Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (22522 Views)

Why Does President Buhari Treat Shiites And Fulani Herdsmen Differently? premium / Gamaliel Onosode Dies At 82 / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Malawian(m): 4:37pm On Dec 03, 2012
so this thread is still on? i go enter the fray full time o. make una no dull me again for here pls. @ngozievergree, why are you even trying to make sense with these guys? it seems you are new here and dont know how it works here. dayo and other e cowards, malawian is on the wings.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 03, 2012
ilugunboy:
Am sure the Ibos on Nairaland are shuddering at her posts...she sound too dumb as an Ibo lady.

Dayo and Desola are really having fun using her head as a toy..

thanks fr d compliments.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
Malawian: so this thread is still on? i go enter the fray full time o. make una no dull me again for here pls. @ngozievergree, why are you even trying to make sense with these guys? it seems you are new here and dont know how it works here. dayo and other e cowards, malawian is on the wings.

thank u very much for d information
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 9:41pm On Dec 04, 2012
Hello Katsumoto,

Thanks for your well reasoned response. I will give my comments after you have concluded: i.e: by responding to Qquestion 3. In that regard you asked me for an excerpt. Here goes -

- STARVATION POLICY

"Then, but above all, the ending of the war itself that I’m accused of, accused of starving the Ibos, I did nothing of the sort. You know, shortly after the liberation of these places, Calabar, Enugu and Port Harcort, I decided to pay a visit. There are certain things which I knew which you don’t know, which I don’t want to say here now, when I write my reminisces in the future I will do so. Some of the soldiers were not truthful with us, they didn’t tell us correct stories and so on.

I wanted to be there and see things for myself, bear in mind that Gowon himself did not go there at that time, it was after the war was over that he dorn himself up in various military dresses- Air force dress, Army dress and so on, and went to the war torn areas. But I went and some people tried to frighten me out of my goal by saying that Adekunle was my enemy and he was going to see to it that I never return from the place, so I went.

But when I went what did I see? I saw the kwashiorkor victims. If you see a kwashiorkor victim you’ll never like war to be waged. Terrible sight, in Enugu, in Port Harcourt, not many in Calabar, but mainly in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Then I enquired what happened to the food we are sending to the civilians. We were sending food through the Red cross, and CARITAS to them, but what happen was that the vehicles carrying the food were always ambushed by the soldiers. That’s what I discovered, and the food would then be taken to the soldiers to feed them, and so they were able to continue to fight. And I said that was a very dangerous policy, we didn’t intend the food for soldiers. But who will go behind the line to stop the soldiers from ambushing the vehicles that were carrying the food? And as long as soldiers were fed, the war will continue, and who’ll continue to suffer? and those who didn’t go to the place to see things as I did, you remember that all the big guns, all the soldiers in the Biafran army looked all well fed after the war, its only the mass of the people that suffered kwashiorkor.

You wont hear of a single lawyer, a single doctor, a single architect, who suffered from kwashiorkor? None of their children either, so they waylaid the foods, they ambush the vehicles and took the foods to their friends and to their collaborators and to their children and the masses were suffering. So I decided to stop sending the food there. In the process the civilians would suffer, but the soldiers will suffer most."

The full transcript of the interview is available here -

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/obafemi-awolowo-archives/exclusive-chief-obafemi-awolowo-on-biafra-in-his-own-words.html

It was culled from a an audio cassette tape made available to NVS by Dr. Olu Ogunremi.

Your comments then, on Question 3, and then I may revert, if need be.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 12:25am On Dec 05, 2012
Hello Deep Sight,

You are interpreting blockade to imply deliberate starvation. The object of any armed conflict is to defeat your enemy. Blockade or by its medieval term, siege, simply aims to cut your enemy off supply lines so as to achieve a quick victory. The war strategy for the Nigerian civil war was crafted by Army HQ and not Awolowo. That should be very clear. After having effected a blockade, Gowon allowed, for humanitarian reasons, the air shipment of aid (food, medicine, etc) by relief agencies.

As I stated earlier, Awolowo’s comments relate to the complete enforcement of that blockade i.e. no more air supplies. The total blockade was enforced in June 1969 because despite the starvation of kids, there were no starving soldiers and Biafra continued to charge fees to relief agencies so as to buy arms. Going by Awo’s comments in that interview, I suspected that was the interview you were referring to earlier, he is claiming responsibility for the decision to stop relief agencies dropping aid through air shipments. I will not disagree with that but I will not agree to Awo being responsible for the blockade or starvation for two main reasons

1. Blockade is a military tactic and was the brainchild of military strategists and had been in enforcement since September 1967, well before Awo visited Calabar, saw dying children, and advised against air shipments.

2. Responsibility for feeding Biafrans lay with Biafran High Command. If they surrendered when they ran out of food, no one would have died of starvation. A blockade should only affect imported goods. A war is over the minute you can’t grow food internally and you can’t import as well. During the American civil war, the Yankees enforced a blockade, which mainly affected arms and imported food items like bread. There were riots over bread shortages but by and large, there was no starvation. I have provided some information to support my position that the Gowon administration tried hard to prevent the suffering of civilians.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:46am On Dec 05, 2012
I've never understood why people waste their time on these debates. There's tenuous evidence for a lot of claims made and primordial ethnic sentiments determine the choice of who to believe. In any case, it's a great piece from Chimamanda.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by ACM10: 3:32am On Dec 05, 2012
Katsumoto: Hello Deep Sight,

You are interpreting blockade to imply deliberate starvation. The object of any armed conflict is to defeat your enemy. Blockade or by its medieval term, siege, simply aims to cut your enemy off supply lines so as to achieve a quick victory. The war strategy for the Nigerian civil war was crafted by Army HQ and not Awolowo. That should be very clear. After having effected a blockade, Gowon allowed, for humanitarian reasons, the air shipment of aid (food, medicine, etc) by relief agencies.

