Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. (10105 Views)

Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads / Barbaric And Satanic Fashola Must Pay For This!!! / Pdp, Obanikoro: Fashola Must Resign Now ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by EkoIle1: 4:10am On Dec 27, 2012
Published on December 26, 2012 by · 1 Comment

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Wednesday visited the site of a fire incident triggered by the storage of firecrackers at the Ojo Giwa area of Jankara Market in Central Lagos, describing the incident a self inflicted tragedy.

Fashola, speaking to journalists, at the scene of Lagos fire[b]

The Governor who spoke with newsmen at the scene said: “We make rules, we break them. All of these items are under one form of prohibition or the other and we have men and women at our various entry and exit points”.

“How did they get in?, how did they enter?, who shipped them?, who imported them and who cleared them?. Who approved them to come in. Those are very serious issues. We must also ask ourselves, must we do every business?”, the Governor asked rhetorically.

The Governor reflected that the people must undertake a lot of soul searching and reflections on the choices they make as a people, asking; “the way we do business, does it benefit all of us or do we do business without consideration for other people’s safety as long as I make money?, I don’t care if people die, I don’t care if properties are burnt”.

He reiterated that in order to make quick business, lives have been lost, properties have been lost and all of the people are in danger.[/b]

Governor Fashola maintained that everyone must be involved in the soul searching process, underscoring that it must not be about the government alone. According to him, as the state government continues to ramp up capacities by equipping the fire service, equipping the emergency services, setting up a safety commission, the people must now choose how safely they want to live.

“There must be safety, environmental and health safety in everything that we do. We have had too many fires in the recent past and in spite of my appeals over the last two months that we are going into the dry season and that everyone must resist the temptation to keep inflammable materials in homes”, the Governor said.

The Governor revealed that two weeks ago, over a weekend of Saturday and Sunday , the Lagos State Fire Service responded to 22 fire distress calls, stressing that such number can be reduced through self -caution as the government cannot be in peoples’ homes to check who is storing fuel or explosives.

Governor Fashola said all citizens must now lead by showing some commitment to their own safety, by giving a commitment that: “I will keep petrol away from my house, I will keep explosives away from my house. I will not make any illegal electrical connection. I will switch off all my electrical appliances before I leave home”.

He warned that if care is not taken, it may get to a situation where if the present trend continues, the state fire service would be overwhelmed.

“All of us have a duty and I am renewing my appeal again, let us stop this dangerous businesses because once there is an error, the consequences are devastating as you see. I hope that we will restrain ourselves and get through this difficult year in some safety and adopt much more safety conscious choices as we go into the new year”, he explained.

The Governor was received and briefed at the site by the General Manager of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency(LASEMA) Dr Oke Osanyintolu and the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, TpL Toyin Ayinde and other officials who had been coordinating rescue and fire control efforts at the site.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/26/fashola-how-did-banned-fire-crackers-enter-nigeria/

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by EkoIle1: 4:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Well, we all know the money hungry folks he was appealing to. Unfortunately, you can not keep appealing to these money hungry and do anything for money hungry beasts, you have to lock them up or keep them out.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by seunfly: 4:17am On Dec 27, 2012
The problem of Nigeria is that everybody want to survive in a very harsh socio-political/economical society with decay check and balance system especialy at the level of corruption perpetuated by our leaders, gives citizens the gut to disregard the laws/rules, value for human life and moral value in as much as he will make money for him to survive. Therefore i will urge gov fash to stop complaining about peaple's reckles behaviors until all our leaders stop their nonsense and sensles attitude toward peaple survival and Nigeria's developments.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by k2039: 5:06am On Dec 27, 2012
“How did they get in?, how did they enter?, who shipped them?, who imported them and who cleared them?. Who approved them to come in. Those are very serious issues.
[color=soyouquotedme]Nigeria custom service is another epitome of corruption [/color]

7 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 27, 2012
when fash starts the crackdown be sure some people will come to nl to biatch about how he is spoliling people's livelihood

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by geeez: 6:06am On Dec 27, 2012
Eko Ile: Well, we all know the money hungry folks he was appealing to. Unfortunately, you can not keep appealing to these money hungry and do anything for money hungry beasts, you have to lock them up or keep them out.

