Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,735 members, 7,955,794 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:16 PM

Do You Have An Accent? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Have An Accent? (10435 Views)

The Best African Accent? / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? / Accent That Fascinates Or Annoys You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by tpia1: 12:03am On Nov 21, 2012
koruji: Your statements below show that you are using a wrong yardstick to measure people.
If you lived in Nigeria all through high school and most of the university you are bound to speak in a way similar to those around you.
In addition, everyone in the world has an "accent" - even the English speak English with an "accent".
All you have to do is listen to our leaders to realize Nigerians speak differently.
Personally, I have found that those of us from the SW of Nigeria have the strongest tendency to reflect the local way of speaking in our English - not just in how it sounds, but in the thought process. Although not based on any science, yet, I think this reveals how long the SWers have being speaking/living in this particular way - which is also seen in what little of our ancient history has been researched.

Advice: Listen to what you are hearing instead of how it is being spoken
Don't turn yourself into racists, who use how you sound to judge your intelligence.
Unfortunately, they don't apply this same reasoning to the Indian or Chinese, but see nothing wrong in applying it to the African.

As one Japanese professor, forced to give an English lecture in Nigeria, stated in his opening statement: "My speech is not very good, but my head is clear."

majority of the fellow's posts tend to reflect low self esteem and are usually geared towards causing disaffection and strife.

he's an inciter and rabble rouser, that's all.

good you noticed his mode of operation.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 21, 2012
Ive been told by a British person(and American come to think of it) that I have an accent. Its funny how each person thinks its the other,with the accent!
Apparently theres a Canadian accent.
How I say the word OUT for one...
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 8:49am On Nov 21, 2012
koruji: Your statements below show that you are using a wrong yardstick to measure people.
If you lived in Nigeria all through high school and most of the university you are bound to speak in a way similar to those around you.
In addition, everyone in the world has an "accent" - even the English speak English with an "accent".
All you have to do is listen to our leaders to realize Nigerians speak differently.
Personally, I have found that those of us from the SW of Nigeria have the strongest tendency to reflect the local way of speaking in our English - not just in how it sounds, but in the thought process. Although not based on any science, yet, I think this reveals how long the SWers have being speaking/living in this particular way - which is also seen in what little of our ancient history has been researched.

Advice: Listen to what you are hearing instead of how it is being spoken
Don't turn yourself into racists, who use how you sound to judge your intelligence.
Unfortunately, they don't apply this same reasoning to the Indian or Chinese, but see nothing wrong in applying it to the African.

As one Japanese professor, forced to give an English lecture in Nigeria, stated in his opening statement: "My speech is not very good, but my head is clear."

I can't remember anywhere where i asserted that having an accent is in tandem with being intelligent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 8:50am On Nov 21, 2012
tpia1:

majority of the fellow's posts tend to reflect low self esteem and are usually geared towards causing disaffection and strife.

he's an inciter and rabble rouser, that's all.

good you noticed his mode of operation.
Knock yourself out.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 22, 2012
stupor: Black American Accent.

whats a black american accent? shocked
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Goop: 4:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
H-Star89:

whats a black american accent? shocked

Basically, what's left of the decreolized & depidginized languages that our ancestors spoke(that of which are only 3 surviving creole languages left) upon reaching the shores of America.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
I have a syb-flavored accent, i enunciate like nobody else, and nobody else talks like me.
I am unik , i am "The Original" cool
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by chic2pimp(m): 2:21am On Nov 23, 2012
afam4eva:
It means you're forming one. Which one is it?

Would not say that I am forming.

Basically spent a good amount of my childhood(so that accent came naturally to me) in the UK before relocating to Naija with the parents 4 quite a while(as you well know the Naija accent would take soon take over if you spend a significant amount of time in Nigeria.

Back in the UK now but still can switch between both accents if and when I feel like.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Fulaman198(m): 1:27am On Dec 15, 2013
Who doesn't have an accent? that is a very vague question. No matter where you go, you have an accent depending on the group of people you are located.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 1:31am On Dec 15, 2013
Fulaman198: Who doesn't have an accent? that is a very vague question. No matter where you go, you have an accent depending on the group of people you are located.
Of course i thought about that. But when someone is said to have accent, it usually means the person's accent is not similar to that of the Americans or the English.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Fulaman198(m): 1:34am On Dec 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of course i thought about that. But when someone is said to have accent, it usually means the person's accent is not similar to that of the Americans or the English.

What I transliterate it out to be is based on your region, you have an accent.

Let me give you an example, no matter where an African goes in the west, they will have an accent. If a Yoruba man tries to speak Hausa or a Hausa man tries to speak Yoruba, they will both have accents to each other. When I went to the Fulani speaking region of Niger, I had an accent to them but they said they liked the way I spoke the language grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 1:35am On Dec 15, 2013
^^^ Of course. It's just that our mind has being programmed to believe that speaking like Americans or the British is the way to go especially when speaking English.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Fulaman198(m): 2:19am On Dec 15, 2013
Afam4eva: ^^^ Of course. It's just that our mind has being programmed to believe that speaking like Americans or the British is the way to go especially when speaking English.

Yah, and that is a problem with the Nigerian mentality. It is part of the low self-esteem. Russians speak English their own way. French speak English their own way. Indians speak English their own way. Only Nigerians with their low self-esteem care about how they speak English. English is not even our language......
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 15, 2013
I've got a faint German accent, I've tried so hard to get rid of it. undecided
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by tpia5: 2:26am On Jul 11, 2014
do you have which accent?

i think that's the question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ikeja Traditional Seat: Adeniyi Illo Raises Alarm Over Messages From Assasins / Sösö Ndi Igbo: Biko Gini Bu Aha Obodo Gi Na Aha Igbo Gi? / Okun People/tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.