Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. (23068 Views)

Revelation Chapter 7 / Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 10:32am On Nov 22, 2012
Zikkyy:

If erasing Mathew 23 will free you from the tight grip of this pastoral fraud, please do grin
what fraud? i can't follow your ungodly advice of erasing a Bible chapter. no thanks.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 12:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Is paying tithe to some charlatans part of the bolded *Smh*!!
Why not give to the poor & homeless? Smh again!!!
i think Juliet's point was that if one occupies himself with evangelism, he won't be as frivolous as an anti _tither. Giving tithes doesn't stop you from giving to the poor and homeless. Actually, giving offering may.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
Goshen360: Well, I can perceive this thread hasn't gone any far and is almost getting derailed. If anyone is to ask question, lets ask questions based on what is posted and discussed. Let's stop all these out of context questions please - we are discussing Hebrews 7 where tithing is Abolished!. If you think I said anything in contrary to biblical truth in EACH of my post, kindly present a superior argument with scriptures against what is said. Thank you all.

i already did. Matthew 23:23. You decided to hold on to weighty matters of the law while hypocritically claiming to have discarded the law. Jesus never condemned or spoke against tithes, i can say that in heaven sef.

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
Image123:
what fraud? i can't follow your ungodly advice of erasing a Bible chapter. no thanks.

What's wrong with erasing Mathew 23 from Image123 personal bible? you don't need it na. After all you don't read the full chapter grin you are happy just reading verse 23.

Image123:
what fraud?

I don't expect you see it.

You are in bondage my friend. you've made yourself a slave to a law that was never meant for you. we have your pastor to thank for that smiley

3 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 1:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
I'm not taking ungodly advice, thanks. So, tell me how I'm in bondage please. i thought freedom was in Jesus, you seem to suggest its hinged on tithes. please clarify again.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
Image123:
i already did. Matthew 23:23. You decided to hold on to weighty matters of the law while hypocritically claiming to have discarded the law. Jesus never condemned or spoke against tithes, i can say that in heaven sef.

Justice, mercy and faithfulness were weighty matter of the law no doubt, but they did not originate in the law and continue to apply both before and after the law. As a result they cannot be abolished/discarded with the law.

The tithing (of agricultural produce) being practiced by the Pharisees and endorsed by Jesus was done according to the law. Is your own tithing according to the law (i.e. comprised of agricultural produce)?

Saying Jesus never spoke against tithes isn't in debate here - Jesus didn't 'speak against' wave offerings, heave offerings and so on. Are we to observe them because they were not 'spoken against'? Jesus didn't 'speak against' going to the temple to celebrate Passover as a child and actually did so. Are we to also observe this act as well because it wasn't 'spoken against'?

4 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
debor
Tithe was before biblically before the law, during the law, and after. Hebrews 7 mentions of men that RECEIVE tithes. my church also still receives tithe, clap for us. You can't fail to see the weightier matters of the law and be bullying the light weights. Jesus is our Passover and sacrifice. The Scripture plainly teaches of the sacrifices we should offer in the NT which are better and more acceptable. It does nothing of such for tithes, instead Jesus commended and approved it.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 3:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
Image123: debor
Tithe was before biblically before the law, during the law, and after. Hebrews 7 mentions of men that RECEIVE tithes. my church also still receives tithe, clap for us.

Please point out the verse in Hebrews 7 so this can be specifically addressed in context. Secondly, Jesus referred SPECIFICALLY to tithes given according to the law and not any other tithe - yes or no?

You can't fail to see the weightier matters of the law and be bullying the light weights.

What does this mean?

Jesus is our Passover and sacrifice. The Scripture plainly teaches of the sacrifices we should offer in the NT which are better and more acceptable. It does nothing of such for tithes, instead Jesus commended and approved it.

Again, did Jesus condemn wave offerings and heave offerings? Yes or no?

Did Jesus condemn going for the Passover festival in Jersualem? What other 'commendation or approval' for attending the Passover festival do you need beyond Jesus himself attending it? Jesus also commended and approved it didn't he?

If the argument is that the Scripture 'plainly teaches', then how come there are no teachings to give tithes in any of the accounts of giving contained in the NT church? Why can't we conclude that the Scripture 'plainly teaches' that tithing is no longer relevant as it has ceased to be (recorded as) practiced?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
Am very sorry Image, am not trying to insult you here. so please don't take my comment as an insult smiley

Image123:
So, tell me how I'm in bondage please. i thought freedom was in Jesus, you seem to suggest its hinged on tithes. please clarify again.