When they can kill their mothers for money, what on earth would a life mean to them. Lets see how this plays out.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Ngwakwe: 6:15am On Dec 27, 2012
Accident, accident do happen and we cannot do anything about that.

Business is all about risk taking, profit and loss in Nigeria context.

Accident victims include "the less safety conscious business owner" who was anticipating greater returns but unfortunately was not tutored in the ABCs of Risk Assessment as is required in Business and "Health, Safety and Environment".

Education and Re-orientation of our value systems are essential to curtail this ugly monster of "Get Rich Quick and by all means".

What do we expect when most of Nairalanders curse and defame their opponents with languages that connotes Doom for the Poor and Less privileged.

Wisdom will Save Us.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Ngwakwe: 6:25am On Dec 27, 2012
Shouting and repeating yourself does not connote wisdom or intelligence.

I know solidarity with your people is sometimes commendable but everything should not be viewed with the lens of "We verses Them"

Man wise-up and contribute positively to discussions.

This message is not only to Geeez but to all Radical Nationalists in Politics Section from all Geo-Political Zone in Nigeria

geeez:

When they can kill their mothers for money, what on earth would a life mean to them. Lets see how this plays out.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by ifeegee(f): 6:30am On Dec 27, 2012
geeez:

Everything is not all about tribe,it's about taking responsiblity 4 every of our actions.Damages done cuts across board no tribe was excused....Somebody was complacent at the point of entry,another provided facility 4 storage etc,was it all done by just a tribe?

9 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by dayokanu(m): 6:33am On Dec 27, 2012
Some people dont care as long as they make the money even if its by selling chalk as paracetamol, Sachet pure water as drip etc
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:53am On Dec 27, 2012
Fashola should ans dat question? Afterall, he is the one choppin the tax money from the business. As long as the imports are not drugs or ammunition or dangerous to liv, then they are legitimate business for a Nigerian.

We want to encourage people to seek an honest living not kidnappers, drug dealers or armed robbery. Perhaps Fashola is tryin to encourage the alternative to a honest living or create poverty and desperation.

Fires happen all over the world and as such his comments are off track. Improve the fire services Fashola...

5 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Walexz02(m): 6:55am On Dec 27, 2012
And people were asking Gen.Buhari if he ever regrated killing those drug trafickers? The guy should be punishd if found guilty,there layd down rules,if u can nt obey them then be ready for the reparcution....

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Walexz02(m): 7:01am On Dec 27, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Fashola should ans dat question? Afterall, he is the one choppin the tax money from the business. As long as the imports are not drugs or ammunition or dangerous to liv, then they are legitimate business for a Nigerian.

We want to encourage people to seek an honest living not kidnappers, drug dealers or armed robbery. Perhaps Fashola is tryin to encourage the alternative to a honest living or create poverty and desperation.

Fires happen all over the world and as such his comments are off track. Improve the fire services Fashola...
You ar spewing rubbish! If your fathers house is among those houses that burnt up,or if it is ur brother(dt 12yr old boy) dt died u wil nt be saying all ds rubbish 4r ur anuz. Mtschew.
Make sure u read and re-read what u posted b4 quoting me o..

7 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Omen100(m): 7:35am On Dec 27, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Fashola should ans dat question? Afterall, he is the one choppin the tax money from the business. As long as the imports are not drugs or ammunition or dangerous to liv, then they are legitimate business for a Nigerian.

