Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Questions For Anony About Souls - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Anony About Souls (19568 Views)

Questions For Daddy G. O, Pastor Kumuyi & Pastor Lazarus Muoka / Do Human Clones Have Souls? / What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Even more Boolshit!

Note the difference between me and Majaze. Majaze is patient and gives you the time to spread your BS. I am allergic to BS- I kill the BS from spreading like an infection.

Now for your failed analogy, the brain doesnt need the eye to negotiate the physical world, there are four other senses. It is a system.

There is no system of the spiritual world

I've had the privilege of debating Mazaje over the years... and i already know the difference between you two. Mazaje is calm, intelligent and able to advance a point of view with a level of coherence that escapes you. You on the other hand are not so much "allergic to BS" as you are largely a noise making troll.

Back to your pointless one-liners... you say the brain doesnt need the eye to negotiate the physical world... lol ok i guess without the eye your "system" is magically able to tell the difference between colors right? Or perhaps you are able to process color with your sense of smell? Dude just move over to the other threads... this discussion is far above your pay grade. thanks

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2013
davidylan:

I've had the privilege of debating Mazaje over the years... and i already know the difference between you two. Mazaje is calm, intelligent and able to advance a point of view with a level of coherence that escapes you. You on the other hand are not so much "allergic to BS" as you are largely a noise making troll.

Back to your pointless one-liners... you say the brain doesnt need the eye to negotiate the physical world... lol ok i guess without the eye your "system" is magically able to tell the difference between colors right? Or perhaps you are able to process color with your sense of smell? Dude just move over to the other threads... this discussion is far above your pay grade. thanks

lolz........I am a noise making troll grin grin grin grin

Davidylan? After all what we have been through?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

lolz........I am a noise making troll grin grin grin grin

Davidylan? After all what we have been through?
You again!
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 05, 2013
Reyginus: You again!

What is up with your signature
?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 05, 2013
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

What is up with your signature
?
The latest big thing I learnt this week. Back to thread.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 05, 2013
Reyginus: The latest big thing I learnt this week. Back to thread.

You have no shame in twisting my words? mtchew
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

You have no shame in twisting my words? mtchew
No, I didn't twist anything. Back to thread. Let's not derail.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
Reyginus: No, I didn't twist anything. Back to thread. Let's not derail.

Could you stop being on my case like a jealous housewife and remove my name from your lying signature?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Could you stop being on my case like a jealous housewife and remove my name from your lying signature?
lol. Okay.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by shinealight(m): 2:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
I hope the following will be of help for those who truly seek answers to the original question posed:
Spirit is indeed the core of man and is the living essence in Man. It had existed in the Spiritual Realm (Paradise) as a spirit-germ i.e. immature and without experience but needed to travel down into cooler regions where it could go through the necessary experiencing which would enable it attain the needed maturity before it can return home(paradise) as a fully conscious and mature spirit which can then contribute positively and tangibly to the Activity up there in Paradise. In descending to the World of Matter (which is where the Earth is) the spirit-germ had to cover itself with a number of cloaks before finally taking on the final cloak we call the physical body here on earth. When man dies, it is only the outermost cloak (the physical body) that is laid aside. The spirit, together with its other cloaks forms the "Soul" and this Soul passes over to the Ethereal sphere in order to continue its further experiencing there. If it is able to 'complete' its experiencing in the Ethereal Realm and attains the requisite maturity, it will again shed its ethereal cloak and proceed higher until it finally returns to Paradise as a pure and fully mature spirit. That is the path of development for the the spirit of Man. Most spirit-germs however are not able to make it back to Paradise as we get entangled in the superficiality of earthly pursuits of wealth, fame and ego-trip!
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 11:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
truthislight:

lol.

Dude, you are funny.

All i know the bible says is that we are "made in the image of God"
well that is correct..and i have already explained what it really means.. it is the essence and nature of God not the form.. the problem , borne of out ignorance of course is that by image you think FORM..if you believe the absolute and real form of God is a male figure then you have a long way to go.. let me re-MIND you that not long ago in humankind evolution when the males were considered not much of worth in society and the women ruled every aspect of society it was said that "we were made in the image of the Goddess"..it went from "Goddess" to "God" when the males took "control" of societal affairs and changed the "scriptures" to a male dominating God..There is a lot you do not know my fried.

if i am God and i cannot "change the colour of my hair from black to white"
again this is an ignorant statement..are babies less of a human because they cannot feed and clothe themselves?

i only know it was satan that said "Adam will be like God"
so you remember that statement but not " ye are Gods"
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 11:27pm On Jan 06, 2013
truthislight:

you have not answered my question.