Honestly, it will be difficult explaining this to you, so am not so keen on doing that. It's like telling a mad man he is mad; how do you expect him to understand

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 3:48pm On Nov 22, 2012
Tithe was before biblically before the law, during the law, and after.

after ke! shocked who tithed after the law?

Hebrews 7 mentions of men that RECEIVE tithes.

yep, the Hebrew verse refers to Levites.

You can't fail to see the weightier matters of the law and be bullying the light weights.

whether weightier or lighter is not relevant here. If the weightier matters of the law is not relevant to Christians, why should we be bothered bout the light weights. The simple truth is that the Law is not applicable. Don't tell me you are still adhering to the matters of the law? If you are you better comply 100% o! So when is the next burnt offering taking place at your end grin

The Scripture plainly teaches of the sacrifices we should offer in the NT which are better and more acceptable. It does nothing of such for tithes, instead Jesus commended and approved it.

this your statement is not complete. Let me help: Jesus commended and approved the practice of rendering a tenth of agric produce to the Levites in accordance with the law smiley you don't have to thank me, afterall that's what friends are for wink

3 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 22, 2012
^^^ Thank you, if they are still adhering to the matters of the law, they should also apply death sentence to adulterers! Na so na! Why only tithe huh? Smh

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 4:57pm On Nov 22, 2012
Many thanks to seriallink, Zikky and Debosky for their response to our brother Image123; I don't need to respond to him again. Sometimes, I'm and sometimes I'm not surprised Image123 will still follow to twist verse 7-8 of Hebrews chapter 7. This is what this thread is all about, we shall reveal the truth that had been used to coerce the mind of people into parting with their 10% cash every sunday.

@ Image123, you said tithe existed BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the law and you quoted Hebrews 7:7-8. It will interest you to get ready because this thread will expose you and the likes when we get to verse 7 and 8. Again, let's follow the exposition verse-by-verse.

@ Everyone,
The purpose of this thread and exposition is to unveil from Hebrews chapter 7 as a whole that tithing BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the law is ABOLISHED, DIS-ANNULLED AND SET ASIDE, not taught anywhere in the NT and Christians are not instructed anywhere in the new testament AFTER calvary/resurrection to tithe but rather to give according to the grace giving to each one.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Even that question came up only because of some so-called Christians there--false ones, really--who were secretly brought in. They sneaked in to spy on us and take away the freedom we have in Christ Jesus. They wanted to enslave us and force us to follow their Jewish regulations. - Galatians 2:4

3 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Joagbaje(m): 5:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
debosky:
The tithing (of agricultural produce) being practiced by the Pharisees and endorsed by Jesus was done according to the law. Is your own tithing according to the law (i.e. comprised of agricultural produce)

Tithing doesn't have be based on agric produce .was Abraham tithe based on agric produce? People gave money as tithe in the bible .

Saying Jesus never spoke against tithes isn't in debate here - Jesus didn't 'speak against' wave offerings, '

Those nitty gritty was based on mosaic law. And christ fulfilled them. But the principle of offering still holds.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
^
@ Joagbaje,

Offering as it is in the NT is NEVER, I repeat NEVER based on the OT. It is based on this scripture sir. Take a look,

New International Version (©1984)
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

New Living Translation (©2007)
On the first day of each week, you should each put aside a portion of the money you have earned. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once. - I Corinthians 16:2

This is what the NT offering of the OT is based upon. It will be best to show the world where NT Christians offer offerings like the OT. What you call offerings in churches and place of worship today is replaced with MONEY giving and we are instructed to "set aside a CERTAIN PORTION of our income" on the first day of the week. This is where giving so called "offering" in churches comes to be. It is NOT talking about the OT kind of offerings!
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 6:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
debosky:

Justice, mercy and faithfulness were weighty matter of the law no doubt, but they did not originate in the law and continue to apply both before and after the law. As a result they cannot be abolished/discarded with the law.

The tithing (of agricultural produce) being practiced by the Pharisees and endorsed by Jesus was done according to the law. Is your own tithing according to the law (i.e. comprised of agricultural produce)?