As I stated earlier, Awolowo’s comments relate to the complete enforcement of that blockade i.e. no more air supplies. The total blockade was enforced in June 1969 because despite the starvation of kids, there were no starving soldiers and Biafra continued to charge fees to relief agencies so as to buy arms. Going by Awo’s comments in that interview, I suspected that was the interview you were referring to earlier, he is claiming responsibility for the decision to stop relief agencies dropping aid through air shipments. I will not disagree with that but I will not agree to Awo being responsible for the blockade or starvation for two main reasons

1. Blockade is a military tactic and was the brainchild of military strategists and had been in enforcement since September 1967, well before Awo visited Calabar, saw dying children, and advised against air shipments.

2. Responsibility for feeding Biafrans lay with Biafran High Command. If they surrendered when they ran out of food, no one would have died of starvation. A blockade should only affect imported goods. A war is over the minute you can’t grow food internally and you can’t import as well. During the American civil war, the Yankees enforced a blockade, which mainly affected arms and imported food items like bread. There were riots over bread shortages but by and large, there was no starvation. I have provided some information to support my position that the Gowon administration tried hard to prevent the suffering of civilians.

Deep Sight: Hello Katsumoto,

- STARVATION POLICY

"Then, but above all, the ending of the war itself that I’m accused of, accused of starving the Ibos, I did nothing of the sort. You know, shortly after the liberation of these places, Calabar, Enugu and Port Harcort, I decided to pay a visit. There are certain things which I knew which you don’t know, which I don’t want to say here now, when I write my reminisces in the future I will do so. Some of the soldiers were not truthful with us, they didn’t tell us correct stories and so on.

I wanted to be there and see things for myself, bear in mind that Gowon himself did not go there at that time, it was after the war was over that he dorn himself up in various military dresses- Air force dress, Army dress and so on, and went to the war torn areas. But I went and some people tried to frighten me out of my goal by saying that Adekunle was my enemy and he was going to see to it that I never return from the place, so I went.

But when I went what did I see? I saw the kwashiorkor victims. If you see a kwashiorkor victim you’ll never like war to be waged. Terrible sight, in Enugu, in Port Harcourt, not many in Calabar, but mainly in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Then I enquired what happened to the food we are sending to the civilians. We were sending food through the Red cross, and CARITAS to them, but what happen was that the vehicles carrying the food were always ambushed by the soldiers. That’s what I discovered, and the food would then be taken to the soldiers to feed them, and so they were able to continue to fight. And I said that was a very dangerous policy, we didn’t intend the food for soldiers. But who will go behind the line to stop the soldiers from ambushing the vehicles that were carrying the food? And as long as soldiers were fed, the war will continue, and who’ll continue to suffer? and those who didn’t go to the place to see things as I did, you remember that all the big guns, all the soldiers in the Biafran army looked all well fed after the war, its only the mass of the people that suffered kwashiorkor.

You wont hear of a single lawyer, a single doctor, a single architect, who suffered from kwashiorkor? None of their children either, so they waylaid the foods, they ambush the vehicles and took the foods to their friends and to their collaborators and to their children and the masses were suffering. [size=28pt]So I decided to stop sending the food there. In the process the civilians would suffer, but the soldiers will suffer most[/size]."
Deliberate starvation?

The full transcript of the interview is available here -

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/obafemi-awolowo-archives/exclusive-chief-obafemi-awolowo-on-biafra-in-his-own-words.html

It was culled from a an audio cassette tape made available to NVS by Dr. Olu Ogunremi.

Your comments then, on Question 3, and then I may revert, if need be.

[size=28pt]What does international law say about Awo-Gowon criminal action?[/size]

[size=18pt]International armed conflicts[/size]
While in 1863 the Lieber Code still stated that “it is lawful to starve the hostile belligerent, armed or unarmed, so that it leads to the speedier subjection of the enemy”,[1] [size=28pt]by 1919 the Report of the Commission on Responsibility set up after the First World War listed “deliberate starvation of civilians” as a violation of the laws and customs of war subject to criminal prosecution[/size].[2] The prohibition of starvation as a method of warfare is codified in Article 54(1) of Additional Protocol I.[3] This provision was generally considered new at the time of the adoption of Additional Protocol I but since then has hardened into a rule of customary international law. Under the Statute of the International Criminal Court, “intentionally using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare” is a war crime in international armed conflicts.[4]
The prohibition of starvation is set forth in numerous military manuals.[5] Starvation of civilians as a method of warfare is an offence under the legislation of many States.[6] This rule is also supported by official statements and other practice.[7] This practice includes that of States not, or not at the time, party to Additional Protocol I.[8] Contrary practice has been generally condemned or has been denied by the accused party.[9]
http://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v1_rul_rule53
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
Katsumoto: Hello Deep Sight,

Thanks again for your comments.

