Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,291 members, 7,811,868 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? (8583 Views)

My Manhood Has Stopped Working. / TRANSFORMATION: Obama Explains Why He Stopped Smoking / My Nephew Has Autism, How Do We Manage It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Trudprism: 7:27am On Jan 18, 2013
I just decided to stop. It is strange but true. It is determination and nothing more. I really can't explain.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Cutex01(m): 8:09am On Jan 18, 2013
I pers0nally detest cigarette but... ยก l0ve ma sk0nk
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Concept(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2013
I experienced nervous breakdown & I was told by the doctor that my smoking was the cause but still couldn't agree not until I began noticing that anytime I smoked I felt that funny stuff in my body again then I decided to quit. I started smoking in either 1994/95 & stopped in the year 2000 however smoking is a bad habit, if you get addicted I pray that God delivers you. I would wake up in the middle of the night to look for cigarette in the neighbourhood if I have forgotten to buy some in the evening. It was that bad. I thank God, for so many years now I don't even count cigarette as been relevant to me anymore.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Osas001: 9:20am On Jan 18, 2013
knockturnal: Were you a smoker? Have you stopped Smoking? How long now and how did you manage to succeed?

I stopped smoking cuz it wasn't adding any value 2 me, rather makes me look too worried.. Its not been easy, bt am victorious about it. I made up my mind to stop and now I did and I am glad I stopped. Cuz I remember every sunday I return frm service I always tell myself I dnt want to smoke bt I still did, so gradually I stopped thinking abt it. Now I can stay wit any1 smoking n I won't be moved or drawn to it, even if u offer me I won't accept, its jst knowing ur limits, self esteem.. Datz all dat helped me and the Holy Spirit also did a great work..
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by doveweed(m): 9:31am On Jan 18, 2013
I started smoking in 1998 and i stopped in June 2008, before then i was averaging 20 sticks a day, not only that i was into smoking cannabis and other substances too. But one day i woke up in the middle of the night, stripped myself naked, went on my knees and cried unto GOD that i want to stop the habit and never feel the urge to smoke again or even feel irritated/discomfort anytime the scent of the substances fill the air, and that was the last time i ever smoked till now. It worked for me,hope it works for you.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 18, 2013
1forall:
Willpower to stop smoking is just a cliche. Allen Carr has proved willpower is not what it takes, and that trying through willpower is only going to fail. It takes love for self, honesty, commonsensical reasoning and saying 'I've had enough' (which is what can be likened to willpower).

Cos when 'willpower' fails, those primary reasons that drive the desire to quit will remain.

Exactly. Its not all about willpower. For me, what helped was 'love for self' and saying 'enough'.

I started just before I got into the university and it became official in school. Given my love for alcohol, I was averaging 8-10 sticks. On a liquor-free day, I'd say 5. Admittedly, It wasn't that bad compared to my goons who normally would smoke a pack in two days max.

Cigarettes are terrible. I couldn't really pinpoint any reason why I was fond of it but I would always want a puff early in the morning, after a meal, before going to bed, while studying etc.

Now I'm straight though, its been two months cool .... Of course two months is to early to draw conclusions given that I'd quit for 5 months before but now I feel better and healthier than ever and I don't think I'm going back to it.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kandiikane(m): 1:30pm On Jan 18, 2013
Concept: I experienced nervous breakdown & I was told by the doctor that my smoking was the cause but still couldn't agree not until I began noticing that anytime I smoked I felt that funny stuff in my body again then I decided to quit. I started smoking in either 1994/95 & stopped in the year 2000 however smoking is a bad habit, if you get addicted I pray that God delivers you. I would wake up in the middle of the night to look for cigarette in the neighbourhood if I have forgotten to buy some in the evening. It was that bad. I thank God, for so many years now I don't even count cigarette as been relevant to me anymore.

LmaOooo, I understand. I've done that so many times. It's seriously messed up.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Baba419(m): 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2013
SIDE EFFECTS ARE FOR NIGG.AS LIVING LIKE ANIMALS!!
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Maxidoe(m): 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
Great topic, i started smoking in 1994,smoked more of weed than Cigarette though, it was bad, i never thought i could stop.Then in school when we gist we used to say something must kill man,we all agreed that ours would either be liver probs cos of alcohol, cancer cos of weed and cigarette, or HIV cos of womanizing,while going for service went with my stach and when it finished in camp it became a problem, but gradually the desperation made me rethink,it was never easy, thought it was gonna finish me, but during my primary assigment met some wonderful ladies my wife inclusive who did a hell of a job on me, thought kinda stopped weed,but could not stop bazz, finally stoped sometimes in the year 2010, only drink socially now,it is not easy, but you need to be determined, really determined, you dont want to imagine the health risks.Wish you all the best as you strive to stop, it has not been easy,but marrying and having a cute pretty girl gives me all the inspiration,look for an inspiration,a reason worth it.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2013
Maxidoe: Wish you all the best as you strive to stop, it has not been easy,but marrying and having a cute pretty girl gives me all the inspiration,look for an inspiration,a reason worth it.

Nice one, i think i will look in dat direction.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by overdrive(m): 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
How far poster hope u are still holding on or hv u gone back to d habit as for me I am still cool and also hang out wt ppl that smoke d urge is no more there but I am not yet taking alco,that will still wait.cheers
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 10:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
Na brother, am still hanging in. the urge is still there though its dissipating. Am still using every ounce of determination to fight it. It take so much determination to make it through the day.

I ll get there though.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 12:36am On Jan 29, 2013
Hey keep on keeping on men, it's the smarter thing to do. Remember no matter how bad/hard it may feel not to be able to engage in the stinking killer habit, it's even worse to do so. As for me I feel better in my body, I don't stink or cough, I breathe better and I think I'm noticing slight changes in my eyes and skin. I shake my head in my mind when I see my colleagues trooping out to smoke. It feels good to be a nonsmoker. I feel free men and I just wanna encourage you to stay the course if only for your lungs' sake.

The other day I saw myself smoking in a dream, when I woke up I just laughed at my mind (the old smoker's mind). I also verbally uprooted the seed that may have been sown in my mind by that picture, by speaking to myself that I was NEVER going to touch a cigarette again until I felt I was convinced in what I was saying. There's no way I'm getting tricked back into that sheit again men, not a chance in freaking hell!
...The battle continues cheesy
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by reyvape: 12:52pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hello, i will advise you to get nicotine gums and an ecigarette that contains a significant amount of nicotine to help him quit smoking.
you can check on [url]reyvape.com[/url] , nigeria number one smoking accessories store

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Cure To Hiv? / How Do You Cope With The Mouth Odour During Ramadan? / Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.