Saying Jesus never spoke against tithes isn't in debate here - Jesus didn't 'speak against' wave offerings, heave offerings and so on. Are we to observe them because they were not 'spoken against'? Jesus didn't 'speak against' going to the temple to celebrate Passover as a child and actually did so. Are we to also observe this act as well because it wasn't 'spoken against'?

leave the dishonest tithers with there fraud.

Infact jesus talked about offering and said that any one that is taking his offering to the temple and remembers that his brother does have something(complains) against him, he should leave his offering there at the temple and go make peace with his brother befor coming back to do the offering.

I dont know they dont obey Jesus words here and do animal sacrifice and others but decided to do tithing alone.

*sigh*

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 6:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
debosky:

leave the dishonest tithers with there fraud.

Infact jesus talked about offering and said that any one that is taking his offering to the temple and remembers that his brother so have something(complains) against him, he should leave his offering there at the temple and go make peace with his brother befor coming back to do the offering.

I dont know they dont obey Jesus words here and do animal sacrifice and others but decicded to do tithing alone.

*sigh*
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 6:19pm On Nov 22, 2012
debosky:

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 9:29pm On Nov 22, 2012
Joagbaje:

Tithing doesn't have be based on agric produce .was Abraham tithe based on agric produce? People gave money as tithe in the bible .

Jo - Jesus only 'endorsed' tithing of agricultural produce according to the law and no other 're-mixed' form of tithing you choose to practice today. Any tithe converted to money was taken to Jerusalem and used to buy food for eating in the temple by the person giving the tithe, they didn't 'give' the tithe as money to anyone!

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

Abraham gave spoils of war - he didn't tithe the increase of his flock, or money obtained from selling sheep, goats, slaves or anything else. How is that compared to your requirement for 'gross' monthly tithes of salary? Did Abraham tithe his salary?

Those nitty gritty was based on mosaic law. And christ fulfilled them. But the principle of offering still holds.

That comment wasn't for you - it's for those who want to claim validity based on Jesus' lack of 'criticism' of something.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:27am On Nov 23, 2012
1. For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; Heb. 7

The writer had already established the "fulfilled" Melchizedek in Christ right from Hebrews 5:1-6 from the "prophetic" Melchizedek of Psalm 110. It was re-emphasized in Hebrews 6:20 and then he begins Hebrew Chapter 7 as a continuation from Heb.6:20 introducing us to the "historic" Melchizedek (who was a type and shadow and from whom the prophetic came to be in Psalms) of Genesis 14 and discussed the Pre-law tithing that was done by Abraham to the historic Melchizedek.

The Historic Melchizedek as Type or shadow of Christ and the Pre-law tithing.

“For this Melchizedek…”

It is very important for us to understand which Melchizedek the writer referenced here in this verse – the historic Melchizedek. We know it is the historic Melchizedek by the writer referring to first appearance of Melchizedek in Genesis 14 when he met Abraham when returning from slaughter of kings. This is the first mention of Melchizedek in the bible. Who then is “this Melchizedek?” The writer made reference to this historic Melchizedek as “who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him” so we can therefore trace this back to history in Genesis 14:14 – 24. Clearly from this scripture, the historic Melchizedek did not appear as a type and shadow in order to receive tribute or tithe from Abraham BUT to bless. How much more the fulfilled Melchizedek?

The writer drew heavily from the historic event of Genesis 14 still talking about Melchizedek that, he is a “king of Salem, priest of the most high God”. Now, we understand that “this Melchizedek" (historic) was a king (of Salem) and also a priest (of the most high God). Hence the historic Melchizedek was a “king and a priest” at the same time. Israel's king later descended from the tribe of Judah and house of David and the priest on the other hand descended from the tribe of Levi and the house of Aaron. No King in Israel is a priest and a king at the same time but Melchizedek was a king-priest and Jesus and the NT believers fulfilled that as a type and shadow. Today, no Christian goes on “slaughter of kings” like Abraham and Christ had made every believer or Christian a king and priest unto himself; he (Christ) being our “High Priest” (Revelation 1:6; Hebrews 3:1, 5:1-6, 8:6 and 10:12).

