Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Does The Quran Permit Suicide? - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? (24668 Views)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Marriage According To The Quran And Sunnah. / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Paschal007: 10:43pm On Jan 08, 2013
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 10:46pm On Jan 08, 2013
I think the unfortunate statements made by some leading Islamic Clerics lend credence to such question as asked by the OP. Statements such as;

"The purest joy in Islam is to kill and be killed for Allah".

"In order to achieve the victory of Islam in the world, we need to provoke repeated crises, restore value to the idea of death and martyrdom. If Iran has to vanish, that is not important. The important thing is to engulf the world in crises"

Ayatollah Khomeini

Also, passages such as;

The tradition has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Qais. He heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: [size=13pt]Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords[/size]. A man in a shabby condition got up and said; Abu Musa, did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this? He said: Yes. (The narrator said): He returned to his friends and said: I greet you (a farewell greeting). Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (naked) sword towards the enemy and fought (them) with it until he was slain. Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4681

Sahih al-Bukhari ,

Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The example of a Mujahid in Allah's Cause—and Allah knows better who really strives in His Cause—is like a person who fasts and prays continuously. Allah [size=16pt]guarantees[/size] that He will admit the Mujahid in His Cause into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return him to his home safely with rewards and war booty." Volume 4, Book 52, Number 46

Bukhari (4.52.220) goes as follows:

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand."

Some might therefore argue that suicide is a legitimate strategy in pursuance of the cause. This can be seen in groups like the Taliban, BH etc. Its a tough situation.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by salbis(m): 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2013
grafikii: But those enemies of mine who did
not want me to be king over them--
bring them here and kill them in front
of me.'" Luke 19:27
Luke 19:11 (And as they heard these things, he added and spake a PARABLE, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. Get your quotation right dude! The PARABLE goes " a certain nobleman .................!
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tbaba1234: 11:38pm On Jan 08, 2013
tiarabubu: I think the unfortunate statements made by some leading Islamic Clerics lend credence to such question as asked by the OP. Statements such as;

"The purest joy in Islam is to kill and be killed for Allah".

"In order to achieve the victory of Islam in the world, we need to provoke repeated crises, restore value to the idea of death and martyrdom. If Iran has to vanish, that is not important. The important thing is to engulf the world in crises"

Ayatollah Khomeini

Also, passages such as;

The tradition has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Qais. He heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: [size=13pt]Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords[/size]. A man in a shabby condition got up and said; Abu Musa, did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this? He said: Yes. (The narrator said): He returned to his friends and said: I greet you (a farewell greeting). Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (naked) sword towards the enemy and fought (them) with it until he was slain. Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4681

Sahih al-Bukhari ,

Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The example of a Mujahid in Allah's Cause—and Allah knows better who really strives in His Cause—is like a person who fasts and prays continuously. Allah [size=16pt]guarantees[/size] that He will admit the Mujahid in His Cause into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return him to his home safely with rewards and war booty." Volume 4, Book 52, Number 46

Bukhari (4.52.220) goes as follows:

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand."

Some might therefore argue that suicide is a legitimate strategy in pursuance of the cause. This can be seen in groups like the Taliban, BH etc. Its a tough situation.

^None of what you have written below suggest suicide but people slain in combat... As a muslim, i do believe that a person slain fighting a war against injustice or oppression will make paradise. That does not mean he should take his own life. The early muslims fought wars against enemies who were fighting back. They were not commiting suicide.

Now lets address your Qoutes

Quote 1:
The tradition has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Qais. He heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords. A man in a shabby condition got up and said; Abu Musa, did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this? He said: Yes. (The narrator said): He returned to his friends and said: I greet you (a farewell greeting). Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (Unclad) sword towards the enemy and fought (them) with it until he was slain. Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4681

We get the whole speech of the prophet in bukhari, as regards the paradise under the 'shade of swords:

.Allah's Apostle in one of his military expeditions against the enemy, waited till the sun declined and then he got up amongst the people saying, "O people! Do not wish to meet the enemy, and ask Allah for safety, but when you face the enemy, be patient, and remember that Paradise is under the shades of swords."

