Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,577 members, 7,823,509 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers (20783 Views)

MultiChoice Africa Announces Dstv Subscription Price Increase / Thread For DStv/GOtv Channel TELEMUNDO / Shouldnt DSTV Subscription Be On Pay As You Use Basis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by EteFlexible: 10:25am On Nov 20, 2012
As part of efforts at assuaging aggrieved consumers of Digital Satellite Television (DSTV), the Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has advised Multichoice Nigeria Limited, the owners of the cable television to introduce pay-as-you-go subscription for its subscribers.

CPC, at a recent meeting with top managers of DSTV, said the time was ripe for the introduction of the pay-as-you-go subscription in the interest of millions of subscribers of the satellite television.

The agency sought to know the reason why this form of subscription could not be introduced in Nigeria as it has been done in other climes for the economic well-being of consumers.

According to the Council, the pay-as-you-go subscription would allow consumers get value for their money, give them an option of choice as well as enable them control their consumption.

Besides the suggested introduction of the pay-as-you-go subscription, the Council also canvassed for some form of compensation to subscribers for loss of transmission signals, usually experienced by them during adverse weather conditions, particularly rainy season, known as “rain fade”.

Other issues discussed at the meeting included proper and adequate supervision of DSTV dealers and agents and seeming delay in resolution of consumer complaints by the company.

Responding, the delegation from Multichoice Nigeria Limited disclosed that the firm did not have the platforms to implement pay-as-you-go system of payment but promised to look into it.

The delegation explained further that Multichoice is an access-to-content selling company and could not determine what it could purchase or sell to the smallest unit which would allow a pay-as-you-go payment system to function.

On the issue of compensation for down-times for signals, Multichoice explained that loss of signals during the rainy period is a natural occurrence, which could hardly be curtailed, promising, however, to look into the Council’s position that some form of compensation should be given to subscribers for this occurrence pending the development of a new technology that may solve the problem.

The company pointed out that it has always been committed to speedy resolution of consumer complaints, stating that there may, however, be slight delay in resolution if the problems were technical in nature.

While giving Multichoice the opportunity to further deliberate on the issues discussed at its management level, the Council was insistent that the Nigerian consumers must be given choices and options available in other countries and mandated the company to look into the above issues with despatch.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211160598.html

4 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by takedat(m): 11:42am On Nov 20, 2012
I am totally in support of CPC. This cheat called DSTV need to compensate their subscribers for loss of transmission signals.

@Mods, is this not worthy enough to grace the front page? Thousands of subscribers are short changed by DSTV. Nigerians need to join CPC In making these demands!

2 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Geomac: 11:55am On Nov 20, 2012
I support it too, i subscribed for three months and i don't think i have watched it more than 5 times.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by keeeem: 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
These SA companies have started again. The same way Emp-tea-hen told Nigerians that pay per second billing is not possible anywhere in the whole world only for Glo to come and put them to shame by being the first to implement per second billing. Na their fault? If we had good administrators manning our affairs, sebi na to license a service provider and relax the entry procedure for new entrants and create competition to reduce DSTV gra gra. Let's give the devil it's credit Obj get swagger walahi. You can imagine the arrogance with which the DSTV officials are speaking with. They can only do such only for Naija because they know that the people they are dealing with don't know what their responsibilities are...mscheew

19 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by slimming: 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
They should be enforced to start it, not begging

3 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
The Best Idea and Decision So far in 2012,If only it could come true.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Super1759: 12:41pm On Nov 20, 2012
I second this, @least my subscription will extend throughout the year sad
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Olaolufred(m): 12:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
Super1759: I second this, @least my subscription will extend throughout the year sad

Govt should get itself involved in protecting Nigerians.
CPC have my full support.
Better, they are figthting for me.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 20, 2012
When I saw CPC; I was thinking that Buhari's Party has suggested something extra ordinarily positive instead of destruction, only to realize its Consumer Protection Council.

26 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Okijajuju1(m): 2:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
WTF is this shiit about?! There is no place in the world where Cable Television is Pay-as-you-go..

If you cant afford Cable TV, stick to fhucking public TV... angry

2 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by sunkoye: 2:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju: WTF is this shiit about?! There is no place in the world where Cable Television is Pay-as-you-go..

If you cant afford Cable TV, stick to fhucking public TV... angry
bros e , anytin is possible!
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Okijajuju1(m): 2:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
sunkoye: bros e , anytin is possible!

How?!

So if you watch for 2 hours, they charge you for 2 hours abi?! Is it a mobile phone?! angry

DSTV will crash if they try that..
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
If this can work, den its a welcome idea.

E no good to pay subscription for 1month when nepa go bring lite only 3days.

U pay to subscribe, u still use fuel to watch am. sad

2 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by lafuria1(m): 2:35pm On Nov 20, 2012
Billyonaire: When I saw CPC; I was thinking that Buhari's Party has suggested something extra ordinarily positive instead of destruction, only to realize its Consumer Protection Council.
sarcasm, of course u knew it wasnt CPC party. and if they were, u would have questioned their authority on the issue.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Okijajuju1(m): 2:35pm On Nov 20, 2012
Imanuelle: If this can work, den its a welcome idea.

E no good to pay subscription for 1month when nepa go bring lite only 3days.

U pay to subscribe, u still use fuel to watch am. sad

If they make that mistake, some people go use 5000 Naira 'credit' in 1 year.. They will only put on their DSTV on match days or Big Brother eviction Sundays..

I dont support this rubbish.. DSTV is a luxury not a necessity.. If a man cant afford Cable TV, then he should watch NTA..

