Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Do You Have An Accent? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Have An Accent? (10305 Views)

The Best African Accent? / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? / Accent That Fascinates Or Annoys You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
lepasharon: i have a london accent cheesy

Don't lie.. undecided
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
I'm from nibiru and you lot should know I speak the language of the ancient Egyptians... grin

Ancient Egyptians' accent [size=4pt]South London accent[/size]
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
If you have got a scottish, welsh, scouse, west midlands, or northern england accent - you're on your own! grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by purplebrown: 2:17pm On Nov 19, 2012
I have a South African accent coz my parents moved here from Lagos, I was born in lagos and moved when I was 2yrs old so the South African accent is all I have though my parents still have about 50% of naija accent. Yoruba baby!!
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by FlamingGun: 2:31pm On Nov 19, 2012
Everyone speaks with an "accent"; it is in the very nature of language that people speak with local coloration of some sort. For second language users, the influence of the mother tongue (usually called L1) on the second language (L2) varies, depending on how early the speaker was exposed to the second language.

I don't believe there is a Nigerian accent as such. Rather, there are several accents within the Nigerian space, as there are within other spaces where English is the second language.

FlamingGun
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
I'm ibo and proud of it...although I don't know how to speak d language! Hahaha! Anyways, I have d normal Lagos accent synonymous with corporate Nigeria tinged with an american accent from my stay thr when I was younger.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by dammytosh: 2:59pm On Nov 19, 2012
My local dialect accent (Not quickly noticeable but Extremely annoying.)

I grew up spoiling my accent claiming that i want to be myself no forming.

I wish i never made that stupid decision.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Topeedo: 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
I HAVE AN ACCENT, A SEXY ONE
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2012
Topeedo: I HAVE AN ACCENT, A SEXY ONE
if its not British then its just not 'SEXY'
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Goldieluks: 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: if its not British then its just not 'SEXY'

Not so true. French accent is sexier.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 3:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
Goldieluks:

Not so true. French accent is sexier.
Igbo accent is even sexier.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx: I'm from nibiru and you lot should know I speak the language of the ancient Egyptians... grin

Ancient Egyptians' accent [size=4pt]South London accent[/size]

roflllllll grin u r smthg else
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Caseless: 4:16pm On Nov 19, 2012
Iaz93:
LOL. . .igalaz?
hahahaahaheeeeeeeee....ele'oo....how u take knw? Na my pple dem...
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Goldieluks: 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Igbo accent is even sexier.

Not true. I know your igbo so am not surprise with your claims.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
Goldieluks:

Not true. I know your igbo so am not surprise with your claims.
Not true? What makes French sexy and not Igbo. Is there a criteria for determining which accent is sexxy? Who set these criteria.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Goldieluks: 4:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Not true? What makes French sexy and not Igbo. Is there a criteria for determining which accent is sexxy? Who set these criteria.

Okay according to you, igbo is sexier. And according to me french is sexier. Am sure that's fair enough.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by lepasharon(f): 4:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx:

Don't lie.. undecided

i aint got to lie..
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
Goldieluks:

Okay according to you, igbo is sexier. And according to me french is sexier. Am sure that's fair enough.
At the end of the day it's a matter of personal opinion. Some people will prefer the Chinese accent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by mojounited(m): 4:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Dunno, I just try to speak good English...albeit I'm gradually picking up this weird Geordie accent undecided

Smh @ people with funny and weird accents. You can speak like Honourable Patrick Obahiagbon for all I care, just be ready for the hair-dryer if you're not making any sense.. cheesy
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by abiL(f): 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
mojounited: Dunno, I just try to speak good English...albeit I'm gradually picking up this weird Geordie accent undecided

Smh @ people with funny and weird accents. You can speak like Honourable Patrick Obahiagbon for all I care, just be ready for the hair-dryer if you're not making any sense.. cheesy

Geordie accent is so annoying!

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 19, 2012
lepasharon:

i aint got to lie..

Hmmm... Which of the London accents? - North, South, East, or West London? Or just the general one?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sybellah:

roflllllll grin u r smthg else

I wanna hear your french + Yankee + Ivorian accent, that's gonna sound sexy as fvck...

I'm a sucker for French and New York accents... grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Evie007: 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
Indian accent angry
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by oxaloacetate(f): 5:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
If I have a british accent, I would never shut up
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
shymexx:

I wanna hear your french + Yankee + Ivorian accent, that's gonna sound sexy as fvck...

I'm a sucker for French and New York accents... grin

You mean like the Italians New yorkers accent...That one of the coolest accent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by GboyegaD(m): 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Mine is the British accent and I had some American kids asked me in Church yesterday if I am from London. I also have many of my classmates tell me I talk like a Briton and I reply them that I am a Nigerian and we were colonised by Britain and that is why we talk like them. However, some of these American kids could be annoying particularly when you are helping some of the students one on one.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2012
GboyegaD: Mine is the British accent and I had some American kids asked me in Church yesterday if I am from London. I also have many of my classmates tell me I talk like a Briton and I reply them that I am a Nigerian and we were colonised by Britain and that is why we talk like them. However, some of these American kids could be annoying particularly when you are helping some of the students one on one.
Do we talk like the British? I'm hearing this for the very first time.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by GboyegaD(m): 5:35pm On Nov 19, 2012
Yes please. I think it depends on the area you grew up.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 5:39pm On Nov 19, 2012
GboyegaD: Yes please. I think it depends on the area you grew up.
No area has any accent similar to those of the British.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Topeedo: 5:39pm On Nov 19, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: if its not British then its just not 'SEXY'
UR OPINION DONT COUNT JOR...BEAT IT
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
GboyegaD: Mine is the British accent and I had some American kids asked me in Church yesterday if I am from London. I also have many of my classmates tell me I talk like a Briton and I reply them that I am a Nigerian and we were colonised by Britain and that is why we talk like them. However, some of these American kids could be annoying particularly when you are helping some of the students one on one.
Yeah, I agree with you on the bolded. Most Americans mistake my Nigerian accent for British.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by GboyegaD(m): 5:49pm On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
No area has any accent similar to those of the British.

That is your opinion though and it isn't something to debate over.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Idoma Names And Meaning / 10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures) / Swaziland King Chooses Wife,tests Unclad Girls’ Virginity Openly[Photos,videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.