Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

The Truth About Living Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Truth About Living Abroad (67186 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by 1forall: 10:50pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

Nahh not atall. lets see, what exactly are you trying to achieve by ...showing all this tho?

1. its a fact I live in a way bigger and better house than you do (not bragging)

2. I may be just 19 but I'm worth more than you ever will have in the US at the moment( again...not bragging)

3. Your either renting your house/apt or you're leasing it, so clearly its not yours yet and the day you don't pay, I guess you are out

4. you are probably a dropout who couldn't make it Nigeria so you had to hustle and buy a one way ticket to the US.

5. you either work at a restaurant, supermarket, or you are a nursing assistant...or you don't even have a job yea?

lets just end it there for now.

Ehn really? You be 19 na im you scatter mouth like dis so? You don see im house before abi im bank acct?
What have you worked for in your life?

Calotti abeg come help us reply this boy oooh

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
playah P:

Shut up nigga!!! Why don't you come back home since its pointless staying there?... I have an aunt like you; she's always complaing about debt and suffering but she doesn't wanna come back!! Going there without a plan is really dangerous and stupid but if you seek the better life; a life where water, good road and electricity, security and justice isn't for the "big men" alone, then go to the developed world!!....
Even if you work hard in Nigeria, how many pple can boast of being middle class citizens??... Can u honestly say that life isn't preferable overthere than here?
Please come back home oh ye middle class citizen! Come and become a billionaire in your father's land!! I promise to give you a place you can squat..... Hediot!

you must be really broke....
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 10:53pm On Dec 14, 2012
1forall:

Ehn really? You be 19 na im you scatter mouth like dis so? Calotti abeg come help us reply this bwoy oooh

Dont bother yourself, if they are Ö.K with what their government is offering to them, so be it.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
This topic again? SMFDH...

Nigeria is a scary place, to be honest... However, everywhere has its upsides and downsides - and home is where the heart is...

It will be difficult for people who have lived outside Nigeria all their lives, or for a long time - with no family/friends in the country to move back there... Just as it'll be difficult for Nigerians with no family/friends abroad to survive in the new world...

Let's celebrate our Nigerian-ness, no matter where we call home...grin

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
What is it about year end that make people create these threads in December? Quit flogging the effing dead horse peeps.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 11:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
1forall:

Ehn really? You be 19 na im you scatter mouth like dis so? You don see im house before abi im bank acct?
What have you worked for in your life?

Calotti abeg come help us reply this boy oooh

dude/Girl...whatever.... I went to good schools, i was given a good primary and secondary education...( pampers, etc ....)and so do most people I associate with, i'd like to believe that not everyone on this forum is some illiterate (Nigeria/diaspora) who blame the government for their misfortunes and don't go out there to make something of themselves but would rather go to a cyber cafe and condemn the country from dawn till dusk....

Secondly, I don't need to see his bank account for any reason...i know the kind of people I associate with and I can tell that he/she is definitely not my class but I don't class discriminate except when the personality of the person is extremely disgusting and I must say the inferiority complex of this guy is utterly disgusting. Yes, i have actually worked. I did my internship in Nigeria over the summer at my uncle's engineering firm (he's a civil engineer and an architect). cheesy
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by emandman: 11:05pm On Dec 14, 2012
dat house dosent depict poor person in nigeria standard
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tunby(m): 11:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

Actually the best schools are in the US, I don't deny the facts. The thing is why settle for bronze if you can afford gold...my parents can afford to send me and my brother to school abroad so we can have a broader perspective on things (academics/morals etc) and with my grade *sigh* a pretty decent job in Nigeria is waiting in 2014 cheesy
Omo Butter.You never see real poverty thats why you dey talk.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by kabarancy(f): 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
this gentle man who brought this topic of discussion about europe and america is very true.he is 100% correct.nigerians should stop dreaming of coming to europe to seek for greener pasture.the era of that is long gone.to be honest with,life is better off back home than here in europe and america.is extremely difficult for people even those with so called PAPERS to secure a menial job like cleaning for just 2 hours in a day.i really pitty africans that are risking their lives in the north african sahara desperately struggling to cross over to europe.what is here in europe and americai bet u nothing,nothing,nothing and nothing other than to come study and go back to africa.the level of suffering or difficulties has reached an alarming rate easpicially among black british and africans.people are really suffering in silence.u wont believe it untill you come.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cuteonyii(m): 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
Op your post is very very misleading. I do not know which part of the state you guys have been visiting. can you be honest to us and tell us how old u are, how did u get to the usa, status, how long u been there, ur education qualification and what you are doing for a living? lets see where the problem is comming from. I have been in state for 4 yrs now and i am most grateful to baba God for my life today..