Going by your comments, we can safely conclude that -

1. A blockade was in place at all times from the commencement of hostilities

2. The Federal Government however permitted air shipments of relief items into Biafra

3. Cheif Awolowo expressly claimed personal responsibility for stopping these air shipments.

The above, it is clear, is beyond cavil.

Once you accept this (which you have already accepted in your write-up, but, to avoid mis-understandings as we proceed, I seek an unequivocal "Yes" from you, regarding 1 - 3 above). . .then we shall proceed to discuss the question as to whether or not such an action stands up against international law at the time.

Thank you.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 2:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
In addittion to the foregoing, let me just build on the post by ACM10 above. I was going to go that way eventually but he has pre-empted me. So I might as well just do so now. In addittion to confirming your "yes" to points 1 - 3 in my last post, can you address these questions.

1. Was any act of deliberate starvation of civilians a war crime as of the time of the war? I ask this because you made allussions to international protocols that came into effect after the war and suggested that such could not apply to the war. That is correct: I am a lawyer by training and I know very well that legislation is not to be applied retroactively. The question I thus put to you is Whether the existing International Laws on War at the time of the civil war, did not recognize deliberate starvation of civilian populations as a war crime?

In answering this, please avert your mind to the citation of ACM10 in his last post.

2. Did Chief Awolowo not state in his 1983 interview that he very well knew that civilians would suffer from his directive - but simply felt that the Biafran military would suffer more?

3. Does (2) above not render the action therefore within the realm of that which must be classed "deliberate"?

Many thanks.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 6:31pm On Dec 05, 2012
Awaiting your kind response.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Malawian(m): 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
my oga, do you think we are here for honest debate? no go old o while waiting for the ofemmanus reply.
Deep Sight:
Awaiting your kind response.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
Deep Sight: In addittion to the foregoing, let me just build on the post by ACM10 above. I was going to go that way eventually but he has pre-empted me. So I might as well just do so now. In addittion to confirming your "yes" to points 1 - 3 in my last post, can you address these questions.

1. Was any act of deliberate starvation of civilians a war crime as of the time of the war? I ask this because you made allussions to international protocols that came into effect after the war and suggested that such could not apply to the war. That is correct: I am a lawyer by training and I know very well that legislation is not to be applied retroactively. The question I thus put to you is Whether the existing International Laws on War at the time of the civil war, did not recognize deliberate starvation of civilian populations as a war crime?

In answering this, please avert your mind to the citation of ACM10 in his last post.

2. Did Chief Awolowo not state in his 1983 interview that he very well knew that civilians would suffer from his directive - but simply felt that the Biafran military would suffer more?

3. Does (2) above not render the action therefore within the realm of that which must be classed "deliberate"?

Many thanks.

Article 23 of the 1949 Geneva is very clear on starvation. The Gowon administration did not fall foul of that article; please read it again.

The deliberate starvation of Biafrans was/is the responsibility of Ojukwu and the Biafran High Command. They couldn't feed their citizens and should have surrendered but they didn't. That is the main point. The issue of starvation would have been a stronger one if Nigeria continued to prevent food and aids to Biafra after the war.

The death of civilians is regrettable but there is no conflict in the history of man and was that has not led to the deaths of soldiers and civilians alike.

Trying to lay the blame of starvation on one man is disingenuous at worst and naive at best.

1. Biafra went to war without securing arms and food

2. Nigeria gained a military advantage but allowed aid to be air lifted.

3. Biafra then immorally charged relief agencies fees for supplying FREE food. Biafra used this funds to buy arms

4. Nigeria then put a stop to this and the war ends six months later.

Yet you want to put the blame of deliberate starvation on one one? ? ? The Biafrans were not culpable for the starvation and deaths? ? ?

I guess we have to agree to disagree. The facts are out there; let everyone analyse the 'facts' that suit their positions.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
@ Deep Sight

Please read the following article

"It is an emotive accusation but, in Biafra at least, it turned out to be wide of the mark. The Nigerian government was actually remarkably forgiving when Biafra finally surrendered, integrating its army and civil service back into federal structures and compensating people for property lost during the war. International observers testified that they found no evidence of genocide, although the famine and war death had been considerable.

Oxfam subsequently admitted that it had fallen "hook line and sinker" for a propaganda campaign by Biafra's government who hired a PR firm to promote their cause. The image which was to become iconic was of starving children, which journalists, like the young Frederick Forsyth, realised "struck a nerve" because they reminded postwar Europe of the Nazi death camps.

The ICRC's silence during the Holocaust made it particularly vulnerable to Kouchner's accusation. But objective historical accounts shows that it its relief effort was at least as effective as that of the other agencies and its attempts to preserve its neutrality was a principled contrast to those who allowed themselves to be politically manipulated. The government of Biafra effectively taxed agencies bringing in supplies and used the money to keep the war going. It turned down the offer of a supervised "land corridor", realising how dramatic the night flights had become, and also used them as cover for bringing in weapons along the same route.

