Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,752 members, 7,831,410 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

A Muslims View On Christmas - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Muslims View On Christmas (2519 Views)

What Is The muslims View On Life After Death? / How Muslims View Easter / Y Do Wahhabi Muslims View Shia Muslims And Other Muslims As Being False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Muslims View On Christmas by aminho(m): 10:46pm On Dec 25, 2012
[color=#000099][/color] smileyAnybody, I repeat ANYBODY, that says it is haram (forbidden) to say "Merry Xmas" to Christians is really misrepresenting Islam, he is not showing the real Islam that Prophet Muhammad left for us. If you don't want to say it, it is left to you, but don't send false and wrong information. Is this how you want them to join your religion when you are showing them your intolerance. These are hard times, Muslims have suffering already with the bad image given to them by religious extremists claiming to be fighting for them. The bad name Muslims are giving Islam is enough, please don't add to it.

To My Christian brothers,
Please don't mind those Muslims spreading such messages, ignore them, that is not the teaching of Islam, they are sending false alarms. Islam is all about tolerance and understanding. Ignore them, don't judge Islam with the actions of such Muslims please. Judge Islam with what the Holy Prophet said. Islam is always misunderstood, even by the Muslims themselves sometimes.

Muslims of Nigeria and Arewa in particular, why is it that we are adamant and redundant, we don't want to change, this dogmatic attitude of ours is what is making us underdeveloped, we don't want to learn. If this was the way the Holy Prophet did, he won't had gained any followers, well, if this was the way Arab Traders did to our forefathers, they won't have embrace Islam. Islam preaches peace. The prophet visited his jewish neighbour when he was sick, the man later converted. This is the same man who use to put thorns on his way and pour refuse in his yard. Pathetic, how we Muslims of nowadays prefer extremist ideologies to Moderate ones. ALLAH (SWT) went to the extent of saying we can marry Christians and Jewish women and even eat their food. Let's be sincere, common sense we should apply here, if ALLAH (SWT) allowed us to eat their food, so what is wrong in we wishing them "Merry Christmas"??

For God sake! What kind of people are we Muslims trying to make, we claim to be salafis but we are not following the way of the Salafs, because the did not act this way!

I pray my Muslim brothers understand, and if they don't, its not my business because your extremism only lingers in your own head. My problem is that you are TARNISHING the image of my great religion which is totally unacceptable. I feel like crying when I see how Muslims are giving Islam a bad name.

I pray we are guided. May ALLAH guide all of us. Ameen.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my Christian brothers and sisters. Please don't forget to pray for Nigeria.

Stay blessed.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 25, 2012
Pele, NEXT!!!!
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Tariqh: 12:47am On Dec 26, 2012
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Tariqh: 12:48am On Dec 26, 2012
Na una type dey bring problem come

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by aminho(m): 9:25am On Dec 26, 2012
Thank you very much
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 12:40am On Dec 27, 2012
given the fact that the magi came from the east [of jerusalem or bethlehem], its highly likely they were originally from modern day muslim territory, ie one or more of the muslim countries in today's middle east.

we do know :

1. they studied the stars [astrologers]

2. they were guided by dreams

3. according to wiki, the magi's gestures of bowing or falling down before Jesus, had a significant effect on later christian practices.

4.the gifts of the magi were gold, frankincense [perfume] and myrrh.

the Greek historian Herodotus was familiar with Frankincense and knew it was harvested from trees in southern Arabia.

wiki

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Mavrick2012: 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2012
@op,i realy undastand n apreciate ur feelin n d message u tryin 2 pass.i dnt tink its only muslims dat parpetrate dis kind of bigotry,i know a lot of xtians who consider food brought to dem by muslims,on sallah day,as food sacrifed to idol.dis are som of d problems i hav wit religion,it tends to create division,bigotry,parochialism n all manners of evil harbits in its followers.smh

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Deen4me(m): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
@ AMINHO

You failed to give any proof or evidence to back up your claim that Islam tells us to wish Christians a Merry Xmas.

Here is what the Quran Says about the concept of Xmas

They say: "(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten a son!"
Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous!
As if the skies are ready to burst, the earth to split asunder, and the mountains to fall down in utter ruin.
That they should invoke a son for (Allah) Most Gracious.
For it is not consonant with the majesty of (Allah) Most Gracious that He should beget a son
Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to (Allah) Most Gracious as a servant.

Quran 19. 88 - 93

Greeting someone Merry Xmas means implicitly that you accept or approve of the action or rituals of disbelieve (kufr) in the oneness of Allah

It is out of respect of Allah's Prophet ISA (Jesus) and the teachings of the Rasul Peace be Upon them, that we as muslims reject the falsehood that they proclaim.

Allah does not begat nor was he beggotten. Quran 112

Prophet Isa (Jesus) AS was not born on 25th of Dec ( http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/117239/church-year/67665/Christmas )

Arewa has enough problems than to worry about saying merry xmas to xtians, like solving the multitude of child beggars and sending them to school.

