Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. (10093 Views)

Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads / Barbaric And Satanic Fashola Must Pay For This!!! / Pdp, Obanikoro: Fashola Must Resign Now ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmaine: 12:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

gej muppet, petrol stations are overseen by dpr , DPR gives them yearly licenses to operate, conducts audits, shuts down stations, instructs on safety upgrades as required, - outside of municipal permits for construction and land use charge, lasg has little or no business with filling stations. the only thing lasg has insisted on is that all filling stations come with public restroom facilities - and they are pushing for restrooms that cater to the disabled. that is from a worker in downstream, not some armchair gej ignoramus

The eediot felt he could impress with established gibberish . . . .Now answer me very concisely

A) Who gives the Telecom operators licence to operate and also defines the standards they must adhere to . .

If your answer is the NCC

Now tell me why you feel the LASG can't regulate the irregular citing of fueling stations when they went into battle with the Telcos for irresponsible citing of their masts

Let it be known that telecom operators will be deceiving themselves if they think the Ministry of Physical Planning laws can be challenged in court. While we will not stand on their way to the courts, we must warn the telecom operators not to take our present position as weakness or incapacity to act and perform our lawful duty.

Telecom operators think they can hide under NCC to flout Lagos laws with impunity but they should be informed that Lagos can bite. You cannot mess with Lagos. No Nigerian company can do this in South Africa or Dubai or any other place in the world. They think they are bigger than the government,” he said.

According to Igbokwe, UFRU hopes that common sense would prevail now to avoid a situation where the unit would be forced to start dismantling their installations, including the mega base stations.

http://www.naija247news.com/index.php/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4118:-lagos-state-govt-threatens-to-shut-down-mtn-glo-and-other-telecom-operators-over-mast-installation&catid=78:business-tech&Itemid=421

Am waiting for your hypocritical twist . . . . .
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by emiye(m): 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
jmaine:

Guess it's the same DPR that levies huge monthly taxes on them . . .You must be very silly . . . .

Ah , so you have moved from the wrong location of the gas station to "huge monthly taxes levied on them".

You must be the accountant of the gas station.... to know the huge taxes levied on the station. undecided undecided

It is not difficult to identify the silly one . ... check a mirror, you will see a very silly, dumb fellow.

Yeye follow follow, wey no get mind of him own. Lost sheep following goats.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by seunfly: 12:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
geeez:

When they can kill their mothers for money, what on earth would a life mean to them. Lets see how this plays out.
With all of you quoting this guy from tribal point of view, i don't think this guy is refering to any tribe because any despirate average Nigerian can do what he said. Am sorry to say this but no tribe is immune from this allegation and if our leaders can be behaving the way they have been behaving this whole then no one is exempted until proven otherwise.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by najoke: 12:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
Okija_juju: What is this Yoruba man talking about biko nu?!

So because Firecrackers shop burn, it makes firecracker business a bad thing.. What about gun shops, car shops (No thanks to those Mobile coffins owned by Yorubas call Molues..), cement shops (all the Yoruba peoples houses that keeps collapsing and killing Igbos in lagos)..

Abeg, make that man stop to reason like who get tribal mark for brain...

guy why do you always display ur foolishness in public....is this what you teach ur kids
Gosh!!!!
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by k2039: 12:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
ilugunboy:

That is a huge understatement ..they deals in Mega-Corruption, next in quantity and quality to the corruption in the oil-industry.
gringringringringringringringrin
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmaine: 12:28pm On Dec 27, 2012
emiye:

Ah , so you have moved from the wrong location of the gas station to "huge monthly taxes levied on them"

Before any construction of such . . . . .You need the permission of the LASG . . .Permission doesn't only equate to giving licenses to operate . . .This is Nigeria where we have criss crossing regulations, with powers giving to two or more strata or agencies carrying out almost the same functions . . .