Most humanitarian agencies now accept that their intervention in Biafra was badly thought out and, by prolonging the war for an extra 18 months, exacerbated the suffering of those that they were trying to help.
If the "business" of humanitarian aid is to reduce human suffering than actions which increase it should presumably be subject to some sort of sanction. Yet it is doubtful if anyone suffered any disciplinary action from Biafra. On the contrary, it proved a huge boost to the careers of a number of individuals and to a creed of "political humanitarianism" that became a prototype for future interventions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/sep/20/humanitarianerrors

See link below for proof of Ojukwu not allowing relief agencies to drop aid at times different from arms drops. Taking that and article 23 together, you will realize that it is almost impossible to charge let alone convict anyone on the Nigerian side for genocide or deliberate starvation.

http://books.google.gr/books?id=KxiKPeQyiakC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=landing+fees+biafra+ojukwu&source=bl&ots=9b32DbMfDR&sig=xPMnD19K0czQY9pPkxa1WRXEBlI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Atl0UPmcKInOswbwmYBo&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=landing%20fees%20biafra%20ojukwu&f=false

Read the assessment of the Canadian observer, General Hamilton, in the link below.

It is on page 4 towards the mid-section.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ai9mAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1YoNAAAAIBAJ&pg=3771
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by ACM10: 8:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Katsumoto:

Article 23 of the 1949 Geneva is very clear on starvation. The Gowon administration did not fall foul of that article; please read it again.

The deliberate starvation of Biafrans was/is the responsibility of Ojukwu and the Biafran High Command. They couldn't feed their citizens and should have surrendered but they didn't. That is the main point. The issue of starvation would have been a stronger one if Nigeria continued to prevent food and aids to Biafra after the war.

The death of civilians is regrettable but there is no conflict in the history of man and was that has not led to the deaths of soldiers and civilians alike.

Trying to lay the blame of starvation on one man is disingenuous at worst and naive at best.

3. Biafra then immorally charged relief agencies fees for supplying FREE food. Biafra used this funds to buy arms

Yet you want to put the blame of deliberate starvation on one one? ? ? The Biafrans were not culpable for the starvation and deaths? ? ?

I guess we have to agree to disagree. The facts are out there; let everyone analyse the 'facts' that suit their positions.

1. This is coldhearted policy championed by Awo. There exist a clause in Geneva Convention of 1949 which clearly stated that civilians should always be protected!

2. In a bid to gain an advantage. Awo-Gowon inflicted collateral damage on the civilian populations. The term collateral damage refers to any harm to civilians or damage to civilian structures that occur during an attack on an otherwise legitimate military objective. The issue of proportionality comes into play when determining whether the collateral damage caused by an attack is enough to render the attack unlawful. [size=18pt]It is forbidden to launch an attack that is expected to cause loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, or damage to civilian objects that is "excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage" that is anticipated from the attack. This military and philosophical concept of proportionality is applied within two frameworks of war:[/size]

Jus ad bellum: The set of principles that applies to why a war is fought.

Jus in bello: The set of principles that applies to how a war is fought.

Within jus ad bellum (why a war is fought), proportionality determines the lawfulness of the military and strategic goals; thus, an attacker must explore whether the overall level of a military objective is proportionate to the level of threat against which it is supposed to be a response. Within jus in bello (how a war is fought), the concept determines the lawfulness of attacks that cause civilian casualties; thus, measures have to be taken to limit the harm military actions cause civilian populations.

3. You must understand the principle of distinction, the legal obligation of combatants and military leaders to distinguish between civilians and combatants. This distinction involves an understanding of the legal definition of each category of people, the ability to recognize civilians and civilian objects during times of war, and the obligation to protect civilians once identified.

Permit me to quote Awo once more. . .

You wont hear of a single lawyer, a single doctor, a single architect, who suffered from kwashiorkor? None of their children either, so they waylaid the foods, they ambush the vehicles and took the foods to their friends and to their collaborators and to their children and the masses were suffering. [size=28pt]So I decided to stop sending the food there. In the process the civilians would suffer, but the soldiers will suffer most[/size]."
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
Agreeing to disagree is not option, abi?
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by debosky(m): 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
@ ACM10

Even if we follow the approach within jus in bello Awo's actions were fully justified. The civilian casualties of a long drawn out conflict would have exceeded the unfortunate and thoroughly regrettable casualties that the food blockade caused. Ending the conflict in 6 months better protected Biafran civilians than any prolonged armed conflict would ever have done.

Besides, when did jus ad bellum and jus in bello cease to apply to the Biafran side?

Did the Biafran army ensure 'civilians should always be protected' by diverting food meant for civilians to feed soldiers? Biafra intentionally refused to protect civilians, and when offered an alternative route to get food to civilians, Biafra also rejected that - if anything that is the war crime - seeking to pursue military objectives to the direct detriment of civilians.

No matter how you spin it, Biafra is more culpable for the deaths than anyone else since it refused food aid for civilians because it wanted to keep military supplies flowing to prolong the war.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 7:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Katsumoto:

Thanks again for your response. I therefore take it that you agree to the Facts I enumerated [1 - 3] in my earlier post.

Now, I would like to say that I do enjoy discussing difficult subjects, as debate and discourse are life long passions of mine. I say this to draw your attention to a very deliberate method of discussion I choose to employ when the subject is particularly touchy, complicated, controversial, convoluted and extensive.

In such discussions it is generally impossible to reach a universal consensus on all issues. For this reason I choose an approach that streamlines the key question and breaks it down without much ado. For this same reason I deliberately choose not to be drawn the many side-questions available in this discussion, particularly because I do not even contest them. For example, on the side-question as to Ojukwu's culpability, I needn't be drawn because I do not contest it. He is doubtless culpable in many ways - not the least of which was the act of secession in itself.

