Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,500 members, 7,954,918 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (684564 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dumken(m): 7:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
mexzony:

Who says you need to learn C to appreciate other languages. That is a fallacy that has been going around for a long while.
Productivity in that language is low compared to newer languages.
And yes its so time consuming a beginner might just get disillusioned.
As for me its a no no to C or C++.
I wasn't sleeping when I wrote that. I've got experience in d two I compared. When u learn start from the basics.
C makes u flexible and by saying it's a fallacy, it's ur own opinion.
Productivity being low gives u a chance to make ur own changes and discovery.
Don't always go with easy things especially in tech. It makes you a slave.
QUOTE ME ANY WHERE.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 8:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
Meklex:
I started with php on my android.
Download androphp or phprunner(they act as a xampp server)
Download droidedit(to type in your codes, it has syntax highlighting) cheers
Hello Meklex,
thanks for your reply. Since androphp and phprunner are not offline usable, I think I will still hold on for now. I'm still learning with HTML.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Meklex(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
Dlee1:

Hello Meklex,
thanks for your reply. Since androphp and phprunner are not offline usable, I think I will still hold on for now. I'm still learning with HTML.
they are offline
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 11:01pm On Oct 11, 2015
Meklex:
they are offline
Really? I like this. I will download them right away, thanks so much.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 7:16am On Oct 12, 2015
Good morning Meklex,
I have downloaded those apps... awesome. Here are the screenshots. Once again, thank you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Meklex(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2015
Dlee1:
Good morning Meklex,
I have downloaded those apps... awesome. Here are the screenshots. Once again, thank you.
you're welcome
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by fsho(m): 5:49pm On Oct 12, 2015
Your best bet is C programming language. Gives you the basics and yet very powerful for advanced programming
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 7:01pm On Oct 12, 2015
Dumken:

I wasn't sleeping when I wrote that. I've got experience in d two I compared. When u learn start from the basics.
QUOTE ME ANY WHERE.
I get what you are saying but I still insist it does not matter whether you learn C as a first.it is just what has been going around for a long time.
Any of the common popular languages in use today can be picked up and you would still understand programming principles.
C came before the rest so what every new beginner must learn it to understand programming that is never true.
Regards
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
C is often recommended as a starting point for familiarity purposes. This is because C is under the hood of most modern programming languages. Some also claim that learning C also helps teach someone how to program (or think like a programmer), rather than just how to write code.

C exposes someone to some of the more lower-level aspects of programming, which will inevitably be useful if the individual wishes to pursue programming in depth for whatever reason.

I actually would recommend at least a few weeks getting to know the basics of a C program. It then becomes easy to extrapolate the knowledge to other languages.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 12:05am On Oct 13, 2015
If anyone says that C, C++, FORTRAN are boring langs, tell 'em they're either ignorant or silly bigot.
1. Many OS now are days are written in combination of ASM, C and C++.
2. Java, Python, PHP and their families are implemented in C and C++.
3. Facebook and Google Search are both Product of C++.
4. Firefox, Opera, GC... Are cpp.
5. No one want to code sth like fighter jet nav sys in Java.

POINT NO 2 SHLD BE ENOUGH FOR THE REASONABLE.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 12:11am On Oct 13, 2015
Dumken:

QUOTE ME ANY WHERE.
Does he think serious companies such as Google, Microsoft, even Govts pay Assembly, C and Cpp guys same amount as Python guys? They won't even be sitting together, 'cos the thinking is different
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 12:16am On Oct 13, 2015
The fight btw Compiled Langs and Interpreted langs is like that of a Computer Scientist vs. IT WHATEVER. Back to the Fundamentals. With Python alone I doubt if one can understand the concept of operator overloading.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 8:39am On Oct 13, 2015
Hibrahym:
The fight btw Compiled Langs and Interpreted langs is like that of a Computer Scientist vs. IT WHATEVER. Back to the Fundamentals. With Python alone I doubt if one can understand the concept of operator overloading.
then u ave'nt read the right book or done the right research do u even program in python
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 11:21am On Oct 13, 2015
Hibrahym:
If anyone says that C, C++, FORTRAN are boring langs, tell 'em they're either ignorant or silly bigot.
1. Many OS now are days are written in combination of ASM, C and C++.
2. Java, Python, PHP and their families are implemented in C and C++.
3. Facebook and Google Search are both Product of C++.
4. Firefox, Opera, GC... Are cpp.
5. No one want to code sth like fighter jet nav sys in Java.

