Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,521 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students (32587 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? / New Varsity, Federal University, Lokoja, Admits 200 Students, Takes Off In Janua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by ABUGEORGE(m): 8:26am On Dec 05, 2012
O.M.E:
Funny story...upon their normal room check routine and security...students still dey weed for the school...you can drag a horse to a river but you can't force it to drink water...
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Gee001: 8:27am On Dec 05, 2012
Chai! Dis news don pepper me 4 my body. WTF! Dis was exactly y my elder sis never wanted me to join her in her own private uni. wen she was stil an undergraduate cos i'd be expelled dat same week i'd come in. Wot is this na? Imagine.
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by zinosleek(m): 8:27am On Dec 05, 2012
I think this is a wrong approach to discipline, they ll only end up producing graduate that can't function in today's world. University is a place where u learn not only book but its a step to prepare u for d outside world where u are to make decision by yourself there discovering who you are. University is a open minded environment, I seriously condemn the disciplinary approach of this school, they

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by blessed4ril(f): 8:28am On Dec 05, 2012
Y enrol in the uni wen u no u can't abide by their rules and regulations!

9 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by SELFWORTH: 8:30am On Dec 05, 2012
Umhh. The students were obviously there for the wrong reasons. It's good they are going back to the world. You cannot serve God and man at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Exponental(m): 8:31am On Dec 05, 2012
Advance boarding school.
The weed stuff is actually true. An ex student of dat institution, confirmed that 2yrs ago.
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Latisha1: 8:32am On Dec 05, 2012
Lolssss....snr boardin school,evn wen i was in boardin i was nt treated like ds...sowi 4 doze students dia,they wl continue to treat them like kids....lolssss8-)
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by asemota2012: 8:32am On Dec 05, 2012
You called it a small offence rigth,from smoking weeds they will graduate into robbery gradually, they deserved the punishment(expulsion)
Cherish100: Why would he say a curse of the Lord shall come upon any student whose voice is heard? Who gave him the authority to curse? I feel for the students who were expelled because after paying millions of school fees each session, that money is now wasted. It's a pity they were expelled for such little offence as not going to church, it's not like they destroyed school property or worse. No one should be forced to go to church, it should be by freewil. It's better for them to stay in their hostel than go to church and disturb. This man is so authoritative and inconsiderate. I hate this!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by solomonkane(m): 8:33am On Dec 05, 2012
Absolute balderdash. So because they were "loitering" around the chapel, they were expelled. I don't blame the tin-pot dictator, blame the parents who send their kids to a university to learn the highly over rated "morals" which they have failed to teach their kids. Been to Covenant a number of times and Oyedepo could certainly have taught the old KGB & GRU a thing or two about indoctrination, totalitarian authority & creating the ultimate Big Brother image.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by debsjoat(m): 8:35am On Dec 05, 2012
50calibre: This thing sounds more like a secondary school, the restrictions are just too much but then again students who chose to attend the university knew fully well about the high standards and strict discipline the university prides itself on so it was their responsibilty to abide by them.

Good point!!!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Kaxmytex(m): 8:37am On Dec 05, 2012
shey dis skul na university or a modified secondary skul?...cuz i can't imagine why student are being expelled bcuz say dem no go chapel.....mtcheeeeew

*lights up weed nd start smoking*
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by zinosleek(m): 8:37am On Dec 05, 2012
This is the problem I have with most MOG, they are so authoritarian forgetting they are humans like us, if Jesus can sit and dine with sinners and even forgive those that offends Him, then who are you to condemn and place curse on people for expressing their free will. Well I blame the people for allowing someone to trample on them like that. These people that call themselves pastor are just like our political leaders feeling like they are kings and above the law.

8 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by GB102(m): 8:39am On Dec 05, 2012
I pity dis students. dis is primary school. lol, sorry 4 does in final yr
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by SELFWORTH: 8:42am On Dec 05, 2012
zinosleek: This is the problem I have with most MOG, they are so authoritarian forgetting they are humans like us, if Jesus can sit and dine with sinners and even forgive those that offends Him, then who are you to condemn and place curse on people for expressing their free will. Well I blame the people for allowing someone to trample on them like that. These people that call themselves pastor are just like our political leaders feeling like they are kings and above the law.

Please be careful not to quote the bible out of context to support evil. They broke the rules of the school and deserved the punishment. God did not condone evil . He was merciful towards sinners. These are two different things. God Himself regretted creating human beings becos of their evil ways in Genesis.

There is no justification for evil. You live by the gun, then expect to die by the gun.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by methodman(m): 8:43am On Dec 05, 2012
lol...nothing new. I remembered when my cousin was suspended for a year just because he mistakenly signed for someone who wasnt in skol at the time of roll call. Come see as we beg Oyedepo oooo the man talk say hin one year na one year. Come see as my cousins father deh vex for Oyedepo. He actually wanted to withdraw the poor boi from the skol but my cousin was already in 300level. I pitied him sha because it really affected hin psychologically. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Rossonero: 8:44am On Dec 05, 2012
[quote author=nneh1]Why won't they smoke weed when the responsible ones don't get admission. [/na tru talk be dat wink wink wink]

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Mavor: 8:46am On Dec 05, 2012
This is a fu<king joke right? I pity anyone stupid enough to go into these "advanced secondary schools". If your parents are forcing you, then take the entrance exam and "deliberately" fail it. This Oyedepo is a joke. And I heard he has anger management issues. Imagine a school where the average man in his church can't attend cos of the high fees, meanwhile that poor man's tithes and offerings is used to build it and buy private jet for the clown. A lot of protestants Christians are easily "mumu-ed" by false prophets, like sheep with bad shepherds.

