Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? (7296 Views)

How I Escaped Having Sex In My Early Teens (A Must Read For Parents)! / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? / Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 24, 2012
Very very wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by cold(m): 6:39pm On Nov 24, 2012
My mum wouldn't hesitate to insult,chide,scold & spank me as a child..'you mischievous & destructive child..don't you ever learn'?And look how i turned out..a supa dupa fella grin
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by minute(f): 6:44pm On Nov 24, 2012
It is not right but many parents do it. . .

When you lose it, you might end up insulting someone even if you don't intend it in the first place.

If this is done constantly, the child will grow up with a very low self esteem. . .

On the other hand, if parents sugarcoat or over protect their children, the children will grow
up to be "full of self", over confident or simply rude to others. . .

Seen both examples.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by abdulkayus(m): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2012
Its very very wrong esp frm a mother. D insult or d curse of a mother to a child usually have effect on d child in future. Fat is y u will some children becomin somehw, wayward or nt progressin in life; its d effect of d insults and curse. Due to d knowledge of dis by my mother, she never try to insult or curse us, highest she will do is even to bless u by sayin e ri omo olori re yi meanin c dis bless child or if we are havin some scuffles among us d children, she will say fi le omo olori re ni meanin leave him/her, he/she is a bless child. Dat is y i always love my mum, SHE IS D BEST IN D WORLD.

Am Yoruba bt sincerely speakin, dis insults is very commom among d yorubas, other tribes lyk hausa and igbo dat i hav live wit do it too bt d yoruba own is too much and crude. U will be hearin omo ale, omo jati jati, ko ni da fu o, oloshi, oloriburuku, chaiiii, i was lyk WTF.
Pls we shld adjust and d religious leaders shld lecture d ppl abt d consequencies of insult and curses of a parent to their children.

CIAO
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by greenoak: 7:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
Depends on what u mean. By insult.cos d. Word insult has a negative tag. Around it so fr my view its bad. Bt On d other hand,its very. Gud to discipline ones child spare d rod nd spoil d child.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by kunletech: 7:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
Insult is not good 4 children, because it kill their confindent.
Whatever insult u usually pronouse on children, with time they ill start believing they are what thier parent called them.

In time of using egba, it is not good to use it always, because it ill make them sturborn more, because is like u are classically conditioning them to misbeheave and have ur stroke of cane, later, they ill believed that canning is the way of life.

The best way is using punishment.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by bigboyk(m): 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2012
Hmmmm
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by thatchic: 7:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
You need to pass a test to get into schools, drive etc. But any fertile adult can breed, and most don’t even have a clue. I build up my sons and I will never tear them down. I always let them know they are smart, handsome good and the best thing since sliced bread!!!!. There are ways to punish (time out, withdraw toys, {create star charts for reward}). When you know better, you do better.

bigboyk: Guy, I know and understand how you feel. I dislike my mum so much for the insults she gave me and still gives me. I so much love my pops. She made me so depressed with the words she uttered. Well, I will shock her when I get rich. She thinks nothing good will come out of me even though I have a degree and currently doing some professional certifications. She respects people who are well to do and despise the broke. Let me see who will come and tell me I'm wicked when I get rich and refuse to give her a dime. If you don't value me when I'm down, don't come close to me when I'm rich. I don't go close to people who open their mouth any how.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2012
1ndidi2: Mama ndidi: ndidi!ndidi!ndiiiiidi! Bia where is that stupid girl undecided

Ndidi: maaaaaa(busy watching #jane by design movie#)

Mama ndidi: come on zuzuru bia ebe a!(Mumishly come here) Ara agbagbuo gi! Okpo(maddness catch you,mumu) grin
e no sweet
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by fairygeh(f): 8:48pm On Nov 24, 2012
The Bible even says spare the rod and spoil the child which means a little bit of lashing aint too much,At a certain stage,peer group influence could affect a child and what he/she needs is to be warned by the parents else he/she goes haywire.Insults on the other hand could affect a child negatively by cursing and stuffs.My own opinion is parents have the right to scold and not insult and if the child refuses to heed to warning,beating could be resorted to but not beating that the child could be seriously injured. I doubt it if i would be able to beat my future children though,dont think i can stand it.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Adufaye(m): 9:17pm On Nov 24, 2012
D only best insult parents shuld giv 2 der children is......"u wil bcum sumbody inlyf,u wil neva b poor n u wil b d best of ur kind.....ur family wil neva lack" no mata wat ur child did,swear wit swit mouth,pls! 4 beta 2moro
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by nagoma(m): 9:30pm On Nov 24, 2012
ifyalways: Why you insult your kids you are indirectly insulting yourself, IMO. Ok, maybe I should ask, what qualifies as an insult undecided
Its bad parenting to insult kids. You're teaching them that its acceptable to "insult" when you are mad.
I scold, draw their ears etc but no insult.