A clear case of NESREA and NCC battling who is actually in charge of regulating the citing of telecoms . . . .

emiye:

You must be the accountant of the gas station.... to know the huge taxes levied on the station. undecided undecided
[/b].

Only an ignorant fool will argue against the huge taxes business are forced to cough out in Lagos . . . .

emiye:

Yeye follow follow, wey no get mind of him own. Lost sheep following goats.

Your reply shows your just an empty mussel . . .Please tend to my lil poser to your fellow dolt up there . . .
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
jmaine:

The eediot felt he could impress with established gibberish . . . .Now answer me very concisely

A) Who gives the Telecom operators licence to operate and also defines the standards they must adhere to . .

If your answer is the NCC

Now tell me why you feel the LASG can't regulate the irregular citing of fueling stations when they went into battle with the Telcos for irresponsible citing of their masts

http://www.naija247news.com/index.php/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4118:-lagos-state-govt-threatens-to-shut-down-mtn-glo-and-other-telecom-operators-over-mast-installation&catid=78:business-tech&Itemid=421

Am waiting for your hypocritical twist . . . . .

olodo - did you not read what i read about municipal approval?

any business will require approval from multiple authorities - what lasg will give is municipal approval based on approved drawings, eia if required, structural drawings (a must)

must you continue to highlight your ignorance?

please name your area where this "new" Oando station is so i can tell if you are not full of unadulterated bs

it is only recently lasg even lifted a freeze on new filling stations - and that freeze was in place because of the chaos of fuel queues on traffic.

also, please try to stay on topic instead of meandering like a lost sheep - from fireworks to filling station to telecomms if we give you enough time, you will add d'banj to the equation , all in your bid to hide your ignorance -

abeg carry your adhd and return to your masters nuts
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
liability here rests with the seller of the fireworks.

clearly they must not have been stored properly. yes, the seller probbaly had NO idea how they should have ben stored, or just didn't care since the products are supposed to have moved by january.bad case of criminal negligence. the actual owner of the building may or may not have liability, since he may or may not have known that his tenant had turned the warehouse into a fireworks depot

there is always the possibility that neighbours reported to the authorities, but sadly the authorities are only interested in settlement

it is a recurring decimal and an annoying one, people using residential areas for business and endangering every body in the process. where i live, some neighbours are in the car import business and they continue to clog up the area with cars.that came with the attendant pilfering of car parts . It got so bad, at one point, there were three buses right outside my house, blocking the view of my fence from all neighbours.As usual, it was until there was an incident - robbers in the neighbourhood, that the nuisance businessman finally found the common sense to move his buses some place else.

whoever threw the banger into his shop also has some liability
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Symphony007: 12:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
In a country where jobs are rare why ban the importation of a commodity people use in getting income. Why is'nt it taxed and regulated to specific safe houses where it will be safe from fire. Everybody wins..the importers get their income and the government gets revenue. It's sureal!!
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by edogirl2: 12:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
GenBuhari: what Fashola said was a statement that you would expect from government that working and that has health and safety laws in place that is implemented
Clearly this is not the case in Nigeria.

So whilst it is correct for Fashola ask businesses to be responsible he should also acknowledge the failings of his state govt and federal govt to make and implement sufficient Health and Safety laws.

Yet, when the government tries to introduce some public safety regulations, e.g ban on Okada (one of the most hazardous human engagements in Lagos)you guys fiercely criticise the government. You can't have it both ways. We are either going to recognise as a people that some activities pose such disproportionate threat to civilised living that they need to be regulated/prohibited, or we continue to exist and live like barbarians on the simplistic basis that we need to make a living at all cost.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmaine: 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

olodo - did you not read what i read about municipal approval?

any business will require approval from multiple authorities - what lasg will give is municipal approval based on approved drawings, eia if required, structural drawings (a must)

must you continue to highlight your ignorance?

please name your area where this "new" Oando station is so i can tell if you are not full of unadulterated bs

it is only recently lasg even lifted a freeze on new filling stations - and that freeze was in place because of the chaos of fuel queues on traffic.

also, please try to stay on topic instead of meandering like a lost sheep - from fireworks to filling station to telecomms -

abeg carry your acid and return to your masters nuts

Just another gibberish . . . You could not Justify your earlier view of DPR is all with respect to regulating citing of fueling stations . . .Then why were you giving me all those ramblings about DPR when you knew the LASG had powers to impose their laws on any business operating in their jurisdiction

Fools who feel they can peddle their views stupidly . . .