Nevertheless that is not the subject of this thread: this thread arose from the allussions madeby Professor Achebein his book There was a country to Chief Awolowo's role re: the question of starvation, and Chimamanda Adichie's response to the ensuing debate.

As such, I frame my questions to govern the central question raised: Is it true that Chief Awolowo was responsible for the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Biafrans in terms of his self confessed decision to "stop sending food there"?

As far as the facts disclose, and as confirmed in the illustrious Cheif's own words - It is true. Let me quickly add that this does not mean that Ojukwu does not also share responsibility. He does. As I said before, Ojukuwu's culpability, I do not contest. It is useless to try to argue as many do here:painting either party a saint and the reverse party a demon. Both are culpable, and many others too. But in specific answer to the topic, definitely Awo was responsible for a decision that starved thousands to death. That cannot be disputed.

This is for the following reasons - - ->

1. A blockade was in place at all times from the commencement of hostilities;

2. The Federal Government however permitted air shipments of relief items into Biafra;

3. Cheif Awolowo expressly claimed personal responsibility for stopping these air shipments.

In his words, he very well knew that "civilians would suffer" and as such, the act must be classed deliberate.

The foregoing facts are not contested by you.

As such, in order not to be drawn into an endless slew of possible side-questions (Should Biafra have surrendered; Was Ojukwu also culpable; Could Biafra have permitted greater access, etcetera ad infinitum - all of which I firmly accede to and do not contest) - I frame the question that arises from facts 1 - 3 above in very conscise and simple terms - to wit: Was the act of "stopping the air shipments" acceptable under International Law governing War at the time?

This is a most simple question: for which the answer from any honest discussant should be yea or nay only.

In deriving that answer, we need only have recourse to the relevant laws themselves.

Now, as you already know, Article 23 of the 1949 Geneva states as follows -

Art. 23. Each High Contracting Party shall allow the free passage of all consignments of medical and hospital stores and objects necessary for religious worship intended only for civilians of another High Contracting Party, even if the latter is its adversary. It shall likewise permit the free passage of all consignments of essential foodstuffs, clothing and tonics intended for children under fifteen, expectant mothers and maternity cases.

The obligation of a High Contracting Party to allow the free passage of the consignments indicated in the preceding paragraph is subject to the condition that this Party is satisfied that there are no serious reasons
for fearing:

(a) that the consignments may be diverted from their destination,
(b) that the control may not be effective, or
(c) that a definite advantage may accrue to the military efforts or economy of the enemy through the substitution of the above-mentioned consignments for goods which would otherwise be provided or produced by the enemy or through the release of such material, services or facilities as would otherwise be required for the production of such goods.

The Power which allows the passage of the consignments indicated in the first paragraph of this Article may make such permission conditional on the distribution to the persons benefited thereby being made under the local supervision of the Protecting Powers.

Such consignments shall be forwarded as rapidly as possible, and the Power which permits their free passage shall have the right to prescribe the technical arrangements under which such passage is allowed.

The question is therefore whether or not Awo's directive falls foul of the foregoing or not. Simple. Nothing more, and nothing less.

In answering that question, if it were put to me personally, I'd have to look at the qualifications: in this case possible diversion of the relief items cardinally. To be very succint: I do not believe that this risk can ever be eliminated in any war.

As such the fact that the risk exists is not by itself sufficient. That is a given. It has to be the case that the diversion is of such a nature that the relief intended is not being met. This was Awo's argument - but one critical factor belies it - the incontestible fact that supplies - no matter how meagre - and no matter how diverted - were reaching Biafra. This was stopped by Awo - as he personally admits.

Please note the following -

After entering the country, the volunteers, in addition to Biafran health workers and hospitals, were subjected to attacks by the Nigerian army, and witnessed civilians being murdered and starved by the blockading forces. Kouchner also witnessed these events, particularly the huge number of starving children, and when he returned to France, he publicly criticised the Nigerian government and the Red Cross for their seemingly complicit behaviour. With the help of other French doctors, Kouchner put Biafra in the media spotlight and called for an international response to the situation. These doctors, led by Kouchner, concluded that a new aid organisation was needed that would ignore political/religious boundaries and prioritise the welfare of victims. They created Médecins Sans Frontières in 1971 (Doctors Without Borders).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War[19]

My friend, given that the Biafra conflict had already become a major international humanitarian spectacle, you will have little traction in defending such a decision taken at such a time. It is plausible to argue as you do, and as Awo does, that it brought the war to a swifter end, but it could never be plausible to state that it was a neccesary means so to do: given the fact of the balance of strength, which was in any case overwhelmingly in favour of Nigeria. In other words, Nigeria would anyhow have won that war: and not significantly later than it did in fact - thus rendering it not apt to argue that the decision "to stop sending food there" was strictly necessary."

My position on this matter as far as the law is concerned - is that -

1. Under the Geneva 1949, Nigeria had a legal responsibility to allow aid through to civilians - unless stoppage of such was STRICTLY necessary.

2. Stoppage of the aid was NOT stricty necessary in view of the balance of strength.

Based on the foregoing I would conclude that the directive by Awo certainly fell foul of International Law and Humanitarian Standards.