I suggest you learn about Islam before you pass judgement on what you have no knowledge about

We as muslims are not to be found encouraging or congratulating someone for disbelieve

The sooner xtians realise that its out of respect that we don't do such , the better the understanding among the various religions.

And Allah Knows best

4 Likes

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by bntY: 10:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
Deen4me, It can't be said better.sadly the number of ignorants outweigh d no of knowledgables in dis matter.Even among d ones wt d undertanding, implementation does not go without raising dust. Sincere steadfastness we ask for, Ya Rabb.

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 2:59am On Dec 31, 2012
the difference here should be when you're in a diverse setting, where everybody isnt muslim, you should adapt to your environment without necessarily compromising your ideals:

Christmas in the Muslim world

Christmas is not a Muslim holiday, therefore, Muslim countries do not celebrate it. Muslims in the United States often request that their children not attend Christmas functions at school because the belief of Jesus, being the son of God runs directly against the core Muslim belief.

However, in a world where Muslims and Christians both are present, how should Muslims react? The Prophet of God, was faced with this question when he established the first peace sanctuary of Madinah, where the majority of the people were not Muslims. Here is what he said about the Christians of Najran (Yaman):

"Najran has the protection of God and the pledges of Muhammad, the Prophet, to protect their (the Christians') lives, faith, land, property, those who are absent and those who are present, and their clan and allies. They need not change anything of their past customs. No right of theirs or their religion shall be altered. No church leader, monk or church guard shall be removed from his position."

It was this historical commitment towards people of other faiths that formed the ideals of Islam regarding other faith groups in their midst, whether they were Christian, Jews, Sun worshipers, or Hindus. The Prophet even allowed a Christian delegation to celebrate their religious services in the very Mosque of the Prophet according to classic historians Ibn Hisham and Ibn Sa'd.

Historically, when Muslims have held state power, they have, for the most part, worked hard to protect the rights of non-Muslims in their midst, from idol-worshipping Hindus, to fire-worshipping Zorastrians. Christians, who are described in the Quran as "People of the Book", hold a special place as a faith community from the Abrahamic tradition. Protecting religious freedom has not been the Muslim state’s tactic of appeasement. Rather, it is an order from God, and a practice of Prophet Muhammad, who once said, "Whoever hurts a non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim society hurts me."

It is critical for Muslims to remember that a person is not considered a Muslim unless they believe in Jesus (Islamic and Christian View of Jesus). This love for this noble Prophet ties us to the Christian community in a special way.

Although the history of relations between Muslims and Christians has not always been good, it is important to remember that Muslims always stood for a society where the rights of all individuals are not only tolerated, but respected and protected.

http://soundvision.com/info/christmas/muslimcountries.asp
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 3:00am On Dec 31, 2012
i am not into long arguments over issues of theological vagueness, but i think people shouldnt be constantly getting worked up over some things.

sweating the small stuff, as it were.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 3:08am On Dec 31, 2012
i'll further study the description of the magi and their origins, hope to get some insight into this.

possibly the east they came from, also might have been the area of abraham's homeland before he migrated, not sure though, dont quote me.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 3:15am On Dec 31, 2012
To a Muslim living in the West, the Christmas Holiday period is one of the most stressful times because of the differences in our attitudes towards holidays and celebrations of the status quo.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=142163

ok, noted.

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
tpia@:
i'll further study the description of the magi and their origins, hope to get some insight into this.

possibly the east they came from, also might have been the area of abraham's homeland before he migrated, not sure though, dont quote me.

I don't see any connection between the origins of the magi and OP's topic. Na wa o. Aunty tpia. . . . . . . .
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 6:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
^madam, let the op speak for herself, we all know you're amebo, but you should still have limits.

if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute besides yapping senselessly, best to keep quiet.

bye.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by aminho(m): 7:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
tpia@:
^madam, let the op speak for herself,

bye.
what do you want me to say
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
^ i dont own you, so i'm not "wanting" you to say anything. I dont manufacture robots.

IF you want to say something, its up to you.

however, fellis should keep quiet if she cant contribute relevantly to the topic.

i did not ask for her opinion and neither was my post meant for her.

she doesnt have to take the thread to the gutter. undecided

the christmas she's disturbing everybody over, is already past.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Deen4me(m): 5:02am On Jan 01, 2013
bntY: Deen4me, It can't be said better.sadly the number of ignorants outweigh d no of knowledgables in dis matter.Even among d ones wt d undertanding, implementation does not go without raising dust. Sincere steadfastness we ask for, Ya Rabb.

Alhamdullilah, we need to place better emphasis on response on some threads which some "muslims" that have no knowledge and can pass fatwas as they please.

We should all be quick to point out and correct these misinformed opinions. I admire the work of some people in defence of the Deen May Allah reward them.