Then he said, "O Allah, the Revealer of the Holy Book, and the Mover of the clouds and the Defeater of the clans, defeat them, and grant us victory over them."(Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 266l)

What does that sound like to a rational thinking person. It makes it abundantly clear that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught his followers to hate violence and never desire conflict with the enemy. However, in the event of a battle, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged his companions to be patient and informed them of the reward promised by God to those who die fighting oppression and injustice.

Quote 2:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The example of a Mujahid in Allah's Cause-- and Allah knows better who really strives in His Cause----is like a person who fasts and prays continuously. Allah guarantees that He will admit the Mujahid in His Cause into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return him to his home safely with rewards and war booty."

This is obviously talking of one killed in a battle.. This has nothing to do with suicide/ a suicide mission. There are rules to battles in Islam which I already addressed earlier.

Narrated By 'Abdullah : During some of the Ghazawat of the Prophet a woman was found killed. Allah's Apostle disapproved the killing of women and children. (Saheeh Muslim Book 019, Hadith Number 4319).

Then Abu Bakr, the first caliph based on the prophetic teaching advised a military commander, Yazid, "I advise you ten things| Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly." Maliks Muwatta Book 021, Hadith Number 010.

Quote 3:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand." Abu Huraira added: Allah's Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures (i.e. the Prophet did not benefit by them).

The word used here is ru'b which refers to fright and anxiety. To understand better lets examine a similar narration.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "I was given victory through Ru`b (fear and anxiety): the enemy becomes filled with Ru`b (fear and anxiety) even though they are the distance of a month's journey away from me." (Ahmad #20337)

This simply means that the enemies of Islam and those who hated the prophet, were overcome by fear and anxiety as He gained power. It has nothing to do with suicide.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
tbaba1234: ue

Not True..
i. A kuffar does NOT mean all non- muslims . It means to bury, reject and deny the truth when it comes to you. A non-muslim who is presented with Islam in its pure form and rejects it, is a kaffir. One who rejects.

ii. "Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: For Allah loves those who are just" (60:cool

Kafir (Arabic: كافر‎ kāfir, plural كفّار kuffār) is an Arabic term used in a Islamic doctrinal sense, usually translated as "unbeliever," "disbeliever," or "infidel."

Kuffar is the plural of the word Kafir. It means 'unbelievers'. (NOTE: NOT DISBELIEVERS!) http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=kuffar

What are non-muslims if not unbelievers?

the Qur'an contains numerous verses in which more detailed definitions are provided the kafir is referred to as:

Odious: "(Such) as dispute about the signs of God, without any authority that hath reached them. Grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of God and of the Believers." [40: 35]
Mocked: "But on this Day the Believers will laugh at the Unbelievers." [83: 34]
Punished: "But ye have indeed rejected (Him), and soon will come the inevitable (punishment)!" [25: 77]
Terrorized: "I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers." [8: 12]
Destroyed: "Of the wrong-doers the last was remnant was cut off. Praise be to God, the Cherisher of the Worlds." [6: 45]
Slain: "Seize them and slay them wherever ye get them: in their case we have provided you with a clear argument against them." [4: 91]
Crucified: "The punishment of those who wage war against God and His Apostle, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides." [5: 33]
Evil: "Say thou: 'Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)." [37: 18]
Cursed: "They shall have a curse on them: wherever they are found." [33: 61]
www.wikipedia.org

Now to address the lies:

i.

There is NO reference like Sahih Muslim 20:4381,,,ro The deceit here is disgusting, trying to paint the prophet as a violent man.

THe Qoute is :

..Allah's Apostle in one of his military expeditions against the enemy, waited till the sun declined and then he got up amongst the people saying, "O people! Do not wish to meet the enemy, and ask Allah for safety, but when you face the enemy, be patient, and remember that Paradise is under the shades of swords."

Then he said, "O Allah, the Revealer of the Holy Book, and the Mover of the clouds and the Defeater of the clans, defeat them, and grant us victory over them."(Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 266l)

This narration makes it abundantly clear that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught his followers to hate violence and never desire conflict with the enemy. However, in the event of a battle, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged his companions to be patient and informed them of the reward promised by God to those who die fighting oppression and injustice.

