Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (660907 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2015
halmat:

And sorry for my interference.

Who really learned java and can you state the language sequence for a beginner heading to desktop and mobile app development to follow. Mobile app to be precise

java is essential for mobile app development but definitely not the first language to learn as a beginner.....

I believe the programming sequence for an absolute beginner who wants to go into mobile app development is to:

pick up C++ and learn its fundamentals. Then switch over to java, learn its fundamentals and then move into android app development (mind you that android programming is not pure java)

you can also develop android apps with C++ by leveraging the powers of the NDK and JNI.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by deondazy(m): 12:10am On Sep 23, 2015
For those who wanna learn web development see
http://www.tutsdose.com/how-to-get-started-in-web-development/
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by maria008: 6:46pm On Sep 23, 2015
I think you should start from HTML, CSS and PHP if you want to be a web developer and want to learn how to make a website. Otherwise start from the C language it helps you to learn the basics of coding.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bchi(f): 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2015
please how can going into learning programming language without having a laptop?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ugmayor: 2:15pm On Sep 24, 2015
I DON'T think HTML, JAVASCRIPT is a programming language. I think is a scripting language.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2015
Ugmayor:
I DON'T think HTML, JAVASCRIPT is a programming language. I think is a scripting language.[color=#006600][/color]

HTML may not be a programming lang, but javascript is a full fledged object oriented programming language with various flavors like jquery/ajax, node.js, backbone.js, etc and used in web development, games development and mobile app development. You certainly cannot deny the fact that javascript is a programming language.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Vertch: 10:27pm On Sep 24, 2015
Lets Discuss: The Gehn Gehn Album by Orezi- Vertch #StartSharing http://vertch.com/forums/topic/lets-discuss-the-gehn-gehn-album-by-orezi/ ::: Join the forum for entertainers now :::
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 11:44pm On Sep 24, 2015
basbone:

java is essential for mobile app development but definitely not the first language to learn as a beginner.....

I believe the programming sequence for an absolute beginner who wants to go into mobile app development is to:

pick up C++ and learn its fundamentals. Then switch over to java, learn its fundamentals and then move into android app development (mind you that android programming is not pure java)

you can also develop android apps with C++ by leveraging the powers of the NDK and JNI.
Pls stop being sentimental.
You say java is hard and then you tell a complete beginner to pick up c++ which in a few months he will hate programming.
Who tells you programmers that if you don't learn c++ you can't be a good programmer. Pls stop all this propaganda. Java is hard but c++ is harder and even the so called experienced c++ programmers never fully master that annoying language. The only reason it is still in existence is because if it's speed.
Do you think that if other languages like c# , java , Python were faster than c++ in every aspect people would not drop c++ in a heart beat.
I repeat c++ is not a good language for a beginner anybody saying so does not like you at all.
The new languages we have now a days have cleaned up the many issues with c++ and now one can focus on being productive and learn how to code instead of wasting time debugging unnecessarily in c++ by which time your coding skills would have dried up.
Look you can pick up java, c#, python etc... The most important thing is to understand the principles behind programming.the language is just a tool but most importantly this languages help make programming fun and pleasurable and Alps focuses on improving your productivity by making you focus on learning how to code and not wasting time debugging for nothing.
I am currently learning c# and it is my first language and yes even with the OOP I am enjoying my journey because I am not just learning the language I am also learning programming principles along with the language which will make me productive and a better programmer.
The key thing here is patience dedication and hardworking it does not matter the language.
C++ kor c++ ni......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 25, 2015
mexzony:

Pls stop being sentimental.
You say java is hard and then you tell a complete beginner to pick up c++ which in a few months he will hate programming.
Who tells you programmers that if you don't learn c++ you can't be a good programmer. Pls stop all this propaganda. Java is hard but c++ is harder and even the so called experienced c++ programmers never fully master that annoying language. The only reason it is still in existence is because if it's speed.
Do you think that if other languages like c# , java , Python were faster than c++ in every aspect people would not drop c++ in a heart beat.
I repeat c++ is not a good language for a beginner anybody saying so does not like you at all.
The new languages we have now a days have cleaned up the many issues with c++ and now one can focus on being productive and learn how to code instead of wasting time debugging unnecessarily in c++ by which time your coding skills would have dried up.
Look you can pick up java, c#, python etc... The most important thing is to understand the principles behind programming.the language is just a tool but most importantly this languages help make programming fun and pleasurable and Alps focuses on improving your productivity by making you focus on learning how to code and not wasting time debugging for nothing.
I am currently learning c# and it is my first language and yes even with the OOP I am enjoying my journey because I am not just learning the language I am also learning programming principles along with the language which will make me productive and a better programmer.
The key thing here is patience dedication and hardworking it does not matter the language.
C++ kor c++ ni......