The OP is obviously using the wrong word " insult " . He probably means "rebuke ".

To insult is - to slight someone, it means insolence or contempt or indignity.

To rebuke - means to express disapproval or criticize someone for their action or behavior. Parents tend to rebuke and not insult their children and I think it's right to do that.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by bknight: 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2012
screaming oloriburuku, oloshi, ori e o da et al in my home? its jst not my style...dats fcking low life mehn! angry

I'd prefer to beat d hell out of a child than abuses...

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Youngzedd(m): 9:56pm On Nov 24, 2012
aryzgreat: Am sorry to say this, the yorubas are in the habit of correcting their wards with insults. To me this is very bad, words of mouth from parents have strong effects on their children's future

On point.

Anything you call ur children reflect on their behave, if you call them goats angrily they will turn out acting like goats.

Who knows if the character of the child is exactly the same with his/her parents behaviour when they were growing up, the parents may have done worst to compare to that of the child.

So we gonna becareful, no matter what they did you must not use abusive words if you truly want the best for ur kids.

For crying out loud they are half of you.

Ajo aha na egbu nwankita.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by nagoma(m): 10:11pm On Nov 24, 2012
aryzgreat: Am sorry to say this, the yorubas are in the habit of correcting their wards with insults. To me this is very bad, words of mouth from parents have strong effects on their children's future

I still think the word is rebuke and not insult. And we all know that Yorubas have better social behaviour ( respect) towards others. So perhaps the rebuke works on children to make ethem better behaved adults.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by ogtavia(m): 10:20pm On Nov 24, 2012
omotola1: There is no doubt we all know parenting is not an easy task.
Some people consider flogging a child cruel, inhumane and callous.
Would you consider insulting a child an appropriate disciplinary measure instead of flogging?

Do I look stupid?
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Peterpan1(m): 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
In the tongue lies the power of Life and death, am of the opinion that parents should nt insult thier children, bt we been humans are bound to go hay wire, so i'll drop this hint here, when you insult your child it might seem obnoxious to apologise to Him bt there's ntin stopping you from reversing the insult, always remember that
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Peterpan1(m): 10:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
nagoma:

I still think the word is rebuke and not insult. And we all know that Yorubas have better social behaviour ( respect) towards others. So perhaps the rebuke works on children to make ethem better behaved adults.
WHAT a woman opens her mouth and calls her child oloshi, ko ni dafun baba e, oloriburuku, and so on, and you say thats rebuke, my frnd change your orientation.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by omotola1(m): 10:58pm On Nov 24, 2012
Peter pan: WHAT a woman opens her mouth and calls her child oloshi, ko ni dafun baba e, oloriburuku, and so on, and you say thats rebuke, my frnd change your orientation.
I wonder o...
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by omotola1(m): 11:01pm On Nov 24, 2012
1ndidi2: Mama ndidi: ndidi!ndidi!ndiiiiidi! Bia where is that stupid girl undecided

Ndidi: maaaaaa(busy watching #jane by design movie#)

Mama ndidi: come on zuzuru bia ebe a!(Mumishly come here) Ara agbagbuo gi! Okpo(maddness catch you,mumu) grin
@ nagoma, does this illustration look like a rebuke to you?
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by TYtayo1: 11:16pm On Nov 24, 2012
I hav assessed children whose parents insult them and seriously it affects them negatively.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by troy20(m): 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2012
4 evry moment a parent resolts 2 abuses on a child u r taking away life 4rm them.parents dont seem 2 know wat they r doin.my mum literarily ruined my self exteem n my love 4 life.children r beautiful things bt nt here in 9ja where de r seen as being privilagd 2 b born.i think d government should review d child right law so that pple wil realise dat parenting is a top responsibily n bears consequencies if they abuse dat responsibity.cause wateva a child turns out 2 b is credit 2 d parents

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Ticklishmummy(f): 11:35pm On Nov 24, 2012
Very funny,when you hear some parents hurl insults at their kids,you will think a herbalist is chanting incantations and you begin to wonder if those kids were forced on them.
Parenting is not easy but it sure is fun. Parents do not need to hurl insults,yell or hit a child before they imbibe discipline in their kids but I guess you might tell this to the thin air for all they care. The cane/insults has replaced their mouth and the place of dialogue.

These are the same people who will not stop comparing their children to other kids and wishing their children were at least half as 'perfect' as their mates,big Irony.

