Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car (30634 Views)

Kogi APC In A Joyful Mood As Gov. Wada Win PDP Primary / Femi Akinsanya Walked-out Of Wrecked Plane Before It Caught Fire / Gov Wada Rejects Treatment Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
bobobabe: @ OP, this is not jeep, this is LEXUS SUV.

$90,000 SUV to be precise.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by sugardaddy1(m): 3:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
naptu2: grin after 4 years of waiting I finally get the chance to argue this on nairaland.

Ahem! Jeep is both a generic name and a brand name.

During World War 2 the US Department of Defence invited tenders for a General Purpose vehicle. It was won by a small company (I've forgotten the name). They produced the famous Willy's.

The company was too small to produce the required units of the general purpose vehicle, so the Ford Motor Company (FoMOCO) was also invited to produce general purpose vehicles for the military.

The soldiers shortened general purpose to GP, which later became jeep (in the same way Government Issued became GI).

This was also adopted by the british who produced the famous landrover. The landrover was called a jeep, ie general purpose vehicle. Nigeria was colonised by the british. (A jeep is a sturdy 4wheel drive vehicle, often used by the military).

The small company was eventually absorbed by Chrysler Corporation which has the Jeep Division that produces Jeep branded vehicles (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, etc).

Definition of jeep from the Oxford dictionary
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jeep

SUV is a recent term ('80s onwards).

Thanks.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2012
ZACHIE: It is a jeep.Stop making fools of yourselves

It is not a Jeep. Jeep is a brand of SUV here in the U.S. I don't know why most Nigerians refer to SUVs as jeep.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2012
talktimi: For security reasons peculiar to this country, convoy especially those conveying political appointees are meant to be on high speed but personally I don't think it makes sense driving at such crazy speeds especially with unstable vehicles like SUV's, sedans and sports cars are designed for such speeding purposes. I remember last year when I was invited to join a former governor's convoy to inspect some projects nobody told me before I pulled out of the convoy when my honda pilot started weaving. If we had good roads in this country, most people wldnt need SUV's which as I state again are highly unreliable at breakneck speeds.

The most stable jeep for racing is TOYOTA forerunner. Race with Sequioa at your peril(Sequioas tumble everyday). I dont trust the stability of Lexus SUVs. Toyota Landcruiser and Prado are better than Lexus 470 SUV.

Other good SUVs for racing are LANDROVER and BMW X6. Our politicians oppress other road users with their sirens but they dont know the ratings of the vehicles they drive in.

I have seen brand new cars misbehave on the road where a ''belgium'' car out-performed them.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Pergrace: 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
J12:

In nigeria, JEEP is a general word for SUV.
We wont change anytime soon.

Abeg ,help me tell am ohhh.. grin grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by vislabraye(m): 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
jamace: Is this the bulletproofed jeep? Na wa o! shocked shocked

Bullet prrof aint the same as crash proof
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Pergrace: 3:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
I thought the topic in question was about the crash? why una don turn am to SUV and Jeep. a new thread can be opened on that nah
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
alstacs:

Nigerians don tire me oh. This is a country where all toothpastes are McCleans and all SUVs are JEEPS.
God go help Nigerian English. grin
. Thank you oooo, Where all seasonings are MAGGI, and all noodles are INDOMIE. cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by tiwasiaife(m): 4:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
alstacs:

Nigerians don tire me oh. This is a country where all toothpastes are McCleans and all SUVs are JEEPS.
God go help Nigerian English. grin
And all noodles indomie hahahaha
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by COOLDUN: 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2012
Pergrace:

Abeg ,help me tell am ohhh.. grin grin grin grin

Don’t mind the village headmaster, not only in naija but so many countries use this word jeep for the 4 wheel drive cars.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by COOLDUN: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2012
payless:

It is not a Jeep. Jeep is a brand of SUV here in the U.S. I don't know why most Nigerians refer to SUVs as jeep.

When did the word SUV surfaced? Can you tell us the car that has Jeep as its only name? Am waiting for the answer….
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by johngreggk: 5:20pm On Dec 30, 2012
...WISH HM QUICK RECOVERY
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
Yes there are but the cars are not common.
COOLDUN:

When did the word SUV surfaced? Can you tell us the car that has Jeep as its only name? Am waiting for the answer….
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Caseless: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2012
bobobabe: @ OP, this is not jeep, this is LEXUS SUV.
any suv is jeep in nigeria.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
ZACHIE: It is a jeep.Stop making fools of yourselves

Its an SUV. U r d one making a fool of yourself.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by naptu2: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2012
Jeep (with the first letter capitalised) is a brand name for a particular brand of SUVs.
A jeep (first letter is not capitalised) is a general name for SUVs (eg, a Landrover jeep). The term SUVs only came about from the late 1980s onwards and it is mainly used in North America.