As we all will be asked about the Deen and what state we left it in this world.

May Allah Guide us all

2 Likes

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by hadbak: 9:24pm On Jan 01, 2013
As far as I know 99% of xmas n its celebration is full of disbelieve that even some xtians dnt celebrate it. Any muslim dt congratulat, participate or celebrat wit them has wronged his/herelf n wallahi should turn to Allah for taubah. Even the xmas food should b avoided in shaa Allah. Allah knows best.

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tbaba1234: 10:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
@OP

In Islam, we do things based on evidence from the Quran and sunnah not just on our personal feelings. The muslim should treat his neighbours in the best of ways even if they are non-muslim but we do not compromise on tawheed. The history of the celebration of christmas is not one, a muslim should be involved in at all. Buy gifts for your neighbour any other time of the year.

1 Like

Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tpia5: 2:49am On Jan 02, 2013
i dont think anyone was asking for gifts at christmas, not sure where you got that.

christmas is not celebrated by muslims, the issue here is there's no need to get so upset during this time.

however, someone [in the link i quoted] said muslims find the christmas period stressful, so we'll just go with this explanation.

i did not notice this stress when i was back home [cant remember], but since terrorists in nigeria also timed their deadly attacks around christmas, i suppose there's something there.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by ayinba1(f): 4:28am On Jan 02, 2013
OP is not a muslim.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by LogicSense: 7:15am On Jan 02, 2013
@poster, the tone of your message is harsh on us. It is indeed devoid of scholarship. It is a well established historical fact that jesus was not born on december 25. It is rather a day for the celebration of greek idol.do you want us to share in their ignorance and idolatory to please them. Have yr aqeeda checked. We dont need to look for anybody's favour at the expense of Allah's.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tbaba1234: 7:29am On Jan 02, 2013
ayinba1: OP is not a muslim.

Sister assalam aleikum, you can't just make takfir on people, any one who says he is muslim is one.... Our brothers could have misguided thoughts but that is why we should help each other.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
The best is to have gud knowledge of what islam says about any issue before saying/writing anything. Check this blog for a thorough research on this matter
http://www.shareefudeen..no/2012/12/christmas-christmas-christmas.html?m=1
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 02, 2013
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by ayinba1(f): 3:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
tbaba1234:

Sister assalam aleikum, you can't just make takfir on people, any one who says he is muslim is one.... Our brothers could have misguided thoughts but that is why we should help each other.

He had a post on this NL where he called himself a Christian. so which one is he? BTW, I am not a scholar so I don't even know what "make takfir" means, I just do a little investigation before I process what people post.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by tbaba1234: 5:20pm On Jan 02, 2013
^May Allah grant you goodness

To make takfir is to label someone who claims to be a muslim as a disbeliever. I am not a scholar either.

The op might not be a muslim, He started the thread

A Christian's View On His Fellow Christain Brothers

https://www.nairaland.com/1147510/christians-view-fellow-christain-brothers

So OP, are you a muslim or not?
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by aminho(m): 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
ayinba1:

He had a post on this NL where he called himself a Christian. so which one is he? BTW, I am not a scholar so I don't even know what "make takfir" means, I just do a little investigation before I process what people post.
and who told you am not a Muslim?my name is Muhammad musa amshi smileySo get your facts right
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by ayinba1(f): 5:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
aminho: and who told you am not a Muslim?my name is Muhammad musa amshi smileySo get your facts right

Your name does not make you a muslim. I went to school in Adamawa state and knew of a dozen non muslim Ibrahims, Musas and Muhammad. If you say you are one religion, then the other, it becomes harder to believe anything you say.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by ayinba1(f): 5:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
tbaba1234: ^May Allah grant you goodness

To make takfir is to label someone who claims to be a muslim as a disbeliever. I am not a scholar either.

The op might not be a muslim, He started the thread

A Christian's View On His Fellow Christain Brothers

https://www.nairaland.com/1147510/christians-view-fellow-christain-brothers

So OP, are you a muslim or not?

My brother, Amin and to you. Thanks for all your contributions.
Re: A Muslims View On Christmas by probsolver: 9:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
Alhamdulillah am a muslim see d way iSsue was tackled, It is only in Islam u can see such, backing evrything with evidence NOT EMOTION or sentiments, we cant teach Allah and His rasul d deen. @op I fEel what u r feeling maybe u ar surrounded by many xtians but d issue is u av to do it d way Allah and Rasul taught us that is when it will be acceptable. May Allah make it easy. Don't wait til xmas period to think of good u can do for ur xtians frnds or neighbors. And pray to Allah to make d religion easy and practicable for u and evry1 of us. AND FOR THOSE USING HARSH WORDS ON HIS/HER fellow brothers pls desist we ar muslims not ordinary human being. The best nation ever raised for mankind. Q3:110. Love u all

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Regrets On The Day Of Judgement / Is Allah Everywhere??? / Islam And Marketing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.