“…who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him”

Abraham in this context is extremely important because,

1. He is the "Patriarch" of the Hebrews nation or national Israel and

2. He is the (spiritual) "father" of them that are of faith.

We shall expound on Abraham as “Patriarch” of the Jewish nation and as a “father of them that are of faith” – it is extremely important. Melchizedek met Abraham returning from the slaughter of kings and the scripture simply records that he blessed Abraham without first demanding tithe or tribute from Abraham. In like manner, the fulfilled Melchizedek (Jesus Christ) blesses Christians without first demanding tithe in order to bless them, Christians are blessed by the sacrifices of Christ.

What did Abraham do in order to receive blessing? Absolutely nothing - foreshadowing the blessing of God without works to believers through Christ as the fulfilled Melchizedek. In this account where the historic Melchizedek is a type and shadow, that is under the type and shadow in the appearance of Melchizedek, Abraham did nothing to get the blessing, how much more under the fulfilled Melchizedek of Christ. The historic Melchizedek therefore becomes the first to be a king and a priest at the same time. This is how and where he is a type of Christ but not Christ himself.

What then is “biblical type or shadow”?

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:34am On Nov 23, 2012
Definition of Biblical Types:

A type is a preordained representation wherein certain persons, events, and institutions of the O.T. stand for corresponding persons, events, and institutions of the N.T. Types are pictures or object lessons by which God has taught and/or hidden His redemptive plan. They are a shadow of things to come, not the image of those things (Col. 2:17; Heb. 8:5; 10:1). The Mosaic system, for example, was a kind of kindergarten in which God's people were trained in divine things and taught to look forward to the realities of things yet to come.

For the purpose of edification for the saints of God, there are four (4) classes of biblical types and shadow:

A. Typical Persons:

1. Adam was a type of Christ who was yet to come (Rom. 5:12-21; 2 Cor. 15:45-49).

2. Melchizedek was a type of the eternal priesthood of Christ (Gen. 14:18-24; Heb. 5:5-9; 6:20; 7:1-10, 17); a type of combined kingship and priesthood (Heb. 7:1-3 with Zech. 6:12-13); and a type of eternal existence (Heb. 7:3, 6 with Mic. 5:1-2; Jn. 1:1-3; Heb. 1:cool.

3. Abraham offering up his only promised son was a type of God offering His only begotten Son (Gen. 22; Jn. 3:16; Heb. 11:17-19).

4. Isaac was a type of the resurrection of Christ (Gen. 22; Heb. 11:19).

5. Moses was a type of Christ as the prophet of God (Dt. 18:15-19; Acts 3:19-26), and of faithfulness (Heb. 3:1-6).

6. Aaron was a type of the high priesthood of Christ (Heb. 5:1-5).

7. Jonah was a type of the death, burial, dissension (into the lower parts of the earth for three days), and resurrection of Christ (Jonah 2; Mt. 12:40; Eph.4:8-10).

B. Typical Events:

1. Some of the events during Israel's wandering in the wilderness were typical of things Christians would face (2 Cor. 10:1-13).

2. The lifting up of the brazen serpent in the wilderness was typical of the crucifixion of Christ and benefits of the cross to be realized by others (Jn. 3:14; Num. 21).

C. Typical Acts:

1. Smiting the rock as in Ex. 17 was typical of Christ being crucified or smitten for men (2 Cor. 10:4).

2. Smiting the rock the second time instead of speaking to it was typical of crucifying Christ afresh (Num. 20; 2 Cor. 10:4; Heb. 6:6).

3. Rejecting the chief cornerstone was typical of the rejection of Christ (Isa. 28:16; Mt. 21:42).

4. The many acts of the priests in the tabernacle worship were typical of various aspects of redemption through Christ: killing animals; shedding and sprinkling blood; burning incense; the showbread; lighting lamps; and the daily and yearly rituals were all typical acts, fulfilled in Christ and His redemptive work (Heb. 7:11-28; 8:1-6; 9:1-28; 10:1-22).

D. Typical Institutions:

1. The whole Mosaic institution of offerings and worship was typical of things to come in the sacrifice and redemptive work of Christ and the worship of God in the true way (Ex. 12-13; 25:1 - 40:38; Heb. 7-10).

2. The Aaronic priesthood, the garments of the priests, and other aspects of the ministry of the law were typical of Christ and His redemptive work (Ex. 28-29; Heb. 7-10).

3. The Sabbath for Israel was typical of the eternal rest in Christ and of that which is to come for all the redeemed (Ex. 20:8-11; 31:12-18; Dt. 5:15; Heb. 4).

