Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,068 members, 7,956,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? (2253 Views)

Can The SW Ascend The Presidency Without The SS/SE / Subsidy Thieves Own Most Private-Jets – Falana / Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by obitwo: 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2012
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by k2039: 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
Probably because people in the SW are more interested than any other region in being educated
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by sheyguy: 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2012
Enabling environment it is . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by tpia1: 2:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
Dunno.

Accommodating environment i guess.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by obitwo: 2:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
Of course everyone knows that the SW is the most densely populated region
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by 7lives: 2:37pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ask the Nigerian government.
Alright take this, Obafemi Awolowo university and others.
Lagos state and other states.
South west and others.
Private universities are business enterprises, which can only prosper in a peaceful and enabling environment.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Ilaje44(m): 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2012
obitwo: Of course everyone knows that the SW is the most densely populated region
That is not true. The most densely populated region in Nigeria remains the socalled South East. Population density is a function of the population of a place in relation to the size of the landmass. The geographical size of the Southeast is relatively small in relation to their population.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by PaulJohn1: 4:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
obitwo: Of course everyone knows that the SW is the most densely populated region

Even apart from been the most densely populated, I think it's aswell the most favorable(environment) for situating an institution. Plus, most of the private universities are owned by the people there.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by pwettytemmy(f): 5:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
The reasons ain't far fetched.
Far north: we all know what their view is towards education. The few ones dat are exposed are d ones dat makes it to university level. I once heard a man ( while I was serving in d north) dat he has really tried for his daughter and now he wants d girl to get married even before going for service. I asked what he's done and he said he saw her through university. I asked him about masters and he said are ladies still studying that. That's just BTW. You are successful in hausa land with d number of wives n how well they look. North central: (where I'm from) trying to blend d hausa culture with the yoruba owns. So they stand at the intermediary stage in this. Bt a greater percentage are in school. Southwest: a family is termed successful if u av lots and lots of professionals within. I.e doctors, lawyere, engineers, accountants and d likes. Just like someone said, d environment is very important in determining where an organization will be situated. South east: ten shops in aba with an SSCE and you're sure gonna marry d kings daughter. South south: everyone is after our oil money. Of cos u know d rest. Ps: this are my tots n I stand to be corrected. No e-bashing please.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by PaulJohn1: 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2012
And I'm happy Osun wink takes the second place after Ogun with the amount of private institutions, plus the relocation of Redeemers uni to the state.

Oyo was even able to knockout Lagos to take the third place grin
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by seanet01: 5:37pm On Nov 18, 2012
Paul John: And I'm happy Osun wink takes the second place after Ogun with the amount of private institutions, plus the relocation of Redeemers uni to the state.

Oyo was even able to knockout Lagos to take the third place grin
Ogun is da BEST! We have dwarfed all other Yoruba states. Omo Ogun ise ya. We be da Best. grin
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by kokoA(m): 5:43pm On Nov 18, 2012
pwettytemmy: The reasons ain't far fetched.
Far north: we all know what their view is towards education. The few ones dat are exposed are d ones dat makes it to university level. I once heard a man ( while I was serving in d north) dat he has really tried for his daughter and now he wants d girl to get married even before going for service. I asked what he's done and he said he saw her through university. I asked him about masters and he said are ladies still studying that. That's just BTW. You are successful in hausa land with d number of wives n how well they look. North central: (where I'm from) trying to blend d hausa culture with the yoruba owns. So they stand at the intermediary stage in this. Bt a greater percentage are in school. Southwest: a family is termed successful if u av lots and lots of professionals within. I.e doctors, lawyere, engineers, accountants and d likes. Just like someone said, d environment is very important in determining where an organization will be situated. South east: ten shops in aba with an SSCE and you're sure gonna marry d kings daughter. South south: everyone is after our oil money. Of cos u know d rest. Ps: this are my tots n I stand to be corrected. No e-bashing please.
abeg chop kiss jare.. Mmmmuah! You must be from Benue. grin
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by PaulJohn1: 5:48pm On Nov 18, 2012
seanet01: Ogun is da BEST! We have dwarfed all other Yoruba states. Omo Ogun ise ya. We be da Best. grin

