Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (22516 Views)

Why Does President Buhari Treat Shiites And Fulani Herdsmen Differently? premium / Gamaliel Onosode Dies At 82 / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by coogar: 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza: Isn't it a public knowledge that the british supported nigerian military attack on biafra by supplying arms and other military logistics to nigeria army,including hiring egyptians for air strikes.

In view of these facts,why would anyone care about what british propanganda machine have to say about biafra,isn't this like seeking for the dead among the living. What would you expect a british newspaper like the guardian to say about biafra? Some people are just plain stupid. SMH.

you are a disgrace.....
what about the fact that the international community were able to broker a deal between biafra and federal government? this deal was an offer to ojukwu to open a road corridor for food to be transported to the suffering igbo civilians - but ojukwu turned down the deal! he insisted food should be flown into biafra instead under the cover of darkness so he could smuggle more arms and what-not......ojukwu's pride and his cravings for the propaganda the pictures of those malnourished kids created was responsible for the genocide!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by odehaj: 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2012
Too long couldn't finish it!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 7:03pm On Nov 26, 2012
The story of a fair yoruba lady escaping being lynched by the blood thirsty yoruba mob,because they thought she was igbo was really interesting. I just posted the story in my facebook page,and you can't believe the reaction that i am getting from our brothers and sisters in the south west.

I think we need to create a biafra story site,where we can get our elders who escaped lagos to biafra to tell us about their ordeal. Those young igbos running around lagos claiming omo yoruba,need to see the bigger picture.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Xfactoria: 7:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
The Igbos are the most self-centered folks I have ever known in this world. It is in them not to care what happens to their neighbour as long as they achieve their selfish aims. This attitude is evident in all Igbos both in business and politics and honestly speaking, this is not about sentiments.

Adichie's story hinted that Igbos just wanted to be left alone. That is utter falsehood. They attempted a march to Lagos that was thwarted at Ore. My wife is from the old Mid-West. Her father, who is now 80years old, and I got around discussing the civil war sometime ago. He told me the atrocities of the Biafra soldiers in Sapele and the entire Urhobo land in those days. It was more like colonization! My father also told me of what the Yorubas in Ore and its environs suffered in the hands of Biafra soldiers. Everywhere, from Calabar to Benin to Ore, no one would give a good account of Biafra soldiers of those days.

So Igbos expect Yorubas to give up their peace and allow Biafra soldiers match through their land to wreck havoc on them and do to them what they saw them do to the tribes in today's south-south? The Yoruba casualties in Ore alone were eye-openers! So, I'm not going to come here to argue whether Awolowo starved the Igbos intentionally or not because to me, any action to ensure the defeat of the ambitious and advancing Biafra soldiers who do not leave good tales in the mouth of any community they transversed would be justified.

It seems to me that Achebe's attempt to label Awolowo as an enemy of the Igbo is malicious and shallow because really, if indeed the Yorubas were the Igbos' enemies because of the civil war, then there are plenty enemies for the Igbos starting from the Efik, Ibibios, Ijaws, Binis, Urhobos, Ikwerres etc all of whom have many sad tales to tell of Biafra soldiers. In fact, the Ikwerres attempted to revenge all the attrocities of Biafra in their land by seizing all Igbo owned properties and converting them to theirs during the civil war. At least, no igbo man lost his property or investments in Yorubaland during and after the war as this scholar rightly said. Ojukwu's father's properties in Lagos were seized by the FG and later returned to him. I know one of those properties in Ikoyi.

It is high time Igbos got over this hatred thing and get ready to live in Nigeria. Biafra is a mirage!

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza: The story of a fair yoruba lady escaping being lynched by the blood thirsty yoruba mob,because they thought she was igbo was really interesting. I just posted the story in my facebook page,and you can't believe the reaction that i am getting from our brothers and sisters in the south west.

I think we need to create a biafra story site,where we can get our elders who escaped lagos to biafra to tell us about their ordeal. Those young igbos running around lagos claiming omo yoruba,need to see the bigger picture.

