Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? (8584 Views)

My Manhood Has Stopped Working. / TRANSFORMATION: Obama Explains Why He Stopped Smoking / My Nephew Has Autism, How Do We Manage It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by tydi(m): 7:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
 started smokin@ †нє age of 15 nd A̶̲̥̅♏‎​ 22 nw....nd  cnt stop it nw..A̶̲̥̅♏‎​ on both weed nd ciga.... b boss nah.....representin 9ja wiz khalifar
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by ibrolala1(m): 7:40pm On Jan 17, 2013
I started smoking in 1998 and stopped in 2011, was it easy for me? NO! but one thing is that i don't smoke during ramadan fasting all through the years i smoked, in 2010 I was determined to quit, so I said to myself that if i can stay through out the month of ramadan fasting without smoking then i should be able to stop, fasting in 2010 was around July or so, I was able to stay without smoking till December that year and I said to myself if i could stay till the end of that year i will never go back to it but I dissapointed myself on 31st Dec after drinking the appetite for smoking came and i resumed till ramadan of 2011, which was around August or so but that time i was really determined, I prayed to God to help me and I also decided to stop drinking I notice once I'm drinking the feeling for smoking comes, thanks to Allah I stopped taking beer and till this day i have stopped smoking, I even
get irritated when i passive the smell of cigarette.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by loneytunes(m): 7:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
A really nice thread! First smoked when I was about 5 or so and never did again untill when I was either 14 or 15. Mine was a start-stop affair with smaoke but totally quit in 1998 due to new friends I was moving with on campus.

One thing is quite clear: its not something beneficial. Like some NLers said earlier, God helped them. I also pray that God will help all who desire to stop. You may not agree with my advise, but Jesus can help us stop whatever habit we want to stop.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
I began smoking full time in 2000 and I would break for a while as I saw cannabis as the final kick. but the influence of friends made me resume until 2008 when after easter I just quit. weed was harder but when I was serving I discovered it was not going to be easy living that weird klaro lord life so I gave up and since then I have stopped lighting fires to my lips. What helps the most is having company that are into different activity like I had this friend who I was into a relationship with and she was into church activities so she kinda took my spare time and I quit smoking.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by UncleJJ(m): 8:23pm On Jan 17, 2013

wink
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by sammy329(m): 8:33pm On Jan 17, 2013
This is a warning to all those people

who don't SMOKE or DRINK...
.One day all ur friends will die and u will be left alone!!!!!
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Snikaz(m): 9:09pm On Jan 17, 2013
Try this: put a stick of ur favourite brand in a kettle add 1 cup of water, then boil, Drink de water when its warm. If u drink it all, u will nt smoke for days..
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 9:12pm On Jan 17, 2013
Btw, to those that have quit, have you seen any difference regarding your health? How about your skin? Did your lip colour get back to normal?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 9:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
^ You know, I've been reading through the responses which increased since the topic made the FP and I noticed that you were the only smoker on this thread who admitted having an addiction. That is a good thing and one of the 1st steps on the road to quit.

Every smoker has a nicotine addiction but many do not like to admit it, and it's virtually impossible to stop for people who prefer to deny the fact that nicotine has a hold over them. See, if you can be patient enough, do this (it's better if you haven't smoked for some time): Observe how you feel in your head immediately after you inhale the first drag - it takes less than a second for nicotine to hit your brain and if you're not observant enough you may not even notice it, that's the feeling of nicotine in action.

Regarding your question, there is a mental boost which improves your psychological well-being and your breathing also improves. The body heals and restores itself naturally (though the lungs can never fully return to be like a a non-smoker's) and there are lung cleansing techniques (diet, herbs) all over the internet if you wish. As for the lips, there's consolation in that they can never get darker than they are after you stop burning them, but I believe that they would lighten with time as your skin replenishes itself too though much slower than other organs.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 9:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
1forall: ^ You

Huh?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
Snikaz: Try this: put a stick of ur favourite brand in a kettle add 1 cup of water, then boil, Drink de water when its warm. If u drink it all, u will nt smoke for days..

hw sure
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 9:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane: Huh?

Completed
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 17, 2013
woke up last vals day and asked myself y i was smoking(been smoking since 97)dropped the habbit that day and still never going back
cant stand snokers
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane: Btw, to those that have quit, have you seen any difference regarding your health? How about your skin? Did your lip colour get back to normal?
lips are looking healthier,gained a few pounds,can actually complete a 90mins game now
could not even play 15 mins back then
major diff

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by questioner: 10:10pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

It's not about the taste but how it makes you feel, it's also psycological because it becomes the first thing you think of when you're stressed, angry, upset etc. Within those minutes of smoking, you are in a world of your own. This is from my own experience anyway. I could find something to relieve me during a stressful period but I am an addict and my only option is the smoke.

