Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,044 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (166330 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 5:05pm On Jan 23, 2013
dirtymoney, as much as I understand what you want to do, the na.ked truth is that even those in the industry will turn blind to your request even if they know what you want, they wont tell you. They will rather see you waste away. Go through this page from 6 to current page and see for yourself.

I dont know much about your field and I cant say much either. But wait around and scantee may come to your rescue. Or better still, search for this guy,T22... and ask him the same question. He should/may be able to help you in your decision and direct you in the right career path if he can.

I wish you good luck
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
dirtymoney: i need career advice here pls. i have an HND in Mechanical Engineering (production Option) from fed poly mubi, i ve completed the one year mandatory NYSC scheme, a member of Nigerian Association Of Technologists in Engineering, i did a HSE level 2 of 3 course while in service, am computer literate, can undertake simple designs using AutoCAD. i have a good knowledge of arc welding and other metal joinning and manipulation processes as i did a part time apprentice job with a welding and fabrication workshop during my ND days. the challenge i have now is, am currently running a post graduate diploma course which is a prequisite for all HND grads before they can run a masters program. but i have this strong zeal to work in a company. recently i ve been contemplating on whether to dump the pgd program and go for a 6months-1yea/r trainning on pipeline welding or any other oil and gas related trainning ( as i ve discovered that most vacancies these days, not just limited to the oil and gas industry, requires one to possess a particular skill or trainning related to the industry), or to continue running my pgd, then masters before looking for job in the industry. i need serious advice from experienced workers (in the field). would my HND + other related qualifications i stated above with a good pipeline welding trainning increase my chances of getting a spot in the industry or a pgd + masters.
Well, this is a tough one....
The answer still lies with you. Personally, I will suggest you go for the short time specific oil and gas trainings since you desire to work in an oil firm. The disadvantage is that you may find it very hard to cross over from operator (or technologists) to engineer even with donkey years of experience, but that's a better option to take.
I will be very frank with you. The problem with PGD+Masters is that it does not give you any edge over a BSc holder in engineering. It may even be a disadvantage. Most O and G firms don't recognize PGD+Masters. I won't want to go into specific details. I have never seen any entry level engineer coming in with HND+PGD+Masters. Even in NNPC, entry level engineers come in as BSc holders. Conversion can take place later after PGD though career exposure may not be as bright as an entry level engineer.
The only exception is if you choose that PGD+Masters path and garner experience from small oil firms (which are hard to come by) before gunning for the 'big boys'.
Or better still, the compromise is to get oil and gas experience NOW (before or after the short time trainings) for a couple of years and then try PGD+Masters to give you more edge in the oil and gas job market.
My 2 cents
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 6:14am On Jan 24, 2013
x-fire:

Well, this is a tough one....
The answer still lies with you. Personally, I will suggest you go for the short time specific oil and gas trainings since you desire to work in an oil firm. The disadvantage is that you may find it very hard to cross over from operator (or technologists) to engineer even with donkey years of experience, but that's a better option to take.
I will be very frank with you. The problem with PGD+Masters is that it does not give you any edge over a BSc holder in engineering. It may even be a disadvantage. Most O and G firms don't recognize PGD+Masters. I won't want to go into specific details. I have never seen any entry level engineer coming in with HND+PGD+Masters. Even in NNPC, entry level engineers come in as BSc holders. Conversion can take place later after PGD though career exposure may not be as bright as an entry level engineer.
The only exception is if you choose that PGD+Masters path and garner experience from small oil firms (which are hard to come by) before gunning for the 'big boys'.
Or better still, the compromise is to get oil and gas experience NOW (before or after the short time trainings) for a couple of years and then try PGD+Masters to give you more edge in the oil and gas job market.
My 2 cents
seconded..
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by olaniyanibukun(m): 7:11am On Jan 24, 2013
mko abiola:
Morning, I studued physics and graduated with a very high CGPA and d best student in my dept. Is there a good chance for me to getting a job in d oil company?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
i really appreciate all your contribuitions. God Bless You all.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 9:07pm On Jan 29, 2013
Log1, the links are still available na.