Absolute bunkum. As if there are no light skinned Yorubas! There's more to this story.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by sirtyler: 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2012
Nice one
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by frederal(m): 7:11pm On Nov 26, 2012
d longest article, I've cared to read. nice one, baby
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 7:12pm On Nov 26, 2012
coogar:

you are a disgrace.....
what about the fact that the international community were able to broker a deal between biafra and federal government? this deal was an offer to ojukwu to open a road corridor for food to be transported to the suffering igbo civilians - but ojukwu turned down the deal! he insisted food should be flown into biafra instead under the cover of darkness so he could smuggle more arms and what-not......ojukwu's pride and his cravings for the propaganda the pictures of those malnourished kids created was responsible for the genocide!

Shut up. Stop spreading british and nigerian press propaganda here.

The nigeran army despite all the british support and egyptian air raids couldn't break biafra down,so they resorted to using the guise of food supply to penetrate biafra,which the wise ojukwu recognized and rightly refused. It was nigerian govt that decided to stop charitable organizations from bringing food into biafra. Try harder next time, nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by dayokanu(m): 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2012
The daily Igbo bitchathon in full force.

I would be back after reading it all
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Crayola1: 7:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
dayokanu: The daily Igbo bitchathon in full force.

I would be back after reading it all

The meds have worn off what a shame sad

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Malawian(m): 7:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
dont mind the mofo. he wants us to allow our food go through awolowo, the master of rat poisons. msheeew.
pazienza:

The nigeran army despite all the british support and egyptian air raids couldn't break biafra down,so they resorted to using the guise of food supply to penetrate biafra,which the wise ojukwu recognized and rightly refused. It was nigerian govt that decided to stop charitable organizations from bringing food into biafra. Try harder next time, nonsense!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
Achebe:

- Awolowo tricked Igbos into oing to war with Nigeria...
- Awolowo never did nothing to avert the war[b](bear in mind that the man in prison during the couple and counter coup)[/b].
- Awolowo and his Yoruba people were trying to displace the "superior" Igbos who dominated everything...
- Nnamdi Azikwe was the only pan-Africanist among his peers[b](that's laughable because Azikwe was the most tribalistic and corrupt)[/b].

Chimanda:
- The Igbo adults "say" and "said" Awolowo was "this" and "that."
- Igbos are marginalised[b](despite being the highest number of number citizens in Nigeria since independence)[/b].
- Awolowo betrayed Igbos(however, Igbos love Awolowo so much that they colluded with NPC to lock him up in prison).
- Yorubas never showed Igbos empathy about their loss(es) during the civil war(no abandoned property saga in the SW and welcomed you back to their midst, what else do you want?)

Personally, I think Igbos are "in love" with Yoruba people, however, Yoruba people don't really give two fvcks about them and their plight..Perhaps, that's why they can't get over the victim mentality and the blame game... However, you can't blame the Yorubas because they don't really like the mentality and temparent of Igbos - they probably think Igbos are too brash, aggressive, and arrogant - to form any kind of bond with, but they can tolerate Igbos just as they tolerate everyone else... Yoruba people are deep thinkers and peace loving people - and you need similar characteristics to form a special bond with them..

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2012
Aigbofa:

Absolute bunkum. As if there are no light skinned Yorubas! There's more to this story.

Hehe! It is very hard to see a light skined yoruba,even in this modern era when the whole nigeria is taping into the igbo DNA by rushing to marry our fair skined beautiful ladies. I once went to ogbomosho,i thought i was in ghana,apart from the few bleached ones,they were all very dark skin, and this was in 2006, i can only imagine how they would have looked like in 1960's when the igbo gene theft haven't been that evident.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by ACM10: 7:25pm On Nov 26, 2012
Katsumoto: "Sticks and stones may break my bones (except when wielded by frustrated folks) But names will never hurt me"

You frustrated folks may continue with the ad hominem attacks and I am just going to keep hitting you with facts. grin grin grin
This revisionist keeps roaming NL with his lies. Most of his lies had been tackled. Yet he keeps repeating them.
Katsumoto, did Ojukwu single out some aid agency to charge your so-called "landing fees?" Why didn't Red Cross, Caritas, Medecin sans frontiers, etc level the same allegation? Were they exempted? I'm just so busy right now that I have to restrict my online activity. You like to have the last word and you also play to the gallery.

