Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life (12361 Views)

I Suffered In My Marriage But Am A Survivor / A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome / I F Divorce Is So Traumatic: Why Go Through It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 8:00am On Dec 30, 2012
A traumatic event involves a single experience or repeating events that totally overwhelm the individual ability to cope with the circumstance. An experience or trauma that left you feeling hurt,demoralised or depressed perhaps even altering your perception of life and humanity.
The trauma could be physical such as an injury, illness or immense pain resulting from domestic or vehicle accident.
Or the trauma could be psychological/emotional such as undergoing a very scary/horror/frightening ordeal,being victim of sexual abuse,child abuse, verbal abuse,domestic violence,bullying, witnessing loss of a valuable property or a loved one either through death,betrayal or heartbreak.
Some of these trauma leave marks in us that make be difficult to forget resulting to flashbacks,nightmares or hallucinations. They might lower our esteem,make us paranoid,cynical and pessimistic.

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by k2039: 8:11am On Dec 30, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]The day my Industrial Training was disaproved, a big set back. [/color]
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by RoyalRoy(m): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]The day my Industrial Training was disaproved, a big set back. [/color]

Happy birthday dude.....wishing you more wisdom and knowledge in life! Cheers..

4 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by RoyalRoy(m): 8:43am On Dec 30, 2012
The most traumatic day of my life was the day someone I loved deeply called me a foool and a bastard all in one breadth!! I felt like killing someone, even though she begged with tears and tried to make ammends, my mind was off her already. 3 weeks later we parted ways. Just can't stand calling or being called a bastard.

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 8:53am On Dec 30, 2012
Mine is breaking my foot. It was a real sad day for me. This was in campus hostel. One night i was awaken from a dream by students screaming 'fire!,fire!! everybody run!!!' and unconsciously i,jumped out of bed, unlocked the door,dashed out of the room. My room was on the first floor and not minding the staircase farther away, i like other students due to adrenaline rush jumped directly to the ground from the first floor.
But unfortunately, i didn't land well, i landed poorly on my right foot and having just woken up from such a deep sleep, an energy depraved body couldn't withstand having its whole weight thrown on a single foot.
My right foot gave up immediately,slipped and i came crashing down, slamming my back onto the ground with a thud.
For a moment, perhaps for the first time ever i felt paralysed,engulfed in an intense extruciating pain all over my body. My waist twisted,nearly snapped and my foot was broken. I was motionless and dumb for a few minutes, lying still on the ground as guys rush forward to inspect me.
I managed to sit up after a while and was later helped to the sick bay cos i couldn't walk.
I admit i commited a huge blunder of not looking b4 i lept that night and beside enduring pain for a whole week with only one useful foot and lying in bed filled with grief and regret for my carelessness i had to go through the whole misery all alone as i could tell no one my terrible predicament.

3 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 8:58am On Dec 30, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]The day my Industrial Training was disaproved, a big set back. [/color]
That was unfortunate. Must have cost you an extra year if i guessed right.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 9:04am On Dec 30, 2012
Royal Roy: The most traumatic day of my life was the day someone I loved deeply called me a foool and a bastard all in one breadth!! I felt like killing someone, even though she begged with tears and tried to make ammends, my mind was off her already. 3 weeks later we parted ways. Just can't stand calling or being called a bastard.
Man u really felt that insult. You must have been taken aback to hear such unfriendly words although not judging u, i can't believe u found that traumatising

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 9:04am On Dec 30, 2012
Royal Roy: The most traumatic day of my life was the day someone I loved deeply called me a foool and a bastard all in one breadth!! I felt like killing someone, even though she begged with tears and tried to make ammends, my mind was off her already. 3 weeks later we parted ways. Just can't stand calling or being called a bastard.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by k2039: 9:15am On Dec 30, 2012
usermane:
That was unfortunate. Must have cost you an extra year if i guessed right.

[color=soyouquotedme]Extra months(maximum of five), I'm allowed to go for it immediately after my final paper in final year.

@Royal Roy, thanks.
[/color]
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 30, 2012
Mine was watching my mother die.

June 30, 2010.

That day, that moment, and that experience I can never forget.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 10:03am On Dec 30, 2012
virtuoso01: Mine was watching my mother die.

June 30, 2010.