POINT NO 2 SHLD BE ENOUGH FOR THE REASONABLE.
Did you have to be insultive. Na wa o.
You can learn concepts of programming without learning C.
I can tell you for sure that sine experienced Statusc++ and C programmers say that they use c++ not because they enjoy it but because they don't have a choice.
I repeat fundamentals of programming and how to think like a programmer can be learnt even without learning C or C++.these are concepts and the programming language whatever you choose will just be a tool to use.
Learning C or C++ is not a must to begin into the programming world.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 7:40pm On Oct 13, 2015
qidos121:
then u ave'nt read the right book or done the right research do u even program in python
Python is a tool written in C. Back to the Basics, man.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
mexzony:

Did you have to be insultive. Na wa o.
You can learn concepts of programming without learning C.
I can tell you for sure that sine experienced Statusc++ and C programmers say that they use c++ not because they enjoy it but because they don't have a choice.
I repeat fundamentals of programming and how to think like a programmer can be learnt even without learning C or C++.these are concepts and the programming language whatever you choose will just be a tool to use.
Learning C or C++ is not a must to begin into the programming world.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be insultive. Jus' presentin' proofs. C, Cpp prevents global warming, see this: https://mempko./2014/04/01/c-and-climate-change/
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hibrahym:
Python is a tool written in C. Back to the Basics, man.
if you think so
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 8:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
qidos121:
if you think so
No time to think in when the evidences are clear. U don't like Linux xcept u like Python. I call Python "the next to C, C++" tool. In fact:

def not_a_retard():
print('I DO RECORGNISE ELEGANCE.')
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 8:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hibrahym:

No time to think in when the evidences are clear. U don't like Linux xcept u like Python. I call Python "the next to C, C++" tool. In fact:

def not_a_retard():
so y does it have an implementation in java and .net
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 8:59pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hibrahym:

def not_a_retard():
i didnt talk to u abt linux
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 10:14pm On Oct 13, 2015
qidos121:
so y does it have an implementation in java and .net
what please?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 11:07pm On Oct 13, 2015
qidos121:
i didnt talk to u abt linux
I'm just saying Python became a Standard in Most linux distribution. Thats how great it is. Look, hacker like Eric Raymond(catb.org) holds the opinion that Py shld be learn first. From xperience, I'm telling u that any good background in C++ guarantees ease in Py and the likes. C++ and Perl are the most hated langs, u wonder why?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 10:13am On Oct 14, 2015
Hibrahym:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be insultive. Jus' presentin' proofs. C, Cpp prevents global warming, see this: https://mempko./2014/04/01/c-and-climate-change/
Hmm interesting article but did you read the comments and arguments being put forth.
Iet me ask you a personal question. If the higher level languages were as fast as c++ in every aspect such that there is no difference to performance of programs written in c++ or any higher level language would you still code in that messy language tongue?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
mexzony:

Hmm interesting article but did you read the comments and arguments being put forth.
Iet me ask you a personal question. If the higher level languages were as fast as c++ in every aspect such that there is no difference to performance of programs written in c++ or any higher level language would you still code in that messy language tongue?

Example of ur "higher level" language b4 my response(s), pls. And why C++ is messy.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 3:35pm On Oct 14, 2015
Hibrahym:

Example of ur "higher level" language b4 my response(s), pls. And why C++ is messy.
Python c# java and others.
C++ has so many potholes even in the overall design of the language that is still much of an issue today.
I can tell you that even experienced programmers who have coded in that language for years never master the language even some have said that they use it to code stuffs like games and low level stuff silmply because they don't have a choice. Also on another note i can tell you that apples objective C is also a language that is not liked at all but what can the programmers do. I think you should look up the design and issues with the language on Google or do some research. Its an extremely powerful language I don't argue with that at all.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 11:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
mexzony:

C++ has so many potholes even in the overall design of the language that is still much of an issue today.
I can tell you that even experienced programmers who have coded in that language for years never master the language even some have said that they use it to code stuffs like games and low level stuff silmply because they don't have a choice. Also on another note i can tell you that apples objective C is also a language that is not liked at all but what can the programmers do. I think you should look up the design and issues with the language on Google or do some research. Its an extremely powerful language I don't argue with that at all.
1. An example of pothole in C++?
2. What makes them so high level?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dlee1(m): 10:07am On Oct 15, 2015
Hello Meklex,
please is there any android application that works like micromedia fireworks 8 and wow slider, if there is any please kindly let me know, thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 11:18am On Oct 15, 2015
Hibrahym:

I'm just saying Python became a Standard in Most linux distribution. Thats how great it is. Look, hacker like Eric Raymond(catb.org) holds the opinion that Py shld be learn first. From xperience, I'm telling u that any good background in C++ guarantees ease in Py and the likes. C++ and Perl are the most hated langs, u wonder why?
looks like you are a boss. how about you give me some advice i just started python
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2015
Hibrahym:
what please?
python has implementation in java and .net
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2015
mexzony:

U raised some issues.
1. Potholes in overall design.
2. Experience programmers that coded in Cpp in years never mastered it.
3. Some code it in b'cos they've choice.
B4 my answers are these issues correct?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hibrahym: 5:03pm On Oct 15, 2015
qidos121:
looks like you are a boss. how about you give me some advice i just started python
It all start with why u're learning. First, Are u a Computer Science student? Why and want do u want to do?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by qidos121(m): 8:40pm On Oct 15, 2015
Hibrahym:

It all start with why u're learning. First, Are u a Computer Science student? Why and want do u want to do?
i'm learning cause i love solving problems and computer, i also love creativity so i decided programming would be good for me, i'm currently seeking for admission to study computer science at unilag. I want to prove that the black man isn't dumb by creating an app white people will take and use seriously, it's high time they started using things we create, it shouldn't be one sided. This are my reasons sir, any advice.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (167) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.