Please be honest at least when you Quote

OK...? What about this hadith that gives us another perspective different from the explanations of islamnewsroom.com

The tradition has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Qais. He heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords. A man in a shabby condition got up and said; Abu Musa, did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this? He said: Yes. (The narrator said): He returned to his friends and said: I greet you (a farewell greeting). Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (Unclad) sword towards the enemy and fought (them) with it until he was slain.
Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4681

The exhortation from the Prophet spurred the man (i) who obviously was in no shape to fight ie in a shabby condition (ii) to desire to face the enemy and death (iii) knowing fully well he aint coming back (a suicidal mission) cos he broke his sheath and said goodbyes (iv) and walked to his death (v) with the promise of paradise for his action !

Another one

Full transcript:

And the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "I have been ordered to fight the people until they testify that there is no deity worthy of worship other than Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establish the prayer, and pay zakat, and if they do this, then their blood and money shall be protected from me, except by an Islamic right, and their account will be with Allah.

There is a huge difference between two words. Killing (qatl) is one-directional, whereas fighting (qital) implies mutuality, i.e., that there are two sides fighting each other.

The word here is people not non-believers.

Qital means Fighting, battle or war (Islamic dictionary). Mutuality of fighting, battle or war DOES NOT confer legitimacy on the aggressor! Its dishonest to suggest so. One side usually instigate a fight, a battle or a war. The other side has few options. Fight back or run! When Hitler invaded Poland, it was a war but purely instigated by the Germans! Does that confer legitimacy on the assault?

Whether the victims were people or non believers doesnt matter. THEY WERE HUMANS nonetheless. Because they were not "non-belivers" somehow makes it right? undecided

This narration lists some of the pillars of Islam that Muslims must adhere to. The fighting being ordained here refers to the enforcement of laws and regulations within an Islamic state. Just as modern governments enforce their legal policies, so to does the Islamic state. These legal policies refer to Muslims paying their Zakat (charity tax) and abiding by the laws in an Islamic state. Those who understood the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) the best, were his companions, and we can examine their application of the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to derive a better understanding.

You forgot this part:

And the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "I have been ordered to fight the people until they testify that there is no deity worthy of worship other than Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establish the prayer, and pay zakat, and if they do this, then their blood and money shall be protected from me, except by an Islamic right, and their account will be with Allah.

Their "blood and money shall be protected FROM me" sounds like their lives and possessions shall only be protected IF they become Muslims! If that is the system of Islamic Governance, its clear where non-Muslims stand in an Islamic society

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by okoomoge2(m): 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
Tunjee may Allah continue to bestow upon you his Rahama.

As an add on to the Jihad issue, the best Jihad in the sight of Allah is Jihad anafsu- the Jihad you do against your own mind to retaliate when someone offends you and you have the might to crush the offender. The Jihad you do against your mind when you have the power to embezzle public funds and you know nothing will happen, the jihad you do against your own mind when the belongings of an orphan is left in your care, the jihad you do against your mind to say the truth even at gun point. This is the best for form of Jihad for the mumin and the miminat.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tbaba1234: 11:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
A little bit intellectual honesty from people Quotes Ayat will go a long way. Please people read to see the[b] DISHONESTY[/b]. I will bolden the missing parts to expose the dishonesty. An example:

cold:
Quran (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Full Quote: Fight in God’s cause against those who fight you, but do not overstep the limits:c God does not love those who overstep the limits. Kill them wherever you encounter them,d and drive them out from where they drove you out, for persecution is more serious than killing. Do not fight them at the Sacred Mosque unless they fight you there. If they do fight you, kill them– this is what such disbelievers deserve– but if they stop, then God is most forgiving and merciful. 193 Fight them until there is no more persecution, and worship is devoted to God. If they cease hostilities, there can be no [further] hostility, except towards aggressors. (Surah 2 190-193)

I. Fight those who fight you.

ii. Do not fight them at the sacred mosque unless they fight you

iii. If they stop hostility, you too stop... Only fight aggressors

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 11:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
tbaba1234:

^None of what you have written below suggest suicide but people slain in combat... As a muslim, i do believe that a person slain fighting a war against injustice or oppression will make paradise. That does not mean he should take his own life. The early muslims fought wars against enemies who were fighting back. They were not commiting suicide.