Now, I should add one last thing. And this is a point glossed over by many. I also gloss over it for the simple fact that I prefer to deal with the law of the matter and not the morality of the matter. But I must tell you that in this instance the morality of the matter cannot be ignored. I speak specifically of the fact this is was supposedly a war of unity: a war directed towards forcing our own fellow country men to remain part of Nigeria against their will - in this kind of war, it then becomes more spectacularly cruel to "stop sending food there" in the words of Awo - especially when one notes that the Nigerian bombers also targetted farms to ensure that no food could be produced.

Say what you may: but such a directive, particularly in the circumstances of already existing famine I insist, cannot be defended before the courts of man; and certainly will not be heard for in the court of God.

Many thanks.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 7:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
With images such as this from Biafra already generating worldwide angst, such a decision from Chief Awolowo at such a time and particularly against a population intended to be brought back into the Nigerian Federation in unity. . . .is absolutely and lamentably unthinkable. And I certainly say that any one with a conscience,and not blind-sided with ethnic fury or jingoism - must see reason in this.

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 8:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
@ Deep Sight

You are picking parts of Article 23, interpreting them in YOUR own view, and ignoring other parts. Whether you believe that the risk of diverting aid from civilians is unavoidable in every conflict or not is irrelevant. Once it is proven that aid was diverted from the group it was meant for under Article 23, the Nigerian side is no longer culpable. The article lists several conditions and you decided to focus on only one. You are introducing opinion and conjecture in a bid to lay guilt at Awo's feet. You are a lawyer and you should know that opinion or conjecture will not convict anyone in a court of law. The court will look at all the conditions to ascertain whether civilians were deliberately targeted.

(a) that the consignments may be diverted from their destination - Aid was diverted

(b) that the control may not be effective - it was not effective because many died from starvation even before total blockade was imposed in June 1969

(c) that a definite advantage may accrue to the military efforts or economy of the enemy through the substitution of the above-mentioned consignments for goods which would otherwise be provided or produced by the enemy or through the release of such material, services or facilities as would otherwise be required for the production of such goods - [b]Biafra did gain several advantages. It obtained funds from relief agencies; it used to funds to procure arms and to establish its own currency.[/b]

(e) The Power which allows the passage of the consignments indicated in the first paragraph of this Article may make such permission conditional on the distribution to the persons benefited thereby being made under the local supervision of the Protecting Powers - Nigeria placed conditions which were rejected by Ojukwu

Such consignments shall be forwarded as rapidly as possible, and the Power which permits their free passage shall have the right to prescribe the technical arrangements under which such passage is allowed - As above, this was rejected by Ojukwu

While you may focus on those individuals that were starved for the six months till the end of the war, others will argue that the move saved more lives. This is now globally accepted. Even by the relief agencies.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 9:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
Katsumoto: @ Deep Sight

You are picking parts of Article 23, interpreting them in YOUR own view, and ignoring other parts. Whether you believe that the risk of diverting aid from civilians is unavoidable in every conflict or not is irrelevant. Once it is proven that aid was diverted from the group it was meant for under Article 23, the Nigerian side is no longer culpable. The article lists several conditions and you decided to focus on only one. You are introducing opinion and conjecture in a bid to lay guilt at Awo's feet. You are a lawyer and you should know that opinion or conjecture will not convict anyone in a court of law. The court will look at all the conditions to ascertain whether civilians were deliberately targeted.

"Targetted", I do not know, but I surely know, as you surely know, and as Awo said, that he made the decision fully alive to the fact that there would be civilian casualties of that decision. That is sufficient to class the decision as "deliberate".

(a) that the consignments may be diverted from their destination - Aid was diverted

As I said previously this is not a risk that can be obviated in any conflict. Perhaps the relevance of my mentioning that missed you: the relevance rests in the fact that any party that seeks to suppress aid in any conflict can very easily deploy this excuse.It would never fail in any circumstance:on account of the ever present and inalienable risk of diversion.

In short, it is a very handy and easily accessible excuse in every such circumstance.

And therein lies the fine nuance in my argument which seems to escape you: namely that an instance which would justify such must be shown to be absolutely and unavoidably necessary.

I am certain that you would not contend that it was absolutely and unavoidably necessary in the instance referred to.

(b) that the control may not be effective - it was not effective because many died from starvation even before total blockade was imposed in June 1969

Katsumoto! I am mildly surprised. How could you possibly argue that a control meaure is not effective for the reason that the problem already existed before directives that worsened it were issued?

This is like arguing that a doctor bears no culpability in his mis-treatment of a patient since the patient was already ill.

Surely, you see what a mis-footed line of reasoning that is. Surely you do.

(c) that a definite advantage may accrue to the military efforts or economy of the enemy through the substitution of the above-mentioned consignments for goods which would otherwise be provided or produced by the enemy or through the release of such material, services or facilities as would otherwise be required for the production of such goods - [b]Biafra did gain several advantages. It obtained funds from relief agencies; it used to funds to procure arms and to establish its own currency.[/b]

This is unavoidable in any conflict: and as such I would argue that the question of necessity should be the prizm from which this condition should be viewed and interpreted.

(e) The Power which allows the passage of the consignments indicated in the first paragraph of this Article may make such permission conditional on the distribution to the persons benefited thereby being made under the local supervision of the Protecting Powers - Nigeria placed conditions which were rejected by Ojukwu

Of course it is possible for any power to place conditions that would in effect give its armies corridors for invasion. This makes no sense to me - because the fact of the matter is that this matter is not in dispute. Every power under siege would necessarily be circumspect about such. Do I hear someone whiser Trojan Horse?