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 11:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
Tunby: Omo Butter.You never see real poverty thats why you dey talk.

not everyone has to go through poverty to know whats going on in the world. They say "its not your fault if you are born poor, but its most definitely your fault if you die poor"
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by TRUTHTELA: 11:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
You'll judge a society by how it treats its ANIMALS, DISABLED, CHILDREN & ELDERLY people. In addition, check out the LEADERS of USA, & the RULERS of Nigeria, which inspires HOPE? and which is filled with ROGUES?( As a UK Judge describes Ibori, ( a PETTY THIEF) after being ruling a state for 8 years. As it stands,I'll not even advice my ENEMY to waste time in LEAVING that HELL hole ( Nigeria). If you're not from Nigeria, you'll not risk going there. The same way you'll not risk going to Pakistan,Somalia,Afghan, Borno & other Northern Nigeria states.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tunby(m): 11:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

not everyone has to go through poverty to know whats going on in the world. They say "its not your fault if you are born poor, but its most definitely your fault if you die poor"
true.But success would be faster and easier in certain environments than the other,with thesame effort.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tunby(m): 11:23pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

true.But success would be faster and easier in certain environments than the other,with thesame magnitude of effort.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tunby(m): 11:27pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

true.But success would be faster and easier in certain environments than the other,with thesame magnitude of effort.Your going to study abroad is a pretty good example or can you compare corona to an Eleja1 community primary school where the teacher teaches subjects in Yoruba.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by dayokanu(m): 11:28pm On Dec 14, 2012

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by TRUTHTELA: 11:28pm On Dec 14, 2012
What do u expect from a country where someone ( Obasanjo), that his BEST, (Nzeogwu),friend describes as a DUMMY ended up being the president twice and because his UNINTELLIGENT & SLOW, hence, he refuse to get him involve in the 1966 coup. However, Nzeogwu, was the FIRST military INTELLIGENCE officer Nigeria had. Do the math, failure begets failure.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:28pm On Dec 14, 2012
I hear so much ills mentioned about Nigeria and I sometimes am surprised if its the same Nigeria that people are making multimillion investments and driving the best of cars in more expensive real estates alleys in the world. I never loved to live abroad, never will. I only travel for sight seeing and to buy stuff. This mindset kept me grounded since I was a teenager. I wanna repeat my favorite line; I love Owerri more than New York, I love VI more than London and thats the truth.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Ishilove: 11:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

dude/Girl...whatever.... I went to good schools, i was given a good primary and secondary education...( pampers, corona....)and so do most people I associate with, i'd like to believe that not everyone on this forum is some illiterate (Nigeria/diaspora) who blame the government for their misfortunes and don't go out there to make something of themselves but would rather go to a cyber cafe and condemn the country from dawn till dusk....

Secondly, I don't need to see his bank account for any reason...i know the kind of people I associate with and I can tell that he/she is definitely not my class but I don't class discriminate except when the personality of the person is extremely disgusting and I must say the inferiority complex of this guy is utterly disgusting. Yes, i have actually worked. I did my internship in Nigeria over the summer at my uncle's engineering firm (he's a civil engineer and an architect). cheesy
Such snobbishness...undecided

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 11:30pm On Dec 14, 2012
Billyonaire: I hear so much ills mentioned about Nigeria and I sometimes am surprised if its the same Nigeria that people are making multimillion investments and driving the best of cars in more expensive real estates alleys in the world. I never loved to live abroad, never will. I only travel for sight seeing and to buy stuff. This mindset kept me grounded since I was a teenager. I wanna repeat my favorite line; I love Owerri more than New York, I love VI more than London and thats the truth.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Jongrac: 11:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
The OP is obviously far from the truth....Nigeria is OK and so is US depending on the opportunity available to an individual at a time, T which differs from person to person. I would advise you stop pushing false claims as if everything is bad out there, pls try give some credit to Nigerians in Diaspora that have not only made it but done us proud.
Most Nigerians don't intend to spent all their years in foreign land, just that @ some point in one's life and career especially for wanna be high fliers and those that aspire for leadership positions, there exist that natural flare for international exposure and affiliations (Education, Seminars, Exhibitions e.t.c) which greatly enhances success upon return to home country.
I will give an example; I would be resigning my Job as a Retail Banking Executive to pursue an MS degree in a STEM discipline in the US. Got Full Scholarship and awarded Research Assistantship with a monthly pay higher than my current monthly pay as a staff of one of the big 3 banks, suffice to also mention that with good grades upon completion, am guaranteed full funding for my PhD.
But let me add quickly, it takes lots and lots of hard work, prayers, discipline and focus to achieve the above, we all know how hard it is to get an admit to a US University let alone Scholarship and the US Visa.
Clearly, there is always a future for anybody that is hardworking irrespective of one's location.....I ain't doing badly at all here in Nigeria, and by His Grace, would do exceedingly great in the US.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 11:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
Billyonaire: I hear so much ills mentioned about Nigeria and I sometimes am surprised if its the same Nigeria that people are making multimillion investments and driving the best of cars in more expensive real estates alleys in the world. loved to
The same Nigeria is where people are living on less that 5 dollars a day, and these people who are making multimillion investments and driving the best of cars in more expensive real estates alleys in the world are doing that at the expense of the less privileged ones.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 11:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
Tunby: true.But success would be faster and easier in certain environments than the other,with thesame magnitude of effort.Your going to study abroad is a pretty good example or can you compare corona to an Eleja1 community primary school where the teacher teaches subjects in Yoruba.