Now lets address your Qoutes

Quote 1:

We get the whole speech of the prophet in bukhari, as regards the paradise under the 'shade of swords:

.Allah's Apostle in one of his military expeditions against the enemy, waited till the sun declined and then he got up amongst the people saying, "O people! Do not wish to meet the enemy, and ask Allah for safety, but when you face the enemy, be patient, and remember that Paradise is under the shades of swords."

What does that sound like to a rational thinking person. It makes it abundantly clear that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught his followers to hate violence and never desire conflict with the enemy. However, in the event of a battle, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged his companions to be patient and informed them of the reward promised by God to those who die fighting oppression and injustice.

Quote 2:

This is obviously talking of one killed in a battle.. This has nothing to do with suicide/ a suicide mission. There are rules to battles in Islam which I already addressed earlier.

Narrated By 'Abdullah : During some of the Ghazawat of the Prophet a woman was found killed. Allah's Apostle disapproved the killing of women and children. (Saheeh Muslim Book 019, Hadith Number 4319).[

Then Abu Bakr, the first caliph based on the prophetic teaching advised a military commander, Yazid, "I advise you ten things| Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly." Maliks Muwatta Book 021, Hadith Number 010.

Quote 3:

The word used here is ru'b which refers to fright and anxiety. To understand better lets examine a similar narration.

[i]The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "I was given victory through Ru`b (fear and anxiety): the enemy becomes filled with Ru`b (fear and anxiety) even though they are the distance of a month's journey away from me." (Ahmad #20337)

This simply means that the enemies of Islam and those who hated the prophet, were overcome by fear and anxiety as He gained power. It has nothing to do with suicide.

I am not arguing whether or not these statements and passages explicitly orders suicide bombing. this is what I wrote;

I think the unfortunate statements made by some leading Islamic Clerics lend credence to such question as asked by the OP. Statements such as

Your explanations are better made to Boko Haram, Taliban, Sunni Bombers in Pakistan etc and your Muslim brothers who use suicide bombing. They have learned Sheiks and Mullahs who obviously disagree with you.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/taliban_spurn_islamic_clerics.php
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Stundey(m): 12:03am On Jan 09, 2013
Christians are as guilty as other religious sects in term of world crime - Adolf Hitler, Napoleon B, George Bush, etc were all Christians.
Even u that segregates and discriminates is guilty of TERRORISM.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Li2musty(m): 12:16am On Jan 09, 2013
TroGunn: 1) Does Islam approve of killing people for any reasons?
2) Please what are these justified reasons for killing, if true?
3) Which is considered more serious sin - making cartoons or videos mocking the Prophet or suicide bombing?
4) Is it ok for muslims to protest and attack people who mock the Prophet?
5) Any particular reasons why muslims don't protest or do jihad against suicide and other attacks on muslims/non-muslims by the so-called misguided islamists, being as you all say such attacks misrepresent and insult Islam?
tenx my man
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tbaba1234: 1:11am On Jan 09, 2013
Kafir (Arabic: كافر‎ kāfir, plural كفّار kuffār) is an Arabic term used in a Islamic doctrinal sense, usually translated as "unbeliever," "disbeliever," or "infidel."

Kuffar is the plural of the word Kafir. It means 'unbelievers'. (NOTE: NOT DISBELIEVERS!) http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=kuffar

What are non-muslims if not unbelievers?

the Qur'an contains numerous verses in which more detailed definitions are provided the kafir is referred to as:

Odious: "(Such) as dispute about the signs of God, without any authority that hath reached them. Grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of God and of the Believers." [40: 35]
Mocked: "But on this Day the Believers will laugh at the Unbelievers." [83: 34]
Punished: "But ye have indeed rejected (Him), and soon will come the inevitable (punishment)!" [25: 77]
Terrorized: "I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers." [8: 12]
Destroyed: "Of the wrong-doers the last was remnant was cut off. Praise be to God, the Cherisher of the Worlds." [6: 45]
Slain: "Seize them and slay them wherever ye get them: in their case we have provided you with a clear argument against them." [4: 91]
Crucified: "The punishment of those who wage war against God and His Apostle, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides." [5: 33]
Evil: "Say thou: 'Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)." [37: 18]
Cursed: "They shall have a curse on them: wherever they are found." [33: 61]
www.wikipedia.org

Are you debating Arabic with me? grin That would be fun... hehe.. People use it interchangebly but it is used very specifically in the Qur'an. You should not bring up something, you know nothing about..