Achebe is now Biafran minister of propaganda and British press have suddenly turned to objective information source? You are simply desperate.
The way you aee going, I will not be surprised if an artery bursts in your brain someday. But you will never ever gonna win us over.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by coogar: 7:25pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza:

you speak absent wisdom!
ojukwu wanted to use the propaganda of the kwashiorkor kids to draw sympathy from the international community but it backfired! he allowed the starvation to happen and when he was offered a way out, he turned it down and was demanding for food to be ferried by air under the cover of darkness! why in the night and not in the broad day light?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza:
Hehe! It is very hard to see a light skined yoruba,even in this modern era when the whole nigeria is taping into the igbo DNA by rushing to marry our fair skined beautiful ladies. I once went to ogbomosho,i thought i was in ghana,apart from the few bleached ones,they were all very dark skin, and this was in 2006, i can only imagine how they would have looked like in 1960's when the igbo gene theft haven't been that evident.

So, it's about light skinned vs dark skinned now, no??

I bet if you knew why there are many light-skinned Igbos, you'll cry for their ancestors...

The Egbas just like Igbos have a high population of light-skinned folks(I know this because my grandma is an Egba woman and she looks mixed race) - and go read about why they're light-skinned smh..
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
Celebrating having light-skinned people that are products of rape during colonial times is absurd!!!

Grow a brain!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by tomakint: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
Crayola1:

The meds have worn off what a shame sad
I thought as much grin grin believe me I have missed his 'restless and wandering spirit' a born-clown but could be very annoying cheesy
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Katsumoto: 7:39pm On Nov 26, 2012
Biafran Dictionary

Revisionist - The individual who provides sources (links, articles, and books) to support his position

Expert - Biafran whose position is based on 'I heard at the market square', 'my uncle/father/aunt/mother told me that in 19.."

Lie - Anything written that does not fit with Biafran propaganda. For instance, Ntieyong Akpan (secretary to Biafran Government) wrote lots of 'lies' in his book (struggle for secession) because he stated that Biafra received payments from relief agencies and that Biafra dealt with those who didn't want Biafra

Truth - Anything said by Ojukwu and Achebe

Starvation - The result of my enemy not allowing me to smuggle in arms with aid so that starving children could eat even though I have no food to give them

War and Battles - Wrestling contest between the 5 strongest warriors from the North and the East; the west must stay neutral or join me even when I throw stones at them

Secession - The bid to leave the union which must involve the western region whether they like it or not

Nationalism - Killing non-Igbos while Igbos were cruising in the Caribbean and forgeting your GPS so that you don't know the way to Ironsi, Nwafor Orizu, Osadebey, Okpara's houses

Heroism - Killing soldiers with their pregnant wives as they slept in the middle of the night

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2012
shymexx: Achebe:

- Awolowo tricked Igbos into oing to war with Nigeria...
- Awolowo never did nothing to avert the war[b](bear in mind that the man in prison during the couple and counter coup)[/b].
- Awolowo and his Yoruba people were trying to displace the "superior" Igbos who dominated everything...
- Nnamdi Azikwe was the only pan-Africanist among his peers[b](that's laughable because Azikwe was the most tribalistic and corrupt)[/b].

Chimanda:
- The Igbo adults "say" and "said" Awolowo was "this" and "that."
- Igbos are marginalised[b](despite being the highest number of number citizens in Nigeria since independence)[/b].
- Awolowo betrayed Igbos(however, Igbos love Awolowo so much that they colluded with NPC to lock him up in prison).
- Yorubas never showed Igbos empathy about their loss(es) during the civil war(no abandoned property saga in the SW and welcomed you back to their midst, what else do you want?)