It is correct to write a Toyota jeep, but it is wrong to write a Toyota Jeep.

(See my previous link to the Oxford Dictionary and Wikipedia).
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by vizion: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2012
@all those saying it is right to call the vehicle a Jeep or jeep, kindly note that Toyota that manufactured the car has not, and would not refer to that car as a jeep/Jeep. so can we stop being more catholic than the pope.

all websites i have seen that sells cars do not classify any car as a jeep or Jeep.

Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by naptu2: 7:38pm On Dec 30, 2012
Jeep

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Ten things you didn't know about images on Wikipedia •

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Jeep (disambiguation).

Jeep

Jeep is an automobile marque (and registered trademark) of Chrysler.

Type

Division of Chrysler

Founded

Headquarters

Toledo, Ohio, USA

Industry

Automobile

Products

Sport Utility vehicles

Parent

Chrysler Holding LLC

Website

www.jeep.com

Many people treat the word "jeep" as a generic term and use it uncapitalized for any vehicle of this shape and function: see genericized trademark.

Roads that are only suitable for off-road vehicles are often called jeep trails. The most famous is the Rubicon Trail located near Lake Tahoe in Nevada and in California. The so-called "Jeep Trail Capital of the World" however is Ouray Colorado (that is the Ouray town motto). Ouray serves as a Hub to Mountain Passes such as Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Imogene Pass, and the infamous Black Bear Pass.

Contents

[hide]

1 History

1.1 The origin of the term "jeep"

1.2 The origins of the vehicle: the first jeeps

2 The Jeep marque

3 Jeep History

3.1 Historical models

3.2 Current models

3.3 Concept vehicles

3.4 Special vehicles

4 See also

5 External links

5.1 Official sites

5.2 Other links

6 References

7 Footnotes

History

[edit]

The origin of the term "jeep"

[edit]

There are many stories about where the word "jeep" came from, how it was coined, These, although they make for interesting and memorable stories, are difficult to verify.

Probably the most popular notion has it that the vehicle bore the designation "GP" (for "General Purpose"wink, which was phonetically slurred into the word jeep. R. Lee Ermey, on his television series Mail Call, disputes this, saying that the vehicle was designed for specific duties, was never referred to as "General Purpose," and that the name may have been derived from Ford's nomenclature referring to the vehicle as GP (G for government-use, and P to designate its 80-inch-wheelbase). "General purpose" does appear in connection with the vehicle in the WW2 TM 9-803 manual, which describes the vehicle as "... a general purpose, personnel, or cargo carrier especially adaptable for reconnaissance or command, and designated as ¼-ton 4x4 Truck", and the vehicle is designated a "GP" in TM 9-2800, Standard Military Motor Vehicles, September 1, 1943, but whether the average jeep-driving GI would have been familiar with either of these manuals is open to debate.

This version of the story may be complicated by the name of another series of vehicles with the GP designation. The Electro-Motive Division of General Motors, a maker of railroad locomotives, introduced its "General Purpose" line in 1949, using the GP tag. These locomotives are commonly referred to as Geeps, pronounced the same way as "Jeep".

Many, including Ermey, claim that the likelier origin refers to the character Eugene the Jeep in the Thimble Theater (Popeye) comic strip. Eugene the Jeep was dog-like and could walk through walls and ceilings, climb trees, fly, and just about go anywhere it wanted; it is thought that soldiers at the time were so impressed with the new vehicle's versatility that they informally named it after the character. The character "Eugene the Jeep" was created in 1936.

The term "jeep" was first commonly used during World War I (1914-1918) by soldiers as a slang word for new recruits and for new unproven vehicles. This is according to a history of the vehicle for an issue of the U.S. Army magazine, Quartermaster Review, which was written by Maj. E. P. Hogan. He went on to say that the slang word "jeep" had these definitions as late as the start of World War II.

"Jeep" had been used as the name of a small tractor made by Modine.