11 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Blackteeth(m): 2:37pm On Nov 20, 2012
The last time I checked anything in bulk purchase is usually cheaper e.g bag of garri, browsing, carton of goods etc. I hope you guys in support of this silly idea will realize this. DSTV will be happy to hear this cos they are about hitting a jackpot.

2 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by megawave(m): 2:37pm On Nov 20, 2012
CPC please tell DSTV they can achieve this by selling minutes to we consumers, so when my decoder is on for 3hrs a day i am charged for that 3 hrs and i still have a lot of viewing hrs left.
sometimes i stress my purse just to please my guests, i forcefully subscribe just to make their stay pleasurable but if the pay as u go is adopted, i will deprive myself while i reserve my viewing time for my guests
Thumbs up CPC
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by pappy2000: 2:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

How?!

So if you watch for 2 hours, they charge you for 2 hours abi?! Is it a mobile phone?! angry

DSTV will crash if they try that..
What about boxing where people pay per view
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by cpacash: 2:39pm On Nov 20, 2012
The same way Emp-tea-hen told Nigerians that pay per second billing is not possible anywhere in the whole world only for Glo to come and put them to shame

True talk.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Bawss1(m): 2:42pm On Nov 20, 2012
Misplaced priorities.

CPC will not focus on industries that offer vital or sensitive services, like aviation and downstream petroleum, to Nigerians instead its TV?! There is also the fact that what they are requesting may be unfeasible.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by OMABYK: 2:43pm On Nov 20, 2012
CPC should give them specific time to implement the policy. Like 6 months to migrate to the new platform or sanctions taking against them. SA companies are highly exploitative. MTN said same for per second billing until glo came on board.Thank you Globacom . If it could be done in other countries I wonder why it is impossible in Nigeria. CPC carry go. U have my support.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Okijajuju1(m): 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2012
pappy2000:
What about boxing where people pay per view

Pay-per-view TV is different from Pay-as-you-go TV. On Pay-per-view, you need an active cable subscription to watch those channels. Eg, WWE Monday night raw (wrestling) have certain nights that are strictly on pay-per-view.. However, Pay-as-you-go means that you only get charged when your DSTV is on.. Sort of like NEPA prepaid meter.. No light, your subscription remains.. Which means some people will use 1000 Naira 'DSTV CREDIT' for 2 years..

I dont support it.. It will destroy DSTV..

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by hustla(m): 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

If they make that mistake, some people go use 5000 Naira 'credit' in 1 year.. They will only put on their DSTV on match days or Big Brother eviction Sundays..

I dont support this rubbish.. DSTV is a luxury not a necessity.. If a man cant afford Cable TV, then he should watch NTA..

C dis mumu sha,dstv na luxury? Na. So brain sef be luxury for u.. Try say wetin u write aloud come record am,u go see say u too s.t.uPID!
Can't you pay as you watch? What's the Big deal there? Its not possible for Nigerians to use it d way ur Brain told u,tons of things to watch asides BBA and football..
Ozwo!

14 Likes

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by hustla(m): 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

C dis mumu sha,dstv na luxury? Na. So brain sef be luxury for u.. Try say wetin u write aloud come record am,u go see say u too s.t.uPID! Naa because of ppl like u Naija no dey ever move 4ward

Can't you pay as you watch? What's the Big deal there? Its not possible for Nigerians to use it d way ur Brain told u,tons of things to watch asides BBA and football..
Ozwo!

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2012
I doubt multi-choice would go with this.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Bawss1(m): 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:
I dont support this rubbish.. DSTV is a luxury not a necessity.. If a man cant afford Cable TV, then he should watch NTA.. [/b]

+100
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Afolabs101: 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2012
Billyonaire: When I saw CPC; I was thinking that Buhari's Party has suggested something extra ordinarily positive instead of destruction, only to realize its Consumer Protection Council.

Me too, i was thinking "CPC is now taking on DStv"
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Okijajuju1(m): 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2012
hustla:

C dis mumu sha,dstv na luxury? Na. So brain sef be luxury for u.. Try say wetin u write aloud come record am,u go see say u too s.t.uPID!
Ozwo!

Shut up your poverty stricten mouth there.. angry

Is DSTV a luxury?! Did your father ever see a video cassete player talkless of Cable TV in his youth?! angry Look at the r`etard talking about brains..

Since your Minimum wage earning Family cannot afford DSTV, I will suggest you go and peek through your neighbours window, or buy external antenna and start watching NTA.. #Anu Ofia

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by mrrock: 2:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
Multichoice DSTV; a very dictatorial company is a group company part of MTN. The two companies are one and the same and their modus operandi is the same also. They both scam their customers at any slightest chance. I've long switched off from them.
Can you imagine I paid them 1 year subscribtion and got 11 months?. Efforts to get the remaining 1 month failed so I switched off my subscribtion ever since.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by azpeculiar: 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
"...We did not have the platform..." bla bla bla. Well we have heard that before from emptyHen. Let them get the fvcking platform!

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by ochukoccna: 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
Good move if they can pull it off
That DSTV is a luxury is not the issue
That they are exploiting customers is the bone of CPC's demand.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Dee60: 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2012
When people visit from those countries CPC is talking about they wonder how Nigerians are able to watch several channels (example all the EPL matches) whereas in their countries you pay extra for popular programmes.

CPC should be careful that they are not going to short-change Nigerians in the long run.

The per-second billing that people are citing has not yielded extra for Nigerians. The GSM operators know how to cut you off after 3 seconds so you have to redial again. In fact they charge you even when you have not used your credit at all. To whose benefit is that?

Fellow Nigerians, read between the lines!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Last Flight To Abuja (pics) / Marvel Drops Title And First Trailer For Avengers 4 / BBN6: White Money's Instagram Account Is Back. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.