Now back to the thread . . . .

The Lagos State Govt must accept that there is a lapse on their own part cos you don't tax "illegality" .. . . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
jmaine:

Just another gibberish . . . You could not Justify your earlier view of DPR is all with respect to regulating citing of fueling stations . . .Then why were you giving me all those ramblings about DPR when you knew the LASG had powers to impose their laws on any business operating in their jurisdiction

Fools who feel they can peddle their view stupidly without getting called out . . .

Now back to the thread . . . .

please tell me the location of the "new" oando station na - abi you have suddenly forgotten? or are you just full of sheet, like all the silly conjectures you have been posting?
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmaine: 12:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

please tell me the location of the "new" oando station na - abi you have suddenly forgotten? or are you just full of sheet, like all the silly conjectures you have been posting?

Yaba area . . . . . . . . .You blindly followed Emiye and when given a parallel reference . . .You failed to justify your tripe
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by edogirl2: 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Fashola should ans dat question? Afterall, he is the one choppin the tax money from the business. As long as the imports are not drugs or ammunition or dangerous to liv, then they are legitimate business for a Nigerian.

We want to encourage people to seek an honest living not kidnappers, drug dealers or armed robbery. Perhaps Fashola is tryin to encourage the alternative to a honest living or create poverty and desperation.

Fires happen all over the world and as such his comments are off track. Improve the fire services Fashola...

This your 'honest living' analysis leaves a lot to be desired. In my book, any business/human activity that exposes the public (persons and property)to disproportionate risk of loss of life and property ceases to be a 'honest' endeavour and must be regulated by the government. Unfortunately, we live in a society where people are naturally inclined to resist any serious attempt to regulate their public activities.

Stockpiling/storing bangers or whatever they are called in a built up area is grossly irresponsible. No 'honest living' (to quote you) can come from such level of irresponsibility.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by zumbigbo(m): 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2012
Naija = no law
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by jmaine: 1:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
zumbigbo: Naija = no law

Law plenty . . .but na implementation be the wahala . . . . .
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by hoodboy(m): 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
Only he who has never lit fireworks is free to cast blames. Accusing the business man of burning the landlord's building, are u trying to say the landlord was not aware that his tenant was into fireworks? Common this is a business that is conducted in the open. Fireworks have always made the season fun, so stop throwing sectional jabs like the entire nation hasn't benefited from fireworks. It is unfortunate what happened, and My condolences go to does who incurred losses, God will provide succor.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
Tanker explodes, planes crash, passenger transport crash, helicopter crash, gas pipes explodes, electricity shock people to death, building collapse with people still in dem, police kill people alongside boko haram etc.

Fashola comes along and ask. "Must We Do Every Buisness?"

grin
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:30pm On Dec 27, 2012
In all endeavours in life, u will find risk. Do people go hungry and stop seeking a means to an end becos Fashola is collectin his one through tax? Or do we simply try to remedy the risk and continue?

I am very comfortable, does not mean that i stop looking or caring to see if my neigbours are going hungry. Development shoud be sought at a pace that carries everybody along.

I am sorry to say but Fashola is coming across as an arrogant right wing elitist, with no care for the Average Joe.(poor folks)

Call me a leftist, but the poor and the rich alike deserve tlc from their gov.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: In all endeavours in life, u will find risk. Do people go hungry and stop seeking a means to an end becos Fashola is collectin his one through tax? Or do we simply try to remedy the risk and continue?