You this FUTA man will definitely enjoy this book titled "Non Technical Guide to Petroleum Geology, Exploration,Drilling and Production" by Norman J Hyne, Ph.D. I love this one. Simply the best and it's 568 pages. Easy to understand, no too much jagons and so brilliant!

I dropped the link but didnt give the name. So click through to find it. But I think it should be at 4shared.com cheesy
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by log1(m): 12:31am On Jan 31, 2013
@2sexy, the odogwu himself. Thanks, am very grateful for that. But you got me laughing with how you introduce your post. One love
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Pozzy(m): 1:56am On Jan 31, 2013
efe2luv: why is it that when we talk about oil coys in 9ja the only ones that come to mind are SHEll.MOBIL, total ,lng, chevron...i know they are production coys...but when we want to talk about remunerations not only these popular coy pay well...oil servicing company and offshore construction coys give competitive packages too.. It may even suprise you to know that they pay higher than these production companies.....Also for the issue of contract staff n permanent staffs.....Internationally, contract staffs are paid better and higher remunerations than permanent staffs...we have people who go home for example in 9ja 500euros per day rate u can calculate that n see that people are paid salaries of 30 milliom naira or more in a year....shine your eyes it is true without mincing words.....i work offshore and i can confirm this to be true......on the other hand a permanent staff may not receive up to half of his yearly pay....contract staffing in 9ja is being abused by contractors who collect bulk of the money n chop the others....There are companies after paying u all these money gives u a fone for unlimited calling as u like and also open an a company personal account for u where they load it with minimum of 1000pound or so for company emergencies assigned to u..this is not part of your salary o.....guys things are happening in the oil/gas sector that if u hear more u will just be drooling......forget party n monthly food ...thats not the important thing..........Its fun working for oil servicing coys..esp the offshore company cos u dont go to work every morning and come back in the evening...u go offshores and when u are at home u have time for urself no work and your family...u can do whatever u like travel to which ever country u like and be free.....so leave SHELL, MOBIL...LNG...Or the others mata jare......LG....

I studied Electrical Engineering for my undergraduate.. and i want to do my masters soonest.. pls, can u kindly advise me on what course to study that will make me work in offshore. thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Ujawissy: 9:00am On Feb 05, 2013
Can a civil/structural engineer work in an oil and gas company
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by leo2008: 12:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
Hello friends
I don't mind your view on my situation, I have a b.Tech in civil engr with a 2.2 class division, I was adviced that to be able to enter the oil nd gas industry I should do some courses relating to the industry,am on the verge of paying 350k for a two months training in pipeline welding (argon welding or T-fillet welding)in benek school of engineering phc.I want to know if doing this course will increase my chances of getting a job, if it won't please which profesional course do you think will help me so I won't waste the money cause it took me close to a year to save it...tanks 4 ur anticipated replies.....(Pls ignore d typos...tying frm a fone)
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kokosheen(m): 1:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
leo2008: Hello friends
I don't mind your view on my situation, I have a b.Tech in civil engr with a 2.2 class division, I was adviced that to be able to enter the oil nd gas industry I should do some courses relating to the industry,am on the verge of paying 350k for a two months training in pipeline welding (argon welding or T-fillet welding)in benek school of engineering phc.I want to know if doing this course will increase my chances of getting a job, if it won't please which profesional course do you think will help me so I won't waste the money cause it took me close to a year to save it...tanks 4 ur anticipated replies.....(Pls ignore d typos...tying frm a fone)

That you graduated with a B.Tech doesn't mean you're a technician. The course you're going for would prepare you for a job done by artisans and contractors/contract workers, and won't be a leverage for a direct staff position for engineers/technicians (that's if you don't mind) in a major Oil & Gas coy.

I would advise you to look for training institutes that deliver specialized training with regards to construction & construction mgt., environmental sciences (soil studies etc) and pipeline construction/maintenance (Cathodic protection/pigging)/materials (HDPE/GRE/GRVE/SS/CS).. These courses would serve you better instead in your search.

Also, Oil&Gas safety courses (any engrg/science discipline can perform as a safety officer).