You are not different. From the trader who import those explosives & the corrupt customs officials who cleared the explosive consignment.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by gbanikiti(m): 7:42am On Dec 27, 2012
Exactly!
k2039:
[color=soyouquotedme]Nigeria custom service is another epitome of corruption [/color]
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by ACM10: 8:27am On Dec 27, 2012
The Governor reflected that the people
must undertake a lot of soul searching
and reflections on the choices they
make as a people, asking; “the way we
do business, does it benefit all of us or
do we do business without
consideration for other people’s safety
as long as I make money?, I don’t care
if people die, I don’t care if properties
are burnt”.
With all due respect, the above comment is trash. No true capitalist puts the consideration of people's safety above his profit margin. That is why the government should be there to enact and enforce laws which protects the masses. Capitalists like Otedola, Ifeanyi Uba, Dangote, Shell, ExxonMobil etc have directly or indirectly sent people to their grave because of the way in which they conducts their business. Appealing to capitalists to conduct their business in a way in which it benefits everyone is naive. That statement is inimical to the fundamental creed of capitalism; which is greed. He should direct the comment at the government(which he is a part of) for failing to protect the masses.

The comment should also be directed at the politician(Fashola inclusive) for embezzling the money meant for the masses; For failing to equip our hospitals; For failing to upgrade our infrastructures; etc. The way they runs the government does not benefit all of us too

16 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by TCD: 9:04am On Dec 27, 2012
Fashola must you and Tinubu loot the treasury?

7 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Chongaiman: 9:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Weren't those kinds of materials used for the opening and closing ceremonies of Eko 2012?

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmoore(m): 9:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Whats wrong with fireworks? People die more in car accidents every year maybe the government should ban cars too so we can start using horses for transportation.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by izenco2005(m): 9:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Hungry won kill me

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by slimyem: 9:15am On Dec 27, 2012
I see posters winding the issue around tribe as usual.
So many forgetting that the over 40 people injured are most probably from differents tribes of the nation but the explosion couldn't differentiate or make exceptions for any.
Whatever affects one tribe affects us all.The earlier we choose to accept that and face the real problem,the better for us!

7 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by thelastPope(m): 9:16am On Dec 27, 2012
The Governor reflected that the people must
undertake a lot of soul searching and reflections
on the choices they make as a people, asking; “the
way we do business, does it benefit all of us or do
we do business without consideration for other
people’s safety as long as I make money?, I don’t
care if people die, I don’t care if properties are
burnt”.
This is coming from a man who never considers the masses before making a decision.
This man doesn't know how to talk at all. I thought they said he is intelligent?
Firecrackers are sold all over the world. It is not bomb. If there are issues of reorientation and control, it is the duty of government to handle it. You don't stop problems in society by banning everthing in sight.
22 fire calls in a weekend in Lagos state and he thinks that is too much? Then Lagos state doesn't have a fire service! That is 11 fire calls from over 40 LGAs in one day. First of all, every LGA is supposed to have a fire service. If you got 11 calls in one day, that means an average of 1 call in just 11 LGAs.
The man selling the firecrackers pays tax to LASG so I don't understand what Fashola is saying. Maybe he should do a thorough soul searching himself and start doing stuff that will benefit the masses.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by larride(m): 9:17am On Dec 27, 2012
TCD: Fashola must you and Tinubu loot the treasury?

Do you even read the article at all? Smhs, these are the same youth that the future of nigeria lies with. I pity Nigeria. Read the article again and see the trash u posted above and see how they correspond. I pray hatred don't consume you.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Arysexy(m): 9:21am On Dec 27, 2012
we know the people that constitute majority of traders in Lagos island, so OP's attempt to incite ethnic bashing against his perceived tribal enemy will surely fall back to his people. To the affected homes and shop owners, i say take heart!
Merry Xmas and a tragedy free new yr!

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by efosanice: 9:25am On Dec 27, 2012
I am a Nigerian and i believe that nigerians are just too dumb.

First of all, how can a fire start from firecrackers?

if that was possible then the whole of china,india, japan , taiwan would have burnt to the ground.

fire crackers don't carry fire, they burn and emit light and gas,a lot of which mop out oxygen and prevent further burn, in most cases, firecrackers dont even burn completely.

this story right here is why the world thinks we have a single digit IQ.

if there is a fire,you call fire fighters, they put out the fire,they carry out a concrete investigation to get the cause,but in NIgeria,a completely uneducated graduate would make a dumb down guess and every one would take it up because thinking is not our calling and even the dumbed down governor who is said to be the best would construct a speech along those lines. WOW!

