Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Do You Have An Accent? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Have An Accent? (10293 Views)

The Best African Accent? / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? / Accent That Fascinates Or Annoys You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
GboyegaD: Mine is the British accent and I had some American kids asked me in Church yesterday if I am from London. I also have many of my classmates tell me I talk like a Briton and I reply them that I am a Nigerian and we were colonised by Britain and that is why we talk like them. However, some of these American kids could be annoying particularly when you are helping some of the students one on one.

Who lied to you? Bwahahahahaha

You talk like a Briton in your deluded mind and to Nigerians.... grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 19, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

You mean like the Italians New yorkers accent...That one of the coolest accent.

Both the Italian and black NY accents and style of talking... Brooklyn and Harlem!!!

Philly sounds cool as well..
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
Posh9ky,

What's up? - what accent do you have, sexy? wink
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Clemzy16(m): 6:05pm On Nov 19, 2012
Yea! I have an american accent while speaking english and a Naija accent while speaking pidgin.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by chic2pimp(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2012
Standard British Accent. Though can easily switch to a naija one when talking to my Nigerian/African friends.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2012
abiL:
Geordie accent is so annoying!

Err don't hate dearie, still better than the yuck-ish Yorkshire slangs you call accent... tongue

I have a (northern England) Yorkshire accent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited:

Err don't hate dearie, still better than the yuck-ish Yorkshire slangs you call accent... tongue

Alright cöck! tongue
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2012
chic2pimp: Standard British Accent. Though can easily switch to a naija one when talking to my Nigerian/African friends.

It means you're forming one. Which one is it?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
abiL:
Alright cöck! tongue

Haha, you mad bird? York seemed like a dead city; was there on a tour back in 2010...even Sheffield no correct. You should really consider relocating... tongue
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
Lesotho accent rocks...bigtime

No gibberish or pidgin english just Plain accent
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 7:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited:

Haha, you mad bird? York seemed like a dead city; was there on a tour back in 2010...even Sheffield no correct. You should really consider relocating... tongue

I am from Sheffield mate. Don't diss my city! angry

tongue
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 7:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
abiL:
I am from Sheffield mate. Don't diss my city! angry
tongue

Had a folk in Sheffield last year, dude normally ran to us in NCL every weekend for fun-filled activities... I heard you guys got no pubs..? cheesytongue

Errm, you really from Sheffield?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 8:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited:

Had a folk in Sheffield last year, dude normally ran to us in NCL every weekend for fun-filled activities... I heard you guys got no pubs..? cheesytongue

Errm, you really from Sheffield?

Yes we have no pubs, just a lot of burial grounds to bury you in tongue

Sheffield is fun-ish (London, Birmingham and Manchester is better), but Sheffield is okay.

Yep I'm from Sheffield. cool
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Caseless: 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
ABI LUGBOSO! Present, sir!
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 8:41pm On Nov 19, 2012
abiL:
Yes we have no pubs, just a lot of burial grounds to bury me in tongue

Fixed! Well, I wasn't planning to visit any time soon-ish... Guess imma stay faaar away from you then.. tongue

Sheffield is fun-ish (London, Birmingham and Manchester is better), but Sheffield is okay dull.
Ah know, right? grin

Yep I'm from Sheffield. cool
cool
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 8:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited:

Fixed! Well, I wasn't planning to visit any time soon-ish... Guess imma stay faaar away from you then.. tongue

Ah know, right? grin

cool

I'll advice you to keep your distance cool
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
abiL:
I'll advice you to keep your distance cool

Seriously? That wouldn't deter me tho... cheesy
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 9:28pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited:

Seriously? That wouldn't deter me tho... cheesy

-________-
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by azzima(m): 9:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
brooklyn accent..its fading fast though as I am more based in Lagos now.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by BUSHMAN1: 9:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
wink wink wink wink wink wink i have a cockney accent and igbo accent
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 2:55am On Nov 20, 2012
abiL:
-________-
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by koruji(m): 6:26am On Nov 20, 2012
Your statements below show that you are using a wrong yardstick to measure people.
If you lived in Nigeria all through high school and most of the university you are bound to speak in a way similar to those around you.
In addition, everyone in the world has an "accent" - even the English speak English with an "accent".
All you have to do is listen to our leaders to realize Nigerians speak differently.
Personally, I have found that those of us from the SW of Nigeria have the strongest tendency to reflect the local way of speaking in our English - not just in how it sounds, but in the thought process. Although not based on any science, yet, I think this reveals how long the SWers have being speaking/living in this particular way - which is also seen in what little of our ancient history has been researched.

Advice: Listen to what you are hearing instead of how it is being spoken
Don't turn yourself into racists, who use how you sound to judge your intelligence.
Unfortunately, they don't apply this same reasoning to the Indian or Chinese, but see nothing wrong in applying it to the African.

As one Japanese professor, forced to give an English lecture in Nigeria, stated in his opening statement: "My speech is not very good, but my head is clear."

afam4eva: The good thing about Nairaland is that it hides the flaws of so many people. People are only judged on how they reason and out it in typing and not how they look and whether or not they have an Accent. I've noticed that so many people that engage in intelligent talks in the politics, culture, celebrity and other sections, they come across as people that are very fluent in real life. That's why you see people drooling over people that they've never heard talk or seen the person's face. Everybody just dey blow grammar but what we don't know is the accent that comes with that grammar.

Now, for the benefit of Nairalanders tell us if you have an Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, American, British etc Accent.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Iaz93: 7:31am On Nov 20, 2012
caseless: hahahaahaheeeeeeeee....ele'oo....how u take knw? Na my pple dem...
lwkmd...i get them plenty for here. Na ma pple dem too. church-shurch
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 20, 2012
I speak like an average nigerian living in lagos(born and brought up in lag) I dnt hav a tribal accent but i love the british accent sha.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 20, 2012
mix of New England and southern American accents.
but the funny thing is my voice is kinda child like. grin

ppl always seem surprised to hear my voice. idky. tongue
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 20, 2012
shymexx:

lol.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 20, 2012
Clemzy16: Yea! I have an american accent while speaking english and a Naija accent while speaking pidgin.

cool.
that means you know how to "code switch".

reminds me of my mom grin
she'd be speaking raw patois all day and as soon as the phone rings
she puts on her best Yankee accent as she says "Hello?..May I ask who is calling?" grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by lepasharon(f): 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
shymexx:

Hmmm... Which of the London accents? - North, South, East, or West London? Or just the general one?

east tongue
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Emmyk(m): 1:04pm On Nov 20, 2012
buoye1: ...Bros na d same category we dey i lived in d same Ilorin 4 mre thn bt i dnt av dia accent,bt ma frndz alwyz tell me abt ma 'H' wateva
.. Well i'm working on mine sha.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
lepasharon:

east tongue

That means you've got the cockney lingo in your accent... grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by GboyegaD(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
shymexx:

Who seem more deluded? You have never met me and you sit behind your computer typing the nonsense your brain could produce right?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by firestar(f): 8:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
undecided

[size=18pt]...

It's a mixure of several. As long I am being understood, that's all that matters neh?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures) / Idoma Names And Meaning / Swaziland King Chooses Wife,tests Unclad Girls’ Virginity Openly[Photos,videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.