Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Does The Quran Permit Suicide? - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? (24646 Views)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Marriage According To The Quran And Sunnah. / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by maclatunji: 9:55am On Jan 09, 2013
@Paschal007, I have started penalising people like you who quote very long articles from other websites without giving credit to the source.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Paschal007: 12:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
maclatunji: @Paschal007, I have started penalising people like you who quote very long articles from other websites without giving credit to the source.
sorry sir very unlike me. I forgot here it is http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/018-suicide-bombing.htm
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Wuse: 2:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
May the lord Almighty forgive ur uncle,and may he give u the fortitude to bear the irrepareable loss(Ameen)
Having said that,i want to congratulate u for ur determination to learn,unlike some of my christain brothers and sisters.
the religion books(both Bibble and Qur'an,i mentioned the bibble first becouse we muslims believe that the bible also is d word of of God and it also preceeds the Qur'an)emphasised the important of seeking for knowledge.
The Qur'an does not support sucide in whateve form and for what ever reason,ofcourse the Qur'an says(cld not quote directly)who ever takes his/her own life should find it self an abode in the hell fire.
My brother please take heart many muslims are not happy with the way places of worship espacialy churches are attacked.
In my futere posting i shall avail u with specific refferences both from the Qur'an and the hadith Insha allah

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by capsogiga(m): 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2013
TO SAY THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, THE HEART OF MAN IS JUST DAMN WICKED. IT GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, RACE, TRIBE OR NATION !!! NO RELIGION,TRIBE,RACE OR NATION HAS A MONOPOLY OF VIOLENCE.

IT IS NOT ONLY MUSLIMS THAT COMMIT SUICIDE IN ORDER TO KILL PEOPLE.
ERIC HARRIS, DYLAN KLEBOLD,ADAM LANZA,ANTHONY BARBARO, CHARLES WHITMAN etc WHO ARE ALL CHRISTIANS DID IT.

ADOLF HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN. HE KILLED 6,000,000 JEWS FOR BETRAYING JESUS.

POL POT WAS A BUDDHIST. HE KILLED MORE THAN 2,000,000 BUDDHISTS.

EZZA VS EZZILO= IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING IBO CHRISTIANS
UMUODE VS ORUKU(ENUGU STATE)-IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING THEMSELVES

UMULERI VS AGULERI= IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING IBO CHRISTIANS

IFE VS MODAKEKE= YORUBA CHRISTIANS/ MUSLIMS KILLING THEMSELVES

YANDABA VS YANTAURI= HAUSA MUSLIMS KILLING THEMSELVES

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK, A CHRISTIAN, KILLED 69 CHRISTIANS

NOW WHICH OF THE ABOVE IS NOT TRUE?

IN MY OPINION, THERE ARE NO RATIONAL REASONS FOR ALL THESE SENSELESS KILLINGS.SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS IS LIKE ASKING "WHY WAS JESUS BORN A JEW? OR WHY WAS'NT MUHAMMAD A BLACK MAN?

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 09, 2013
A large percentage of the response we are getting here are from southern nigerian muslims that are quite educated. There is a sharp contrast in the ideology of their northern folks in their practise of islam. Thus a serious education of this guys up north need to be carried out, and this is where I think the southern muslims need to do more.

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
capsogiga: TO SAY THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, THE HEART OF MAN IS JUST DAMN WICKED. IT GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, RACE, TRIBE OR NATION !!! NO RELIGION,TRIBE,RACE OR NATION HAS A MONOPOLY OF VIOLENCE.

IT IS NOT ONLY MUSLIMS THAT COMMIT SUICIDE IN ORDER TO KILL PEOPLE.
ERIC HARRIS, DYLAN KLEBOLD,ADAM LANZA,ANTHONY BARBARO, CHARLES WHITMAN etc WHO ARE ALL CHRISTIANS DID IT.

ADOLF HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN. HE KILLED 6,000,000 JEWS FOR BETRAYING JESUS.

POL POT WAS A BUDDHIST. HE KILLED MORE THAN 2,000,000 BUDDHISTS.

EZZA VS EZZILO= IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING IBO CHRISTIANS
UMUODE VS ORUKU(ENUGU STATE)-IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING THEMSELVES

UMULERI VS AGULERI= IBO CHRISTIANS KILLING IBO CHRISTIANS

IFE VS MODAKEKE= YORUBA CHRISTIANS/ MUSLIMS KILLING THEMSELVES

YANDABA VS YANTAURI= HAUSA MUSLIMS KILLING THEMSELVES

ANDERS BEHRING BREIVIK, A CHRISTIAN, KILLED 69 CHRISTIANS

NOW WHICH OF THE ABOVE IS NOT TRUE?