That day, that moment, and that experience I can never forget.
Aww sorry to remind you of that fateful day.
I believe the death of a parent or sibling is one of the most traumatic event a person can undergo evn worse is when u have to watch them die in your presence.
We all know we 'll lose them one day, we just nvr want to believe that day is around the corner. It is just a constraint of ours that can nvr be fixed.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2012
Hey, common folks you don't have anything to share?, evn being robbed at gunpoint is a an xperience or perhaps nearly drowning in a river or pool.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by moonbaby(f): 11:47am On Dec 30, 2012
I have three if I'm permitted cheesy

The first one, when I was about 10yrs of age, my mom was tidying up the house so she had loads of papers to burn. She was already burning some garbage at our backyard so I thought. I should help my mom out o, I carried the bin full of papers and headed towards our backyard. My two little sisters decided to follow me. On getting to where the fire was burning, I poured all the papers on the fire, instead of us to go back upstairs jejenly grin one of my little sister saw a can of raid and we thought it would be nice to burn it.

Oh boy, as my sister threw the raid can in the fire, we didn't know what to expect so I and my immediate sister stood right beside the fire, the little one that threw the can bent near the fire watching excitedly. The next minute we heard a very loud b.ang, the fire went all over the place and all I saw was my little sister rubbing her belly. My mom quickly rushed downstairs and grabbed her, put her inside cold water. There were already loads of people from houses away in our house as they didn't know what caused the loud b.ang.

I and my immediate sister were very lucky but my little sister suffered the most as after 30minutes of getting over the shock I saw my little sister's belly all roasted. My mom quickly rushed her to the hospital after treating her at home. Till date she still has that skin discolouration sad

It's not obvious to see but if you really stare at her belly people can see her skin colour is not even.

The second event, I was 15yrs of age, my mom came from abroad to take I and my siblings with her to the UK. My uncle had already finished our passport application so all the embassy wanted was for my mom to appear in person to be interviewed before releasing the passports.

So my mom, my big huge uncle, his wife and myself all went to the embassy. We decided not to take our car that day. After getting all the passports and the necessary documents, we were all excited. We took a bus, on the way the bus developed fault and everybody had to get off and find other means of transportation. This area was very quiet with bushes on both right and left side of the road.

We started walking quickly in order to get to the next available bus stop. My uncle's wife then sad she wants to pee, my uncle said not in this area that it's very dangerous. But she insisted, she was carrying ghana must go bag in her arm with some of our documents. As she was peeing, I saw a guy jumping in the bush so I alerted my mom and uncle. By the time we were ready to start going, 1 guy came out from the bush with knife in his hand, the guy attacked my uncle's wife coz of the big bag she was carrying, he used the knife to tear apart the ghana must go bag and all our passports and documents went flying on the road, my uncle went after this guy took him up and slammed him on the floor. The guy ran into the bush.

As my uncle's wife was still shouting, my mom quickly ran after all the documents, gathered them together and this second guy came to my mom after realising there isn't any money in the bag my uncle's wife was carrying. As this guy attacked my mom's handbag, my mom sat on our documents while trying to fight this guy off her hang bag. The main passports were in my mom's hand bag. The guy knew my mom wasn't letting go of her bag so he started using knife to cut the handbag handle not knowing he was cutting my mom's finger at the same time but oh no my mom refused to let go o..that's when my uncle came on to the back of this guy, slammed him on the floor also and he ran into the bush.

We helped my mom up with her clothes in blood and we decided to start running. Fortunately a car came along and gave us lift to the nearest bus stop. On getting home, everybody at home were shocked. I remembered one of my uncles saying mummy, dont ever do that again o attacking thieves like that, then my mom replied him saying, you want me to let go of my children's documents no way....awwww I love her... kiss she was then taken to the hospital that night to stitch her finger cry.....

Final one was when I lost my dad, it was a painful experience as our mom was abroad then and we were small then cry..we all had to move in with our uncle then before our mom came to take everyone one of us to UK....I still wish he is here with us today now that my wedding is near cry cry cry

10 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
moonbaby: I have three if I'm permitted cheesy

The first one, when I was about 10yrs of age, my mom was tidying up the house so she had loads of papers to burn. She was already burning some garbage at our backyard so I thought. I should help my mom out o, I carried the bin full of papers and headed towards our backyard. My two little sisters decided to follow me. On getting to where the fire was burning, I poured all the papers on the fire, instead of us to go back upstairs jejenly grin one of my little sister saw a can of raid and we thought it would be nice to burn it.

Oh boy, as my sister threw the raid can in the fire, we didn't know what to expect so I and my immediate sister stood right beside the fire, the little one that threw the can bent near the fire watching excitedly. The next minute we heard a very loud b.ang, the fire went all over the place and all I saw was my little sister rubbing her belly. My mom quickly rushed downstairs and grabbed her, put her inside cold water. There were already loads of people from houses away in our house as they didn't know what caused the loud b.ang.

I and my immediate sister were very lucky but my little sister suffered the most as after 30minutes of getting over the shock I saw my little sister's belly all roasted. My mom quickly rushed her to the hospital after treating her at home. Till date she still has that skin discolouration sad

It's not obvious to see but if you really stare at her belly people can see her skin colour is not even.