7 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by alaoeri: 8:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Anger of the lord from a MOG lipsrsealed & all of them mute, my ppl are been brainwash is like ppl now fear GOs than God.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by HARDDON: 8:51am On Dec 05, 2012
Speechless.....
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by SELFWORTH: 8:54am On Dec 05, 2012
Classicalman: I'm telling you. I can never take my child to that glorified secondary school. Why would you deny an undergraduate in his or her twenties the use of a mobile phone? Haba!!!!!!

It's not about the banning of mobile phones itself but about adhering to discipline.

Many employers ban mobile phones whilst on duty to avoid misuse.

Obviously , many people miss the point of the ban. Discipline does not kill anyone.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by abes(m): 8:57am On Dec 05, 2012
donachief:
The chancellor entered the chapel premises unannounced and as some students discovered who it was,They took their heels,Many students started running into the chapel scrambling for seats and any free space they could, some boys who did not have ties on,started looking for ways to acquire some,even a group of boys numbering up to five allegedly took a girl's scarf and ripped it to shreds using the parts to produce makeshift ties all not to get into trouble.

I hope its just only the girl's scarf and not her skirt grin grin grin
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Rosebela(f): 8:57am On Dec 05, 2012
Even in secondary school people use phone talkless of an institution thunder fire that kind thing
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by nonesense: 8:57am On Dec 05, 2012
nneh1: Why won't they smoke weed when the responsible ones don't get admission.
Did smoking weeds makes one irresponsible?
Remember that weeds/herbs heals the world.
We are working hard on it to be legalize
**light my weed** *puff* cry cry undecided

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Osheshe(f): 8:59am On Dec 05, 2012
This issue of expulsion has been on since the inception of the school.

The affected students were not expelled because they were 'loitering' or they refused to attend chapel.

It is the norm for the university to hold a 'departure' service/meeting before students go home for holidays, during which prayers are made and words of advice given.

Some students see it as 'fashionable' to 'stab' these university meetings. As an alumunus of the university, I caught on quite early that it is better to be safe than sorry.

The Chancellor has tendencies to show up at these meetings, and take instant albeit rash decisions. Why sacrifice your future for mere 2 hours of gisting/smoking weed/watching movies?

Anyone who gets enrolled in this University knows what they signed up for. Call it a glorified secondary school or whatever you may, fact remains that I imbibed some positive values during my days there, and left the negative for the school management.

There are a lot of things I never agreed with, and still do not agree with but that is a topic for another day...

On a lighter note, those expelled should see it as a two years hiatus. It has come to my notice that the University has a knack for recalling expelled students after a 2 years period.

Make una enjoy the holiday.

5 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by doctokwus: 8:59am On Dec 05, 2012
I can imagine what some of d students were silently saying wen Oyedepo invoked d wrath of God on dem 'noisemakers':"abeg dis guy shd chill jor,we are no longer kids,afterall if not for d fees our parents are paying,u wudnt b buying these aeroplanes".Does he tink his high handed approach wi make d students uprightly standing,deeply religious members of d society?He beta tink again
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by bafy(f): 9:00am On Dec 05, 2012
''if i hear the voice of any student, the curse of the lord shall fall upon that one''. the chapel went dead silent.

Is this man for real #SMH so bad it has fallen off my neck#

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 05, 2012
O.M.E:
Funny story...upon their normal room check routine and security...students still dey weed for the school...you can drag a horse to a river but you can't force it to drink water...
I'm telling you. His approach to running the school has indeed reduced criminal offences and general bad behaviour. But there are still very hardened people in that school who don't care about anything, if you like expell them. For such people expulsion is not the way to handle them because they would go out and still do what they do. This is a christian school and the, mannagement should know hoe to deal with student appropriately. Like the forcing of students to attend chapel services isn't right, though they will say parents were told the rules before bringing their ward to the school. How about those students who didn't want to go to the school but whose parents forced them. They should minimize their expulsion/suspension rate. After paying close to a million, then they will now expell someone angry. I dislike the school and will not ever make the same mistake my parents made of sending my children there when the time comesangry.
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by Maxymilliano(m): 9:03am On Dec 05, 2012
This is a serious indictment on Oyedepo and the school authority. What happened to the much touted strict rules and discipline that was suppose to guide the students behavior and morals?

Many funny happenings goes on in the school on daily basis but which is being shrouded in secrecy. Met some couples of CU students at the penultimate Felabration event when the school was supposed to be in session and was quite taken aback at the way they were smoking skunk with reckless abandoned. Another chap I knew was a chronic drug mule who travels every fortnight even during school sessions.

Many atrocities like this are common trend but which the school authority preferred to keep silent over, instead, they look for guys with any trace of beard and label them as cultist.
Re: Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students by 2chains1(m): 9:06am On Dec 05, 2012
Eyah how sad. But they Knew the rules of the school before they entered nah! If u wan blaow then you for go another place wey no strict reach this one. And my friend told me their school fees is just under 500k for non-engineering courses. Maybe that's what lured them into the school. (the fact that it's a cheap private uni)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe / Biochemistry Course Rep Apologizes To Ex-Coursemates For Misusing Money (photo) / Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.