Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,775 members, 7,955,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:46 PM

Touts On Edo Highways - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Touts On Edo Highways (6782 Views)

Tinubu unleashes his e-touts on nl targetting saraki / Biafra View On Edo State / Social Media Reactions To Aisha Buhari Statement On Edo Prostitutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 18, 2012
Frostyzone:
Just expressing my humble opinion, just like everyone else, dude.

well, ur humble opinion is a complete thrash... get d Bleep out of here...

1 Like

Re: Touts On Edo Highways by mfm04622: 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2012
I will never advocate maiming or killing a human being. Just know that if you stop for them, you cannot leave without paying at least 5k. I am talking from experience! No matter the number of stickers you have, they will have one you do not have!
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by GlobalVillager: 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2012
If u ride company vehicles you will know more about this thieves on our highways in the name of revenue task masters. Tho i think the edo ones are the craziest so far. Just as some have suggested, face them with a crazy speed and they will run for there dear life.

Oso Baba should be able to help out with these touts cos i can remember sometime in 2011 that Mimiko sent those of ondo state away for harrasing a family member on Akure- Ado road.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by dannietee(m): 5:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
I encountered them sometimes in June after the Dana crash that i had to travel by road.Those guys are evil,they made me pay 15k after an hour of delay and they even beat up my colleague that was in the vehicle with me.Ever since then i drive like a mad man ready to crush who ever comes my way when ever i am on that benin-ore road.

The governor will not say he is not aware of these touts.I think thats their own dividends of democracy promised them by the governor.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Aizebioje(m): 6:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
nija80: I encountered them sometimes last year on the road to Akure from Benin,along oluku road.It was the last village in edo state,I had to stop because they were stationed in a bad portion of the road,they put nail on my tyres that i need to pay #26k or so for radio licence etc.they even show me their Identification card that they were task force bla bla.that was the day i wish i were a military man with Gun to blast their head off,anyway after reasoning with them that i had all my papers and that my car may never pass that road again till i dispose the car,so why Edo radio licence.They threathened to beat up my wife b/c she was a lawyer and wafi girl wey no fear any injustice,I got annoyed and climed the barrier they put on the road like that since i had a tubless tyre,one of the tyre went flat but i stopped along the road and bought tube of 1k and proceed on my journey,at least thats cheaper than 26k.They are every were in edo state fro the flyover to Benin Warri road to Oluku Akure road.I may be wrong,but Edo seems to be the only state where this type of Babaric act in the name of revenue drive still goes on in the whole of the country.

To Edo citizen in this Forum,are this tout actually local govt. workers,if yes must visitors passing through your state be made to pay those outragious ammount on a federal govt. road in the name of revenue.Somebody somewhere should please help since these boys are a menace in Edo state
They are just touts(though there's hardly any diff btw them and those in govt) but like those before me has advised,RUN THEM OVER
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by ogtavia(m): 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
standardchuks: I don't blane them. since there is no job, anything you can do to make money in Nigeria, my dear do it. After all our leaders are doing theirs.
Are one of them?why are u trying to justify their actions?are they the only jobless ones?....i bet if u had encountered them u won't be saying all these...although i dnt blame u or them....i blame the lawlessness in the Land...
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by hakunamatata1: 6:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
jude33084:

Are you guys joking or Wђɑ̤̥̈̊†? Paying for emmission aŋԂ radio sound polution? cheesy. I am in benin aŋԂ Lagos Benin is my route. I drive that road like 3times a month aŋԂ I have never encounter them. I think τhis is another thread to bash the Ǧ☺☺ϑ people aŋԂ peace loving people of Edo state wink
u wont encounter them as u dont need to take the by-pass if u are benin bound from lag. but u would if u were hreaded for p/h, Auchi, via the by-pass. they usually hide @ the interchange where u hav to slow down & negotiate the bend. pity no govt enforcement agency can do anything abt it till now!
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by toluene12: 6:38pm On Dec 18, 2012
I encountered them once, along akure-benin road and i parted with #8000.00. Initially I thought they were genuine govt workers(they showed me i.d cards and even issued a receipt for the fee collected), but when I got to benin and told colleagues of my ordeal, I was told they were fake. Infact most people in benin are not really aware of this boys and their atrocious act. Someone later told me they are oshiomole boys posted there as a reward for their faithful stewardship to the excellency. There's no doubt that those boys get serious govt backing,they have been extorting motorist along that road since 2008 and yet nothing was done about it. Just like someone said no matter how many previous stickers you've bought, there will always be a new one they will show you. If you refuse to pay, they will deflate your 4 tyres and delay you till late in the evening and trust me that lonely road is not a place you will like to be once its dark.
Since then if i'm compelled to take the road, I wait till like 5pm to embark on my journey, when those boys would have left and I return on sunday(they dont work on sundays). There are also alternative routes depending on where you are going. People also talk of speeding past them or even running them over, although I never try that one. I knew someone who brought out his gun and shot into the air when they stopped him and the boys ran inside the bush.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by ZEN(m): 6:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
After marrying my brand new wife on our way to the East in OCt 2010,on negotiating a bend somewhere in edo state,I suddenly saw some group of boys flag me down and asked me to clear off the road(big mistake on my part).They introduced themselves as govt workers and asked for my radio receipt or something of that nature which cost 25k.believe you me that those touts held me for close to 2hrs.after much negotiation and pleading I parted with 4k with plenty fried meat before I was let go.Next time I promise a part of their body will part not my cash.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by hardbody: 7:06pm On Dec 18, 2012
jude33084:

Are you guys joking or Wђɑ̤̥̈̊†? Paying for emmission aŋԂ radio sound polution? cheesy. I am in benin aŋԂ Lagos Benin is my route. I drive that road like 3times a month aŋԂ I have never encounter them. I think τhis is another thread to bash the Ǧ☺☺ϑ people aŋԂ peace loving people of Edo state wink

There is nothing about bashing anybody. I do the Lagos - East (Onitsha) road at least thrice a year, and i am headed there again on the 24th of this month. The first time they accosted me, i did not know who they were, i slowed down and stopped and since i was driving my official car, i showed them all those local government permits, we argued for a long while, eventually they let me go when someother guy came with a UBA car and had not even a single paper. The next time, they used a lorry ahead of me to stop me. What they did was to ensure the lorry slowed down in the middle ofthe road and then they used stones, spiked wood etc to block my tires. I spent close to an hour and they took N2k from me. That had been the last. These days, when i get there, i deliberately go after them (with real intent to kill) and they will usually scamper for safety. I have sworn to my God that i will hopefully knock them down someday as a lesson for the rest of them. I days to come, i also plan to empty catridges on them as soon as i procure my license for firearms. THose guys are just a menace and to think that immediately after their hide out, you get to a police stop. Last December, they hired a payloader and pretended to be fixing the road thereby narrowing down the road and traffic so that they can jump on vehicles slowing down. What i have now resorted to, in addition to my desire to kill, is to use a vehicle that they never could imagine is an official status car (Hyundai, Montero, etc). They are always suckers for Corrollas, and the like.
It is rather sad that the governor of that state has turned blind eyes to that daylight robbery. Edo people sef na wa.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by danielng: 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2012
Experienced them once. I have been told about them by my friends. As son as i got to that bend of Benin Bye-pass they rushed out, but as i was told that the demand for t.v and radio permit costs about 25k.....my speed on that bend will not even make a soldier stand on that way.

Lets get things straight here...who authorized them the collect this money? Is it the govt of Edo State? If all the states were to demand such levies, then from Lagos - Enugu will be 25k X 7 = 175k.

The govt should look into this.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by jude33084(m): 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2012
mfm04622: I will never advocate maiming or killing a human being. Just know that if you stop for them, you cannot leave without paying at least 5k. I am talking from experience! No matter the number of stickers you have, they will have one you do not have!