Abegi, shift jor tongue
Couldn't even code your yoruba grin
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Afam4eva(m): 5:49pm On Nov 18, 2012
Most private universities are not in the south-west but there are more private universities in the south-west than anywhere else and the reasons are not far fetched. Ogun state has the highest number of private universities in Ogun. It could have been lagos but due to the unavailability of land and space most people will rather take it out of Lagos but still close to Lagos and that's where Ogun state comes in. The universities are not in Ogun state because the state offers what other states cannot offer. It's just a matter of proximity.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by pwettytemmy(f): 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
kokoA: abeg chop kiss jare.. Mmmmuah! You must be from Benue. grin
nop dear I'm from kwara. I received d e-kiss. @op, did I forgot to add dat SE and SS are also having high demands wen it comes to stationing higher institutions, bt d environment isn't dat friendly. Talking abt the cost of settling up a university and d land mass.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by abdulkayus(m): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
pwettytemmy: nop dear I'm from kwara. I received d e-kiss. @op, did I forgot to add dat SE and SS are also having high demands wen it comes to stationing higher institutions, bt d environment isn't dat friendly. Talking abt the cost of settling up a university and d land mass.

my sister, which side are u frm in kwara? i am also frm kwara state too.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 18, 2012
Because they are the most interested in being educated.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by FSU: 7:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
So they can have unbridled access to forge certificates and bestow on every Yoruba a paper certificate. 99% of certificates in Yorubaland are forged.
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by FSU: 7:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ogun teacher wins US visa lottery, replaces herself with her daughter

by ADEOLA BALOGUN

Some of the teachers at the screening centre.

advertisement

An ongoing verification exercise in the Ogun State Teaching Service has opened a can of worms, writes ADEOLA BALOGUN

There are strong indications that the fate of about 800 Ogun State teachers is hanging in the balance, going by the current audit in the state.

A total of 19,146 teachers' records are being vetted in the screening and accreditation exercise, which began last September.

Some teachers may however be lucky to return home having lost their means of livelihood if found wanting, but others may not be so lucky, because they may end up in jail for various acts of forgery and cheating.

Documents obtained by Saturday PUNCH from the exercise showed among others, a bizarre case involving a former teacher, who won the US lottery and relocated to the United States.

But, rather than informing her employers about the development, she instituted a regime of cheating in her family. She recruited one of her daughters to replace her, regardless of her educational status.

Unfortunately for her, her daughter was caught when the verification exercise commenced: she could neither present any certificate nor mention any higher institution that she had attended.

Instead, the young lady wept profusely and pleaded for leniency. She confessed, explaining that it was a plot to sustain the family while her mother was away.

Saturday PUNCH found that this scenario is a reflection of many other cases of teachers, who have been drawing undeserved salaries for years and compounding the problem of their pupils.

In another case, 620 teachers claimed that they had graduated from the same institution (name withheld), but it turned out that only 484 were certified to have studied there. The remaining 136 had only tried to deceive the audit team by presenting forged documents.

In a rare show of desperation to retain her job, one of the teachers reportedly confessed to have paid N30,000 to procure her forged certificate.

To start with, the teachers were asked to present their credentials and other academic records for biometric documentation. About 223 of them boycotted the directive for fear of being exposed, while some absconded midway. Originally, the exercise was meant to last for just two weeks, according to the state Universal Basic Education Board officials.

But with the unearthing of disturbing revelations, the state government decided to employ the services of a consulting company, Corporate Institutions Training Consult, to confirm the various higher institutions attended by its teachers.

Overall, about 62 universities and colleges were contacted to confirm the validity of attestation letters and statements of results presented by the teachers.

According to a SUBEB official, some of the teachers, who claimed to have graduated as far back as 1978 presented statements of results and attestation documents in lieu of certificates.

"It was a harvest of absurdities of no mean measure," says Yusuph Olaniyonu, the state commissioner for information.

The consultants were said to have compiled the papers of the 19,146 teachers in the state's employment and forwarded same to the various schools that they claimed to have attended and graduated from.

In some of the documents obtained by Saturday PUNCH, out of the 35 names and documents sent to the Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Oto-Ijanikin, Lagos, for verification, the school wrote back that it could only confirm 25 to be authentic. It said others could not be traced and labelled them as fake.

Saturday PUNCH gathered that the authorities of Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo, were said so alarmed and invited the police when they discovered the number of forged results and certificates of the school presented by some of Ogun State teachers.