Are gorillas made in the image of God?

If yes how, if no why?

Am waiting.
yes gorrilas are made in the "image of God"..have you not heard of cultures that revere and worship animals? we are all different extenions or degrees of reflections of the one creator...everythng is a reflection of God.. form is an illusion. matter is an illusion. truth always lies in the core or essence and not form.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by truthislight: 7:57am On Jan 07, 2013
greatgenius: yes gorrilas are made in the "image of God"..have you not heard of cultures that revere and worship animals? we are all different extenions or degrees of reflections of the one creator...everythng is a reflection of God.. form is an illusion. matter is an illusion. truth always lies in the core or essence and not form.

what an insult to the person of God?

Animals are now also in God's image?
Because you want prove a lie abi?

Well, you are on your own o!

Na you and gorilla be the same and the same essence.

You be gorilla. QED
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2013
So far anony has failed to show us what the elusive soul can do on its own without the brain. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 9:45am On Jan 07, 2013
mazaje: So far anony has failed to show us what the elusive soul can do on its own without the brain. . .
so far mazaje has failed to show us how physical chemical reactions create non-physical results. . . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:26am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
so far mazaje has failed to show us how physical chemical reactions create non-physical results. . . .

Your questions remain dubious. . . Thoughts are simply a reflection of physical things(Things that exist with in time and space). . .You can not think about anything that does not exist within time and space. . .The thought process is entirely a physical one. . .Just the way chemical reactions create sound which is non physical. . .Can you capture sound, paint it and present it to me as a gift?. . .You keep talking about a soul that exist as an entity on its own but you have failed to show that it exist, your assertions are baseless, I have shown you that the brain exist independently of your elusive soul and does everything. Are my thoughts my soul?. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 11:07am On Jan 07, 2013
mazaje:

Your questions remain dubious. . . Thoughts are simply a reflection of physical things(Things that exist with in time and space). . .You can not think about anything that does not exist within time and space. . .The thought process is entirely a physical one. . .Just the way chemical reactions create sound which is non physical. . .Can you capture sound, paint it and present it to me as a gift?. . .You keep talking about a soul that exist as an entity on its own but you have failed to show that it exist, your assertions are baseless, I have shown you that the brain exist independently of your elusive soul and does everything. Are my thoughts my soul?. . .
But we can hear sound, we can measure it, we can represent a sound in terms of mass and velocity because a sound is basically a wave and if one is given the precise measures such as its frequency and wavelength, one can reproduce the same exact sound in a lab. Sorry my friend, sound is very physical. A thought on the other hand is a different thing entirely.

What you want us to believe is that if you mix a particular combination of chemicals and pass electricity through them, we will not only have a thought, but also the chemicals will know that they are actually thinking.

It gets even worse when you can't tell us how the same stimulus can produce wildly different thoughts which basically means that your experiment even if it miraculously succeeds, it still won't be repeatable.

Even much worse, you want us to believe that these same chemicals without outside intervention can choose to react with other chemicals and pass electricity through themselves in order to create more thought

And yeah by the way we cannot see, touch, hear, smell, or sense this thought in any way. We cannot even measure it at all.

So much for your "scientific fact"

All you have done these last few days is repeat the same "thought is a function of the brain" mantra in many different ways.

Thought is a function of the brain as speech is a function of the mouth. However the mouth does not decide for itself what it wants to say in the same way the brain does not decide for itself what it wants to think. The mouth and the brain are both tools for talking and thinking respectively.

If you insist that the brain generates thought on it's own, then be prepared to explain to us exactly how physical matter suddenly developed the ability to make decisions and also how all the peices of matter came to an agreement to work together and share a common consciousness.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Even if you are right, how does that become a proof for souls?

You are wrong. You reduce the brain and thoughts to chemical reactions and non-physical results to make a point (whatever the point was).

You have clearly lost.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
But we can hear sound, we can measure it, we can represent a sound in terms of mass and velocity because a sound is basically a wave and if one is given the precise measures such as its frequency and wavelength, one can reproduce the same exact sound in a lab. Sorry my friend, sound is very physical. A thought on the other hand is a different thing entirely.

What you want us to believe is that if you mix a particular combination of chemicals and pass electricity through them, we will not only have a thought, but also the chemicals will know that they are actually thinking.

It gets even worse when you can't tell us how the same stimulus can produce wildly different thoughts which basically means that your experiment even if it miraculously succeeds, it still won't be repeatable.