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by leo2008: 2:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
kokosheen:

That you graduated with a B.Tech doesn't mean you're a technician. The course you're going for would prepare you for a job done by artisans and contractors/contract workers, and won't be a leverage for a direct staff position for engineers/technicians (that's if you don't mind) in a major Oil & Gas coy.

I would advise you to look for training institutes that deliver specialized training with regards to construction & construction mgt., environmental sciences (soil studies etc) and pipeline construction/maintenance (Cathodic protection/pigging)/materials (HDPE/GRE/GRVE/SS/CS).. These courses would serve you better instead in your search.

Also, Oil&Gas safety courses (any engrg/science discipline can perform as a safety officer).

Good luck
Tanks for the prompt reply, please can you enlighten me more on the pipeline construction/maintenance courses and which reputable institution can I do it in phc.....tanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 3:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
kokosheen:

Good luck
Thanks bro...
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by achu442(m): 9:05pm On Feb 11, 2013
I have done my STWC's wth HUET.But among these courses which of them do u guys advice me to do..Helicopter Landing Officer,Quater Master,Efficient Deck Hand,Marine Engr Assistant,Tanker Familiarization,International Safety Managememt,Rigging and Slinging(Banksman),Aviation Radio Telephone Training....Plz gud advice needed.Thanks..or email me achudebest@gmail.com
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kokosheen(m): 11:53am On Mar 13, 2013
Got info. that NLNG is recruiting Trainee Operators and posted it at the Job Advert section of NL: https://www.nairaland.com/1224150/nigeria-lng-advert-trainee-operator

If you fit the bill, please don't hesitate to apply.

Good luck.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Playgal(f): 2:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
I also work wif an Oil Servicing Company. Is okay but i still want to work wif the real oil companies(They pay better money)
So Help Me God.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Playgal(f): 2:40pm On Mar 13, 2013
why is it that when we talk about oil coys in 9ja the only ones that come to mind are SHEll.MOBIL, total ,lng, chevron...i know they are production coys...but when we want to talk about remunerations not only these popular coy pay well...oil servicing company and offshore construction coys give competitive packages too.. It may even suprise you to know that they pay higher than these production companies.....Also for the issue of contract staff n permanent staffs.....Internationally, contract staffs are paid better and higher remunerations than permanent staffs...we have people who go home for example in 9ja 500euros per day rate u can calculate that n see that people are paid salaries of 30 milliom naira or more in a year....shine your eyes it is true without mincing words.....i work offshore and i can confirm this to be true......on the other hand a permanent staff may not receive up to half of his yearly pay....contract staffing in 9ja is being abused by contractors who collect bulk of the money n chop the others....There are companies after paying u all these money gives u a fone for unlimited calling as u like and also open an a company personal account for u where they load it with minimum of 1000pound or so for company emergencies assigned to u..this is not part of your salary o.....guys things are happening in the oil/gas sector that if u hear more u will just be drooling......forget party n monthly food ...thats not the important thing..........Its fun working for oil servicing coys..esp the offshore company cos u dont go to work every morning and come back in the evening...u go offshores and when u are at home u have time for urself no work and your family...u can do whatever u like travel to which ever country u like and be free.....so leave SHELL, MOBIL...LNG...Or the others mata jare......LG....

Humnnnnn

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
^^^
angry angry angry

But you first posted that below, meanwhile take note of the bolded.

Playgal: I also work wif an Oil Servicing Company. Is okay but i still want to work wif the real oil companies(They pay better money)
So Help Me God