Giving a background to the exercise, which exposed a harvest of fraudulent practices in the state, Olaniyonu, a former editor, ThisDay on Sunday, told Saturday PUNCH that the exercise affected every worker in the state, government, including Governor Ibikunle Amosun.

"We started with a biometric data of every worker of Ogun State. We started first with the civil servants. The governor underwent the exercise despite being the number one worker in the state.

"The actual purpose of the exercise is for the state government to scientifically and physically determine how many people make up its workforce; their biometric data and to capture other details. After the biometric data of the civil service, it was decided that it would be reasonable to have the teaching personnel in the state detailed and verified to determine their suitability.

"But along the line, the state government decided to examine the suitability of its teaching employees, particularly with a view to taking education to the old era when Ogun State used to be number one in the country.

The commissioner said that the quest to upgrade the teaching personnel and its efforts to revive the educational standard in the state led to the current exercise, which eventually threw up the fraud being perpetrated by some of them.

"After the final results of the exercise from our consultants, we may have to hand over the file to the police to handle the criminal cases. Those involved cannot run because we have them captured; we have their addresses, their bank accounts and other documents.

"They may have to face the consequence of their fraud. When a teacher is fraudulent, you can imagine what such would impact on his pupil," one of the top state officials told Saturday PUNCH.

But Olaniyonu said the state government would consider the next line of action after consulting all the stakeholders
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by pwettytemmy(f): 8:22pm On Nov 18, 2012
abdulkayus:

my sister, which side are u frm in kwara? i am also frm kwara state too.
ilorin and u?
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by PaulJohn1: 8:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
pwettytemmy: ilorin and u?

What language do you people speak in that place?
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by obitwo: 9:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
FSU: So they can have unbridled access to forge certificates and bestow on every Yoruba a paper certificate. 99% of certificates in Yorubaland are forged.

This thread is for intellectuals and not your bigoted illiterate self
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
SouthWest is the Intellectual pillar of Nigeria.

SW cherish education more than fighting for plot of land as inheritance.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by FSU: 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
obitwo:

This thread is for intellectuals and not your bigoted illiterate self

Let me give you an example of bigotry. You have been going about disparaging Igbos. Now you will stew in your own broth, fool
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by FSU: 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: SouthWest is the Intellectual pillar of Nigeria.

SW cherish education more than fighting for plot of land as inheritance.

What does JAMB records say?
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by ektbear: 9:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
Good question, OP.

Btw did anyone actually go through that list of 50 private universities and count by state?

Perhaps someone less lazy than I can compile this data... wink
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by FSU: 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2012
Its all about looking for money, riding on the back of regional gullibility (like Yoruba claiming to be the most sophisticated)to form mushroom schools
Same way most pastors milking the people dry are Yoruba
Same way most Imams doing the same are Yoruba
Same way most certificate forgers are Yoruba
These private universities will be a venue to forge as much as they like

Nothing una no go do to get paper certificate

Funny enough most of the students in all those fed, state and mushroom private schools are Igbos. JAMB records confirm that over and over and over.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by kettykin: 10:41pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039: Probably because people in the SW are more interested than any other region in being educated
This answer is first of all misleading to a foreigner who is reading this without any plans to visit Nigeria . Most of the universities are mere glorified secondary schools and can only qualify as a university because complicity in NUC regulations. If proliferation of universities shows people in th SW love education how come statistics from jamb and use proves other wise. And what will you say proliferation of local government area in Kano and katsina indicate, may because NW are more interested in local administration.

A lot of folks cashed in on the ban in satellite campuses in Lagos by OBJ government and the desire of most Nigerians residing in Lagos for further education to establishe mushroom universities fit for churning out area boys and prostitues

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by pwettytemmy(f): 4:27am On Nov 19, 2012
Paul John:

What language do you people speak in that place?
yoruba with a very few fulanis. An insignificant number bt if u are talking abt kwara as a whole, I will say 85% yoruba, 10% nupe n 5% others ( hausa, fulani, baruba)
Re: Why Are Most Private Universities Situated In The SW? by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:43am On Nov 19, 2012
blink182: Because they are the most interested in being educated.

But available data doesn't suport that claim. From available statistics, South East tops followed by South South.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rochas Developmental Programmes Shown On AIT / Scoan Building Collapse Was An Attack / Keke Napep: The Major Means Of Transportation In Akwa-ibom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.