IN MY OPINION, THERE ARE NO RATIONAL REASONS FOR ALL THESE SENSELESS KILLINGS.SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS IS LIKE ASKING "WHY WAS JESUS BORN A JEW? OR WHY WAS'NT MUHAMMAD A BLACK MAN?

unfortunately for you we are talking about "suicide and violence in Gods service". If not we would be talking of Bashar Al Asad and the death of over 60,000 and counting or Saddam/Ayatollah wars that killed millions etc.

So to make sense look for similar violence in God's name if you wanna make a point. Unless just saying anything makes you feel good.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Stalwert: 7:38am On Jan 10, 2013
^
Yeah if not we will be talking about the Rwandan Genocide (total annihilation) of christians by christians to the tune of 900,000
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by salbis(m): 1:15pm On Jan 10, 2013
If you want to talk about man's cruelty to man, you would have brought up issues like: Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gadaffi etc. But the issue at hand is all about the relation between suicide and Quran!
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by salbis(m): 1:16pm On Jan 10, 2013
If you want to talk about man's cruelty to man, you would have brought up issues like: Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gadaffi etc. But the issue at hand is all about the relation between suicide and Quran. Thanks
!
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by capsogiga(m): 3:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
tiarabubu:

unfortunately for you we are talking about "suicide and violence in Gods service". If not we would be talking of Bashar Al Asad and the death of over 60,000 and counting or Saddam/Ayatollah wars that killed millions etc.

So to make sense look for similar violence in God's name if you wanna make a point. Unless just saying anything makes you feel good.

1.U GOT MY POINT BUT JUST PRETENDING NOT TO !!
2.FROM YOUR STATEMENT ''If not we would be talking of Bashar Al Asad and the death of over 60,000 and counting or Saddam/Ayatollah wars that killed millions etc''IT CAN BE EASILY DEDUCED THAT U ARE CHRISTIAN AND SAD/ASHAMED THAT CHRISTIAN NAMES CAME UP AS BLOODTHIRSTY KILLERS, ESPECIALLY HITLER THAT
KILLED 6,000,000 JEWS.
3.EXTRAJUDICIAL KILLING IS SAME EVERYWHERE (WHETHER ALUU KILLING OR BOKO HARAM).IT IS THE SAME WHETHER FOR RELIGIOUS, ECONOMIC,TRIBAL OR ANY OTHER REASONS(INCLUDING SUICIDE AND VIOLENCE IN GOD'S SERVICE AS U SAID) IN THAT THEY ALL RESULT IS SENSELESS LOSS OF HUMAN LIVES.
4.WHAT MAKES BEEN BURNT TO DEATH AT ALUU ANY BETTER OR WORSE THAN BEEN BOMBED BY BLOODTHIRSTY BOKO HARAM ?
5. IF U ARE SAYING IT IS BETTER TO BE KILLED BY ARMED ROBBERS RATHER THAN SUICIDE BOMBERS IN GOD'S SERVICE, PRAY SO AND I WILL SHOUT A BIG AMEN TO YOUR PRAYER. grin
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
salbis: If you want to talk about man's cruelty to man, you would have brought up issues like: Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gadaffi etc. But the issue at hand is all about the relation between suicide and Quran!
Incidentally you only remember Muslims who subdued their own people for power
What about Hitler (a Christian) who massacred 6million jews in COLD blood! His own issue was to carry further the Christians hatred of Jews and solve the jewish problem once and for all
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
tiarabubu:

I am not arguing whether or not these statements and passages explicitly orders suicide bombing. this is what I wrote;

I think the unfortunate statements made by some leading Islamic Clerics lend credence to such question as asked by the OP. Statements such as

Some might therefore argue that suicide is a legitimate strategy in pursuance of the cause. This can be seen in groups like the Taliban, BH etc. Its a tough situation.

Your explanations are better made to Boko Haram, Taliban, Sunni Bombers in Pakistan etc and your Muslim brothers who use suicide bombing. They have learned Sheiks and Mullahs who obviously disagree with you.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/12/taliban_spurn_islamic_clerics.php

Boko Haram and co did not originate this thread. So we have to answer here those who posted here
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
tiarabubu: unfortunately for you we are talking about "suicide and violence in Gods service". If not we would be talking of Bashar Al Asad and the death of over 60,000 and counting or Saddam/Ayatollah wars that killed millions etc.

Ok I suggest that we look at the Iraqi war which Palin called a task from God
And the American Christian soldiers who were shouting Jesus Killed Mohammed in the same Iraqi war
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:15pm On Jan 10, 2013
TroGunn:

But suicide bombing has become an effective way some muslims fight for their religion. Clearly from everything written here, it's ok for a muslim to violently fight against perceived injustice or in furtherance of islam.