Means that a chance in any of shell, mobil and others will definitely make you leave the servicing coy that you presently work with.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by chudidonas(m): 5:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hello Scantee, am happy with this ur post. Am a serving corp member due to pass out by june this 2013. I studied agric and bioresources engr. Buh wish to make a career in safety and environment. Currently enrolled with nisp to do H.S.E..someone adviced me to do riggers safety too. Pls I need a more professional advice from u and how to secure a job in oil coys as a graduate trainee. Tanx. My email is chudidonas@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by chudidonas(m): 6:17pm On Mar 16, 2013
At scanty, playgal and all experienced peeps in the house. I need ur advice too. How does someone really get a job in all these good oil coys?? Must it be by man-know-man?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by chudidonas(m): 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ok, I understand some of us or our friends need help with NYSC redeployment.. I might just be able to help u. Am a corp member serving n rivers state. Reach me tru : chudidonas@yahoo.co.uk . Remember, nysc redeployment runs start n 2days time. Dnt be late. Cheers!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
@Scantee,pls i need materials on HSE.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by endeebasino: 4:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
Hello house, I need your candid advice. Am a graduate of chemical engineering,among the grduates with a painful 2.2, 3.49 CGPA, currently working in a bank,but seriously seeking a way out of the bank to practice engineering in an oil and gas firm. Pple have adviced me to do MSc, while some said I should do some prefessional courses. I am presently doing mud engineering, I have a practical knowledge of Hysys and pdms. After mud engineering, am considering going for Nebosh certification In HsE. All this certification cost money, yet the oil and gas jobs are not comming forth. My question are:
1. should I let go of these certification programmes and face master, since most of this oil and gas firms insist on 2.1s.
2. Do theses multinationals discriminate nigerian msc as compared to foreign msc.
Please your advice is urgent.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by bizzle2: 6:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
In what capacity do u function?
Playgal: why is it that when we talk about oil coys in 9ja the only ones that come to mind are SHEll.MOBIL, total ,lng, chevron...i know they are production coys...but when we want to talk about remunerations not only these popular coy pay well...oil servicing company and offshore construction coys give competitive packages too.. It may even suprise you to know that they pay higher than these production companies.....Also for the issue of contract staff n permanent staffs.....Internationally, contract staffs are paid better and higher remunerations than permanent staffs...we have people who go home for example in 9ja 500euros per day rate u can calculate that n see that people are paid salaries of 30 milliom naira or more in a year....shine your eyes it is true without mincing words.....i work offshore and i can confirm this to be true......on the other hand a permanent staff may not receive up to half of his yearly pay....contract staffing in 9ja is being abused by contractors who collect bulk of the money n chop the others....There are companies after paying u all these money gives u a fone for unlimited calling as u like and also open an a company personal account for u where they load it with minimum of 1000pound or so for company emergencies assigned to u..this is not part of your salary o.....guys things are happening in the oil/gas sector that if u hear more u will just be drooling......forget party n monthly food ...thats not the important thing..........Its fun working for oil servicing coys..esp the offshore company cos u dont go to work every morning and come back in the evening...u go offshores and when u are at home u have time for urself no work and your family...u can do whatever u like travel to which ever country u like and be free.....so leave SHELL, MOBIL...LNG...Or the others mata jare......LG....

Humnnnnn
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by graciousamy: 4:25pm On Mar 19, 2013
Good day all, please I
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by chudidonas(m): 9:41pm On Mar 19, 2013
Hello house.. Started my HSE class with NISP(rivers) yesterday and it has been totally intresting and wonderful. The Instructors are class too; from Mr Vizor, dr. Williams, omokri etc. Am can only ask for more.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by greenguy: 8:02am On Mar 21, 2013
hello, i have an OND and desire to work in an oil servicing company for gainful experience even if as a contract staff. any assistance please. i456beyond@yahoo.com. thank you.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 21, 2013
Hello house pls after completing HSE level 1&3 @ NISP which other HSE course would u advise I take that would also giv an edge in d oil and gas coy.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by anticent(m): 8:47am On Mar 21, 2013
Pls I currently need someone to take me through the training on Drilling and HSE.Preferably someone living in Abuja. Pls kindly get in touch seun.olatunji@yahoo.ca thank you.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by godello: 9:58am On Mar 21, 2013
Phinga: Hello house pls after completing HSE level 1&3 @ NISP which other HSE course would u advise I take that would also giv an edge in d oil and gas coy.
NABOSH
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by spyroxy1(m): 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by spyroxy1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 03, 2013
Phinga: Hello house pls after completing HSE level 1&3 @ NISP which other HSE course would u advise I take that would also giv an edge in d oil and gas coy.

godello: NABOSH

Its called NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health )

You can take OSHAS too .

OHSAS 18001 is Certification for Occupational Health & Safety

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.