4. The feasts of Israel were typical of various aspects of redemption through Christ (Ex. 12; Lev. 23; 2 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 5-10).

5. The temple and all the rituals of worship carried on in it were typical of the same things the tabernacle and its worship were typical of.

6. The tabernacle and temple, their compartments, and furniture were themselves typical of the heavenly tabernacle Christ entered into (Heb. 8:1-5; 9:1-10, 23-24).

Hence, we understand that Melchizedek was a type and shadow of Christ in the “order” of his “king and priest” not in the “person” of Melchizedek himself. If Christ is Melchizedek, it will mean that Christ was a type of himself and scriptures does not teach such. It will also mean Christ lived historically before he was born of a virgin birth. Some also teach that Melchizedek is Shem, such teaching is error because the scripture records the genealogy of Shem but the scripture did not record the genealogy of the historic Melchizedek hence Melchizedek is NOT Shem.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:39am On Nov 23, 2012
“…and blessed him”.

This is very important! Every word of this writer is extremely important. Abraham, actually Abram in Genesis 14:18-24 was blessed by the historic Melchizedek “before” Abram gave (not pay) tenth from the spoils of war. It will be scripturally wrong to teach that giving of tithe/tenth is what makes God bless someone under the new covenant even as it wasn’t like that in the case of Abram and Melchizedek as type and shadow of better covenant. Also Abram was rich in silver and gold (Genesis 13:1-2) prior to his encounter with Melchizedek and we are not told he became rich by tithing before the event of Genesis 14. Abraham wasn’t rich or blessed by his tithing! He was pronounced blessed by the historic Melchizedek and it was written,

And he blessed him, and said, blessed [be] Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. Genesis 14:19-20

Now, we are told in Heb. 6:20 that Jesus become or became High Priest "FOREVER according to the order" of Melchizedek and in Heb.7:1, we are told “this Melchizedek” is a priest and a king. It therefore means Jesus is also a King and Priest also because Jesus became a High Priest "forever according to the order of Melchizedek".

In Israel, NO KING IS A PRIEST AND NO PRIEST IS A KING AT THE SAME TIME. It’s either one or the other, not both at the same time. So Jesus is King and Priest according to the order or pattern of Melchizedek because this Melchizedek is a priest and king at the same time. This is the first thing being established by the writer about Jesus and Melchizedek when the writer said Jesus became High Priest “forever according to the order of Melchizedek” – they were both kings and priests as Jesus took “after” the “order” of Melchizedek but Jesus himself is not Melchizedek. We will establish the "forever" aspect of the "according to the order of Melchizedek" as we expound further.

...to be continue

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:40am On Nov 23, 2012
The diagram presented below will also be discussed as a framework for our exposition.

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by ujchief(m): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2012
@Goshen,
all these long gramer and fancy diagrams just to justify ur non-tithing?
When Christ departed, He comanded his disciples to stay in Jesusalem, He will send them the Holy spirit who will 'teach them all things'.
I believe in the holy spirit, he teaches us all things. Thus i refrain from arguments and vain talks that dont edify me. Let the holy spirit teach u all things.
I'm a tither and a partner of the gospel. Partnership wasnt defined in the bible, but seeing the need to establish God's kingdom on earth by spreading the gospel, i had to partner to make it work, thats the work of the holy spirit, teaching u all things!
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by plappville(f): 10:02am On Nov 23, 2012
ujchief: @Goshen,
all these long gramer and fancy diagrams just to justify ur non-tithing?
When Christ departed, He comanded his disciples to stay in Jesusalem, He will send them the Holy spirit who will 'teach them all things'.
I believe in the holy spirit, he teaches us all things. Thus i refrain from arguments and vain talks that dont edify me. Let the holy spirit teach u all things.
I'm a tither and a partner of the gospel. Partnership wasnt defined in the bible, but seeing the need to establish God's kingdom on earth by spreading the gospel, i had to partner to make it work, thats the work of the holy spirit, teaching u all things!

Don't you have the Holy spirit and yet you still go to church to hear from your pastor? You should have study
your bible and allow the Holy spirit to minister to you. What your Pastor is doing in the service is
not different from what bros....Goshen360 is doing here, abi na because say na through internet?