Even much worse, you want us to believe that these same chemicals without outside intervention can choose to react with other chemicals and pass electricity through themselves in order to create more thought

And yeah by the way we cannot see, touch, hear, smell, or sense this thought in any way. We cannot even measure it at all.

All you have done these last few days is repeat the same "thought is a function of the brain" mantra in many different ways.

Thought is a function of the brain as speech is a function of the mouth. However the mouth does not decide for itself what it wants to say in the same way the brain does not decide for itself what it wants to think. The mouth and the brain are both tools for talking and thinking respectively.

If you insist that the brain generates thought on it's own, then be prepared to explain to us exactly how physical matter suddenly developed the ability to make decisions and also how all the peices of matter came to an agreement to work together and share a common consciousness.

See the lies that you have to tell to make your failed argument?

-Thoughts are not as non-physical as you put it. The process of making a though is very physical- your neurons are firing and they are recollecting a visual memory from a paert of the brain and analysing it.

-We can know when someones brain is active- the measure brain activity nowadays. You have to make the lie that thoughts can not be measured in anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1339517/God-brain-Scans-activity-religious-people-meditate.html

^^^This is your brain when you think about God

The brain is both a biological, phyical and chemical organ not just chemocals alone. You reduce the brain to chemicals to make your opponents points look ridiculous but you are a ridiculous reductionist

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 11:39am On Jan 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Even if you are right, how does that become a proof for souls?

You are wrong. You reduce the brain and thoughts to chemical reactions and non-physical results to make a point (whatever the point was).

You have clearly lost.
Lol, actually it was mazaje that reduced the brain to chemical reactions not me.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 11:46am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

You are just making things up and and making commentaries on them as usual. . .Thoughts are a function of the brain and the brain generates thoughts through a serious of complex chain process. . .Thought is a function of the brain, it is generated in the brain. . .

Why is it that if ONLY the part of the brain that is responsible for thought is damaged a person can not think clearly or lose his ability to think at all if thought is from an outside source?. . .Are you saying that a damage to the physical part of the brain affect the immaterial soul that generates the thought?. . .Drugs that reduce dopamine transporter sites in the terminal buttons of neurons in the brain alter your thoughts completely when ingested. . .Some make you do what they want you to do and give you feelings you can not control. . .Are you saying that such material drugs also affect the outside immaterial soul and alter its actions?. . .

I have been waiting for you to give me one evidence of the elusive soul existing on its own independent of the brain and all I have been hearing is one story or the other. . .Even if I am to go by the baseless claim that lacks complete evidence that the soul exist and is responsible for generating thought can you then explain to me how material things like drugs alter the actions of the immaterial soul and make it redundant?. . .

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 11:49am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, actually it was mazaje that reduced the brain to chemical reactions not me.

Another lie. . .I said thoughts are a result of chemical reactions that occur in the brain. . . Such reactions can be seen with MIR scanners. An image was put up by logic boy. . .How does that equate to me reducing the brain to a bunch of chemical reactions?. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 11:52am On Jan 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

See the lies that you have to tell to make your failed argument?

-Thoughts are not as non-physical as you put it. The process of making a though is very physical- your neurons are firing and they are recollecting a visual memory from a paert of the brain and analysing it.

-We can know when someones brain is active- the measure brain activity nowadays. You have to make the lie that thoughts can not be measured in anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1339517/God-brain-Scans-activity-religious-people-meditate.html

^^^This is your brain when you think about God

The brain is both a biological, phyical and chemical organ not just chemocals alone. You reduce the brain to chemicals to make your opponents points look ridiculous but you are a ridiculous reductionist

Thank you man. . .I said thoughts are a series of chemical reactions that occur inside the brain, but you can always trust annony to remix it and say that mazaje said that the brain is a chemical reaction. . .he never fails as always. . . . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 07, 2013
mazaje:

Thank you man. . .I said thoughts are a series of chemical reactions that occur inside the brain, but you can always trust annony to remix it and say that mazaje said that the brain is a chemical reaction. . .he never fails as always. . . . .

Agreed.

He is the Nigerian version of Dinesh D'souza! wink
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 12:08pm On Jan 07, 2013
I haven't been following the details clearly per se, but from what I can see we've gotten 15 pages for the same inane god of the gaps in another guise; we don't know = spiritual. Worse, in this case we have a pretty good understanding of the source. Or has anyone here met someone thinking without a brain? A feat possible even without a heart, or just about any other organ that has functions that can be replicated by science for that matter. Even some that don't.