Nahh I disagree, I might as well choose to stay back in america and all but I'm telling you frankly that if I am offered a $60,000 p/a job in the US and a $50,000 p/s job in Nigeria....I will most definitely go for the job in Nigeria.

Its also the same way you can't compare st charles prep sch to an inner city detriot highschool or compare havard or yale to some community college.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 11:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
Freiburger:
The same Nigeria is where people are living on less that 5 dollars a day, and these people who are making multimillion investments and driving the best of cars in more expensive real estates alleys in the world are doing that in the expense of the less privileged ones.

Its also in the same us that 50% of the population live on food stamps and another 15-25% are working class people doing menial jobs and mind you if food stamps were taken away by the government, then a whole lot of americans would live on less than that 5 dollars a day.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 11:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

Its also in the same us that 50% of the population live on food stamps and another 15-25% are working class people doing menial jobs and mind you if food stamps were taken away by the government, then a whole lot of american would live on less than that 5 dollars a day.
O.k, let Nigeria provide a food stamp programme for her citizens. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by manny4life(m): 11:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

how many of those people bought those homes completely and are not mortgaging them for 30-50 years....please!

My friend, STOP being naive... They don't own the home completely, but they have equity in the home, don't they?

30 to 50 years? Are you frigging kidding me? My friend, an average standard mortgage loans is 15year, not that it's uncommon, but most mortgage loans are not very known to be in their 30 year terms.

How many of your Nigerians compared to it's average standard has a complete paid off loan, whether financed through mortgage loans or traditional construction loans or commercial instruments?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 14, 2012

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Roland17(m): 12:00am On Dec 15, 2012
Honestly i have been tempted to avoid this topic, but i guess am loosing..

If you were born and grew up in a struggle for everything including the air u breath in Nigeria, you watched your parents hustle day and night under the scorching heat of the sun and were drenched at numerous times under the rain, you get admitted to a Nigerian university to pursue a 4 year course and u end up spending 5-6 years owing to strikes and different issues bedeviling the educational sector in Nigeria, you finally graduate from tertiary studies and there are no jobs for you, not cos you are incompetent like many graduates the system has unfortunately bred but because of nepotism, bad economy, inflation, corruption and unemployment and you are fortunate to relocate to the US, your mentality about Nigeria changes despite how much love you feel for your nation..

Am not talking about people who relocated when they were young and do not understand the life cycle of an average Nigerian, on this forum there are so many Nigerian Americans who fall into this category cos they were either born here or relocated when they were 6-12, they easily cast aspersions on Nigerians who are making attempts to come over, for some, they forget at some point their father had to marry an American/ Green card holder to guarantee them the oppourtunity for a better life compared to the average young kid born in Nigeria, they easily remind you how fortunate they are to be Americans, forgetting the journey of their parents .

Life in Nigeria is not for the Fainthearted, its not for the weak, I AM A TESTIMONY TO THAT, thus when you relocate to a country where the government accepts responsibility for its citizens and residents, then you begin to have second thoughts.

The USA offers everyone an equal opportunity to success (to a very reasonable extent), IT's NOT A BED OF ROSES, BUT IT REWARDS HARDWORKERS, if you are a legal resident, you respect the law, HARDWORKING, pay your taxes, you can live a very decent life and aim higher, a decent life in US, is a Rich life in Nigeria when compared, so why should i not build a good house, buy a good car or live a happy life after working and earning a decent life in the US, why should i not pride my self in my achievements knowing how hard it was for me and my family before i relocated, so please do not blame those who legally earn a living in the US.

Education, Health, social services, Amenities, freedom and true democracy are tangibles, that shock your nerves, yes there is the fiscal cliff, the unemployment numbers has increased in the past years, yes the Housing market is down, but compared to Nigeria, these issues are things you can cope with.