I am very comfortable, does not mean that i stop looking or caring to see if my neigbours are going hungry. Development shoud be sought at a pace that carries everybody along.

I am sorry to say but Fashola is coming across as an arrogant right wing elitist, with no care for the Average Joe.(poor folks)

Call me a leftist, but the poor and the rich alike deserve tlc from their gov.

i'm sure the people who lost houses and property in the blast would agree with you
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Dee60: 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Please read the comment from Fashola before running wild with your responses.

Facts

1. Several countries have banned fireworks. Here it is also banned, yet it is sold everywhere on the streets. Go and do your research and you will find that the product must have been smuggled in. Customs need to be queried.

2. Some countries like South Africa will seize any ship carrying fireworks even if the ship is just passing its waters.

3. The fireworks you see in use in special events like Olympics are specially made and they are stored specially and carefully in line with what is called 'dangerous cargo' rules.
t
For those criticizing Fashola for his comments, I hope that you know that some people have lost everything they ever owned or worked for in that careless and callous accident that could have been avoided.

This is not capitalism but stupidity! How could anyone keep dangerous explosives inside the heat of Jankara? Will they ever find the importer? Even if they find him/her, will he/she be able to pay for the billions worth of property lost, not to talk of lives?

Let us all do away with fireworks, it is dangerous, it kills people and destroys properties every year, and we keep going back to the same problems.

If you must use fireworks, go to National Stadium. If you must store fireworks, store them in confinements that are specially prepared for such goods.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by sucess001(m): 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Symphony007: In a country where jobs are rare why ban the importation of a commodity people use in getting income. Why is'nt it taxed and regulated to specific safe houses where it will be safe from fire. Everybody wins..the importers get their income and the government gets revenue. It's sureal!!

@ symphony...we didnt agree on the other issue( u know) but on this...ure spot on!

i dont understand why government likes looking @ symptoms rather than the problem. The problem is poverty and unemployment...u dontjust tell pple to search their souls and stop doing business when u dont address how food will get to his table...shows how dteached from the people our leaders re...
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Symphony007: 4:31pm On Dec 27, 2012
sucess001:

@ symphony...we didnt agree on the other issue( u know) but on this...ure spot on!

i dont understand why government likes looking @ symptoms rather than the problem. The problem is poverty and unemployment...u dontjust tell pple to search their souls and stop doing business when u dont address how food will get to his table...shows how dteached from the people our leaders re...
thank you very much my good man!! I like that we don't agree on everything but can agree on some. Trust you had a lovely christmas and wishing you an amazing new year.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Dee60: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
hoodboy: Only he who has never lit fireworks is free to cast blames. Accusing the business man of burning the landlord's building, are u trying to say the landlord was not aware that his tenant was into fireworks? Common this is a business that is conducted in the open. Fireworks have always made the season fun, so stop throwing sectional jabs like the entire nation hasn't benefited from fireworks. It is unfortunate what happened, and My condolences go to does who incurred losses, God will provide succor.

You call this fun? I pray you do not witness what those innocent people have witnessed. If you really want to have fun go to an open place like the stadium to throw your fireworks.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Dee60: 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
Symphony007: In a country where jobs are rare why ban the importation of a commodity people use in getting income. Why is'nt it taxed and regulated to specific safe houses where it will be safe from fire. Everybody wins..the importers get their income and the government gets revenue. It's sureal!!

You are possibly very right. The challenge is that there are no such safe places. So, the risk is damn too high. This is not the first time this will happen. I think that until we can do such safe places, this 'dangerous cargo' needs to remain under ban! Let us treat human lives with sanctity. Let us stop wasting lives and property and be queing up to sign condolence for something that can be avoided.