I seem to remember anony at one time acknowledging brain physiology effects sexuality. Saying something to the tune of environment can affect it, so ghey can be cured. So he accepts that the brain's physiology can affect something that complex, then wtf is all this about? The 'soul' has no say on sexuality then? Or it's only responsible for some actions which you can arbitrarily choose? No, it's responsible for changing the brain itself? Ok, then wtf is this 'soul'? We do know that changing physiology can alter sexuality, that we know for sure. We are yet to have come across souls trolling people into ghey anywhere though.

Ah, thoughts are perceived as non-physical, therefore: soul. Ok. Mathematics is spiritual as well I suppose. No? What of the bits in a computer responsible for the logic used to generate any post one is reading? Or the signals that race to a brain forcing any biological being with a nervous system to perceive pain, like say when it touches something hot?

We don't understand how consciousness works does not equal spiritual, at all. It equals just that, we don't know. And yet, AI is certainly not an impossibility. We'll create some given time, even if some sort of biology would be needed to fully create some. Ie, to simulate forming new connections between neurons, or simulate stimuli from external sources, etc. Or maybe we should just give up as obviously we cannot create souls.

Religion, drawing conclusions everywhere there is remote grey amongst the black and white.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 12:11pm On Jan 07, 2013
mazaje:

Another lie. . .I said thoughts are a result of chemical reactions that occur in the brain. . . Such reactions can be seen with MIR scanners. An image was put up by logic boy. . .How does that equate to me reducing the brain to a bunch of chemical reactions?. . .
You are mistaking correlation for causality. The image does not help you at all. What it shows is that when a thought is going on, certain neurons light up but it doesn't prove that these neurons are causing the thought rather I have more reason to believe that the person is the one causing the the neurons to light up in the sense that you first choose to meditate on God and then the neurons start firing in the same way you choose to talk and then your mouth starts moving. In the same way your mouth is a tool for speech so is you brain a tool for thinking.

You still have a lot of work to do sir.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
You are mistaking correlation for causality. The image does not help you at all. What it shows is that when a thought is going on, certain neurons light up but it doesn't prove that these neurons are causing the thought rather I have more reason to believe that the person is the one causing the the neurons to light up in the sense that you first choose to meditate on God and then the neurons start firing in the same way you choose to talk and then your mouth starts moving. In the same way your mouth is a tool for speech so is you brain a tool for thinking.

You just replaced scientific knowledge with a God of the gaps?

A honest and reasonable person would have kept quiet 2 comments ago.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 12:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

The problem with your analysis is that it is completely false. . .What is the person?. . .Is it the soul that controls digestion and heart beat?. . .The brain does all these things, it control EVERYTHING both voluntary and involuntary actions like heart beat, muscular movements etc. . . .What does the soul control?. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2013
mazaje:

The problem with your analysis is that it is completely false. . .What is the person?. . .Is it the soul that controls digestion and heart beat?. . .The brain does all these things, it control EVERYTHING both voluntary and involuntary actions like heart beat, muscular movements etc. . . .What does the soul control?. . .
If the brain controls everything, how can you talk about voluntary and involuntary actions? It is either the brain is voluntarily controlling something or something is overriding it's will and controlling it. It is illogical to say that the brain controls both voluntary and involuntary actions. Even your own response betrays you.

You are yet to show exactly us how matter magically develops a conscious intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by truthislight: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
If the brain controls everything, how can you talk about voluntary and involuntary actions? It is either the brain is voluntarily controlling something or something is overriding it's will and controlling it. It is illogical to say that the brain controls both voluntary and involuntary actions. Even your own response betrays you.

You are yet to show exactly us how matter magically develops a conscious intelligence.

matter does not "magically" develop consciousness more less that a radio develop/start transmission without electrical power source.
This ^^^ cannot be denied.

Matter was kickstarted by a source.

But

Involuntary action = none conscious/None deliberate action.

Same thing is possible also when one is at sleep = involutary actions = brain activity. QED.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 1:34pm On Jan 07, 2013
truthislight:

matter does not "magically" develop consciousness more less that a radio develop/start transmission without electrical power source.
This ^^^ cannot be denied.

Matter was kickstarted by a source.

But

Involuntary action = none conscious/None deliberate action.

Same thing is possible also when one is at sleep = involutary actions = brain activity. QED.
Sorry, care to rephrase? I didn't get that at all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply)

David Oyedepo Celebrates 34th Wedding Anniversary With Wife, Faith / Pope Francis Relative Killed In A Car Crash / Photos From Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s 51st Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.