Please if anyone knows any parent who indulges in this shameful act,please encourage them to memorize prophetic bible/quaranic/traditionalist verses(whichever applies),anytime they feel like they are about to have a verbal diarrhea it will come in handy. Kids need to me spared that mental and emotional torture.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Ticklishmummy(f): 11:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
fairygeh: The Bible even says spare the rod and spoil the child which means a little bit of lashing aint too much,At a certain stage,peer group influence could affect a child and what he/she needs is to be warned by the parents else he/she goes haywire.Insults on the other hand could affect a child negatively by cursing and stuffs.My own opinion is parents have the right to scold and not insult and if the child refuses to heed to warning,beating could be resorted to but not beating that the child could be seriously injured. I doubt it if i would be able to beat my future children though,dont think i can stand it.

The same bible says train a child the way he should go and he would never depart from it,on no condition should a parent raise his or her hand against a child.Dialogue has averted many wars,dialogue has mended many homes how much more if parents had to apply to unruly or stubborn children. The truth is parents have become just too lazy and shy away from their responsibilities and I bet if you told such parents that if their child refuses to heed warning,beating could be resorted to,they will go above and beyond using ''spare the rod and spoil the child'' as their defence. Parents simply abuse it!

Found a video on youtube,see link below might be funny but reflects what many of such parents are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0LNxLjrMO_8
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Lenny5000(m): 12:45am On Nov 25, 2012
omotola1: There is no doubt we all know parenting is not an easy task.
Some people consider flogging a child cruel, inhumane and callous.
Would you consider insulting a child an appropriate disciplinary measure instead of flogging?

Look at the Nigerian Society and see the result of Constantly INSULTING people from Kids to Adult
Words are Like Spirits they never die.. The World itself was created by Spoken words... Raising Kids requires self discipline and restrain.. Before starting a family I wifey agreed that we would never Insult our Kids no matter what and nobody else would and so far it has NEVER happened and yeap my boy is at the age they call "Terrible 2" where they will drive you Crazy, but no matter what he does I and nobody else will ever INSULT him and I cant stand these Insults myself cos I never liked it while growing up ... Bless.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by hassymo5(m): 1:38am On Nov 25, 2012
These words were from her parents to her cos she is in love with me
1. She should not marry a catholic
2. If she insist on marrying me they will not come to d wedding
3. They will make the bride price high so dat i wont be able to pay..
4. If she insist to marry me,, when they die she should not come to their grave
5. Their body pressure keep rising every day cos of her being disrespecting over the same boy they dont want!!!
6. Up till date dis girl is bein insulted cos she fell in love with a catholic
my girl kept crying day and night because of her parent statements!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 2:43am On Nov 25, 2012
It is wrong to insult to insult your kids. QED! Some parents do this for a couple of reasons- Illiteracy, Impatience, Anger... I will bless my kids and not curse them, but I will discipline them wella when they go astray. Y? Proverbs 13:4, 19:8, 23:13-14. Seeing all these reasons and more in the WORD validates my decision to punish when necessary... flogging is allowed, but not with anger but with consideration and love. As a corper, I flog my students and they love me, but some others, the less educated pupils fight back. It desegregates to why than what. I flog with my smiles on...if repeated, more strokes with more smiles, if need be. But enh, popsy abuses then helpd me sha o...him go speak isoko take yab...hmm, i go laugh inside...i no kukuma hear wetin u talk. yab, but no flog with those army wires like am a criminal. Thanks to God today. Whether ur parents cursed or not...God still has THE FINAL SAY!
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by gabinogem(m): 5:09am On Nov 25, 2012
Very interesting topic. We are human beings not aliens. Good nurturing is always better when u draw the child closer to explain the reason him/her was punished(flogged or insulted) in a different tone. Note; such discipline must be done in moderation. Never take it to the extreme lest the child will see you as an enemy.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by nagoma(m): 6:45am On Nov 25, 2012
omotola1:
@ nagoma, does this illustration look like a rebuke to you?

Sorry I don't speak Yoruba the language you wrote in. Unless you can translate.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by nagoma(m): 6:48am On Nov 25, 2012
Peter pan: WHAT a woman opens her mouth and calls her child oloshi, ko ni dafun baba e, oloriburuku, and so on, and you say thats rebuke, my frnd change your orientation.

Sorry what is the meaning? I don't speak the language.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by gbokukueba(m): 11:20am On Nov 25, 2012
nagoma:

Sorry what is the meaning? I don't speak the language.

You dont wanna know!!!
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? by omotola1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
nagoma:

Sorry I don't speak Yoruba the language you wrote in. Unless you can translate.
The one you qouted me for was not written in Yoruba & it was even interpreted by the poster.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? / KIDDIES and ADULT US STOCK School Shoes,Sport Shoes,Casual Shoes, Formal Shoes. / Stop Cooking With Red Oil. See Why! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.