dont get furious that i recommended c++ to an absolute beginner wanting to learn mobile app development.........you might have had bad experience with c++ but thats normal........so deal with it than yelling nonesense. I would personally recommend c++ to any beginner going into mobile app development. Goodluck with whatever language you think best for a start in mobile programming.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 9:08am On Sep 25, 2015
basbone:

dont get furious that i recommended c++ to an absolute beginner wanting to learn mobile app development.........you might have had bad experience with c++ but thats normal........so deal with it than yelling nonesense. I would personally recommend c++ to any beginner going into mobile app development. Goodluck with whatever language you think best for a start in mobile programming.
Hello
I am sorry I may have been a bit too emotional.I know you were just trying to advice him from your own honest point of view. I am so so sorry.
Its just that, that language get as e be grin grin
Bro no vex.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
mexzony:

Hello
I am sorry I may have been a bit too emotional.I know you were just trying to advice him from your own honest point of view. I am so so sorry.
Its just that, that language get as e be grin grin
Bro no vex.

i'm happy you now understand my viewpoint.......that i was not being sentimental. That i gave that advice IMHO. And by the way, i'm not upset bro.......one love.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by onlyforchrist: 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
how about learning Ruby as the first programming language? your opinion please. thank you.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Jobs012(m): 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
What is the best way to learn PHP?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by jessetom(m): 5:54pm On Oct 01, 2015
Good day Everyond. I am a 200l Chemical Engineering student in a Federal University. I had the interest to design a device that will sense some physical, chemical and biological changes in the body and my friend in EE said I need to know about embedded system and for the device to detect those changes, I will need to learn a programing language so I can impute the instructions to a microcontroller that will give me feedback on a GUI or something(Dont really know bout these technical stuff)

So, I wanna know which programming language to learn so as to achive this feat.
Thank you'll for your response.

P.S: I have BASIC exposure to C programming.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 9:21am On Oct 02, 2015
jessetom:
Good day Everyond. I am a 200l Chemical Engineering student in a Federal University. I had the interest to design a device that will sense some physical, chemical and biological changes in the body and my friend in EE said I need to know about embedded system and for the device to detect those changes, I will need to learn a programing language so I can impute the instructions to a microcontroller that will give me feedback on a GUI or something(Dont really know bout these technical stuff)

So, I wanna know which programming language to learn so as to achive this feat.
Thank you'll for your response.

P.S: I have BASIC exposure to C programming.
Since iya embedded programming then C/C++
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Meklex(m): 10:24pm On Oct 02, 2015
bchi:
please how can going into learning programming language without having a laptop?
you can do much more with your android phone since you currently don't have a lappy.
For Java download 'AIDE' it will help you learn interactively and also to code both pure java codes and Android development.

For python download 'Qpython'

For c++ download 'cppdroid' or 'c4droid'.

All these apps can be gotten from play store...... Happy coding

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LORDDICE(m): 11:51pm On Oct 05, 2015
ibnquasale:

U will surely enjoy python. I have plenty ebooks and videos that can be of help. I can help u with links on where to download ursef, or give u if u stay not too far from me

Used to do other languages... Now all I do is sql, plsql, python...
pls i think i'l need d ebooks too
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Supermiy: 1:49pm On Oct 06, 2015
maria008:
I think you should start from HTML, CSS and PHP if you want to be a web developer and want to learn how to make a website. Otherwise start from the C language it helps you to learn the basics of coding.
i don't agree with you....Python is the best for newbies...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ignaz(m): 5:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
i'm learning python from code academy and almost through with it. can anyone suggest a similar language to python? or any language that can act as an alternative and does exactly what python does? i'd gladly accept your opinions
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ibnquasale(m): 1:23am On Oct 07, 2015
LORDDICE:
pls i think i'l need d ebooks too

how do you intend to get them?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LORDDICE(m): 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2015
ibnquasale:

how do you intend to get them?
quite a number of ways:you could share d link or send d link 2 my e_mail, or stil, if u are using ur p.c u can can compress d book(s) nd e-mail dem 2 me, ericdachung@gmail.com cool
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by pumpin26: 5:31pm On Oct 07, 2015
python guru urgently needed!!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 8:57pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hello all,
Please can someone give me a link where I can download cracked PHP software.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 9:00pm On Oct 10, 2015
Meklex:
you can do much more with your android phone since you currently don't have a lappy.
For Java download 'AIDE' it will help you learn interactively and also to code both pure java codes and Android development.

For python download 'Qpython'

For c++ download 'cppdroid' or 'c4droid'.

All these apps can be gotten from play store...... Happy coding
Can one use php on android phone?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Meklex(m): 9:58am On Oct 11, 2015
Dlee1:

Can one use php on android phone?
I started with php on my android.
Download androphp or phprunner(they act as a xampp server)
Download droidedit(to type in your codes, it has syntax highlighting) cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.