Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,050 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? (8586 Views)

My Manhood Has Stopped Working. / TRANSFORMATION: Obama Explains Why He Stopped Smoking / My Nephew Has Autism, How Do We Manage It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by omenka(m): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2013
Started smokin in 2005, stoped somewhere between february and june 2010. Was averagin 25 sticks a day. Made delibrate effort to quit earlier, but all in futility. I kinda stoped indelibrately when I changed the company I kept. Almost all my friends were smokers. After I landed a job, the pple in whose company I constantly find myself (mostly coleagues) were non smokers and their disposition towards the habit somhow rubed off on me.. Been clean since then.

But I don't mess with my Black Label wink
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Rooneyboy(m): 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
can we call this thread
"THE SMOKERS' PARADISE" ?
grin grin grin
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Rooneyboy(m): 2:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
kingsceemark: I smoke 2 sticks everyday, i don't see myself as a smoker. What do you think guys grin

2 sticks x30 days= 60 sticks
2 sticks x365 days=730 sticks yearly , indeed, u are not a smoker one bit
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by lucom: 3:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
Quit smoking in my first year in school,that December at my eldest brother's wedding I had an overdose of White London+B&H+Rothmans all on the same night thereafter this terrible migraine came and I felt as if my head should be removed from the rest of my body,the pain was so much I was forced to pray for my life and in that prayer that night I actually begged God to spare me because I got really scared and I vowed to my God that "if He can take the pain away I'll never smoke again" I slept off afterwards and woke up to a perfect health. Since then I've not even had a single drag.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Goldenheart(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2013
Smokers are liable to die like a chicken...
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by talktimi(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2013
Stopped 2009, all of a sudden I felt like throwing up anytime I put a cigarette in my mouth so I just stopped.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
i'm trying to quit but its so hard... do to my nature and job i even like d cigarette so much. if not for d health awareness i should always hav cigarette in m mouth... but i'm on 3sticks daily because i'm so scared of dieing like Yaradua when u hav alot of things to still do for ursef or after jst achieving ur dream...
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Insanity(m): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2013
Wow! Nice Thread.
Been smoking since Feb 2006. i smoke approx 10 sticks/day and i don't drink. i've tried stopping once but 9days was all i could endure. I enjoy smoking while reading, i guess that's why i graduated with a good result...ℓoℓ.
I've heard of the nicotine gum that helps during the withdrawal period, how and where do i get the gum?
What of cannabis? i think it has the same effect on the lungs as the cigrattes...considering the fact that you inhale n exhale smoke in both cases. Anyone with a different idea should let me know.

#SaveTheLungs!
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by hardbody: 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2013
Just stop if you feel the need to. As for my belief, a guy has got to die of something, if nicotine be the cause, so be it. I still smoke and harbor no immediate plans of stopping. I have uncles that smoked and are upwards of 70 and 80 years, so what the heck? People die everyday either in road accidents, plane crashes, buildings coming down on them, tsunamis, etc.....were they all smokers? Abegi make I hear word. I stop and start when I choose and will put a final stop to it when I decide.

3 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by hardbody: 3:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
Insanity: Wow! Nice Thread.
Been smoking since Feb 2006. i smoke approx 10 sticks/day and i don't drink. i've tried stopping once but 9days was all i could endure. I enjoy smoking while reading, i guess that's why i graduated with a good result...ℓoℓ.
I've heard of the nicotine gum that helps during the withdrawal period, how and where do i get the gum?
What of cannabis? i think it has the same effect on the lungs as the cigrattes...considering the fact that you inhale n exhale smoke in both cases. Anyone with a different idea should let me know.

#SaveTheLungs!

Guy cannabis is lots better than cigarettes, I do not have a scientific proof though
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 3:36pm On Jan 17, 2013
From jan 1 I kept on saying that the pack on me will be the last but I'm still buying it. I tried going on a couple days ago, but the day was horrible, lol, I believe I was in tears. I hope to quit by the end of this month but with all the stress it's quite hard. Atm, it's like my only luxury, when days are hard I can look forward to it. undecided

I usually smoke a pack of 20(menthols) in three or four days so to not feel bad but I'm doing it, slowly but surely. sad

The thing I hate about it is that fact it has darkened my lips.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Maxymilliano(m): 3:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
16 years down the wire, never thought of quitting, at least not for now, never gave a second thought to the negative effects either, something must have to be responsible for our demise. Lol...
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dayokanu(m): 3:50pm On Jan 17, 2013
Kandiiikane shocked shocked
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by chidikus: 3:51pm On Jan 17, 2013
saw my image at the mirror ,became ashamed ,dats w i stopped smoking that i tied for 16yrs to stop,image of my cf never knew was w i look when smoking
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by AMvanquish: 3:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
Quit last friday! Could only last 6 dayz.. After a stressful day yesterday, I just had to take a drag mehn.. Giving it a go to quit 2moro again... I'm seriously trying to get get my psycology in check, dis time it has to happen.. Smoking for 10yrz olready, averaging 3-9 sticks a day.. Fact is we know its dangerous to health, but its addictive. And honestly sometimes it gives u dat relief or should I say escsape. God help me and those tryna quit.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
dayokanu: Kandiiikane shocked shocked

It's a shame but it's good to hear from people going through the same experience. cry
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dayokanu(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
Its not as hard if you have the willpower
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dickhardener: 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane: From jan 1 I kept on saying that the pack on me will be the last but I'm still buying it. I tried going on a couple days ago, but the day was horrible, lol, I believe I was in tears. I hope to quit by the end of this month but with all the stress it's quite hard. Atm, it's like my only luxury, when days are hard I can look forward to it. undecided

I usually smoke a pack of 20(menthols) in three or four days so to not feel bad but I'm doing it, slowly but surely. sad

The thing I hate about it is that fact it has darkened my lips.
do u mind telling how u got started.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 4:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: do u mind telling how u got started.