Statistics already show Nigeria as having the highest trauma related deaths in the world! Why add more!
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by miky(m): 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
seunfly: The problem of Nigeria is that everybody want to survive in a very harsh socio-political/economical society with decay check and balance system especialy at the level of corruption perpetuated by our leaders, gives citizens the gut to disregard the laws/rules, value for human life and moral value in as much as he will make money for him to survive. Therefore i will urge gov fash to stop complaining about peaple's reckles behaviors until all our leaders stop their nonsense and sensles attitude toward peaple survival and Nigeria's developments.

In the meanwhile everyone stuff can burn to ash.. Fashola is wasting his time with this fools
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Dec 27, 2012
edo.girl:

Yet, when the government tries to introduce some public safety regulations, e.g ban on Okada (one of the most hazardous human engagements in Lagos)you guys fiercely criticise the government. You can't have it both ways. We are either going to recognise as a people that some activities pose such disproportionate threat to civilised living that they need to be regulated/prohibited, or we continue to exist and live like barbarians on the simplistic basis that we need to make a living at all cost.
In a country where poverty is a legal tender, people are definitely going to complain when the government takes actions that even though will be beneficial in the long run, but will be inimical to the business of the average Nigerian.
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
These Yoruba people resoning dey tire person...

Some of them have even started talking about Lagos Laws and Federal laws as if to say Lagos State laws superceeds Federal laws..

Anyways, here is the simple summary of the issue;

1. Is the sale/ownership of firecrackers illegal in Nigeria (under Federal Laws) or even in Lagos (Under State Laws)?!

NO.

2. Was the fire cracker shop illegally located as stipulated in any Federal Law or Lagos State Law?!

NO.

3. Did the shop violate any known federal or Lagos state laws with regards safety or health harzard?!

NO..

4. So on what basis are these Yoruba people calling for the prosecution of the shop owner?!

Absolutely Nothing but cheap Alomo and Amala induced sentiments..

Case closed...

NEXT CASE!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
geeez:

So a business that has been prohibited by government should be encouraged to thrive because it belongs to an Igboman abi? What makes you think the government of Lagos has not gone after those who own or were involved in the construction of those collapsed buildings? What also makes you think the LASG has not started a clamp down on buses that do not meet the minimum safety requirement for operarting within the metropolis.

These Igbo guys just never cease to amaze me. Almost everything illegal and criminal is perpetrated by them and while only a handful of their governors get to perform, they will ignore them and start taking eye drops for the Yoruba man's conjunctivitis

Funny how the very first line of your post was a lie... I stopped reading after the highlighted portion..

nEXTTT!!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

you of all people - a worker in the oil industry should know better - fireworks are hazardous materials and should not be stored in residential areas.

I absolutely agree with you my brother...........

SADLY!!! Safety only occurs in the Oil and Gas industries..

No real CRIMINAL OFFENCE has been commited here. If the fire cracker that started this fire didnt come from a firecracker shop, it could have been a local kerosene sales point, or a tanker ladened with PMS, or the numerous NNPC pipelines that kriss kross our backyards..

What I am searching for really is the crime of the store owner..
Re: Fashola. Must We Do Every Business?” Lagos Fire. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

the usual - excuse oh, the federal govt is incompetent and kills nigerians daily, its alright for the rest of us to do so. 90% of those issues you have listed are within the purview of the fg s to petrol tankers, you have probably forgotten the numerous face offs lasg has had with tanker driver unions over this very issue - impounding tankers for driving during rush hour

so for you, it is alright for irresponsible businessmen to add their own quota to the danger we are all facing?

are you SURE you work in the oil and gas industry, with such a casual attitude towards accidents

this was an accident waiting to happen - take uncontrolled proliferation of fire works, out of control kids who throw them just about everywhere. .

Dude!! The whole fhucking country is one big accident waiting to happen!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ahmad Lawan, Sultan, Others Attend Independence Jumat Prayer (photos) / Explosions & Gunfire In Nyanya, Damaturu / Buhari Finally Bows To Niger Delta Avengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.