The second event, I was 15yrs of age, my mom came from abroad to take I and my siblings with her to the UK. My uncle had already finished our passport application so all the embassy wanted was for my mom to appear in person to be interviewed before releasing the passports.

So my mom, my big huge uncle, his wife and myself all went to the embassy. We decided not to take our car that day. After getting all the passports and the necessary documents, we were all excited. We took a bus, on the way the bus developed fault and everybody had to get off and find other means of transportation. This area was very quiet with bushes on both right and left side of the road.

We started walking quickly in order to get to the next available bus stop. My uncle's wife then sad she wants to pee, my uncle said not in this area that it's very dangerous. But she insisted, she was carrying ghana must go bag in her arm with some of our documents. As she was peeing, I saw a guy jumping in the bush so I alerted my mom and uncle. By the time we were ready to start going, 1 guy came out from the bush with knife in his hand, the guy attacked my uncle's wife coz of the big bag she was carrying, he used the knife to tear apart the ghana must go bag and all our passports and documents went flying on the road, my uncle went after this guy took him up and slammed him on the floor. The guy ran into the bush.

As my uncle's wife was still shouting, my mom quickly ran after all the documents, gathered them together and this second guy came to my mom after realising there isn't any money in the bag my uncle's wife was carrying. As this guy attacked my mom's handbag, my mom sat on our documents while trying to fight this guy off her hang bag. The main passports were in my mom's hand bag. The guy knew my mom wasn't letting go of her bag so he started using knife to cut the handbag handle not knowing he was cutting my mom's finger at the same time but oh no my mom refused to let go o..that's when my uncle came on to the back of this guy, slammed him on the floor also and he ran into the bush.

We helped my mom up with her clothes in blood and we decided to start running. Fortunately a car came along and gave us lift to the nearest bus stop. On getting home, everybody at home were shocked. I remembered one of my uncles saying mummy, dont ever do that again o attacking thieves like that, then my mom replied him saying, you want me to let go of my children's documents no way....awwww I love her... kiss she was then taken to the hospital that night to stitch her finger cry.....

Final one was when I lost my dad, it was a painful experience as our mom was abroad then and we were small then cry..we all had to move in with our uncle then before our mom came to take everyone one of us to UK....I still wish he is here with us today now that my wedding is near cry cry cry
Quite unfortunate. I thought only batteries explode on fire but today i 've learnt from your xperience that insecticide do.
Also my mom don't allow us taking much liquid prior or during a journey cos stopping to urinate is risky especially when u stop on xpressway,just in case out of luck, better to be safe than sorry,it might just not be your day.
Am sorry for your dad 's departure and congrats for getting ready to tie the knot
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by moonbaby(f): 1:02pm On Dec 30, 2012
usermane:
Quite unfortunate. I thought only batteries explode on fire but today i 've learnt from your xperience that insecticide do.
Also my mom don't allow us taking much liquid prior or during a journey cos stopping to urinate is risky especially when u stop on xpressway,just in case out of luck, better to be safe than sorry,it might just not be your day.
Am sorry for your dad 's departure and congrats for getting ready to tie the knot

@ Usermane,

Any pressurised can will explode in contact with fire that's why it is always written on most pressurised cans to be kept away from any sources of ignition as they can be extremely flammable.

I only wish I knew then but was too young then cheesy

Thanks kiss
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by RoyalRoy(m): 1:41pm On Dec 30, 2012
usermane:
Man u really felt that insult. You must have been taken aback to hear such unfriendly words although not judging u, i can't believe u found that traumatising

Yes I felt super surprised she called me that, just because of an argument. I don't know something about that word bastard I just find it too offensive and traumatic to call someone or be called such.

My next traumatic experience was when I was growing up in the secondary school. I had a school son in the hostel who was always tagging along with me to town....which was illegal....and through the fence. It so happened that after I had left the school, about 4yrs later when he was just in SS 1, he was shot by night guards outside the school fence who assumed he was a thief for climbing a fence at night!! His legs are not equal till today. Each time I see him with his limp, I feel terrible, cos I believed I taught him how to steal out of school to buy some nonsense food in town. Now I always try avoiding him. So painful.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2012
Royal Roy:

Yes I felt super surprised she called me that, just because of an argument. I don't know something about that word bastard I just find it too offensive and traumatic to call someone or be called such.