Guys! stickers are for commercial vehicles not private. I drive Lagos Benin road all the time aŋԂ the only vehicles they stop are commercial, bus or trucks not private cars. You guys should be truthful for once angry
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by ztar(m): 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2012
hahaha...some pples experience really got me laughing...though i've never experienced such but u guys really need to take it easy oh...
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by jude33084(m): 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
ZEN: After marrying my brand new wife on our way to the East in OCt 2010,on negotiating a bend somewhere in edo state,I suddenly saw some group of boys flag me down and asked me to clear off the road(big mistake on my part).They introduced themselves as govt workers and asked for my radio receipt or something of that nature which cost 25k.believe you me that those touts held me for close to 2hrs.after much negotiation and pleading I parted with 4k with plenty fried meat before I was let go.Next time I promise a part of their body will part not my cash.

Later you guys will come to nairaland to claim sharp men. Bunch of illiterates toying with your brains aŋԂ you fell. If they are robbers that is how you will fall so cheaply cheesy

You did not see the police, Navy, soldier, custom officers or raod safty on the way, you are not using trucks or pickup van yet you stopped for road side hungry men cheesy Abeggi!
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by crisycent: 8:23pm On Dec 18, 2012
I live in Benin city and it is funny that these guys are no where to be found in the city, no wonder they show theirselves on village route. My advice is that when you see them, triple your speed and break some legs. These levy don't get to the proper agency and I wonder why you have to pay for radio permit....this is laughable. The levy can't be more than 500naira if there is any levy at all.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by jude33084(m): 8:26pm On Dec 18, 2012
hakuna matata:
u wont encounter them as u dont need to take the by-pass if u are benin bound from lag. but u would if u were hreaded for p/h, Auchi, via the by-pass. they usually hide @ the interchange where u hav to slow down & negotiate the bend. pity no govt enforcement agency can do anything abt it till now!

Have you tried to make official report/complains on τhis issue to the authorities incharge?

I am waiting for the day I will encounter them aŋԂ see if dog fit eat dog angry

Next time break somebody leg aŋԂ move on tongue
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by future001: 8:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
I think Edo people need to accost these touts because it is a big shame condone such a broad day light armed robbery.

I have accosted them twice and they are really a big worry anytime I plan to travel to the East. I met them the first time in 2009 on my way home from Lagos and they beat up my colleague and extorted 13k from us. The next year I went to the Local govt council and requested for all the documents you can imagine. Yet on my way home they still extorted 5k for some paper I've never had of. These guys are road side thieves and deserve to be hanged.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by ZEN(m): 8:44pm On Dec 18, 2012
Jude33084 I absolutely agree I fell that time, but I have just one information for you and your boys,come this Saturday I will be passing that same route enroute Lagos.Please be there.Then you will confirm how dull I am

4 Likes

Re: Touts On Edo Highways by jude33084(m): 8:51pm On Dec 18, 2012
ZEN: Jude33084 I absolutely agree I fell that time, but I have just one information for you and your boys,come this Saturday I will be passing that same route enroute Lagos.Please be there.Then you will confirm how dull I am

I don't mean to call u a dull person anyway, I am sorry about that but next time don't give your hard earn money to ideots that calls themselves gov task force. I am begining to suspect No moless aŋԂ his boys or Izua. Just break their legs nxt time cheesy
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Lawalkay(m): 9:07pm On Dec 18, 2012
Jude3384. I dont believe that you stay in benin. Let me state how tha tout works here in benin. During Lucky regime it's traffic police swindlling any other state numbered vehicle by passing you into traffic and telling you that you have beat trafic. Stores owner are charged enviromental levy and income tax arbitrarily, If you don't pay, They come with padluck to lock your store untill you settle them. Registration and renewal of business premises another set of these agent will come with police. But with Oshiomole. He added this to it. Uniform touting. From Edostma,(parking permit) Wai,(okadamen lord) Gasesous Boys. Min. Of Enviroment (Gasesou permit) Basket boys ( waste basket seller). Oshio police ( market women police) . It's only local govt sticker seller that you wont see on edo road. I stay and live in Benin. If you are passing thru this festive period . Beware of ox blood coloured men . They are worst than lastma they are called edostma. They are former pdp hatchet men,I called them any govt. In power. They are with lucky yesterday working 4 Adams today and ready to work 4 anyone in 2016.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by khorhede: 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
They r regular threat in edo state; I never stopped for them and nearly killed one on more than 5 ocassions.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by YoungBrain: 11:05pm On Dec 18, 2012
I suspect this same guys are the ones who transform into armed robbers especially on the Benin bypass.
My solution is simple and has always worked for me ----