I started in 08, I had issues and I was going through a lot then, it was the only thing I found solace in. The ironic thing is, I was always indoors, I was never the outgoing party goer or someone who loved to hang out with friends where you could pick up the habit. None of my friends ever smoked.

dayokanu: Its not as hard if you have the willpower
Lol, but the thing too sweet, nau. Especially after a shyty day but anyways, my target is end of this month.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
dayokanu: Its not as hard if you have the willpower
Willpower to stop smoking is just a cliche. Allen Carr has proved willpower is not what it takes, and that trying through willpower is only going to fail. It takes love for self, honesty, commonsensical reasoning and saying 'I've had enough' (which is what can be likened to willpower).

Cos when 'willpower' fails, those primary reasons that drive the desire to quit will remain.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dominique(f): 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2013
dayokanu: Kandiiikane shocked shocked

you sef open mouth shocked shocked shocked
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dickhardener: 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

I started in 08, I had issues and I was going through a lot then, it was the only thing I found solace in. The ironic thing is, I was always indoors, I was never the outgoing party goer or someone who loved to hang out with friends where you could pick up the hIabit. None of my friends ever smoked.

Lol, but the thing too sweet, nau. Especially after a shyty day but anyways, my target is end of this month.
does smoking really taste or feel good or it's more psycological?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dickhardener: 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

I started in 08, I had issues and I was going through a lot then, it was the only thing I found solace in. The ironic thing is, I was always indoors, I was never the outgoing party goer or someone who loved to hang out with friends where you could pick up the habit. None of my friends ever smoked.

I don't mean to be judgemental but constructively critical. Don't you think your adoption of that habit has mo
re to do with deliberate adventure and not necessarily because you needed solace from being a recluse or your supposed heightened tensions.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by fkaz(m): 4:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
Men 1997 uptill date..... Still burning tobacco av tried to stop but little frustration take me back.

And this bad attitude of me staying alone, is now getting worse
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 4:48pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: I don't mean to be judgemental but constructively critical. Don't you think your adoption of that habit has mo
re to do with deliberate adventure and not necessarily because you needed solace from being a recluse or your supposed heightened tensions.

No.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 4:55pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: does smoking really taste or feel good or it's more psycological?

It's not about the taste but how it makes you feel, it's also psycological because it becomes the first thing you think of when you're stressed, angry, upset etc. Within those minutes of smoking, you are in a world of your own. This is from my own experience anyway. I could find something to relieve me during a stressful period but I am an addict and my only option is the smoke.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dickhardener: 5:09pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

It's not about the taste but how it makes you feel, it's also psycological because it becomes the first thing you think of when you're stressed, angry, upset etc. Within those minutes of smoking, you are in a world of your own. This is from my own experience anyway. I could find something to relieve me during a stressful period but I am an addict and my only option is the smoke.
oh o.k it will be safe to assume that u are kinda comfortable being an addict. Anyways cheers and all the best with the experience
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by newmusic: 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2013
Started smoking in 2001 and stopped in 2005. I don't have a specific amount I smoke but then the room get so thick and clouded with white flames, even at a time I had bronchitis, still I continued smoking, kai!. I stopped smoking when I was in kano, in a strictly Muslim environment where cigarette is not available, whenever I go to Badawa, The Redeem family house where I spend weekends, a brother who was actually smoking igbo and ciggy, few of us used to perceive the odour and we were like how can this guy be fooling himself, lmao! I don't want them to think the same about me, so like twice I stayed 3 months without smoking(unless I went to Sabon Gari), then I made up my mind if I can stay this long without smoking , then I don't see why I should continue smoking...never smoked after then even in the midst of smokers, I don't!

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Dopefiend(m): 5:56pm On Jan 17, 2013
Stopping is a personal tin and it takes a lot of willpower nt to succumb again. I smoked a few sticks in my early years. Detest cigs angry bt weed? Oh lawd have mercy! Yall should migrate to weed cheesy

kandiikane:

This. My weed tho
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by godmanxtreme(m): 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
;DI think all things can be changed from your mindset thinking off a particular addiction can make you win it has help me conquer my disabilities walahi! I think all things can be changed from your mindset thinking off a particular addiction can make you win it has help me conquer my disabilities walahi! I think all things can be changed from your mindset thinking off a particular addiction can make you win it has help me conquer my disabilities walahi!
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 17, 2013
Am nt a smoker bt i tasted 9 sticks during 1 nyt vigil late 2008,i was doing big boy dat nyt since then no more......datz a miracle..lol
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Revolva(m): 6:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
coolJust started sef !!!!! And I don't do cigerette I do weed!!!! Ewe rarra roororo ro!!!toto no sweet pass shoko!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? / Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister / 6 Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Cloves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.