Let's go to lanes lexicon, a classical arabic dictionary and a common reference for those who study the Quran:

He veiled, concealed, hid, or covered, the thing: (S, A,*
Mgh,* Mqb, ; smiley or he covered the thing so as to
detroy it:
(Az, TAsmiley and &C* .' , aor. [and
inf. n.] as above, he corered it; covered it /

http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume7/00000148.pdf

You can not cover something, you have not been given.. This is the root of the word, like a farmer who buries a seed.... You bury/cover/deny the truth when it presented to you.

You will see many translations but the most appropriate one in light of the meaning of the word is disbeliever or rejecter. An unbeliever might have nothing to cover or deny if he is not exposed to the truth.

It is simple really.

Your explanations are better made to Boko Haram, Taliban, Sunni Bombers in Pakistan etc and your Muslim brothers who use suicide bombing. They have learned Sheiks and Mullahs who obviously disagree with you.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/taliban_spurn_islamic_clerics.php

I do not know of any main stream cleric that supports suicide bombings, but they are some on the fringes that promote it to fulfill their agendas and use their influences to get recruits.

Just as it is difficult to get through to some of you, christians, it is diffiult to get through to people like that.

From your link you see:

It will build on the October pronouncement by the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al al-Sheikh, that explicitly condemned suicide bombings. Although an official gathering of Afghan religious scholars this summer determined that suicide attacks "have no legitimate foundation in Islam," its declaration, like other similar pronouncements in the past, has clearly been ignored by the Taliban and allied militant groups.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/taliban_spurn_islamic_clerics.php#ixzz2HQh3yLXf

If they don't listen to those people, who will they listen to? Has Boko Haram not attempted to kill muslim leaders that speak up against them?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by bongila(f): 2:56am On Jan 09, 2013
@ All who are speaking out against Islam and its warped teachings,you can argue till you are blue in the face,they won't agree.
Let them be,keep praying that God should fight for us simple.

@Op you are really Islam friendly innit? So you already know the answer to your own question.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 3:26am On Jan 09, 2013
Amazing how people can read the same passage and decipher it completely differently to suit their own means as to what makes "them" comfortable

Giving your Life in an Act Of "War" or Your "Perceived" war, is not a suicide.

Suicide Bombing is a term that was implanted by Anti Islamic Media to try and "Cowardize" their "Heroic" act.

An American goes to Iraq, and Loses his Life in "War"

The entire nation celebrates him as a "War Hero".

A Saudi Loses his Life in the Battle Against Islamic Oppression by Zionist and The Western World..

And Suddenly the Label "Suicide" is attached to it, Suddenly a "Cowardice" Connotation is Attached to it.

...A Warrior is a Warrior.

Whether Good or Evil...

A Warrior is Still a Warrior
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 5:31am On Jan 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

There are a number of things to clear here:

1. People who kill themselves have committed a huge sin that could earn them the fire... suicide is forbidden. People try to go round the rules looking for justification to push their agenda, but it is clear from the Quran and the sayings of the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him)

Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily God hath been to you Most Merciful! If any do that in rancor and injustice, soon shall We cast them into the Fire: And easy it is for God. Chapter 4 Verse 29 - 30

Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him." (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 445)
What Prophet Mohammed that did alot of unjust killings by slaying the Jews in Medina to Mecca?Go and study your history very well.And please explain the concept of Jihad and the 72 Virgin things for us so that those of us that do not know can be better enligthened

Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak:"And if somebody commits suicide with anything in this world, he will be tortured with that very thing on the Day of Resurrection. (Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 73)

2. The issue of '72 virgins' is not taken seriously by muslims. It come from a narration that is considered weak or fabricated with no chain of narration. Inspite of this, It has become popular amongst non-muslims who use it as a weapon to attack Islam.