The term "jeep" would eventually be used as slang to refer to an airplane, a tractor used for hauling heavy equipment, and an autogyro. When the first models of the jeep came to Camp Holabird for tests, the vehicle did not have a name yet. Therefore the soldiers on the test project called it a jeep. Civilian engineers and test drivers who were at the camp during this time were not aware of the military slang term. They most likely were familiar with the character Eugene the Jeep and thought that Eugene was the origin of the name. The vehicle had many other nicknames at this time such as Peep and Pygmy and Blitz-Buggy, although because of the Eugene association, Jeep stuck in people's minds better than any other term.

Words of the Fighting Forces by Clinton A. Sanders, a dictionary of military slang, published in 1942, in the library at The Pentagon gives this definition:

Jeep: A four-wheel drive car of one-half to one-and-one-half ton capacity for reconnaissance or other army duty. A term applied to the bantam-cars, and occasionally to other motor vehicles (U.S.A.) in the Air Corps, the Link Trainer; in the armored forces, the ½ ton command car. Also referred to as "any small plane, helicopter, or gadget."

Early in 1941, Willys-Overland demonstrated the vehicle's ability by having it drive up the U.S. Capitol steps, driven by Willy's test driver Irving "Red" Haussman, who had recently heard soldiers at Fort Holabird calling it a "jeep". When asked by syndicated columnist Katherine Hillyer for the Washington Daily News (or by a bystander, according to another account) what it was called, Irving answered, "It's a jeep."

Katherine Hillyer's article was published on February 20, 1941 around the nation and included a picture of the vehicle with the caption:

LAWMAKERS TAKE A RIDE- With Senator Meade, of New York, at the wheel, and Representative Thomas, of New Jersey, sitting beside him, one of the Army's new scout cars, known as "jeeps" or "quads," climbs up the Capitol steps in a demonstration yesterday. Soldiers in the rear seat for gunners were unperturbed.

This exposure caused all other jeep references to fade, leaving the 4x4 truck with the name.

Willys-Overland Inc. was later awarded the sole privilege of owning the name "Jeep" as registered trademark, by extension, merely because it originally had offered the most powerful engine.

(Compare "mayhem" and "commando" for words which changed their main meanings because of newspaper misunderstandings.)

http://www.hemetjeepclub.com/Jeephistory/jeephistory.htm
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by bizzle2: 8:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
J12:

Land cruiser, Highlander, Hummer, Pathfinder, Mercedes ML and GL, Lexus Rx, Ford Expedition etc

most of the abovementioned are models, not brands...for eg Toyota is a brand, while forerunner, Landcruiser,highlander, sequia etc are its SUV Models)
and Just like Toyota, Mercedes or Ford, Jeep is a registered brand name, popular for making military style Utility Vehicles back in the days and has quite a number of models ...Jeep compass, Jeep grand cherokee, Jeep patriot, Jeep wrangler, Jeep wrangler unlimited etc the list goes on

The Jeep brand

The brand has gone through many owners, starting with Willys, which produced the first Civilian Jeep (CJ) in 1945 and who were the first granted the trademark in 1950. Willys was sold to Kaiser Motors in 1953, which became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. American Motors Corporation (AMC) purchased Kaiser's money-losing Jeep operations in 1970. The utility vehicles complemented AMC's passenger car business by sharing components, achieving volume efficiencies, as well as capitalizing on Jeep's international and government markets.

The French automaker Renault began investing in AMC in 1979. However, by 1987, the automobile markets had changed and even Renault itself was experiencing financial troubles. At the same time, Chrysler Corporation wanted to capture the Jeep brand, as well as other assets of AMC. Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, shortly after the Jeep CJ-7 was replaced with the AMC-designed Jeep Wrangler or YJ. Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998 to form DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler eventually sold most of their interest in Chrysler to a private equity company in 2007. Chrysler and the Jeep division now operate under the name Chrysler Group LLC.

Jeeps have been built under licence by various manufacturers around the world including Mahindra in India, EBRO in Spain, and several in South America. Mitsubishi built more than 30 different Jeep models in Japan between 1953 and 1998. Most of them were based on the CJ-3B model of the original Willys-Kaiser design.[21]

Toledo, Ohio has been the headquarters of the Jeep marque since its inception, and the city has always been proud of this heritage. Although no longer produced in the same Toledo Complex as the World War II originals, two streets in the vicinity of the old plant are named Willys Parkway and Jeep Parkway.

American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984.[22] The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. The original 1984 XJ model was updated and called the "Jeep 2500" toward the end of its production that ended after 2005.[23]

A division of Chrysler Group LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by pitoski(m): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
wow. dis is a fatal accident. We thank God he survived it.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by FOLLEY20(m): 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2012
Osiris.211:
From Yahoo.

