the question is an intelligent one which requires a little bit of thinking and self-analysis from me! me! to us! us! us! And this is not a part of Nigerian culture. Nigeria is a selfish country by nature.

Secondly, interest is minimal because there is no opportunity to talk and show which poster is more gutter than the other on this topic. It’s about selflessness. It’s a question that challenges your dreams, ambitions and goals as an individual. There is no opportunity to swear, call women the most disgusting names you can think of and abuse each other parents. In reality, this topic will only attract intelligent people.

Have you ever followed one of those ‘sex’ topics on NL till the end? You won’t believe the comments are posted by people born in a country that prides itself on providing its children with good family values. You should be happy not despondent. It’s all about quality not quantity.

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nonya: 5:42am On Oct 31, 2012
Nice topic.
@OP - glad to know positive people like you still exist

@Topic
Educating the youth and inspiring them to use whatever they are good at to impact the community positively.

To make my mission more achievable, I start from my siblings, cousins, etc...

Positivity and optimism is key.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by igbo2011(m): 3:57am On Nov 01, 2012
I have a site called African Economic Development Plan. I am promoting African art, tourism, fashion, goods, and investing. I am trying to promote African trade, intra-African trade and production. Right now only 2% of global trade goes through Africa, if we can increase this to 10% then jobs will be created, poverty reduced, better healthcare and education as well. These are actions we can take to develop the economy. What do you think of it and how can I make it better?
www.africanedp.com

http://www.facebook.com/africanedp?ref=hl

3 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by prettyboi1(m): 11:14am On Nov 01, 2012
igbo2011: I have a site called African Economic Development Plan. I am promoting African art, tourism, fashion, goods, and investing. I am trying to promote African trade, intra-African trade and production. Right now only 2% of global trade goes through Africa, if we can increase this to 10% then jobs will be created, poverty reduced, better healthcare and education as well. These are actions we can take to develop the economy. What do you think of it and how can I make it better?
www.africanedp.com

Wow you're the one who runs that African economic development plan? I've been friends with you on Facebook for quite some time. I love your contribution to the betterment of our race & our nation too. God Bless you.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by vilively: 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
igbo2011: I have a site called African Economic Development Plan. I am promoting African art, tourism, fashion, goods, and investing. I am trying to promote African trade, intra-African trade and production. Right now only 2% of global trade goes through Africa, if we can increase this to 10% then jobs will be created, poverty reduced, better healthcare and education as well. These are actions we can take to develop the economy. What do you think of it and how can I make it better?
www.africanedp.com

NICE...concept!Kip it up.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by igbo2011(m): 5:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
pretty_boi:

Wow you're the one who runs that African economic development plan? I've been friends with you on Facebook for quite some time. I love your contribution to the betterment of our race & our nation too. God Bless you.
What's your name on facebook?

@vlively
Thx smiley
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
This thread is so freaking cool,, shocked I didn't see it earlier.

Mine is in d scholarship area for females from low income families within the age of 9 to 29. I'll save u all d story and business plan jargon. But it's high time we start talking about what we as individuals are doing or want to do to improve our dear Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by otokx(m): 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Telling the world the true picture of things in Nigeria via nairaland is one way of improving Nigeria. We will not benefit from scholarships, health care or what have you if the thinking faculty, mentality of the Nigerian remains the same. Lets all really come to terms with the situation on ground then can we come up with a change plan.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 03, 2012
otokx: Telling the world the true picture of things in Nigeria via nairaland is one way of improving Nigeria. We will not benefit from scholarships, health care or what have you if the thinking faculty, mentality of the Nigerian remains the same. Lets all really come to terms with the situation on ground then can we come up with a change plan.

"If the thinking faculty and mentality of Nigerians remains the same".

I like that line.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 04, 2012
If I find myself in a position to influence Nigerian federal govt policy, I would propose a federal education grant program for secondary and undergraduate students. The grant will pay for books and tuition. This grant will be part of the federal education budget and will be derived from 3 sources- taxation, export revenue and the foreign reserves.

I think a modest 5% Federal income tax on civil servants, political office holders and corporations would provide half of the funds, while a percentage of the revenue derived from the export of our abundant solid minerals and crude oil should be channeled specifically to such a program. The various states can choose to do the same.

I believe that if such an education grant program is instituted (and managed in a transparent and accountable way), the literacy level will rise to close to 90% because the burden on poor and middle class parents paying fees for their children will reduce.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:13am On Nov 04, 2012
Making Nigerian people aware that their barbaric nature is NOT normal.

We need to face face reality and stop with the denial. When we realize there is a problem, only then can we face the problem.

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 5:26am On Nov 04, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Making Nigerian people aware that their barbaric nature is NOT normal.

We need to face face reality and stop with the denial. When we realize there is a problem, only then can we face the problem.
lol... you.
Re: What Are You Doing To Improve Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 04, 2012
Shollypopz: This thread is so freaking cool,, shocked I didn't see it earlier.

Mine is in d scholarship area for females from low income families within the age of 9 to 29. I'll save u all d story and business plan jargon. But it's high time we start talking about what we as individuals are doing or want to do to improve our dear Nigeria.

I couldn't agree more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Magu's Rejection An Attemt To Undermine Anti-corruption War - Transparency Int'l / "Martin Elechi, The Elder With Reproach" - Ebonyi Government Slams Ex Governor / Sadiku Bus-stop, "Killer" Pedestrian-Bridge Shut Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.