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by plappville(f): 10:13am On Nov 23, 2012
Goshen360: Definition of Biblical Types:

[size=14pt] A type is a preordained representation wherein certain persons, events, and institutions of the O.T. stand for corresponding persons, events, and institutions of the N.T. Types are pictures or object lessons by which God has taught and/or hidden His redemptive plan. [/size] They are a shadow of things to come, not the image of those things (Col. 2:17; Heb. 8:5; 10:1). The Mosaic system, for example, was a kind of kindergarten in which God's people were trained in divine things and taught to look forward to the realities of things yet to come.

For the purpose of edification for the saints of God, there are four (4) classes of biblical types and shadow:

A. Typical Persons:

1. Adam was a type of Christ who was yet to come (Rom. 5:12-21; 2 Cor. 15:45-49).

2. Melchizedek was a type of the eternal priesthood of Christ (Gen. 14:18-24; Heb. 5:5-9; 6:20; 7:1-10, 17); a type of combined kingship and priesthood (Heb. 7:1-3 with Zech. 6:12-13); and a type of eternal existence (Heb. 7:3, 6 with Mic. 5:1-2; Jn. 1:1-3; Heb. 1:cool.

3. Abraham offering up his only promised son was a type of God offering His only begotten Son (Gen. 22; Jn. 3:16; Heb. 11:17-19).

4. Isaac was a type of the resurrection of Christ (Gen. 22; Heb. 11:19).

5. Moses was a type of Christ as the prophet of God (Dt. 18:15-19; Acts 3:19-26), and of faithfulness (Heb. 3:1-6).

6. Aaron was a type of the high priesthood of Christ (Heb. 5:1-5).

7. Jonah was a type of the death, burial, dissension (into the lower parts of the earth for three days), and resurrection of Christ (Jonah 2; Mt. 12:40; Eph.4:8-10).

B. Typical Events:

1. Some of the events during Israel's wandering in the wilderness were typical of things Christians would face (2 Cor. 10:1-13).

2. The lifting up of the brazen serpent in the wilderness was typical of the crucifixion of Christ and benefits of the cross to be realized by others (Jn. 3:14; Num. 21).

C. Typical Acts:

1. Smiting the rock as in Ex. 17 was typical of Christ being crucified or smitten for men (2 Cor. 10:4).

2. Smiting the rock the second time instead of speaking to it was typical of crucifying Christ afresh (Num. 20; 2 Cor. 10:4; Heb. 6:6).

3. Rejecting the chief cornerstone was typical of the rejection of Christ (Isa. 28:16; Mt. 21:42).

4. The many acts of the priests in the tabernacle worship were typical of various aspects of redemption through Christ: killing animals; shedding and sprinkling blood; burning incense; the showbread; lighting lamps; and the daily and yearly rituals were all typical acts, fulfilled in Christ and His redemptive work (Heb. 7:11-28; 8:1-6; 9:1-28; 10:1-22).

D. Typical Institutions:

1. The whole Mosaic institution of offerings and worship was typical of things to come in the sacrifice and redemptive work of Christ and the worship of God in the true way (Ex. 12-13; 25:1 - 40:38; Heb. 7-10).

2. The Aaronic priesthood, the garments of the priests, and other aspects of the ministry of the law were typical of Christ and His redemptive work (Ex. 28-29; Heb. 7-10).

3. The Sabbath for Israel was typical of the eternal rest in Christ and of that which is to come for all the redeemed (Ex. 20:8-11; 31:12-18; Dt. 5:15; Heb. 4).

4. The feasts of Israel were typical of various aspects of redemption through Christ (Ex. 12; Lev. 23; 2 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 5-10).

5. The temple and all the rituals of worship carried on in it were typical of the same things the tabernacle and its worship were typical of.

6. The tabernacle and temple, their compartments, and furniture were themselves typical of the heavenly tabernacle Christ entered into (Heb. 8:1-5; 9:1-10, 23-24).

Hence, we understand that Melchizedek was a type and shadow of Christ in the “order” of his “king and priest” not in the “person” of Melchizedek himself. If Christ is Melchizedek, it will mean that Christ was a type of himself and scriptures does not teach such. It will also mean Christ lived historically before he was born of a virgin birth. Some also teach that Melchizedek is Shem, such teaching is error because the scripture records the genealogy of Shem but the scripture did not record the genealogy of the historic Melchizedek hence Melchizedek is NOT Shem.