3. Jihad means to struggle against an opposing force. It does not necessarily have to be physical. To work really hard to pass an exam is a jihad, To fight against injustice with or without arms is a Jihad. It is a very broad term and should not be restricted to armed conflict.

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:05am On Jan 09, 2013
Li2musty: Hey guys let me tell u somtin jihaad means wen u fighting for religion and den u died das d meaning of jihaad oooo not to go n kill people and kill urself in d name of jihaad........

But suicide bombing has become an effective way some muslims fight for their religion. Clearly from everything written here, it's ok for a muslim to violently fight against perceived injustice or in furtherance of islam.

Some muslims are just using a military strategy (suicide attack) that's known to be effective to achieve those aims and reckon it's acceptable. You can't blame their logic, being as killing is ok.

If throwing a bomb against or gunning down the oppressor or oppressor's representative is good, why not suicide bombing which is more effective way of killing? It's still about ensuring the bomb goes off, just that it means the person carrying out the attack will not survive it - little wonder it's considered martyrdom and has wide appeal among Islamists.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by folafola(m): 6:05am On Jan 09, 2013
One thing Islam does not believe in is freedom of religion. If Islam takes over America, or any other country, there wouldn't be a choice of religion. The Quran states: "If anyone desires a religion other than Islam, never will it be accepted of him; and in the hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost." (Surah 3:85) Many of the teachings of Islam are incompatible with progress and contradict common sense. Neither are they compatible with human rights or civil rights. Here are a few examples of the teachings of Islam:

1. Men are superior to Women. (Sura 2:228)
2. Women have half the rights of men:
a-In court witness (Sura 2:282)
b-In inheritance (Sura 4:11)
3. A man may beat his wife. (Surah 4:34)
4. A man may marry up to four wives at a time (polygamy). (Sura 4:3)
5. Muslims must fight until their opponents submit to Islam. (Sura 9:5)
6. A Muslim must not take a Jew or Christian for a friend. (Surah 5:54)
7. A Muslim apostate must be killed. (Surah 9:12)
8. Stealing is punished by amputation of hands. (Surah 5:41)
9. Adultery is punished by public flogging. (Surah 24:2)
10. No separation between church and state. (Surah 2:193)
11. No opposition parties allowed. (Surah 4:59)

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Geewan(m): 6:07am On Jan 09, 2013
TroGunn: 1) Does Islam approve of killing people for any reasons?
3) Which is considered more serious sin - making cartoons or videos mocking the Prophet or suicide bombing?
4) Is it ok for muslims to protest and attack people who mock the Prophet?
5) Any particular reasons why muslims don't protest or do jihad against suicide and other attacks on muslims/non-muslims by the so-called misguided islamists, being as you all say such attacks misrepresent and insult Islam?

You can do yourself a lot of good by answering these questions below first.
1) Does Christianity approve of killing people for any reasons? Or are you telling no christian has ever killed?
3) Which is considered more serious sin - Genocide, blasphemy or deceit? Hiroshima & Nagasaki were not attacked by a muslim country.
To your 4th question, why do you have to mock a prophet? What happened to the Judge not in Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37?
5) Any particular reasons why christians don't protest when some misguided christians represent christianity in bad light since this is regarded as insult to christianity?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: Amazing how people can read the same passage and decipher it completely differently to suit their own means as to what makes "them" comfortable

Giving your Life in an Act Of "War" or Your "Perceived" war, is not a suicide.

Suicide Bombing is a term that was implanted by Anti Islamic Media to try and "Cowardize" their "Heroic" act.

An American goes to Iraq, and Loses his Life in "War"

The entire nation celebrates him as a "War Hero".

A Saudi Loses his Life in the Battle Against Islamic Oppression by Zionist and The Western World..

And Suddenly the Label "Suicide" is attached to it, Suddenly a "Cowardice" Connotation is Attached to it.

...A Warrior is a Warrior.

Whether Good or Evil...