Some muslims are just using a military strategy (suicide attack) that's known to be effective to achieve those aims and reckon it's acceptable. You can't blame their logic, being as killing is ok.

If throwing a bomb against or gunning down the oppressor or oppressor's representative is good, why not suicide bombing which is more effective way of killing? It's still about ensuring the bomb goes off, just that it means the person carrying out the attack will not survive it - little wonder it's considered martyrdom and has wide appeal among Islamists.

Let us look at two different things. The OP is talking about suicide and the argument is about that
If you are talking about fighting no one has the right to just pick up a gun and start shooting
Armed conflict must be authorised by a known and accepted leader of muslims who must follow a process known to mulsims
Shekau does not so qualify as the leader of muslims
Unless you want me to believe that majority of muslims in Nigerian start and break their fasts upon the pronouncement of Shekau.

Even when the Prophet (PBUH) authorised wars, he still forbade suicide. So nobody can plead that things are different now and justify suicide thereby

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
Bongo_man:

@Betathings,

Because you won't and cannot take another man's life for a cause you believe in doesn't mean tonns of extremist who share same fate with you won't.

These are quotes from Boko Haram leaders:

"For peace to reign in the land, all Christians must convert to Islam. Allah has tasked all Muslims in Quran chapter 9 verse 29 to continue to attack Jews and Christians who refused to believe in him and his messenger, Prophet Mohammed"

Abu Qaqa, explaining why his band massacred nearly one hundred worshippers, including children, in a series of attacks on churches in a single Sunday morning.

"Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in his life time flushed out all idol worshipers and their leaders and all these evils. So, our aim and target is to do so here... Allah commanded us to obey His Holy Quran. Whether one likes it or not, we will follow it... we will get people to believe Allah is one, and Muhammad, His Prophet. They will come to the right way. "

Ustaz Muhammed Yusuf, founder of the Boko Haram terror group that has been known to kidnap and behead Christian pastors who refuse to embrace Islam

“Whomever we kill, we kill because Allah says we should kill and we kill for a reason."

Abubakar Shekau, a cleric and spiritual leader calling for holy war against Christians.

"I enjoy killing anyone that Allah commands me to kill the way I enjoy killing chickens and rams"

A Boko Haram spokesman explaining his group's declared war on Nigerian Christians.

reference: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/in-the-name-of-allah.htm

Suicide bombing is Islam justified Sire.

I love and respect Islam and Muslims.

Sallam

This topic is about justification for suicide. I don't know how those guys are going to put their case before Allah on the day of resurrection. I cannot take that chance
I am sure you will not join in Rev King is burning adulterers. But he has his followers

1 Like

Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:38pm On Jan 10, 2013
bongila: @ All who are speaking out against Islam and its warped teachings,you can argue till you are blue in the face,they won't agree.
Let them be,keep praying that God should fight for us simple.
We Muslims know our religion. It is unfortunate that we have extremists
Our views of Christianity is not so flattering either. we can compile the atrocities of Christians which they can always justify too

bongila:
@Op you are really Islam friendly innit? So you already know the answer to your own question.
He said he should not hate as a Christian. Do you have a contrary advice?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2013
bongila: tongue Trick question this,you should have answered his question first,then go put up a similar post to ask yours. But no,you have to drag Christianity in just so you won't have to answer the questions he asked.

Truth is I am yet to see a muslim that can convincingly show me how Islam promotes peace. It is always half-baked truths,diversion techniques. Make una rest abeg,all na wash and we are not learners
Christians have dragged themselves into this fray by not relenting and trying to explain Islam to Muslims
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
BetaThings:

Let us look at two different things. The OP is talking about suicide and the argument is about that
If you are talking about fighting no one has the right to just pick up a gun and start shooting
Armed conflict must be authorised by a known and accepted leader of muslims who must follow a process known to mulsims
Shekau does not so qualify as the leader of muslims
Unless you want me to believe that majority of muslims in Nigerian start and break their fasts upon the pronouncement of Shekau.

Even when the Prophet (PBUH) authorised wars, he still forbade suicide. So nobody can plead that things are different now and justify suicide thereby

And the point is that fighting and suicide attacks are seen as one and the same thing. It's all about effective fighting strategy. As long as violent physical fight against perceived oppression and in furtherance of Islam is permmitted or even encouraged, then some might reason that any effective strategy is acceptable. From what's written, there are muslims who genuinely feel that sucide attack is being demonised by the West.