What is in dispute is the fact that Chief Awolowo decided to stop the air shipments - and his reasons for same, are clearly stated. He also acknowldged that he knew civilians would die as a consequence. So it was a decision knowingly taken.

At this juncture I will pause to point out two falsehoods which you stated in your arguments but which you now have resiled from or gone silent on, once they were pointed out.

Falsehood 1: You made allusion to the fact that the International Laws on this matter could not cover the Biafra Scenario because the relevant laws post-dated 1970.

That has been shown to be manifestly untrue. And I scratch my head wondering why you would have made that somewhat odd attempt. Not only was the insinuation false; I am disturbed that you would seek to exculpate the Chief based only on a technicality - on such a deeply moral issue! ! !

Once pointed out, you have gone silent on that one.

It gives very serious and worrying reason to question your objectivity in this matter: that you even attempted to make such an argument.

Falsehood 2: You clearly stated in your earlier arguments that in a Federal Cabinet full of military officers, Chief Awolowo couldnot be the authour of the policy.

The fact of the matter is that he specifically claimed authourship!

Again you have gone silent on this one.

Such consignments shall be forwarded as rapidly as possible, and the Power which permits their free passage shall have the right to prescribe the technical arrangements under which such passage is allowed - As above, this was rejected by Ojukwu

Again, as I stated above, this must needs be interpreted with the nuance of strict necessity, which was not the case. The reason that this must be the way to interprete it, is the simple fact that if given the literal rule of interprepation, no power can EVER be held responsible in this regard because they would ofcourse always prescribe conditions that would aid their invasionary interests. Gbam.

At this stage I have to ask you again whether you belief that the decision to stop the air shipments was strictly necessary?

While you may focus on those individuals that were starved for the six months till the end of the war, others will argue that the move saved more lives. This is now globally accepted. Even by the relief agencies.

First, remember that history is always written by the victorious party in any conflict; and so i'd be circumspect.

Can I ask you whether or not you accept the fact that Nigerian victory was inevitable regardless - and not at too great a distance from the date of cessation of hostilities?

And in view of that fact, I also ask you if such a policy was as such necessary.

Now finally, I note that you made no comment on that which I said regarding the morality of such a policy in a civil war of unity: a war directed towards forcing our own fellow country men to remain part of Nigeria against their will? Do you think its not a cardinal issue?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
We have to agree to disagree. You are seeking to invalidate Article 23 of the Geneva convention with your opinion. I do not wish to challenge your opinion so as to debate it.

With regards to the two falsehoods, I didn't go silent, I have made my point and didn't see a need to keep repeating myself. Just as I am not seeking to repeat myself to rebut your last post.

If anyone believes that the Nigerian side deliberately starved civilians, then they should make a case to the ICC.

Thanks for being civil.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by DeepSight(m): 10:12pm On Dec 06, 2012
Katsumoto: We have to agree to disagree. You are seeking to invalidate Article 23 of the Geneva convention with your opinion. I do not wish to challenge your opinion so as to debate it.

With regards to the two falsehoods, I didn't go silent, I have made my point and didn't see a need to keep repeating myself. Just as I am not seeking to repeat myself to rebut your last post.

If anyone believes that the Nigerian side deliberately starved civilians, then they should make a case to the ICC.

Thanks for being civil.

Many thanks for the time and points also: I would like to assure you that your points are not lost on me and I actually agree with a lot of the things you have said. I also must assure you that I am not in the league of those who seek to demonize the Chief or lay any blame soley at his feet. I am of the view that all key parties were culpable in many respects. Gowon for Aburi; Ojukwu for goat-headedly insisting on secession (proably the biggest culprit) Awo for some of his policies and many others for many more. I must say though, that Chief Awolowo was an outstanding intellectual of the calibre of any of the greatest minds in history anywhere in the world.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by nduchucks: 10:22am On Dec 07, 2012
Deep Sight:

Many thanks for the time and points also: I would like to assure you that your points are not lost on me and I actually agree with a lot of the things you have said. I also must assure you that I am not in the league of those who seek to demonize the Chief or lay any blame soley at his feet. I am of the view that all key parties were culpable in many respects. Gowon for Aburi; Ojukwu for goat-headedly insisting on secession (proably the biggest culprit) Awo for some of his policies and many others for many more. I must say though, that Chief Awolowo was an outstanding intellectual of the calibre of any of the greatest minds in history anywhere in the world.

I thank Deep Sight, Katsumoto, ACM10 and others for the entertainment. Deep Sight's bolded statement above is completely accurate and I believe that the posters I mentioned are very well aware of the accuracy of the statement.

But why una waste so much time with point counter point given your knowledge of the bolded? abi una be debating eran iya ni? una must either be the academic types of ogbanje lawyers. smiley
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 07, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I thank Deep Sight, Katsumoto, ACM10 and others for the entertainment. Deep Sight's bolded statement above is completely accurate and I believe that the posters I mentioned are very well aware of the accuracy of the statement.

But why una waste so much time with point counter point given your knowledge of the bolded? abi una be debating eran iya ni? una must either be the academic types of ogbanje lawyers. smiley

You sure know how to make one laugh, grin even at pun...