A Warrior is Still a Warrior

Points well made. This is likely close to how the suicide attackers justify their actions, and you can't fault their logic. Once killing others is acceptable, how it's done isn't important and the effective method will be used.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 09, 2013
Geewan:

1) Does Christianity approve of killing people for any reasons? Or are you telling no christian has ever killed?
3) Which is considered more serious sin - Genocide, blasphemy or deceit? Hiroshima & Nagasaki were not attacked by a muslim country.
To your 4th question, why do you have to mock a prophet? What happened to the Judge not in Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37?
5) Any particular reasons why christians don't protest when some misguided christians represent christianity in bad light since this is regarded as insult to christianity?

You should stop derailing the thread. Unless bringing up Christianity is a legit way of defending Islam, or is it?

2 Likes

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by bongila(f): 6:41am On Jan 09, 2013
tongue
Geewan:

Trick question this,you should have answered his question first,then go put up a similar post to ask yours. But no,you have to drag Christianity in just so you won't have to answer the questions he asked.

Truth is I am yet to see a muslim that can convincingly show me how Islam promotes peace. It is always half-baked truths,diversion techniques. Make una rest abeg,all na wash and we are not learners
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Geewan(m): 7:00am On Jan 09, 2013
@TroGunn and bongila

How am i derailing the thread?
Your successfully answering these questions will go a long way in providing answers to the questions you seek since I believe answers to all these questions have been given earlier.

And if you truly believe suicide is allowed in Islam why are you people still alive. Are there no muslims where you leave?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by maclatunji: 7:05am On Jan 09, 2013
Geewan: @TroGunn and bongila

How am i derailing the thread?
Your successfully answering these questions will go a long way in providing answers to the questions you seek since I believe answers to all these questions have been given earlier.

And if you truly believe suicide is allowed in Islam why are you people still alive. Are there no muslims where you leave?

Create another thread for your questions. I hid some other posts because they would take us away from the theme of this thread. You can post the link of your new thread here and the answers can be posted there.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Geewan(m): 7:09am On Jan 09, 2013
folafola: One thing Islam does not believe in is freedom of religion. If Islam takes over America, or any other country, there wouldn't be a choice of religion. The Quran states: "If anyone desires a religion other than Islam, never will it be accepted of him; and in the hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost." (Surah 3:85) Many of the teachings of Islam are incompatible with progress and contradict common sense. Neither are they compatible with human rights or civil rights. Here are a few examples of the teachings of Islam:

1. Men are superior to Women. (Sura 2:228)
3. A man may beat his wife. (Surah 4:34)
4. A man may marry up to four wives at a time (polygamy). (Sura 4:3)
5. Muslims must fight until their opponents submit to Islam. (Sura 9:5)
6. A Muslim must not take a Jew or Christian for a friend. (Surah 5:54)
7. A Muslim apostate must be killed. (Surah 9:12)
8. Stealing is punished by amputation of hands. (Surah 5:41)
9. Adultery is punished by public flogging. (Surah 24:2)
10. No separation between church and state. (Surah 2:193)
11. No opposition parties allowed. (Surah 4:59)

You've really shot yourself in the leg!
1 Timothy 2:11-12 clearly states:
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."
Genesis 3:16
To the woman He said, "I will greatly multiply Your pain in childbirth, In pain you will bring forth children; Yet your desire will be for your husband, And he will rule over you."

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

"He who wrongs a Jew or a Christian will have myself as his accuser on the Day of Judgment." (Al-Bukhari).

{Say: ‘O People of the Scripture. Come to an agreement between us and you: that we shall worship none but Allah, and that we shall ascribe no partners unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside Allah. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him)’.} (Al-Imran 3: 64).

Exodus 21:24
Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Leviticus 20:10 - And the man that committeth adultery with [another] man's wife, [even he] that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

Seriously you need to stop derailing this thread!
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Geewan(m): 7:12am On Jan 09, 2013
maclatunji:

Create another thread for your questions. I hid some other posts because they would take us away from the theme of this thread. You can post the link of your new thread here and the answers can be posted there.

Thank you.

Well noted!

Thanks!
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by leonshom(m): 7:41am On Jan 09, 2013
I guess its not, cuz no true Religion wuld actually Preach Suicide to its followers.
Also,no religion wuld support Genocides.
Islam and Christianity are Monotheistic religions,there4,dey shud preach peace 2d world and stop all d fighting and killings of one another.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 8:24am On Jan 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

Are you debating Arabic with me? grin That would be fun... hehe.. People use it interchangebly but it is used very specifically in the Qur'an. You should not bring up something, you know nothing about..