(1) ensure you have no slow moving vehicle in front of you when approaching any of the bends on the bypass
(2) Isolate one or more members of their team then aim to crush/dismember him with your car between 120 to 150km/hr

this always works. At least I have used it successfully three times
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Coolturbo(m): 8:04am On Dec 19, 2012
Thank God, at last, someone brought up this issue on nairaland. I hate those guys with passion. The best thing is not to stop for them. That's what one of them that caught me told me. "Bros u for no stop o, but as u don stop now, u must pay". Govt has to do something about this people.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Cypost: 8:37am On Dec 19, 2012
I have heard experiences of victims and have seen these guys on few occasions, but dy have never stopped me.

My strategy has always been follow any of these transporters (luxury or small buses) closely as you approach any of the spot. You will just have easy passage as the don't stop these commercial transport buses.

You have to use street credibility to survive atimes in 9ja, if u assume ur papers are ok and stop, be ready to doll out some money with abeg and time wasted.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by OMABYK: 10:16am On Dec 19, 2012
Those guys are really heartless. I dont know what Edo State govt is doing about that. Gov Adams Oshiomhole should ban these touts on our major roads. Emagine Lagos collecting such fees.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Activityj(m): 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
I beg if you them try drag them to police station because this collection of a thing seems to be unfair!haba
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Activityj(m): 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
I beg if you see them try drag them to police station because this collection of a thing seems to be unfair!haba
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
jude33084:

You will not encounter them if coming from lagos or going to lagos.but if you are going to Akure from Benin,going to auchi from warri and you want to pass the bypass,from lagos to warri and you want to pass the bypass.no one is joking or trying to put Edo down.this guys are a menace.I dont know who they work for or who sent them.i actually sent an appeal to Osio baba through facrebook,nothing was heard.i pray you dont come accross them
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
jude33084:

Guys! stickers are for commercial vehicles not private. I drive Lagos Benin road all the time aŋԂ the only vehicles they stop are commercial, bus or trucks not private cars. You guys should be truthful for once angry

mr man you are not saying the truth.twice that i have been accosted on those road,i was neither driving an official car or commercial.any fine car they see is their target.
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
[quote author=jude33084]

Have you tried to make official report/complains on τhis issue to the authorities incharge?

I am waiting for the day I will encounter them aŋԂ see if dog fit eat dog angry

Next time break somebody leg aŋԂ move on tongue [/quo

Bros,who are the authorities in charge
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
YoungBrain:

I suspect this same guys are the ones who transform into armed robbers especially on the Benin bypass.
My solution is simple and has always worked for me ----

(1) ensure you have no slow moving vehicle in front of you when approaching any of the bends on the bypass
(2) Isolate one or more members of their team then aim to crush/dismember him with your car between 120 to 150km/hr

this always works. At least I have used it successfully three times

If it was successfull how many you don kill grin grin grin
Re: Touts On Edo Highways by ikpoba1: 1:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
These mutulas arrested me as far back as 2005. Then N200 settled the matter. That is to tell you that it's not new, the govt is aware then who do you run to?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS ; Delta State REC Arrested. / Breaking !! Ijaw Declares Country Government (Pictures). / ''Enough Is Enough''- Jonathan Warns Perpetrators Of Violence - Full Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.