Deep Sight:

Many thanks for the time and points also: I would like to assure you that your points are not lost on me and I actually agree with a lot of the things you have said. I also must assure you that I am not in the league of those who seek to demonize the Chief or lay any blame soley at his feet. I am of the view that all key parties were culpable in many respects. Gowon for Aburi; Ojukwu for goat-headedly insisting on secession (probably the biggest culprit) Awo for some of his policies and many others for many more. I must say though, that Chief Awolowo was an outstanding intellectual of the calibre of any of the greatest minds in history anywhere in the world.

That in bold is the greatest truth ever told in this country.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by mildteddy(m): 10:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
Katsumoto: Just want to pick a few holes in Adichie’s knowledge and analytical ability.

1. The object of a blockade is not to starve your enemy but to restrict the flow of armaments to it. If your enemy continues to receive arms, it continues to fight. Since no man who can’t feed himself has no business fighting a war, the RATIONAL action is to surrender once you run out of food and arms. Blockade is a military tactic; since Awolowo was not a military man and he was surrounded by military men, men who had trained at the Royal Military College Sandhurst, the credit for the blockade can’t be Awo’s

2. Awo did not prevent an Igbo man (Azikiwe) from ruling the West; Azikiwe’s NCNC lost the election We are yet to see the results of the elections according to the NCNC which gave it victory in 1951.

See election results below
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1956+election+NCNC&source=bl&ots=xlo8I8O_iF&sig=jmQDabaMysM0SG7MMZI3yFZ49dg&hl=en&ei=004zTvWKL4OnsALHmdTtCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1956%20election%20NCNC&f=false

In any case, what business did Zik have in wanting to rule outside his region? Could he love the Western region as much as the people from the Western region? When some Igbo belabor this point, one would think that the Easterners had allowed a Yoruba man to be premier of the Eastern region but the Westerners prevented the Easterners from ruling the West.

3. I am disappointed in Adichie’s interpretation of Awo’s speech to the Western leaders in Ibadan just before the war started. Awo said and I quote “If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation.” One would have expected Adichie to have better comprehension skills. What part of that quote expresses the intention of Awo to secede with the Eastern region?

4. Another lie that is told by many Igbo people is that Awo gave them only £20 for the millions they left in their bank accounts. The facts are that Igbo people took their savings and contributed it to the war effort. The grouse with the £20 pound policy is that Biafran pounds were obviously worthless at the end of the war and many were expecting the Nigerian government to exchange the Biafran notes for Nigerian notes. That would have introduced serious inflation and would have been economic suicide. Did the Biafrans return the £40million in the central banks in PortHarcourt and Enugu, the £53million in circulation, and the £2 million stolen from the Benin central bank? Igbo people were able to recover their properties in the West, and the rent which accrued from it but were unable to recover their properties in PortHarcourt which was in their own region.

5. Adichie states the Igbo held many positions in Nigeria because they were receptive to Western education. So the other groups in Nigeria weren’t receptive to Western education?

6. Gowon implemented most of the provisions from Aburi, the blame for war lay with Ojukwu who insisted on 100% implementation. The sticking point in any case, was that Ojukwu insisted that the Nigerian Head of State not have the power to appoint and fire regional governors i.e Ojukwu. This is quite an irony considering each region had the right to elect its own officials until Igbo sons organized the first coup and Ironsi unified the entire country. However, you dice it, Ndigbo were responsible for the events leading to the war.

7. Adichie’s insincerity and naivety comes to the fore when she argues that Ojukwu was right to ignore Gowon’s offer for a relief corridor because Airlifts were safer and also offered the opportunity to bring in much needed arms. First, Ojukwu charged landing fees to relief organisations which were providing FREE food to starving Biafrans. Second, Ojukwu refused different landing times for aid shipments because he wanted to continue smuggling in arms. Ojukwu’s people were dying and food should have been a priority over arms and money. He was in the weaker position against Gowon and had no right to make demands. He was also wrong to make extreme demands of the relief agencies. Does Adichie know the objectives of war? See excerpts from Fiona Terry's book "Codemmed to Repeat?: The Paradox Of Humanitarian Action' in the link below.

http://books.google.gr/books?id=KxiKPeQyiakC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=landing+fees+biafra+ojukwu&source=bl&ots=9b32DbMfDR&sig=xPMnD19K0czQY9pPkxa1WRXEBlI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Atl0UPmcKInOswbwmYBo&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=landing%20fees%20biafra%20ojukwu&f=false

No one can deny Ndigbo’s right to feel the pains of the war but it appears that many Igbos want to continue twisting facts to further cement their victim mentality. It is obvious that the propaganda spread by Achebe has corrupted many Igbo young persons. When you tell your stories, be prepared to listen to the stories of the other side.
Had it been that I have time, I would have liked to permit myself to get you wrong sir in a few of your candid points expressed from a stand point of a true moralist like your ancestors such as Awo were. But one thing I'll like to say is not new to come on NL, talk crap and get 40 likes, because we actually live in a society where people are more interested in the quantity and quality of peoples sentence construction and most at times "oratorial" and ability to manipulate facts in a way that suits their backward oriented minds and not the rudimentary facts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London / Gbajabiamila Threatens More Violence If Not Made House Leader – Hon. Ahmad / Obasanjo's Dance Moves At His 79th Birthday [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.