6 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 27, 2012
This tragedy is caused by a senseless ban that dates back to the civil war. The fear was that people could confuse bangers for bombs. Just like the unitary state, this policy is another hangover from the military rule. The ban should be lifted so that the business can be operated by in the open and so regulated by government. Prohibition has never worked and is largely responsible for the rise of the Mafia in the US. Nigeria must learn how free markets work.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by thirty(m): 9:28am On Dec 27, 2012

. I think you are making a big nonsense out of ur dude brain. The governor is encouraging on preventing ways to fire outbreak, you are talking trash. Do you need fire service in ur compound? If we are blaming custom authority, what about you that patronised them. My friend, charity begings at home. Take note, knockout fire and others has been prohibited in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by ujchief(m): 9:29am On Dec 27, 2012
Ooops! U guys just spoilt the day for that tribal bígot that started this thread, hoping to, as usual, heap the blames on that tribe that gives him nightmare. Unfortunately, intelligent minds have shifted the blame back to the foot of the government, where it rightly belongs.
@op, try again, this time around, with more venom and anger, maybe, just maybe it might work out this time around.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmoore(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
efosanice: I am a Nigerian and i believe that nigerians are just too dumb.

why can't you make comments without insulting every Nigerian? Are you among the dumb ones too? smh
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by ujchief(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2012
thirty: Take note, knockout fire and others has been prohibited in Lagos.
Really? Then how did fashiola manage to smugle in those fire crackers used at the closing ceremony of Eko festival? Keep shooting urself at the foot.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by larride(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2012
What Gov. Fashola said is right, we as a people of this nation, we need to do soul searching and reflect in all our ways, the Nigerian system has decayed us, moral values doesn't count among us, tribal war is the order of the day, We demand good leadership from our goverment but we too docile or stagnant to do what's needed, for a nation to move forward, its not just about the government, we the people have lots of responsibilities to do, not just paying tax, not just shouting and screaming on NL, but being cautious of immediate environment, by thinking about our own safety and the safety of others, the security personnel won't be able to protect us without our own contribution, but the masses and the government must walk together for a better nation. We still have a long way to go as a nation, we continue to lay all blame on the government without searching ourselves, the government CAN'T or WON'T do everything, sometimes we the people need to start doing the right things. Both Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba and all ethnic group in Nigeria, we are all one, we must cut through ethnic sentiment, start re-orientation not just about good governance but also about our responsibilities to the nation. We all crave for change, for somethings to change, somethings will have to be destroyed. Change is gradual and very painful but we must endure if we want to get there. When the government sees that we are united, when they sees that we hold dear our moral values, our responsibilities and right, then our voices will be heard all round the nation with one voice without any ethnic sentiment or emotions, that's when we will start making progress. Before Nigeria will start to progress, we Nigerians must first be willing to pay the price for change.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Insanity(m): 9:38am On Dec 27, 2012
slimyem: I see posters winding the issue around tribe as usual.
So many forgetting that the over 40 people injured are most probably from differents tribes of the nation but the explosion couldn't differentiate or make exceptions for any.
Whatever affects one tribe affects us all.The earlier we choose to accept that and face the real problem,the better for us!

Don't mind them. Unfortunately, the said Fire cracker warehouse that caused the accident is owned by a well-known business man from their own tirbe, such is life!

A guy i know just unloaded a 40ft container of goods worth around 40mil. Burnt to ashes to the last piece. Sad News.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abeokuta Flood: Amosun Warns Against Indiscriminate Building Of Houses, Refuses / Governor Zulum Suspends Four Borno Medical Doctors Over Absenteeism, Lying / Uzodimma: Onslaught Of Hoodlums In Imo Has Been Contained

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.