Nice search.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by IYANGBALI: 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2012
ogasir2011:

Please what is the diffrence Jeep and SUV?
jeep is a car while suv is a trailer
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 30, 2012
Negro_Ntns: nigerians are full of buwlshyyt, i tell ya!

before google or wiki, nigerians were driving land rovers (made by Leyland and with jerry can hatch in back), land cruisers (back when it was datsun).....

sport utility vehicle is a hollywood stage name for off-road four wheel drive. Thats what Jeep is! my God! ....we take education do reverse some time for this country.

Your post is an irony of irony.

Datsun never made Land Cruisers as this is a Toyota model name.

Datsun made Patrols.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by dgysoft(m): 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
ijigbamigb: I read somewhere that the driver was killed instantly.
No read again I beg
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by bokohalal1: 1:55am On Dec 31, 2012
For years now, in conversations, I prefer to use "SUV" rather than "jeep" to distinguish between the Jeep trademark and the vehicle class. In Naija, we colloquially refer to all SUVs as jeeps Which doesn't seem to be entirely out of place based on what Merriam Webster dictionary informed me as definitions for jeep and Jeep(See images below).

Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 7:46am On Dec 31, 2012
okpara ugo:

The most stable jeep for racing is TOYOTA forerunner. Race with Sequioa at your peril(Sequioas tumble everyday). I dont trust the stability of Lexus SUVs. Toyota Landcruiser and Prado are better than Lexus 470 SUV.

Other good SUVs for racing are LANDROVER and BMW X6. Our politicians oppress other road users with their sirens but they dont know the ratings of the vehicles they drive in.

I have seen brand new cars misbehave on the road where a ''belgium'' car out-performed them.

Dude, what's up with ur post?
Most of the vehicles U̶̲̥̅̊ listed are 'body-on-frame' SUVs- with truck like handling. SUVs in general have stability issues due to their high centre of gravity and are not SUITABLE for racing. The 4runner's platform is shared with the lexus GX and landcruiser prado (the GX is basically a dressed up prado with an upscale interior and a V8 engine)- the handling dynamics of these 3 are similar. The sequoia is based on the tundra pick-up.. SUVs with Unibody construction have better handling dynamics because their platforms are car-based. E.g porsche cayenne,vw touareg,bmw X5s/X6s.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Revolva(m): 8:56am On Dec 31, 2012
I have surely learnt a lot here - I will no longer call any SUV vehichle jeep again - never knew jeep was a brand on its own just like lexus, toyota , na wa o we nigerians sabi give wrong names
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 31, 2012
boko_halal: For years now, in conversations, I prefer to use "SUV" rather than "jeep" to distinguish between the Jeep trademark and the vehicle class. In Naija, we colloquially refer to all SUVs as jeeps Which doesn't seem to be entirely out of place based on what Merriam Webster dictionary informed me as definitions for jeep and Jeep(See images below).

That is the key word that should end the debate. "jeep" is a colloquial term, and can only be used loosely and informally. It would never be acceptable for strict/formal usage, which is why you would never see, for instance, Toyota refer to any of its SUV models as a jeep.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by ogaisaac(m): 2:05pm On Dec 31, 2012
Am stil wonderin y northern govs ar into acidental misarb
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by ahmedgafar7(m): 7:49pm On Jan 01, 2013
boko_halal: For years now, in conversations, I prefer to use "SUV" rather than "jeep" to distinguish between the Jeep trademark and the vehicle class. In Naija, we colloquially refer to all SUVs as jeeps Which doesn't seem to be entirely out of place based on what Merriam Webster dictionary informed me as definitions for jeep and Jeep(See images below).
pls where did did you get that Websters
Dictionary from ȋ̝̊̅§ it an application from your android
Or ios device or what ?
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by bokohalal1: 1:07am On Jan 02, 2013
ahmedgafar7: pls where did did you get that Websters
Dictionary from ȋ̝̊̅§ it an application from your android
Or ios device or what ?

The dictionary is an application from Playstore; device is a Samsung tablet and OS is Android.
Re: Picture Of Gov. Wada's Wrecked Car by ahmedgafar7(m): 9:43am On Jan 09, 2013
boko_halal:

The dictionary is an application from Playstore; device is a Samsung tablet and OS is Android.
can you tell M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ the complete name of. The dictionary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Military Seize Food, Logistics Meant For Boko Haram / Obasanjo Awarded $841.6m Rail Project Without Mou –chinese Firm / See The Items Recovered From Boko Haram Suspect Linked To Attacks In Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.