My broda tell them jare....alot of Christians will not look at things from the OT, they just read a passage from the NT...GBAM, they will conclude!

Things cannot be properly understood that way!

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 23, 2012
plappville:

Don't you have the Holy spirit and yet you still go to church to hear from your pastor? You should have study
your bible and allow the Holy spirit to minister to you. What your Pastor is doing in the service is not different from what bros....Goshen360 is doing here, abi na because say na through internet?

Studying the Bible at home and sharing it with brothers and sisters online edifies me far more better than any Bible study I have attended in a Church! Heck, when I was still a Churchgoer (Presbyterian Church to be specific), I was a confused Christian with too many unanswered questions in my head; thank God for the internet and various online forums, I have learnt a lot and still learning!

Unlike church going, you'll be confused and stay confused or even confused others like you were brainwashed; once the Church or MOG/Priest/Pastor/Rev says A is B, B it is! The sacred cows are always considered Infallible. That is why you see many of them twisting scriptures to go with their dishonest activities.

I have never been so free, at least my relationship with God now is by far beter than what it use to be! I don't need any Church to please God.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Joagbaje(m): 3:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
Goshen360:

Many things like burnt offering also existed before the law. Animal Sacrifices existed before the law. Building stone altars existed before the law. etc.

Of course. Jesus fulfilled the nifty gritty. But the principle of offering still Stands. [/quote]

Christians will also do well doing all of these things sir. They are all types and shadows and all fulfilled in Christ.

Tithes has nothing to do with the messiah. It's Gods. Jesus didn't fulfill tithing .

What you call Church offering today is NOT according to the law but what the NT church used in the early church for sharing and distributions among the saints. [quote]

There was only a case of persecution . Which made it impossible for movement . They had to feed on what they had. But that didn't last for long.

[quote]Spiritual principles There is nothing spiritual giving - it is physical. Money is physical. Crops and animals are physical

Spiritual things are demonstrated with physical action.

Philippians 4:18
But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour [/b]of a sweet smell, a [b]sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.The serve physical needs not spiritual.

I don't understand this your "spiritual principle" stuff.

Principles are simply spiritual truths in God left for us to discover and operate.

Why don't you wait till we all finish our exposition in this Hebrews chapter 7 before you jump to conclude tithing still exist. Even to the Jews, tithing had come to an end, not to talk of Christians

We are not tithing because the law say so. It's spiritual principle. It's beyond obeying commandments . These are governing laws. Worship, prayer ,justice, honoring parents etc these are principles . They work for those who do them .

. I thought you wrote an article that the "Law is Abolished". So when the law is abolished, why do only tithe still remain.

Tithe has nothing to do with the law. Why don't you condemn offering as well? What about adultery. Is it justified now because the law is done away?

God has a financial plan for His church and it is achieved through giving - money, not crops and animal.

You can give anything, so long as it can serve purpose in Gods kingdom. I have given wristwatch ,laptops . Etc. anything can be given.

Who are the men Jesus told to tithe His disciples or Christian....NT Christianity did NOT start until AFTER the death and resurrection of Christ. So who are the men Jesus told to tithe?

He told man to tithe ,simply put. Because everyone in that generation have the understanding .

You need to put the above statement side-by-side with this your statement and let's screen both if they tally,

This verse is very clear enough but unfortunately has been the most twisted scriptures to justify tithing. Paul never mentioned tithe or tithing here. Paul clearly was making a comparison of those who "partake of things of the temple and altar" and how they are being cared for to "those who preach the gospel". Look at the scripture again, it say and compare....."live of the things of the temple and altar" COMPARED TO ...."live of the GOSPEL". Does living of things of temple and altar EQUALS live or living of the GOSPEL

God gave the tithes and offerings to the temple ministers to manage and ovesee ,And paul simply say God has ordain same for gospel preachers. It's same principle.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

If the source of Money and welfare under the law being compared here. Came from tithes and offerings. The tithes and offerings applies to the gospel also. Or where do you expect it to come from. Don't. Tell me offerings only.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
@ Joagbaje,

I have shown you and everyone following this thread and the world from scripture the difference of what the OT called "offerings" and the NT what is called "offerings" in today's church. If you are not convinced, kindly show us where the NT church is instructed to collect offerings in the church other than the scripture I have shown you that teaches offerings/collections for the saints in the NT church. The world is reading and following us as we teach God's word.