I should have been criticizing or judging you if not for the fact that I have my own personal issues that in a way relates to yours. I don't smoke nor drink but my personal stress reliever ? S.ex (hope am not derailing).

The way you described your smoking addiction closely aligns with my attitude towards sex. I mean once I am stressed, I just need to have sex, doesn't matter the time, the day or with who or where I am. Its not even about the 'pleasure' per se. its just that it acts as my escape route to another world.

I know its a crazy and dangerous habit but I'm trying my best to break free. God help me
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
hardbody:

Guy cannabis is lots better than cigarettes, I do not have a scientific proof though
just google the scientific evidence and ull see
cigs is slow suicide
atleast cannabis is good for some medical ailments
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane: Btw, to those that have quit, have you seen any difference regarding your health? How about your skin? Did your lip colour get back to normal?
my lips are partly red now and I feel healthier now.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 17, 2013
questioner:

I should have been criticizing or judging you if not for the fact that I have my own personal issues that in a way relates to yours. I don't smoke nor drink but my personal stress reliever ? S.ex (hope am not derailing).

The way you described your smoking addiction closely aligns with my attitude towards sex. I mean once I am stressed, I just need to have sex, doesn't matter the time, the day or with who or where I am. Its not even about the 'pleasure' per se. its just that it acts as my escape route to another world.

I know its a crazy and dangerous habit but I'm trying my best to break free. God help me
addictions.... best way to get over this is to search for God with all your heart cos this is heavier than nicotine dependence.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by questioner: 10:32pm On Jan 17, 2013
lari03: addictions.... best way to get over this is to search for God with all your heart cos this is heavier than nicotine dependence.

You really think so ? any personal experiences ?

Maybe when I have the time I might open a thread on sex addiction and how peeps coped with or got out of it
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2013
questioner:

You really think so ? any personal experiences ?

Maybe when I have the time I might open a thread on sex addiction and how peeps coped with or got out of it
bro I would rather tell you of my smoking issues, cos that's decent stuff. I done did a lot of bs that will never leave my lips,back when some emotional cravings crawled up my mind.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 10:49pm On Jan 17, 2013
Day 17
Its not been easy.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by questioner: 10:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
lari03: bro I would rather tell you of my smoking issues, cos that's decent stuff. I done did a lot of bs that will never leave my lips,back when some emotional cravings crawled up my mind.

You talking like a true brother who's been through some bs due to addiction (sex that is)

I mean you end up doing some crazy crazy shit, that even you personally find disgusting (even while doing them) just because you need to have sex . . . . .

I mean there some shit that I find so bad that even thinking about them hurts not to talk of talking about it . . . .

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nordi(m): 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2013
No doubt is good post, the concept of taking decision to stop and mean it is worth trying, it will help as it helped me too.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 11:09pm On Jan 17, 2013
1forall:

Completed

Thank you. I have noticed the hit, it worst when I have not smoked for a day. I literally find it hard to see straight or stand straight. I usually have to sit down. And it may also be because of the mixtures of menthols because that's when you can taste it for-when you haven't smoked for a while.

I had admit being addicted because I want quit. I find that people judge me negatively because of it but I really cannot blame them because smoking is seen as a negative attribute.

For my lips, I keep looking back at my old pictures and my lips were lighter but now my top lips has gone too dark for my liking and my bottom lip is starting to. People would never know I'm a smoker unless I tell them but some days when I've smoked a lot I notice it gets darker than usually and dry so I usually scrub it hard until it starts to peel.

lari03: my lips are partly red now and I feel healthier now.

That's good news, hopefully mine will go back when I finally go off it.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 11:12pm On Jan 17, 2013
milehigh06:
lips are looking healthier,gained a few pounds,can actually complete a 90mins game now
could not even play 15 mins back then
major diff

Lol, I know right. My breathing even when I sing is completely messed up.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2013
[quote author=kandiikane]

Thank you. I have noticed the hit, it worst when I have not smoked for a day. I literally find it hard to see straight or stand straight. I usually have to sit down. And it may also be because of the mixtures of menthols because that's when you can taste it for-when you haven't smoked for a while.

You definitely need to get some nicotine gum( I used bitter kola and coffee as alternative stimulants cos I loved losing my self by using weed.) You also need to probably think of a lifestyle overhaul(maybe you could start learning how to play a musical instrument,something you are passionate about sha, so that when the urge comes you have something else to turn too.
I had admit being addicted because I want quit. I find that people judge me negatively because of it but I really cannot blame them because smoking is seen as a negative attribute. Self righteous people who refuse to acknowledge that they have their own flaws. I'd rather help a person cos what I have been through and from what i have seen,people struggle a lot in silence, why make it harder for them by being judgmental? You will quit successfully if you believe in yourself. You have my support. wink wink wink
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 11:50pm On Jan 17, 2013
It's good you say you want to quit. Now you've done it for 4+ years and developed a psychological addiction too (you say it's sweet and you find solace in it), so its smart to set a realistic target quit date and not a hopeful one. You would need to deal with both addictions - psych and nicotine. I personally think the psych one is more difficult to get rid of than the other.