Personally, I think Igbos are "in love" with Yoruba people, however, Yoruba people don't really give two fvcks about them and their plight..Perhaps, that's why they can't get over the victim mentality and the blame game... However, you can't blame the Yorubas because they don't really like the mentality and temparent of Igbos - they probably think Igbos are too brash, aggressive, and arrogant - to form any kind of bond with, but they can tolerate Igbos just as they tolerate everyone else... Yoruba people are deep thinkers and peace loving people - and you need similar characteristics to form a special bond with them..

For christ sake! How many times do i have to drum this into mgbati people's ear?

Awolowo was an ambitious,lazy,treacherous and power hungry yoruba man,who tried to usurp balewa's govt,he was busted and rounded up like a criminal he was,the civil war saved his sorry ass,as he was released from the prison,and his sins pardoned.

But the mgbati spirit in him never left him,he still craved for power,he was promised power by the british,but when he felt he had been shortchanged,he repeated his act of treason again,by trying to usurp IBB,but this time around,he couldn't face the shame of admitting to the world that he committed treason like he did in the past.

So,he drank otapiapia,and died without honour,like all men before him who trodded the path of treachery,dishonesty and wickedness.

THE END.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza:
For christ sake! How many times do i have to drum this into mgbati people's ear?

Awolowo was an ambitious,lazy,treacherous and power hungry yoruba man,who tried to usurp balewa's govt,he was busted and rounded up like a criminal he was,the civil war saved his sorry ass,as he was released from the prison,and his sins pardoned.

But the mgbati spirit in him never left him,he still craved for power,he was promised power the british,but when he felt he had been shortchanged,he repeated his act of treason again,by trying to usurp IBB,but this time around,he couldn't face the shame of admitting to the world that he committed treason like he did in the past.

So,he drank otapiapia,and died without honour,like all men before him who trodded the path of treachery,dishonesty and wickedness.

THE END.

Cheers - that's why he'll forever be celebrated.... wink

Making the cover of the Time Magazine isn't a joke... grin
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 26, 2012
Igbos remind me of that chic that's in love with you but you don't really care much about... grin

Igbos are in love with Yorubas! cool

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 7:53pm On Nov 26, 2012
shymexx:

Cheers - that's why he'll forever be celebrated.... wink

Making the cover of the Time Magazine isn't a joke... grin

Well, that is a fair compensation for his service to the western powers,but i am sure that the power hungry 'sage' would have prefered the power he craved for and that they promised him.

Oh dear! Atall atall na im be winsh. Hehe!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by coogar: 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
Katsumoto: Biafran Dictionary

Revisionist - The individual who provides sources (links, articles, and books) to support his position

Expert - Biafran whose position is based on 'I heard at the market square', 'my uncle/father/aunt/mother told me that in 19.."

Lie - Anything written that does not fit with Biafran propaganda. For instance, Ntieyong Akpan (secretary to Biafran Government) wrote lots of 'lies' in his book (struggle for secession) because he stated that Biafra received payments from relief agencies and that Biafra dealt with those who didn't want Biafra

Starvation - The result of my enemy not allowing me to smuggle in arms with aid so that starving children could eat even though I have no food to give them

War and Battles - Wrestling contest between the 5 strongest warriors from the North and the East; the west must stay neutral or join me even when I throw stomes at them

Secession - The bid to leave the union which must involve the western region whether they like it or not

Nationalism - Killing non-Igbos while Igbos were cruising in the Caribbean and forgeting your GPS so that you don't know the way to Ironsi, Nwafor Orizu, Osadebey, Okpara's houses

Heroism - Killing soldiers with their pregnant wives as they slept in the middle of the night

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza:

Well, that is a fair compensation for his service to the western powers,but i am sure that the power hungry 'sage' would have prefered the power he craved for and that they promised him.