My next traumatic experience was when I was growing up in the secondary school. I had a school son in the hostel who was always tagging along with me to town....which was illegal....and through the fence. It so happened that after I had left the school, about 4yrs later when he was just in SS 1, he was shot by night guards outside the school fence who assumed he was a thief for climbing a fence at night!! His legs are not equal till today. Each time I see him with his limp, I feel terrible, cos I believed I taught him how to steal out of school to buy some nonsense food in town. Now I always try avoiding him. So painful.
Oow, that was indeed very tragic and i know its something u can hardly make up for him. U dragged him into his current state and even though he hold nothing against u,you can hardly forgive yourself for his misfortune.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
After my first IVF, I could have sworn I was pregnant, felt all the signs and symptoms, even had a home Pregnancy Test turn positive, I tried hard to contain my excitement, the Doctor said I should be patient that such signs were common but I was too high in happiness and felt he was being a kill joy.
Anyway, when it was time for my monthly period It was late ffor a day and I had another home test, still positive broke the news to my ex while we were celebrating I felt something between my legs, went to the toilet that was the most heart breaking sight I ever had in my life, the sight of blood, I wasn't pregnant after all. It was as if I was stabbed in my heart.
I feel into depression, cried for days asked God why?
Looking back now I can ssee that all things indeed work together for good, I merely waanted a child for the wrong reasons; to "show" people, to heal a broken marriage, to keep my husband, if I had a child then my life will be so different now. So in everything give thanks, God has much bigger plans for us than we can ever have for ourselves.

22 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 2:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
How about a period in your life that was full of worries,stress,trials and tribulations seeming to last for eternity and u hardly believed u would ever overcome?
A troubled childhood,trouble teenage or marital life are some few of d traumatic line up of events people like u and me out there are buried in.
Even the embarrasment of we sometimes endure in office,assembly hall or classroom could leave a person scarred for a long time.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
My mum contrubuting to my loss of admission was the most truamatic experience I ever had.She hated the course I wanted to read,so she denied me access to funds.I had to loose the admission because I couldn't pay the acceptance fee.I met my amazing hubby while seeking a new admission in another school to read the same course my mum hated.This time,My admission was stress free and mum was more than willing to dole out cash for everything I needed to be in a higher instution.God only wanted me to meet my hubby,thus he used my mum.I was heartbroken then but am glad with the outcome of my heartbreak.

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by weaseloo: 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ha
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by aniffy4eva(m): 1:09am On Dec 31, 2012
The day i carried the lifeless body of my daughter.
Something in me died that day - i still can't place a finger on it -

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 5:34am On Dec 31, 2012
aniffy4eva: The day i carried the lifeless body of my daughter.
Something in me died that day - i still can't place a finger on it -
Am sorry to hear that. But was she a baby or grow up?, i mean her age.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 5:39am On Dec 31, 2012
byvan: My mum contrubuting to my loss of admission was the most truamatic experience I ever had.She hated the course I wanted to read,so she denied me access to funds.I had to loose the admission because I couldn't pay the acceptance fee.I met my amazing hubby while seeking a new admission in another school to read the same course my mum hated.This time,My admission was stress free and mum was more than willing to dole out cash for everything I needed to be in a higher instution.God only wanted me to meet my hubby,thus he used my mum.I was heartbroken then but am glad with the outcome of my heartbreak.
Pls what course was that?
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by poshest(f): 7:46am On Dec 31, 2012

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by usermane(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2012
poshest: Mine was when I lost my dad ten years ago,a year later I lost my immediate elder sister and my uncle. It was as if God was not existing. It was a real traumatic experience. cry my mum almost lost her mind. I really felt for her.
3 heavy blows within a short time spans could be difficult for one person to stomach,but am glad u were able to get over it.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Callotti: 7:57am On Dec 31, 2012
Poor pain management after surgery! kiss

1 Like

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 31, 2012
Nothing as traumatic as under GEJ government. Seriously, this is more painful and traumatic than the surgery I had under Abacha's regime. Abacha was understandable as no one voted for him, so we had less expectations but GEJ, WE VOTED FOR.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
My most traumatic situation was when i underwent 52 dialysis in a nigeria,where mode of vascular access is the painful and frequent femoral catheterization and veno puncture,its very sad remembering those days laying for morethan 4 hourz thrice a week to undergo a renal dialysis.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by alaoeri: 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
The day my trouser torn seriously on a bike on my way to a very important place almost at the venue. cheesy
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mine, was when i and my sisters woke up in the morning to find out that our dear father was dead.He died in his sleep!That day i'll never forget.
Re: The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life by Hailedin9ja: 12:13pm On Dec 31, 2012
Still thinking. Will be back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Need A Healthy Female Ready To Raise A Kid / Most Women Respect Spiritual Leaders Than Their Husband - Bamisepeter's Blog / Cooking Beans For Twins (ewa Ibeji)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.