Thinking point: Have you truly had enough? Or do you still want that last one?

Like I said earlier if you really mean business; research Allen Carr, the British guy who stopped smoking after 33 years. He was doing 100 sticks/day (imagine that shocked) by the time he quit at age 48. He went on to live to 72. After he stopped, he became a quitting smoking evangelist and an expert at psychological dependency analysis writing many books, delivering lectures and TV programs, and developing a quitting method they now call the Allen Carr method. He said that one of the reasons a smoker finds it hard to quit is fear. Yes, that fear. The fear that you will no longer 'enjoy' a cigarette. The fear of failing to quit. And there are certainly other fears. During Allen Carr's sessions he allowed participants to go outside to smoke and come back to continue.

See, once you start to find out about Allen Carr, you're bound to come across other quitting smoking stuff. Just follow the leads of the Internet there's lots out there to pick up on.

For people like you and me (before) who 'enjoy' it and find it hard to think of a life without bazz wink quitting smoking is more of a process than an act, so start yours as soon as you notice you have that mental momentum to let it go.

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by questioner: 12:03am On Jan 18, 2013
kandiikane:

I had admit being addicted because I want quit. I find that people judge me negatively because of it but I really cannot blame them because smoking is seen as a negative attribute.

For my lips, I keep looking back at my old pictures and my lips were lighter but now my top lips has gone too dark for my liking and my bottom lip is starting to. People would never know I'm a smoker unless I tell them but some days when I've smoked a lot I notice it gets darker than usually and dry so I usually scrub it hard until it starts to peel.

That's good news, hopefully mine will go back when I finally go off it.

Seems like you pushing your body to the limit sis,

But you know what ? I believe in you. Somehow, you sound like someone who can win this battle.

I just pray you can banish the demons once and for all this year.

I'm with 1forall on this - You have my support - @team Kandi

3 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 18, 2013
I really envy you guys that have stopped, and when i mean stop, i mean FINALLY stopped! i started smoking in my 1st year in the university through the influence of a course mate and a very close friend, infact my very 1st friend in school. before then i hated smokers like hell, infact i remembered advising my little uncle to stop smoking, and as a science student i even told him the hazards; distortion of the pulmonary system, darkening of lungs, cancer and the rest of them.......Then my mum had a bar, where she sells drinks, meat(pepper soup, nkwobi etc), cigarrette etc, and anytime a customer calls fora cigarette, though i would serve the person, but it surely would go with a long advice. I started smoking in 2001/02, then i stopped in 2008. I started again in 2010 when i lost my job and since then i've been smoking. Honestly, it's not easy to stop but i know i'll stop someday; probably when i get a job. though i'm not a chain smoker. i smoke like 2 sticks a day, highest 3! I honestly hope and pray to stop soon,cos any babe i meet always complain about it.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by willyo(m): 12:29am On Jan 18, 2013
knockturnal: Nice post 1forall, i think there is where my problem lies. I want to quit just cos of the negative impact smoking has on my health.

Other than that i REALLY DO LIKE SMOKING. i think i have to get to that place where i av to ABHORE the habbit before i can truely be successful.

Kinda similar sit8tion hia.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 12:33am On Jan 18, 2013
questioner:

Seems like you pushing your body to the limit sis,

But you know what ? I believe in you. Somehow, you sound like someone who can win this battle.

I just pray you can banish the demons once and for all this year.

I'm with 1forall on this - You have my support - @team Kandi

Awwh, thanks. I will do bestm. kiss

@1forall, right now my mind is at the 'last one' stage that's why I've given myself until the end of the month so I can get my round it. I will look into allen carr too. Thanks for the advice. smiley

@lari03, believe me, I've tried the gum, inhaler, patch but I only lasted for 2weeks back in 2010 I think. I will try to find something to keep myself off. Thank you smiley
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by StarFlux: 3:59am On Jan 18, 2013
Calculate the total cost of your smoking habbit, the number will shock you. Ask non-smokers around you how it is to get smoke in the face and how you stink of nicotine.

One thing I don't tolerate, it's my friends firing up a smoke when I'm standing close. Smoke is just disgusting, shortens your life and has no benefit. Use the money on something actually useful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Cure To Hiv? / How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? / Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.