Second, since you said "tithe and offering" goes together and one cannot be taken and the other left out, will you agree if it is shown from the scripture where tithe is dis-annulled, set aside and abolished that offerings is also abolished, set aside and dis-annulled since you teach both goes together. Will you agree
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 5:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
Joagbaje:

Of course. Jesus fulfilled the nifty gritty. But the principle of offering still Stands.

Christians will also do well doing all of these things sir. They are all types and shadows and all fulfilled in Christ.

Tithes has nothing to do with the messiah. It's Gods. Jesus didn't fulfill tithing .

What you call Church offering today is NOT according to the law but what the NT church used in the early church for sharing and distributions among the saints.

your resort for misapplication of scriptures to justify this tithing fraud for christian knows no limit.

Our voluntary contribution/donation for christian is a sacrifice to the lord "a fine smelling odour", yes no doubt.

but were you told that what apostle paul collected and was given was a tith?

Solomon's temple was built with voluntary contribution though the Jews that did this contribution obeyed the law to pay tith, but they still contributed and "voluntary contribution" was not part of the law.

Since apostle paul collected freewill contribution and called it a fine smelling order it is really a disgrace on your part to insinuate that a voluntary contribution that is considered a fine smelling odour to the lord is now a law of tithing.

Do you see your life?

We also have the sacrifice of "lips" do we also apply this "spiritual offering" to mean that christians are to pay tith?

I dont know what to call you now, but the one you will twist will help me to know what to call you.
*sigh*

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
Bro.goshen..lets be spiritually sensitive in this last days that d enemy is trying to blind d eyes of believers from knowin the true light of d gospel..i may not be gifted in your area of bible exposition but i have enof bible sense with d little the Holy Ghost has taught me over the years to firmly agree with bro..joagbe dat tithing is really a kingdom principle..this principle might ave been abused by fraudsters who parade demselves as pastors(wolves in sheepskin)..but d truth of d matter is dat d saints of God re really fufilling d will of the Lord as outlined in mat6:3 and mat6:19..u may tend to disagree on this but dis post is actually for those believers u re trying to lead astray..and as for ur so called expose on heb7..u actually lack spiritual discernment on wat dat scripture is talkin about..omitin some vital information and layin emphasis on melchizedec priesthood doesnt cut it for me..from gleanin tru dat scripture u said melchizedek is a man..but d scripture was clear dat melchizedek was without father,mother,without descendant..to me dat melchizedek of old is Jesus Christ..for Jesus is d same yesterday,today and forever..and who told u xtians dont go on slaugther of kings..we go on slaugther of kings though not in d physical but in d spiritual so as to advance God's kingdom..for we wrstle not against flesh and blood but against demonic entitities dat rule territories and space..they ave hierachies and re weel organised..u said Isreal has no king and priest..but by d inspiration of d Holy Spirit we know dat david operated as both a prophet, a king and a priest..i dont ave time to expain in d details cos am not on a pc..but witout contradiction d less is blessed of d better..d levitical priesthood of those days is liken to we who He has made king and priest unto our God..d Fivefold ministry is to equip d saints..so d saints can do d work of d minstries...money cannot advance d kingdom of God for d kingdom of God is life giving in itsef..bit money can be use as a tool to spread d word of Godand dats where tithes and offering play a part..shalom
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by TheShopKeeper(m): 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
Please can someone kindly answer this:

What is the reason why the Jews are not tithing today and they are more blessed than we Christians?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Joagbaje(m): 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2012
Goshen360: I have shown you and everyone following this thread and the world from scripture the difference of what the OT called "offerings" and the NT what is called "offerings" in today's church.

I may not read every post. If you address me , address me.

, kindly show us where the NT church is instructed to collect offerings in the church other than the scripture I have shown you that teaches offerings/collections for the saints in the NT church. The world is reading and following us as we teach God's word.

Second, since you said "tithe and offering" goes together and one cannot be taken and the other left out, will you agree if it is shown from the scripture where tithe is dis-annulled, set aside and abolished that offerings is also abolished, set aside and dis-annulled since you teach both goes together. Will you agree

If you have something to teach .im all ears

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Self Prophecy By Pastor Adeboye / Pastor Newman Edward Reveals 7 Revelations Shown To Him By God / Virgin Mary Image Seen On Hospital Window In Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.