On the matter of armed conflict being authorised by a known and accepted leader, it's doubtful all muslims listen to any one leader these days. In most radicalised muslim lands, they always seem to be imams (like Shekau) who readily provide leadership and spiritual guidance to the Islamists. Contrary to simplification of suicde bombers as crackheads, quite a depth of belief is required for one to be committed to a cause to the extent of killing self for it.

The question is, in a situation where armed conflict against perceived oppression and in furtherance of Islam is deemed justified, are some military tactics off the table? Is there any reason why suicide attacks as a military tactic would be off the table, considering that such could even be considered matyrdom for the participants?
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by BetaThings: 5:29pm On Jan 10, 2013
rafhell: islam is all theories.
muslims love to live in self denial.
the truth is in ur actions
Actually Christians preach turn the other cheek
But they have started most wars
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Stalwert: 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
BetaThings:

Boko Haram and co did not originate this thread. So we have to answer here those who posted here

She was thoroughly debunked, what else should you expect grin grin
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2013
BetaThings:
Ok I suggest that we look at the Iraqi war which Palin called a task from God
And the American Christian soldiers who were shouting Jesus Killed Mohammed in the same Iraqi war

Oh dear! I didn't realize Palin was President of the US at the time.... Hmmm! Did I miss something? tongue
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by tiarabubu: 9:55pm On Jan 10, 2013
BetaThings:

This was to prove an instance of Al-taquiyya; telling us something different from reality. grin
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
Expectedly, thread degenerates into attack on another religion - a form of defense apparently.

The suicide bombers are apparently not criminals or mad - they seem sane and calculating, are not interested in money (like criminals) so their motivating factors must seem very real to them and quite strong.

Fact remains that as long as muslims would rather go defensive than face the real issue of why many muslims accept suicide attacks as a legit form of jihad, one can expect more Muttalabs- people wasting their lives and that of others.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by khattab02: 6:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
proo212: I see you guys have quietly side-stepped the issue of the suicide bomber wanting to kill in the cause of Allah. He did not commit suicide for no reason! What was his motive for committing suicide? To slay and be slain in the cause of Allah.Surah 9:111 You can change the focus of the discussion all you want but everyone knows why the guy blew himself up, he wanted to kill as many kuffars as possible and cast and terror in the hearts of the people in the north. Surah 3:151 Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!

Can you move freely in Borno, Yobe and some other northern states especially on a Sunday? Was there speculation the violence was likely during Christmas? Are people as free as they were before without thinking of their safety? Be honest with yourselves.

Answer the simple question truthfully whether or not its islamic, what was motive of his suicide? Striklymi, for a Christian you seem to readily accept the explanations given by the guys on this thread...
It unIslamic .U are Ignorantly quoting out of context.context has to be in war and the rules of war are very strict even during the time of other messengers.that is why their army passes through some test like,if u are married and u want to be with your wife,drinking of water,the strength of your camel and so on.all these are preparations.slay and be slain doesnt mean for anywrong or injustice cause.coz verily Allah knows who mean good and mischeif.
Re: Does The Quran Permit Suicide? by khadijah12(f): 6:16pm On Mar 04, 2016
tbaba1234:

There are a number of things to clear here:

1. People who kill themselves have committed a huge sin that could earn them the fire... suicide is forbidden. People try to go round the rules looking for justification to push their agenda, but it is clear from the Quran and the sayings of the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him)

Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily God hath been to you Most Merciful! If any do that in rancor and injustice, soon shall We cast them into the Fire: And easy it is for God. Chapter 4 Verse 29 - 30

Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him." (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 445)

Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak:"And if somebody commits suicide with anything in this world, he will be tortured with that very thing on the Day of Resurrection. (Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 73)

2. The issue of '72 virgins' is not taken seriously by muslims. It come from a narration that is considered weak or fabricated with no chain of narration. Inspite of this, It has become popular amongst non-muslims who use it as a weapon to attack Islam.

3. Jihad means to struggle against an opposing force. It does not necessarily have to be physical. To work really hard to pass an exam is a jihad, To fight against injustice with or without arms is a Jihad. It is a very broad term and should not be restricted to armed conflict.

I saw that somewhere about jihad. I also read that the physical fighting is called the minor jihad and prophet Mohammed (SAW) told his follows that they only fight if they are attacked first and if the other party surrenders they should too and go back to the major jihad which is like the struggle within yourself to keep to your faith and all that.
It's very clear that no one attached bokoharam so even if they want to attribute this to Islam, it doesn't hold water

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Devoted Muslims Praying Under The Rain. Photos/Video / Sallah Greetings to all Nairaland Muslim Ummah / Eid-El-Malud: Celebrants Block Road In Gombe State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.