Oh dear! Atall atall na im be winsh. Hehe!

Grab a copy - cheers!

[img]http://imgv2-1.scribdassets.com/img/word_document/95025749/255x300/ffde505417/1348216425[/img]
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^^^^He parted the Nigerian red sea with his brain.... grin
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 8:03pm On Nov 26, 2012
shymexx: ^^^^^He parted the Nigerian red sea with his brain.... grin

Yea,just like he parted his spirit from his body with the aid of otapiapia aka rat poison. This 'sage' must have been a reincarnation of the hebrew moses. Hehe!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2012
coogar:

you speak absent wisdom!
ojukwu wanted to use the propaganda of the kwashiorkor kids to draw sympathy from the international community but it backfired! he allowed the starvation to happen and when he was offered a way out, he turned it down and was demanding for food to be ferried by air under the cover of darkness! why in the night and not in the broad day light?

Still in the business of british and nigerian propaganda spread,aren't we? Keep it up,nobody is deceived.
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 26, 2012
pazienza:

Yea,just like he parted his spirit from his body with the aid of otapiapia aka rat poison. This 'sage' must have been a reincarnation of the hebrew moses. Hehe!

At least he raised the bar high and he's still the most talked about among his peers... Unlike the utterly corrupt and tribalistic Zik who went from being a pseudo-pan-Africanist, to a political prostitute and an election rigger...

He was a man of principle and he stood out among his peers - he's my Nigerian hero!
Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pazienza(m): 8:17pm On Nov 26, 2012
shymexx:

So, it's about light skinned vs dark skinned now, no??

I bet if you knew why there are many light-skinned Igbos, you'll cry for their ancestors...

The Egbas just like Igbos have a high population of light-skinned folks(I know this because my grandma is an Egba woman and she looks mixed race) - and go read about why they're light-skinned smh..

Nothing special about being light skined,i was just pointing out why they assumed she was igbo.

I don't know about egba people,but names like nwokocha,okorocha/okocha have been in existence in igboland before the first european set foot here.

Ukuwani people were one of the first group of igbos to come in contact with europeans, the europeans clearly noted that a large percentage of the people found in eboe town(abor),were 'yellow' skined. Go to ukwuani thread in the cultural section here to read more on that.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by buchio7(m): 8:25pm On Nov 26, 2012
did i expect anything different frm wat is playing out in this thread Emphatically.... No...!!!!
80% of d commentators havnt read achebes book in question.....

anoda 80% where yet to be born during d war....

a staggering 90% of dese posters dont even knw d meaning of d geneva convention...
So wat exactly is d essence of dis hot air all of u r blowing left n right?

The truth never dies....it haunts and haunts d guilty to dere demise

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe At 82: 'We Remember Differently' - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by dayokanu(m): 8:27pm On Nov 26, 2012
Katsumoto: Biafran Dictionary

War and Battles - Wrestling contest between the 5 strongest warriors from the North and the East; the west must stay neutral or join me even when I throw stones at them

Coward: Anyone who whoops your arse in war sad

Hero- Anyone who fled warfront leaving children and women to die. cheesy

Innocent civilians - A term Reserved specifically for Biafrans lipsrsealed

Corrupt Politicians - A term used to describe any politician outside of Igbo land

Nationalists- Sons of Igbo ancestry who kill other regional leaders sparing theirs cry

Genocide - Killing of Biafrans undecided

Revolution/ Liberation - Killing of non Biafrans wink

Hardworking businessmen: Drug mules to malaysia, Ritual killers, fake drug manufacturers, Kidnappers from the South East shocked

"Owning 90% of a City/State" : 12 boys squatting in a face me I face you in FESTAC, Mazamaza or Mile 2 grin

Jews : Biafrans cool

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Noticeably Absent In Town Taken From Boko Haram-new York Times / Saraki, Oyinlola, Obasanjo, Others In Closed-Door Meeting / "Muhammadu Buhari Toying With Jonathan’s Gentility" – Ijaw Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.