Am never going to encourage anyone to relocate without a plan, or stay illegal here but if u are going to be a P/ Resident, all i can say is WORK HARD, STAY FOCUSED, CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE, THE SYSTEM WOULD REWARD YOU WITH A DECENT LIFE AND AN OPPOURTUNITY FOR A BETTER LIFE.

10 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by gbollykore: 12:02am On Dec 15, 2012
people have to understand that success is not measured by the amount of millions u have kept away in some account, i measure success by the impact or difference you make in life, discover urself and make a difference in the lives of those who come accross you
many Nigerians are making differences in their fields abroad and this is what matters
even the so called multi billioanares in Nigeria still send their children to live abroad, why? because try as much as they can, their money can not buy, comfort and peace

a 16 million naira jeep does not gaurantee free flow of traffic , my very rich uncle was shot by armed robbers, they rushed him to 2 private hospitals in lagos and he died because there was no blood in the first one, even though he was rich and highly connected
the quality of life of a security gaurd in the usa may be better than that of a billionare in lagos, and am not talking about the number of cars in the compound, am talking about prompt medical service, fire service and fair judicial system, thats how u determine good life
i love my cuntry Nigeria though, if only we can get rid of greed and change our mind set

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:05am On Dec 15, 2012

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Justbright(m): 12:06am On Dec 15, 2012
Roland17: Honestly i have been tempted to avoid this topic, but i guess am loosing..

If you were born and grew up in a struggle for everything including the air u breath in Nigeria, you watched your parents hustle day and night under the scorching heat of the sun and were drenched at numerous times under the rain, you get admitted to a Nigerian university to pursue a 4 year course and u end up spending 5-6 years owing to strikes and different issues bedeviling the educational sector in Nigeria, you finally graduate from tertiary studies and there are no jobs for you, not cos you are incompetent like many graduates the system has unfortunately bred but because of nepotism, bad economy, inflation, corruption and unemployment and you are fortunate to relocate to the US, your mentality about Nigeria changes despite how much love you feel for your nation..

Am not talking about people who relocated when they were young and do not understand the life cycle of an average Nigerian, on this forum there are so many Nigerian Americans who fall into this category cos they were either born here or relocated when they were 6-12, they easily cast aspersions on Nigerians who are making attempts to come over, for some, they forget at some point their father had to marry an American/ Green card holder to guarantee them the oppourtunity for a better life compared to the average young kid born in Nigeria, they easily remind you how fortunate they are to be Americans, forgetting the journey of their parents .

Life in Nigeria is not for the Fainthearted, its not for the weak, I AM A TESTIMONY TO THAT, thus when you relocate to a country where the government accepts responsibility for its citizens and residents, then you begin to have second thoughts.

The USA offers everyone an equal opportunity to success (to a very reasonable extent), IT's NOT A BED OF ROSES, BUT IT REWARDS HARDWORKERS, if you are a legal resident, you respect the law, HARDWORKING, pay your taxes, you can live a very decent life and aim higher, a decent life in US, is a Rich life in Nigeria when compared, so why should i not build a good house, buy a good car or live a happy life after working and earning a decent life in the US, why should i not pride my self in my achievements knowing how hard it was for me and my family before i relocated, so please do not blame those who legally earn a living in the US.

Education, Health, social services, Amenities, freedom and true democracy are tangibles, that shock your nerves, yes there is the fiscal cliff, the unemployment numbers has increased in the past years, yes the Housing market is down, but compared to Nigeria, these issues are things you can cope with.

Am never going to encourage anyone to relocate without a plan, or stay illegal here but if u are going to be a P/ Resident, all i can say is WORK HARD, STAY FOCUSED, CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE, THE SYSTEM WOULD REWARD YOU WITH A DECENT LIFE AND AN OPPOURTUNITY FOR A BETTER LIFE.

Dis guy has no brain at all....come to nigeria and see where nboyz dey suffer,phd applying as truck driver,over 50000 applicant applyin 4 1500 jobs...havin a functionin infrastructure is enof platform 4 u to excel if u are focus and hard working...abeg keep ur munmun advice to ursef and come back home and let see hw u go turn dangote in 20yrs...I bet na boko boyz go use ied scater ur empty brain..mscheeeeeeeew!

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Revolva(m): 12:06am On Dec 15, 2012
The reason is because this is the land of the middle class. Going to school and working hard is going to land you in the middle class. You will live in a modest home, drive a modest car, and be able to cloth and feed yourself wel

Bros I beg if I have such an opportunity here in nigeria then why would I curse our leaders for not laying a good foundation like the yanks - pls anytime anyday I will go to america - why you dey vex na abi na you dey give visa ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Sleeping On A Moving Truck In Abuja / Warning To Women Coming To Turkey For Prostitution(photos) / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.