Let's go to lanes lexicon, a classical arabic dictionary and a common reference for those who study the Quran:

He veiled, concealed, hid, or covered, the thing: (S, A,*
Mgh,* Mqb, ; smiley or he covered the thing so as to
detroy it: (Az, TAsmiley and &C* .' , aor. [and
inf. n.] as above, he corered it; covered it /

http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume7/00000148.pdf

You can not cover something, you have not been given.. This is the root of the word, like a farmer who buries a seed.... You bury/cover/deny the truth when it presented to you.

You will see many translations but the most appropriate one in light of the meaning of the word is disbeliever or rejecter. An unbeliever might have nothing to cover or deny if he is not exposed to the truth.

It is simple really.

I do not know of any main stream cleric that supports suicide bombings, but they are some on the fringes that promote it to fulfill their agendas and use their influences to get recruits.

Just as it is difficult to get through to some of you, christians, it is diffiult to get through to people like that.

From your link you see:

It will build on the October pronouncement by the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al al-Sheikh, that explicitly condemned suicide bombings. Although an official gathering of Afghan religious scholars this summer determined that suicide attacks "have no legitimate foundation in Islam," its declaration, like other similar pronouncements in the past, has clearly been ignored by the Taliban and allied militant groups.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/taliban_spurn_islamic_clerics.php#ixzz2HQh3yLXf

I know your favorite escape route "the true meanings of the Koran are in classical Arabic"! unfortunately, that argument can be used years ago when access to information was not as good as today.

I can argue classical Arabic with you because I can reference sources and scholars who are obviously better and more experienced than you. What makes your interpretation of terms better than that of Pitchal or Yusuf for example? undecided if your translation is not "tent" today its "stake" tomorrow. LOL!

Unfortunately, its the same tactic used by clerics to drum things into the head of gullible people - "the true meanings of the Koran are in classical Arabic" to which nobody other than the cleric can dechiper. And so the despicable things keep happening.

If they don't listen to those people, who will they listen to? Has Boko Haram not attempted to kill muslim leaders that speak up against them?

So we keep quiet and let them kill us all abi ?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by 1stestees(m): 8:39am On Jan 09, 2013
Suicide is not allowed in Islam under whatever ground(s). It is allowed to die in battle fighting for a cause but not to kill or blow up yourself whether to kill or inflict pain on others.
As for the case of these BH bombers, its unfortunate but d truth must be said that they are misguided. A gd number of them dnt understand d basics of islam.
You may hav heard dis saying that 'southern muslims care more abt islamic knowledge than faith, whereas our northern brethen care more abt d faith than d Islamic knowledge'. D sound knowledge translates a healthier. faith
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by nagoma(m): 9:36am On Jan 09, 2013
Net 1. Men are superior to Women. (Sura 2:228)
THE SAME or ACTUALLY WORSE IN THE BIBLE.
iN YOUR COMMUNItY THE WOMEN HAVE ZERO RIGHT. InINHERTANCE THE WIFE IS OFTEN TORTURED FOR" KILLING" THE HUSBAND
CHECK THE HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY AND SEE .
SEE 2 ABOVE , THE MUSLIM LAW of INHERITANCE Is THE MOST FAIR and JUST. iF THE WHOLE WORLD FOLLOWS IT THERE WOULD BE NO LITIGATION ON INHERITANCE and OJUKWU's FAMILY WOULD HAVE KEPT SOME OF THEIR DIGNITY.REMEMBER TO READ ABOUT THE WILL in ISLMIC LAW.
3. A man may beat his wife. ( 4:34)
iF YOU HAVE THE COURAGE AND SINCERTY , REPRODUCE THE WHOLE Verse 34 and SHOW THE FAMILY CENTErEd CARE AND COMPASSION OF ISLAM.I WILL GET YOU THE VIOLENT VULGAR EQUIVALENT FROM THE BIBLE.
[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Devoted Muslims Praying Under The Rain. Photos/Video / Sallah Greetings to all Nairaland Muslim Ummah / Eid-El-Malud: Celebrants Block Road In Gombe State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.